What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best Will Lose Goal-Line Carries (1 Viewer)

Touchdown There

Footballguy
Interesting question NFL.com posed to Coach Schwartz at 3:55 via the "Facebook Question for Jim Schwartz". http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/05/18/three-and-out-stafford-could-be-a-fantasy-star/?module=HP_spotlight

Question: "Coach Schwartz - How do you intend on using Leshoure and Best in the same backfield? Who is the starter?"

Schwartz: "Well I don't know if we will see them in the backfield at the same time, maybe we will. You know, Leshoure is 227 pounds and Jahvid Best is right around 200. Jahvid probably a 4.3, Leshoure's a 4.5. They are different styles. They are good in different situations. We struggled last year a little bit trying to pound the ball in short yardage. I think Mikel gives us an advantage there. We didn't really worry too much about getting them on the field at the same time. We saw a player that had 1700 yards, averaged 6.5 yards a carry. We did extensive research into him. We had good grades from the scouts, good grades from the coaches, and we pulled the trigger right there. I think, again, that when you are talking about being good over a 16 games season, but also being built to last once you get into the playoffs, I think that a player like Mikel Leshoure is always going to be valuable."

This officially parks the Jahvid Best hype train in reality station. In recent dynasty drafts he is still being drafted in round 3. Good luck with that! I'll take the guy that Schwartz thinks "is built to last".

I put this in the "can't lose what you never had" category. Best owners weren't expecting Leroy Hoard numbers from him anyway. He's gonna make his bones in PPR leagues, catching passes, and (hopefully) scoring from further than 5 yards out.

I put this in the "can't lose what you never had" category. Best owners weren't expecting Leroy Hoard numbers from him anyway. He's gonna make his bones in PPR leagues, catching passes, and (hopefully) scoring from further than 5 yards out.
:goodposting:buy low window is officially open on Best.

You know I am a big Stafford guy, if he stays healthy for a season, there's going to be a lot more fantasy points there than just Megatron. Now is the time to get Lion players, before people start hearing that Stafford is 100%, and before the "look out for the Lions" talk gets heavy, which has already cropped up on NFL and ESPN.

Absolutely. He's being criminally undervalued almost universally. I was offered a trade of Kendall Hunter and a TE upgrade for (my) Jahvid Best with a straight face. I just don't get it. Leshoure is a talented runner, sure, but Best is special runner. This member of the Best hype-train is undeterred. Assuming a healthy year, he's a top 10 PPR back.ETA: Seriously, go back and watch some film on him again to refresh your memory. Tell me his moves don't remind you of Barry just a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best is a classic third down RB. Best will get yards on the ground when the D is expecting pass, and catch the ball out of the backfield. The Lions thought Best could be a bellcow RB, but that did not work out. Best has been hurt every year at every level.

So after one season they went out and had to burn another high pick on a RB. That tells the tale.

Counterpoint to the Mikel Leshoure hype-train:

Lions second-round RB Mikel Leshoure is expected to be the change-of-pace back to Jahvid Best, not the other way around.As it should be. Even though Leshoure was neck-and-neck with Mark Ingram for the top back on Detroit's board, the coaching staff realizes Best is too talented to take off the field for long stretches. Leshoure will be the short-yardage horse while also handling the "four-minute" drill when the Lions are killing the clock. Best's value does take a hit in standard-scoring leagues with the loss of goal-line work, but he should be just fine in PPR formats. Apr 30, 1:25 AMSource:
MLive.com

Lions second-round RB Mikel Leshoure is expected to be the change-of-pace back to Jahvid Best, not the other way around.As it should be. Even though Leshoure was neck-and-neck with Mark Ingram for the top back on Detroit's board, the coaching staff realizes Best is too talented to take off the field for long stretches. Leshoure will be the short-yardage horse while also handling the "four-minute" drill when the Lions are killing the clock. Best's value does take a hit in standard-scoring leagues with the loss of goal-line work, but he should be just fine in PPR formats. Apr 30, 1:25 AMSource:
MLive.com
I doubt the Lions pass on Ingram with the Titus Young pick..

