What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Ron Rivera stupid or lying? (1 Viewer)

http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=14454044&cid=16

fact check: rivera's tall talesp of a buccaneer 8-Man Box

by southtunnel on Sep 11, 2012 4:31 PM EDT

After Carolina's ugly 16-10 loss to the Buccaneers, head coach Ron Rivera was asked in his presser, why he got away from the run so early. Rivera had this to say...

"Well, they put 8 in the box for the most part. If you look at what they did, they were saying 'we're going to force you to throw the ball and become one dimensional'. To continue to pound it, the next thing you know you're in 2nd and 10 or 12, as opposed to if you're throwing the ball you have a chance to be 2nd a 5 or 4. So we tried to adjust to what they did, and one of our adjustments was to try and throw the ball ... If you go back and look at what they were doing, putting those 8 guys in the box, and some of what we do is an option run pass, the decision was to throw the ball on the QB's part too"

I remembered Tampa bringing the house at Cam at times, so when I heard this I took Rivera at his word. And this led me to a theory that poor play calling was more at fault than the O-line, who had been taking most of the blame. But the only way to be certain was to fact check Rivera, and go through each offensive snap to analyze the Buc's rush. So that's exactly what I did... After the jump...

I've put the details below. I could be a man off here or there, and they were moving around so much that it was difficult sometimes to gauge how they were lined up. However for the most part this should be accurate. While the Buc's did put more than 4 in the box quite often, I didn't see an obvious 8 in the box at all. Sorry Ron, but you misspoke like a politician at a national convention. Of course in his defense, he did just travel from the host city of the DNC, to the host city of the RNC. So maybe the fact twisting rubbed off on him.

What I found out was that on average the Bucs put 5 defenders in the box, and on average rushed 5. That sounds simple enough, except for the fact that they only put 5 in the box and rushed 5, 6 times. What this means is that Schiano put together a very active and diverse defensive rotation. DE's, Safeties and LB's were stepping up to and away from the line of scrimmage on every play. It was pretty common to see 7 at the line of scrimmage with 4 dropping back, and the next play only 4 at the line of scrimmage but with 3 additional blitzers. I can see how a newbie like Amini Silatolu would have been thoroughly confused.

Speaking of Silatolu, I noticed McCoy drop out of the box a few times, causing Amini to slide over to double the other DT. But then at the snap McCoy would rush anyways, leaving Amini completely out of position to block him.

Most importantly I noticed that while the O-line was not performing as well as they should, most of the time the QB pressure came with more than 4 rushing. For example, Cam was sacked on the offenses 3rd series when the Bucs rushed 7 defenders. Cam was nearly sacked just before the half, but scrambled for no gain after they put 7in the box and rushed 6. And on Cam's second INT that he said was "disgusting", he responded quickly after the Bucs rushed 6.

If you want to attempt to decipher my chicken scratch of notes, here are all the offensive snaps (assuming I didn't miss one :) ). The 1st number is the down. "Rush" includes the blitz, and if it doesn't say how are many are in the box, then they rushed only those at the line of scrimmage.

1st Series

1 - rush 4, run for loss

2 - rush 4, pass complete to Olsen, 1st down

1 - rush 4, run for loss

2 - 7 box rush 5, pass dropped by Olsen

3 - 7 box rush 3, deep pass incomplete

2nd Series

1 - rush 4, run for 2 yards

2 - 5 box rush 4, pass complete to Olsen

3 - 6 box rush 5, pass tipped incomplete

3rd Series

1 - rush 4, complete to Murphy 1st down

1 - rush 4, pass complete to DWill in flat for 1st down (where was this the rest of the game?)

