What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (1 Viewer)

Probably too difficult to look that far ahead but it would be interesting if it was obvious which of the team’s needs would be able to be addressed by 2025 1.02 ish. Assuming Tackle?

There’s a first time for everything. The Chiefs were historically bad at drafting QB’s until they took Mahomes.
I am going to push back some on this one. Prior to drafting Mahomes, the Chiefs had come off of 11- and 12- win seasons. They had Alex Smith at the helm, who was a 3-time Pro Bowl QB for the Chiefs. By the time Mahomes took over, the Chiefs had made the playoffs and had 10+ wins 4 times in 5 years with Reid. Mahomes took over a high-octane offense that included Hunt, Hill, and Kelce and had 7 Pro Bowl players. Obviously Mahomes is insanely talented and took the Chiefs to another level, but if he ended up on the current Patriots team, I suspect the offense would be better than "terrible" . . . to the point that he may have gotten them to "below average." That's my fear this season. Even if they end up with a QB with potential, between the lack of weapons, a spotty OL, and a coaching staff that's never called plays before, I suspect it won't look pretty and the rookie QB (if they elect to play one) runs the risk of getting clobbered. Clearly, we are a long way away from seeing the final roster and how things shake out on the field, and until then, we have very little to go on in terms of whether the kinder, gentler coaching staff can produce more wins and right the ship.

There’s a first time for everything. The Chiefs were historically bad at drafting QB’s until they took Mahomes.
I am going to push back some on this one. Prior to drafting Mahomes, the Chiefs had come off of 11- and 12- win seasons. They had Alex Smith at the helm, who was a 3-time Pro Bowl QB for the Chiefs. By the time Mahomes took over, the Chiefs had made the playoffs and had 10+ wins 4 times in 5 years with Reid. Mahomes took over a high-octane offense that included Hunt, Hill, and Kelce and had 7 Pro Bowl players. Obviously Mahomes is insanely talented and took the Chiefs to another level, but if he ended up on the current Patriots team, I suspect the offense would be better than "terrible" . . . to the point that he may have gotten them to "below average." That's my fear this season. Even if they end up with a QB with potential, between the lack of weapons, a spotty OL, and a coaching staff that's never called plays before, I suspect it won't look pretty and the rookie QB (if they elect to play one) runs the risk of getting clobbered. Clearly, we are a long way away from seeing the final roster and how things shake out on the field, and until then, we have very little to go on in terms of whether the kinder, gentler coaching staff can produce more wins and right the ship.
I get what you're saying but I'm not arguing about QB's but more about how a team can be snake-bitten at a position historically in the Draft but eventually hit. The Chiefs happened to hit on one of the all-time greats. To your point, if it were Trubisky that they ended up with instead of Mahomes, we would all be singing a different tune. Likewise if Mahomes ended up on the Bears there's no guarantee he'd be the mega star we see today. But my point was that even though the Pats have for the most part failed to hit on a WR in the NFL Draft, it doesn't mean they should stop trying. Eventually they'll draft a star. And depending on who is left I think they should seriously consider it at #34.

if they are willing to offer $23mm for Ridley maybe they are in play but I understood Aiyuk is looking for $25mm (without the resume to back it up).

if they are willing to offer $23mm for Ridley maybe they are in play but I understood Aiyuk is looking for $25mm (without the resume to back it up).
You're saying Aiyuk doesn't have the resume?

Aiyuk in my mind is elite. If he was ever in a high volume passing offense, his production would be off the charts. Would take him over Ridley every day of the week.
If NE was a low volume, ineffective passing offense, then what? If Aiyuk put up what he did in 2021 but with the Pats, would he be worth $25M? He had 56-826-5 that year. I fully expect NE's offense to be terrible again. I would expect limited passing production and a concerted effort to run the ball. But I would not expect the Pats to have a WR with much better numbers than what Meyers put up. At least not for a few years.

