What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long do you keep your cars? (1 Viewer)

brohans i do not make football guy money and am the son of german immigrants so the answer is forever take that to the bank braulines

6 Months - Current Audi Q5

11 Years - Current Lexus RX 330

14 Years - Past Lexus RX 300

6 Years - Past Toyota 4Runner

2001 Accord EX-V6. 203,000 mi. Bought it new. Still have original spark plugs. Basically, LOFRs every 5-7k miles. I've had the serpentine belt replaced. Oh, and had to have the engine remounted (the bolts were coming loose).

I drove my last two cars until they were totaled. Kept our van until the needed repairs were too much of a headache.

Arizona Ron said:
2.5 to 3 years. I lease all my cars, I like driving new cars every few years.
As a pimp you gotz a rep to protect. You can't be seen in some POS, you gotta rep like you already own the streets.

2007 Toyota highlander - 125k miles, bought in 2009 with 30k. 12k/yr (one year was a lot of miles). I'll keep this in the family until it stops running.

2011 Honda Odyssey - 85k miles, bought new. ~18k/yr, we use it for all our long family trips. Likewise, we'll keep this until it stops running.

We'll add two drivers to the family in the next 5 years, they'll use the highlander and I'll get something smaller.

06-current: 2004 Jeep Wrangler - 130k mi (needs major engine work)

05-current: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 - 70k mi

Gf drives

2005 Jeep Liberty 150k

Prior car was a 94 (I think) Lexus gs300 that my pop sold me for what he was going to trade it in for back in '01-ish. Drove it until I got the jeep.

Don't think I've ever owned a car that wasn't at least a half decade old.

This thread reminds me of the people who moved into a rental house in my tract. They had a brand new Mercedes and brand new Range Rover in the driveway. I couldn't help but think that if they bought more reasonable vehicles and kept them for a long time, maybe they would be owning that house instead of renting it?

Chet would play demolition derby with the cars in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking back, I've owned a heck of a lot of cars compared to some people:

1992 - '86 Cutlass Supreme (70k miles, put 70k more on it until it died)

1999 - '99 Jeep Wrangler. Bought new when the Cutlass died and I got my first real job (big mistake buying new. Put only 20k on it).

2001 - '99 Dodger Caravan (traded the Jeep for it when wife got pregnant and rear facing seat wouldn't fit in Jeep). Not sure of the miles, but it was on its last legs when replaced.

2002ish - Bought my parents '99 Carolla so my wife could drive the Caravan.

2004 - Traded the Carolla (too small with growing kids) for my parents 95ish Camry. Camry had 140k miles, but was well cared for by my dad. Had it for one winter until it blew a gasket, and repair cost was more than the car was worth.

2005 - '01 Ford F-150. My second favorite car on this list behind the Wrangler, but money was tight and the fuel economy wasn't working for me. Bought it private party for $12,500 and traded it in for same amount almost a year later.

2006 - '02 Camry. Traded F-150 for it. Had 40k miles on it. Drove it until about 130k miles, and gave it to my step daughter when she turned 16.

2007 - '06 Sienna. Bought when the Caravan was totalled in an accident. Had 20k miles. Currently has 140k miles.

2013 - '07 Sentra. Bought it when step daughter turned 16 and needed a newer car. Nice little car, but I hated the tight ride. Sold it to buy next car and new car for step daugter,

2014 - '99 Camry. Found it in great condition for only $2500 and paid cash. Thought it might be a replacement for the '02 Camry that died on my step daughter, but she didn't want to drive a stick. (Ended up buying her an old Cavalier). Currently trying to sell it.

2015 - Bought 2002 Lexus ES300 from my dad. 180,000 miles on it. Hope it lasts a few years so my boys can beat it down in high school.

2001 Audi A6 194000 miles

2001 Ford F150 178000 miles

1994 Volvo 940 245000 miles
Thought I had the oldest.. but I'm right with you.

Still limping a 1994 Nissan Maxima with 240000 miles.

My "new" car was bought in 2009 (07 Volvo S80) and currently has 160000 miles on it.

I don't necessarily believe you should junk a car after a major repair either. I spent 3k on a new transmission on the maxima in 2006, and that car is still kicking 10 years later with no car payments. (and it allowed me to pay cash for the Volvo).

Probably will retire the Maxima this year or next. The shop is starting to have a hard time finding parts for the car. So I guess that's my criteria. I haven't made a car payment in 13 years and hopefully never will again.