MLive.com
Interesting that they don't even list a source. So what exactly are they basing this information on?

MLive.com
Interesting that they don't even list a source. So what exactly are they basing this information on?
Source is the MLive.com link, however, that particular part of the article is sandwiched between two Mayhew quotes, and it isn't clear where it comes from.

MLive.com
Source is the MLive.com link, however, that particular part of the article is sandwiched between two Mayhew quotes, and it isn't clear where it comes from.
Did some digging, from a different MLive article on the same date (likely same press conference):
"He can be a four-minute back for us," Mayhew explained. "He can be a short-yardage, goal line back for us. He can do a lot of things very well. We trust our grades. He's very versatile.
You could interpret that a couple of ways, being that that is what his role will be, or that that is simply what he excels at. I'd say we're open ended on that one.Source: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/04/martin_mayhew_video_mikel_lesh.html

I love Best's talent as much as the next guy, but I think we're looking at a true committee here and both backs will have equally unstable (but high-ceiling) values.

I'm under the impression that if the Lions are going against a 3-4 defense Schwartz will start/feature LeShoure due to his power. If they're facing a 4-3 defense he'll go back to Best for his speed. Again, this is just me kind of reading between the lines, but I think on any given week either one of them will be the bellcow and could go off for big points... As of now I'm honestly kind of wondering if the best way to use either of them this year will be starting both of 'em if you're able to - LeShoure at RB2 and Best in the Flex.

Right now, if I had to pick one or the other I lean towards LeShoure only because he'll be cheaper and he's getting the goalline touches, BUT the Lions' schedule does kind of favor Best since they'll face 10 defenses who play in a 4-3 and only 6 in a 3-4.

So, the Lions utilize Jahvid Best similarly to the way the Ravens use Ray Rice. Sounds good to me. :shrug:
Ray Rice just had 307 carries last season. I don't think Best will be getting those kind of carries.
Me neither, but i think he will have that many touches. Best 230 car, 1075 yard, 6 TD, 60 rec, 525, 2 TDLeshoure 165 car, 675 yards, 8 TD, 20 rec. 160, 0 TD

If you think round 3 in dynasty is buying low on Best, we should be talking side wager.
initial dynasty drafts are tough because the owner that likes Best best will take him, meaning his draft position will probably represent close to peak value. In existing dynasty leagues, you might get him at a discount from a disappointed owner who took him top 3 last year expecting a cornerstone RB. In redraft, I expect his ADP to continue to trend down, possibly as low as the 5th or 6th round.

If you think round 3 in dynasty is buying low on Best, we should be talking side wager.
initial dynasty drafts are tough because the owner that likes Best best will take him, meaning his draft position will probably represent close to peak value. In existing dynasty leagues, you might get him at a discount from a disappointed owner who took him top 3 last year expecting a cornerstone RB. In redraft, I expect his ADP to continue to trend down, possibly as low as the 5th or 6th round.

Of course it depends on how low we're talking but not only do you have to worry about splitting carries, he's the type of guy who's been effected by injuries in college and in his first year as a pro. We're drafting in Survivor Leagues now in the mock draft forums and he's going in the 3rd round, with most people thinking that the rookie back they brought in would be getting goaline carries due to his size. I don't think he's hit his low just yet IMO, I'm definately not out to buy J. Best right now.

So you are speculating that he will eventually be available in the 6th round of your re-drafts later on this year and be a value then? You said the buy low window was officially open. I will spot you 16 places in 1 PPR (3rd round draft value) scoring. If Best lands 1-16 in 2011, I owe you $100. If Best lands 17-whatever, I win $100.Let's spice up this slow offseason.

