What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

This game manager thing is way overblown. Brady threw for over 300 yards in a blizzard against the Raiders and ran in a touchdown. In the same conditions, rich gannon threw for 159. People remember the tuck rule and the Vinatieri kick, but Brady led the Patriots to a touchdown and a field goal in the final eight minutes of a game in the most difficult of conditions and then another field goal in overtime.

He got hurt in the steelers game but was on the cusp of scoring and had already racked up 118 first half yards despite the Patriots getting a punt return early.

The superbowl win against the rams, he played on a badly injured ankle which was very controversial at the time. The Patriots played as slow as possible to neutralize the greatest show on turf, but when he needed to, Brady let loose, throwing a touchdown with 31 seconds left in the first half and then leading the memorable game winning drive with a minute and a half left to win his first title.

His 2843/18/12 in 14 regular season games isn't much by today's standards, but as a first time starter he still led the Patriots to the number one seed with the 6th ranked offense in the nfl. And while they're considered a defensive team now, the reality is they were just 6th in scoring defense - the same rank as their offense.

In 2002, his first full season as a starter, Brady led the nfl in touchdown passes.

And of course, his receivers. The same people who claim that Brady was just a game manager with a great defense to discredit his early playoff success tend to give manning full credit for his passing numbers. But when brady finally got an elite receiver, he broke record after record the very first year they were together and led the superbowl with less than two minutes remaining.

Manning won two superbowls in four tries - the one this year and one where he threw 3 tds and 7 ints as the defense truly carried him to both titles. And he also threw a game ending pick six against the saints and followed a record setting year with an 8 point embarrassment against the Seahawks. Much like the time he followed a record setting year in 2004 with a 3 point performance against the Patriots in the afc championship game.

I'm happy that manning won. He's been brady's closest rival and it's been a lot of fun. He belongs in the conversation for top 5 quarterbacks of all time and last night's win solidifies him there for most of us. That's great. He's earned that. It's fine to get caught up in the moment, but try to keep some perspective.

This may have been discussed already, but I'm curious: does Peyton go into the Hall as a Colt or as a Bronco?
Irsay wants him to sign one of those 1 day contracts and retire as a Colt but Peyton has said he's not so sure he'd do that. He's still pretty irked about getting cut. That said, I think if you look at his legacy, he's a Colt in most people's minds.

This may have been discussed already, but I'm curious: does Peyton go into the Hall as a Colt or as a Bronco?
Irsay wants him to sign one of those 1 day contracts and retire as a Colt but Peyton has said he's not so sure he'd do that. He's still pretty irked about getting cut. That said, I think if you look at his legacy, he's a Colt in most people's minds.
If that's the case it's pathetic. The Colts had no choice - you don't pass on Andrew Luck for a 36 year old QB with a neck injury and a huge contract.

If that's the case it's pathetic. The Colts had no choice - you don't pass on Andrew Luck for a 36 year old QB with a neck injury and a huge contract.
Looks like Manning was a better play.

Looks like Manning was a better play.
How so? If he was taking the hits Luck has for the last few years he would have been out of the league 2 years ago, I am not saying Luck is tougher, but he is almost 15 years younger and Luck still missed time, in Peyton's condition he might have been crippled.

Good thing Peyton retired rather than taking another stab at a title, cause, ya know, he CAN'T win a title.

I became a bigger fan of this guy with his "gonna go drink a lot of beer" comments. Love it. Channeling his inner Jim Mcmahon.

Manning is still under contract. Irsay should be docked for tampering.

