What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How are the rookies on your NFL team doing? (1 Viewer)

RustyFA2

Footballguy
I am wondering how the rookies are faring on each team. As a Vikings fan I'll run down how things are shaping up there. Please add your team. 2 34 Chris Cook DB Virginia-looked great in pre-season and training camp but has been injured a lot of the year. He has started games and looks the part. Other than pass coverage that is. He definitely needs improvement and just needs to stay healthy. 2 19 51 Toby Gerhart RB Stanford-I was not happy the Vikes traded their 2nd and 3rd to grab him but am happy he is on the team. So far he has shown veryy very little. they have brought him in on short situations and he has not gotten very many converted. Granted the OL has done him no favors. I don't think you write him off yet. He probably needs the ball a lot to be effective. 4 2 100 Everson Griffin DE USC-On the team but not playing really. Great potential. 5 30 161 Chris DeGeare G Wake Forest-I think he is on the team but has not played. A year or two down the road he may be in the mix. 5 36 167 Nathan Triplett LB Minnesota-Cut 6 30 199 Joe Webb QB Alabama-Birmingham-Shows great potential. A lot of people want the team to give him the job. I think he may have a future in the NFL as a returner/Wildcat guy 7 7 214 Mickey Shuler TE Penn State-Practice Squad-I think 7 30 237 Ryan D'Imperio LB Rutgers-CutHow about your teams. If this draft class had to be graded (I know, way too early) I would give the Vikes a solid D+.

Rams

We have the rookie of the year (with the possible second place finish to Suh)...so I'd say we are doing good for our catastrophic selection of Bradford.

Saffold will be a decent LT. A few of our young wr/tes have loads of talent but banged up (Gilyard/Hoomanawanui). Might be one of our best drafts ever.

RamsWe have the rookie of the year (with the possible second place finish to Suh)...so I'd say we are doing good for our catastrophic selection of Bradford.Saffold will be a decent LT. A few of our young wr/tes have loads of talent but banged up (Gilyard/Hoomanawanui). Might be one of our best drafts ever.
picking up D Alexander has to help, too

Great idea for a thread:

Raiders:

1. Rolando McClain--Disappointing. The verdict is certainly not in, but MLB is an instinct position, they have them or they don't, and I'd like to see more right off the bat. He's smart, has his head on straight (which seems to be a recent trend with Raider picks thankfully), and is a hard worker, but great MLBs seem to lift the entire defense, and we haven't seen that yet from him.

2. Lamar Houston--Pretty exciting. Playing DE with DT size, and the word seems to be feisty, and a non-stop motor. Playing a position that is tough to play as a rookie, base DE, he's been very good. Not intimidated by the NFL at all, seems like they got a hit with him.

3. Jared Veldheer--Beat out Mario Henderson at LT, after being yo-yo'd between OT and C. Had some bad moments against some good DE's, but less than I expected from a rookie from freakin' Hillsdale College. Seems like his learning curve iss shorter than expected. Pretty excited about the pick.

4. Jacoby Ford--When he was drafted, it was, "Haw haw, looks like Al Davis woke up for Day 2 of the draft!!" He's only had two good games, but man, what a pair of games. He's a little dude, I think WR1 is a tough projection, but I'd say Santana Moss is his ceiling. I can live with that. Looks a lot more polished as a WR than the scouting reports led us to believe.

5. Walter McFadden--Finally got some PT, and got beat like a foster child last week. Hey it happens to rookie CBs, and there was some quiet good words about him during TC, so we shall see. Grade: Incomplete. Might develop, might be nothing.

6. Travis Goethel--Mystery man. Injured all year, but was supposedly pushing for PT in camp. Looking forward to seeing him next summer. Redshirt year.

7 and 8--Jeremy Ware and Stevie Brown--Both have made the team, and made some plays in the field, but neither look to be long term starters. If they can hang for a few years, and help on special teams, they did what they were expected to do.

1. Kareem Jackson, CB (Alabama) - He's shown flashes but has been a starter on one of the worst pass defenses in the history of the NFL. I think he will eventually be a good player and the coaches certainly haven't done him any favors, but there's no doubt he's struggled.

2. Ben Tate, RB (Auburn) - Placed on IR in the preseason with a broken ankle.

3. Earl Mitchell, DT (Arizona) - Has been a rotation player on the DL. Got a lot of positive pub in the preseason but has been pretty nondescript throughout the regular season.

4. Darryl Sharpton, LB (Miami) - Sharpton has battled with some injuries but has recently won the starting job at WLB. He hasn't been great, but it's an accomplishment for a 4th round rookie to come in and win a job, and he's done that.

4. Garrett Graham, TE (Wisconsin) - He's played some special teams but has been buried in a very deep set of TE

5. Sherrick McManis, CB (Northwestern) - He has been a constant on special teams and has made a couple of plays for the defense. I'd say he is one of the surprises of the draft for the team.

6. Shelley Smith, OG (Colorado State) - Spent some time on the practice squad and inactive on the 53-man roster.

7. Trindon Holliday, KR/PR (LSU) - Placed on the IR in the preseason with a hand injury. He struggled in the preseason and was questionable to make the final 53-man roster

7. Dorin Dickerson, WR (Pittsburgh) - Dickerson has been on the 53-man roster but has largely been inactive

Dolphins:

1-28 Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State - Incomplete - Played one game, got hurt, put on IR. We'll see what he can do next year.

2-8 Koa Misi, LB, Utah - Looked good early, created a decent pass rush on the other side of Wake, had 3.5 sacks in 6 games. He disappeared for a little while, but his last couple of games he has played well although it doesn't always show on the statline. So far, he looks like he will be a solid, all around player.

3-9 John Jerry, OG, Mississippi - Missed a couple of games early on due to an illness that caused him to lose a lot of weight. He's been working his way back to full strength since. The report on him so far is that he looks good while run blocking, but pass pro has been a struggle at times. A work in progress.

4-21 A.J. Edds, LB, Iowa - Incomplete - Hurt in preseason, IR.

5-14 Nolan Carroll, CB, Maryland - Carroll is the #4 CB, seeing limited time on defense so far this year. He's been primarily used as a KR, where he's been adequate but nothing special yet. Not really sure what this kid has aside from speed.

5-32 Reshard Jones, S, Georgia - Backup FS. The book on him coming out is that he was a big play, big hitter type who would sometimes make mistakes by trying too hard for the big tackle. So far, in his limited action, he's been as advertised, laying out big hits in the run game but having difficulties with coverage responsibilities. He looks like he could be pretty good with some time and discipline.

7-5 Chris McCoy, LB, Mid Tenn St. - Didn't make the team out of camp, and has eventually found his way to Houston's practice squad.

7-45 Austin Spitler, LB, Ohio St. - Backup/special teamer, hasn't done anything significant. Austin's a quick, undersized linebacker with limited potential, but you never know I guess.

Overall, this is nothing to be excited about. Odrick's loss was very disappointing, and Edds was expected to be a solid nickel LB this year, which Miami could definitely have used. There doesn't look to be any stars in this group, but maybe a few solid players when all is said and done.

Here's the Bengals draft...

1.21 Jermaine Gresham (TE). 44 catches for 366 yards and 3 TDs. That leads all rookie TEs in receptions. He's tied for 3rd overall in receptions (Best and Tampa Mike are ahead - he's tied with Dez Bryant). He's been solid and I think he's going to be a 10-year stud for us at TE. Have to give the team an A for this one.

2.54 Carlos Dunlap (DE). Didn't play at all in the first 5 games. Has come on of late with 2 sacks in his last game and 3 in his 3 games. Finally seems to be winning the confidence of the coaching staff. Could prove to be another great pick. I'll give it a B right now.

3.80 Jordan Shipley (WR). 40 catches for 518 yards and 2 TDs. Has been solid as a #3 WR this year (I honestly think we win the Tampa game if he had played instead of Andre Caldwell but he was out due to the dubious hit by that guy from the Browns. Looks like he could be a real solid top-2 receiver for us sooner than later and a steal in the third round. I have to give this pick an A.

3.96 Brandon Ghee (CB). Basically he's been a special teams contributor this year. Given what we have at the position, it's tough to figure he'd set the world on fire. Real grade is probably incomplete, but I'll give it a C since he's worked his way on to the field. Will be interesting to see how he develops but he's injured and doubtful for this week.

4.120 Geno Atkins (DT). Doesn't have big numbers but he's been in the tackle rotation and to be honest I think our meager pass rush has tended to look better when he's been in there. According to the Bengals website he leads the team in QB pressures with 9. I like what I've seen so far and think he'll be a keeper. Given the round he was drafted in I have to go A- here.

4.131 Roddrick Muckleroy (LB). He's basically played on special teams and that's about it. Gotta go C at this point but at least the coaches are confident enough in him to have him dressing.

5.152 Otis Hudson (OG). Great Footballguys name there. He's on the practice squad and is one of those project guys we always seem to take on the o-line. Based on that track record I have to give it a D- here.

6.191 Dez Briscoe (WR). Cut in camp and the Bucs outbid the Bengals to put him on the practice squad (they gave more $ in a move that doesn't happen all that often in the NFL). The Bucs signed him to the active roster in November but he has yet to play. He's a guy that is seen as a sleeper type who could develop into a good pro down the line. Gotta give an F since he's already gone.

7.228 Reggie Stephens ©. He's on the 53-man roster but has been inactive for every game. Another project-type guy I guess but he was good enough I guess to be on the active team rather than the practice squad. Incomplete would seem right but that's wussin' out. I gotta give a C- since he's a 7th rounder. :thumbdown:

So even with the season being as wretched as it has been, I really can't call this a bad draft class. 4 guys are regular contributors and 2 guys at least are playing on special teams. I think Gresham, Shipley, Dunlap, and Atkins are going to be mainstays.