So you are speculating that he will eventually be available in the 6th round of your re-drafts later on this year and be a value then? You said the buy low window was officially open. I will spot you 16 places in 1 PPR (3rd round draft value) scoring. If Best lands 1-16 in 2011, I owe you $100. If Best lands 17-whatever, I win $100.Let's spice up this slow offseason.
heh. I havent done my season-long projections yet, but I'll get back to you if they put him in that range

heh. I havent done my season-long projections yet, but I'll get back to you if they put him in that range
So, what you meant to say in your above post is: "if you are one of the lucky people to get Jahvid Best in the 5th or 6th round, he can be of value". Fifth round "hold" rating? This is completely different than, "the buy low window is officially open".I was looking forward to the free $100.

So, what you meant to say in your above post is: "if you are one of the lucky people to get Jahvid Best in the 5th or 6th round, he can be of value". Fifth round "hold" rating? This is completely different than, "the buy low window is officially open".I was looking forward to the free $100.
Im not sure what you are trying to bet on, but i might be interested. I think Best is a buy low at a 3rd/4th round pick in a dynasty start-up. If there is a way to prove that is right or wrong, i am in.

Im not sure what you are trying to bet on, but i might be interested. I think Best is a buy low at a 3rd/4th round pick in a dynasty start-up. If there is a way to prove that is right or wrong, i am in.
The time frame is weeks 1-17 of 2011. Let's find a MFL league with standard 1 ppr scoring. At the conclusion of week 17 we will go to the results of the agreed upon scoring format and sort the rbs in terms of points scored on the year. If Best lands 1-16, you win. Anything else, I win. Alternatively, I will spot you 20 spots in non-ppr. You can choose.

Some people are trying too hard in this thread. I gotta believe that LeShoure was selected with an early pick because Lions' staff are convinced that Kevin Smith plays no role in the future of the franchise (a painfully average back to watch). My prediction is that Best and LeShoure both have fine seasons, each collecting an extra stinky week or two because of the other.

Does anyone doubt Best's big play ability? He's going to see plenty of touches.

The time frame is weeks 1-17 of 2011. Let's find a MFL league with standard 1 ppr scoring. At the conclusion of week 17 we will go to the results of the agreed upon scoring format and sort the rbs in terms of points scored on the year. If Best lands 1-16, you win. Anything else, I win. Alternatively, I will spot you 20 spots in non-ppr. You can choose.
Im assuming if he tears his ACL in preseason, you would win(i guess this wouldbe your only shot of winning)? Anyway, if you really want to put a wager on that i am interested. My only problem is i dont know you, so my bigger concern would be getting paid after i win, assuming i did. If you have any ideas PM me, as we shouldnt be using the forums for this.

Im assuming if he tears his ACL in preseason, you would win(i guess this wouldbe your only shot of winning)? Anyway, if you really want to put a wager on that i am interested. My only problem is i dont know you, so my bigger concern would be getting paid after i win, assuming i did. If you have any ideas PM me, as we shouldnt be using the forums for this.
Yes, the injury risk is part of his draft ranking. I just checked his profile on CBSsports.com and he is listed at 199 pounds. All variables are included. The only thing that matters is the final ranking. We will agree upon the MFL league and payment terms via PM.Let's throw a final wrench in the bet. The loser has to revive this thread just after week 17 and give "unique and glorified props" to the winner. It would only be bragging if the winner revives the thread.

'Go deep said:
So, the Lions utilize Jahvid Best similarly to the way the Ravens use Ray Rice. Sounds good to me. :shrug:
Ray Rice just had 307 carries last season. I don't think Best will be getting those kind of carries.
Me neither, but i think he will have that many touches. Best 230 car, 1075 yard, 6 TD, 60 rec, 525, 2 TDLeshoure 165 car, 675 yards, 8 TD, 20 rec. 160, 0 TD
Agreed. Closer to Rice's 254 carries and 78 receptions in 2009 with a power back coming in for carries closer to the goalline. I just expect them to use him in a similar way.He'll still have a ton of value with 300ish touches.

'Go deep said:
Agreed. Closer to Rice's 254 carries and 78 receptions in 2009 with a power back coming in for carries closer to the goalline. I just expect them to use him in a similar way.He'll still have a ton of value with 300ish touches.
Im probably being too generous to Leshoure with those totals, unless the Lions are a playoff team.

185 touches for Leshoure might be a touch high, especially if Maurice Morris is still in the picture. They might like to lean on the veteran a bit more in the 4 minute drill when/if the Lions are leading.

The rest of Detroit's RBs (Morris, Smith, Felton, Logan, and Brown) combined only had 230 touches with Best dinged up for much of the season.

Best had 230 touches by himself. I'd think the Lions would like to get him closer to the 280-300 touch range.

Best is a better version of Sproles.

He is a play maker no doubt about it, but his 563 yards on 172 carries for a 3.27 ypc is awful. Many will blame it on the turf toe which I am sure had some effect on it, but he seems like the guy that will be extremely frustrating to own. He did not have rushing td from week 3 to week 17 last year. So his last 141 rushing attempts yielded no TD's. And that was on a team that had no where near a guy of Leshoure's ability on the team.

Best just like Sproles will get a couple of hand offs and make some plays and have some nice yards and the fantasy football community will wonder why he is not getting more touches and claim that more touches would be huge for him.

However, the staff will know that pounding Leshoure and wearing down the defense while mixing the speedy Best in to catch passes and run some plays will give their team the best chance to win.

Leshoure was brought in as the power and work horse guy. This does not mean that Best will not have some value, but that value will be mainly in PPR leagues.

Best is a better version of Sproles.He is a play maker no doubt about it, but his 563 yards on 172 carries for a 3.27 ypc is awful. Many will blame it on the turf toe which I am sure had some effect on it, but he seems like the guy that will be extremely frustrating to own. He did not have rushing td from week 3 to week 17 last year. So his last 141 rushing attempts yielded no TD's. And that was on a team that had no where near a guy of Leshoure's ability on the team.Best just like Sproles will get a couple of hand offs and make some plays and have some nice yards and the fantasy football community will wonder why he is not getting more touches and claim that more touches would be huge for him.However, the staff will know that pounding Leshoure and wearing down the defense while mixing the speedy Best in to catch passes and run some plays will give their team the best chance to win.Leshoure was brought in as the power and work horse guy. This does not mean that Best will not have some value, but that value will be mainly in PPR leagues.
Do you think the Lions spent a first round pick on a guy they want to use like Sproles?

Best is a better version of Sproles.He is a play maker no doubt about it, but his 563 yards on 172 carries for a 3.27 ypc is awful. Many will blame it on the turf toe which I am sure had some effect on it, but he seems like the guy that will be extremely frustrating to own. He did not have rushing td from week 3 to week 17 last year. So his last 141 rushing attempts yielded no TD's. And that was on a team that had no where near a guy of Leshoure's ability on the team.Best just like Sproles will get a couple of hand offs and make some plays and have some nice yards and the fantasy football community will wonder why he is not getting more touches and claim that more touches would be huge for him.However, the staff will know that pounding Leshoure and wearing down the defense while mixing the speedy Best in to catch passes and run some plays will give their team the best chance to win.Leshoure was brought in as the power and work horse guy. This does not mean that Best will not have some value, but that value will be mainly in PPR leagues.
Do you think the Lions spent a first round pick on a guy they want to use like Sproles?
I would have used Reggie Bush as a comparison instead of Sproles.

Any well-run organization will adapt when a plan doesn't go as expected. Best did not provide the kind of reliability at that position that they wanted, so they decided to add another excellent young runner into the mix. The one thing they can definitely count on from Best is explosive plays, so they'd probably like to keep him fresh which means, yes, they may start to use him like Sproles/R.Bush.