Niles Standish said:
dparker713 said:
Jeremy said:
Walking Boot said:
Crazy to win it all after such a year. 13 completions in the SB, 143 yds, 0TD, 1INT, and walks off a champion.
This season is a great example of why wins and losses shouldn't be considered a QB statistic. They won't say it because he's been so great, but Manning was no different than Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson during those SB runs. Great way to go out, though.
Or Tom Brady for his first two wins
Brady threw for 350 yds and 3 TDs in his 2nd superbowl and was MVP. Not sure that's quite the same.
SB runs includes more than just one game.
So a guy who was top 10 in yards, TDs, passer rating in the regular season and had one of the best Super Bowl games of all time. That's who you're throwing in the worst Super Bowl winning QBs of all time list? I guess that's your opinion. I just don't happen to share it.
Top 10? That's a pretty low bar. There are only 32 starting jobs. Top 10 means you're good, doesn't mean you're a primary reason for team victories.
The only guys who were top 10 in all 3 categories this year were:

Palmer

Brady

Brees

Stafford

I assume you're trolling, but it's getting sort of ridiculous.
He was 6th, 10th, and 10th in the categories you self selected. He didn't start carrying that team until later.

ETA: And Stafford is a prime example. He's decent, good even. But he's hardly carrying his team to victory. You can win with him, but he's not why you win.
I know you're trying to pick the outlier. But either you don't understand football or you're still trolling. Try and think of a major difference between the 2015 Lions and the 2003 Patriots. Then think of how that difference could change play calling strategies. Not to mention you're comparing Brady to 2015 Peyton Manning and Trent Dilfer. So we're not talking about good QBs, we're talking about at best mediocre players.

Peyton has to retire. He has to know he was extremely fortunate to be able to get a chance to leave the game on a high note. He did not win any games for Denver this year. That D was the reason for the success all season. It is painful to watch the great Peyton Manning look terrible week after week.

Now you can return to the Peyton vs. Brady argument (that will never end).
:goodposting: Took an enormous amount of grit to pull off - similar to Unitas in 1970. Unitas was extremely fortunate to win Super Bowl V but came back and tarnished his image. Hope Peyton doesn't make the same mistake.
I disagree with Doc. several games this year, Manning made the difference. He does the intangibles (reading the blitz, changing the play, etc) that just escape Brock.

Overall, I complete agree with the premise that it is time, which is really hard to say as a Bronco fan. There is no better ending for him. Anything other than another SB title next year would be deemed a failure and end his career on a low note vs. the amazing ending now. The other thing is, financially, the Broncos need him to retire. They need the room to sign Brock, Miller and others. If he stays, this team will be impacted at several positions.

Courtjester said:
Peyton has to retire. He has to know he was extremely fortunate to be able to get a chance to leave the game on a high note. He did not win any games for Denver this year. That D was the reason for the success all season. It is painful to watch the great Peyton Manning look terrible week after week.

Now you can return to the Peyton vs. Brady argument (that will never end).
:goodposting: Took an enormous amount of grit to pull off - similar to Unitas in 1970. Unitas was extremely fortunate to win Super Bowl V but came back and tarnished his image. Hope Peyton doesn't make the same mistake.
I disagree with Doc. several games this year, Manning made the difference. He does the intangibles (reading the blitz, changing the play, etc) that just escape Brock.Overall, I complete agree with the premise that it is time, which is really hard to say as a Bronco fan. There is no better ending for him. Anything other than another SB title next year would be deemed a failure and end his career on a low note vs. the amazing ending now. The other thing is, financially, the Broncos need him to retire. They need the room to sign Brock, Miller and others. If he stays, this team will be impacted at several positions.
Good point. He had some good games at the beginning of the season that were overshadowed by his bad ones as the season progressed.

- He had essentially an 81 yard game winning drive in the 4th quarter of the Ravens game (put them up by 6 instead of 3 preventing the Ravens from tying on a FG).

- In the first game @KC he drove 80 yards with 2 minutes left to tie the game.

- The Broncos were only up 2 @Detroit with 10 minutes left in the 4th and Peyton led two scoring drives to put them up 12.

- He also had a game-winning drive in the 4th quarter against the Vikings.

- He scored the go ahead TD in the 4th quarter against the Browns and scored a TD in overtime.

- He played a good game against the Packers but didn't have a passing TD since CJ/Hillman combined for 3.

