What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (2 Viewers)

Since the Droid tablets that I've wanted haven't come to the market I'm considering getting a 2nd gen iPad unless something better comes out. (no joke) I found myself sitting with the kids on the couch a lot this weekend and watching golf/soccer and was annoyed at having my laptop there. A tablet almost seems like a necessity and I'm growing tired of seeing awesome Android concepts that never come to market. Hopefully the manufacturers get a serious one out soon.
Check and make sure there's a specific iOS app for whatever you want to watch. I've been trying to find a way to watch the World Cup on my parents' ipad but no luck. Can watch it fine on a netbook at ESPN3 but it's in Flash.

this is disappointing (yeah I know not iPad specific)

Notion Ink won't launch until November due to Investor demands. I assume the investors would rather see a strong Christmas launch.

that hands on at the end of that link is EMBARRASSING, although in it he mentions something about 2007 :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking for a laptop for the family room/kitchen and now having finally played with an ipad, I'm leaning in this direction.

If we use this for web & email and want to have 4-5 movies on there for road trips, should we be getting the 16 or 32GB?

The lack of future expandability of this is a little frustrating (vs. laptop), but for the price, it's a reasonable trade-off.

I've been looking for a laptop for the family room/kitchen and now having finally played with an ipad, I'm leaning in this direction. If we use this for web & email and want to have 4-5 movies on there for road trips, should we be getting the 16 or 32GB? The lack of future expandability of this is a little frustrating (vs. laptop), but for the price, it's a reasonable trade-off.
A full length movie in good quality will be around 1.5gb each. HD movies (waste of space on Ipad) will be around 3-4GB each.So figure 7.5GB for 5 movies. Leaves you around 8GB for apps,data,etc.If you're a packrat, get the biggest you can afford. If you can shuffle movies/music back and forth to your Ipad as needed, 16GB is fine.

I've been looking for a laptop for the family room/kitchen and now having finally played with an ipad, I'm leaning in this direction. If we use this for web & email and want to have 4-5 movies on there for road trips, should we be getting the 16 or 32GB? The lack of future expandability of this is a little frustrating (vs. laptop), but for the price, it's a reasonable trade-off.
A full length movie in good quality will be around 1.5gb each. HD movies (waste of space on Ipad) will be around 3-4GB each.So figure 7.5GB for 5 movies. Leaves you around 8GB for apps,data,etc.If you're a packrat, get the biggest you can afford. If you can shuffle movies/music back and forth to your Ipad as needed, 16GB is fine.
Thanks. this is helpfulThe tougher part will be with pictures: I have ~50GB in pictures on my desktop PC so regardless of which ipad model I go with, there will be selective syncing.

Thanks. this is helpfulThe tougher part will be with pictures: I have ~50GB in pictures on my desktop PC so regardless of which ipad model I go with, there will be selective syncing.
Have you thought of utilizing a Flickr account for storing all those pictures? They have a nice Apple app that would allow you access to all your photos in a pretty seemless manner.

Have you thought of utilizing a Flickr account for storing all those pictures? They have a nice Apple app that would allow you access to all your photos in a pretty seemless manner.
I have and use Flickr and Picasa accounts. I find Picasa much much easier and use their web albums for my 'greatest hits'. If/when I get the ipad, I'll check out the app and see how it goes. Unless the Apple-Flickr app made me breakfast, I can't picture a full switch to Flickr for main storage, but you never know. thanks.

Apparently my account was one of those in the list hacked from AT&T, where they got a list of e-mail addresses and the ICC-ID. I received this by e-mail, and then yesterday by regular mail:

June 13, 2010Dear Valued AT&T Customer,Recently there was an issue that affected some of our customers with AT&T 3G service for iPad resulting in the release of their customer email addresses. I am writing to let you know that no other information was exposed and the matter has been resolved. We apologize for the incident and any inconvenience it may have caused. Rest assured, you can continue to use your AT&T 3G service on your iPad with confidence.Here’s some additional detail:On June 7 we learned that unauthorized computer “hackers” maliciously exploited a function designed to make your iPad log-in process faster by pre-populating an AT&T authentication page with the email address you used to register your iPad for 3G service. The self-described hackers wrote software code to randomly generate numbers that mimicked serial numbers of the AT&T SIM card for iPad – called the integrated circuit card identification (ICC-ID) – and repeatedly queried an AT&T web address. When a number generated by the hackers matched an actual ICC-ID, the authentication page log-in screen was returned to the hackers with the email address associated with the ICC-ID already populated on the log-in screen.The hackers deliberately went to great efforts with a random program to extract possible ICC-IDs and capture customer email addresses. They then put together a list of these emails and distributed it for their own publicity.As soon as we became aware of this situation, we took swift action to prevent any further unauthorized exposure of customer email addresses. Within hours, AT&T disabled the mechanism that automatically populated the email address. Now, the authentication page log-in screen requires the user to enter both their email address and their password.I want to assure you that the email address and ICC-ID were the only information that was accessible. Your password, account information, the contents of your email, and any other personal information were never at risk. The hackers never had access to AT&T communications or data networks, or your iPad. AT&T 3G service for other mobile devices was not affected.While the attack was limited to email address and ICC-ID data, we encourage you to be alert to scams that could attempt to use this information to obtain other data or send you unwanted email. You can learn more about phishing by visiting the AT&T website.AT&T takes your privacy seriously and does not tolerate unauthorized access to its customers’ information or company websites. We will cooperate with law enforcement in any investigation of unauthorized system access and to prosecute violators to the fullest extent of the law.AT&T acted quickly to protect your information – and we promise to keep working around the clock to keep your information safe. Thank you very much for your understanding, and for being an AT&T customer.Sincerely,Dorothy AttwoodSenior Vice President, Public Policy and Chief Privacy Officer for AT&T
It doesn't sound like it is information that anyone can use against me, but I still wonder if there is any recourse against AT&T. Have others received this? Is it worth contacting them to complain, possibly to seek a few months free service or something like that? Does anyone know if AT&T is offering anything to the people affected?TIA

You're the lawyer. :shrug:

Played with one Saturday while buying a replacement Touch for my daughter (someone stole it). Not overly impressed, not for me, but definitely something my wife could use since a pc/laptop is too much for her.

You're the lawyer. :thumbup:

Played with one Saturday while buying a replacement Touch for my daughter (someone stole it). Not overly impressed, not for me, but definitely something my wife could use since a pc/laptop is too much for her.
Sory Otis, but that's the post of the thread

Apparently my account was one of those in the list hacked from AT&T, where they got a list of e-mail addresses and the ICC-ID. I received this by e-mail, and then yesterday by regular mail:

June 13, 2010Dear Valued AT&T Customer,Recently there was an issue that affected some of our customers with AT&T 3G service for iPad resulting in the release of their customer email addresses. I am writing to let you know that no other information was exposed and the matter has been resolved. We apologize for the incident and any inconvenience it may have caused. Rest assured, you can continue to use your AT&T 3G service on your iPad with confidence.Here’s some additional detail:On June 7 we learned that unauthorized computer “hackers” maliciously exploited a function designed to make your iPad log-in process faster by pre-populating an AT&T authentication page with the email address you used to register your iPad for 3G service. The self-described hackers wrote software code to randomly generate numbers that mimicked serial numbers of the AT&T SIM card for iPad – called the integrated circuit card identification (ICC-ID) – and repeatedly queried an AT&T web address. When a number generated by the hackers matched an actual ICC-ID, the authentication page log-in screen was returned to the hackers with the email address associated with the ICC-ID already populated on the log-in screen.The hackers deliberately went to great efforts with a random program to extract possible ICC-IDs and capture customer email addresses. They then put together a list of these emails and distributed it for their own publicity.As soon as we became aware of this situation, we took swift action to prevent any further unauthorized exposure of customer email addresses. Within hours, AT&T disabled the mechanism that automatically populated the email address. Now, the authentication page log-in screen requires the user to enter both their email address and their password.I want to assure you that the email address and ICC-ID were the only information that was accessible. Your password, account information, the contents of your email, and any other personal information were never at risk. The hackers never had access to AT&T communications or data networks, or your iPad. AT&T 3G service for other mobile devices was not affected.While the attack was limited to email address and ICC-ID data, we encourage you to be alert to scams that could attempt to use this information to obtain other data or send you unwanted email. You can learn more about phishing by visiting the AT&T website.AT&T takes your privacy seriously and does not tolerate unauthorized access to its customers’ information or company websites. We will cooperate with law enforcement in any investigation of unauthorized system access and to prosecute violators to the fullest extent of the law.AT&T acted quickly to protect your information – and we promise to keep working around the clock to keep your information safe. Thank you very much for your understanding, and for being an AT&T customer.Sincerely,Dorothy AttwoodSenior Vice President, Public Policy and Chief Privacy Officer for AT&T
It doesn't sound like it is information that anyone can use against me, but I still wonder if there is any recourse against AT&T. Have others received this? Is it worth contacting them to complain, possibly to seek a few months free service or something like that? Does anyone know if AT&T is offering anything to the people affected?TIA
What in this letter makes you think your information was acuqired? This information by itself is harmless, but it's usually some of the harder information to get when trying to mimic a user on the net. That's why most folks don't use this approach. I can't believe AT&T would come up with this solution....it's like leaving the keys to your Bentley in the ignition in Watts.

Apple has now officially sold 3 million iPads. In 80 days. Including a million in the last 3 weeks alone.

Ridiculous.

Apple has now officially sold 3 million iPads. In 80 days. Including a million in the last 3 weeks alone.

Ridiculous.
Jesus, this has to be one of the biggest successes out the gate for an electronic device...besides the evo.I knew the world would change with the intro of the iPad but had no clue it would be this quick.

Ridiculous.
Jesus, this has to be one of the biggest successes out the gate for an electronic device...besides the evo.I knew the world would change with the intro of the iPad but had no clue it would be this quick.
Whats amazing is that the real niche for the ipad hasn't even been discovered/exploited yet. Kudos to Apple.

I joined the iPad owners list today. It was a gift from my wife for Father's Day. Looking forward to checking it out later tonight. :thumbup:

Abraham said:
moderated said:
Otis said:

Ridiculous.
Whats amazing is that the real niche for the ipad hasn't even been discovered/exploited yet. Kudos to Apple.
:shrug:

Looks like iPad users might have gotten left in the cold in the security patching department.

It's possible that some of the bugs patched Monday were fixed by Apple before it launched the iPad in early April. But according to the Common Vulnerabilities & Exposures database, it's likely that many of the flaws fixed on Monday still exist in 3.2."
Apple patched a record 65 vulnerabilities in the iPhone
I don't see how that's possible since we all know that it's impossible to hack or virus Apple products.

Looks like iPad users might have gotten left in the cold in the security patching department.

It's possible that some of the bugs patched Monday were fixed by Apple before it launched the iPad in early April. But according to the Common Vulnerabilities & Exposures database, it's likely that many of the flaws fixed on Monday still exist in 3.2."
I don't see how that's possible since we all know that it's impossible to hack or virus Apple products.
:X

Funny, if Google patched half that amount we'd get the regular crew in here laughing and using large font and italics. Good times.

Pretty sure all AT&T iPad customers got one of these.

Funny, if Google patched half that amount we'd get the regular crew in here laughing and using large font and italics. Good times.
Yes and anything that has to do with MS

Just went to the Apple Store to buy Mom an iPad for her birthday, but they're STILL SOLD OUT of every iPad model. :rolleyes:

The lady said they've sold 60 in the last three days.

Just had a twilight zone episode with my iPad. I was posting to another thread and something took control of my keyboard and started typing at the same time I was. Did anyone run into this bug?

Just had a twilight zone episode with my iPad. I was posting to another thread and something took control of my keyboard and started typing at the same time I was. Did anyone run into this bug?
Huh?Bluetooth keyboard?Never seen this.

Just went to the Apple Store to buy Mom an iPad for her birthday, but they're STILL SOLD OUT of every iPad model. :thumbup: The lady said they've sold 60 in the last three days.
That's weird because apparently this thing serves no useful purpose.Haven't people figured this out? Why are they still buying them?

Just went to the Apple Store to buy Mom an iPad for her birthday, but they're STILL SOLD OUT of every iPad model. :goodposting: The lady said they've sold 60 in the last three days.
That's weird because apparently this thing serves no useful purpose.Haven't people figured this out? Why are they still buying them?
My gf loves hers :thumbup:
I've been tempted to sell mine and get back all the money I spent and then some, but the problem is I just use it too much, and there is nothing better out there for my purposes. I like the idea of the portability of Evo and iPhone4, but the much smaller screen is a huge downgrade, and would make real reading/working/browsing a whole lot less enjoyable. It's just a great device.

Otis said:
Huh?Bluetooth keyboard?Never seen this.
No, it was the keyboard on my iPad. I noticed a bunch of extra and substituted words while I was posting in the Glee thread. I put my iPad down and keys were pressed on their own with lots of clicking noises. It really freaked me out.

