What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this collusion? (1 Viewer)

Is this collusion?

• Yes?

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • No?

Votes: 63 76.8%

• Total voters

TheFootballJesus

Footballguy
I think I might be a victim of collusion in my league, but I'm not entirely certain.

One of the teams in our league dropped the Seattle defense this past week and they got picked up by my playoff opponent. She grabbed them off waivers and had the 4th highest waiver priority in the league. The team that dropped Seattle is in the consolation bracket and has a bye for this week. They picked up the Kansas City defense claiming they have more faith in KC vs Oakland next week than Seattle vs. buffalo (cited seattle's subpar road defense). The two owners are pretty close (used to date) and I know they often give each other advice.

Given that I can't prove anything I'll have to let this one go, but do you guys think that this was collusion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I might be a victim of collusion in my league, but I'm not entirely certain.

One of the teams in our league dropped the Seattle defense this past week and they got picked up by my playoff opponent. She grabbed them off waivers and had the 4th highest waiver priority in the league. The team that dropped Seattle is in the consolation bracket and has a bye for this week. They picked up the Kansas City defense claiming they have more faith in KC vs Oakland next week than Seattle vs. buffalo (cited seattle's subpar road defense). The two owners are pretty close (used to date) and I know they often give each other advice.

Given that I can't prove anything I'll have to let this one go, but do you guys think that this was collusion?
So the teams with waiver priority 1-3 were also in on this nefarious scheme?Also, not trusting SEA next week is totally legit. I'm riding them into the playoffs, but I'd seriously consider benching them next week, especially if the CBs get suspended.

The teams that were 1-3 on the waiver priority are new owners pretty inactive. They had a total of 0, 6, and 5 transactions during the season respectively.

Please note that I said I wasn't going to take any action- just was wondering if anyone else would have suspected collusion in this case. Guess not.

Interesting that you just decided this was an issue after SEA had a great game. Would you have started this thread if SEA only posted 9 or 10 points?

Seems like pretty sound reasoning to me. Curious why you didn't start this thread before the Seattle game?

Interesting that you just decided this was an issue after SEA had a great game. Would you have started this thread if SEA only posted 9 or 10 points?
Honestly, no.For what it's worth I texted the owner prior to the game asking for his explanation on why he dropped the seattle defense in favor of kansas city, and that's the explanation he provided. I saw it as an issue before the game began, but I believe you have to take people at their word. That's one of reasons I'm not going to take any action.

Why does your league allow a team to pick up a player the same week they were dropped? That's what you should be complaining about.

Is it collusion? Yeah, probably. But you can't prove it so it's not worth fighting unless you don't care about not seeing or playing fantasy football with these people again. It's not so egregious that it's worth a fight; you'd wind up looking somewhat petty.

Also, the guy's reasoning doesn't hold up to a brief inspection. KC is also away next week and is an awful road defense, far worse than Seattle. KC's given up about 30 points per away game. They gave up 26, at home, the last time they played Oakland. They're currently the 30th ranked defense by my league's scoring.

It's curious that no one else put a waiver claim in for them. Are the people with the top waiver claims just lazy / disinterested owners? Was the drop made at an unusual time?

It's extremely unlikely that all 4 top waiver owners were "in on it".

How is it collusion? Is she giving him Seattle D back this week?
Like I stated in the OP, he's in the consolation bracket. This is a re-draft league so it's likely he doesn't care about where he finishes. I was under the impression it could be collusion because I just don't see the reasoning behind going with Kansas City @ Oakland next week instead of Seattle @ Buffalo.
It's curious that no one else put a waiver claim in for them. Are the people with the top waiver claims just lazy / disinterested owners? Was the drop made at an unusual time?
The top 3 owners like I stated before have made a total of 0, 6, 5 transactions this week. None of them made the playoffs either. The drop was made right after the initial waiver period over the weekend- so a few teams had used up their waiver priority and slid back while she advanced up to 4th.

Like I stated in the OP, he's in the consolation bracket. This is a re-draft league so it's likely he doesn't care about where he finishes. I was under the impression it could be collusion because I just don't see the reasoning behind going with Kansas City @ Oakland next week instead of Seattle @ Buffalo.
You really don't see any way that someone might honestly prefer KC over Seattle? Carson Palmer, a gimpy DMC, Seattle's rather poor road record? You don't have to agree with the call to admit that it might not be disingenuous.

You really don't see any way that someone might honestly prefer KC over Seattle? Carson Palmer, a gimpy DMC, Seattle's rather poor road record? You don't have to agree with the call to admit that it might not be disingenuous.
Kansas City is 29th in our league in scoring, is even worse on the road, and Fitzpatrick is as erratic as Carson Palmer. Oakland has looked bad all season, but the KC defense was picked up before the Thursday night Broncos vs Raiders game.

I 100 % sure it is collusion but it is impossible to prove. I would just say move to a new league next year.

I played in a league a few years ago with some friends who also had their wives/gfs play, after a couple seasons and some questionable trades between spouses I just told them I was taking a couple years away from fantasy football and found some online leagues that used league safe and I didn't lose any of my friends in the process.

'Quibbler said:
'TheFootballJesus said:

So the teams with waiver priority 1-3 were also in on this nefarious scheme?Also, not trusting SEA next week is totally legit. I'm riding them into the playoffs, but I'd seriously consider benching them next week, especially if the CBs get suspended.
serious ownage here

Going into last week, Seattle was still a hot defense. They faced Chicago, who gave up roughly the 5th most points to fantasy defenses.

Seattle scored 1 point in my league.

So I vote collusion, because that is the perfect cover.

yup anyone making add/drops in the consolation bracket is immediately suspicious

i say non playoff teams should be locked but then others say they enjoy winning even if it's the consolation bracket

i tell those ppl to get a life. if you're not 1st you're last

add to that, the fact that they dated, i'm 99% sure it's collusion but like homie said.. impossible to prove

edit-- "The top 3 owners like I stated before have made a total of 0, 6, 5 transactions this week. None of them made the playoffs either."

this seals it IMO. of course they didnt use their waivers on seattle. i'm sure they realize the season is over and have moved on with their lives

get a new league or get those shady league rules cleaned up

So it turns out that right after dropping Seattle, my opponent was messaged "it's a good idea to pick up Seattle". She felt guilty about the situation and benched Gostkowski for tonight (game is still up for grabs, need arian foster and owen daneiels to score 13 points)

Does this qualify as collusion?

I think I might be a victim of collusion in my league, but I'm not entirely certain. One of the teams in our league dropped the Seattle defense this past week and they got picked up by my playoff opponent. She grabbed them off waivers and had the 4th highest waiver priority in the league. The team that dropped Seattle is in the consolation bracket and has a bye for this week. They picked up the Kansas City defense claiming they have more faith in KC vs Oakland next week than Seattle vs. buffalo (cited seattle's subpar road defense). The two owners are pretty close (used to date) and I know they often give each other advice.Given that I can't prove anything I'll have to let this one go, but do you guys think that this was collusion?
The word "collusion" needs to be barred from fantasy football. I've seen ridiculous posts like this for 20 years and never once has it been collusion. Unbelievable. You really need to change your board name. Your name connotes that you actually know what you are doing.

You people jumping down his throat are jagoffs. Hell yes it was collusion. Someone in the consolation bracket should never, ever be dropping valuable fantasy players. The Seattle defense being one. Especially during a week with a juicy matchup.

You people jumping down his throat are jagoffs. Hell yes it was collusion. Someone in the consolation bracket should never, ever be dropping valuable fantasy players. The Seattle defense being one. Especially during a week with a juicy matchup.
you didn't explain where it's collusion, dude.

yup anyone making add/drops in the consolation bracket is immediately suspiciousi say non playoff teams should be locked but then others say they enjoy winning even if it's the consolation bracketi tell those ppl to get a life. if you're not 1st you're lastadd to that, the fact that they dated, i'm 99% sure it's collusion but like homie said.. impossible to proveedit-- "The top 3 owners like I stated before have made a total of 0, 6, 5 transactions this week. None of them made the playoffs either."this seals it IMO. of course they didnt use their waivers on seattle. i'm sure they realize the season is over and have moved on with their livesget a new league or get those shady league rules cleaned up
We pay out for high points for all 17 weeks of the NFL regular season to help keep everyone involved and playing for something. You can't not let those owners make an effort to an money so ya, drop/adds are open to all.

After he dropped the seattle defense, he messaged my opponent "you should pick up the seattle defense".

After he dropped the seattle defense, he messaged my opponent "you should pick up the seattle defense".
that's a good pick up, dude. why didn't you pick em up?

I was behind in terms of waiver priority. She was 4th and the 3 teams ahead of her have made a collective total of 11 moves this year.I've said all this before in the thread.

I was behind in terms of waiver priority. She was 4th and the 3 teams ahead of her have made a collective total of 11 moves this year.
who or what did you pick up to get a waiver pick behind hers, dude?

I was behind in terms of waiver priority. She was 4th and the 3 teams ahead of her have made a collective total of 11 moves this year.
who or what did you pick up to get a waiver pick behind hers, dude?
The way our league works we have an initial waiver period that lasts from Sunday-Tuesday. Any player that gets dropped, at any point in the week, gets put on waivers for 2 days. I didn't pick up anybody over the weekend- we have a 14 team league with large rosters and there isn't really much available on the wire this time of year.

A few weeks back I picked up Ronnie Brown which reset my waiver priority back to 14. At the time Seattle was dropped my waiver priority was 7th.

Seattle ended up being dropped in the middle of the week, on Wednesday December 5th, AFTER the initial wavier period over the weekend. The team that had 4th waiver priority picked up Montell Owens which allowed my opponent to advance from 5th waiver priority to 4th.

I never had a chance to pick up the Seattle defense.

Users who are viewing this thread