- Against the Chargers after he returned from injury he led a game-tying drive in the 4th quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of talk has been made about Cam and his antics but Peyton plugging Papa John and Budweiser right after the game was pretty weak and revealing of his character. His endless shilling is pretty lame.

If he doesn't retire could/would DEN just straight cut him?
Denver would absolutely cut him. Nice story this year, maybe, but he cannot throw the ball. All the Omahas in the world or checking into the correct running play do not compensate for a dead arm, particularly at his salary. Keeping an old, injured, dead-armed Q.B. would likely cost the Broncos Osweiler, Trevathan, and Jackson. They would most assuredly miss the playoffs if they did. With Osweiler running the show they can more or less return the rest of their team and can actually fully run Kubiack's offense, something Manning could not do. We are talking about the difference between a contender and a team in cap hell destined for no better than 7-9. Elway is giving Manning some respect right now, but Elway will not sacrifice the team for the next 5 years to let Manning suck for one more. There is a window here for Manning to appear to leave on his own terms before Elway dictates terms. Both parties are smart enough to see that this goes smoothly.

I see zero chance that Peyton wants to come back next year. He's going to retire, he's just too classy to take the spotlight away from his team right now.

Denver would absolutely cut him. Nice story this year, maybe, but he cannot throw the ball. All the Omahas in the world or checking into the correct running play do not compensate for a dead arm, particularly at his salary. Keeping an old, injured, dead-armed Q.B. would likely cost the Broncos Osweiler, Trevathan, and Jackson. They would most assuredly miss the playoffs if they did. With Osweiler running the show they can more or less return the rest of their team and can actually fully run Kubiack's offense, something Manning could not do. We are talking about the difference between a contender and a team in cap hell destined for no better than 7-9. Elway is giving Manning some respect right now, but Elway will not sacrifice the team for the next 5 years to let Manning suck for one more. Their is a window here for Manning to appear to leave on his own terms before Elway dictates terms. Both parties are smart enough to see that this goes smoothly.
Agreed completely.Elway took a gold month or so to decide that he wanted to retire. He's gonna afford Manning the same space. If Manning wants to come back, it cannot be at that salary, and quite possibly not as a starter.

I think Elway will make it clear that if he wants to play, he will have a role in Denver but that role cannot be starting QB with the salary that accompanies. If he'd like to test the water and see if another team can give him more, Elway would afford him that right by releasing him from his contract.

The easiest path forward is for PFM to come to realize what the rest of us already know, and to ride off into the sunset as a Superbowl champion.

It'll be a damn shame if he doesn't retire a Colt but I wouldn't blame him since Irsay sent him packing. As a Colts fan, I hope he signs here and retires. He'll always be #1 in Indy and he'll never surpass Elway in Denver.

I see zero chance that Peyton wants to come back next year. He's going to retire, he's just too classy to take the spotlight away from his team right now.
pure class
LOL, you aren't seriously knocking him for that are you?
Anyone who doesn't like Manning or think he's a class act, is either a patriots fan or has some other weird agenda with him. He's one of the most humble superstars the sports world has seen.

Crazy to win it all after such a year. 13 completions in the SB, 143 yds, 0TD, 1INT, and walks off a champion.
This season is a great example of why wins and losses shouldn't be considered a QB statistic. They won't say it because he's been so great, but Manning was no different than Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson during those SB runs. Great way to go out, though.
Certainly he wasn't the elite QB he later became for that first one Pats won 3 in 4 years and then he went 10ish years without one (and barely won that one), despite probably being a better QB than he was during that 3 for 4 stretch. Elway wasn't nearly as great during his 2 SB years as he was the decade or so before where he won zero. But people consider him greater because of those 2 rings.

IMO, people place way too much on wins and rings when defining a guy's legacy. It's a team game, and each championship requires a fair amount of luck.
The funny thing about that is that everyone basically acknowledges that as the truth. But then how does it persist as a thing if everyone can look at each other an admit it's nonsense?

It frustrates me to no end. If we all know it and acknowledge it, then who in the hell keeps perpetuating it?