-QG

Here's the Bengals draft...1.21 Jermaine Gresham (TE). 44 catches for 366 yards and 3 TDs. That leads all rookie TEs in receptions. He's tied for 3rd overall in receptions (Best and Tampa Mike are ahead - he's tied with Dez Bryant). He's been solid and I think he's going to be a 10-year stud for us at TE. Have to give the team an A for this one.2.54 Carlos Dunlap (DE). Didn't play at all in the first 5 games. Has come on of late with 2 sacks in his last game and 3 in his 3 games. Finally seems to be winning the confidence of the coaching staff. Could prove to be another great pick. I'll give it a B right now.3.80 Jordan Shipley (WR). 40 catches for 518 yards and 2 TDs. Has been solid as a #3 WR this year (I honestly think we win the Tampa game if he had played instead of Andre Caldwell but he was out due to the dubious hit by that guy from the Browns. Looks like he could be a real solid top-2 receiver for us sooner than later and a steal in the third round. I have to give this pick an A.3.96 Brandon Ghee (CB). Basically he's been a special teams contributor this year. Given what we have at the position, it's tough to figure he'd set the world on fire. Real grade is probably incomplete, but I'll give it a C since he's worked his way on to the field. Will be interesting to see how he develops but he's injured and doubtful for this week.4.120 Geno Atkins (DT). Doesn't have big numbers but he's been in the tackle rotation and to be honest I think our meager pass rush has tended to look better when he's been in there. According to the Bengals website he leads the team in QB pressures with 9. I like what I've seen so far and think he'll be a keeper. Given the round he was drafted in I have to go A- here.4.131 Roddrick Muckleroy (LB). He's basically played on special teams and that's about it. Gotta go C at this point but at least the coaches are confident enough in him to have him dressing.5.152 Otis Hudson (OG). Great Footballguys name there. He's on the practice squad and is one of those project guys we always seem to take on the o-line. Based on that track record I have to give it a D- here.6.191 Dez Briscoe (WR). Cut in camp and the Bucs outbid the Bengals to put him on the practice squad (they gave more $ in a move that doesn't happen all that often in the NFL). The Bucs signed him to the active roster in November but he has yet to play. He's a guy that is seen as a sleeper type who could develop into a good pro down the line. Gotta give an F since he's already gone.7.228 Reggie Stephens ©. He's on the 53-man roster but has been inactive for every game. Another project-type guy I guess but he was good enough I guess to be on the active team rather than the practice squad. Incomplete would seem right but that's wussin' out. I gotta give a C- since he's a 7th rounder. :thumbdown:So even with the season being as wretched as it has been, I really can't call this a bad draft class. 4 guys are regular contributors and 2 guys at least are playing on special teams. I think Gresham, Shipley, Dunlap, and Atkins are going to be mainstays.-QG
QG,Nice synopsis. I am not a Bengals fan, and from afar, while you guys have had dubious character picks over the last 7 years (Rucker, Henry), you guys rarely crap the bed, but tend not to be able to put it together on the field. Is it GM or coaching issue? Do you happen to know who makes the draft room calls? I am curious since Mike Brown is given a tough rap b/c he is cheap, but if he is making these calls, I wonder whether it falls on coaching?

Eagles:

1.13 DE Brandon Graham: Getting some playing time with DE Parker hurting, spent time playing DT & DE situationaly early in the season. Can't grade, hasn't played enough but based on the little playing time, not having the impact expected, especially since the Eagles traded up for him.

2.37 FS Nate Allen: Starting FS. Began the year pretty well, defensive rookie of the month in september , had a few down games but is expected from a rookie. Good pick, looks to be the FS for a while, could bulk up a bit.

3.86 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim: Inactive most the year sans 4 games. Another situational DE. Didnt understand this pick considering they traded up to get Graham & traded for DE Darrly Tapp in the offseason already.

4.105 CB Trevard Lindley: CB was a big hole going into the draft, this pick won't fill it. May be a good nickel some da. Inactive 5 games this year, activated to help with depth ( Hobbs & Samuel injuries ). Think he is doing ST play, is not ready for serious playing time. Has looked pretty bad out there the past 2 games.

Ok someone do the rest, its late.

LB Keenan Clayton

QB Mike Kafka

TE Clay Harbor

DE Ricky Sapp

WR Riley Cooper

RB Charles Scott

Browns:

1:7 - Joe Haden, CB Florida. Really coming on of late, with picks in the last 3 games, and 4 overall. Looked like our best CB on the field at times this year. I give the pick a B+.

2:38 - TJ Ward, SS Oregon. Amazing tackler in the secondary - 87 total tackles and 2 Ints on the year. Definite A for this pick.

2:59 - Montario Hardesty, RB Tennessee. Incomplete - placed on IR in preseason.

3:85 - Colt McCoy, QB Texas. What more can you say about this kid? Played extremely well in his 3-4 games this season. An "A" for the games he was in, "B" overall due to lack of playing time and injuries.

3:93 - Shawn Lauvao, OG Arizona State. Started one game for us and played in 5 total. Could be a nice contributor in the future. Grade of "C+" for now.

5:160 - Larry Asante, S Nebraska. Miss on this pick, as he was waived before the season began. "F"

6:177 - Carlton Mitchell, WR South Florida. Limited playing time, but caught his first NFL pass last game. Definite Incomplete for now.

6:186 - Clifton Geathers, DE South Carolina. Waived by Browns. "F"

3 of our first 4 picks were amazing, and our 5th could work out for us as well. Depending on how well Hardesty is able to come back, this could be one of our best drafts in years.

RustyFA2 said:
I am wondering how the rookies are faring on each team. As a Vikings fan I'll run down how things are shaping up there. Please add your team.

2 34 Chris Cook DB Virginia-looked great in pre-season and training camp but has been injured a lot of the year. He has started games and looks the part. Other than pass coverage that is. He definitely needs improvement and just needs to stay healthy. I have been impressed with what I have seen of Cook, I just haven't seen very much because of the injuries - if he gets healthy he will be a really good corner, especially with his size.

2 19 51 Toby Gerhart RB Stanford-I was not happy the Vikes traded their 2nd and 3rd to grab him but am happy he is on the team. So far he has shown veryy very little. they have brought him in on short situations and he has not gotten very many converted. Granted the OL has done him no favors. I don't think you write him off yet. He probably needs the ball a lot to be effective. Again, I have been impressed. I think we all knew that he wouldn't run away from people. He catches the ball well and gets positive yardage.

4 2 100 Everson Griffin DE USC-On the team but not playing really. Great potential. Has played a lot more lately and has gotten to the QB. Great chance to step in next season when Ray Edwards likely departs.

5 30 161 Chris DeGeare G Wake Forest-I think he is on the team but has not played. A year or two down the road he may be in the mix. Has a chance to play in the coming weeks with Herrera on IR and Hutch beat up a little bit. I was impressed with him in the preseason but hasn't had a shot to play yet.

5 36 167 Nathan Triplett LB Minnesota-Cut

6 30 199 Joe Webb QB Alabama-Birmingham-Shows great potential. A lot of people want the team to give him the job. I think he may have a future in the NFL as a returner/Wildcat guy I love his potential, but understand that Frazier needs to win with Favre and the same players to help show that he deserves the full time job. Strong arm and VERY fast. Very intriguing prospect who could benefit from watching all the time that Favre puts in studying the game.

7 7 214 Mickey Shuler TE Penn State-Practice Squad-I think

7 30 237 Ryan D'Imperio LB Rutgers-Cut He is on the Practice Squad and I thought he looked much better than Tahi in the preseason. Played LB in college but was drafted as a fullback, which is the position he plays. I think he will be the FB next season.

How about your teams. If this draft class had to be graded (I know, way too early) I would give the Vikes a solid D+. I would say B- or C+. It depends on how Webb turns out (and what position he plays). With how Colt McCoy has looked, they may have made a mistake not taking him, unless Webb steps up - which he may do in the future.

smashingsilver said:
RustyFA2 said:
Shuler was waived in September, and subsequently claimed by the Dolphins, where he's played almost exclusively as a blocker.
Thanks. I was not sure on the last two but thought I heard he was offered a PS spot. I must have been wrong. Thanks

RustyFA2 said:
I am wondering how the rookies are faring on each team. As a Vikings fan I'll run down how things are shaping up there. Please add your team.

2 34 Chris Cook DB Virginia-looked great in pre-season and training camp but has been injured a lot of the year. He has started games and looks the part. Other than pass coverage that is. He definitely needs improvement and just needs to stay healthy. I have been impressed with what I have seen of Cook, I just haven't seen very much because of the injuries - if he gets healthy he will be a really good corner, especially with his size.

2 19 51 Toby Gerhart RB Stanford-I was not happy the Vikes traded their 2nd and 3rd to grab him but am happy he is on the team. So far he has shown veryy very little. they have brought him in on short situations and he has not gotten very many converted. Granted the OL has done him no favors. I don't think you write him off yet. He probably needs the ball a lot to be effective. Again, I have been impressed. I think we all knew that he wouldn't run away from people. He catches the ball well and gets positive yardage.

4 2 100 Everson Griffin DE USC-On the team but not playing really. Great potential. Has played a lot more lately and has gotten to the QB. Great chance to step in next season when Ray Edwards likely departs.

5 30 161 Chris DeGeare G Wake Forest-I think he is on the team but has not played. A year or two down the road he may be in the mix. Has a chance to play in the coming weeks with Herrera on IR and Hutch beat up a little bit. I was impressed with him in the preseason but hasn't had a shot to play yet.

5 36 167 Nathan Triplett LB Minnesota-Cut

6 30 199 Joe Webb QB Alabama-Birmingham-Shows great potential. A lot of people want the team to give him the job. I think he may have a future in the NFL as a returner/Wildcat guy I love his potential, but understand that Frazier needs to win with Favre and the same players to help show that he deserves the full time job. Strong arm and VERY fast. Very intriguing prospect who could benefit from watching all the time that Favre puts in studying the game.

7 30 237 Ryan D'Imperio LB Rutgers-Cut He is on the Practice Squad and I thought he looked much better than Tahi in the preseason. Played LB in college but was drafted as a fullback, which is the position he plays. I think he will be the FB next season.

How about your teams. If this draft class had to be graded (I know, way too early) I would give the Vikes a solid D+. I would say B- or C+. It depends on how Webb turns out (and what position he plays). With how Colt McCoy has looked, they may have made a mistake not taking him, unless Webb steps up - which he may do in the future.
Thanks for the added Vikes info. I have a young one and have not been able to follow as close as I usually do. I like Gerheart but just cannot see any reason to impressed sans his last game. I agree that next year Griffin could start. From a couple drafts back L Guitron at DT is finally playing. And playing well. Very surprising as he has been MIA for two years.