Just went to the Apple Store to buy Mom an iPad for her birthday, but they're STILL SOLD OUT of every iPad model. :thumbup: The lady said they've sold 60 in the last three days.
Tell them to call the Mission Valley Apple store in San Diego. I bought one for my wife ~ 10 days ago and they had plenty in stock of every model.

Just went to the Apple Store to buy Mom an iPad for her birthday, but they're STILL SOLD OUT of every iPad model. ;) The lady said they've sold 60 in the last three days.
Tell them to call the Mission Valley Apple store in San Diego. I bought one for my wife ~ 10 days ago and they had plenty in stock of every model.
or the one at South Park Mall in Charlotte...plenty there also.

We're halfway through until Ipad 2 gets released. If Apple puts a webcam on it, I'll be buying it on day one. I can live with some of the other shortcomings but a webcam would allow me to fully retire my 11" notebook for media consumption.

Thanks Fellas, no dice.

Just went to the Apple Store to buy Mom an iPad for her birthday, but they're STILL SOLD OUT of every iPad model. :goodposting: The lady said they've sold 60 in the last three days.
Called:(619) 682-3477 - Mission Valley, CA(916) 872-2506 - Sacramento, CA(916) 643-0960 - Granite Bay, CAAll sold out. Pre-orders only.
(704) 364-2205 - Charlotte, NCOnly one 64GB 3G in stock. I'm looking for the 16GB or 32GB WiFi.

Thanks Fellas, no dice.

Just went to the Apple Store to buy Mom an iPad for her birthday, but they're STILL SOLD OUT of every iPad model. :popcorn: The lady said they've sold 60 in the last three days.
Called:(619) 682-3477 - Mission Valley, CA(916) 872-2506 - Sacramento, CA(916) 643-0960 - Granite Bay, CAAll sold out. Pre-orders only.
(704) 364-2205 - Charlotte, NCOnly one 64GB 3G in stock. I'm looking for the 16GB or 32GB WiFi.
Holy crap....I was just in there a couple days ago. Sorry One.

We're halfway through until Ipad 2 gets released. If Apple puts a webcam on it, I'll be buying it on day one. I can live with some of the other shortcomings but a webcam would allow me to fully retire my 11" notebook for media consumption.
Cal,How do you know this? I wonder if we early adopters should sell while the sellin' is good. Then again, not sure how long I could do without this thing.

Thanks Fellas, no dice.

Just went to the Apple Store to buy Mom an iPad for her birthday, but they're STILL SOLD OUT of every iPad model. :rant: The lady said they've sold 60 in the last three days.
Holy crap....I was just in there a couple days ago. Sorry One.
No problem. I'm not sure this will get done by her vacation. (Wednesday night) If it were for me I'd go Craigslist, but I feel pretty lame buying a used model for her birthday.I did get on a list at 2 Apple Stores though. Hopefully one of those come through.

getting closer and closer to getting one of these. so fn sick of dealing with my buggy desktop and laptop.

Cal,How do you know this? I wonder if we early adopters should sell while the sellin' is good. Then again, not sure how long I could do without this thing.
Just so I'm clear, Apple has announced nothing about new Ipad release date. I'm just going by their release "schedule" as I've followed their products for awhile now.New Iphones are released every June.

New Ipods are released every September.

I'd be willing to bet the farm that new Ipads will be every January.

It's pretty savvy business/marketing wise. They don't cluster releases and now with the Ipad, they can release a new iOS product every couple of months.

Just so I'm clear, Apple has announced nothing about new Ipad release date. I'm just going by their release "schedule" as I've followed their products for awhile now.New Iphones are released every June.

New Ipods are released every September.

I'd be willing to bet the farm that new Ipads will be every January.

It's pretty savvy business/marketing wise. They don't cluster releases and now with the Ipad, they can release a new iOS product every couple of months.
The one caveat to this would be a January release date really misses the Christmas buying season. I could see an April release though.

For what its worth they were sold out a saturday in NJ when I went in to buy mine. Went on the waiting list they said could take 7-10 days. They called me two days later with one waiting for me.

Also if anyone was looking to listen to sirius/xm streaming without having to use the app. Pocket tunes is the answer. You must have a paid subscription to sirius, but it gives you access to every sirius/xm station, and about 1000 more internet radio stations. Great app for 4.99

Users who are viewing this thread