Aiyuk in my mind is elite. If he was ever in a high volume passing offense, his production would be off the charts. Would take him over Ridley every day of the week.
If NE was a low volume, ineffective passing offense, then what? If Aiyuk put up what he did in 2021 but with the Pats, would he be worth $25M? He had 56-826-5 that year. I fully expect NE's offense to be terrible again. I would expect limited passing production and a concerted effort to run the ball. But I would not expect the Pats to have a WR with much better numbers than what Meyers put up. At least not for a few years.
I think to kyoun1e’s point, Aiyuk put up near elite numbers despite playing on the lowest volume passing attack in the NFL last season (by measure of pass attempts, where the 49ers had the fewest pass attempts in the NFL). Aiyuk is one of the most efficient WR’s in the game. He’s a route technician who is almost always open, and a much better player than Jakobi Meyers. It wouldn’t be hard to envision him surpassing 1,000 yards again with somewhere around 6-8 TDs as the focal point of the passing game even running is the primary way of attack on offense. Have to remember they’re going away from the Erhardt-Perkins offense to a more west coast style under Alex Van Pelt.

That having been said the Aiyuk trade rumors have already been debunked and I don’t see the Pats getting him anyway so there’s not much point in debating it. Best we can hope for IMO is a Day 2 selection at WR.

I don't disagree with you in that Aiyuk will probably see his production suppressed in next year's offense. That said, he's a talent.

Get him now, keep gathering pieces, and then maybe starting year 2 with NE you have something.

As much as it pains me as a someone with Aiyuk on my favorite dynasty team, his presence would make a huge impact on developing the quarterback. A dominant man separating X is going to make the whole thing work much better. Bourne Y and pop in the slot with HH as a security blanket is better than anything Mac ever had to work with.

As much as it pains me as a someone with Aiyuk on my favorite dynasty team, his presence would make a huge impact on developing the quarterback. A dominant man separating X is going to make the whole thing work much better. Bourne Y and pop in the slot with HH as a security blanket is better than anything Mac ever had to work with.

Big picture you are absolutely thinking the right way...I don't think they will get Aiyuk but the most important thing for the Pats is putting their soon-to-be young QB in the best position to succeed and develop correctly...nail that and there can be hope that this rebuild will be headed in the right direction.

The Pats reworked OT Calvin Anderson's contract, freeing up roughly $1M in cap space for this year. Because they have been so quick to use the other $53M in space they already had.

Wolf talking like trading down still could be a possibility today.

Then again, who the hell knows.

I think if you get 11,23 and two future first rounders offered you have to bail out of that third pick. Too juicy.

I'm scared to death of J. Daniels. Was reading some crazy stats on the % of times he ran when under pressure. Absurdly high. In NE, he'd be under pressure all the time and wouldn't have WRs streaking open down the field.

I think if you get 11,23 and two future first rounders offered you have to bail out of that third pick. Too juicy.
No one will offer a package like this. Some folks think their offer would be 11, 23, and like a 3rd and a 5th next year. (Some people think when the 49ers moved up for Lance, only one first rounder was in that draft, so they had to give up more future picks). The Vikings have other teams they could move up right after NE, so they may not have to go crazy in their offer to the Pats. At this point, other than the Vikings, I haven't heard any other teams that might be interested in moving up to 3.

No one will offer a package like this. Some folks think their offer would be 11, 23, and like a 3rd and a 5th next year. (Some people think when the 49ers moved up for Lance, only one first rounder was in that draft, so they had to give up more future picks). The Vikings have other teams they could move up right after NE, so they may not have to go crazy in their offer to the Pats. At this point, other than the Vikings, I haven't heard any other teams that might be interested in moving up to 3.
No way they trade down without a first next year.

JJ it is!

Well at least we no longer need to stay up until 11pm est to see the Pats trade their first pick like back in the day.
The fantasy football horse trader in me wants the Pats to trade the 1.3 for a kings ransom.
My brain is telling me that they need a franchise QB to build around.

- Best case scenario keeping #3, they get their franchise QB with the #3 pick. Add some top tier talent at WR & OL ... and the defense continues to step up, becoming elite, and makes the team competitive for the next several seasons.
- Best case scenario trading #3, they get a boat-load, including a 1st in next years draft, they have a terrible season this year and grab a franchise QB in next years draft, 2025. Loading up on drafted young talent all over the board this year and next. The 2026 season begins a new dynasty.
In this scenario, even if they don't have a top 3 pick next year, there's a chance the team that traded them next years first has an awful year, giving the Pats a top 5 pick.
- Worst case scenario keeping #3, they draft the wrong QB at #3 this year, they are unable to add any talent on offense, the new QB fails miserably. After 3 frustrating seasons, he's traded to JAX for a 6th round pick.
- Worst case scenario trading #3, they draft a bunch of mid talent players, and Jacoby Brissett leads them to just enough wins to be out of the running to draft a top tier QB for the next 3 seasons.

