What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm sick of Cam Newton and he isn't even in the NFL yet (1 Viewer)

GridironMenace

Footballguy
All the guys on NFL Network are all over Newton's 'Tom & Jerry's', so much so that it reminds me of Brett Favre love. Watching Cam Newton make terrible pass after terrible pass and listen to Faulk, Sharpe and Mayock suck his lollipop is driving me crazy. Newton isn't even close but they love it. Newton is throwing the ball 5 feet over guys heads. Then afterwards, they get Newton on the tv set and Newton blames the receivers by saying that he isn't used to playing with guys from the MAC, the WAC and the PAC. Basically he is saying that he is throwing to lesser talent and therefore it was their fault his accuracy sucked. The blame game is starting.

Cam Newton will be more Vince Young than Michael Vick.

I'm sick of this guy already.

If this guy is thrown to the wolves he will fail, bank on it. However, if he can play behind someone for at least 3 or 4 years and learns something about the QB position, then he has a shot.

I want to see what his wonderlick score is. If he knocks that out of the park I would invest in him but if he bombs it, no way I would spend a roster spot on him.

No worries. He is not nor will he ever be a good nfl quarterback. Fool's gold. This happens every year, but people keep insisting on ignoring all the key ingredients to qbs failing at this level. If he had stronger character, he could overcome his lack of preparation at the pro level. For now people are gushing over his arm and mobility. Big deal. we know of several guys just in the past couple years who profited from the same skill set and we know how those teams were set back by not evaluating more than that.

Cam homers...enjoy your day in the sun.

I'm of the same mind. What's most disgusting is that I saw about 100 tweets from "pundits" and "analysts" today about Cam Newton's 40-time and his canned interview and his standing vertical, and yet it was EERILY QUIET when he -- you know -- actually had to throw the football and completed a modest 11 of 21 including missing some timing routes that should be second nature for a guy of his "stature."

And yet you didn't hear anything when he threw to the inside shoulder (unlike the other QB's where they'd bark they should be going to the outside shoulder).

It was disgusting. I think Mayock threw him for a loop with his question at the end. While Mayock let him off the hook by responding 'good answer', I'd have loved to know what he really thought of it. It was a terrible self-absorbed response by Cam that wouldn't fly with NFL teams.

I couldn't agree more. I am sick and tired of the cameras following Newton all workout long, even when other prospects are going through drills. I guess the media needs their larger than life figure to focus on leading up to the draft, but the coverage of Newton is bordering on ridiculous. As a Panthers fan, I'm leaning more and more away from picking him.

I couldn't agree more. I am sick and tired of the cameras following Newton all workout long, even when other prospects are going through drills. I guess the media needs their larger than life figure to focus on leading up to the draft, but the coverage of Newton is bordering on ridiculous. As a Panthers fan, I'm leaning more and more away from picking him.
Are they going to let the fans make the picks this year? :lmao: He's a strong physical athlete with some nice intangibles, but he's not ready for the NFL yet. You can't pick a project QB first overall can you?

I'm of the same mind. What's most disgusting is that I saw about 100 tweets from "pundits" and "analysts" today about Cam Newton's 40-time and his canned interview and his standing vertical, and yet it was EERILY QUIET when he -- you know -- actually had to throw the football and completed a modest 11 of 21 including missing some timing routes that should be second nature for a guy of his "stature."
I'm not sure what his "stature" has to do with his experience. The truth to the matter is that many of the throws Newton was doing today he has had very limited experience making. He is a project that is going to need a lot of work. If Tebow can go in the 1st round though, so can Newton. Most would say he has more natural ability than a guy like Tebow and even less experience.

I'm not sure what his "stature" has to do with his experience. The truth to the matter is that many of the throws Newton was doing today he has had very limited experience making. He is a project that is going to need a lot of work. If Tebow can go in the 1st round though, so can Newton. Most would say he has more natural ability than a guy like Tebow and even less experience.
Perhaps stature was a poor choice of words, I meant to imply that someone that the talking heads are touting as a possible 1st overall pick should be able to make those throws in his sleep. While Combine throws shouldn't matter much versus the film study obviously, they should matter a hell of a lot more than whether he was charming in an canned presser or whether he's fast. We knew he was a great athlete already.

Am I the only one that thought 11 of 21 seemed high? 7 or 8 would be my guess.

The kid is so arrogant. I can only imagine what the NFL veterans do to him or make him do. Did anyone else catch how he was standing sorta posed for the camera and Eisen had to walk over and tell him to sit down? He was loving the camera that much, really?

I am still extremely annoyed that NFLN producers/execs felt that 5-10 minutes with Cam was better than seeing the RBs run. Do we not talk about 40 times ad nauseum for the other 364 days of the year? I know they were beaten up for it all over twitter, but seriously they show us the Ps and Ks a bit, we saw the OL run the 40 as if that needs to be seen and the QBs long jump as if that really matters and finally running backs running ooh let's interview Cam.

I loved the tweet "Let's see what he does when Jim Rome calls him Fig a few times." still cracks me up Chrissy Everett

Why? Where's Favre going?

This Newton clown is going to flop worse than Vince Young. At least no one is trying to defend this turd. It was always irritating when people called Vince Young a winner. If he was a winner, what was Dilfer?...who by the way raved about this clown's workout. Some team will have to take this guy knowing they will never have a chance at a superbowl. Someone on camera (Mayock) finally said that you can't win the Super Bowl without a dominant defense or a stud QB. Dominant defenses being even more of a rarity. Take a bum QB like Newton, cross yourself off the list.

first off, I nor anyone on this board gets paid to analyze QB 's on behalf of NFL teams. Having said that, this thread appears to be full of people who are simply looking for anything to knock Newton off of his pedestal.

3 points:

1.) he was second in the nation in passing efficiency without a single WR on Auburn who will play at the next level. Accuracy in combine drills matters much less than actual game accuracy.

2.) At least he threw. Most QB's with his draft grade are too afraid to throw to wr's they've never even met before.

3.) Perhaps he's confident in his abilities (arrogant) due to the fact that he has been on 4 consecutive Championship teams (state and 3 national titles) and recently won the Heisman for totaling 49 total TD's while playing in the SEC.

I loved to pile on Terrell Owens while he was dominating opposing cornerbacks for ten straight years too!

Bottom line is Newton is highly marketable, extremely gifted athletically, a winner, and his teammates absolutely love him. He may bust, but calling it so emphatically because he was only 50% accurate in the throwing drills at the combine is hilarious.

first off, I nor anyone on this board gets paid to analyze QB 's on behalf of NFL teams. Having said that, this thread appears to be full of people who are simply looking for anything to knock Newton off of his pedestal.

3 points:

1.) he was second in the nation in passing efficiency without a single WR on Auburn who will play at the next level. Accuracy in combine drills matters much less than actual game accuracy.

2.) At least he threw. Most QB's with his draft grade are too afraid to throw to wr's they've never even met before.

3.) Perhaps he's confident in his abilities (arrogant) due to the fact that he has been on 4 consecutive Championship teams (state and 3 national titles) and recently won the Heisman for totaling 49 total TD's while playing in the SEC.

I loved to pile on Terrell Owens while he was dominating opposing cornerbacks for ten straight years too!

Bottom line is Newton is highly marketable, extremely gifted athletically, a winner, and his teammates absolutely love him. He may bust, but calling it so emphatically because he was only 50% accurate in the throwing drills at the combine is hilarious.
Get real. His underwhelming--if not bad--combine is only the tip of the iceberg of concerns that have followed him for years.

Are they going to let the fans make the picks this year? :goodposting: He's a strong physical athlete with some nice intangibles, but he's not ready for the NFL yet. You can't pick a project QB first overall can you?
You can if you are the Raiders.

What concerns have followed him for years?

His mechanics are excellent.

He's not ready to step in year 1, but I think you'll see that many teams will be willing to attempt to developed him.

I really don't care if you hate him, I just think it's funny to see everyone pile on a guy who is clearly going to be drafted in Rd 1 based on absolutely nothing. BTW, I'm tired of his pub too, but it doesn't change the player. I'm tired of Big Ben raping chicks but it didn't stop his on the field performance.

'cobalt_27 said:
'footballsavvy said:

3 points:

Get real. His underwhelming--if not bad--combine is only the tip of the iceberg of concerns that have followed him for years.

What concerns have followed him for years?
Oh, I don't know. Stuff about his character, maturity, not to mention the fact that he operated in a spread offense that didn't force him to make many pre-snap reads. Someone will take him in the first round. Just as teams took Jamarcus, VY, Tebow, Quinn, Leinart, Alex Smith, Campbell, JP Losman, etc., etc., etc.He'll bust. Just wait.

