What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans In-Season thread (1 Viewer)

:suds:

I'd like to express congratulations to my fellow Texans fans, especially those that have been on this horrible ride since 2002. It's been a long 10 years!

It is nice, but you have to admit there is an ominous feeling that taints it.

It is a shame this had to happen under these circumstances :topcat: but at least I'm going into the playoffs not expecting anything. If Schaub was healthy then I'd get all worked up and pissed off when we lost. Now anything at all will be an unexpected surprise.

More injuries for this Texans team:

Source: John McClain of the Houston Chronicle

"One day after the Texans beat Cincinnati 20-19 to win the AFC South and earn their first playoff appearance, they lost right guard Mike Brisiel."

"Coach Gary Kubiak said today that Brisiel won’t be placed on injured reserve after undergoing surgery this morning to repair a fractured fibula. Kubiak said they’re hoping Brisiel, who played more than a half of the game with the injury, will be able to make a recovery like free safety Danieal Manning and be available for the playoffs."

"Once the Texans determined what the injury was, they had Brisiel undergo surgery as soon as possible. Manning missed three games after having the same operation."

"Antoine Caldwell, who has started in Brisiel’s place in the past, will start at right guard next to Eric Winston."

"Meanwhile, the Texans placed veteran receiver Derrick Mason on waivers. Kubiak said the move was made to help special teams. The Texans need players who can cover on kickoffs and punts. Cornerback Sherrick McManis, who was returning kickoffs, suffered an ankle injury and could miss some games."

More injuries for this Texans team:Source: John McClain of the Houston Chronicle"One day after the Texans beat Cincinnati 20-19 to win the AFC South and earn their first playoff appearance, they lost right guard Mike Brisiel.""Coach Gary Kubiak said today that Brisiel won’t be placed on injured reserve after undergoing surgery this morning to repair a fractured fibula. Kubiak said they’re hoping Brisiel, who played more than a half of the game with the injury, will be able to make a recovery like free safety Danieal Manning and be available for the playoffs.""Once the Texans determined what the injury was, they had Brisiel undergo surgery as soon as possible. Manning missed three games after having the same operation.""Antoine Caldwell, who has started in Brisiel’s place in the past, will start at right guard next to Eric Winston.""Meanwhile, the Texans placed veteran receiver Derrick Mason on waivers. Kubiak said the move was made to help special teams. The Texans need players who can cover on kickoffs and punts. Cornerback Sherrick McManis, who was returning kickoffs, suffered an ankle injury and could miss some games."
Huh. That leaves us with 3 active receivers unless Andre is ready to go. Unless they sign a kick-returning, special teams-playing WR to replace Mason.

It is nice, but you have to admit there is an ominous feeling that taints it.It is a shame this had to happen under these circumstances :topcat: but at least I'm going into the playoffs not expecting anything. If Schaub was healthy then I'd get all worked up and pissed off when we lost. Now anything at all will be an unexpected surprise.
That's fair but, no, my enjoyment of this week is not tainted. I didn't start the season expecting a super bowl. All I wanted was playoffs. Clinching the division with 3 weeks to spare in spite of losing so many key players for so much time is all gravy.

:suds: I'd like to express congratulations to my fellow Texans fans, especially those that have been on this horrible ride since 2002. It's been a long 10 years!
Not to mention the horror of being an Oilers fan many years prior. It's about damn time.

I really hope the fanbase is so fired up that the Carolina game is as loud as the Atlanta game was.

Quick heads up for anyone looking for playoff tickets. Season ticket holder payment for playoff tickets has to be in by the 15th. After that they will offer any remaining tickets to the general public via Ticketmaster. Details on the latter haven't been published yet, so if you're going that route keep an eye on the Texans website. They have a link for playoff tickets in the menus that is the place to check.

