What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Matt Forte the safest RB outside the top 3? (1 Viewer)

And, in deep leagues, the WW option won't work. I play in 2 dynasty leagues, and Goodson, Jones, and Reece are owned in one, with all but Reece owned in the other one. I play in 1 redraft league, but we go 20 players (12 teams, no IDP), and I can all but guarantee Goodson and Jones will be drafted in that league. If you are in a small, or non-competitive, league, you can work the WW and pick up viable RBs off the WW, but in deeper leagues, it isn't that easy.
What do dynasty leagues have to do with this?

And, in deep leagues, the WW option won't work. I play in 2 dynasty leagues, and Goodson, Jones, and Reece are owned in one, with all but Reece owned in the other one. I play in 1 redraft league, but we go 20 players (12 teams, no IDP), and I can all but guarantee Goodson and Jones will be drafted in that league. If you are in a small, or non-competitive, league, you can work the WW and pick up viable RBs off the WW, but in deeper leagues, it isn't that easy.
I was making the point that "draft McFadden, and just pick up his backup when it becomes clear who that is," or "draft McFadden, and just pick up a WW RB if he gets hurt" aren't solid strategies in all leagues (mainly larger/deeper/more competitive leagues).Hint-It was the final sentence of the earlier post. HTH.

I was making the point that "draft McFadden, and just pick up his backup when it becomes clear who that is," or "draft McFadden, and just pick up a WW RB if he gets hurt" aren't solid strategies in all leagues (mainly larger/deeper/more competitive leagues).Hint-It was the final sentence of the earlier post. HTH.
This wasn't a strategy that was ever meant for dynasty. Of course dynasty leagues have greater roster sizes and on top of that, who is drafting McFadden in a dynasty unless it's a start up? The only RB other than McFadden that even shows up in mocks and is Goodson with an ADP of round 13. Getting McFadden's handcuff is easy. Pick up Goodson if you will and drop him for the other guy if he emerges. You are making this complicated when it's not.

I am loving the "he didnt get goal opps last year, so he can't get any less this year" argument.

Nothing against Forte, and i love his 4 to 5 catches a game, but if i am drafting 4th overall, I prefer my backs to get goal line looks.

The problem with CJ is that while he will end up with decent end of the year stats, they aren't spread out very well. A ton of variance in the amount he scores. Start him every week and get 3 weeks of mediocre and then one week where you would beat everyone in the league.I believe CJ will end up with fairly similar stats to Forte, but I'd much rather have the consistent producer than the guy that has a giant week followed by duds. Awesome in best ball format however, like guys such as Desean Jackson.
the problem with cj last year was that he was just absolutely woeful on a per game basis. he climbed the overall rankings bc he was healthy and fed a workload for every game. as bayhawks said, it would have much better to own a higher per game rb that missed a few (or even many) weeks bc the replacement you plug likely did about as well as cj for that stretch.

In deep leagues I'd say getting the backup for a stud RB with an injury history is a must. A few of us in here started a 32-team dynasty auction league and I won Forte. I didn't win Michael Bush but ended up winning Hillis, and eventually traded Hillis for Bush. I knew I was giving up a higher ranked RB, but for the piece of mind, in this format, I felt it was worth it. I can understand if others disagree, though.

'jurb26 said:
'Bayhawks said:
'jurb26 said:
'Bayhawks said:
This wasn't a strategy that was ever meant for dynasty. Of course dynasty leagues have greater roster sizes and on top of that, who is drafting McFadden in a dynasty unless it's a start up? The only RB other than McFadden that even shows up in mocks and is Goodson with an ADP of round 13. Getting McFadden's handcuff is easy. Pick up Goodson if you will and drop him for the other guy if he emerges. You are making this complicated when it's not.
Please point out where in this thread it was posted that we are not talking about dynasty leagues, or about small roster sizes. Thanks.I'm not making it complicated at all. McFadden is one of the highest risk/reward RB picks out there. Suggesting that that risk is easily negated by "picking up his backup off the WW" is ridiculous. As you yourself pointed out, his primary backup is already being drafted, so how is he going to be picked up off the WW? Also, how do we know Goodson is going to carry the same load DMC did? (We don't) How are going to know Goodson is going to put up serviceable numbers if/when DMC goes down? (We don't) Unlike previous years when we knew Bush was McFadden's handcuff, that Bush would get the full load if DMC was hurt, and that Bush was perfectly capable of putting of good/great numbers, that security isn't there. That makes McFadden a VERY risky pick, and that risk isn't negated by handcuffing him.