Worst case scenario trading #3, they draft a bunch of mid talent players, and Jacoby Brissett leads them to just enough wins to be out of the running to draft a top tier QB for the next 3 seasons.
This is why teams usually just take the QB. You never know when you will be picking this high again.

Well at least we no longer need to stay up until 11pm est to see the Pats trade their first pick like back in the day.
The fantasy football horse trader in me wants the Pats to trade the 1.3 for a kings ransom.

- Best case scenario keeping #3, they get their franchise QB with the #3 pick. Add some top tier talent at WR & OL ... and the defense continues to step up, becoming elite, and makes the team competitive for the next several seasons.
- Best case scenario trading #3, they get a boat-load, including a 1st in next years draft, they have a terrible season this year and grab a franchise QB in next years draft, 2025. Loading up on drafted young talent all over the board this year and next. The 2026 season begins a new dynasty.
In this scenario, even if they don't have a top 3 pick next year, there's a chance the team that traded them next years first has an awful year, giving the Pats a top 5 pick.
- Worst case scenario keeping #3, they draft the wrong QB at #3 this year, they are unable to add any talent on offense, the new QB fails miserably. After 3 frustrating seasons, he's traded to JAX for a 6th round pick.
- Worst case scenario trading #3, they draft a bunch of mid talent players, and Jacoby Brissett leads them to just enough wins to be out of the running to draft a top tier QB for the next 3 seasons.
OPTION 1: Even Disney could not write a script this unlikely. All teams are lucky to draft two keepers in the same draft and MAYBE could get three starters in a great draft. I see nothing to indicate the Patriots decision-makers will be more competent without the best coach they ever had involved. On top of that, IMO, the defense is much more likely to go backwards than forwards with Bill gone. BB's defensive schemes were usually exceptional. I doubt the current defensive coaching staff will be able to replicate that.

OPTION 2: This is the best option, IMO. I think there is a huge chance the QB they bring in will not perform well. Blend in a lack of talent, a coaching staff that hasn't even called plays before, and a prayer that the guys they bring in can perform well as rookies, and they run the risk of ruining a rookie early on. I would take the approach that they need to build up the roster and talent level first, and THEN bring in the next starting QB (who by then would have a much better chance to succeed).

OPTION 3: IMO, the team and coaching staff got worse so far this off season. I think there is a great chance the new QB fails, doesn't get a 5th year option or gets traded like Jones, and the current coaching staff will get jettisoned in short order. I think they are entering the early stage of a rebuild, and it will take a second staff and regime to actually yield results. I'm not even sure it's a matter of drafting the wrong QB. I don't think the team could support and develop a rookie QB no matter who it is.

OPTION 4: See Option 1. I don't see any conceivable way they end up hitting on so many picks that Brissett can lead them to a decent record. They did very little to upgrade the roster through free agency or trades. As discussed in other threads, the recent crop of early first round draft picks has been anywhere from just plain busts to not that great (with a few that have worked out). For example, Stroud, Wilson, Lance, Jones, Jones, Darnold, Rosen, Trubisky, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, etc. Not sure having an early pick to draft a QB is a panacea or elixir to cure all that ails them. But as in Option 2, if the roster was better, that would increase the hit rate / chances for another QB.

OPTION 1: Even Disney could not write a script this unlikely. All teams are lucky to draft two keepers in the same draft and MAYBE could get three starters in a great draft. I see nothing to indicate the Patriots decision-makers will be more competent without the best coach they ever had involved. On top of that, IMO, the defense is much more likely to go backwards than forwards with Bill gone. BB's defensive schemes were usually exceptional. I doubt the current defensive coaching staff will be able to replicate that.

