What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Micheal Irvin the single most annoying commentator ever? (1 Viewer)

Rovers

Footballguy
A couple of weeks ago I thought Marshall Faulk was going to jump over the desk and beat his ####.

This dillweed is an attention grabbing know nothing. He ALWAYS talks over other commentators. He has zero respect for anyone else. What makes it worse is that he has no insight. He's that loud drunk in the bar that everyone wishes would go away... or go curl up and die in a dumpster.

He constantly talks over his partners, and Sanders is almost as bad. The two of them make the NFL network shows unwatchable. I used to think the CBS crew had too many loose cannons. They are a model of cohesiveness compared to these NFLNW clowns.

Rant over... for now. Till next week.

The whole NFL Network team is awful.
Sharper and Heath Evans are also tedious :X ... Evans looks to be permanently over-caffeinated; and Sharper makes Emmitt Smith sound like Sir Laurence Olivier.Diction down? :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't watch the evening show with Deion, but I like their a.m. Sunday show. Maybe it's formatted differently than the p.m. show, but there's very little talking-over-each-other going on. Sapp & Warner are very good, IMO, and Irvin's not too irritating. Maybe Deion turns the night-time version into chaos?

I also like the First On The Field show that comes on at 7 a.m. with Stark, Sterling, LT, and Lombardi.

Irvin is Irvin..he at most he should be on for a minute or two at a time. The more he speaks the dumber he sounds. A tidbit here and there and he is OK.

When Sanders first came on he was very good and always gave solid insight. Now it has turned into a loud circus with Sanders talking over everybody screaming CAAAM..and PAY DA MAN!! Then when Mooch is on with both of them he tries to outscream Sanders with his fake enthusiasm and it is unwatchable.

I don't know why, but I really hate when Irvin grasps somebody's arm or hand when he's trying to interject a point. Just like, get the F off me man.

I like the whole morning crew. They have fun and are way better than espn. Love how mooch cuts loose and can hang too. Hilarious

He is horrible. Last night calling Blount, Blunt, as in put down the Blunt when replaying Blount's failed attempts to score from the 1. Not once but twice. Irvin is the worst. Bad voice, mannerisms, and insight. I guess he thinks the glasses make him look professorial. He's an ###.

How is it that the NFLNW execs don't see how bad Irvin is? If I were the producer, and wasn't empowered to fire him, I'd turn his microphone off during the highlight recaps at the very least. This network thinks screaming, yelling and talking over other commentators is somehow entertaining.

I used to think Bradshaw was over the top on the CBS pre game show. In comparison, he's William F. Buckley now.

The morning show is better, much better but Sapp also annoys the heck out of me.

I want to see Faulk bust Irvin in the nose soooo badly. He's already given him looks to kill recently, just wondering how long Faulk will tolerate it.

Apparently I'm in the minority but I prefer NFL Network's Sunday AM crew to ESPN's by a mile. I hated Irvin the player and his Cowboys teams but I find his energy and enthusiasm on the NFL Network set to be real and not some contrived act like Berman on ESPN.

I just emailed the NFLNW about Irvin. Maybe... maybe... if they get enough negative feedback, they might consider getting rid of this drug addict empty barrel? Naw, but it's a comforting thought. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and Irvin's is wasted.

Man, glad to see others chiming in on this, I have been saying it for years. How bad do you have to suck as an announcer to get fired from ESPN! lol

He is the worst, only Sapp, Smith and Dickerson were/are in this category of suckatude.

I guess this is the thread to ##### about NFL Network personalities. I find Lindsay Rhodes voice really annoying, I'm not even tempted to watch Total Access anymore.

'pbandy1 said:
I guess this is the thread to ##### about NFL Network personalities. I find Lindsay Rhodes voice really annoying, I'm not even tempted to watch Total Access anymore.
Agreed. More Kara Henderson less Lindsay Soto.

Mayock is the worst.
Why? He's one of the few who seems to actually know what he's talking about. I generally like coaches as analysts because they see it from a particular perspective. QBs tend to have interesting analysis too, although I tend to think Marino and Esiason don't lay down good analysis anymore (maybe it needs to be from a "same era" QB). I don't think you should get a job because you are a personality, like Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp.

I don't watch the evening show with Deion, but I like their a.m. Sunday show. Maybe it's formatted differently than the p.m. show, but there's very little talking-over-each-other going on. Sapp & Warner are very good, IMO, and Irvin's not too irritating. Maybe Deion turns the night-time version into chaos?