A lot of talk has been made about Cam and his antics but Peyton plugging Papa John and Budweiser right after the game was pretty weak and revealing of his character. His endless shilling is pretty lame.
I don't put that in the same category, but I did find myself thinking "Seriously, Peyton?" with the Bud references. It seemed just as contrived as those going to Disney spots but even more awkward because it looked like Manning was forcing it in where it didn't belong.

I know they say it wasn't a planned plug, but it came off as if it was and I have a hard time believing that Peyton thought the most interesting thing he could tell people after the big win was that he couldn't wait to chug some Bud. For all the awww shucks act he will sometimes pull, he's too PR astute to make that kind of miscalculation. He had to have some reason for forcing that square peg into the round hole.

I don't put that in the same category, but I did find myself thinking "Seriously, Peyton?" with the Bud references. It seemed just as contrived as those going to Disney spots but even more awkward because it looked like Manning was forcing it in where it didn't belong.

I know they say it wasn't a planned plug, but it came off as if it was and I have a hard time believing that Peyton thought the most interesting thing he could tell people after the big win was that he couldn't wait to chug some Bud. For all the awww shucks act he will sometimes pull, he's too PR astute to make that kind of miscalculation. He had to have some reason for forcing that square peg into the round hole.
He's actually talked about drinking a bud after the game before. Last time he said it, New Belgium sent a bunch of Fat Tire to the Broncos facility to get some free publicitiy.

This game manager thing is way overblown. Brady threw for over 300 yards in a blizzard against the Raiders and ran in a touchdown. In the same conditions, rich gannon threw for 159. People remember the tuck rule and the Vinatieri kick, but Brady led the Patriots to a touchdown and a field goal in the final eight minutes of a game in the most difficult of conditions and then another field goal in overtime.

I'll give you this one.

He got hurt in the steelers game but was on the cusp of scoring and had already racked up 118 first half yards despite the Patriots getting a punt return early.

lol...'racked up' 118 whole yards? Really stretching here. And all this was accomplished despite a boo boo?!?

The superbowl win against the rams, he played on a badly injured ankle which was very controversial at the time. The Patriots played as slow as possible to neutralize the greatest show on turf, but when he needed to, Brady let loose, throwing a touchdown with 31 seconds left in the first half and then leading the memorable game winning drive with a minute and a half left to win his first title.

Another boo boo?! What an iron man. And throwing for a TD at the end of the first half is what epitomizes an all-time great QB. Who else has ever thrown a TD at the end of a first half?

His 2843/18/12 in 14 regular season games isn't much by today's standards, but as a first time starter he still led the Patriots to the number one seed with the 6th ranked offense in the nfl. And while they're considered a defensive team now, the reality is they were just 6th in scoring defense - the same rank as their offense.

In 2002, his first full season as a starter, Brady led the nfl in touchdown passes.

Has absolutely nothing to do with SB performance but

And of course, his receivers. The same people who claim that Brady was just a game manager with a great defense to discredit his early playoff success tend to give manning full credit for his passing numbers. But when brady finally got an elite receiver, he broke record after record the very first year they were together and led the superbowl with less than two minutes remaining.

The same record that Manning immediately shattered. The same SB that the Pats lost despite having the final possession with a chance to win.

Manning won two superbowls in four tries - the one this year and one where he threw 3 tds and 7 ints as the defense truly carried him to both titles. And he also threw a game ending pick six against the saints and followed a record setting year with an 8 point embarrassment against the Seahawks. Much like the time he followed a record setting year in 2004 with a 3 point performance against the Patriots in the afc championship game.

I'm happy that manning won. He's been brady's closest rival and it's been a lot of fun. He belongs in the conversation for top 5 quarterbacks of all time and last night's win solidifies him there for most of us. That's great. He's earned that. It's fine to get caught up in the moment, but try to keep some perspective.

The correct perspective is that Manning finished his career as a game manager that led to a SB. Brady started his career as a game manager that only won his first 2 SBs due to defense and the run game. Nothing wrong with that, he just got lucky to be on such a stacked team early on.

Denver would absolutely cut him. Nice story this year, maybe, but he cannot throw the ball. All the Omahas in the world or checking into the correct running play do not compensate for a dead arm, particularly at his salary. Keeping an old, injured, dead-armed Q.B. would likely cost the Broncos Osweiler, Trevathan, and Jackson. They would most assuredly miss the playoffs if they did. With Osweiler running the show they can more or less return the rest of their team and can actually fully run Kubiack's offense, something Manning could not do. We are talking about the difference between a contender and a team in cap hell destined for no better than 7-9. Elway is giving Manning some respect right now, but Elway will not sacrifice the team for the next 5 years to let Manning suck for one more. There is a window here for Manning to appear to leave on his own terms before Elway dictates terms. Both parties are smart enough to see that this goes smoothly.
Agree 100% with these.

I don't know how accurate the information is, but on the radio the other day they were saying that Peyton owns 30-40 Papa John's locations and also owns a Bud beer distribution business.

pure class
Anyone who doesn't like Manning or think he's a class act, is either a patriots fan or has some other weird agenda with him. He's one of the most humble superstars the sports world has seen.
Agreed and no, but it's mildly off-putting to see him plug a beer like that.

Certainly he wasn't the elite QB he later became for that first one Pats won 3 in 4 years and then he went 10ish years without one (and barely won that one), despite probably being a better QB than he was during that 3 for 4 stretch. Elway wasn't nearly as great during his 2 SB years as he was the decade or so before where he won zero. But people consider him greater because of those 2 rings.

IMO, people place way too much on wins and rings when defining a guy's legacy. It's a team game, and each championship requires a fair amount of luck.
The funny thing about that is that everyone basically acknowledges that as the truth. But then how does it persist as a thing if everyone can look at each other an admit it's nonsense?

It frustrates me to no end. If we all know it and acknowledge it, then who in the hell keeps perpetuating it?
Statistically 1997 & 1998 were two of the best seasons of Elway's career.

pure class
I like Manning but the 2nd Bud plug had me telling him to shut up. Agreed and no, but it's mildly off-putting to see him plug a beer like that.

In an interview with ESPN's Mike and Mike, Adam Schefter said "in a perfect world" Peyton Manning would "like to keep playing."
Schefter said the understanding is Manning will not be back in Denver regardless, so his decision will come down to his other opportunities. Schefter reports the Texans and Rams are not interested, and it is unclear if Manning is willing to move again this late in his career. Manning should have opportunities in television if he decides to retire, and Schefter believes Manning will eventually end up in an NFL front office. Manning dragging out his retirement decision this long suggests he is serious about continuing his career, but it does not appear the options are there. Retirement is still the most likely outcome.

Source: ESPN

In an interview with ESPN's Mike and Mike, Adam Schefter said "in a perfect world" Peyton Manning would "like to keep playing."
Schefter said the understanding is Manning will not be back in Denver regardless, so his decision will come down to his other opportunities. Schefter reports the Texans and Rams are not interested, and it is unclear if Manning is willing to move again this late in his career. Manning should have opportunities in television if he decides to retire, and Schefter believes Manning will eventually end up in an NFL front office. Manning dragging out his retirement decision this long suggests he is serious about continuing his career, but it does not appear the options are there. Retirement is still the most likely outcome.

Source: ESPN
Is he trying to make sure his final game is the last time he can walk? I mean, I get it you love the game, but don't you love being able to function as a human being, playing with your kids and one day grandchildren? I can't wrap my mind around this, he won't even have to be away from the game he can coach, broadcast, and move up into the GM role.

If denver cuts him. I would be surprised if his phone rings
I don't see anywhere he can go and start except for maybe Houston. They could possibly try and win with his smarts and a top defense, but I doubt they want to just put another band aid on the QB position and start all over again next season.

Users who are viewing this thread