OPTION 2: This is the best option, IMO. I think there is a huge chance the QB they bring in will not perform well. Blend in a lack of talent, a coaching staff that hasn't even called plays before, and a prayer that the guys they bring in can perform well as rookies, and they run the risk of ruining a rookie early on. I would take the approach that they need to build up the roster and talent level first, and THEN bring in the next starting QB (who by then would have a much better chance to succeed).

OPTION 3: IMO, the team and coaching staff got worse so far this off season. I think there is a great chance the new QB fails, doesn't get a 5th year option or gets traded like Jones, and the current coaching staff will get jettisoned in short order. I think they are entering the early stage of a rebuild, and it will take a second staff and regime to actually yield results. I'm not even sure it's a matter of drafting the wrong QB. I don't think the team could support and develop a rookie QB no matter who it is.

OPTION 4: See Option 1. I don't see any conceivable way they end up hitting on so many picks that Brissett can lead them to a decent record. They did very little to upgrade the roster through free agency or trades. As discussed in other threads, the recent crop of early first round draft picks has been anywhere from just plain busts to not that great (with a few that have worked out). For example, Stroud, Wilson, Lance, Jones, Jones, Darnold, Rosen, Trubisky, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, etc. Not sure having an early pick to draft a QB is a panacea or elixir to cure all that ails them. But as in Option 2, if the roster was better, that would increase the hit rate / chances for another QB.
Agreed, put me on the lets trade back for picks and build up roster, get qb after roster is bulked up and take advantage of qb rookie contract.

If they are sold on the talent I am 100% on the draft the QB wagon…getting a big time QB without giving up any assets is a luxury they may not get again…I don’t see what the benefit of getting extra picks is if you then have to use them later to trade for a QB and as of right now next year’s QB class is not a strong one meaning you could be chasing a lesser talent…if the Pats hit on the QB the rebuild gets so much easier…you can deal next year’s pick (and it should be a high one) for a haul and you will have total flexibility with how to use it…if you have a good young QB you give the franchise hope and you will be a much more desirable spot for free agents…if the Pats pass on a franchise QB and he hits they will regret it for years regardless of how many picks they get back…keep it simple…take the QB and move forward with the most important position (by far) hopefully solved long term.

If they are sold on the talent I am 100% on the draft the QB wagon…getting a big time QB without giving up any assets is a luxury they may not get again…I don’t see what the benefit of getting extra picks is if you then have to use them later to trade for a QB and as of right now next year’s QB class is not a strong one meaning you could be chasing a lesser talent…if the Pats hit on the QB the rebuild gets so much easier…you can deal next year’s pick (and it should be a high one) for a haul and you will have total flexibility with how to use it…if you have a good young QB you give the franchise hope and you will be a much more desirable spot for free agents…if the Pats pass on a franchise QB and he hits they will regret it for years regardless of how many picks they get back…keep it simple…take the QB and move forward with the most important position (by far) hopefully solved long term.
IMO, there is a league wide group think mentality that you have to be in the Top 5 (maybe Top 10) to get a franchise QB. There have been plenty of guys taken in that range that did nothing or very little (I just listed a bunch). I think that showcases what happens when teams are convinced that's the sweet spot to draft their next guy, but that often means they are inflating someone's draft stock based on positional necessity. It doesn't take much to fall in love with a college QB, but the practical reality is most of them had reasons for concern that were overlooked.

Guys that have been decent options not in the Top 5 in recent years . . . Purdy at 262 (admittedly a unicorn), Herbert (6), Love (26), Hurts (53), Allen (7), Lamar (32), Mahomes (10), Watson (12), Prescott (135), Carr (36), Jimmy G. (62), Geno (39), Tannehill (8), Wilson (75), and Cousins (102).

I know you have mentioned 50 times "if the Pats hit on the QB" . . . but how realistic is it that the guy they pick at 3 will succeed given what even you have described as a hot mess in terms of weapons and OL? They really didn't do much with all the cap money they had to work with.

We need to have reasonable expectations. They aren't going to be able to hit on all their draft picks, and a rookie throwing to rookies (or below average players) and playing with several inexperienced linemen is not a recipe for success. We saw what happened with Mac Jones, and there is a very high likelihood that whomever the new guy is will endure the same poor working and coaching conditions. I am equally not sold on the coaching staff, as they are very inexperienced. I also think people assuming the defense will be near elite are completely ignoring the impact BB had on that side of the ball (and will we see the defense struggle a lot more).

