What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HOT SPORTS TAKES - A man who won't stand for the anthem is an act that we as Americans shouldn't stand for (1 Viewer)

Championship Rings. The end all be all of sports. Rings is why Dan Marino can not be the best QB ever and someone could argue Dilfer is better. Not me, but Rings are the goal right?

And here we are on the verge of the the Miami LeBrons losing to the Spurs in the NBA Finals and all people can talk about is Lebron and his legacy. How many rings will he end up with? Will he catch Kobe? Will he catch MJ? How can he be the greatest player of all time if he doesnt have as many rings as these guys? Tim Duncan is about to get his 5th yet he's never even brought up in the great MJ vs the latest for GOAT.

Whats that you say? MJ is only tied for 10th in total rings? And Wade (3) has more rings then LeBron (2)?!?! So Robert Horry (7) must be greater then MJ (6) and Kobe (5)! Robert Horry?!

But Rings are what determine individual greatness in the world of team sports! If you don't got em, you cant be considered. Unless you have too many or played too long ago. Then they dont count. Sorry Bill Russell.
Yes, Kobe + Lebron = Horry.

Championship Rings. The end all be all of sports. Rings is why Dan Marino can not be the best QB ever and someone could argue Dilfer is better. Not me, but Rings are the goal right?

And here we are on the verge of the the Miami LeBrons losing to the Spurs in the NBA Finals and all people can talk about is Lebron and his legacy. How many rings will he end up with? Will he catch Kobe? Will he catch MJ? How can he be the greatest player of all time if he doesnt have as many rings as these guys? Tim Duncan is about to get his 5th yet he's never even brought up in the great MJ vs the latest for GOAT.

Whats that you say? MJ is only tied for 10th in total rings? And Wade (3) has more rings then LeBron (2)?!?! So Robert Horry (7) must be greater then MJ (6) and Kobe (5)! Robert Horry?!

But Rings are what determine individual greatness in the world of team sports! If you don't got em, you cant be considered. Unless you have too many or played too long ago. Then they dont count. Sorry Bill Russell.
Yes, Kobe + Lebron = Horry.
You mean big shot bob?

Lulz, Christopher Gaspard emailed me back after I sent a little poke in his direction.

I've never heard of that message board, but I'm glad you all enjoyed the column, even if it was with a laugh. I stand by my stance. I know the US isn't going to win the World Cup, novice and nuanced US fans alike know it too. I don't think anyone needs to be beaten over the head with it, though. I don't see what is gained by saying it, other than insulating yourself from blame if you're the coach. That's just my honest opinion. I'm sorry if the soccer snobs genuflecting at Jurgen's feet disagree. I do think Klinsmann is the right man for the job. I think it was clear a foreign-born coach was needed to take the program to the next level. I like his tactics. I don't like this particular loser's lament he has offered. Enjoy the World Cup.

OK, which one of you is Boston Globe columnist Christopher Gasper, and why are you stealing my HotTakes for your column today?

Some of you are probably still smoldering from the conflagration about Jurgen Klinsman's defeatism that I touched off on D-Day with this opening salvo:

Seventy years ago, when faced with a seemingly impossible task against an overwhelming adversary, did Dwight Eisenhower make excuses? Did he surrender before the fight even began? Or did he outline a bold vision that inspired his men to achieve more than they thought possible? And in the process change the world.

I’ll let Ike give the answer in his own timeless words, from the Order of the Day he issued to launch the D-Day invasion:

“We will accept nothing less than full victory.”
Gasper obviously is, since he stole it in today's paper.