'dickey moe said:
'Bayhawks said:
'jurb26 said:
'Bayhawks said:
In deep leagues I'd say getting the backup for a stud RB with an injury history is a must. A few of us in here started a 32-team dynasty auction league and I won Forte. I didn't win Michael Bush but ended up winning Hillis, and eventually traded Hillis for Bush. I knew I was giving up a higher ranked RB, but for the piece of mind, in this format, I felt it was worth it. I can understand if others disagree, though.
Agree 100% Your story confirms my point; it's not as easy as "picking up McFadden's backup off the WW." You traded a better RB in order to acquire a handcuff. With RBs, handcuffs are important (especially in deeper leagues), but acquiring them isn't as easy as it's been suggested.

'dickey moe said:
'Bayhawks said:
'jurb26 said:
'Bayhawks said:
Agree 100% Your story confirms my point; it's not as easy as "picking up McFadden's backup off the WW." You traded a better RB in order to acquire a handcuff. With RBs, handcuffs are important (especially in deeper leagues), but acquiring them isn't as easy as it's been suggested.
Its definitely somewhere in between a waiver and trading for him in a 32 team league...Closer to waiver. In 2 of the 3 drafts (12 team) ive done so far, Mcfadden was the only Oakland RB drafted.Hes obviously worth more than that though given Mcfadden's history, but Goodson hasnt shown a thing in the past to suggest hes even worth a bench slot to a Mcfadden owner.

Hes obviously worth more than that though given Mcfadden's history, but Goodson hasnt shown a thing in the past to suggest hes even worth a bench slot to a Mcfadden owner.
He started a game against the Ravens the year that Claussen was QB and ran for over 100 yards. Ran for over 100 in the other game he started that year too. In fact, he may have had 100 yards in every career start of his.

Hes obviously worth more than that though given Mcfadden's history, but Goodson hasnt shown a thing in the past to suggest hes even worth a bench slot to a Mcfadden owner.
He started a game against the Ravens the year that Claussen was QB and ran for over 100 yards. Ran for over 100 in the other game he started that year too. In fact, he may have had 100 yards in every career start of his.
Sounds a lot like that Jerome Harrison guy, who starts nowhere in the NFL.

'dickey moe said:
'Bayhawks said:
'jurb26 said:
'Bayhawks said:
Its definitely somewhere in between a waiver and trading for him in a 32 team league...Closer to waiver. In 2 of the 3 drafts (12 team) ive done so far, Mcfadden was the only Oakland RB drafted.Hes obviously worth more than that though given Mcfadden's history, but Goodson hasnt shown a thing in the past to suggest hes even worth a bench slot to a Mcfadden owner.
Mind if I ask what size (roster) leagues those were?You say it's closer to a waiver pick in those leagues, but the point still remains: what are FF owners going to get out of Goodson? Is he going to put up comparable stats to what Bush did (which when DMC was out, were often worthy of a Rd 1 RB), or is he going to be part of a RBBC? Situations change. Last year, If you had Mathews and Tolbert, you knew that if injury struck one, the other would be THE GUY. And you know if you had Bush and DMC went down, Bush would do well in his absence. Now, in SD, you have a 3-way RBBC trying to replace an injured Mathews, and you could have the same in Oakland if DMC gets hurt. That IS NOT a good replacement for the #4 pick in the draft.

Anyone factoring in that Mike Martz is out? Should be hell to Forte's targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mind if I ask what size (roster) leagues those were?You say it's closer to a waiver pick in those leagues, but the point still remains: what are FF owners going to get out of Goodson? Is he going to put up comparable stats to what Bush did (which when DMC was out, were often worthy of a Rd 1 RB), or is he going to be part of a RBBC? Situations change. Last year, If you had Mathews and Tolbert, you knew that if injury struck one, the other would be THE GUY. And you know if you had Bush and DMC went down, Bush would do well in his absence. Now, in SD, you have a 3-way RBBC trying to replace an injured Mathews, and you could have the same in Oakland if DMC gets hurt. That IS NOT a good replacement for the #4 pick in the draft.
Almost all leagues I play in are 18+ roster size with either a deep bench or a bigger roster with same size bench.

I'm warming up to taking Forte in PPR scoring in round 1. He was 4th in RB scoring in my league thru week 13 (ahead of MJD who was 6th) last year. Getting M. Bush as a handcuff is imperative and his adp is around the 8th round.

Don't see why his targets would fall:2008- 63 catches2009- 572010- 512011- 52Martz became OC in 2010
Brandon Marshall is going to get a ton of targets, some of which will likely come at Forte's expense. The offense will look totally different this year. With all of the new faces in Chicago, the offense might not run through Forte to the extent that it has in the past.

When did people get the impression Michael Bush is anything but some mediocre backup? I don't see him stealing much work from Forte.

'Dr. Awesome said:
When did people get the impression Michael Bush is anything but some mediocre backup? I don't see him stealing much work from Forte.
Yea, his ADP is too high, IMO. Nothing but a handcuff.Tate at least performs almost enough to warrant flex consideration every week, even with Foster going off.

'Dr. Awesome said:
Yea, his ADP is too high, IMO. Nothing but a handcuff.Tate at least performs almost enough to warrant flex consideration every week, even with Foster going off.
:no:Tate is garbage unless Foster is hurt (RB 50 last year in PPG when Foster was in the lineup). If Bush gets the goal-line carries, he'll be better than that.

'Dr. Awesome said:
:no:Tate is garbage unless Foster is hurt (RB 50 last year in PPG when Foster was in the lineup). If Bush gets the goal-line carries, he'll be better than that.
I haven't followed much football in the offseason. Has there been a lot of talk by the coaches of giving Bush goal line work since Forte signed his contract? Or is this just typical seasonal paranoia of a backup stealing touches?

'Dr. Awesome said:
:no: Tate is garbage unless Foster is hurt (RB 50 last year in PPG when Foster was in the lineup). If Bush gets the goal-line carries, he'll be better than that.
I haven't followed much football in the offseason. Has there been a lot of talk by the coaches of giving Bush goal line work since Forte signed his contract? Or is this just typical seasonal paranoia of a backup stealing touches?
They used Barber as the short yardage guy last year, and at this point Bush > MBIII. Forte's a good all-around RB, but short yardage isn't exactly a strength of his. Bush isn't nearly the player that Forte is, but he is a bulldozer.

'Dr. Awesome said:
:no: Tate is garbage unless Foster is hurt (RB 50 last year in PPG when Foster was in the lineup). If Bush gets the goal-line carries, he'll be better than that.
They used Barber as the short yardage guy last year, and at this point Bush > MBIII. Forte's a good all-around RB, but short yardage isn't exactly a strength of his. Bush isn't nearly the player that Forte is, but he is a bulldozer.
So it's just pre-season worries?

Lovie Smith said there was going to be a rotation of backs.

Lovie also said that Bush will be their short yardage and goal line back, because he is better than Forte at both.

This was during training camp. So far I dont believe Bush or Forte have touched the ball yet.

I can see him being a late first round pick in a PPR. In a non-ppr, his lack of scoring opportunities is pretty much a deal breaker for me in the 1st. I would love him as my RB2.

There's no such thing as a safer running back. They're durable until they're not, and you just don't know when that will be. Make your pick based on talent and situation, cuz we're all rolling the dice on injuries.

Don't see why his targets would fall:2008- 63 catches2009- 572010- 512011- 52Martz became OC in 2010
Brandon Marshall is going to get a ton of targets, some of which will likely come at Forte's expense. The offense will look totally different this year. With all of the new faces in Chicago, the offense might not run through Forte to the extent that it has in the past.
I think Marshall being there is going to help Forte tremendously. Forte has been productive in the past being in a one dimensional offense where he was the defenses focus. Now, he'll have a little more room to run, on handoffs AND on screens.

Yeah, this is a concern.
RB Michael Bush rushed five times for 21 yards and vultured 2 TDs from starter Matt Forte on Saturday.Bears OC Mike Tice confirmed that RB Michael Bush will receive the "bulk" of the red zone work this season. Bush goes 6’1, 245 pounds and scored on 7 of 14 carries from inside the 5-yard line with the Raiders last year. Now Bush is stepping into a role that produced 6 TDs for Marion Barber in 2011. Bush is a good bet to exceed that mark this season.

Almost all leagues I play in are 18+ roster size with either a deep bench or a bigger roster with same size bench.
Just completed a serious money league draft last night. McFadden went 1.08 in a 19 round PPR/flex league. Goodson was the only other Oak RB taken and he went in the 19th rd to, the McFadden owner.

Just completed a serious money league draft last night. McFadden went 1.08 in a 19 round PPR/flex league. Goodson was the only other Oak RB taken and he went in the 19th rd to, the McFadden owner.
Could you show the draft please?

Could you show the draft please?
Not sure if the link works well. But it's there.

I like Forte this year in a PPR. His TD's might be capped at 6-8 because of Bush. He will get alot of yards both rushing and recieving to make up for the lack of TD's. I rank Forte around 6 or 7 spot. I would take Calvin WR, Johnnson RB before him. If MJD ends his holdout I would put him before Forte.

4. CJ2K

5. MJD

6. Forte

7. McFadden

You have to start considering Jamaal Charles back in this group as well. Stephen Jackson also looking very good.

Right off the bat, let me suggest that calling Chris Johnson "CJ2K" is a little comical. Yes, he's had a 2000 yard rushing season. Upon giving himself that moniker, however, he failed somewhat in his goal. "CJ1.2K" would be a little closer to accurate. Once we can put aside our frustration with the production of CJ1.2K not being otherworldly, I think there is a very valid argument to be made that he represents some "safety" (to the extent that term can be used for any RB) that is at least equivalent to Forte's. Honestly, Johnson's worst season by far (2011) was measurably better than Forte's in 2009.

To be sure, at times CJ1.2K is physically painful to watch trying to run. We draft stats, not aesthetics though. If both are available to me with the 8th pick of my next draft, I'm taking CJ1.2K. The only legit knock on the guy is the lack of consistency. My hope is that having a full off-season with the new staff will help that somewhat. Plus the Titans likely start a 2nd year QB. Those guys tend to like safety valves. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Yeah, this is a concern.
RB Michael Bush rushed five times for 21 yards and vultured 2 TDs from starter Matt Forte on Saturday.Bears OC Mike Tice confirmed that RB Michael Bush will receive the "bulk" of the red zone work this season. Bush goes 6’1, 245 pounds and scored on 7 of 14 carries from inside the 5-yard line with the Raiders last year. Now Bush is stepping into a role that produced 6 TDs for Marion Barber in 2011. Bush is a good bet to exceed that mark this season.
Bush on pace for 64 TDs.

Yeah, this is a concern.
Bush on pace for 64 TDs.
That's just stupid, he won't get more than 50.

Users who are viewing this thread