CBS Sports' Rob Rang reports that Auburn QB Cam Newton drew poor grades for "football character" from at least two teams during interviews at the Scouting Combine.

He reportedly "struggled answering football questions," and "had a difficult time drawing up plays ... on the white board." Newton doesn't come off as lacking in smarts, and it's not surprising that he might struggle with pro concepts after playing in Auburn's option offense. Details are murky, but it's possible this is a rumor spread by NFL teams to sabotage Newton's stock.

"Oh, I don't know. Stuff about his character, maturity, not to mention the fact that he operated in a spread offense that didn't force him to make many pre-snap reads. Someone will take him in the first round. Just as teams took Jamarcus, VY, Tebow, Quinn, Leinart, Alex Smith, Campbell, JP Losman, etc., etc., etc."

Nice Cherry picking of some prominent first round busts. One problem with your list is that 2 of them are still starters in the NFL. Maybe not Fantasy Studs, but starters.

The reality is that the majority of 1st round QB's do not bust. This is because NFL teams actually pay people who are skilled to evaluate talent and make recommendations on who they should select when.

Here is a list for you! It is current NFL starters selected in the first round:

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Matt Stafford, Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez, Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman, Donnovan McNabb, Jason Campbell, and Tim Tebow.

Over half the league starts a signal caller selected in the first round. I am aware of the Ryan Leaf's, Joey Harrington's, David Carr's, and Akili Smith's as well. My only point is that based on the data, there is nothing about Newton except for his off the field issues at U of F that would be a red flag as a bust candidate. Russell was an easy call. He never won anything and regularly choked in big games. Jason Campbell was a shock 1st round pick and was not hyped at all leading up to the draft. Vince Young won 20+ games as a starter and I believe has mental issues. (Hardly a bust).

I understand why everyone is tired of the Cam show, but if he busts, it won't be for reasons anyone posting on this thread could ascertain by "breaking him down on film". In fact, there was a very well written analysis done of him by Chris Kouffman with www.universaldraft.com.

Here is the link:

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo.html

Of course, those of you who have already determined Newton has zero potential after watching him throw yesterday will quickly dismiss this 10 page article as thrown together and biased reporting!!! After all, did I not see that he only went 8-17 in his throwing drills???

"Oh, I don't know. Stuff about his character, maturity, not to mention the fact that he operated in a spread offense that didn't force him to make many pre-snap reads. Someone will take him in the first round. Just as teams took Jamarcus, VY, Tebow, Quinn, Leinart, Alex Smith, Campbell, JP Losman, etc., etc., etc."

Nice Cherry picking of some prominent first round busts. One problem with your list is that 2 of them are still starters in the NFL. Maybe not Fantasy Studs, but starters.

The reality is that the majority of 1st round QB's do not bust. This is because NFL teams actually pay people who are skilled to evaluate talent and make recommendations on who they should select when.

Here is a list for you! It is current NFL starters selected in the first round:

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Matt Stafford, Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez, Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman, Donnovan McNabb, Jason Campbell, and Tim Tebow.

Over half the league starts a signal caller selected in the first round. I am aware of the Ryan Leaf's, Joey Harrington's, David Carr's, and Akili Smith's as well. My only point is that based on the data, there is nothing about Newton except for his off the field issues at U of F that would be a red flag as a bust candidate. Russell was an easy call. He never won anything and regularly choked in big games. Jason Campbell was a shock 1st round pick and was not hyped at all leading up to the draft. Vince Young won 20+ games as a starter and I believe has mental issues. (Hardly a bust).

I understand why everyone is tired of the Cam show, but if he busts, it won't be for reasons anyone posting on this thread could ascertain by "breaking him down on film". In fact, there was a very well written analysis done of him by Chris Kouffman with www.universaldraft.com.

Here is the link:

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo.html

Of course, those of you who have already determined Newton has zero potential after watching him throw yesterday will quickly dismiss this 10 page article as thrown together and biased reporting!!! After all, did I not see that he only went 8-17 in his throwing drills???
:wall:

Somebody just got owned.

CBS Sports' Rob Rang reports that Auburn QB Cam Newton drew poor grades for "football character" from at least two teams during interviews at the Scouting Combine.He reportedly "struggled answering football questions," and "had a difficult time drawing up plays ... on the white board." Newton doesn't come off as lacking in smarts, and it's not surprising that he might struggle with pro concepts after playing in Auburn's option offense. Details are murky, but it's possible this is a rumor spread by NFL teams to sabotage Newton's stock.
This is the first piece of news that actually would concern me were I in charge of a team with a high draft pick.

Hypothetical question:

If proof emerges between now and Draft Day that Cam did in fact know that his dad was asking for money....does that affect him at all?

I assume most NFL people think he did and he's lying about it....so it wouldn't affect him much....but is that the case?

If Newt is allowed to sit his first year or two and learn the pro game he has a good chance to succeed. If he starts right away it will be tough for him.

CBS Sports' Rob Rang reports that Auburn QB Cam Newton drew poor grades for "football character" from at least two teams during interviews at the Scouting Combine.He reportedly "struggled answering football questions," and "had a difficult time drawing up plays ... on the white board." Newton doesn't come off as lacking in smarts, and it's not surprising that he might struggle with pro concepts after playing in Auburn's option offense. Details are murky, but it's possible this is a rumor spread by NFL teams to sabotage Newton's stock.
On the other hand, if I'm SF, Houston, Miami, I am talking this guy up as if he is the next superstar QB in the hopes that Arizona, Tennessee, Buffalo takes him ahead of me. Who wouldn't want to face this guy twice a year?

He's a great looking guy, with a pretty smile, with tremendous athleticism.....he appears to be billboard guy for a struggling franchise. 6'5", and a strong arm, and he can move ....scratch that, glide down the field.

Yet, i would have to let some other team find out if he is a franchise QB or not. Especially if the contract demands 50 Mil guaranteed. That could set the franchise back many years. Who knows if there will be a rookie cap or not, but still, with the impact players in this draft, I'd have to take the sure thing. Dareus, AJ, Julio, etc...

-stolen Laptop issue

-Cheating at Florida twice, and leaving before he was kicked out

-Not knowing his father shopped him around like a Pimp??? Come on now.....

-icon and entertainer?

Bad things seem to follow this kid around. And he leaves trouble behind.... Just too many character concerns.

He's more Arsenio Hall than an NFL QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
'domvin said:
He's a great looking guy, with a pretty smile, with tremendous athleticism.....he appears to be billboard guy for a struggling franchise. 6'5", and a strong arm, and he can move ....scratch that, glide down the field.Yet, i would have to let some other team find out if he is a franchise QB or not. Especially if the contract demands 50 Mil guaranteed. That could set the franchise back many years. Who knows if there will be a rookie cap or not, but still, with the impact players in this draft, I'd have to take the sure thing. Dareus, AJ, Julio, etc...-stolen Laptop issue-Cheating at Florida twice, and leaving before he was kicked out-Not knowing his father shopped him around like a Pimp??? Come on now.....-icon and entertainer?Bad things seem to follow this kid around. And he leaves trouble behind.... Just too many character concerns.He's more Arsenio Hall than an NFL QB.
The stolen laptop would be a huge concern, but those other things would not be, for me, at least.The cheating and getting paid don't bother me at all because I assume most good college athletes at big programs cheat and get paid. I'm not interested in whether or not Cam Newton got paid or whether or not he knew his father was pimping him out. The only thing that interests me about that whole fiasco is that, in a time when this kid was facing as much scrutiny as any college athlete ever, he led his team to a National Championship. Still not sure what I think about Newton, but he certainly gets points for that. Also love that he at least had the stones to throw at the combine (that overshadows the boneheaded icon statement, imo). Not sure what you mean by the Arsenio Hall comment. Did Arsenio win a National Title?

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest Cam Newton profile is up herehttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=61119&draftyear=1999&genpos=QB
Not sure I see them as very similar, other than they're both black and likely to be high draft picks.In all seriousness, Smith was a two-year starter (versus Newton at one), was far more prolific as a passer (over 300 yards per game as a senior) but not as efficient.

I agree with the Cam anti-hype machine. He’s pretty inaccurate, and you could see that even in the National Championship game. It’s laughable that the NFL and ESPN talking heads all talk about his 40 time. But, in the NFL, the game is much quicker and if he can’t get the ball in a tight box in the college game, he is going to struggle mightily. Add that he ran about 19 times a game last season. He took a short scan of the field and took off with the ball instead of waiting for plays to develop. What NFL team wants their starting QB to run 19 times a game? If Newton’s inherent value is his legs and 40 time, he won’t last long (either injury of coaches decision). Whoever takes this project in the first round is going to have a high pick in 2012.

Is there anything I am missing here. Most tend to agree he will be the suck. Any Cam lovers out there?

Users who are viewing this thread