What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is a "mint" candy? (1 Viewer)

Is a mint a candy?

• Yes

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 35.7%

• Total voters
Hooper31 said:
Does it contain high fructose corn syrup? If so, I say yes.
By this logic most breads are candy.
No one has ever handed me some bread and said "here, have a mint". Are we not talking about an object called a mint?
If you imply something is a candy merely because it has HFCS in it, it is perfectly reasonable to ask if all things with HFCS in it are therefore candy.

Hooper31 said:
No one has ever handed me some bread and said "here, have a mint". Are we not talking about an object called a mint?
If you imply something is a candy merely because it has HFCS in it, it is perfectly reasonable to ask if all things with HFCS in it are therefore candy.
I believe the "it" in Hooper's sentence referred to "mint." So, I think Hooper was implying that if a mint contains high fructose corn syrup then it is, in his opinion, correctly classified as a candy.

Hooper31 said:
I believe the "it" in Hooper's sentence referred to "mint." So, I think Hooper was implying that if a mint contains high fructose corn syrup then it is, in his opinion, correctly classified as a candy.
No, can't be true. If I drink a Coke, I'm candy.

Hooper31 said:
No, can't be true. If I drink a Coke, I'm candy.
:lmao:

Hooper31 said:
Yes, I'm aware. But that surely can't be his only criteria is what I'm getting at. Was curious to see if he had some other reasonings.

Was curious to see if he had some other reasonings.
No. I was under the impression we were only discussing one of these. By what definition is this not a candy? I assume its made with a boat load of sugar. If that's not a candy, well, okay. I disagree. In my mind the added HFCS makes it a candy. No sense in debating it. Might as well argue over the merits of a snicker bar. Or perhaps see how many people you can engage in debate for the sake of entertainment.

can·dy
ˈkandē/
noun
noun: candy; plural noun: candies; noun: sugar candy; plural noun: sugar candies
  1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a sweet food made with sugar or syrup combined with fruit, chocolate, or nuts.
    "a candy bar"
    synonyms: bonbon, confectionery, sweet "chocolate candy"
    • sugar crystallized by repeated boiling and slow evaporation.
verb
verb: candy; 3rd person present: candies; past tense: candied; past participle:candied; gerund or present participle: candying
  1. 1.
    preserve (fruit) by coating and impregnating it with a sugar syrup.
    "candied fruit"
Origin
mid 17th century (as a verb): the noun use is from late Middle English sugar-candy, from French sucre candi ‘crystallized sugar,’ from Arabic sukkar ‘sugar’ + qandī ‘candied,’ based on Sanskrit khaṇḍa ‘fragment.’

Users who are viewing this thread