I also like the First On The Field show that comes on at 7 a.m. with Stark, Sterling, LT, and Lombardi.
:thumbup:

I know a lot of people don't like Mayock, I always have. In fact there aren't many that I don't like. Gruden doesn't bother me. Neither does Jaws. Berman, meh, but I would not complain about him either. Irvin on the other hand makes me want to jump into the TV and pummel him.

Mayock. Never. Shuts. Up.

On TNF he babbles. He makes up words. He does know what he's talking about, but his knowledge would be better served by doing in-game short reports. He's terrible in the booth.

Rich Eisen has turned out to be the most annoying to me. He beats things to death. All he ever does is bring up the flavor of the day. Favre, Tebow, etc. I doubt the guy even watches the games. After a while, I'd like to watch a show that actually talks about some football instead of gossip and garbage. They need to retool badly. Half their people need to go.

NFL exec: Hey, what do you think our audience wants in a show?

NFLNW Producer: Good question. Let's go find out what they do when they watch football somewhere.

The two walk into a bar for the Sunday night game. Most of the patrons have been there since the 1 o'clock games, and their home team is playing now.

NFL exec: Wow, they sure are boisterous. They scream over each other and no one listens to anyone else.

NFLNW Producer: I think we have a formula here. Let's hire Micheal Irvin, and then....

No, Chucky is by far the most obnoxious and annoying in my book.

By the way, Chucky is Jon Gruden. I can't stand him!

I just emailed the NFLNW about Irvin. Maybe... maybe... if they get enough negative feedback, they might consider getting rid of this drug addict empty barrel? Naw, but it's a comforting thought. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and Irvin's is wasted.
All the cocaine has fried Irvin's brain

Mayock. Never. Shuts. Up. On TNF he babbles. He makes up words. He does know what he's talking about, but his knowledge would be better served by doing in-game short reports. He's terrible in the booth.
I'm a Mayock fan but you have a point. He analyzes too much. His producer (director, whoever) should advise him that less is more, especially on a three hour + game broadcast.

'Rovers said:
I don't think he's still on drugs.

You guys aren't thinking far enough afield. Nobody on NFL Network (or any football announcer, for that matter) is as annoying as **** Vitale. Sorry, they just aren't. :X :no:

I haven't noticed Faulk having an issue with Irvin...what has Irvin said that Faulk didn't like? I'm gonna have to pay attention more now.

...what has Irvin said that Faulk didn't like?
"Greatest show on turf my ###! You #####es was soft, yo! Hell, my Cowboys would smack you right in the effin' mouth and hang a 40 spot on ya! Your qb was a ####in' grocery bagger! My boy Troy had da pedigree! We all triplets be in da HALL"

Michael Irvin is the most annoying and that's tough to beat in that cast! Faulk and Eisen are pretty good, but it's hard to watch the others.

My question about NFL Network is: How did LaDanian Tomlinson get past his first tryout? He was a great player, but he obviously is not good at talking about the game. I cringe while he does his segments. Very similar to the year Emmitt Smith was on (was it CBS?)

Jonathan Vilma on radio yesterday. Not sure what his goals are after his playing days are over, but he sounded very professional and could probably be a good analyst. Doubt it would be NFL that hires him though after all the legal battles over the "bounty-gate"...

My question about NFL Network is: How did LaDanian Tomlinson get past his first tryout? He was a great player, but he obviously is not good at talking about the game. I cringe while he does his segments.
Really? I think LT brings a lot to the table. True, he's not very polished but I think he has substance.

My question about NFL Network is: How did LaDanian Tomlinson get past his first tryout? He was a great player, but he obviously is not good at talking about the game. I cringe while he does his segments.
Really? I think LT brings a lot to the table. True, he's not very polished but I think he has substance.
Maybe I need to see more of LT2. I don't watch a lot of that channel (for many of the reasons people posted here), but I've seen LT2 a few times and felt sorry for him as he seemed to struggle.

I haven't noticed Faulk having an issue with Irvin...what has Irvin said that Faulk didn't like? I'm gonna have to pay attention more now.
It was Faulk's turn to talk, and Irvin (and Sanders to a lesser degree) would not shut up. The camera was on Faulk and Irvin kept yapping... he wasn't even saying anything coherent, just yapping. Faulk was obviously getting PO'd. Shot Irvin a few dirty looks to no avail. I thought for sure the director would talk to Irvin about it, but apparently not. I guess Faulk is too professional to just tell Irvin to shut the F up, but someone has to stuff a sock in his mouth. Honestly, they should just turn his microphone off.

Users who are viewing this thread