This thread reminds me of the people who moved into a rental house in my tract. They had a brand new Mercedes and brand new Range Rover in the driveway. I couldn't help but think that if they bought more reasonable vehicles and kept them for a long time, maybe they would be owning that house instead of renting it?
You can turn a six figure income into paycheck to paycheck pretty quickly with those types of vehicles... it's not just the payment, it's the insurance, the property taxes, teh premium fuel, the maintenance and repairs.. and don't get me started on the depreciation.

You can turn a six figure income into paycheck to paycheck pretty quickly with those types of vehicles... it's not just the payment, it's the insurance, the property taxes, teh premium fuel, the maintenance and repairs.. and don't get me started on the depreciation.
You can do the same thing by getting married and having kids...

'02 Infiniti I35- 180000

'04 Acura TL - 98000

'08 Honda Odyssey - 130000
impressive.

This thread has become a measuring contest for who has the oldest cars.

Notice no one has come in here for their financial shaming when they say they dump cars every 2-5 years or god forbid lease... yet you know a ton of those people are here on this board.

'02 Infiniti I35- 180000

'04 Acura TL - 98000

impressive.

Notice no one has come in here for their financial shaming when they say they dump cars every 2-5 years or god forbid lease... yet you know a ton of those people are here on this thread.
Yup, no car leasers would dare show their face ITT. Nor would anyone who owns an expensive toy money pit (like a boat for example).

'02 Infiniti I35- 180000

'04 Acura TL - 98000

impressive.

Notice no one has come in here for their financial shaming when they say they dump cars every 2-5 years or god forbid lease... yet you know a ton of those people are here on this thread.
AZR did but he has nothing to be embarrassed about. See the loaning a chick $$$ thread.

2011 Maxima that's almost paid for and a 2006 Rav4 that my wife drives six blocks to work. I keep thinking that with a newborn, we should get something bigger and safer but I really would like to not have a car payment.

2011 Maxima that's almost paid for and a 2006 Rav4 that my wife drives six blocks to work. I keep thinking that with a newborn, we should get something bigger and safer but I really would like to not have a car payment.
You are OK for one kid. Both vehicles should have enough room for a car seat. You may want to think about something bigger if you have more kids!

I've bought two new cars in my life. Regretted doing it both times.

I prefer to get nicer cars (like the Infiniti/Acura type) with approximately 40-60k miles on them. And pay cash/immediate payoff if at all possible.

'02 Infiniti I35- 180000

'04 Acura TL - 98000

impressive.

Notice no one has come in here for their financial shaming when they say they dump cars every 2-5 years or god forbid lease... yet you know a ton of those people are here on this board.
I did. And leasing is not the financial nightmare that some of you think. In fact, unless you're keeping your vehicles for at least 8-10 years, leasing makes much more sense.

When you know how it works, can find good deals, get cars that have higher residuals thus costing less, and factor in zero maintenance or repair costs, then you can compare favorably to buying and keeping for a long time.

'02 Infiniti I35- 180000

'04 Acura TL - 98000

impressive.

Yup, no car leasers would dare show their face ITT. Nor would anyone who owns an expensive toy money pit (like a boat for example).
i have a boat. it was free and it's a '70 though

Meh, when my wife and I were much younger and not making a lot of money we leased one nice car (not extravagent but nice) with $0 down. We kept it under the mileage and ended up buying them after the 3 year lease was up sometimes. Not great financially but it was a nice splurge while keeping most all else in check.

We haven't had a car payment now in over 15 years though.

I've bought two new cars in my life. Regretted doing it both times.

I prefer to get nicer cars (like the Infiniti/Acura type) with approximately 40-60k miles on them. And pay cash/immediate payoff if at all possible.
I've bought almost all new cars*. I've only bought used twice and my current car was a gift from my dad/mom since they didn't want to trade it in for peanuts. That said, I usually always get at least 7/8 years and well over 100k on the cars. I have a 2012 Higlander with 1 more year of payments and it has 60k miles, so it'll be around for many years and a 2007 Lincoln MKX that my parents gave me 4 years ago with 90k miles (has 133k now). They couldn't bear to trade it in at half the retail price, so I gladly took if off their hand and sold my 2003 Explorer (9 years/140k). The MKX is running well, but I'm not sure how much longer it might go, so may be in the market sooner than I want to be. I'd like to get another 2-3 years. I don't drive that much, but it just doesn't feel quite as healthy as it did even a few months ago. Might just be the shocks, seems a little rough riding.