1 - 6 box, run for 8 yds

2 - 4 box rush 7, pass complete to Tolbert for a loss

3 - rush 5, pass compete to Smith for 30yds

1 - rush 5, pass complete to Murphy for 1yd

2 - 7 box rush 7, Newton sacked

3 - 6 box rush 6, deep pass incomplete

4th Series

1 - rush 4, pass complete Smith 1st down

1 - 4 box rush 6, pass complete Smith 1st down

1 - rush 4, pressure but pass complete to Tolbert for a loss

2 - rush 4, pressure, Cam scrambles for 2 yd run

3 - rush 3, pass complete to LaFell 1st down

1 - rush 3, pass complete to Olsen

1 - 7 box rush 6, pressure, Cam scrambles for no gain

2 - 7 box, false start offense

3 - 7 box rush 6, pressure, deep pass incomplete

HALF

1st Series

1 - rush 4, complete Smith

2 - 6 box rush 3, complt Olsen 1D

1 - 5 box rush 4, complt Smith 1D

1 - 5 box rush 4, complt LaFell TD

2nd Series

1 - rush 5, run DWill for 1yd

2 - 5 box rush 6, pass complete to Olsen 1st down

1 - rush 4, run DWill for 5yd

2 - 5 box rush 4, Cam scrambles for no gain

3 - 7 box rush 6, Cam scrambles for 15 yardsd 1st down

1 - 6 box rush 6, deep pass INT

3rd Series

1 - rush 5, pass complete to LaFell 1st down

1 - rush 5, run DWill for loss

2 - rush 4, pass complete to Olsen

3 - 5 box rush 6, deep pass incomplete

4th Series

1 - 5 box rush 4, Cam almost sacked

2 - rush 5, pressure pass incomplete

3 - rush 3, decent protection but Cam holds the ball too long and fumbles

5th Series

1 - rush 4, pressure, pass complete to Tolbert 1st down

1 - rush 4, pass complete to Murphy for 51 yards

1 - 4 box rush 7, pass complete to Smith

2 - rush 4, pass complete to Smith

1 - 5 box rush 7, Cam runs for 4 yards

2 - rush 4, pass incomplete

3 - rush 4, Cam runs for no gain

The content of these posts are those of the user/fan making the post only

68 comments  |  Add comment  |  5 recs  | 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's a chronic liar. Yea, I said it.

He also said Greg Olsen is in the same class as Gronkowski and Graham, among other things....

I think Rivera is doing the opposite of what the Packers have been doing lately. That is to say, instead of putting the blame on his own players, he is trying to make it seem like he is "tipping his cap" to the opponent. He basically is trying to take the heat off his players.

Not to sidetrack or hijack, but what I meant by the Packers comment is that they pretty much have said "the (49ers/Giants) didn't beat us, we made mistakes..." To a point that is players/coaches taking ownership for a loss. On the other hand, it is refusing to acknowledge any possibility that there are opponents capable of beating you.

Either position, if taken at face value and 100% of the time is not a good idea. In Rivera's case (presuming he really believes that) he is allowing the O-line and RBs "off easy" - not holding them accountable. In the Packers case, it sounds whiny at best and also runs the risk of dismissing the talent of opposing teams to the point of "over confidence".

I think he's just stupid. I think he sees 8 in the box and radios in a pass but doesn't realize 2-3 of those guys are dropping in coveage. I think schiano just totally gamed him.

I think he's just stupid. I think he sees 8 in the box and radios in a pass but doesn't realize 2-3 of those guys are dropping in coveage. I think schiano just totally gamed him.
That is what it sounds like to me also. If the coach does not realize what the opposing defense is really doing then the QB may not know for sure either, as so also most of the team.It was a note worthy defensive effort by the Bucs. 9 tackles for loss on 13 rushing attempts and an uncle. I would like to say that the Bucs defense is this good but I think a share of the problem is with the game planning, mid-game adjustments, option plays are gadgety and can get stuffed by lane disciplined run defense.This of course then falls on Cam who did not overcome the game plan and was likely convincing Rivera that they have 8 in the box all the time too. They had a long time to prepare for this game. It looks like they didn't change enough from last season and the Bucs were much better prepared.

Stupid question on my part, but does Ron Rivera call plays in CAR?

I don't think that the guy that wrote the article understands what "in the box" means. Is he really contending that TB went with a dime defense most of the game? I seriously doubt this.

This is the other aspect of the all-22 tape being released for public consumption: idiots that have no clue what they're talking about spouting off a bunch of non-sense just because they have access to the all-22.

So what he's saying is that pseudo pressure pretty much made CAR's offensive line fold? Interesting.

Also, I say both plus he's oblivious. When all three combine they make for one hell of a combination.

I don't think that the guy that wrote the article understands what "in the box" means. Is he really contending that TB went with a dime defense most of the game? I seriously doubt this.

This is the other aspect of the all-22 tape being released for public consumption: idiots that have no clue what they're talking about spouting off a bunch of non-sense just because they have access to the all-22.
:goodposting: The author of the article claims that the Bucs "on average put 5 defenders in the box." TB runs a 4-3 as their base, so they will have 4 down linemen in the box on virtually every play (except obvious passing plays like 3rd and long or Hail Mary situations). So the author is contending that the Bucs dropped 2 LBs on almost every play, as well as keeping both safeties and both corners deep/in coverage. I haven't watched the tape, but I doubt that is actually what happened.

I don't think that the guy that wrote the article understands what "in the box" means. Is he really contending that TB went with a dime defense most of the game? I seriously doubt this.This is the other aspect of the all-22 tape being released for public consumption: idiots that have no clue what they're talking about spouting off a bunch of non-sense just because they have access to the all-22.
Yeah, I agree. Firstly, that a defender in man coverage going with his man if he runs a route doesn't change whether he was there in the box for run defense.Secondly, "8 in the box" in this context doesn't just mean "there were 8 literal men 5 yards from the line". A better meaning for it is, "the defense committed a safety or corner to better stop the run". So in a nickel defense where you only normally have 6 in the box, bringing up a safety for a 7th accomplishes the exact same thing of outnumbering the offense that putting an 8th man in the box does for a base defense. Or if you blitz a cornerback, especially the slot or at the end of the line, you're accomplishing the same thing.I took a peek at the Short Cuts for the first 2 series just now and on the 4th play, the nickel corner blitzes from the slot, which essentially should count. On the 3rd play, the safety cheated up to about 7 yards off the line. Which isn't "in the box" but I'd say it's "box adjacent" at the least.I'd probably want to go break down every play myself before using the summary in the article. Not that Rivera might not have overstated it, just I'm not sure the writer gave a very good account of what happened.

He gives me that Mike Singletary feeling, where you study his face on the sideline and he just looks clueless and overwhelmed. Could be wrong though.

I watched the game. The Tampa defensive line consistently beat the interior of the Carolina offensive line and was in the backfield a lot of the game. Carolina tried a lot of outside runs and Tampa was too fast for it. Carolina never seemed to try to use Tampa's speed against it with mis-direction plays or straight ahead power man on man plays running behind the FB. Frankly, Tampa outcoached and outplayed Carolina and this is coming from a Carolina fan.

'Bayhawks said:
'GroveDiesel said:

:goodposting: The author of the article claims that the Bucs "on average put 5 defenders in the box." TB runs a 4-3 as their base, so they will have 4 down linemen in the box on virtually every play (except obvious passing plays like 3rd and long or Hail Mary situations). So the author is contending that the Bucs dropped 2 LBs on almost every play, as well as keeping both safeties and both corners deep/in coverage. I haven't watched the tape, but I doubt that is actually what happened.
In the box is basically a pre-snap read anyway. If they put 8 in the box pre-snap but then drop the safety back into zone coverage after the snap, they still had 8 in the box when the QB makes his reads and audibles.I think Rivera is just trying to come up with an excuse for a pathetic performance.

If Tampa had 8 in the box and kept them in the box after the snap, Newton should have been able to exploit that and get them into those 2nd and 5's that Rivera talks about. So if Newton wasn't able to do that, then either 1) he can't beat 3 DB's in coverage, which means he sucks, or 2) Tampa was giving a fake run-stop read to bait him into throws before dropping into coverage, which means the OC deserves some heat for getting out coached. Someone should have seen that happening and countered it.

I'd like to see what formations TB stuffed Williams from. If they got on him early by stacking, and then showed 8 pre-snap but were dropping into coverage, they did a masterful job of making the Panthers abandon the run when they didn't need to. It's cliche', but you need to stick with the run. You can use the pass to set up the run. If Carolina knew they were dropping back into coverage, some well timed running plays could gash the D and start forcing them to play honest...which in turn would then open up the passing game...which then would open up the running game. As an example, how many carries did D.Murray have early in his game? It was looking rough there for awhile. But he finally broke free.

Predictability is a killer. Makes me wonder if Carolina is going to be as predictable as ever and if the OC then just expects Newton to pull something out of his ### when they need it.

There is no question that Ron Rivera is dumb...If I had to guess probably one of the lowest IQs of all of the active head coaches.

Just wanted to say that.

'GroveDiesel said:
I don't think that the guy that wrote the article understands what "in the box" means. Is he really contending that TB went with a dime defense most of the game? I seriously doubt this.This is the other aspect of the all-22 tape being released for public consumption: idiots that have no clue what they're talking about spouting off a bunch of non-sense just because they have access to the all-22.
Agreed. I appreciate the effort in "breaking" down the plays but he clearly has not played the game and doesn't understand this concept. In the box is a figurative illustration of bringing extra men near the LOS to affect the play presnap, and often to stop the run. This is usually done in the form of a SS or CB or FS. I actually was at this game and will give you my .02 on why the panthers stalled. The Bucs had a very good gameplan that centered on pressure up the middle and keeping contain on the outside ends. If you notice, the Bucs ends never were fooled by PA or came down the LOS on any runs or fakes. They stayed at home and contained Newton and forced him to be a passer. The pressure was actually coming from up the middle by ML blitzes as well as Gerald McCoy simply beating double teams. When Cam wanted to throw it, he didn't have all that much time and there were a few plays where Barron and the Bucs secondary made a good play on the ball. The Panthers really never gave their running game a chance and DWill looked pissed sitting on the sideline for most of the second half. It was really a strange game to watch if you were a Panthers game and I think exposed some of the inexperience that comes with a 2nd year QB, 2nd year HC and OC. They will improve but on this day, they just got flat out beat at the point of attack.

Carolina offense and playcalling was pretty dynamic last year with the same coaches...and with nearly the same personnel my bet is that they get things rolling again.

Carolina offense and playcalling was pretty dynamic last year with the same coaches...and with nearly the same personnel my bet is that they get things rolling again.
Was the play calling really that dynamic or was Cam just dynamic? I suspect it was more of the latter. And if DC's have figured out how to defend him, then the play calling will be quickly exposed.

Users who are viewing this thread