Bucs:

1. Gerald McCoy (1st round pick, DT)- McCoy started out slow, but has gotten better every week and is playing very good football right now. McCoy had two 1/2 sacks against the 49ers two weeks ago, and had 2 full sacks against the Ravens last week. Could be the the leader of the defense for years to come.

2. Brian Price (2nd round pick), DT- Went on IR in early November. Was pretty much battling various injuries since he was drafted. When he did play however, he showed flashes. He looked even better than McCoy at times. High upside if he can stay healthy.

3. Arrelious Benn (2nd round pick, WR)- Has stared opposite Mike Williams the past several weeks. Hasn't been putting up great numbers, but has been very solid. Has made a couple big plays, including a 14 yard TD catch against the Falcons, and a 53 yard catch against the Cardinals.

4. Myron Lewis (3rd round pick, CB)- Has been battling injuries this year, but is healthy now. He's played in 5 games and has been solid. Even though he was called for pass interference last week (which set up a Ravens TD a couple plays later) he actually had perfect coverage on the play. Him and E.J. Biggers have been sharing time as the nickleback.

5. Mike Williams (4th round pick, WR)- Stud. Mike Williams has been the Bucs best WR since he was drafted, and now has 45 catches for 701 yards, and 6 TDs. He's had a few drops this year, but he's the kind of WR that if Freeman can get the ball anywhere near him, he's gonna find a way to make the catch.

6. Brett Bowden (6th round pick, P)- Very good at directional kicking, but just didn't have the strong leg the Bucs wanted. Was cut at the end of preseason, and is the Bucs only draft pick no longer on the team.

7. Cody Grimm (7th round pick, S)- I was very disapointed when Grimm had to be put on IR this week. Grimm has been the Bucs most surprising rookie. He started every game since week 2. He did give up a big TD in his first start against the Steelers, but has played very well since then. He does not miss tackles, and had a INT returned for the TD against the Bengals. He'll be missed this year, but he has a very bright future.

8. Dekoda Watson (7th round pick, OLB)- Watson was mostly a special teams player the 1st half of the year, but started a couple games at linebacker due to injuries. He's been solid on both special teams and when he's played on defense. Could be a future starter.

9. Erik Lorig (7th round pick, FB, TE, DE)- The guy is simply a football player. He was drafted as a defensive end, and played defensive end throughout camp and preseason. Once the season started, he was moved to fullback. Lorig started a few games at fullback in place of Earnest Graham, and the Bucs running game didn't miss a beat.

10. LaGarette Blount (UDFA, RB)- Signed off waivers from Tennessee, Blount has been a beast so far. Blount has played in 8 games, and has 500 yards and 4 TDs. Whether he runs over defenders, or jumps over them, Blount finds ways to fight for every yard.

11. Ted Larson- (6th round pick by Patriots, G)- Signed off waivers at the beginning of the season, Larsen has played in 7 games for Tampa, starting in 6. He had some penalites called on him his first couple games, but has played about as well as you could expect from a 6th round rookie. His play actually sent Jeremy Zuttah to the bench.

12. Dez Briscoe- (6th round pick by Bengals, WR)- Briscoe has been on the practice squad all year, and was just signed to the active roster this week. The Bucs wanted to make sure no one picked up Briscoe from waivers, so paid him $310,000 this year, instead of the normal practice squad salary. I've read that in practice, Briscoe has looked like the 3rd best WR on the team behind Williams and Benn. I'm excited to see what he can do.

13. Robert Malone (UDFA, P)- Has been solid, averaging 40.6 yards per punt, but has been inconsistent. Malone has had a few really bad punts this year, and I will be suprised if he isn't replaced next year.

14. Preston Parker (UDFA, WR)- Has played in 5 games, but has just 1 catch for 4 yards. Has also shared time with Michael Spurlock at kick returner.

15. Al Woods (4th round pick by Steelers, DT)- The Bucs signed Woods from the Steelers practice squad, and has played in 4 games so far. He's played decent the past 2 weeks, and has 6 tackles, and 1/2 a sack.

16. Larry Asante (5th round pick, S)- Signed off the Browns practice sqaud this week, I'm excited to see what he can do. Raheem Morris recruited him out of high school, but Asante chose to go to Nebraska instead of Kansas State. Corey Lynch and Vince Anderson will get the first chance to replace Cody Grimm, but I think Asante will play some if he can get the playbook down over the next couple weeks.

17. Will Barker (UDFA, T)- Barker was signed to the practice sqaud at the end of preseason, and was signed to the active roster in late October. He's been active for 2 games, but hasn't played.

Yeah, this definitely has been a great rookie class so far. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RJS - great writeup. I too am very excited for Grimm. I never would've thought he could be that type of player. Also excited about Briscoe, it seems like they're just trying to find a slot to put him.

Best Bucs rookie class since the Sapp/Brooks draft in 95.

Patriots:

1.27 Devin McCourty CB (Rutgers) - He is currently tied 4th in the league with 5 INTs (tied 1st among rookies), is 7th among CBs with 52 TACKs, and is 6th among CBs in with 17 PDef. He has taken the #1 starting role after Leigh Bodden was placed on IR before the season started and after Darius Butler struggled early and often this season. Overall, for the starting #1 CB on the Pats, he has really played fantastic.

2.42 Rob Gronkowski TE (Arizona) - Has been the quality all-around blocking and catching TE the he was scouted as. Most scouts had him as a much better blocker than catcher, which he has proven otherwise (is great in both areas). Has been solid, if not spectacular, in the blocking game (was blocking Dwight Freeney at times without help during the Indy game with success). Among rookies, he is 4th in RECs and 3rd in RECYds Avg (10+ RECs), and 3rd among all TE's with 6 TDs (1st among rookie TEs). He has been deceptively fast, and can run routes very well. He has had 1 inopportune fumble against CLE near the goal-line that may have swung the momentum of the game (but probably not). Overall, has been solid, reliable (minus the fumble), and a consistent threat in the redzone.

2.53 Jermaine Cunningham OLB (Florida) - Has started every game since wk 3, but missed the preseason, so has been playing catch-up all season long. He has 26 TACKs, 1 SAK, and 2 FFs. While not spectacular stats, he has played very well at times, but not consistently. Has been credited by many for putting pressure on P.Manning on his game-ending INT by forcing him to adjust his throw. Although it’s been a long time since wk 3, I still give him the benefit of the doubt, but don't think we are going to get quite the production we were hoping. However, from pure observation, he has set the edge in the running game (in the 2 gap 3-4 that NE runs) immensely better than any other OLB the Pats have. Overall, he has been ok.

2.63 Brandon Spikes ILB (Florida) - Has started 8 GMs. Is 3rd among rookies in total COMB TACKs, but other than that has not been spectacular. Is a BEAST in the running game (minus the CLE game) and is very instinctive, often stopping the runner at the line of scrimmage +- 2yds. BB has been quoted saying that he doesn't understand how Spikes makes the instinctive decisions that he does, and that it’s not how his LBs are taught to play, but he isn't going to try and force him to change that much. However, he has been a liability in the passing game, which is why he hasn't started the last 2 games against Indy and Det (generally passing teams). Overall, he has been good, has made plays, but is not a complete ILB, but has, IMO, the ability to improve a lot.

3.90 Taylor Price WR (Ohio) - Is on the 53 man roster but has been either inactive, or active and not playing, in all of the games (was on the practice squad to start the season). From training camp, to the preseason, and in practices, much has been said about Taylor Price from locals, in that he has looked great, even near amazing. Recently, some have been calling for him to start over Brandon Tate, who has been making some key drops on easy catchable balls. Overall, his assessment is incomplete, and I gather he is still learning the ropes and fine-tuning his route running, but the fact he is on the 53 man roster gives me much more hope than if he was on the practice squad. He won't be starting at all this year, given no other WR injuries occur.

4.113 Aaron Hernandez TE (Florida) - Probably the best pick in the draft for the Pats, given his production and comparison to his higher draft pick companions. Scouts had him as a mid-2nd draft pick if it were not for him failing a drug test (which was way overacted on, see link). Is truly a WR masquerading as a TE (as I believe David Yudkin has posted before), ranking among rookie TE’s 2nd with 36 REC, 1st with 462 Yds, 1st with 12.8 RECYds Avg (10+) and 1st with 42 Yds/G. He has struggled at times with his concentration, making some pretty bad drops. He is not a complete TE, as his skills lie at route-running and catching rather than blocking. Overall, he has been fantastic. If he can fix losing the mental concentration in games, I think he will find himself putting up big numbers fairly consistently.

5.150 Zoltan Mesko P (Michigan) - Is 10th among punters in Net Avg Punt Yds with 39. Overall, he hasn't been fantastic, but has had some key punts (because, of what locals call, his "Romanian Roll") where some punt returners have backed away from shorter punts, which have landed and rolled an extra 15 or so yards; has handled some questionable if not awful snaps from LS Jake Ingram (who has since been replaced) in both punts and field goals. He needs to improve at getting the ball downed inside the 20 and punting a little bit farther. His punts usually get a ton of hang time, but it’s distance and accuracy in the 20's he could improve on. Overall, a solid pick.

6.205 Ted Larsen C (NC State) - Waived before season started. Is currently with the Bucs.

7.208 Thomas Welch OT (Vanderbilt) - Waived before season started. Is currently on the Viking’s practice squad.

7.247 Brandon Deaderick DL (Alabama) - Has started as a DE in 4 games this season, out of necessity because of injuries to Mike Wright. In those 4 games, he has made a total of 10 TACKs and 2 SAKs. IIRC, he made a key sack in the SD game. I think an assessment of his ability would be premature at this point, but the fact he was a 7th rounder and has started and registered 2 SAKs in 4 games is quite remarkable. Overall, I think with this early experience and success, if he continues to work hard and improve his game, he could become a consistent sub in situational roles and maybe even inch into that starting role someday.

7.248 Kade Weston DL (Georgia) - On IR. Haven't heard much at all about him.

7.250 Zac Robinson QB (Oklahoma State) - Waived before season started. Currently with the Lions.

Undrafted Dane Fletcher DE/OLB (Montana State) - Has played in 8 games, with little actual playing time in each game. He has registered 13 TACKs and 1 FF playing, IIRC, ILB; has actually played well in games with extended playing time. His 1 FF was key in the Pats win in the SD game. With more experience and practice, I think he will become a solid consistent sub. He needs more playing time for an accurate assessment, but has been a surprise up to this point.