* Forgot to note, that I have no issues with used cars. In fact, with as little as I drive, I would definitely look there for me next time. I just never minded new cars, they were nice to own with no maintenance at all the first 3-4 years and I always kept them for 3-4+ years after they were paid off and sold them myself (way better than trade in).

So what's the ideal strategy when someone is putting on 30k miles annually and needs something reliable?

Do you buy new and then trade in at 180k miles after 6 years?

Keep driving the 30k miles annually even after 180k miles even though you are at a much greater risk of break down?

What would Jesus or Pick do?

So what's the ideal strategy when someone is putting on 30k miles annually and needs something reliable?

Keep driving the 30k miles annually even after 180k miles even though you are at a much greater risk of break down?

I would start by moving closer to the workplace. 30k miles a year is insane IMO.

ETA: You're driving over 50 miles each way to work? Or is my math off?

damn that's a hell of a commute or you are a traveling salesman type.

That means at 1.5 minutes per mile (which seems fair) that you spend 750 hours in your car, or 31 days. Basically 1 of your 12 months of the year is spent in that car or 8% of your total time... nearly 13% of your awake hours if you take out your sleep.

I would buy a lower mileage Infiniti or Acura. Their engines/transmissions are super reliable.My Acura, for example, had 45k miles and after taxes cost $15k. By the time I'm done, I feel like I'll be well ahead financially.

Maybe I do just FEEL that way. I've never run the numbers. But then I don't finance my cars either, so that has to be right...right?

I would buy a lower mileage Infiniti or Acura. Their engines/transmissions are super reliable.
i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but consumer reports has said that since Acura (honda) switched many of their newer vehicles to CVT transmissions that their reliability has suffered tremendously.

Nissan (infinity) has also had a dip in reliability over the past 6 years.

Basically Lexus/Toyota have really distanced themselves from the pack, and frankly the next tier is your suburu/Kia/Hyundai type of cars before you get to Honda.

Do you get a car allowance from work?

I would buy a lower mileage Infiniti or Acura. Their engines/transmissions are super reliable.
i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but consumer reports has said that since Acura (honda) switched many of their newer vehicles to CVT transmissions that their reliability has suffered tremendously.

Basically Lexus/Toyota have really distanced themselves from the pack, and frankly the next tier is your suburu/Kia/Hyundai type of cars before you get to Honda.
I did not know that. I guess I'd look into a Lexus then unless I could find a lower mileage, older Infiniti/Acura.

If you're putting 30k a year on your car then buy a year old Camry with about 20k and drive it for 5 years.

2001 Accord EX-V6. 203,000 mi. Bought it new. Still have original spark plugs. Basically, LOFRs every 5-7k miles. I've had the serpentine belt replaced. Oh, and had to have the engine remounted (the bolts were coming loose).
the 20 bucks for new spark plugs is going to set you back?

This kills me....I rent a place in Pasadena and a place in SF (believe me the combined rental would more than cover a mortgage). I drive an expensive Mercedes but don't want to buy a place in either until I am sure that is going to be my home for more than a few years. I am sure I look like a complete db. :bag:

ETA:

2008 Mercedes S550 - Bought it with 13K miles - Currently at 39k ish

2015 Prius (wife's car) - Paid cash after selling her 2008 with 140K miles

2001 M3 (dedicated race car) - 103K miles - runs like a top

1997 Land Rover (dedicated 4x4) - 168K miles - also runs like a top

No car debt

My cars until they die. My wife's cars until I'm worried about them dying. Was 255k on the last one.

2011 Kia Sorento has 161K miles (yeah, I drive a bit over 30K / year)

Own it outright, and youngest son about to get his liscense. Debating between two options later this year: keep the current Kia for my son (his usage will bring the average annual miles way down) and get something new for myself, OR trade in current for new and buy him a beater with unknown history. Leaning towards the former since although high miles, the Kia is realatively young albeit high miles so it could still conceivably get him through college (6 more years).

Arizona Ron said:
eoMMan said:

I would start by moving closer to the workplace. 30k miles a year is insane IMO.

When I think about it, it's closer to 25k miles annually but that's still quite a bit. We usually use my car too for all weekend trips too (Orlando, Miami, etc.)

No car allowance.

I guess my question is at what point do you ditch the car and get something newer? 200k miles? 300k miles?

2007 Honda Fit - 60k

1999 Honda CRV - 140k

My wife wants to replace the CRV with an SUV with a third row (you know, for the kids). My goal is to drag my feet as much as possible, hopefully driving that CRV until it dies. Ain't worth much, but it's better than a car payment.

