What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Inverse Dynasty (1 Viewer)

ddarroch4

Footballguy
Has anyone tried a dynasty league without the top players being kept. For example I'm thinking of starting a league with the top 100 players available every draft. Owners would be allowed to keep a majority of their roster but draft day would still be exciting every year. Thoughts?

I actually think an inverse dynasty is a league where you start at a particular year, then you work yourselves backwards in time, with players falling off the roster and implementing reverse rookie drafts.

Has anyone tried a dynasty league without the top players being kept. For example I'm thinking of starting a league with the top 100 players available every draft. Owners would be allowed to keep a majority of their roster but draft day would still be exciting every year. Thoughts?
I could see that being an interesting league. Start a 12-team league, and every year instead of a rookie draft have a "White Elephant draft". Any player in the entire league would be eligible, including players on other teams, with the caveat that once a player has been drafted once, he cannot be drafted again that season. Have the draft go 6 rounds, and maybe throw an extra round or two on the end for just rookies. You could add all sorts of layers to make it more interesting, too- for instance, you could add the ability to designate a "franchise player" who couldn't be poached. Or you could make it so that rookies you drafted would be untouchable for X number of years (maybe 2 for RBs, 3 for WRs/TEs, and 4 for QBs), but if those players get traded they lose their protection. It would increase the value of aging vets (MJD, Brees, Brady, Andre Johnson), increase the value of rookies (I'd be very tempted to take Trent Richardson with the #1 in that format, because 3 years of Trent trumps one year of Rice/McCoy/Foster), and decrease the value of young-but-past-rookie-protection-status studs.I wouldn't want all my leagues to be that way, but at the end of the day, it's all about what's fun, and a league like that could serve as a pretty fun change of pace.

Ya that's what I was thinking. A dynasty league where you build depth but draft day is still exciting because the top players are available.

I play in a idp league with 53 man rosters. At the start of the season, everyone has 53 players. Each week you cut 2 until week 13 eveyone is down to 27. Very challenging because we start 8 offensive, 8 defensive and pk. The top scoring QB, RB, WR, TE, DL, LB, DB are cut after the season is over leaving everyone at 20. A total of 20 players are carried over into the offseason where there is a 33 round reddraft. THen the cycle repeats.

This thread gives me a headache.

Some of you need to stop posting while drinking. TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could work. But needs to be thought out. I don't want to be the one who finds priest holmes and then be forced to "give him up" when he hits it big. Need to work that aspect of it.

I'm thinking all teams have 1 franchise player. On draft day all teams have a handful of players they can throw into the auction (anyone from another team) and teams get to keep a majority of their roster.

I'm thinking all teams have 1 franchise player. On draft day all teams have a handful of players they can throw into the auction (anyone from another team) and teams get to keep a majority of their roster.
That's not "inverse dynasty" at all.

Neat idea, needs to be worked out. Maybe you get paid based on where certain players get drafted. Like if you draft a guy in round 12 one year and he's the #1 overall pick the next year, you should earn $ or future draft picks.

The league I run sounds like what you want. It is really a keeper/dynasty league and got the idea from someone here on FBG. We love it. Every player that is drafted has the round they were drafted in as their player value (any draft pick higher than the 12th round is considered a 12th round value player). If you keep the player the next season drops their value by 2. Thus no one could be kept more than 6 years. But no one is kept that long anyway because - for every player you keep you lose your draft pick for that players value. This forces all the players picked in the 1st 2 rounds of last years draft to be put back into the draft each year (and most of the 3rd/4th round value players get tossed back as well).

Example - I drafted Greg Jennings in the 9th round three drafts ago. To keep Jennings I used my 7th rd pick two years ago, 5th rd pick last year and my 3rd pick this year. Next year I will not keep him because he is not worth the 1st round pick I would have to use to keep him. So he is available to everyone in the upcoming draft.

Users who are viewing this thread