What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (3 Viewers)

Don't feel like posting in the SB topic. Hope the patriots tone down Browner's role, maybe to just locking down TE-Wilson. I have a feeling the hawks may know how to expose him against a receiver. I think Revis/Ryan/Arrington/Butler can handle the hawks WRs, not to underestimate them either. That may be my biggest concern right now, on the defensive side of the ball at least.

From a defensive standpoint, I'm most concerned with Wilson taking off and running. I would expect the Pats to sell out against the run and have enough confidence in their DBs to be okay out on an island. I think Jamie Collins becomes a huge key in containing Wilson. BB is known for taking out a team' stop weapon which would be Lynch, I think they want to put the game on Wilson beating them from the pocket.

Lmfao, per Roto:

Seahawks CB Jeremy Lane doesn't believe Rob Gronkowski is "that good."
Oh. "He’s OK," Lane conceded. "But he does have a big body, and from what I’ve seen on tape, he don’t like your hands being put on him. So if we put our hands on him and shake him up a little bit, he won’t catch that many balls as he should." We doubt Gronk had ever heard of Lane before today, but he might have something special for him in Super Bowl XLIX. Few teams search for bulletin board material as voraciously as the Pats. Lane has offered up some of the

Lmfao, per Roto:

Oh. "He’s OK," Lane conceded. "But he does have a big body, and from what I’ve seen on tape, he don’t like your hands being put on him. So if we put our hands on him and shake him up a little bit, he won’t catch that many balls as he should." We doubt Gronk had ever heard of Lane before today, but he might have something special for him in Super Bowl XLIX. Few teams search for bulletin board material as voraciously as the Pats. Lane has offered up some of the
over under on how many foot prints he leaves in his back, 2.5?

Lmfao, per Roto:

somebody's gettin' thrown out of the club........

I would say one of the truest joys of being a pats fan is the parade of hapless pregame chirpers that you just know will meet their inevitable fate, but none of them ever seem to realize it.

whether it's tomlinson, a no name pittsburgh safety, lane, or even spikes --- there always seems like there's that one buster who has to chirp before playing the pats.

and the funniest thing is it's usually the kind of thing that leaves his teammates at some other position holding the bag.

Lmfao, per Roto:

Genius. Giving the Pats bulletin board material and inviting the refs to pay special attention to how they use their hands to defend receivers, all in two short sentences.

Damnit Harbaugh, why won't you let me hate you :cry:

“He’s been a great mentor, a great friend. I have the utmost respect for him,”
he said.
“Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of our generation, without question. I don’t think anybody would doubt that. Nothing is going to change that.

“He’s the toughest guy we have to go against every single year game plan-wise and trying to beat his team. They have a great team, they’re where they deserve to be, they’re where they belong and I just consider him my friend.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, when Dungy said he knew someone on the competition committee who said this offseason they will ban the fightsong/eligibility shuffle, I thought he was blowing hot air.

But holy #### is this guy a tool:

Dungy said that, if he were coaching the Seahawks, he’d reluctantly tell the players to fake defensive injuries in the Super Bowl to counter New England’s tactic.

“It’s something I’m totally against doing but I would certainly tell my players to do it rather than have the NFL issue an apology the next day after we lost a Super Bowl,” Dungy said, adding he would do it only as a last resort.

Rough transcript of BB, courtesy of /u/vgman20 of /r/patriots

"How we doing?"

I want to take this opportunity to share information

I spent a significant amount of time this weekend learning what I could about letters, air gauges, stitches, ball preparation, etc.

Trying to be as helpful as I can and share what I learned. Having coached for several years, growing up in a football family, being around this game the entire life, it's clear I don't know very much about this area. I've learned a lot more, exponentially more, than I have ever known.