Undrafted Bryan Anderson WR (CMU) - Waived before season started.

Undrafted Sergio Brown S (Notre Dame) - Signed in wk 7, has been active every game, playing in 4. Has registered 11 TACKs. Had one key game changing stop, but cannot recall which game. Has had limited playing time, so no assessment can be made as of now.

Undrafted Kyle Love DL (Mississippi State) - Has been active in 4 games, registering 2 TACKs in those games, and 1 PDef. Has had limited playing time, so no assessment can be made as of now.

Undrafted Ross Ventrone S (Villanova) - Is currently on the practice squad and hasn't played.

Undrafted Pat Paschall RB (North Dakota State) - Signed and waived multiple times, the last being a waive. Not sure if he is with another team. Was hoping the team would keep him just for his name.

Undrafted John Wise OL (Illinois) - Waived (I think), but not sure when.

Buffalo Bills -

CJ Spiller - pick 9, So far we pretty much spent the 9th pick on a return guy, missed a couple games due to injury. Looked great in preseason but during the regular season bouncing to many runs outside and not taking what he can get. Doesn't get the carries as we showcased Lynch early and now gave way to Fred Jackson late.

Torrell Troup - DT - pick 41, Solid rookie who is spelling pro bowl Kyle Williams. Orginally thought to be the 3-4 NT of future but playing alot in the 4-3 with Kyle Williams as well. High Motor always running hard chasing plays.

DE - Alex Carrington 3rd - Special Teams guy hasn't gotten onto the field much with Stroud and Kelsay playing well.

Marcus Easley - WR - Out for Year. 4th round hurt in camp.

Ed Wang 5th round OL - Project OL from VT, Hurt in camp, just starting to be active on Sundays because of injuries. Doesn't see the field much.

Arthur Moats 5th OLB - Love this kid, can really get to the QB, great on ST and when he comes in for breathers he's always around the ball.

6th - Danny Batten OLB - Hurt in camp

7th- Levi Brown cut and brought back to be the backup once trent was let go.

7TH kyle calloway OL - Iowa - didnt make roster

Donald Jones and David Nelson two UNDRAFTED WR's have made huge impacts on offense. After Lee and Steve and as soon as Roscoe went down, Fitzpatrick has used Jones and Nelson quite alot! As well as Antonio Coleman the LB when your seeing time over Aaron Maybin last years first round pick its either Maybin stinks (yes) or Coleman is better (Yes)

Codaro Howard OL - undrafted starting at RT

1. Jerry Hughes DE - Very disappointing. Has hardly seen the field.

2. Pat Angerer LB - Looks like a solid player. Does pretty well in pass coverage, but struggles to shed blocks get after the ballcarrier in the run game.

3. Kevin Thomas CB - IR before the start of training camp.

4. Jacques McClendon OL - Hasn't cracked the starting lineup at G, despite the dreadful play there. Not a good sign. However, he has been learning TE due to the pile of injuries there, so that might have delayed his development as an interior lineman.

5. Brody Eldridge TE - Looks like a keeper as a blocking TE, but he has been injured most of the year.

7. Kavell Conner LB - Earned playing time early in the season, but has been injured most of the year.

I'll bite....

Pittsburgh-

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C - Has exceeded just about every expectation that he was saddled with, and they were pretty high. Most expected him to start very quickly, I doubt many expected him to start from day one and be as good as he has been. He's had games where he's dominated the POA. As lousy as that Steeler OL has been, it would have likely been apocalyptic without Pouncey.

2. Jason Worilds, OLB - Not a lot of PT 11-on-11 yet. Still has a ways to go in coverage, but he's shown flashes as a rusher. Has a couple sacks and he's shown that crazy first step he had at V-Tech. He's been really good on special teams and, if memory serves, is leading the team in ST tackles. If he isn't the leader, he's close. Has the look of your 'typical' career path for "Steeler Rush OLB": Draft physically freakish DEs that have a little experience dropping into coverage, make the switch to LB, then give them a year or two under Butler to be reshaped. Profit. It may be 2012 before he sees any serious PT, but it looks like he's eventually going to be an every down contributor, though on thirds it may be with his hand on the ground a la Woodley(particularly if Woodley isn't re-signed). He was a junior when he came out, so in a sense they have a little time to "have the game slow down" for him.

3. Manny Sanders, WR - Has been doing well on returns, but is still pulled from PR duty too often for friggin' Randle El when teams are looking to pin the Steelers inside the 20. The coaches claim it's because Randle El is less of a chance to fumble, but they apparently are blocking out his first run with Pittsburgh when they say that. :confused: Sanders is probably their best threat to house kicks presently on the roster, since they won't use Wallace on returns. Sanders is slowly being worked into the rotation more at WR. He's had his moments, both good and bad. In all honesty, abilitywise he should be the #3 over Randel El right now, but he's made one or two bonehead plays that have costs TDs. He's still listed as the #4, but he's seems to be getting more snaps each week.

4. Thaddeus Gibson, OLB - Signed off of waivers by San Francisco in early November. He was the star of the first couple weeks of camp, pretty much disappeared after that. Word was that they'd hoped to get him to the PS, but had to axe someone to bring on another DL after Smith/Kiesel were injured.

5a. Chris Scott, OT - Was PUP'd to start the season. Came off that when Starks was injured. Has done virtually nothing, even though both Steelers' OT spots have been decimated by injury, and I'm not sure he's even been on the active roster for a single game yet. Pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

5b. Crezdon Butler, CB - Currently 5th on the CB depth chart, 6th if you count Anthony Madison(I don't. He's a STer only). Has dressed for one game. Complete project, but that was what he was billed as when drafted.

5c. Stevenson Sylvester, LB - Hasn't seen hardly any snaps 11-on-11 yet, but he's been a solid contributor on coverage units all year. Has at least one FF on a return that I can recall, and may have had a second one(not sure on that though. Would have to check.) I think he's been active for just about every game so far. Keith Butler(LB coach) allegedly loves the guy.

6a. Johnathan Dwyer, RB - Currently the #4 tailback. Has yet to receive a regular season touch that I can remember. IIRC, he's been on the active roster every week though and the Steelers have chosen not to expose him to waivers to get to the PS throughout the season, even when there were a couple weeks were they absolutely had to do something to get guys on both OL and DL onto the roster. Coaches must like something he's doing in practices, or why keep him around? Mewelde Moore being an imminent UFA may have something to do with it, and the Steelers could just be sitting tight on Dwyer in an effort to get his blocking where it needs to be(the biggest rub he had in TC) then roll with Mendenhall/Redman/Dwyer as their top 3 in 2011.

6b. Antonio Brown, WR - Supposed to have been a guy they were going to throw out there on KR/PR this season, at the least, but it reportedly took quite a while before he started picking up the offense so they couldn't justify dressing him. Ergo, his use has been limited. Has dressed in only a handful of games and has only a couple catches. Was a projection type when drafted, but they like him. He's another junior they grabbed, so they have some time to be patient with him.

7. Doug Worthington, DL - Signed to Tampa's practice squad in early November. No idea if he's still there or not.

RustyFA2 said:

Thanks for the added Vikes info. I have a young one and have not been able to follow as close as I usually do. I like Gerheart but just cannot see any reason to impressed sans his last game. I agree that next year Griffin could start. From a couple drafts back L Guitron at DT is finally playing. And playing well. Very surprising as he has been MIA for two years.
DeGeare starting today in place of Hutchinson.

delusional said:
Eagles:1.13 DE Brandon Graham: Getting some playing time with DE Parker hurting, spent time playing DT & DE situationaly early in the season. Can't grade, hasn't played enough but based on the little playing time, not having the impact expected, especially since the Eagles traded up for him.2.37 FS Nate Allen: Starting FS. Began the year pretty well, defensive rookie of the month in september , had a few down games but is expected from a rookie. Good pick, looks to be the FS for a while, could bulk up a bit.3.86 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim: Inactive most the year sans 4 games. Another situational DE. Didnt understand this pick considering they traded up to get Graham & traded for DE Darrly Tapp in the offseason already. 4.105 CB Trevard Lindley: CB was a big hole going into the draft, this pick won't fill it. May be a good nickel some da. Inactive 5 games this year, activated to help with depth ( Hobbs & Samuel injuries ). Think he is doing ST play, is not ready for serious playing time. Has looked pretty bad out there the past 2 games.Ok someone do the rest, its late. LB Keenan ClaytonQB Mike KafkaTE Clay HarborDE Ricky SappWR Riley CooperRB Charles Scott
LB Keenan Clayton - Not much to say here, though against the Colts (IIRC) he was used as both a safety and a linebacker and his flexibility enabled Sean McDermott to throw many different looks at Manning. Supposedly not a good practice player, which could be contributing to his inability to get much playing time even though he has shown some good things in games.QB Mike Kafka - Emergency QB, horrible in the pre-season for whatever that's worth.TE Clay Harbor - He can catch and block, though his frame isn't huge for a blocking tight end. He has been getting increasingly involved over the past few games. As of now, I'm not sure that he should be expected to supplant Celek at any point, barring injury, but he seems to have the ability to have an impact at some point.DE Ricky Sapp - on IRWR Riley Cooper - Tough for him to get much action given the WR depth, but he did make one hell of a catch on a deep ball that he had to adjust to about 4 games ago. He's been inactive a few times, but AFAIK the coaching staff is happy enough with his effort and special teams play.RB Charles Scott - Traded to the Cardinals for Jorrick Calvin, kickoff returner best known for his penalty-negated TD on Thursday night and being screamed at by Michael Vick to get his head out of his ### because he seemed to be a fumble waiting to happen on every return.

New Orleans Saints

Round 1, Pick 32 Patrick Robinson - CB - FSU - He has been thrown into the fire a couple of times this year with Tracy Porter and Jabari Greer fighting injuries this year. He has also been injured a couple of games this year. He has played in 8 games. When he has been in there he's played tough, but has made his fair share of mistakes. For example, he fell down on the Roy Williams play against the Cowboys when Malcolm Jenkins stripped him farther down the field. He has shown a lot of potential though.