More injuries for this Texans team:Source: John McClain of the Houston Chronicle"One day after the Texans beat Cincinnati 20-19 to win the AFC South and earn their first playoff appearance, they lost right guard Mike Brisiel.""Coach Gary Kubiak said today that Brisiel won’t be placed on injured reserve after undergoing surgery this morning to repair a fractured fibula. Kubiak said they’re hoping Brisiel, who played more than a half of the game with the injury, will be able to make a recovery like free safety Danieal Manning and be available for the playoffs.""Once the Texans determined what the injury was, they had Brisiel undergo surgery as soon as possible. Manning missed three games after having the same operation.""Antoine Caldwell, who has started in Brisiel’s place in the past, will start at right guard next to Eric Winston.""Meanwhile, the Texans placed veteran receiver Derrick Mason on waivers. Kubiak said the move was made to help special teams. The Texans need players who can cover on kickoffs and punts. Cornerback Sherrick McManis, who was returning kickoffs, suffered an ankle injury and could miss some games."
Huh. That leaves us with 3 active receivers unless Andre is ready to go. Unless they sign a kick-returning, special teams-playing WR to replace Mason.
Heard on 610Am this morning that probably Jeff Maehl or less likely Trindon Holiday will be activated from the practice squad.Mason didn't catch enough balls to trigger the provisions in the trade with the Jets so Houston doesn't lose a pick for Mason. :thumbup:

Got an invite for this Sunday! Can't wait to see Cam in action and root on the Texans. Will have to try to pick up an AFC South champions shirt beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got an invite for this Sunday! Can't wait to see Cam in action and root on the Texans. Will have to try to pick up an AFC champions shirt beforehand.
I do hope you meant "AFC South Champions", so as not to invite much negative karma.

Got an invite for this Sunday! Can't wait to see Cam in action and root on the Texans. Will have to try to pick up an AFC South champions shirt beforehand.
I do hope you meant "AFC South Champions", so as not to invite much negative karma.
Stupid cellphone. I have edited away the jinx, your turn!

Off. Yeah, that has been my concern. The head coach thing, not the medical thing. Hopefully he gets through whatever it is fine.

And hopefully he's back here next year.

The loss definitely hurt our first round bye chances, but the losses by Baltimore and the Steelers still have us in the running.

Assuming we can win our last 2 games, we would direct tiebreaks against the Pats (via AFC record) and the Steelers (via head to head). We would also win any 3-way tie against Pats and one of Ravens/Steelers via AFC record.

The only tiebreak we don't win is straight up against the Ravens. Which is the problem right now. Pats are a game ahead of everyone, and our tiebreak is with just Baltimore.

So if the Pats lose at least 1 game, or the Ravens lose at least 1 game, if we win out we'll end up with a first round bye. And if the Pats lose just 1 game we'd likely end with the #1 seed. If the Ravens lose a game but the Pats win out, we'd get the #2 seed.

Pats have Miami and Buffalo. Ravens have Browns and Bengals. So hope for one of those games to be an upset, and for the Texans to take care of business.

So are the Texans locked into the #3 seed or can they get the #2?
They are locked into the #3 slot. Meaningless game this week in terms of playoff positioning.Since it is, in essence a practice game, I would like Kubiak to do one of two things:Play Yates, but open up the offense downfield. Don't just encourage him to throw downfield, bench him if he doesn't. Having Andre play will help in this regard.-Play Delholmme, but open up the offense downfield. Don't just encourage him to throw downfield, bench him if he doesn't.The Texans are not going to do anything in the playoffs unless they can challenge an opposing defense down the field. You havea rookie QB who hasn't really been willing to go downfield, and you have a back-up who is a question mark in terms of where hisgame is at, and his fit in this offense with these players. Use Sunday's game to try to help address those issues.

Foster and Joseph made the Pro Bowl.

OLB Connor Barwin, LT Duane Brown, ILB Brian Cushing, TE Owen Daniels, WR Andre Johnson, KR Jacoby Jones, C Chris Myers, DE Antonio Smith and DE J.J. Watt were named as alternates for the AFC squad.

Cushing and Myers should have been starters. Andre really shouldn't be on the list with how many games he's missed.

Article in the ESPN AFC South blog at http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/32491/reacting-to-texans-not-in-pro-bowl that I pretty much agree with.