There have been questions raised, and I believe now, 100%, that I have personally, and we as an organization, has followed every rule to the letter, and on behalf of the organization, we have to say something

I've talked to and gathered a lot of information from staff, talked to other people familiar with this subject in other organizations, and we have performed an internal study of the process and there are other things we can do, but i have enough info to share with you

based on the events of today, this is the time to do it, it's impromptu but w/e

first of all, the process

as Tom said, the most important part of the ball for the QB is the feel of the ball, exterior. It's critical and easily identifiable. You can tell how broken in it is, etc. Easy to identify. That's the essence of the prep. We prepare the balls over time, use them in practice, that process

continues right up until balls are given to officials. Thats when theyre finalized

In that process, I've handled dozens of balls over the past week the texture is very easy to identify. The pressure is a whole different story

It's much more difficult to feel or identify. So the focus of our prep is based on feel and texture. Tom went into that and he's the one who can go through it in more detail than I can

We simulated a gameday situation in terms of prep of footballs and where the balls were at various times of the day, and our preparation process for the footballs is what we do, can't speak for other teams, and that process raises the PSI approximately 1 pound. (psi, i assume). The process of creating the feel they want elevates the PSI approximately 1 PSI, based on what our study showed, doing what we would do for a game.

When the balls are delivered to the locker room for the refs, we asked them to bring them down to 12.5. That's what we did in the study, but we don't know what the refs do with them. That's done in a controlled climate. Prepared in our locker room, delivered to official's locker room, which is also controlled environment. When the balls go outside into the elements, that's where the footballs are played with, and thats where the measurements would be different then what they are in a controlled environment, and thats what we found. When the footballs were on the field for an extended period of time and adjusted to temp and reached equilibrium, they were down approximately 1.5 psi.*

When we brought them back in after and retested them in a controlled environment, those measurements rose approximately 0.5 PSI. The net of 1.5 back to a half is about 1 PSI.

Now, we all know air pressure is a function of atmospheric conditions. If there's activity in the ball relative to the rubbing process, that explains why, when we gave them to the officials, if they put them at 12.5 psi, once it reached equilibrium state, it was closer to 11.5. Those were our measurements, we can't speak to what happened on that day. We don't touch them after the officials have them

it's similar to when your car says check tire pressure when its been out and cold

the atmospheric conditions relative to the ball is critical

At no time were any of our footballs prepared anywhere other than the locker room. never in a heated room or heated condition. that has absolutely never taken place to anyone's knowledge. didn't happen.

when you measure a football, there are a number of different issues that come up. Gauges (different types, accuracy, etc.), all footballs are different.

Each ball has it's own characteristics. It's an animal skin, it's a bladder, it's stitching, and each has it's own unique characteristics. When you do the same thing to different balls, there will be variance.

Footballs do not get measured during the game. We have no way of knowing, til we did the study, that this has taken place. When we give them to the officials, they put them to what they put them at, let's say 12.5, the air pressure from then to the rest of the game, we have no knowledge of. It's never been a concern. the concern is the pressure.

We had our QBs look at a number of footballs. They were unable to differentiate a 1 PSI difference in those footballs. They were unable to do it. On a 2 PSI difference, there was some differentiation, but not consistent. They could pick out some of them, but not all of their guesses were right. I can't tell the difference if there's 1 PSI or 0.5 PSI in any footballs.

Anyone who has seen us practice knows me make it harder to handle the ball. players train in conditions some people would say you shouldn't drive in. They're a mentally and physically tough team that works hard and has met every challenge I put in front of them. I know that because I work them every day. Best team in the AFC, beat 2 good teams in the playoffs, best team in the postseason. That's what this team is. I'm proud of this team.

I just want to show you what I've learned. I'm embarrassed to say how much time i've put into this vs. super bowl prep. i'm not a scientist or an expert in measurements, just telling you what i know. Not Mona Lisa Vito of the football world.

At no time was there any intent, WHATSOEVER, to compromise the integrity of the game. We feel we followed to letter of the rules in procedures, regulations, and every game we played in as it relates to this matter

We try and do everything right, we err on the side of caution. it's been this way for years. Anything that's close, we stay away from the line. In this case, we did everything as we could do it. We welcome the league's investigation, there are a number of things to be looked into, but that's not this conversation.