Round 2, Pick 32 Charles Brown - OT - USC - He is more of a talented project. I don't even think he has seen the field this year. With Jermon Bushrod and John Stinchcomb as the starters and staying healthy, he hasn't had to do any more then sit back, watch, and learn. During the preseason, he took his lumps and was criticised a lot. The Saints have been very good under Sean Payton in drafting o-lineman though. Bushrod, Nicks, and Evans were all mid-round steals. Of course Brown, being drafted in the second round, was taken higher then all 3 of them.

Round 3, Pick 31 Jimmy Graham - TE - Miami - He was supposed to be a project, but as the fantasy world has seen, his potential is really starting to show. He only played one year of college football after playing 4 years for the basketball team. I don't even think the Saints would have expected Graham to get as much playing time this year with him being stuck behind Shockey and David Thomas. He is a defensive nightmare and is often lined up in a slot position instead of the tight end position. He is definatly an up and coming star, but how much does the Saints spread it around style hurt his fantasy future to become a stud fantasy tight end? He has 1 touchdown catch and he had another called back for pushing off. He should learn from that mistake because he really didn't have to push off to make the catch anyway. I think it was more his basketball background that cost him that td.

Round 4, Pick 25 Al Woods - DT - LSU - He was supposed to be the answer for the run stuffing DT needed next to Sedrick Ellis and the Saints traded up to get him.. Of course, for anyone that follows LSU, you knew he was very talented, but never lived up to his college expectations. This is even more obvious when he didn't even make the saints 53 man opening day roster. Last I have heard, he was picked up a week or two ago by the Tampa Bay Bucs. Myself, I will be suprised if he ever turns into an every week starter.

Round 5, Pick 27 Matt Tennant - C - Boston College - He is slated to replace Johnathan Goodwin at Center somewhere in the future. He was one of the top Centers coming out of college, but he will not see the field until Goodwin either retires or declines enough where Tennant beats him out. Goodwin and Brees have a great relationship and rarely make mistakes with the snap. In the preseason, he saw some time at the backup guard position also.

Round 7, Pick 32 Sean Canfield - QB - Oregon State - He didn't look good at all during the preseason and lost the backup job to Chase Daniel really early in the offseason. He has been on the Saints practice squad for most of the year and has even been called up to the active roster on short weeks like the Dallas game, but has never been close to seeing the field.

UDFA Chris Ivory - RB - Tiffin - Ivory caught plenty of eyes very early on in training camp with his tough running and passed up the likes of P.J. Hill and Lynell Hamilton who both got hurt and went on IR. as the regular season came and moved along, Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas both got hurt, like they normally do and it thrusted Ivory into a share of the starting running back position. He leads all rookie running backs in rushing yards with 519 yards on 108 carries for a 4.8 ypc average. He also has 3 rushing tds. He has been splitting carries with Julius Jones and Ladell Betts. He also leads the saints in rushing yards.

UDFA Junior Galette - DE - Stillman - He started off his college career at Temple and was unstoppable. He is an amazing speed rusher. He had some troubles with his brother making mistakes and Galette took responsibility for his brother's mistakes. He looked unstoppable in the preaseson against lesser talent, but earned a roster spot and has been working his way up the ladder from inactive to a special teams player. With another strong offseason and strong showing in the preseason games, he will be hard to keep off the field in the defensive lineup during the regular season.

Lions

1. Suh has been causing havoc since week 1 and has racked up amazing numbers for a DT: 49 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 int, 1 fumble recovery, 1 TD. His combination of strength and athleticism is rare even at the NFL level. Plays with a real mean streak and has been involved in a few questionable hits.

1. Jahvid Best looked very special before being hurt. If he is healthy (which he hasn't been since week 3), he is a difference maker. However, this only fuels the fires of Best being too injury-prone for the NFL.

3. Amari Spievey was a CB at Iowa, but failed miserably in camp at corner and was on the verge of being cut. At the recommendations of the scouts who liked him, he was moved to safety. A few injuries later and he is the Lions starting safety. He is a good tackler, but he also makes some very poor rookie mistakes. He could develop into a potential starter with more experience at the position.

Jury is still out on Willie Young and Jason Fox.

Tim Toone is a practice squad guy. Nothing more.

Lions1. Suh has been causing havoc since week 1 and has racked up amazing numbers for a DT: 49 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 int, 1 fumble recovery, 1 TD. His combination of strength and athleticism is rare even at the NFL level. Plays with a real mean streak and has been involved in a few questionable hits.1. Jahvid Best looked very special before being hurt. If he is healthy (which he hasn't been since week 3), he is a difference maker. However, this only fuels the fires of Best being too injury-prone for the NFL.3. Amari Spievey was a CB at Iowa, but failed miserably in camp at corner and was on the verge of being cut. At the recommendations of the scouts who liked him, he was moved to safety. A few injuries later and he is the Lions starting safety. He is a good tackler, but he also makes some very poor rookie mistakes. He could develop into a potential starter with more experience at the position. Jury is still out on Willie Young and Jason Fox. Tim Toone is a practice squad guy. Nothing more.
Good job 80s, thanks.Suh is amazing - stays healthy, sky is the limit. He's the kind of player a franchise hopes to get once in a generation.Best as a CoP is a sick thought. We can't afford to spend another 1st/2nd/3rd on offensive skill players - have to find quality OL and LBs there - so he has to be the guy next year. Going to be very disappointing if he can't stay healthy next year. He looked elite pre-season and the first two weeks.When C.C. Brown got hurt I was really excited to see how Spievey plays. He has been a disaster. Not so much from a talent perspective, but being woefully out of position. I knew Brown couldn't cover anybody from when he was with the Giants. Spievey has really hung his teammates out to dry, and often. Hopefully he is coachable, because right now he is just not getting it done. But I remain hopeful he can turn out to be serviceable. We don't need awesome DBs; that D-line is good enough to bring serious heat. With a playmaker LB in next year's draft, we could get by with a mediocre back four.I'm disappointed in Young. I didn't have any delusions he would start, but it would be nice if he was at least part of the rotation. I'm not sure effective you can evaluate a fourth rounder if he never gets on the field.Fox was a it of a surprise to make the team, but you really wonder what is going on after this week. With KVB missing the game, I would think the Bears would have been a good spot to see what he can do.Just hope these two get a chance in the last four games.

NY Giants:

1. DE Jason Pierre-Paul - Has been making plays, especially the past few weeks. Considered raw coming in, he's learning fast and looks to be a great pick.

2. DT Linval Joseph - He's been inactive most weeks. It's disappointing that he wasn't able to win a starting job in camp.

3. S Chad Jones - Doctors were able to save his leg after a horrible car accident. He maintains hopes of being back next season. It remains to be seen if he can recover enough to play again. Last I read he was running in a pool.

4. LB Phillip Dillard - He's been on special teams and should be in the mix to compete for a starting job next season.

5. G Mitch Petrus - He's had to play some with all the injuries the team has had. He's done well and at the very least will be good depth or eventually replace Seubert if Diehl stays at LT.

6. LB Adrian Stacy - Haven't heard much about his play.

7. P Matt Dodge - Very inconsistent. Has a powerful leg, but often lacks hang time and lacks accuracy. Feagles has been coaching him, but a vet will probably be brought in to compete with him next summer.

Lions1. Suh has been causing havoc since week 1 and has racked up amazing numbers for a DT: 49 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 int, 1 fumble recovery, 1 TD. His combination of strength and athleticism is rare even at the NFL level. Plays with a real mean streak and has been involved in a few questionable hits.1. Jahvid Best looked very special before being hurt. If he is healthy (which he hasn't been since week 3), he is a difference maker. However, this only fuels the fires of Best being too injury-prone for the NFL.3. Amari Spievey was a CB at Iowa, but failed miserably in camp at corner and was on the verge of being cut. At the recommendations of the scouts who liked him, he was moved to safety. A few injuries later and he is the Lions starting safety. He is a good tackler, but he also makes some very poor rookie mistakes. He could develop into a potential starter with more experience at the position. Jury is still out on Willie Young and Jason Fox. Tim Toone is a practice squad guy. Nothing more.
Good job 80s, thanks.Suh is amazing - stays healthy, sky is the limit. He's the kind of player a franchise hopes to get once in a generation.Best as a CoP is a sick thought. We can't afford to spend another 1st/2nd/3rd on offensive skill players - have to find quality OL and LBs there - so he has to be the guy next year. Going to be very disappointing if he can't stay healthy next year. He looked elite pre-season and the first two weeks.When C.C. Brown got hurt I was really excited to see how Spievey plays. He has been a disaster. Not so much from a talent perspective, but being woefully out of position. I knew Brown couldn't cover anybody from when he was with the Giants. Spievey has really hung his teammates out to dry, and often. Hopefully he is coachable, because right now he is just not getting it done. But I remain hopeful he can turn out to be serviceable. We don't need awesome DBs; that D-line is good enough to bring serious heat. With a playmaker LB in next year's draft, we could get by with a mediocre back four.I'm disappointed in Young. I didn't have any delusions he would start, but it would be nice if he was at least part of the rotation. I'm not sure effective you can evaluate a fourth rounder if he never gets on the field.Fox was a it of a surprise to make the team, but you really wonder what is going on after this week. With KVB missing the game, I would think the Bears would have been a good spot to see what he can do.Just hope these two get a chance in the last four games.
I don't think I would call Best a CoP back, but he would be best used in tandem with a more traditional downhill runner. I see that as a high priority, but backs like that can be had relatively cheaply in the NFL.Spievey has shown flashes and I believe he does have talent. However, he is clearly not comfortable at his position. No reason to be disappointed in Willie Young. He looked good in preseason. There isn't really room for him at D-Line as it is one spot where the Lions are deep (KVB, Avril, McBride, Jackson). What does KvB being out have to do with Fox?