The staff has seen enough to know that after only 1 year of taking Best at the 30th spot, that they had to spend the 57th pick on a very good running back in Leshoure who has a much different skill set than Best.Like I said I think that Best's game fits a role very similar to Sproles, although Best is a better version of Sproles and therefore will be a bigger contributor than Sproles and receive more touches.Take a look at Best's situational stats. In 2010, his YPC in the first quarter of a game was 3.8, in the second quarter of a game it was 3.5, in the third quarter of a game 3.1 and in the fourth quarter of a game 2.1 ypc.Best's skill set and build is not meant to be a grinder and get 20 plus hand offs a game. I am not sure what the Lion's intentions were when the selected Best with the 30th pick. My guess is they hoped he would be able to shoulder a descent sized load, but their selection of Leshoure speaks volume about how they plan on using Best going forward. Best will/can still be very important to the Lion's success. But he will probably be more important to the Lions than he is to fantasy fooball teams.

While I actually agree with your side of this discussion, the Chargers did use the Franchise Tag (paying huge money) on Sproles to use him "like Sproles" for two consecutive seasons.

What people are missing in pushing Best to the side is an assumption that the opportunities will be there in enough quantites to benefit LeShoure. Its one thing to SAY "he will be the goal line back and the short yardage guy and the guy running the clock out" but if you have spent any time watching the Lions in the last 4 years:

1)Who is the #1 option at the goal ine at least 60% of the time? Calvin. Are there really these thoughts that the Lions are going to suddenly morph into some team that methodically marches down the field and then plays three yards and a cloud of dust and tries to pound the ball into the end zone? Against teams like the Packers, Bears, and Vikes? And ignore jumpball matchups for CJ and Pettigrew? Really people?

2)Has no one else noticed that this team is primarily a "srike from afar" type team? With playmakers/ play breakers like CJ and Burleson and Best (and now Titus), this is a team that is more likely to score from 31 yards out than 1 yard out. Look at their scoring drives the past few years. this is not a team that lives on 14 play drives and capped with 2 yard runs.

3) In order to be a back that gets clock killing carries, don't you have to be in a position to kill the clock? Are the Lions going to be in enough positions this year to be running the clock out on teams? Look at their schedule. I know it doesn't mean we can predict the future, but given the team's performance the past few years and their opponets, I'm not sure I can pencil in even 3-4 games this season where I would say "boy, I want Leshoure that week so he can get me some garbage production".

Sept. 11 - at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1 p.m., FOX)

Sept. 18 - vs. Kansas City Chiefs (1 p.m., CBS)

Sept. 25 - at Minnesota Vikings (1 p.m., FOX)

Oct. 2 - at Dallas Cowboys (1 p.m., FOX)

Oct. 10 - vs. Chicago Bears (8:30 p.m., ESPN)

Oct. 16 - vs. San Francisco 49ers (1 p.m., FOX)

Oct. 23 - vs. Atlanta Falcons (1 p.m., FOX)

Oct. 30 - at Denver Broncos (4:05 p.m., FOX)

Nov. 6 - BYE

Nov. 13 - at Chicago Bears (1 p.m., FOX)

Nov. 20 - vs. Carolina Panthers (1 p.m., FOX)

Nov. 24 (Thanksgiving) - vs. Green Bay Packers (12:30 p.m., FOX)

Dec. 4 - at New Orleans Saints (1 p.m., FOX)

Dec. 11 - vs. Minnesota Vikings (1 p.m., FOX)

Dec. 18 - at Oakland Raiders (4:05 p.m., FOX)

Dec. 24 - vs. San Diego Chargers (4:05 p.m., CBS)

Jan. 1 - at Green Bay Packers (1 p.m., FOX)

Overall, I think its the classic case of people shining up the new toy without really considering the reality of it. EVERY team in the NFL these days likes having multiple backs with complimentary features and detroit happens to be a team that found out last year they have absolutely NOTHING behind Best. But the same coach that people are saying is so high on LeShoure is the same coach that said last year that he was so enamoured with Best that he likened it to watching porn. If Best can pull a McFadden and have a good year, LeShoure becomes Detroits' version of JSTEW: the guy everyone knows can do it but can't be started above a super dynamic player. If Best doesnt' pull a McFadden, Leshoure still becomes JSTEW: The guy that many overpay for and WILL have some good games, but will always be tapped on the shoulder and relegated as soon as Best can get back to the field because you simply can not ignore what Best can do (and the coach himself has likened that to Chris Johnson type dynamics).

Barring a season-ending injury to Best, I don't think LeShoure owners are ever going to think that he lives up to his price and expectation.

Barring a season-ending injury to Best, I don't think LeShoure owners are ever going to think that he lives up to his price and expectation.
All NFL rb's get injured. Best is 199 pounds. He will get injured more than most. No "barring injury" talk when it comes to Best. That is exactly why Leshoure was drafted.

Shutout,

You can't get caught up in the Lion's were this team prior to having this and look at their track record for the last x amout of years and that is the way it will remain. Teams go out and get players for specific reasons. What do you think the reason is for drafting Leshoure?

What is it you see in Best that says Leshoure can or won't be the 250 carry guy for 1000 plus yards and 8 plus TD's a year player?

All NFL rb's get injured. Best is 199 pounds. He will get injured more than most. No "barring injury" talk when it comes to Best. That is exactly why Leshoure was drafted.
and Best already has a significant injury history dating back to college. I have a hard time believing Best's touches won't be affected by LeShoure. I would think LeShoure is a better between the tackles RB. Best will be used a lot and may get more touches than LeShoure, but I think Best's number of carries is going to drop. Best has 1 terrific NFL game to his career. It's not like he was dominant last year. He hasn't shown the ability to be effective between the tackles; until he does that, I think his status is certainly questionable.

He is a play maker no doubt about it, but his 563 yards on 172 carries for a 3.27 ypc is awful. Many will blame it on the turf toe which I am sure had some effect on it, but he seems like the guy that will be extremely frustrating to own. He did not have rushing td from week 3 to week 17 last year. So his last 141 rushing attempts yielded no TD's. And that was on a team that had no where near a guy of Leshoure's ability on the team.

Best just like Sproles will get a couple of hand offs and make some plays and have some nice yards and the fantasy football community will wonder why he is not getting more touches and claim that more touches would be huge for him.

However, the staff will know that pounding Leshoure and wearing down the defense while mixing the speedy Best in to catch passes and run some plays will give their team the best chance to win.

Leshoure was brought in as the power and work horse guy. This does not mean that Best will not have some value, but that value will be mainly in PPR leagues.
The staff has seen enough to know that after only 1 year of taking Best at the 30th spot, that they had to spend the 57th pick on a very good running back in Leshoure who has a much different skill set than Best.Like I said I think that Best's game fits a role very similar to Sproles, although Best is a better version of Sproles and therefore will be a bigger contributor than Sproles and receive more touches.

Take a look at Best's situational stats. In 2010, his YPC in the first quarter of a game was 3.8, in the second quarter of a game it was 3.5, in the third quarter of a game 3.1 and in the fourth quarter of a game 2.1 ypc.

Best's skill set and build is not meant to be a grinder and get 20 plus hand offs a game. I am not sure what the Lion's intentions were when the selected Best with the 30th pick. My guess is they hoped he would be able to shoulder a descent sized load, but their selection of Leshoure speaks volume about how they plan on using Best going forward. Best will/can still be very important to the Lion's success. But he will probably be more important to the Lions than he is to fantasy fooball teams.
You think they seen enough, he got turf toe in week 3?I feel like i have had this argument before, Tiki Barber, Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker, Amhad Brashaw, Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice, Darren Mcfadden, Lesean Mccoy, etc. EVERYONE was saying the same thing about Bush/Mcfadden last year. Mcfadden has never been healthy(mostly due to dual turf toe injuries), that Bush would be the starter and Mcfadden would have some value in PPR's.

My dynasty rosters are/were packed with players that were undervalued because they couldnt handle "the full load".

The more talented player is going to get the most touches, not the guy who can handle the most work. Leshoure will certainly cost Best some touches, but it might be for the better. Look at what happened to Forte when they brought in Chester Taylor. There are pleny of RB touches to go around for two players, Best will likely benefit with the pressure of being the Lions entire running game off his shoulders this season. Losing goalline touches will hurt, but was anyone thinking before the draft that Best would get the short yardage work in 2011?

The staff has seen enough to know that after only 1 year of taking Best at the 30th spot, that they had to spend the 57th pick on a very good running back in Leshoure who has a much different skill set than Best.Like I said I think that Best's game fits a role very similar to Sproles, although Best is a better version of Sproles and therefore will be a bigger contributor than Sproles and receive more touches.

Take a look at Best's situational stats. In 2010, his YPC in the first quarter of a game was 3.8, in the second quarter of a game it was 3.5, in the third quarter of a game 3.1 and in the fourth quarter of a game 2.1 ypc.

Best's skill set and build is not meant to be a grinder and get 20 plus hand offs a game. I am not sure what the Lion's intentions were when the selected Best with the 30th pick. My guess is they hoped he would be able to shoulder a descent sized load, but their selection of Leshoure speaks volume about how they plan on using Best going forward. Best will/can still be very important to the Lion's success. But he will probably be more important to the Lions than he is to fantasy fooball teams.
You think they seen enough, he got turf toe in week 3?I feel like i have had this argument before, Tiki Barber, Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker, Amhad Brashaw, Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice, Darren Mcfadden, Lesean Mccoy, etc. EVERYONE was saying the same thing about Bush/Mcfadden last year. Mcfadden has never been healthy(mostly due to dual turf toe injuries), that Bush would be the starter and Mcfadden would have some value in PPR's.

My dynasty rosters are/were packed with players that were undervalued because they couldnt handle "the full load".

The more talented player is going to get the most touches, not the guy who can handle the most work. Leshoure will certainly cost Best some touches, but it might be for the better. Look at what happened to Forte when they brought in Chester Taylor. There are pleny of RB touches to go around for two players, Best will likely benefit with the pressure of being the Lions entire running game off his shoulders this season. Losing goalline touches will hurt, but was anyone thinking before the draft that Best would get the short yardage work in 2011?
Comparing Chester Taylor to the Leshoure situation is two totally different things. Taylor was always to be the back up.Bush was drafted before McFadden so if anything it was the opposite of what you are saying.

Slaton proved to be a one year wonder and was replaced by the bigger back Foster.

Best can still be a very important piece, and a big part of the game plan, but making predictions right now with what we have seen in 2010 and with the selection of Leshoure it would tough to say Best has a large number of touches in the future.

I am not saying Best can't handle the full load, in fact I think in the Lion's best interest and their intentions with Best is to have 2 effective backs like Charles and Thomas Jones did this year. I just don't know if Best can be Charles, or if Leshoure can be Jones, but that is their intentions is my guess.

Do you have any links that show "small" backs (since you mentioned 199 pounds) get injured more than most other backs? Best had turf toe injuries last season which have nothing to do with being small.

and Best already has a significant injury history dating back to college.
His most significant injury (concussion/neck) was caused by him flipping into the endzone on his own celebrating a TD.

His most significant injury (concussion/neck) was caused by him flipping into the endzone on his own celebrating a TD.
:no:

Everybody keeps speaking about Best and his guaranteed injuries that are going to occur in 2011 because he is built like an ubervag. These same people need to acknowledge that the injury that he had in no way had to do with his size or toughness. Did Best leave last season because of a concussion? Did he miss a game because he busted his shoulder from taking a hit from a dude that was twice his size? No. Now somebody like Ryan Matthews, his upright running style seemed to relate to him getting nicked up. He is a guy who is getting a free pass on injuries.

I think people are panicking on Best and I think he will have seasons that will resemble Chris Johnson's rookie season with more catches.

Why are we failing to recognize that Best is till technically unproven at the NFL level? I'm not saying he won't be a stud, but he has yet to live up to the hype.

That is not correct.

Users who are viewing this thread