What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I think Kurt Warner deserved the MVP (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
In the 4th quarter with the game on the line, I've never seen a quarterback as good as Warner was tonight. Time and again with a guy right in his face, he made one perfect pass after another. 377 yards, 3 touchdowns. Yes, he did throw that catastrophic interception, but that was almost his only bad pass in the game.

Holmes had a very good game and was clutch in the final drive. But the Most Valuable Player tonight on either team? Gotta be Warner. I know that it's only been done once before, but I would have done it tonight. JMO

He lost the game on the last play of the first half, he doesn't deserve the MVP for that. Should have been Harrison.

In the 4th quarter with the game on the line, I've never seen a quarterback as good as Warner was tonight. Time and again with a guy right in his face, he made one perfect pass after another. 377 yards, 3 touchdowns. Yes, he did throw that catastrophic interception, but that was almost his only bad pass in the game.Holmes had a very good game and was clutch in the final drive. But the Most Valuable Player tonight on either team? Gotta be Warner. I know that it's only been done once before, but I would have done it tonight. JMO
Also the fumble to end the game doesn't help your argument, however.

In the 4th quarter with the game on the line, I've never seen a quarterback as good as Warner was tonight. Time and again with a guy right in his face, he made one perfect pass after another. 377 yards, 3 touchdowns. Yes, he did throw that catastrophic interception, but that was almost his only bad pass in the game.Holmes had a very good game and was clutch in the final drive. But the Most Valuable Player tonight on either team? Gotta be Warner. I know that it's only been done once before, but I would have done it tonight. JMO
No way. It could have gone to either Holmes or Ben but not Warner. It should only go to a player on a losing team if there isn't a player on the winning team worthy of it.

This seems to be a stat driven award. I actually think Ben should have gotten the MVP. But Holmes was right there. Made some clutch catches, including one that was taken away by the holding penalty in the endzone.

No way. It could have gone to either Holmes or Ben but not Warner. It should only go to a player on a losing team if there isn't a player on the winning team worthy of it.
Why? What if a player on the losing team has a better performance than any player on the winning team? This is what happened tonight. Isn't this supposed to be an individual reward? Why must it go to a player from the winning team?

He lost the game on the last play of the first half, he doesn't deserve the MVP for that. Should have been Harrison.
His performance in the rest of the game far outweigh that one bad throw, IMO.
Honestly if Harrison wouldn't have lost his cool on that punt he would have been MVP IMO. I have no issue with Holmes but the Harrison INT was the most important play of that game.

Why? What if a player on the losing team has a better performance than any player on the winning team? This is what happened tonight. Isn't this supposed to be an individual reward? Why must it go to a player from the winning team?
Your argument has merit but the other side is that it's not the "best player" award it's the "most valuable player" award and if you didn't get your team over the top to the win, you just weren't valuable enough despite how well you played.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that winning the game was the most important thing. Are you denying that Ben and Holmes had great games?

I always thought that winning the game was the most important thing. Are you denying that Ben and Holmes had great games?
One great drive does not equal a great game.

Fair enough. But I would say that Ben and Holmes both played very good games. Warner did as well.

Ben had a very good game.Holmes had a great game.Warner had a great game.But because Warner is a QB, his great game means more than Holmes' great game or Harrison's great game. Therefore, Warner should be the MVP. The only reason Warner is not the MVP is because his team lost. To me, this is not a convincing argument.

Fair enough. But I would say that Ben and Holmes both played very good games. Warner did as well.
Am i the only one who thinks Harrison should have won? I have no issue with Holmes but i really think Harrison was the MVP.

Am i the only one who thinks Harrison should have won? I have no issue with Holmes but i really think Harrison was the MVP.
Harrison's play was the biggest play, but Ben and Santonio did more throughout the whole game.

I think you could definitely make a case for Harrison. Holmes and Ben were so clutch on that last drive that it pretty much overshadowed the rest of the game.

I think you could definitely make a case for Harrison. Holmes and Ben were so clutch on that last drive that it pretty much overshadowed the rest of the game.
The Holmes catch was one of the top ten clutch plays in SB history IMO so I have no problem with him winning. I was sure he was out at first...ouch.

Had the Steelers never relinquished the lead, I would have given the MVP award to Harrison, but once the Steelers defense blew the big lead, he was out of the running, for me, anyway.

I had no problem with Holmes winning it, but I thought either Roethlisberger or Warner would have been worthy choices, as well.

WTF?

Darnell Dockett was easily the best player in the game, so if they're gonna give it to the losing team it's him, not Dunk-It-Down Warner.

The Holmes catch was one of the top ten clutch plays in SB history IMO so I have no problem with him winning. I was sure he was out at first...ouch.
But then he does a stupid endzone celebration and costs his team 15 yar... oh wait.

It's only happened once in SB history. Chuck Howley won the MVP for Dallas in a SB V loss to the Colts 16-13.

Yes, if Warner hadn't thrown it right to Harrison Arizona may have won the game. Warner and Holmes should have split the award. Pittsburgh needed both of them to win.

When they lined up just prior to halftime I told my wife here comes a fade route to Fitz. No one has been able to stop it this post season. Instead he throws it into traffic. 14 point swing. But Warner did play well other than that play.

Ben was better than Warner in the 4th IMO

If the Steelers did not drive for the winning score at the end, something Warner could not influence, Warner's performance would be talked about as possibly the best ever for a Super Bowl QB, given the numbers and the comeback (ETA: and the quality of the Steelers defense). Given that, I think it would have been reasonable for him to win or share the award. But I also think winning the game should and does count for a lot. I do think Holmes was more deserving than Ben and Harrison.

Cards: Warner, Dockett, Fitz

Steelers: Roeth, Harrison, Holmes

All deserving candidates, IMHO. Therefore, the winning team gets the award. That's just the way it works.

Yes, he did throw that catastrophic interception, but that was almost his only bad pass in the game.
your eyes apparently almost work :confused: but seriously lol @ Warner MVP Holmes was deserving - I personally think Harrison was moreso but to be honest no one person to me was far and away the easy choice.

I don't get all the love for the Holmes catch. It was a corner route. You see 900 of them every season. Clutch catch for sure, but hardly the best catch in the history of the universe.

If it wasn't for his 2 turnovers that were basically the turning points of the game, I'd consider it.

Am i the only one who thinks Harrison should have won?
No.Roethlisberger had one amazing drive, but a pedestrian game overall. Harrison's play was a 10-14 point swing. Changed everything.
Pedestrian? Seriously?People spend too much time looking at the stats instead of watching the play on the field. I guess that's the result of the fantasy football craze.
I have no idea what his stats were. PIT offense didn't do anything between the opening drive and the final drive that wasn't completely reliant on (mostly) ridiculous penalties on the Cardinals. :confused: Great final drive, but yeah other than that, pedestrian.

Doctor Detroit said:
fred_1_15301 said:
Doctor Detroit said:
fred_1_15301 said:
timschochet said:
fred_1_15301 said:
timschochet said:
What would make you think Harrison was more valuable than Big Ben or Holmes? Sure Harrison had the 100 yard TD, but his team was losing despite that play. If not for the TD by Holmes, Harrison's TD would have been meaningless.Also, let's not forget that Harrison was part of a defense that fell asleep in the fourth quarter and allowed Arizona to climb back into the game. Not exactly MVP-worthy IMO.I agree on an individual basis alone Warner was the most valuable. But as for the MVP from the winning team, Harrison is at least third on that depth chart as far as I'm concerned.

Doctor Detroit said:
Nope. It was Ben or Harrison for me, and I would've voted Harrison.In addition to the TD the holding calls against Gandy figure into the mix for sure.In fact, Woodley might have been #3 on my list with Holmes #4.They were all deserving in their own respects though.If your team loses you are not MVP. There is no further discussion after that one fact.

Doctor Detroit said:
fred_1_15301 said:
Doctor Detroit said:
fred_1_15301 said:
timschochet said:
fred_1_15301 said:
timschochet said:
In the 4th quarter with the game on the line, I've never seen a quarterback as good as Warner was tonight. Time and again with a guy right in his face, he made one perfect pass after another. 377 yards, 3 touchdowns. Yes, he did throw that catastrophic interception, but that was almost his only bad pass in the game.

Holmes had a very good game and was clutch in the final drive. But the Most Valuable Player tonight on either team? Gotta be Warner. I know that it's only been done once before, but I would have done it tonight. JMO
What would make you think Harrison was more valuable than Big Ben or Holmes? Sure Harrison had the 100 yard TD, but his team was losing despite that play. If not for the TD by Holmes, Harrison's TD would have been meaningless.Also, let's not forget that Harrison was part of a defense that fell asleep in the fourth quarter and allowed Arizona to climb back into the game. Not exactly MVP-worthy IMO.

I agree on an individual basis alone Warner was the most valuable. But as for the MVP from the winning team, Harrison is at least third on that depth chart as far as I'm concerned.
WORST ARGUEMENT EVER!!!!! I seriously thought you were going to say you were kidding after that. If Harrison doesnt score that TD Holmes TD is irrelevant. If Josh Reed misses both field goals then they were both irrelevant. If Mr. and Mrs Rothlisburger had a girl instead of ben, then the game woudlnt of happened...blah blah blah...you can come up with all the stupid scenarios you want, but the game happened how it happened and everything that happened in the game was relevant. Do people not think before they post stuff like this?

IMO, the only 2 guys deserving of MVP last night were Holmes and Harrison.

Let's not forget Big Ben threw a bad pick in the first half, and he didn't get into the endzone of the first drive at the goalline, so they had to settle for a fg. That eliminates him when you look at how dominant Holmes performance was.

Harrison did a lot more than the 100 yard int return. By my count he forced 3 holding penalties on Gandy which I haven't seen anyone mention. I agree with the others who contend that the personal foul and the Steelers blowing the lead probably cost him the award.

I'm just happy Santonio won it. Paid 15 - 1. :unsure:

Warner commanded the loss with his turn overs. He lost the game. Period.

The fact that Lamar Woodley is in consideration is a credit to Harrison and vice versa.

The Holmes catch was beautiful by him, a nice throw by Ben, and a few inch poor DB judgement.

Most of Arizona met or exceeded my expectations, except Warner and offensive tackling. LVP.

Harrison, Holmes or Ben were game changers and fine MVP candidates.

R.E. Harrison; any guy who commits a penalty that dumb in a game whose outcome is still in doubt should immediately have his ballot thrown in the round file.

Users who are viewing this thread