Eagles:1.13 DE Brandon Graham: Getting some playing time with DE Parker hurting, spent time playing DT & DE situationaly early in the season. Can't grade, hasn't played enough but based on the little playing time, not having the impact expected, especially since the Eagles traded up for him.2.37 FS Nate Allen: Starting FS. Began the year pretty well, defensive rookie of the month in september , had a few down games but is expected from a rookie. Good pick, looks to be the FS for a while, could bulk up a bit.3.86 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim: Inactive most the year sans 4 games. Another situational DE. Didnt understand this pick considering they traded up to get Graham & traded for DE Darrly Tapp in the offseason already. 4.105 CB Trevard Lindley: CB was a big hole going into the draft, this pick won't fill it. May be a good nickel some da. Inactive 5 games this year, activated to help with depth ( Hobbs & Samuel injuries ). Think he is doing ST play, is not ready for serious playing time. Has looked pretty bad out there the past 2 games.Ok someone do the rest, its late. LB Keenan ClaytonQB Mike KafkaTE Clay HarborDE Ricky SappWR Riley CooperRB Charles Scott
LB Keenan Clayton - Not much to say here, though against the Colts (IIRC) he was used as both a safety and a linebacker and his flexibility enabled Sean McDermott to throw many different looks at Manning. Supposedly not a good practice player, which could be contributing to his inability to get much playing time even though he has shown some good things in games.QB Mike Kafka - Emergency QB, horrible in the pre-season for whatever that's worth.TE Clay Harbor - He can catch and block, though his frame isn't huge for a blocking tight end. He has been getting increasingly involved over the past few games. As of now, I'm not sure that he should be expected to supplant Celek at any point, barring injury, but he seems to have the ability to have an impact at some point.DE Ricky Sapp - on IRWR Riley Cooper - Tough for him to get much action given the WR depth, but he did make one hell of a catch on a deep ball that he had to adjust to about 4 games ago. He's been inactive a few times, but AFAIK the coaching staff is happy enough with his effort and special teams play.RB Charles Scott - Traded to the Cardinals for Jorrick Calvin, kickoff returner best known for his penalty-negated TD on Thursday night and being screamed at by Michael Vick to get his head out of his ### because he seemed to be a fumble waiting to happen on every return.
S Kurt Coleman - solid player. Best known for knocking out Austin Collie, but has played well esp for a 7th rounder.DT Jeff Owens - cut and resigned. hasn't played. probably nothing.LB Jamar Chaney - probably special teams is his upside.WR/KR Chad Hall - gadget player, new Reno Mahe.

Round One

Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

Round Three

Damian Williams, Wide Receiver, USC

Rennie Curran, Outside Linebacker, Georgia

Round Four

Alterraun Verner, Cornerback, UCLA

Round Five

Robert Johnson, Free Safety, Utah

Round Six

Rusty Smith, Quarterback, Florida Atlantic

Myron Rolle, Strong Safety, Florida State

Round Seven

Marc Mariani, Wide Receiver, Montana

David Howard, Defensive Tackle, Brown

Only players worth a dang in bold. Morgan may yet be worth something, but was injured early.

Verner looks like a starter in the long-term and Mariani already looking like one of the better KR/PRs in the league. Thankfully he has no receiving skills, so he won't get distracted in his return duties like most players who have initial success at the position.

I'll take a stab at the Packers

Round 1 -- Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa. No-brainer pick at the time and it's held up so far. He got tossed into the fray when Tauscher went down and has started at RT ever since. Despite getting little to no work at RT in camp (he played LT and LG), he has been mostly solid. Has allowed a couple more sacks then you might like (particularly had some trouble with Ray Edwards), but has gotten better every week it seems and looks to be a fixture on the line for a long time.

Round 2 -- Mike Neal, DE, Purdue. Ridiculously strong 3-4 power end who also flashed a little bit of burst and pass rush. Unfortunately was lost to the IR early in the season. If he can get and stay healthy, should be a definite rotation player, if not a starter down the road.

Round 3 -- Morgan Burnett, SS, Georgia Tech. Started at safety from day 1, and showed your typical rookie inconsistencies. He flashed some big play potential at times, but has work to do. However, he was another victim of the IR, so he won't get that work this year.

Round 5 -- Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn St. Pressed into action after Finley's injury. Not much production so far despite increased playing time. Flashes a Finley-like skillset from an athleticism standpoint, but is raw and doesn't catch the ball as well. Will hopefully be a nice #2 TE starting next year.

Round 5 -- Marshall Newhouse, OL, TCU. Liked his G/T versatility in camp/preseason...but that's all we've seen. I believe he's been a healthy scratch every week.

Round 6 -- James Starks, RB, Buffalo. Just got our first look at him. I liked what I saw, particularly in that grind-it-out 17 play drive in the 4th quarter to burn clock...that's something we haven't been able to do all year with B-Jax. I hope to see a lot more of him from here on out. Appears to be a solid one-cut runner with good forward lean...gets yards that aren't there, unlike Jackson.

Round 7 -- C.J. Wilson, DE, East Carolina. Has played more this year than was expected due to injuries to Harrell, Neal, Pickett, and Jenkins. Has a sack and has generally held his own all things considered. Looks like he could stick as a rotation player, probably nothing more.

The rookie class was strengthed by 3 undrafted rookies making the opening day roster. OL Nick McDonald's been a non-factor, but the others have made big contributions. OLB Frank Zombo has started due to injures to Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Brad Jones, and Brady Poppinga. He has 45 tackles, 4 sacks and a couple forced fumbles. Not spectacular, but much better than I would have anticipated. CB Sam Shields has been the nickel corner from day 1 and is an incredible athlete. He looks raw and out of place at times but can make up for it with his 4.2 speed. Has recently been returning kicks as well and has provided a spark there.

Overall, I think the draft will end up being pretty solid, though not spectacular. Everyone but Newhouse has started carving out roles for themselves and getting experience. Zombo and Shields both have been pleasant undrafted surprises. I think the draft will be defined by Neal and Burnett...if they can come back strongly from the injuries, they have the talent to both be starters on this defense long term.

I'll bite....

Pittsburgh-

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C - Has exceeded just about every expectation that he was saddled with, and they were pretty high. Most expected him to start very quickly, I doubt many expected him to start from day one and be as good as he has been. He's had games where he's dominated the POA. As lousy as that Steeler OL has been, it would have likely been apocalyptic without Pouncey.
Wanted the Eagles to get him badly in the draft. They had a HIGH need for a C and he would have been perfect.

vandyt said:
Round One

Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

Round Three

Damian Williams, Wide Receiver, USC

Rennie Curran, Outside Linebacker, Georgia

Round Four

Alterraun Verner, Cornerback, UCLA

Round Five

Robert Johnson, Free Safety, Utah

Round Six

Rusty Smith, Quarterback, Florida Atlantic

Myron Rolle, Strong Safety, Florida State

Round Seven

Marc Mariani, Wide Receiver, Montana

David Howard, Defensive Tackle, Brown

Only players worth a dang in bold. Morgan may yet be worth something, but was injured early.

Verner looks like a starter in the long-term and Mariani already looking like one of the better KR/PRs in the league. Thankfully he has no receiving skills, so he won't get distracted in his return duties like most players who have initial success at the position.
Mariani was the Titans best pick of the draft. Verner will contribute for years. We didn't get a good look at Morgan but from the little we saw he looks like a good player, could even be a core type. We shouldn't have expected anything from Williams but it would be nice to see something. Smith is going to be blasted but really what can we expect from a 6th round QB from a small school this early? I like Curran's chances of contributing. overall, not looking good right now but I think that would be different had Morgan been healthy.

Great idea for a thread:Raiders:1. Rolando McClain--Disappointing. The verdict is certainly not in, but MLB is an instinct position, they have them or they don't, and I'd like to see more right off the bat. He's smart, has his head on straight (which seems to be a recent trend with Raider picks thankfully), and is a hard worker, but great MLBs seem to lift the entire defense, and we haven't seen that yet from him. 2. Lamar Houston--Pretty exciting. Playing DE with DT size, and the word seems to be feisty, and a non-stop motor. Playing a position that is tough to play as a rookie, base DE, he's been very good. Not intimidated by the NFL at all, seems like they got a hit with him. 3. Jared Veldheer--Beat out Mario Henderson at LT, after being yo-yo'd between OT and C. Had some bad moments against some good DE's, but less than I expected from a rookie from freakin' Hillsdale College. Seems like his learning curve iss shorter than expected. Pretty excited about the pick.4. Jacoby Ford--When he was drafted, it was, "Haw haw, looks like Al Davis woke up for Day 2 of the draft!!" He's only had two good games, but man, what a pair of games. He's a little dude, I think WR1 is a tough projection, but I'd say Santana Moss is his ceiling. I can live with that. Looks a lot more polished as a WR than the scouting reports led us to believe.5. Walter McFadden--Finally got some PT, and got beat like a foster child last week. Hey it happens to rookie CBs, and there was some quiet good words about him during TC, so we shall see. Grade: Incomplete. Might develop, might be nothing.6. Travis Goethel--Mystery man. Injured all year, but was supposedly pushing for PT in camp. Looking forward to seeing him next summer. Redshirt year. 7 and 8--Jeremy Ware and Stevie Brown--Both have made the team, and made some plays in the field, but neither look to be long term starters. If they can hang for a few years, and help on special teams, they did what they were expected to do.
Forgot one, Bruce Campbell :moneybag:

3. Jared Veldheer--Beat out Mario Henderson at LT, after being yo-yo'd between OT and C. Had some bad moments against some good DE's, but less than I expected from a rookie from freakin' Hillsdale College. Seems like his learning curve iss shorter than expected. Pretty excited about the pick.
:goodposting: we all have our "pet players", Veldheer was one of mine during the mocks and draft prep, it's great to see this kid doing well even if it is in Oakland.

