What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm starting Johnathan Dwyer over_________ (1 Viewer)

This is the lightest Ive ever been in the off-season, Dwyer said. I took a disciplinary action on myself. I know what I can do as a player when Im in the best shape I can be. I know if I am I can get up into that next level as potentially one of the best in the league. So thats pretty much where Im trying to get to.

Dwyers weight is back down to 245, and he said hes on pace to get down to 230, or as low as I possibly can by the opener.

That would be his lightest weight since 2009 at Georgia Tech, but he said hes not motivated by coaches or the drafting of LeVeon Bell in the second round.

I motivated myself, Dwyer said. I made that decision back when the season was over. I started training a little earlier than I usually do. I made sure I was on my diet and getting a chef and really getting into nutrition and learning how I can help myself.http://pit.scout.com/2/1293811.html

Dwyer's job to lose. Just traded him for peanuts too :(
You will enjoy those peanuts more than you would have enjoyed Dwyer.
Those peanuts ain't making it past Dwyer's pie hole, that's for sure.

Dwyer...

Plodder? Check

Overweight? Check

Poor blocker? Check

Fumbling issues? Check

Doesn't play teams? Check

Premium pick spent on a rookie at his position? Check

Clearly, "Starting RB Pittsburgh" is his job to lose.

The guy is going to be lucky if he makes the team. He and Redman fill the same role(e.g. "plodding SY guy"), except Redman can block, wasn't reportedly being shopped after Bell was drafted(as Dwyer was) and isn't apparently motivated only by french fries.

The Steelers would add 1.3 million back to their salary cap if they jerk the tender to either Redman or Dwyer, so one of those guys isn't going to be kept. My money's on Dwyer being that guy.
did you read the article? It was the headline....Sounds to me like a dude with his balls to the fire. He knows the rep he has and is trying to do something about it. Sounds like he took most of the 1st team reps as well. I'm a Bell fan, but I covered my bases in the league I have Bell with Dwyer and Redman

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Bell fan, but I covered my bases in the league I have Bell with Dwyer and Redman
Jeebus - did Shanny take over in Pittsburgh? Or do you have like 84 roster slots in your league?

You realize that if you had cornered the market on Steeler RBs last season, you would have had 3 wasted roster spots then too?

Run away. Run very far away. This is not the pile of #### you're looking for.

I'm a Bell fan, but I covered my bases in the league I have Bell with Dwyer and Redman
Jeebus - did Shanny take over in Pittsburgh? Or do you have like 84 roster slots in your league?

You realize that if you had cornered the market on Steeler RBs last season, you would have had 3 wasted roster spots then too?

No really if you had started each during the weeks that they were expected to start for Pitt. I have one league where I have all 3 as well - 25 roster spots (plus 2 IR slots), it's not that difficult and one of them (Redman or Dwyer) could be dropped once the season shakes out.

I also have Dwyer in two leagues where I don't have the other two backs, so I like the fact that he's been given the starting nod at this point at least. It could just be deference to the veteran and a case of making the rookie earn it, but Dwyer may just take the ball and run with it.

DoubleG said:
loose circuits said:

I play in 3 leagues with 12 X 30 man rosters with 35, 35, and 38 before in-season cut down. All Dwyer/Redman owned in all of them. I'd be willing to bet they are owned in most decent size dynasty league. If Dwyer truly is motivated to get in shape, he has as much talent as most RB's so he's worth it considering he's in contract year and only turns 24 in July

loose circuits said:
did you read the article? It was the headline....Sounds to me like a dude with his balls to the fire. He knows the rep he has and is trying to do something about it. Sounds like he took most of the 1st team reps as well. I'm a Bell fan, but I covered my bases in the league I have Bell with Dwyer and Redman
I absolutely read the article.

Dwyer "showed up in the best shape of his life" last year to camp too. Had dropped some weight, said he wanted to grab the starting spot, knew he had to show he got it/etc etc. We all know what happened.

I will continue to believe he has a better shot of being cut than he does of being "RB1 Pittsburgh" come the start of the year. He just isn't that good, or well rounded enough, for them to waste any more time on him.

DoubleG said:
loose circuits said:

I play in 3 leagues with 12 X 30 man rosters with 35, 35, and 38 before in-season cut down. All Dwyer/Redman owned in all of them. I'd be willing to bet they are owned in most decent size dynasty league. If Dwyer truly is motivated to get in shape, he has as much talent as most RB's so he's worth it considering he's in contract year and only turns 24 in July
So Dwyer is the 360th man in your league. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his abilities. I am in a few 12 team leagues with 20 man rosters, and every team has a few worthless players. Dwyer fits somewhere in that next crowd of the 120 players on the waiver wire.

Also, I wish I had a nickel for every time someone actually thought something a PLAYER SAYS actually matters in terms of his actual abilities.

DoubleG said:
loose circuits said:
Jeebus - did Shanny take over in Pittsburgh? Or do you have like 84 roster slots in your league? You realize that if you had cornered the market on Steeler RBs last season, you would have had 3 wasted roster spots then too? Run away. Run very far away. This is not the pile of #### you're looking for.
So Dwyer is the 360th man in your league. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his abilities. I am in a few 12 team leagues with 20 man rosters, and every team has a few worthless players. Dwyer fits somewhere in that next crowd of the 120 players on the waiver wire. Also, I wish I had a nickel for every time someone actually thought something a PLAYER SAYS actually matters in terms of his actual abilities.
the important part is that he is not in denial. He's not making a lot of money and had to understand if he wants to be more than fighting for a roster spot a year from now then he needs to get his act together. At 24 in July he's not much older than rookies this year. To write him off while he is this young is silly because he has shown glimpses of what he is capable of if he actually dedicates himself

DoubleG said:
loose circuits said:
Jeebus - did Shanny take over in Pittsburgh? Or do you have like 84 roster slots in your league? You realize that if you had cornered the market on Steeler RBs last season, you would have had 3 wasted roster spots then too? Run away. Run very far away. This is not the pile of #### you're looking for.
So Dwyer is the 360th man in your league. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his abilities. I am in a few 12 team leagues with 20 man rosters, and every team has a few worthless players. Dwyer fits somewhere in that next crowd of the 120 players on the waiver wire. Also, I wish I had a nickel for every time someone actually thought something a PLAYER SAYS actually matters in terms of his actual abilities.
Yeah, all of those teams that held on to Foster after Tate was drafted in the 2nd were nuts also. What's wrong with taking a flyer on a guy? Cruz probably wasn't rostered in your leagues either, was he? Sometimes, those guys in the 21-30 roster spots pay off.

DoubleG said:
loose circuits said:
Yeah, all of those teams that held on to Foster after Tate was drafted in the 2nd were nuts also. What's wrong with taking a flyer on a guy? Cruz probably wasn't rostered in your leagues either, was he? Sometimes, those guys in the 21-30 roster spots pay off.
Do you want me to name the 5000000 players who continues to suck, or should I just go get Dwyer cause those guys ended up being good???

Dwyer sucks cause he sucks. I dont care if he was the only RB on the Steelers roster, I wouldnt want him or pay anything for him.

And Loose Circuits..............you just got me 5 more cents.

DoubleG said:
loose circuits said:

No really if you had started each during the weeks that they were expected to start for Pitt. I have one league where I have all 3 as well - 25 roster spots (plus 2 IR slots), it's not that difficult and one of them (Redman or Dwyer) could be dropped once the season shakes out.

I also have Dwyer in two leagues where I don't have the other two backs, so I like the fact that he's been given the starting nod at this point at least. It could just be deference to the veteran and a case of making the rookie earn it, but Dwyer may just take the ball and run with it.
There is nothing wrong with taking a flyer on Dwyer if you want but I caution anyone reading anything into who is "starting" in the OTAs. It means absolutely nothing.

There is nothing wrong with taking a flyer on Dwyer if you want but I caution anyone reading anything into who is "starting" in the OTAs. It means absolutely nothing.
Now that's not entirely true. "Starting" in OTAs means "has first chance to rupture achilles"... so it means something.

The Steelers obviously liked Bell better than any of the other backs in the draft and well enough to not double up as the Packers and Cardinals did.

They must think he's the answer to something. Now, like all other rookies on the Steelers, he's going to have to earn his snaps.

Waldman observes that he needs to improve his pass blocking in the pros. He'll have OTAs and TC to do that if he wants to start in the NFL.

Until he does that, Dwyer or Redman is going to get 1st team snaps regularly

The Steelers obviously liked Bell better than any of the other backs in the draft and well enough to not double up as the Packers and Cardinals did.
or they felt that they were deep enough...
Yeah with Redman. PLus they COULD still sign Bradshaw.

Pretty rare to see teams draft two RBs anyway, so the fact that the Steelers didnt doesnt exactly say they like Dwyer. Not drafting a 2nd RB doesn't say anything at all. Looking at Bradshaw, then signing Bell high says quite a bit.

Well, so does Dwyer game tape. Says all you need to know. Very Bleh

Where was any of the Dwyer was overweight during TC news while it was happening?

Actually hard to cut him because he's only 24 and could always sign elsewhere...

Watch out for Felix Jones. As long as Bell is out I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually gets the number 1 job or at least a lot of touches per game.

...and Dwyer is gone. Looks like Felix until Bell is back.
Put the pipe down. I think you meant Redman. Felix is a CoP at best.
First off, why do you always seem to enter (or return) to a thread being a complete jerkwad?

Second, Redman and Dwyer were and have been both equally bad. The only reason Dwyer got cut instead of Redman, imho, is that Dwyer has had a weight/motivation problem - but on the field, both have been less than mediocre.

Third, the only FF-viable RB on the Steelers roster is clearly Bell - and you have to wait a few weeks on him, so it really doesn't matter, as neither Felix nor Redman are more than RB4/5.

If memory serves, you were the same joker pounding Mendenhall when he was with the Steelers for his sub 4.0 YPC - while Redman had such a glowing 3.7 YPC last season. This isn't "Redman's chance" - it's him and Jones sharing time, keeping it warm for Bell. As I said, Redman stinks - Jones isn't much better. Bell is the only one who will be fantasy viable.

First off, why do you always seem to enter (or return) to a thread being a complete jerkwad?

Second, Redman and Dwyer were and have been both equally bad. The only reason Dwyer got cut instead of Redman, imho, is that Dwyer has had a weight/motivation problem - but on the field, both have been less than mediocre.

Third, the only FF-viable RB on the Steelers roster is clearly Bell - and you have to wait a few weeks on him, so it really doesn't matter, as neither Felix nor Redman are more than RB4/5.

If memory serves, you were the same joker pounding Mendenhall when he was with the Steelers for his sub 4.0 YPC - while Redman had such a glowing 3.7 YPC last season. This isn't "Redman's chance" - it's him and Jones sharing time, keeping it warm for Bell. As I said, Redman stinks - Jones isn't much better. Bell is the only one who will be fantasy viable.
Is that jerkwad? I was simply pointing out that what you said was based on nothing. I know you hate Redman and loved Mendenhall, but do you really hate Redman so much that you think Felix is the de facto starter despite Redman actually being NAMED the starter for week 1? I mean, why even post that? It makes no sense. It's just your bias showing through. Nothing has indicated that Felix is the man. Just a weird thing to post.

Whether you think Redman is bad or not, it's Redman until Bell returns. Doesn't really matter to me. I have neither. Just figured I'd spread some truth.

Is that jerkwad? I was simply pointing out that what you said was based on nothing. I know you hate Redman and loved Mendenhall, but do you really hate Redman so much that you think Felix is the de facto starter despite Redman actually being NAMED the starter for week 1? I mean, why even post that? It makes no sense. It's just your bias showing through. Nothing has indicated that Felix is the man. Just a weird thing to post.

Whether you think Redman is bad or not, it's Redman until Bell returns. Doesn't really matter to me. I have neither. Just figured I'd spread some truth.
I think you're going to see plenty of Jones and LSH in this mix. It's not Redman's show alone.

I think you're going to see plenty of Jones and LSH in this mix. It's not Redman's show alone.
This. Which makes all of them fairly useless from a FF perspective.

Per Joe's email this morning:

Pittsburgh Steelers RB Isaac Redman said he expects to start while RB Le'Veon Bell (foot) is out of the lineup. Redman said the coaches do not want to use a committee at running back, and he does not want to give them a reason to use a committee.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Redman is coming back from a pinched nerve that caused him to miss plenty of time in the preseason. Felix Jones is thought to be the starter at this time. Either way the team will use a RBBC with Redman, Jones and LaRod Stephens-Howling while rookie Le'Veon Bell (foot) is out.

(bold added to reflect the truth of the muddiness of the situation)

Imho, the addendum to Joe's final sentence should read :"....so stay the heck away from this pile of hot garbage until Bell returns and/or clarity is restored"

I dunno, am I the only one that thinks Redman could be a serviceable flex in deeper leagues this week? Felix is still learning the offense, PIT is playing TEN at home. Unless Redman is not truly healed from his Stinger, I could foresee 18-20 carries and a reception or two for 75 tot yards and a score.

I dunno, am I the only one that thinks Redman could be a serviceable flex in deeper leagues this week? Felix is still learning the offence, PIT is playing TEN at home. Unless Redman is not truly healed from his Stinger, I could foresee 18-20 carries and a reception or two for 75 tot yards and a score.
I am starting him one league... It's a long story. :shrug:

(Rotoworld)Steelers will re-sign RB Jonathan Dwyer.

Analysis: Dwyer returns to the team that cut him nine days ago out of desperation, not desire. During Sunday's embarrassing Week 1 loss to the Titans, starter Isaac Redman was benched for ineffectiveness and two botched exchanges. Backup LaRod Stephens-Howling blew out his knee and newly signed Felix Jones barely played after whiffing on a blitz pickup. Unless Le'Veon Bell (foot) can get back for Week 2, look for Dwyer to step right back in and share time with Redman against the Bengals next Monday night. If Bell can get cleared, the Steelers will lean heavily on the rookie right away.

:lol: I hope you can see the difference between what you said (red) and what you just said "this" to. Two totally different statements. Also funny is that Felix didn't even see a carry or target.

:lol: I hope you can see the difference between what you said (red) and what you just said "this" to. Two totally different statements. Also funny is that Felix didn't even see a carry or target.
Which one of them did you start? :popcorn:

I stand by statement that all are FF useless until L. Bell is back - and then he is, only if he is healthy.

I'm back on board. He's clearly their best option at this point regardless of his "passion". Jonathan "The Hair" Dwyer is back in business.

Which one of them did you start? :popcorn:

I stand by statement that all are FF useless until L. Bell is back - and then he is, only if he is healthy.
None. I don't have any of them. :shrug:

I just like to point out when people talk authoritatively on a subject that they know nothing about so they don't deceive others. Do you still stand by your statement that it looks like Felix until Bell is back?

Users who are viewing this thread