This is the end of this subject for me for a long time, ok? we have a huge game, and that's where this focus is going to go. I've spent more than enough time on this and im happy to share all that i've learned over this week. The matter is very complex, we're not landing a guy on the moon but there are a lot of things that are hard to get a handle on.

Alright, i'll take a couple questions then moving on

Q: Did NFL share...

A: talk to the NFL

Q: you don't know if they documented the pressure at various..

A: Tom, we could talk about this for 2 hrs. If you want to ask the league about what they do, ask the league. I'm just saying what I've learned. That's all I can say, I'm not a scientist nor a league official

Q: Do you feel after this work, you'll be exonerated

A: I just told you what I think

Q: usually this is spent on gameplanning

A: I have spent time game planning

Q: Do you think time's been compromised from gameplanning?

A: It has to be done

Q: it's a combo of atmospheric pressures and trusting the officials inflated the balls to 12.5 is that correct?

A; you can take the atmospheric conditions out of it. If there taken in the same conditions, they should be the same. If you expose them to elements, they'll be different. That's not the issue. Depending on where/how balls were measured, that's a whole different discussion. The prep caused the ball to be artificially high when it was set to the regulation level, then reached it's equilibrium at some point during the game, which was below what was set. anyone who wants to do the experiment, go ahead

Q: You try and err on the side of caution. You were pushing the envelope on video taping, has that changed?

A: The guy's giving signals in front of 80k people, we filmed that like a lot of other people were at the time. 80k people saw the guy, everyone saw us. It was wrong, we were disciplined for it, that's it. We're not going to do that again. We always will err on the side of caution.

Q: did you have any "science people" help with your investigation

A: we talked to a lot of people

Q: How much time spent?

A: didn't log it

Q: are you relieved by what you found?

A: on thursday i said i didn't have answers. We went through everything, im confident in what i've told you.

Q: so is that a yes?

A: i did what i did. I'm not using those adjectives

Q: Do you know what made the pressure rise?

A: You rub it to get to the texture, etc. (Bill's getting really pissed here). Does that stimulate something inside the ball to raise PSI, i would say yes

Q: based on research, what will you do differently

A: that's another whole area here. its a very important question

he finished here

Last edited by a moderator:
looool had no plans to watch this thing until I heard there was some kind of vinny ref, but I can't remember ever seeing belichick like this.

holy ####, there is no score high enough next week.

first 2 min pretty much summed the whole thing up

With all the press conferences about the other stuff, it is odd watching BB conduct a presser and answer questions about on the field football.

Any chance Wilfork gets into the hof?
I think he's worthy of some consideration but I don't see Vince getting in...when I see some of the names that don't get in I don't see him as someone who will get enough support...if the Pats had beaten the Giants in both of the Super Bowls I think he would have a much better resume to enhance his candidacy...

Any chance Wilfork gets into the hof?
Of all time, who would be considered a better NT than Vince? I think comparing him to his peers would be a good exercise in discussing his HOF potential. I wonder what others think...
The fact that he has only been all-pro once won't help his cause. Wilfork has always struck me as a player who has always been more really good than great.

I think stats don't do him justice, the dude commands two blockers and has his entire career that's worth quite a bit imo.

GB all you fellow Pats fans, I'm in tears tonight and am completely shocked. All the Giants let downs in the last two SB''s means nothing after tonight. Speechless.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Congratulations.

Now I need a shower. <_<
Thank you. As much as I hate to say it your organization deserves a hell of a lot more than what they have gotten in the last decade. I watched the game with a diehard Raiders fan who hates the Pats. Looking forward to the day the Raiders turn things around.

I am sooo happy, what a game, such a tremendous win!

This one means so much! Kraft is right, after the 1st one, this is the most special SB win.

Users who are viewing this thread