Here's the Bengals draft...1.21 Jermaine Gresham (TE). 44 catches for 366 yards and 3 TDs. That leads all rookie TEs in receptions. He's tied for 3rd overall in receptions (Best and Tampa Mike are ahead - he's tied with Dez Bryant). He's been solid and I think he's going to be a 10-year stud for us at TE. Have to give the team an A for this one.2.54 Carlos Dunlap (DE). Didn't play at all in the first 5 games. Has come on of late with 2 sacks in his last game and 3 in his 3 games. Finally seems to be winning the confidence of the coaching staff. Could prove to be another great pick. I'll give it a B right now.3.80 Jordan Shipley (WR). 40 catches for 518 yards and 2 TDs. Has been solid as a #3 WR this year (I honestly think we win the Tampa game if he had played instead of Andre Caldwell but he was out due to the dubious hit by that guy from the Browns. Looks like he could be a real solid top-2 receiver for us sooner than later and a steal in the third round. I have to give this pick an A.3.96 Brandon Ghee (CB). Basically he's been a special teams contributor this year. Given what we have at the position, it's tough to figure he'd set the world on fire. Real grade is probably incomplete, but I'll give it a C since he's worked his way on to the field. Will be interesting to see how he develops but he's injured and doubtful for this week.4.120 Geno Atkins (DT). Doesn't have big numbers but he's been in the tackle rotation and to be honest I think our meager pass rush has tended to look better when he's been in there. According to the Bengals website he leads the team in QB pressures with 9. I like what I've seen so far and think he'll be a keeper. Given the round he was drafted in I have to go A- here.4.131 Roddrick Muckleroy (LB). He's basically played on special teams and that's about it. Gotta go C at this point but at least the coaches are confident enough in him to have him dressing.5.152 Otis Hudson (OG). Great Footballguys name there. He's on the practice squad and is one of those project guys we always seem to take on the o-line. Based on that track record I have to give it a D- here.6.191 Dez Briscoe (WR). Cut in camp and the Bucs outbid the Bengals to put him on the practice squad (they gave more $ in a move that doesn't happen all that often in the NFL). The Bucs signed him to the active roster in November but he has yet to play. He's a guy that is seen as a sleeper type who could develop into a good pro down the line. Gotta give an F since he's already gone.7.228 Reggie Stephens ©. He's on the 53-man roster but has been inactive for every game. Another project-type guy I guess but he was good enough I guess to be on the active team rather than the practice squad. Incomplete would seem right but that's wussin' out. I gotta give a C- since he's a 7th rounder. :thumbup:So even with the season being as wretched as it has been, I really can't call this a bad draft class. 4 guys are regular contributors and 2 guys at least are playing on special teams. I think Gresham, Shipley, Dunlap, and Atkins are going to be mainstays.-QG
QG,Nice synopsis. I am not a Bengals fan, and from afar, while you guys have had dubious character picks over the last 7 years (Rucker, Henry), you guys rarely crap the bed, but tend not to be able to put it together on the field. Is it GM or coaching issue? Do you happen to know who makes the draft room calls? I am curious since Mike Brown is given a tough rap b/c he is cheap, but if he is making these calls, I wonder whether it falls on coaching?
Thanks, ultimately it is a GM issue and that GM is name Mike Brown. Longer vent coming at some point about this. Not like HE's going anywhere anytime soon :( -QG

I'll take a stab at the PackersRound 1 -- Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa. No-brainer pick at the time and it's held up so far. He got tossed into the fray when Tauscher went down and has started at RT ever since. Despite getting little to no work at RT in camp (he played LT and LG), he has been mostly solid. Has allowed a couple more sacks then you might like (particularly had some trouble with Ray Edwards), but has gotten better every week it seems and looks to be a fixture on the line for a long time.Round 2 -- Mike Neal, DE, Purdue. Ridiculously strong 3-4 power end who also flashed a little bit of burst and pass rush. Unfortunately was lost to the IR early in the season. If he can get and stay healthy, should be a definite rotation player, if not a starter down the road.Round 3 -- Morgan Burnett, SS, Georgia Tech. Started at safety from day 1, and showed your typical rookie inconsistencies. He flashed some big play potential at times, but has work to do. However, he was another victim of the IR, so he won't get that work this year.Round 5 -- Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn St. Pressed into action after Finley's injury. Not much production so far despite increased playing time. Flashes a Finley-like skillset from an athleticism standpoint, but is raw and doesn't catch the ball as well. Will hopefully be a nice #2 TE starting next year.Round 5 -- Marshall Newhouse, OL, TCU. Liked his G/T versatility in camp/preseason...but that's all we've seen. I believe he's been a healthy scratch every week.Round 6 -- James Starks, RB, Buffalo. Just got our first look at him. I liked what I saw, particularly in that grind-it-out 17 play drive in the 4th quarter to burn clock...that's something we haven't been able to do all year with B-Jax. I hope to see a lot more of him from here on out. Appears to be a solid one-cut runner with good forward lean...gets yards that aren't there, unlike Jackson.Round 7 -- C.J. Wilson, DE, East Carolina. Has played more this year than was expected due to injuries to Harrell, Neal, Pickett, and Jenkins. Has a sack and has generally held his own all things considered. Looks like he could stick as a rotation player, probably nothing more.The rookie class was strengthed by 3 undrafted rookies making the opening day roster. OL Nick McDonald's been a non-factor, but the others have made big contributions. OLB Frank Zombo has started due to injures to Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Brad Jones, and Brady Poppinga. He has 45 tackles, 4 sacks and a couple forced fumbles. Not spectacular, but much better than I would have anticipated. CB Sam Shields has been the nickel corner from day 1 and is an incredible athlete. He looks raw and out of place at times but can make up for it with his 4.2 speed. Has recently been returning kicks as well and has provided a spark there.Overall, I think the draft will end up being pretty solid, though not spectacular. Everyone but Newhouse has started carving out roles for themselves and getting experience. Zombo and Shields both have been pleasant undrafted surprises. I think the draft will be defined by Neal and Burnett...if they can come back strongly from the injuries, they have the talent to both be starters on this defense long term.
:drive: Not really much to add.On Bulaga, as much as I like him and think he can make that switch to LT...I kind of like him at RT now next to Sitton and think that could be a huge strength to that side. I kind of question why they don't seem to run more to that side.They will need to address the LT position (not sure Lang can play LT and may be better suited taking Colledge's spot at LG).Shields has a chance to be a special player with his speed...Ted has done pretty well with the undrafted players.

Bump.

Still missing:

Cardinals

Falcons

Ravens

Panthers

Bears

Cowboys

Broncos

Jaguars

Chiefs

Jets

Chargers

Seahawks

49's

Rams

Redskins

Let's see if we can get the rest!

Bears

Major Wright S 3rd(75th overall)- Showed great flashes in the preseason, then pulled a hammy. Got healthy and pulled his hammy against on the Dez Bryant punt return. Back again and in the rotation with Chris Harris and Daniel Manning at Saftey. He hasn't blown anything or made any major plays...the jury is still out. In the preseason he has shown to be a hitter, would be nice to see that in some real NFL games.

Corey Wooten DE 4th(109th overall)- Looked like Tarzan in training camp...some people couldn't tell the difference between Peppers and Wooten. However, he has yet to make any impact or get much PT at all.

Josh Moore CB 5th (141st overall)- Has pretty much been redshirted(a common practice in Chicago)

Dan Lefevour QB 6th (181st overall)- I liked what I saw in the preseason....but got Cut.

J'Marcus Webb RT 7th (218th overall)- Came from a small school(West Texas A&M), has great size(6'8 335), and was considered a project. Well considering the Bears OL issues...he has been thrown into the fire and has been starting at RT. He is improving but has a LONG ways to go. He doesn't move his feet well(could be due to his size) and needs to improve on technique. But as far as the production the Bears are getting from the 218th pick....has to be a huge surprise.

Panthers

1st - No first round pick.

2nd (48), Jimmy Clausen (QB) - He has struggled during his time on the team. Even though many claimed he was the "most NFL ready quarterback in the draft", he has not proven this to be so. He still has issues handling the basics, like snapping the ball, and has a difficult time making reads beyond his first option. He may develop as the years progress, but given the Panthers play this season, he may not have an opportunity, as another QB may be drafted early.

2nd (78), Brandon Lafel (WR)l - He has been a solid pick that is showing a lot of promise as the year progresses. He hasn't put up big numbers because of the struggles at QB, but we have high hopes for him in the future.

3rd (89), Armanti Edwards (WR/QB) - When it was drafted, it was assumed that he would be a project, and that is certainly the case. He's been inactive most games, and has looked horrible in the games where he has actually played (I believe it's only been 1 regular season game and the preseason games). Many believe that a new coaching staff will be the only way to get any value out of him, because they may use his unique talents a little better.

4th (124), Eric Norwood (LB) - He has played mostly special teams, but has looked decent when he's been given a chance this season. I think he can develop into a solid LB.

5th - No 5th round pick.

6th (175), Greg Hardy (DE) - He was the preseason superstar, looking fantastic on the line. He has shown flashes during the regular season, and could end up being one of the better picks of the draft for the Panthers as he continues to improve each game.

6th (198), David Gettis (WR) - Other than Clausen, probably the name that most of you will recognize the most, simply because of the few big fantasy games he has had this year. Along with Lafell, we feel like we have a solid WR corp for the future based on this draft. At this point, Gettis is ahead of Lafell in development and should be one of our starting receivers for quite a while. Right now, this has been the best pick of the draft.

6th (202), Jordan Pugh (DB) - Another good late round pick for the Panthers. He's been playing a reasonable amount over the season and has showed a decent amount of potential. He could be another one who continues to improve over the years for the Panthers.

6th (204), Tony Pike (QB) - His season ended due to injury. Prior to that point, John Fox chose Brian St. Pierre (after being on the team for 3 days) over Pike as the starting quarterback when Clausen and Moore were out. For the record, Pike looked the best of all Panthers quarterbacks in the extremely short period of time he played at the end of a game. Whether he will be a solid contributor in the future will remain to be seen. Right now, it's too early to tell anything.

7th (223), R.J. Stanford (DB) - Cut and signed to the practice squad.

7th (249), Robert Mcclain (DB) - Has been playing a little bit over the past few weeks due to some injuries. He's performing adequately for a rookie, but is still a relative unknown.

Bears

Major Wright S 3rd(75th overall)- Showed great flashes in the preseason, then pulled a hammy. Got healthy and pulled his hammy against on the Dez Bryant punt return. Back again and in the rotation with Chris Harris and Daniel Manning at Saftey. He hasn't blown anything or made any major plays...the jury is still out. In the preseason he has shown to be a hitter, would be nice to see that in some real NFL games.

Corey Wooten DE 4th(109th overall)- Looked like Tarzan in training camp...some people couldn't tell the difference between Peppers and Wooten. However, he has yet to make any impact or get much PT at all.

Josh Moore CB 5th (141st overall)- Has pretty much been redshirted(a common practice in Chicago)

Dan Lefevour QB 6th (181st overall)- I liked what I saw in the preseason....but got Cut.