My Take

Compare that to the cowardly utterings of Jurgen Klinsman, ironically a German
His Take

With Klinsman’s blunt assessment of the United States’ chances in the World Cup, he has revealed himself to be indelibly German.
NOTE: Even in his thievery, Gasper couldn't stand the heat and had to tone down "cowardly utterings"

My Take

What kind of words would an American coach offer to an American team before they began an international competition against impossible odds? I think Herb Brooks could offer some insight:

“Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over.”
His Take

Can you imagine the late Herb Brooks, coach of the gold medal-winning US men’s hockey team, carrying this attitude into the 1980 Winter Olympics? Do you believe in miracles? Nein, if you’re Klinsmann.
Note: Clever use of the German vernacular here, but as I'll demonstrate below, that too was thievery.

My Take

This is why soccer rightfully will never catch on in America. Because an American coach coaching an American team playing an American sport would never admit defeat before the game even begins.

Auf wiedersehen, Herr Klinsman. I’ll start caring about U.S. soccer when our so-called national team starts demonstrating our American ideals.
His Take

[SIZE=12pt]This is simply not the American way, conceding ultimate defeat before the competition has begun. It’s not how we play sports or follow them. America espouses — but doesn’t always live up to — the ideals of meritocracy, upward mobility, and self-determination.[/SIZE]
NOTE: OK, this is just straight plagiarism.
So awesome

I'm willing to let it slide this time. Must be pretty humbling for a big-time sportswriter to know that his professional columns can't compete with the kinds of Hot Sports Takes that are casually tossed off right and left around here.
I'm not so sure the Globe's editorial board should let it slide, though.

omg it look like i get plagarize too. me and jimmy is steaming over here

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8852974/lance-armstrong-history-lying

I write:

Finally he decide to call Orpah Wiffrey and say that he had been lyin all along.
they write:

Thursday and Friday night we'll see him look right into the face of Oprah Winfrey and tell her just the opposite.
and this:

It look like someone had put all kinds of doping in it. He say no way.
they write:

Did you do any of this stuff?"

"No! I didn't do s---!"
finaLLY:

He had overcome cancer of testicle
them:

he'd not only beaten his own cancer but was trying to help others
wow i just saw this one

now he name is tarnished
this give me chills

I get it. He's ruined.
and now this

p and s do they have dog bikes
coincidecne?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdto2MAsU0s

I don’t understand how any American sports fan can enjoy the World Cup. Unless you also enjoy the frustration of not getting laid. Because they’re literally the exact same thing.

There are restriction on using your hands. Some of the participants can still be satisfied even if nobody scores after 90 minutes of playing around. And if you get too aggressive, the person you’re playing with might pretend to cry and act like they’re hurt.

Not to mention, guys with foreign accents get a lot more of the action.

Yep, they’re called “soccer” moms for a reason, folks. And I don’t like the sport or the moms.

So this is what I saw on WEEI the other day, right after HST got started. Plagiarism is tough to prove. Independent creation abounds. But this was interesting. Just posting to see what people think about this whole Gasper deal. So here goes:

People may know that I watch Felger and Mazz, an afternoon show on CSNNE in Boston. It runs from 2-6, and is typical sports talk radio. In all seriousness, right after this thread started (a day or two after) the man we're jokingly accusing of plagiarism - Gasper - was on the show as a guest. He writes for the Globe, especially about the Patriots. Anyway, at the end of his interview segment, he and Marc Bertrand were joking about how their weekend morning show would be doing HOT SPORTS TAKES on WEEI. They were laughing hysterically as they said it, and were doing it ostensibly to plug their show. Anyway, I thought I might be making a loose connection, as HOT SPORTS TAKES has become a buzzword these days, and it may have been in reference to Grantland, but I find it interesting that the day or two after this thread starts, they're joking about HST and subsequently using some thoughts and jokes in a Globe column that come awfully close to what The_Man wrote.

Anyway, not sure if anyone really cares, or if it's coincidence, but it seems odd.

I also don't want to bring the thread down, but it would be interesting to see what people think.

eta* Also, I had no idea about any of this until today, when people started talking about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great thread and I'm enjoying all the Hot Sports Takes, but I'd urge caution and restraint regarding any allegations of plagiarism.

It's a very damning type of accusation: difficult to defend, difficult to prove or disprove, and potentially difficult for the accused to shake once tainted with it.

Oh, and soccer moms :wub:

This is a great thread and I'm enjoying all the Hot Sports Takes, but I'd urge caution and restraint regarding any allegations of plagiarism.

It's a very damning type of accusation: difficult to defend, difficult to prove or disprove, and potentially difficult for the accused to shake once tainted with it.

I would, too. Just weird.

Nobody is looking to prove it. I doubt anybody really cares. It is kind of odd though.

So this is what I saw on WEEI the other day, right after HST got started. Plagiarism is tough to prove. Independent creation abounds. But this was interesting. Just posting to see what people think about this whole Gasper deal. So here goes:

People may know that I watch Felger and Mazz, an afternoon show on CSNNE in Boston. It runs from 2-6, and is typical sports talk radio. In all seriousness, right after this thread started (a day or two after) the man we're jokingly accusing of plagiarism - Gasper - was on the show as a guest. He writes for the Globe, especially about the Patriots. Anyway, at the end of his interview segment, he and Marc Bertrand were joking about how their weekend morning show would be doing HOT SPORTS TAKES on WEEI. They were laughing hysterically as they said it, and were doing it ostensibly to plug their show. Anyway, I thought I might be making a loose connection, as HOT SPORTS TAKES has become a buzzword these days, and it may have been in reference to Grantland, but I find it interesting that the day or two after this thread starts, they're joking about HST and subsequently using some thoughts and jokes in a Globe column that come awfully close to what The_Man wrote.

Anyway, not sure if anyone really cares, or if it's coincidence, but it seems odd.

I also don't want to bring the thread down, but it would be interesting to see what people think.

eta* Also, I had no idea about any of this until today, when people started talking about it.
Marc The Beetle Bertrand definitely lurks here, possibly posts here.

In addition to all of the riots, drunken fans, and corrupt cops in Brazil, apparently soccer fans have another thing to deal with: Dengue fever. And yes, this barely-civilized nation is the world leader in dengue infections. You can't immunize for it and there's no cure for it, either. Did I mention it's potentially lethal? It's spread by mosquitoes, which could've easily been wiped out with DDT were it not for that enviro-nut Rachel Carson and her book Silent Spring. So, enjoy watching the Cup highlights through your mosquito net. Lest you think that dengue fever is some walk in the park; it is not. Here are some of the symptoms:

* Sudden high fever - up to 106 degrees

* Headache

* Eye pain

* Joint and muscle pain

* Rashes

* Nausea and loss of appetite

....if you're lucky.

If you happen to catch a more severe case, you could find yourself with other symptoms like bleeding from your mouth, nose or gums, vomiting blood, pooping black tar, severe stomach aches and shock. It makes Montezuma's Revenge look like a stuffy nose, eh?

Brazil is a petri dish of 2 million citizens and almost 600,000 world travelers looking to get their soccer on. The area is rife with stagnant water and a warm climate - not to mention that it's been raining a lot leading up to the World Cup. This is like giving Michelle Duggar fertility drugs, two extra uteruses and a weekend alone with her husband. There's going to be breeding, and lots of it.

Now, while the disease is only transmitted from mosquito to human, it's not hard to imagine this being a walk-through for the Olympics in 2016. They have to check the spread of any disease if they're going to accomplish their aim of world domination. It's a smart plan; don't try to rise up by your bootstraps; infect the world and when you're the only one left standing, there you are at the top of the heap.

Beware the Zombie Apocolypse Brazil Olympics!!!

Nobody is looking to prove it. I doubt anybody really cares. It is kind of odd though.
I wasn't suggesting anyone is trying to prove it, I just would hate to see anyone's professional reputation damaged.

I wasn't suggesting anyone is trying to prove it, I just would hate to see anyone's professional reputation damaged.
Chris Gasper alias?