IMO, NE will be picking in the Top 5-10 next year (and likely the year after that). The last banner crop of first round QBs turned out to be a mirage. The less highly touted Class of 2020 turned out to be a gold mine by comparison (Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts). The Pats won't have to make a crazy trade to be able to land a QB in the next two drafts.

IMO, there is a league wide group think mentality that you have to be in the Top 5 (maybe Top 10) to get a franchise QB. There have been plenty of guys taken in that range that did nothing or very little (I just listed a bunch). I think that showcases what happens when teams are convinced that's the sweet spot to draft their next guy, but that often means they are inflating someone's draft stock based on positional necessity. It doesn't take much to fall in love with a college QB, but the practical reality is most of them had reasons for concern that were overlooked.

Guys that have been decent options not in the Top 5 in recent years . . . Purdy at 262 (admittedly a unicorn), Herbert (6), Love (26), Hurts (53), Allen (7), Lamar (32), Mahomes (10), Watson (12), Prescott (135), Carr (36), Jimmy G. (62), Geno (39), Tannehill (8), Wilson (75), and Cousins (102).

I know you have mentioned 50 times "if the Pats hit on the QB" . . . but how realistic is it that the guy they pick at 3 will succeed given what even you have described as a hot mess in terms of weapons and OL? They really didn't do much with all the cap money they had to work with.

We need to have reasonable expectations. They aren't going to be able to hit on all their draft picks, and a rookie throwing to rookies (or below average players) and playing with several inexperienced linemen is not a recipe for success. We saw what happened with Mac Jones, and there is a very high likelihood that whomever the new guy is will endure the same poor working and coaching conditions. I am equally not sold on the coaching staff, as they are very inexperienced. I also think people assuming the defense will be near elite are completely ignoring the impact BB had on that side of the ball (and will we see the defense struggle a lot more).

IMO, NE will be picking in the Top 5-10 next year (and likely the year after that). The last banner crop of first round QBs turned out to be a mirage. The less highly touted Class of 2020 turned out to be a gold mine by comparison (Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts). The Pats won't have to make a crazy trade to be able to land a QB in the next two drafts.

Much like the run up to last year’s season I just don’t see things like you…IMO it is quite simple…if you are convinced the QB has a good chance of being a franchise-level QB you take him…if you have too many questions about him you don’t…I think passing on a QB that you believe can be a high quality starter because you think you can get cute and get one in the 3rd round or in another year or two is lunacy…like Mahomes or Love there is no rule that you have to start him this year…if it makes sense to sit him this year do it…this is about the long game and not 2024…I did see what happened with Mac and I think there is a lesson to be learned…don’t hire Matt Patricia as an OC and don’t ignore adding legit offensive talent when it is obvious you need it.

Aiyuk still out there and now T. Higgins has requested a trade.

I've got to think NE is making calls. Or I at least hope so.

I'd trade #34 + something else and pay the $'s all day vs. taking the next N. Harry at 34.

I'd trade #34 + something else and pay the $'s all day vs. taking the next N. Harry at 34.
If you are Higgins or Aiyuk, why would you agree to sign an extension with NE?

My preferences:

- Maye
- Harrison Jr. (not happening)
- Daniels (though sounds like he may be the pick at #2)
- trade back for a king’s ransom and draft McCarthy or Penix Jr. with a later first or earlier second

How I think it’ll play out:

- McCarthy at 3rd overall and I try to cope at them passing on Maye/Daniels

My preferences:

- Maye
- trade back for a king’s ransom and draft McCarthy or Penix Jr. with a later first or earlier second

If they do trade back I'd honestly punt on a first round QB (Nix, Penix) altogether, maybe target a Rattler a little later, load up on OT/WR/TE, roll with Brisset, and hope you can shake loose another QB in a year or two (Dak?) or as usual, another QB or QBs start flying up draft boards next year.