J'Marcus Webb RT 7th (218th overall)- Came from a small school(West Texas A&M), has great size(6'8 335), and was considered a project. Well considering the Bears OL issues...he has been thrown into the fire and has been starting at RT. He is improving but has a LONG ways to go. He doesn't move his feet well(could be due to his size) and needs to improve on technique. But as far as the production the Bears are getting from the 218th pick....has to be a huge surprise.
I'd like to see him sit a few years on a bench playing for a warm weather/dome team. I think hes got the talent to be a good NFL backup with a few years to get physically stronger and learn the NFL speed.

I'll only bump this once more :ph34r: ; don't wanna annoy anyone!
ok been waiting for someone to do my Niners... but guess not...here goes!Round 1 (11) - Anthony Davis, OT, 6-5, 323, RutgersDidn’t like the trade up to get him... started early, and looked like a Kwame clone... doing ok/getting better as of late (didn’t allow a sack vs. AZ or GB) Round 1 (17) - Mike Iupati, OG, 6-5, 331, IdahoDamn good run blocker... ok pass blocker (so far), though I’ve seen whisperings of an offensive rookie lineman of the year nomination??? (didn’t know there was such a thing) Round 2 (40) - Taylor Mays, S, 6-3, 230, USCExcellent potential and value, not ready for full time starting yet, though has made a few plays in spot duty Round 3 (91) - Navorro Bowman, ILB, 6-0, 242, Penn StateLooks like a young Pwilly imho... needs more experience, and a bit of bulking up, but good value again. Round 6 (173) - Anthony Dixon, RB, 6-0, 233, Mississippi StateHas a few TD’s in spot duty thus far, though i expect his role to greatly increase over the last 3 weeks. Round 6 (182) - Nate Byham, TE, 6-4, 268, PittsburghPre blocking TE who has caught a few balls here and there... nothing special (decent blocker). Round 6 (182) - Kyle Williams, WR, 5-10, 187, Arizona StateWas supposed to be an excellent return specialist and 4th string wr, though i have no recollection of him taking the filed in either role so far... may have missed on this one. Round 7 (244) - Philip Adams, CB, 5-10, 192, South Carolina StateLooks strong and plays with decent instincts, though again, needs A TON more experience to touch even a nickel package... i have my hopes for this guy.Overall i give it a B to B+ (which is much much much better than a few of the previous years).BAM

I'll only bump this once more :shock: ; don't wanna annoy anyone!
I think you're not annoying anyone at all :yes: Perhaps this will actually liven up more in the off-season.Was kinda hoping one of my Bengal brothers or sisters would give a 2nd opinion on my assessment of our draft.-QG

Patriots:

1.27 Devin McCourty CB (Rutgers) - He is currently tied 4th in the league with 5 INTs (tied 1st among rookies), is 7th among CBs with 52 TACKs, and is 6th among CBs in with 17 PDef. He has taken the #1 starting role after Leigh Bodden was placed on IR before the season started and after Darius Butler struggled early and often this season. Overall, for the starting #1 CB on the Pats, he has really played fantastic.

2.42 Rob Gronkowski TE (Arizona) - Has been the quality all-around blocking and catching TE the he was scouted as. Most scouts had him as a much better blocker than catcher, which he has proven otherwise (is great in both areas). Has been solid, if not spectacular, in the blocking game (was blocking Dwight Freeney at times without help during the Indy game with success). Among rookies, he is 4th in RECs and 3rd in RECYds Avg (10+ RECs), and 3rd among all TE's with 6 TDs (1st among rookie TEs). He has been deceptively fast, and can run routes very well. He has had 1 inopportune fumble against CLE near the goal-line that may have swung the momentum of the game (but probably not). Overall, has been solid, reliable (minus the fumble), and a consistent threat in the redzone.

2.53 Jermaine Cunningham OLB (Florida) - Has started every game since wk 3, but missed the preseason, so has been playing catch-up all season long. He has 26 TACKs, 1 SAK, and 2 FFs. While not spectacular stats, he has played very well at times, but not consistently. Has been credited by many for putting pressure on P.Manning on his game-ending INT by forcing him to adjust his throw. Although it’s been a long time since wk 3, I still give him the benefit of the doubt, but don't think we are going to get quite the production we were hoping. However, from pure observation, he has set the edge in the running game (in the 2 gap 3-4 that NE runs) immensely better than any other OLB the Pats have. Overall, he has been ok.

2.63 Brandon Spikes ILB (Florida) - Has started 8 GMs. Is 3rd among rookies in total COMB TACKs, but other than that has not been spectacular. Is a BEAST in the running game (minus the CLE game) and is very instinctive, often stopping the runner at the line of scrimmage +- 2yds. BB has been quoted saying that he doesn't understand how Spikes makes the instinctive decisions that he does, and that it’s not how his LBs are taught to play, but he isn't going to try and force him to change that much. However, he has been a liability in the passing game, which is why he hasn't started the last 2 games against Indy and Det (generally passing teams). Overall, he has been good, has made plays, but is not a complete ILB, but has, IMO, the ability to improve a lot.

3.90 Taylor Price WR (Ohio) - Is on the 53 man roster but has been either inactive, or active and not playing, in all of the games (was on the practice squad to start the season). From training camp, to the preseason, and in practices, much has been said about Taylor Price from locals, in that he has looked great, even near amazing. Recently, some have been calling for him to start over Brandon Tate, who has been making some key drops on easy catchable balls. Overall, his assessment is incomplete, and I gather he is still learning the ropes and fine-tuning his route running, but the fact he is on the 53 man roster gives me much more hope than if he was on the practice squad. He won't be starting at all this year, given no other WR injuries occur.

4.113 Aaron Hernandez TE (Florida) - Probably the best pick in the draft for the Pats, given his production and comparison to his higher draft pick companions. Scouts had him as a mid-2nd draft pick if it were not for him failing a drug test (which was way overacted on, see link). Is truly a WR masquerading as a TE (as I believe David Yudkin has posted before), ranking among rookie TE’s 2nd with 36 REC, 1st with 462 Yds, 1st with 12.8 RECYds Avg (10+) and 1st with 42 Yds/G. He has struggled at times with his concentration, making some pretty bad drops. He is not a complete TE, as his skills lie at route-running and catching rather than blocking. Overall, he has been fantastic. If he can fix losing the mental concentration in games, I think he will find himself putting up big numbers fairly consistently.

5.150 Zoltan Mesko P (Michigan) - Is 10th among punters in Net Avg Punt Yds with 39. Overall, he hasn't been fantastic, but has had some key punts (because, of what locals call, his "Romanian Roll") where some punt returners have backed away from shorter punts, which have landed and rolled an extra 15 or so yards; has handled some questionable if not awful snaps from LS Jake Ingram (who has since been replaced) in both punts and field goals. He needs to improve at getting the ball downed inside the 20 and punting a little bit farther. His punts usually get a ton of hang time, but it’s distance and accuracy in the 20's he could improve on. Overall, a solid pick.

6.205 Ted Larsen C (NC State) - Waived before season started. Is currently with the Bucs.

7.208 Thomas Welch OT (Vanderbilt) - Waived before season started. Is currently on the Viking’s practice squad.

7.247 Brandon Deaderick DL (Alabama) - Has started as a DE in 4 games this season, out of necessity because of injuries to Mike Wright. In those 4 games, he has made a total of 10 TACKs and 2 SAKs. IIRC, he made a key sack in the SD game. I think an assessment of his ability would be premature at this point, but the fact he was a 7th rounder and has started and registered 2 SAKs in 4 games is quite remarkable. Overall, I think with this early experience and success, if he continues to work hard and improve his game, he could become a consistent sub in situational roles and maybe even inch into that starting role someday.

7.248 Kade Weston DL (Georgia) - On IR. Haven't heard much at all about him.

7.250 Zac Robinson QB (Oklahoma State) - Waived before season started. Currently with the Lions.

Undrafted Dane Fletcher DE/OLB (Montana State) - Has played in 8 games, with little actual playing time in each game. He has registered 13 TACKs and 1 FF playing, IIRC, ILB; has actually played well in games with extended playing time. His 1 FF was key in the Pats win in the SD game. With more experience and practice, I think he will become a solid consistent sub. He needs more playing time for an accurate assessment, but has been a surprise up to this point.

Undrafted Bryan Anderson WR (CMU) - Waived before season started.

Undrafted Sergio Brown S (Notre Dame) - Signed in wk 7, has been active every game, playing in 4. Has registered 11 TACKs. Had one key game changing stop, but cannot recall which game. Has had limited playing time, so no assessment can be made as of now.

Undrafted Kyle Love DL (Mississippi State) - Has been active in 4 games, registering 2 TACKs in those games, and 1 PDef. Has had limited playing time, so no assessment can be made as of now.

Undrafted Ross Ventrone S (Villanova) - Is currently on the practice squad and hasn't played.

Undrafted Pat Paschall RB (North Dakota State) - Signed and waived multiple times, the last being a waive. Not sure if he is with another team. Was hoping the team would keep him just for his name.

Undrafted John Wise OL (Illinois) - Waived (I think), but not sure when.
Pats may have missed on their 3rd rd WR but the other 6 players taken in rounds 1-5 are making MAJOR contributions.Most teams are lucky to have 2 rookies making such an impact ...and many have zero.

Might actually be a BAD thing that rookies need to be counted on so much ... meaning there is a lack of vet tallent at their positions.

Hard to argue with the results thus far though.

Bears

i don't think he's going to get much time either with peppers and idonije playing well.

Pats may have missed on their 3rd rd WR but the other 6 players taken in rounds 1-5 are making MAJOR contributions.

Most teams are lucky to have 2 rookies making such an impact ...and many have zero.

Might actually be a BAD thing that rookies need to be counted on so much ... meaning there is a lack of vet tallent at their positions.

Hard to argue with the results thus far though.
You think? While Price hasn't seen the field, he reportedly looked like the best (next to RM) in camp, and has repeatedly received recognition from coaches in practices (the black belt), and was promoted mid-season to the active roster. I have high-hopes for him next year. :boxing:

EDIT: But, if you had to pick one downside in the draft so far, I would single him out, only because all of the the other rookies on the team drafted 1-5 have made unexpected contributions.

Users who are viewing this thread