The list of Texans Pro Bowl alternates is nine-deep. We don’t know where they rank in the line waiting for invites to Hawaii. But if they don’t go to the Super Bowl, odds are several of them wind up on the AFC’s roster because of drop-outs, injuries and the absence of players from the AFC’s Super Bowl representative.

The guys who could still get in: outside linebacker Connor Barwin, left tackle Duane Brown, outside linebacker Brian Cushing, tight end Owen Daniels, receiver Andre Johnson, returner Jacoby Jones, center Chris Myers, end Antonio Smith and end J.J. Watt.

(Side note: If you are lamenting how some of these guys aren't in, you should also be questioning how Johnson is anywhere close as he's spent most of the season rehabilitating hamstring injuries.)

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle writes this morning that the “snubs” can help fuel an anger the team needs to funnel into better play. A couple wins now and they’ll gain a lot of the respect they may be lacking at this point.

I think Cushing and Myers should be on the roster. Brown also has a strong case, but the first time a guy is deserving he often doesn’t make it.

Jerome Solomon wondered if suspensions Cushing and Brown have served for violations of the league’s policy against performance-enhancers hurt their candidacies. I feel certain those hurt, and that’s part of the long-term consequences for a positive test for a banned substance no matter your defense.

Writes Solomon:

Brown and Cushing both were suspended for four games of the 2010 season for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing drug policy. Brown says he failed a test after taking a supplement that he didn’t know contained a banned substance. Cushing maintained that his failed test could be explained by his natural body chemistry, as opposed to anything he took.

“I’m not sure if that played a part or not,” Brown told me Tuesday evening. “I think just it is more of getting your name out there, getting on the radar. The guys that made it have been doing it for a long time. I can admit that I’ve been up and down in my career and haven’t put together other solid years like this one.”

That mature response by Brown to disappointing news is a great sign for the Texans, perhaps a better overall development than being named to the AFC roster would have been.

So are the Texans locked into the #3 seed or can they get the #2?
They are locked into the #3 slot. Meaningless game this week in terms of playoff positioning.Since it is, in essence a practice game, I would like Kubiak to do one of two things:Play Yates, but open up the offense downfield. Don't just encourage him to throw downfield, bench him if he doesn't. Having Andre play will help in this regard.-Play Delholmme, but open up the offense downfield. Don't just encourage him to throw downfield, bench him if he doesn't.The Texans are not going to do anything in the playoffs unless they can challenge an opposing defense down the field. You havea rookie QB who hasn't really been willing to go downfield, and you have a back-up who is a question mark in terms of where hisgame is at, and his fit in this offense with these players. Use Sunday's game to try to help address those issues.
I would like to see us kick the snot out of the former Oilers and destroy any chance of a division rival making the playoffs. They better be treating this like a real game, they need to end the season on a high note (especially the offense.)

I think having a game with Yates and Andre and the whole offense there would be a good thing. While I totally understand the "don't get your starters injured" mantra, I think the Texans probably stand to do better getting a real game under their belt with the offense together. I just don't see them going anywhere in the playoffs if they can't keep the opposition's defense honest, and that means opening up the playbook and throwing to Andre deep sometimes.

I'd rather see them play this like a normal game, and if that means a starter gets injured, I'll live with it.

I think the Texans would be crazy to risk their starters. Get AJ out there for a few snaps to shake off the rust and connect with Yates a little, but I would give Foster 2 or 3 carries at most and have all the starters on the bench well before halftime. The Texans still have a legit shot to make a playoff run and this is their Bye week to get ready for that. Also, there's a significant chance that if the Titans win, the Texans would face them again next week - if the Titans and Jets win, the Titans are in if the Bengals and either Oakland or Denver lose. I think the Texans would rather face the Titans than the Bengals, plus they don't want to show them much if they're playing again next week.

Just my two cents from the outside looking in.... Tough break for the Texans this year. With Schaub playing, I think they would be the Super Bowl favorite from the AFC.

I think the Texans would be crazy to risk their starters. Get AJ out there for a few snaps to shake off the rust and connect with Yates a little, but I would give Foster 2 or 3 carries at most and have all the starters on the bench well before halftime. The Texans still have a legit shot to make a playoff run and this is their Bye week to get ready for that. Also, there's a significant chance that if the Titans win, the Texans would face them again next week - if the Titans and Jets win, the Titans are in if the Bengals and either Oakland or Denver lose. I think the Texans would rather face the Titans than the Bengals, plus they don't want to show them much if they're playing again next week.

Just my two cents from the outside looking in.... Tough break for the Texans this year. With Schaub playing, I think they would be the Super Bowl favorite from the AFC.
:no: with Kubiak coaching

A few stats from ESPN's AFC South blog:

Pressure tells the story: The Houston Texans sack or put quarterbacks under duress 28.0 percent of the time, the highest rate in the NFL. No one has a front that swarms as consistently as Houston's. The Tennessee Titans are recording a sack or putting quarterbacks under duress on 18.4 percent of opponent dropbacks this season, the second-lowest rate in the NFL. If Matt Hasselbeck is under constant pressure and T.J. Yates isn’t, this game will lean toward the Texans despite the fact that Tennessee has much more at stake.Hands in the air: Houston is very good at batting balls down near the line of scrimmage. ESPN Stats & Info says the Texans have batted down a league-high 19 passes at the line of scrimmage this season. No other team has more than 14 (Miami Dolphins). Hasselbeck is susceptible to linemen getting their paws on his throws. He has had 13 passes batted down this season, tied with the New York Jets' Mark Sanchez for the most in the NFL. Hasselbeck had his worst game of the season in the Oct. 23 loss to the Texans. To win this one, the Titans are going to need a good passing day. Hasselbeck needs 226 passing yards to become just the second Oilers/Titans quarterback to throw for 3,500 yards in a season, joining Hall of Famer Warren Moon. Moon did it in 1989, 1990 and 1991. Despite being inactive for two games and sidelined for much of another, Arian Foster has rushed for at least 100 yards in a league-high seven games. Since the start of the 2010 season, Foster leads the league in rush yards (2,840), rush touchdowns (26) and first downs (147)

is Foster gonna play this week?if no, is Tate or Ward the play?(week 17 Foster owner)
There has been no indication that Kubiak is going to "rest" his starters this game largely because of the poor play overall from the team over the last couple of weeks. That's a long winded way to say, i really don't know.

is Foster gonna play this week?if no, is Tate or Ward the play?(week 17 Foster owner)
There has been no indication that Kubiak is going to "rest" his starters this game largely because of the poor play overall from the team over the last couple of weeks. That's a long winded way to say, i really don't know.
Isn't the Texans locked into the #3 spot regardless of game outcome? I wouldn't be surprised to see them lighten the load of Foster.

Texans need to play their starters for at least 2-3 quarters at minimum.

With Yates at QB, andre rusty as all hell etc etc... this team needs as much gametime gelling as possible.

as a texans fan, youre playoff hopes took a major hit with the loss of schaub... They went from potential favourites, to mid-lower tier.

Id play them out to try and iron out any kinks... and as mentioned above, if any injuries come of it, so be it.

without really trying to make things click, especially in the passing game, Houston likely wont get too far

Isn't the Texans locked into the #3 spot regardless of game outcome? I wouldn't be surprised to see them lighten the load of Foster.
Yes, locked in at #3 regardless.Kubiak's public statements have been that they are treating it the same as any other game. That Andre is playing but will be on a play count, things like that. But it won't surprise any of us if they play a couple of quarters and then sit them. We're all guessing though.For what it's worth, I'm starting JJ Watt, and Foster over Tate in a championship game and am benching Owen Daniels as he was used as the #2 TE last week and was again limited in practice this week.

It's kind of nice on the day after the regular season ends to have something to look forward to other than the NFL draft and who the Texans might take.

Great news, Brisiel is going to be back in the starting lineup. He recovered from his broken leg a week quicker than Manning did even.http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-1/Rapid-recovering-Brisiel-expected-to-start/73ef523c-a46f-4bc5-974b-339054aadb10

Rapid-recovering Brisiel expected to startBy Nick ScurfieldPosted 48 minutes agoStarting right guard Mike Brisiel continued his rapid recovery from a fractured fibula on Wednesday, practicing for the second consecutive day.It sounds all but certain that Brisiel will return to the Texans’ lineup to face the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday, less than a month after having surgery on Dec. 12.“He’s good,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “He’s better today. I talked to y’all yesterday about how we like to play at the end of games, whether it’s (a) 70/30, 60/40 (split with Antoine Caldwell) or whatever.“We’d like to play them both, but all indications are through the first two days of practice that Mike will be ready to start and carry his load. Barring any setbacks tomorrow, that’s the way we will go.”Brisiel was injured in Week 14 in the first half of the Texans’ 20-19 victory at Cincinnati. He played the entire second half with a broken leg. He had surgery the next day and missed the final three games of the regular season.“It’s crazy to me to see him out there full practice today doing one-on-ones and everything, and he’s only, what, three weeks out of surgery,” center Chris Myers said on Tuesday. “It’s crazy. It’s amazing to see guys come back with that determination.”Texans free safety Danieal Manning recovered from the same injury and surgery earlier this season. He fractured his fibula in Week 7 at Tennessee, missed the next three games and returned in Week 12 after the Texans’ bye week.Brisiel, a fourth-year veteran, started 13 games this season as the Texans finished second in the NFL in rushing. He started all 16 games in 2010 along with Myers, left tackle Duane Brown, left guard Wade Smith and right tackle Eric Winston.

Looking forward to playing you guys this week. Its a really interesting matchup because both teams spent most of the season controlling the line of scrimmage so it will be strength against strength. Pat Sims is out now for Cincy which really hurts the run D, but that means more snaps for Atkins and Dunlap is back which means the pass rush gets even better. All I keep hearing from the media is about the Bengals being 9-0 against non-playoff teams and 0-7 against playoff teams. I wouldn't read too much into that. If you look at the games, we needed some last second heroics to beat a lot of bad teams like the Browns and Cardinals and were seconds away from winning almost every game we lost. I wouldn't say we really played any better against the weaker teams.

I think one key will be if the Bengals D can stay disciplined enough to not give up the huge run. We are a very aggressive run blitz team that stops a ton of runs at the line of scrimmage. If you take a look at Rice last week or almost any good back we play, they can sometimes make up for that all in one run by a cutback lane being wide open or bursting through a stacked box for 70 yards. This is something Foster is more than capable of.

Of course the big matchup will be Green/Joseph. You don't have to tell anyone in Cincy how good of a cover guy Joseph can be. The Bengals have good tackles and Cook is really improving at center, so hopefully they have time to take a lot of shots down the field and pull double moves. You just cannot run a basic route against Joseph and expect to beat him. Green is really, really good though so even a jump ball is probably OK for us.

Obviously, both teams are going to pound the ball as long as it stays close. You will probably see more of Scott this week than you did in week 14. He is solid as a pure runner, but I worry about him in pass protection against Wade Phillips.

Andre Johnson being back could be huge. With Leon Hall on IR, the Bengals are relying on Pacman and Clements. My guess is they put Clements on him when possible because he is such a good tackler. He does give up a ton of easy catches on slants and underneath stuff, but he can prevent Andre's run after catch. Pacman is a pretty good cover corner that is just decent at pretty much everything. Our nickel guys (Jennings usually) have been a disaster. Between that and our linebackers, we normally can't cover tight ends or slot guys very well. Just take a look at the Texans GW TD in Cincy for evidence.

Anyway, we already know this one is coming down to a big play in the final minutes. Good luck guys.

Looking forward to playing you guys this week. Its a really interesting matchup because both teams spent most of the season controlling the line of scrimmage so it will be strength against strength. Pat Sims is out now for Cincy which really hurts the run D, but that means more snaps for Atkins and Dunlap is back which means the pass rush gets even better. All I keep hearing from the media is about the Bengals being 9-0 against non-playoff teams and 0-7 against playoff teams. I wouldn't read too much into that. If you look at the games, we needed some last second heroics to beat a lot of bad teams like the Browns and Cardinals and were seconds away from winning almost every game we lost. I wouldn't say we really played any better against the weaker teams.I think one key will be if the Bengals D can stay disciplined enough to not give up the huge run. We are a very aggressive run blitz team that stops a ton of runs at the line of scrimmage. If you take a look at Rice last week or almost any good back we play, they can sometimes make up for that all in one run by a cutback lane being wide open or bursting through a stacked box for 70 yards. This is something Foster is more than capable of. Of course the big matchup will be Green/Joseph. You don't have to tell anyone in Cincy how good of a cover guy Joseph can be. The Bengals have good tackles and Cook is really improving at center, so hopefully they have time to take a lot of shots down the field and pull double moves. You just cannot run a basic route against Joseph and expect to beat him. Green is really, really good though so even a jump ball is probably OK for us.Obviously, both teams are going to pound the ball as long as it stays close. You will probably see more of Scott this week than you did in week 14. He is solid as a pure runner, but I worry about him in pass protection against Wade Phillips.Andre Johnson being back could be huge. With Leon Hall on IR, the Bengals are relying on Pacman and Clements. My guess is they put Clements on him when possible because he is such a good tackler. He does give up a ton of easy catches on slants and underneath stuff, but he can prevent Andre's run after catch. Pacman is a pretty good cover corner that is just decent at pretty much everything. Our nickel guys (Jennings usually) have been a disaster. Between that and our linebackers, we normally can't cover tight ends or slot guys very well. Just take a look at the Texans GW TD in Cincy for evidence.Anyway, we already know this one is coming down to a big play in the final minutes. Good luck guys.
I appreicate the break down...Excellent

Looking forward to playing you guys this week. Its a really interesting matchup because both teams spent most of the season controlling the line of scrimmage so it will be strength against strength. Pat Sims is out now for Cincy which really hurts the run D, but that means more snaps for Atkins and Dunlap is back which means the pass rush gets even better. All I keep hearing from the media is about the Bengals being 9-0 against non-playoff teams and 0-7 against playoff teams. I wouldn't read too much into that. If you look at the games, we needed some last second heroics to beat a lot of bad teams like the Browns and Cardinals and were seconds away from winning almost every game we lost. I wouldn't say we really played any better against the weaker teams.I think one key will be if the Bengals D can stay disciplined enough to not give up the huge run. We are a very aggressive run blitz team that stops a ton of runs at the line of scrimmage. If you take a look at Rice last week or almost any good back we play, they can sometimes make up for that all in one run by a cutback lane being wide open or bursting through a stacked box for 70 yards. This is something Foster is more than capable of. Of course the big matchup will be Green/Joseph. You don't have to tell anyone in Cincy how good of a cover guy Joseph can be. The Bengals have good tackles and Cook is really improving at center, so hopefully they have time to take a lot of shots down the field and pull double moves. You just cannot run a basic route against Joseph and expect to beat him. Green is really, really good though so even a jump ball is probably OK for us.Obviously, both teams are going to pound the ball as long as it stays close. You will probably see more of Scott this week than you did in week 14. He is solid as a pure runner, but I worry about him in pass protection against Wade Phillips.Andre Johnson being back could be huge. With Leon Hall on IR, the Bengals are relying on Pacman and Clements. My guess is they put Clements on him when possible because he is such a good tackler. He does give up a ton of easy catches on slants and underneath stuff, but he can prevent Andre's run after catch. Pacman is a pretty good cover corner that is just decent at pretty much everything. Our nickel guys (Jennings usually) have been a disaster. Between that and our linebackers, we normally can't cover tight ends or slot guys very well. Just take a look at the Texans GW TD in Cincy for evidence.Anyway, we already know this one is coming down to a big play in the final minutes. Good luck guys.
Good analysis.I do think the beating non-playoff teams and losing to playoff teams probably tells us something about where the Bengals are from a talent level perspective. They probably have more talent than the non-playoff teams and the least talent amoung the playoff teams. Seeing as they are the last seed in the AFC this seems to make sense.I think the Texans are probably equal or better than the Bengals at all positions with one exception at a very important position: QB. However, I don't think the gap between Dalton and Yates is that big, and I think Dalton's advantage is mitigated some by him having to play on the road. He also may feel some added pressure playing in front of family and friends (he played high school ball just outside of Houston).I think the fact that Yates has seen the Bengals before and had success against them in a pressure situation, the fact that the Texans are at home, and the fact that the Texans have Andre Johnson back, all point to the Texans winning, probably by a score of about 20-10.

Great win by the Texans on Saturday. I definitely think Baltimore will be a much harder task, especially with Yates going against a veteran,

aggressive defense in a hostile environment. I think the key will be whether the Texans defense can stop the long ball to Torrey Smith and shut down Ray Rice, and force some TO's. If they can give Yates some short fields to work with and the Texans get a lead, then they have a decent shot. If they get behind, it is going to be really hard for Yates to lead a comeback.

One thing I find fascinating about the Texans this year: The injuries they have incurred make their chance at a super bowl a long shot. With that being said, I don't know if I have seen a team have it's off-season question marks turn into positive answers the way the Texans have.

Off-Season Question Marks:

-Will the teams first two picks help the defense? Watts and Reed have been everything the Texans could have hoped for.

-How will Ryans and Cushing respond to injury and a down year? Ryans has been solid and Cushing has been great.

-Will Manning and Joseph solidify the secondary? Better coverage has helped the pass rush and a better pass rush has helped improve coverage

and interception capability.

-How quickly will the players adjust to Phillips defense? Very quickly and very well. They are playing great team defense.

-Will Arian Foster have a sophomore starter slump? Nope. Great year for Arian.

-Will the loss of Vonte Leach hurt the running game? If does not seem to have made much of a difference.

-How will Ben Tate come back from his injury? He had an amazing year as 2nd RB. With Ward, the Texans probably have the strongest trio of

RB's in the league.

I really can't come up with a question mark coming into the season that has been answered negatively for the Texans.

I think the Texans would be crazy to risk their starters. Get AJ out there for a few snaps to shake off the rust and connect with Yates a little, but I would give Foster 2 or 3 carries at most and have all the starters on the bench well before halftime. The Texans still have a legit shot to make a playoff run and this is their Bye week to get ready for that. Also, there's a significant chance that if the Titans win, the Texans would face them again next week - if the Titans and Jets win, the Titans are in if the Bengals and either Oakland or Denver lose. I think the Texans would rather face the Titans than the Bengals, plus they don't want to show them much if they're playing again next week.Just my two cents from the outside looking in.... Tough break for the Texans this year. With Schaub playing, I think they would be the Super Bowl favorite from the AFC.
Howdy, Texans!I've been impressed with your team all season. Nothing I've seen has changed my opinion above that they could well be Super Bowl-bound with Schaub.That being said, I think winning here in Baltimore will be a tall order this week. The Ravens are 8-0 at home, I think 18-1 in their last 19 home games, and are the kind of veteran team that really benefits from a Bye week - it rests their old bones, but they don't lose focus or come out rusty.The Texans won the turnover battle 2-0 earlier this year in Baltimore (a Flacco fumble at the 20 set up one Houston TD) and still lost by 15 points. The Ravens generally handle the stretch running game well - they're an extremely disciplined team, so there shouldn't be the opportunities for huge cutback gains that Cincy's overpursuit allowed. If they can do that again this week and force the Houston offense to become one-dimensional with Yates having to throw vs. the Baltimore pass rush, it will be a big edge to the Ravens.You seem to have a classy franchise and I look forward to a good week of football talk.

I'm going to enjoy this for a little bit :pickle:

I actually think the Texans have a chance against Baltimore but the Defense really needs to perform. Should be a better game than the first one in Baltimore :popcorn:

Heavily debated going to Maryland but ultimately couldn't justify the expense, looking at like a $1,000 weekend all told probably.

Wade Phillips interviewing with the Buc's this Friday.

Have also seen him mentioned as a candidate for the Dolphins head coaching spot. Who knows if any of teams are really interested or not. I still think it will take probably 1 more year of being a DC before someone tabs him for a head coach spot again.
I heard he's interviewing for the Tampa job as well. Keep wade in Houston!But right now... Let's enjoy the second round fellas!!!

Interesting comment by Quin. With needing to re-sign Mario, Foster, Myers, Dreessen, etc, I hope he isn't the only one feeling that way about taking less money if need be.

“I’ve talked to several guys who have come from other organizations that say that Coach Kubiak is probably the coolest coach in the league,” safety Glover Quin said. “And they say, 'Do whatever you have to do to stay here, whatever you got to do, take pay cuts, whatever, stay here.' He’s a good guy. Like I said, he’ll walk past you and speak. Some coaches probably don’t even walk past the guys and speak to them. Every time he sees you he’ll speak, and he’s always an even-keeled guy, and he expects a lot out of us. And the way he treats us, we have to go out and play hard for him.”

Interesting comment by Quin. With needing to re-sign Mario, Foster, Myers, Dreessen, etc, I hope he isn't the only one feeling that way about taking less money if need be.

“I’ve talked to several guys who have come from other organizations that say that Coach Kubiak is probably the coolest coach in the league,” safety Glover Quin said. “And they say, 'Do whatever you have to do to stay here, whatever you got to do, take pay cuts, whatever, stay here.' He’s a good guy. Like I said, he’ll walk past you and speak. Some coaches probably don’t even walk past the guys and speak to them. Every time he sees you he’ll speak, and he’s always an even-keeled guy, and he expects a lot out of us. And the way he treats us, we have to go out and play hard for him.”
You think they're going to resign Mario? seems like a lot of :moneybag: given the performance of the defense w/o him.

You think they're going to resign Mario? seems like a lot of :moneybag: given the performance of the defense w/o him.
I think they'll pursue it, but if he is looking for the biggest paycheck he can get, he may not be willing to sign for something they can live with. I love the rotation of Mario, Barwin and Reed. I can't say I like the rotation of Barwin, Reed and Jesse Nading nearly as much just because of the injury risk. If Mario goes then we're needing to find some depth at OLB. I'm also casting an eye on next year or the year after when Wade Phillips may leave to be a head coach somewhere, and having Mario gives you a lot more flexibility for the system of whomever you bring in. Even if Wade stays, one could make an argument that to get your best players on the field you might want to move Mario back to DE and move Antonio Smith inside to DT. If Smith can stand up in the 1-gap role that Wade's nose tackles have, that would be a ferocious pass rush and you wouldn't need to switch out players on running vs passing downs.

I think they'll pursue it, but if he is looking for the biggest paycheck he can get, he may not be willing to sign for something they can live with. I love the rotation of Mario, Barwin and Reed. I can't say I like the rotation of Barwin, Reed and Jesse Nading nearly as much just because of the injury risk. If Mario goes then we're needing to find some depth at OLB. I'm also casting an eye on next year or the year after when Wade Smith may leave to be a head coach somewhere, and having Mario gives you a lot more flexibility for the system of whomever you bring in. Even if Wade stays, one could make an argument that to get your best players on the field you might want to move Mario back to DE and move Antonio Smith inside to DT. If Smith can stand up in the 1-gap role that Wade's nose tackles have, that would be a ferocious pass rush and you wouldn't need to switch out players on running vs passing downs.
Our O-lineman is going to leave to be a Head coach? I am sure you meant Wade Phillips.

I think they'll pursue it, but if he is looking for the biggest paycheck he can get, he may not be willing to sign for something they can live with. I love the rotation of Mario, Barwin and Reed. I can't say I like the rotation of Barwin, Reed and Jesse Nading nearly as much just because of the injury risk. If Mario goes then we're needing to find some depth at OLB. I'm also casting an eye on next year or the year after when Wade Smith may leave to be a head coach somewhere, and having Mario gives you a lot more flexibility for the system of whomever you bring in. Even if Wade stays, one could make an argument that to get your best players on the field you might want to move Mario back to DE and move Antonio Smith inside to DT. If Smith can stand up in the 1-gap role that Wade's nose tackles have, that would be a ferocious pass rush and you wouldn't need to switch out players on running vs passing downs.
Our O-lineman is going to leave to be a Head coach? I am sure you meant Wade Phillips.
Yeah, cold medicine is a wonderful thing...

Users who are viewing this thread