Marc The Beetle Bertrand definitely lurks here, possibly posts here.
Details?

Well, we can close this thing down now...

Soccer, the Official Sport of Terrorism, FTW
Even Hot Take devotees might be challenged by this ghost pepper of a take. I feel like Icarus. I have truly flown too close to the sun.
I pulled that article up on my browser, and a draft of a Hot Take I had saved on my computer just deleted itself. It knew it could never be as good.When the author shoved "Plaxico Burress did more time than George Zimmerman" into there, I got a burning sensation in all five senses.

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

I doubt Lebron James was thinking of legendary rock group Pink Floyd and one of their most memorable tunes as the black and silver confetti rained down on him last night at the AT&T Center, but I was. We may have seen the end...the end of a remarkable run and a mini-dynasty.

Because I think Lebron is going back home. Back to Cleveland.

Bring the Boys Back Home

Home was never even really Miami anyways for Lebron. He was always a hired gun; always the transplant from up north brought down south to buy a title. He was never drafted by the Heat and was never the homegrown star like the Akron boy was for his Cavaliers.

But now Lebron has an opportunity to make it right. To erase the poor memories of The Decision and help rebuild the franchise he tore down. The Cavs have spent the past few years putting a new roster together; "The Last Few Bricks" you might even say in order to draw Lebron back. Now it's time for him to do his part and return home like the prodigal son he is l.

New Machine Part 2

Lebron fancies himself the 'king' but this team built around him in Miami is better built for a jester. Wade can no longer jump or shoot, Bosh is too skinny, Allen is ready to retire and the rest of the team is terrible. Norris Cole? More like Norris Can't.

Lebron's return to Cleveland will surround him with young talent like Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson and the #1 pick they will select in two weeks. Way better than the situation he is leaving in Miami.

Love Me Two Times

Some will question whether the fans of Cleveland even want Lebron back. I have even asked myself that very question numerous times, even last night as he meekly sat on the bench watching his team's season end.

But you can't win in the NBA without a few stars. And Lebron had shown he can't win it all without a stud in his prime assisting him like Kyrie will. That's why he is coming back. That's why he is coming home.

He is returning to Cleveland as his time in Miami has worn itself out.

He is returning to Cleveland because he can't win games with the shell of Dwayne Wade being carried around.

And he is returning to Cleveland because Lebron has learned that you can't call yourself the king if you are ending every season as the prince.

I'll tell you what would've been cool last night. Seeing LeBron James and Tim Duncan playing for all the NBA marbles with peach baskets. What a fitting tribute to Dr. James Naismith and the great game he invented it would've been and being on a world-wide stage would've made it even better.

You're saying that's crazy talk? Well, something similar happened on the sport of golf on one of its biggest stages yesterday.

It seems the course they played on went through a remodel recently. A remodel for the worse. Instead of a beautiful aesthetic course we had for the previous 2 Opens at Pinehurst #2 we got taken back in time to the 1940's.

We got about 35-40 acres of "native area" surrounding the fairways and greens. Native area being a code word for "weeds". It took us back in time to the way the course played when it was first designed.

What's even worse was it was hardly a penalty most of the time when guys would have errant drives. Countless times I watched them fire at pins from the native area just as easily as if they were playing from the middle of the fairway. It wasn't really US Open golf. It was more like another British Open being played on the opposite side of the pond.

After watching hours of this thing, with the outcome in no doubt and daylight waning (thanks to the wonderful play of Martin Kaymer) I decided to fire up my weed eater and go attack some of the native areas around my yard. Who knew, I have vegetation that would pass on a championship golf course now in my own back yard!

Some retro things in sports are great. Seeing old football uniforms for example (with the exception of Pittsburgh's convict uniforms). This US Open, unfortunately, was not one. Despite whatever nice comments people around golf have said---I say to Pinehurst #2: "Emperor, you have no clothes. "

Users who are viewing this thread