My preferences:

- Maye

If they do trade back I'd honestly punt on a first round QB (Nix, Penix) altogether, maybe target a Rattler a little later, load up on OT/WR/TE, roll with Brisset, and hope you can shake loose another QB in a year or two (Dak?) or as usual, another QB or QBs start flying up draft boards next year.

Obviously subject to change but next year's draft does not look strong at QB and I also don't want to be in a spot where they have to trade assets to get one next year...also, here is the business reality of doing that...without a good QB (or at least the hope of a good QB that is on the roster) both Mayo and Wolf will be fired within 3 years...if the QB they draft this year busts they still may get fired but my guess is they would rather go down swinging...I do want them to go QB at #3 but if they trade down and still figure out a way to get a QB like Penix or Nix if they are sold on them I am good with that...just not sure they can get too cute doing that with teams like Denver, Vegas and Minny looking to get a QB as well...I do not like the plan of trading down then trading up...too fine of a line and if the price gets too high you could negate much of what you did with the trade down...if you go QB this year then next year you can have total flexibility with your #1 which should be a high one.

Phil Perry's final mocks...one just for the Pats and one just the 1st round...would have zero issues if the Pats did what he is speculating:

Without a good QB (or at least the hope of a good QB that is on the roster) both Mayo and Wolf will be fired within 3 years.
Just curious what has to happen and when for these two to keep their jobs in NE. If it's winning games (as Robert Kraft talks about all the time), then what is the win threshold? 6 wins next year? If they go 3-14, do they get a second season (or worse)?

I know you have expressed many times "if they hit on a QB", but that could be years before they have any real idea if the new rookie is a viable option. Chances are slim that PLAYER X will be CJ Stroud out of the gate. If they get a rookie QB to throw for 3200 yards with 18 TD and 15 INT, would that be considered a success?

I know people have suggested that the defense is strong and could be very good. Last year, they allowed 25 ppg to teams with their starting QBs playing and 13 ppg to teams when their opponents had to play their second or third option. Allowing 25 ppg over a full season would have made them a bottom 3-5 defense to go along with their bottom 3 offense. I know they had injuries on the defensive side of the ball, but the defense needs playmakers and reinforcements, too.

Without a good QB (or at least the hope of a good QB that is on the roster) both Mayo and Wolf will be fired within 3 years.
Just curious what has to happen and when for these two to keep their jobs in NE. If it's winning games (as Robert Kraft talks about all the time), then what is the win threshold? 6 wins next year? If they go 3-14, do they get a second season (or worse)?

I know you have expressed many times "if they hit on a QB", but that could be years before they have any real idea if the new rookie is a viable option. Chances are slim that PLAYER X will be CJ Stroud out of the gate. If they get a rookie QB to throw for 3200 yards with 18 TD and 15 INT, would that be considered a success?

I know people have suggested that the defense is strong and could be very good. Last year, they allowed 25 ppg to teams with their starting QBs playing and 13 ppg to teams when their opponents had to play their second or third option. Allowing 25 ppg over a full season would have made them a bottom 3-5 defense to go along with their bottom 3 offense. I know they had injuries on the defensive side of the ball, but the defense needs playmakers and reinforcements, too.

Kraft would be foolish if those two are graded on wins and losses this season...BB left a pile of crap on offense and there is no quick fix...add in a tough schedule and it is hard to picture a good record even if everything goes perfect...IMO it is all about stopping the bleeding and moving forward...if they nail this draft and develop players like White, Gonzalez, Pop, Sow and Mapu from last year's draft so there is a foundation to build on I will be extremely pleased...I would like to go into next offseason excited about the youth (as well as having a young QB in place) so that you are more desirable for free agents and are a quality offseason away from being in that 7 win range with the playoffs being a realistic goal in 2026.

As for the QB I will keep it simple...we will know it when we see it and I'm not overly concerned about the stats (especially since they could sit for a decent portion of the year)...my realistic goal is not to draft the next Mahomes or Stroud...I would love that but that is a very best-case scenario...I want to end this year being very optimistic that the QB we drafted can turn into a QB along the lines of a Tua/Love/Purdy...I would also be very pleased if at the end of the season we can trust that the Pats fully understand and have a smart plan on how to develop a young QB as opposed to the disaster we saw with Mac Jones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread