What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (8 Viewers)

Starting to lean towards sucking it up and paying up for either T. Higgins or B. Aiyuk. They need an anchor in this WR corp and they'll never find it cheap. Need to come to grips with the cost for WRs once and for all.

Just feels like everyone else who is available could end up being another JuJu or D. Parker. That is, mediocre to terrible.

Starting to lean towards sucking it up and paying up for either T. Higgins or B. Aiyuk. They need an anchor in this WR corp and they'll never find it cheap. Need to come to grips with the cost for WRs once and for all.

Just feels like everyone else who is available could end up being another JuJu or D. Parker. That is, mediocre to terrible.
I doubt Aiuk is going anywhere.

Higgins could likely be had, but it will be at absolutely top of the market. I doubt NEP wants to use that 1.03 on a WR.

I doubt their 2nd gets it done.

Higgins could likely be had, but it will be at absolutely top of the market. I doubt NEP wants to use that 1.03 on a WR.

I bet their 2nd gets it done but they also have to pay him 25 mil per year on top of that.

I bet their 2nd gets it done but they also have to pay him 25 mil per year on top of that.
Well they were fine with paying Ridley 22 M. What's another 3 M lol.

Yeh but they didn’t have to give up the 34th pick in addition for Ridley.

Unfortunately BB left them in a very bad spot…they have a giant hole at QB, WR and Tackle…pretty inexcusable…as far as WR there just weren’t the options in free agency you would have hoped for…Ridley was the only real good one and they swung and missed…just not sure how they can figure this out…at this point I think if they can get a quality rookie in the second and a solid veteran or two like a Curtis Samuel then hopefully they at least take a reasonably big step forward from last year which shouldn’t be too difficult.

Unfortunately BB left them in a very bad spot…they have a giant hole at QB, WR and Tackle…pretty inexcusable…as far as WR there just weren’t the options in free agency you would have hoped for…Ridley was the only real good one and they swung and missed…just not sure how they can figure this out…at this point I think if they can get a quality rookie in the second and a solid veteran or two like a Curtis Samuel then hopefully they at least take a reasonably big step forward from last year which shouldn’t be too difficult. We need to.
There are a lot of guys that can be short term help at WR. Renfrow, Samuel, Williams - none of those dudes will break the bank, all are effective veterans who can bridge the gap to 2025 or 2026.

There’s no quick fix for this roster, as you suggest. But there is a nice list of bandaids out there to be had on 1-2 year deals.

Pats draft a QB at 3, start Brissett for a year, keep building off the likely 4-13 season.

Unfortunately BB left them in a very bad spot…they have a giant hole at QB, WR and Tackle…pretty inexcusable…as far as WR there just weren’t the options in free agency you would have hoped for…Ridley was the only real good one and they swung and missed…just not sure how they can figure this out…at this point I think if they can get a quality rookie in the second and a solid veteran or two like a Curtis Samuel then hopefully they at least take a reasonably big step forward from last year which shouldn’t be too difficult. We need to.
There are a lot of guys that can be short term help at WR. Renfrow, Samuel, Williams - none of those dudes will break the bank, all are effective veterans who can bridge the gap to 2025 or 2026.

There’s no quick fix for this roster, as you suggest. But there is a nice list of bandaids out there to be had on 1-2 year deals.

Pats draft a QB at 3, start Brissett for a year, keep building off the likely 5-12 season.
Yeah, this is a multi-year build. No point in spending a ton, especially draft capital, on short term fixes. This team roster is pure garbage.

Well I am glad they didn’t spend 4/92 with 50 guaranteed on Calvin Ridley
I had started to post something similar. Ridley doesn't strike me as a top tier WR that can change games on his own. His one big year, he had a HOF caliber QB in Ryan and had Jones and Gage as running mates (and played 11 games in domes). With the Pats, he would automatically draw the opponent's best cover guy or would be double teamed all game. He doesn't strike me as a guy that can overcome that. Add in the price tag, and I am perfectly fine looking for alternative solutions . . . even if that means waiting. I would rather try to find someone that would fit the bill rather than settling for the best remaining option left in free agency (but paying him as a Top 10 guy).

As things stand now, they are right back where they started from . . . they need at least one OT (potentially two if Onwenu plays his preferred spot of guard), at least one (probably two) WR, and a QB of the future. Even though the defense was light years ahead of the offense, it remains to be seen if the BB brain trust was the reason for that . . . meaning that I could easily see the defense taking a step back without Bill (even if they have mostly the same guys or get a couple of new pieces).

Looking at the state of things today, if the over / under was set at the 4 wins they had last year, I would take the under. Long way to go until opening day, but as of now, they are worse IMO. And the scuttlebutt last week was that JuJu would be cut and he hasn't been. If that means that he is still in their plans, that can't possibly be viewed as a good thing.

Last edited:

Pats draft a QB at 3, start Brissett for a year, keep building off the likely 5-12 season.

Yup…that is most likely the path…this roster was a disaster and the path back won’t be easy.

It's tricky because you want to get your new young QB (whoever that ends up being) a reliable weapon at WR, so they're not in the same situation that Mac was in. But there are so many holes to be patched up that it would be reckless to put too much financial resources into one player. If this Patriots roster was a Tee Higgins away from contending for the division crown I could see it. But that's far from the case. The focus needs to be on finding the next core of Patriots players to lead the franchise into the new era. I'd still take MHJ at 1.03 because I think the alternative is Daniels and I'm not sold on him whereas I'm fairly confident MHJ will be a stud in the NFL (wouldn't expect a Ja'Marr Chase like rookie season for him but beyond he should be awesome). I could see the arguments for just taking a WR with the 34th overall pick instead, but that might be a Ladd McConkey who I don't anticipate being anywhere as good as Harrison. All I can say is there's lots of holes to be filled on the roster and I'd be shocked if they were all solved in one offseason. This is going to take some time.

Besides being a good WR that was the biggest benefit to Ridley…you don’t have to use a pick or trade for him (he also could not have picked a better year to be a FA from a supply and demand angle)…I think many aren’t looking at the pursuit of Ridley the right way…I don’t think anyone thinks he is a legit alpha and there is no doubt he was going to be overpaid but the Pats are in a great spot the next two years with the cap so they could go a little further then they would have liked although I don ‘t think we thought Ridley would get what he actually did…he is not the missing piece to becoming a legit contender…what he would have done is given them a high quality WR that would have vastly upgraded a monster position of need that has a huge influence on the development of their soon to be young QB and allowed them to have more draft flexibility…that would have been a big time asset as to where the franchise currently is.

Besides being a good WR that was the biggest benefit to Ridley…you don’t have to use a pick or trade for him and he also could not have picked a better year to be a FA from a supply and demand angle…I think many aren’t looking at the pursuit of Ridley the right way…I don’t think anyone thinks he is a legit alpha and there is no doubt he was going to be overpaid but the Pats are in a great spot the next two years with the cap so they could go a little further then they would have liked although I don ‘t think we thought Ridley would get what he actually did…he is not the missing piece to becoming a legit contender…what he would have done is given them a high quality WR that would have vastly upgraded a monster position of need that has a huge influence on the development of their soon to be young QB and allowed them to have more draft flexibility…that would have been a big time asset as to where the franchise currently is.
He’s definitely an upgrade but at 30 years old by the end of this season, is he really going to help this team? Plus he has the other concerns added in, I’m not going to harp on his mental health but it’s there and the gambling thing. I guess that is the going rate for a WR though.

Besides being a good WR that was the biggest benefit to Ridley…you don’t have to use a pick or trade for him and he also could not have picked a better year to be a FA from a supply and demand angle…I think many aren’t looking at the pursuit of Ridley the right way…I don’t think anyone thinks he is a legit alpha and there is no doubt he was going to be overpaid but the Pats are in a great spot the next two years with the cap so they could go a little further then they would have liked although I don ‘t think we thought Ridley would get what he actually did…he is not the missing piece to becoming a legit contender…what he would have done is given them a high quality WR that would have vastly upgraded a monster position of need that has a huge influence on the development of their soon to be young QB and allowed them to have more draft flexibility…that would have been a big time asset as to where the franchise currently is.
He’s definitely an upgrade but at 30 years old by the end of this season, is he really going to help this team? Plus he has the other concerns added in, I’m not going to harp on his mental health but it’s there and the gambling thing. I guess that is the going rate for a WR though.

He is far from my first choice if you had a choice of any WRs out there…but he was the best choice this off-season to upgrade the WR room without having to give up any assets or draft picks…I do think he would help the team as far as their rebuilding efforts to get back to relevancy…get 3 years of solid play out of him while the young QB is developing while figuring out the long term future of the position…now if they did not have a silly amount of cap space for this year and next year I wouldn’t want any part of him but that is not the situation they are in.

IMO, Ridley on NE would be the equivalent of Jakobi Meyers (but almost 3 years older). If people want to say that someone of Meyers pedigree and production level is worth bringing on (at $23M a year), to be a rookie QB's binky, so be it. (It's not that far fetched . . . the numbers for Ridley the last two seasons he played (averaged together) are very similar to Meyer's last two years in NE.

I'd still take MHJ at 1.03 because I think the alternative is Daniels and I'm not sold on him whereas I'm fairly confident MHJ will be a stud in the NFL (wouldn't expect a Ja'Marr Chase like rookie season for him but beyond he should be awesome).
Early WR picks have a similar bust rate as early QBs do. Going back to 2000 . . .

Top 5 picks
2021 - Ja'Marr Chase (5)
2017 - Corey Davis (5)
2015 - Amari Cooper (4)
2014 - Sammy Watkins (4)
2012 - Justin Blackmon (5)
2011 - A.J. Green (4)
2007 - Calvin Johnson (2)
2005 - Braylon Edwards (3)
2004 - Larry Fitzgerald (3)
2003 - Charles Rogers (2)
2003 - Andre Johnson (3)
2000 - Peter Warrick (4)

Top 10 picks
2022 - Drake London (8)
2022 - Garrett Wilson (10
2021 - Jaylen Waddle (6)
2021 - DeVanta Smith (10)
2017 - Mike Williams (7)
2017 - John Ross (9)
2015 - Kevin White (7)
2014 - Mike Evans (7)
2013 - Tavon Austin (8)
2011 - Julio Jones (6)
2009 - Darrius Heyward-Bay (7)
2009 - Michael Crabtree (10)
2007 - Ted Ginn (9)
2005 - Troy Williamson (7)
2005 - Mike Williams (10)
2004 - Roy Williams (7)
2004 - Reggie Williams (9)
2002 - David Terrell (8)
2001 - Koren Robinson (9)
2000 - Plaxico Buress (8)
2000 - Travis Taylor (10)

There are some HOF receivers on those lists . . . and a lot of bums. I think Harrison will have a good career (if he ends up in a good spot). That being said, on the surface, it sounds like there are several strong WR prospects this draft class. If it were me, I would trade down, accumulate more picks, and take a tackle. I am not convinced the drop of at QB or WR will be huge, so I would worry about those two spots after I take a foundational tackle. But that's boring (but potentially would be the one single player that could have a huge impact on the offense).

Always wondered if Marvin Harrison would be as universally loved if his name was Frank Davis. I watch him and he looks like a good WR but I don’t see Calvin Johnson or anything.

Always wondered if Marvin Harrison would be as universally loved if his name was Frank Davis. I watch him and he looks like a good WR but I don’t see Calvin Johnson or anything.
I watched a lot of tOSU. The cheat code for them was Harrsion running underneath drag routes. If they kept running those, the Buckeyes would have averaged 50 ppg. MHJ had some sensational catches, but most of the time he was just open and they got him the ball. It's always hard to tell, but to me there were a lot of passes that were uncatchable. I am not totally convinced a shutdown corner couldn't lock him up. But I do think he's flashed enough to be a future Top 5-10 NFL receiver. Is that worth the #3 pick? Who knows?

If he was Frank Davis out of Utah State or something then yeah I absolutely think he isn't as highly regarded. But I think Harrison's overall pedigree is exactly why he's beloved. His father is a Hall of Famer (Brendan Rice's father is too but this isn't the only consideration), and MHJ is regarded as a better prospect than his father was coming out of college. MHJ played at a high level at Ohio State, an NFL WR factory, and was the best out of the group. It's easy to see him succeeding at the NFL level.

the scuttlebutt last week was that JuJu would be cut and he hasn't been. If that means that he is still in their plans, that can't possibly be viewed as a good thing.

ugh. stop. please. acquiring JJSS was worse than the worst draft pick of the BB era.

Curtis Samuel. To Buffalo.

Draft a QB at #3 then just draft WRs and Tackles with their other 7 picks...then cross your fingers.
In the last 5 drafts, they’ve taken 5 WR and 12 OL. IIRC, they picked up probably 3 of each as UDFAs. How’s that work out?

I was just kidding...but I am not surprised it didn't as BB was a train-wreck with WRs and once Dante left the O line magic was gone.

Bedard has been on this since the new regime took over:

- I tried to warn you this methodical approach, the Ron Wolf Way, was likely coming to the Patriots. It's not sexy at all. It's not fun at times, especially during free agency. But there's a method to the madness. It just takes a lot of patience. If the goal is a sustainable, competitive team year in and year out - no one is going to approach six Super Bowl titles, so we're trying to be realistic - then this is a proven system. I'm not saying it's going to work here, but the Packers are 2 for 2 doing it this way, and the third iteration under Brian Gutekunst looks like it's about to payoff big time again.

Now K. Allen gone for a 4th round pick. M. Brown signs with KC for "up to" 11 million (which doesn't sound too bad).

Don't understand what the hell they are waiting for. We need a veteran WR before the draft.

Mike Williams? Maybe for less than 10 M coming off ACL for a 1 year deal?

Now K. Allen gone for a 4th round pick. M. Brown signs with KC for "up to" 11 million (which doesn't sound too bad).

Don't understand what the hell they are waiting for. We need a veteran WR before the draft.

With the shape their O is in I don’t think any veteran is going to be in a rush to do a one year prove it deal with them…not sure if Allen had any say with where he got traded to but that one hurts…add him and a WR in the early second round like McConkey and the WR room could be dramatically improved…something’s gotta give here…they need more than one or two drafted WRs if they are going to put the young QB in a position to develop correctly…add that to the O line upgrades needed and they definitely have their work cut out for them.

I’m not surprised that even despite the extra salary space, New England is not a popular free agency destination. Never really has been, even during the glory days. There’s no more Brady and Belichick tandem to provide the promise of Super Bowl contention. So all that’s left are the bitter winter conditions that playing up here brings. If a FA wants to deal with that they’ll now look to Buffalo first and only if the money makes sense. Otherwise it’s the cushy, warmer climates and/or overwhelming market offers. I’m not trying to make excuses here, just stuff to consider. I know in the NBA players are more likely to sign in warmer climates and avoid the cold especially if the money and wins opportunities are close enough.

I’m not surprised that even despite the extra salary space, New England is not a popular free agency destination. Never really has been, even during the glory days. There’s no more Brady and Belichick tandem to provide the promise of Super Bowl contention. So all that’s left are the bitter winter conditions that playing up here brings. If a FA wants to deal with that they’ll now look to Buffalo first and only if the money makes sense. Otherwise it’s the cushy, warmer climates and/or overwhelming market offers. I’m not trying to make excuses here, just stuff to consider. I know in the NBA players are more likely to sign in warmer climates and avoid the cold especially if the money and wins opportunities are close enough.
Yeah, there's no word if NE is trying to sign any of these other guys and being turned down or not. It would not surprise me if FAs are like, "no thanks."

However, that's where a trade comes into play where maybe the player has less or no say. Not sure if that's the case with Tee Higgins.

Yeah, there's no word if NE is trying to sign any of these other guys and being turned down or not. It would not surprise me if FAs are like, "no thanks."

However, that's where a trade comes into play where maybe the player has less or no say. Not sure if that's the case with Tee Higgins.
Higgins is looking to get extended more than anything else it seems. He isn’t happy at all with the franchise tag because any drop in production this coming season (especially in case of injury) negatively effects his earning potential going forward. I think if the Pats felt compelled to give both the Bengals and Higgins what they’re looking for I think all parties involved would be happy. I’m just not sure the Pats will be willing to give up the draft capital as well as the guaranteed money to make it happen.

Getting bent over on taxes is another negative with regard to free agents.

I’m just not sure the Pats will be willing to give up the draft capital as well as the guaranteed money to make it happen.
Agreed.

As for K. Allen, CHI looks like it is trying to make future starting QB C. Williams comfortable. Already have DJ Moore. Now K. Allen. Wouldn't be surprised if they draft one of the top 3 WRs at #9 too.

Getting bent over on taxes is another negative with regard to free agents.
You’re right, I keep forgetting about that too. Taxachusetts rears its ugly head. There’s no income tax in Tennessee and probably why Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, and Calvin Ridley all chose to go there instead when given the opportunity to sign here.

On another note…it has been totally quiet with Kyle Dugger…I don’t think I have even heard one rumor…with where we are in free agency I would be real surprised if he gets an offer that the Pats can’t easily match if they really do want him back.

The obvious answer is OBJ, given his ties with the guys from the Browns. Odell certainly would prefer playing for a contender. Maybe they would
need to mend some relationships, as I seem to recall OBJ huffing and puffing about not getting the ball enough in CLE.

I’m not suggesting that’s who they should be signing, but he’s an option that fits the short term deal / veteran narrative. He certainly would not be considered a good stabilizing influence on a young receivers room, but he could step in take on some targets.

If the main contenders don’t have an interest or won’t pay him what he wants, the Pats could end up being an option. Whether they would want an aging, turning 32, oft-injured diva WR is a while ‘nother discussion.

On another note…it has been totally quiet with Kyle Dugger…I don’t think I have even heard one rumor…with where we are in free agency I would be real surprised if he gets an offer that the Pats can’t easily match if they really do want him back.
Seems like a bunch of safeties flooded the market. That's why I wonder if that was a good use of the transition tag. Maybe they didn't need it and misread the market.

Seems like a bunch of safeties flooded the market. That's why I wonder if that was a good use of the transition tag. Maybe they didn't need it and misread the market.
I don't think the Pats love Dugger. I think they like him at the right price. I'm not sure he's their long-term plan at safety moving forward. A lot of other safeties got the ax after they gave him the transition tag, so they may end up overpaying him for this year. Similarly, they are pretty much stuck giving him $13.8 million for this year . . . meaning I doubt he signs a new deal or extension for less than that for the 2024 portion of the contract.

With McCourty retired and Philips and Mills released, they don't have a lot of depth at safety, and the guys they have seem better against the run than against the pass. If the offense wasn't such a mess, we would be discussing that the team needs youth and depth in the secondary. Gonzalez should be fine, but as of now, their other outside starting CB is either Marcus Jones or Shaun Wade. As I mentioned earlier, their may be cracks in the defense that were covered up with BB being there that might be uncovered this year without Bill there. But in other off seasons, we'd be talking about the defense needing help in several spots.

Last edited:
I don't think the Pats love Dugger. I think they like him at the right price. I'm not sure he's their long-term plan at safety moving forward. A lot of other safeties got the ax after they gave him the transition tag, so they may end up overpaying him for this year. Similarly, they are pretty much stuck giving him $13.8 million for this year . . . meaning I doubt he signs a new deal or extension for less than that for the 2024 portion of the contract.

With McCourty retired and Philips and Mills released, they don't have a lot of depth at safety, and the guys they have seem better against the run than against the pass. If the offense wasn't such a mess, we would be discussing that the team needs youth and depth in the secondary. Gonzalex should be fine, but as of now, their other outside starting CB is either Marcus Jones or Shaun Wade. As I mentioned earlier, their may be cracks in the defense that were covered up with BB being there that might be uncovered this year without Bill there. But in other off seasons, we'd be talking about the defense needing help in several spots.
Yup.

Wonder if they can get Gilmore cheap. Or T. White. 1 year deals.

Yup.

Wonder if they can get Gilmore cheap. Or T. White. 1 year deals.
IMO, guys that will agree to come to NE either are playing out the string and have no other options, are coming off an injury and need a 1-year prove it deal and don't care about winning, or are going to get overpaid to pay for the Pats. White might need a landing spot coming off a major injury, but I would guess other places might be considered more desirable. I think Gilmore might have been an option if BB was still here, but I don't think Mayo has the pull or street cred to be a coach that has respect across the league that guys will come in just because they want to play for him.

Word has it that MN is desperate to grab a top 3 QB. Just acquired their 2nd first rounder.

If this crap continues, and NE just has too many gaping holes, two first rounders for this year, plus one first rounder next year (and more?) will start to look very attractive.

Especially if NE is not 1000% convinced Maye has what it takes.

Word has it that MN is desperate to grab a top 3 QB. Just acquired their 2nd first rounder.

If this crap continues, and NE just has too many gaping holes, two first rounders for this year, plus one first rounder next year (and more?) will start to look very attractive.

Especially if NE is not 1000% convinced Maye has what it takes.

Will be interesting because you would think that the Pats would be their main target (Cards would probably be the other one if they happen to like 4 rookie QBs) in a deal as I don’t see Washington or Chicago dealing their picks…I will stick by what I have said from the beginning…if you are convinced that who you like at #3 is a franchise-level QB you make that pick regardless of any sweetheart offers as you may not get that opportunity again and could regret not taking that QB for a decade…if you are not sold on one of the QBs at #3 then move it because you will regret that as well for a long time if you force it…in many ways the success or failure of the Elliot Wolf era will be directly tied to this one pick and if we are duplicating this Packer way of building a team the one constant was having a big time QB…they just can’t screw up this pick or they will be hurting for a very long time.

If you are not sold on one of the QBs at #3 then move it because you will regret that as well for a long time if you force it…in many ways the success or failure of the Elliot Wolf era will be directly tied to this one pick and if we are duplicating this Packer way of building a team the one constant was having a big time QB.
Here's the rub with the Packers team building model that sort of irks me. By the time Wolf was pouring coffee for the main players in the Packers front office on his initial hiring, Brett Favre had already won 3 MVPs, was a first- or second-team All Pro 5 times, and had won a SB. They drafted Rodgers in Wolf's second year, when he had very little input in the team's future direction. From there, any decisions or personnel choices were made under the backdrop of already having a HOF QB. They had two on the roster at the same time (not that they knew that at the time about Rodgers). NE currently has zero competent QBs on their roster. Maybe competent is harsh, but they certainly don't have a difference maker. The Patriots can't invoke the same strategy as the Packers did with Rodgers (sit a newly minted rookie for 3 seasons).

If we want to emulate the Packers model and apply it to NE, Wolf would have been a great guy to have hired as a scouting and personnel guru say 15 years ago when TB12 was in his prime and they could have maxed out Brady's championship window. The Packers team building narrative is a nice story, but let's jump ahead to the Browns piece. When Wolf moved to CLE as their Assistant GM, the Browns promptly went 0-16. NE fans would go insane if they didn't win a single game this season. In the time that Wolf was with the Browns, they did make some great draft picks (Garrett, Njoku, and Chubb among them). They also selected Baker Mayfield #1 overall (with mixed results). If the Pats take a QB at #3, how would fans feel if that guy performed similarly to Mayfield and was run out of town in 4 years?

We don't know how much Wolf contributed to the players taken in recent NE drafts, but in the 4 years that he's been around, some of the decisions and player selections were terrible. I know it's easy to suggest Bill was the one that completely botched the drafts, but it's possible he was picking guys the personnel team had identified as guys with a lot of upside. The buck stops with Bill, but I don't think he 100% was to blame in the poor drafting decisions. Bottom line, Wolf is taking over a team a lot more similar to the mess in CLE than when he was hired by the Packers, who had already made the playoffs 10 times with Favre.

If you are not sold on one of the QBs at #3 then move it because you will regret that as well for a long time if you force it…in many ways the success or failure of the Elliot Wolf era will be directly tied to this one pick and if we are duplicating this Packer way of building a team the one constant was having a big time QB.
Here's the rub with the Packers team building model that sort of irks me. By the time Wolf was pouring coffee for the main players in the Packers front office on his initial hiring, Brett Favre had already won 3 MVPs, was a first- or second-team All Pro 5 times, and had won a SB. They drafted Rodgers in Wolf's second year, when he had very little input in the team's future direction. From there, any decisions or personnel choices were made under the backdrop of already having a HOF QB. They had two on the roster at the same time (not that they knew that at the time about Rodgers). NE currently has zero competent QBs on their roster. Maybe competent is harsh, but they certainly don't have a difference maker. The Patriots can't invoke the same strategy as the Packers did with Rodgers (sit a newly minted rookie for 3 seasons).

If we want to emulate the Packers model and apply it to NE, Wolf would have been a great guy to have hired as a scouting and personnel guru say 15 years ago when TB12 was in his prime and they could have maxed out Brady's championship window. The Packers team building narrative is a nice story, but let's jump ahead to the Browns piece. When Wolf moved to CLE as their Assistant GM, the Browns promptly went 0-16. NE fans would go insane if they didn't win a single game this season. In the time that Wolf was with the Browns, they did make some great draft picks (Garrett, Njoku, and Chubb among them). They also selected Baker Mayfield #1 overall (with mixed results). If the Pats take a QB at #3, how would fans feel if that guy performed similarly to Mayfield and was run out of town in 4 years?

We don't know how much Wolf contributed to the players taken in recent NE drafts, but in the 4 years that he's been around, some of the decisions and player selections were terrible. I know it's easy to suggest Bill was the one that completely botched the drafts, but it's possible he was picking guys the personnel team had identified as guys with a lot of upside. The buck stops with Bill, but I don't think he 100% was to blame in the poor drafting decisions. Bottom line, Wolf is taking over a team a lot more similar to the mess in CLE than when he was hired by the Packers, who had already made the playoffs 10 times with Favre.

Don’t disagree with any of this…the Packers are a quality franchise but I don’t see them as a blueprint we need to follow…especially since the game has changed since his Dad was in charge.

Lots of interesting theories out today. Here are two of them:

Would NE trade #3 for the two MIN picks (#11 and #23) and maybe a one it a two in 2025? The Vikes are rumored to wand Maye.

Harbaugh rumored to want McCarthy, so would the Chargers trade Herbert straight up for the #3 pick?

Would Pats fans go for either of those?

Lots of interesting theories out today. Here are two of them:

Would NE trade #3 for the two MIN picks (#11 and #23) and maybe a one it a two in 2025? The Vikes are rumored to wand Maye.
I'm not in love with the top 3 qbs, so sure...maybe have to move around to get one of the top 2 OTs and a good WR, but sure. Brissett (and Jimmy G?) could be a bridge.
Harbaugh rumored to want McCarthy, so would the Chargers trade Herbert straight up for the #3 pick?

Herbert is not worth two first round picks?!?

People think Maye has better upside than Herbert?!?

Harbaugh has signed up for a rebuild and nobody told him?

Users who are viewing this thread