Arizona Ron said:
eoMMan said:

When I think about it, it's closer to 25k miles annually but that's still quite a bit. We usually use my car too for all weekend trips too (Orlando, Miami, etc.)

No car allowance.

I guess my question is at what point do you ditch the car and get something newer? 200k miles? 300k miles?
Putting that many miles on it a year, I wouldn't get a new one until it becomes unreliable.

Arizona Ron said:
eoMMan said:

No car allowance.

Putting that many miles on it a year, I wouldn't get a new one until it becomes unreliable.
Yeah leasing isn't an option if you're driving that much each year but safety/reliability is.

If you're doing that, beat the car up back and fourth local to work but rent a car for trips/short vacations. No way would I have my week off from work ruined by a car that needed unexpected maintenance except for something a phone call wouldn't fix (e.g. flat tire).

I know zero about cars btw. I'm sure if you stay on top of the maintenance etc., it's not as bad but I haven't look under most of the hoods I drive so what do I know :shrug:

Dentist said:
Andy Dufresne said:
eoMMan said:

Not for used cars, Honda still the best because their cars are generally cheaper. The CVT issue is in the new model CRVs and Fits, the Civic and Accord still are the best used cars you can buy. Honda has a one or two year transmission issue with select models, let's not put the into the Jeep/Cadillac/Fiat category just yet.

Andy Dufresne said:
Dentist said:
Andy Dufresne said:
eoMMan said:

I did not know that. I guess I'd look into a Lexus then unless I could find a lower mileage, older Infiniti/Acura.
I'm not aware of any Acura with a CVT. I just bought my TL two and a half years ago. I don't recall seeing anything with a CVT.

Andy Dufresne said:
Dentist said:
Andy Dufresne said:
eoMMan said:

I'm not aware of any Acura with a CVT. I just bought my TL two and a half years ago. I don't recall seeing anything with a CVT.
Pretty sure the Acura issues are with the '15 TLX.

2003 Escalade - 155,000

2003 Altima - 235,000

2003 Grand Am - 140,000

All are running fine with occasional maintenance, although I just found out the transmission in the Grand Am is about to STB. Mechanic friend found a used one for $125 and will put it in for me for $750 total. Can't beat that. Everything else works fine.

I drive the Escalade, g/f drives the Altima, g/f's daughter drives the Grand Am. All are under my name. Keep up with the maintenance and care of the car, and the car will take care of you. I've had many new cars, but won't go that route ever again. Waste of money. All maintenance in the Escalade last year was oil changes and tires/front brakes. That's it. Anything a 2-3 year old car would have. Altima had oil changes and a new alternator. Grand Am had oil changes and tires and one wheel. Bought that car for $1500 last year, still going good despite the transmission issue. Happy with all three vehicles.
Nice. Impressive handling of your car situation. :thumbup:

I've only owned 4 new cars my entire life

1994 Geo Prism (drove for 9 years)

2006 BMW 330i (sold for $26k after 4.5 years)

2010 Honda CRV (still own, 50k miles)

2013 Honda Civic SI (lease up in March)

I'm leaning towards getting a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL, at least I've narrowed my search to that vehicle beyond Honda products. Since I've lived all over the world and moved 11 times in 17 years, I've had tons of cars and the longest one I ever had was the Geo. I have brand loyalty to BMW and Honda, but I like the new Fords and they are getting good reliability marks these days(although three of the four Fords I've owned were three of the five worse cars I've ever owned).

Not a fan of the GM products, especially the terrible ergonomics in the Chevy products. Every time I get a rental Chevy I take it back in and tell them I want something else.

Andy Dufresne said:
Dentist said:
Andy Dufresne said:
eoMMan said:
So what's the ideal strategy when someone is putting on 30k miles annually and needs something reliable?Do you buy new and then trade in at 180k miles after 6 years?Keep driving the 30k miles annually even after 180k miles even though you are at a much greater risk of break down?What would Jesus or Pick do?
i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but consumer reports has said that since Acura (honda) switched many of their newer vehicles to CVT transmissions that their reliability has suffered tremendously. Nissan (infinity) has also had a dip in reliability over the past 6 years. Basically Lexus/Toyota have really distanced themselves from the pack, and frankly the next tier is your suburu/Kia/Hyundai type of cars before you get to Honda.
My crv has been pretty much flawless. I do need to put new shocks / struts and tires all the way around. Figure $500 for tires and $400 or so for suspension if I do it myself. Things get pricey when I throw on the hydraulics and neon underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread