What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best (2 Viewers)

I own Jermichael Finley, Arian Foster, Jahvid Best, Kareem Huggins, and both Mike Williams. I am dialed in. The Shark Pool hype train is for me this year!

if the point you're trying to make is that the Lions don't have an offensive line, I would like to know what you're basing that on. The yards per carry average of Kevin Smith, an average running back?
I'm basing it on me watching them play. But I guess if you want me to cite some objective experts, FO had their line last year rated at 29/22 run/pass. They gave up 43 sacks, which is ungood.
I doubt you've spent hours going over Lions game film and analyzing their offensive line's play. I can see you were able to look up stats from last year which can be the result of many factors including having three different starting quarterbacks and an average at best running back. You're obviously an expert on the Lions offensive line though, so I concede.
:(

Last year, the Lions did not have a left guard all year who could be considered average, their right guard (Peterman) was decent, but got hurt and missed several games. The right tackle spot was below average.

This year, Rob Sims is playing left guard and while he is not a pro bowler, he has been a major upgrade in both pass protection and run blocking. Last year, Backus constantly had to slide towards the inside to block the player that the left guard whiffed on, which caused the right end he was supposed to be blocking to put pressure on the QB. I haven't seen much if any of this in preseason. Sims has made a huge difference. Peterman has been solid enough at right guard. Cherilus at right tackle has been a bit more consistent, but that position is the biggest question mark. Cherilus can definitely play, but he has to be more consistent and avoid mental lapses.

While the line is not great by any stretch, it is not as bad as some people think. There is too much comparison to last year. This line is much better than last year's line. It isn't considered a good line, but it should be adequate enough so we don't have to avoid drafting Lions' skill players.

Last year, the Lions did not have a left guard all year who could be considered average, their right guard (Peterman) was decent, but got hurt and missed several games. The right tackle spot was below average. This year, Rob Sims is playing left guard and while he is not a pro bowler, he has been a major upgrade in both pass protection and run blocking. Last year, Backus constantly had to slide towards the inside to block the player that the left guard whiffed on, which caused the right end he was supposed to be blocking to put pressure on the QB. I haven't seen much if any of this in preseason. Sims has made a huge difference. Peterman has been solid enough at right guard. Cherilus at right tackle has been a bit more consistent, but that position is the biggest question mark. Cherilus can definitely play, but he has to be more consistent and avoid mental lapses. While the line is not great by any stretch, it is not as bad as some people think. There is too much comparison to last year. This line is much better than last year's line. It isn't considered a good line, but it should be adequate enough so we don't have to avoid drafting Lions' skill players.
Thank you. Detroit's o-line isn't going to take over games and dominate, but they are going to cost us games either. An injury or two and our line could be a total disaster, but that is probably true for 2/3 of the league.

Ilov80s said:
Anthony Borbely said:
Last year, the Lions did not have a left guard all year who could be considered average, their right guard (Peterman) was decent, but got hurt and missed several games. The right tackle spot was below average. This year, Rob Sims is playing left guard and while he is not a pro bowler, he has been a major upgrade in both pass protection and run blocking. Last year, Backus constantly had to slide towards the inside to block the player that the left guard whiffed on, which caused the right end he was supposed to be blocking to put pressure on the QB. I haven't seen much if any of this in preseason. Sims has made a huge difference. Peterman has been solid enough at right guard. Cherilus at right tackle has been a bit more consistent, but that position is the biggest question mark. Cherilus can definitely play, but he has to be more consistent and avoid mental lapses. While the line is not great by any stretch, it is not as bad as some people think. There is too much comparison to last year. This line is much better than last year's line. It isn't considered a good line, but it should be adequate enough so we don't have to avoid drafting Lions' skill players.
Thank you. Detroit's o-line isn't going to take over games and dominate, but they are going to cost us games either. An injury or two and our line could be a total disaster, but that is probably true for 2/3 of the league.
Best will make the OL better. He doesn't need as big a hole or for the hole to be opened as long as most other backs due to his speed and vision.I saw a stat posted elsewhere comparing the 4 top backs (Best, Matthews, Spiller and Gerhart) in this year's draft:Just for fun. 20+ yard runs-these are from 2007-2009RB A: 24 on 477 carriesRB B: 25 on 565 carriesRB C: 34 on 363 carriesRB D: 28 on 534 carriesBest is C. This stat is indicative of his big play ability. All he needs is one or two plays where he gets decent blocking and he'll run for 20+ yards.His college game translates very well into the NFL. If Best stays healthy, he will have a long and very productive career.

Best will make the OL better. He doesn't need as big a hole or for the hole to be opened as long as most other backs due to his speed and vision.I saw a stat posted elsewhere comparing the 4 top backs (Best, Matthews, Spiller and Gerhart) in this year's draft:Just for fun. 20+ yard runs-these are from 2007-2009RB A: 24 on 477 carriesRB B: 25 on 565 carriesRB C: 34 on 363 carriesRB D: 28 on 534 carriesBest is C. This stat is indicative of his big play ability. All he needs is one or two plays where he gets decent blocking and he'll run for 20+ yards.His college game translates very well into the NFL. If Best stays healthy, he will have a long and very productive career.
Watching Best hit the holes is a thing of beauty. I have never seen a running back hit holes so quickly, and then he has incredible break away speed once he is through. The one thing he lacks is power. The thing that concerns me is he runs fearlessly. He is going to have to learn to pick his battles and avoid hits if he wants to last long in this league. You don't have to finish off those 20 yard runs trying to squeak out another yard.

timschochet said:
I own Jermichael Finley, Arian Foster, Jahvid Best, Kareem Huggins, and both Mike Williams. I am dialed in. The Shark Pool hype train is for me this year!
:unsure: I have four of the six. Love the Pool.

Heard a rumor that Barry Sanders is coming out of retirement just so he can carry Best's shoulder pads off the practice field.

Anyone else notice Best out runs his blockers in the second level ?

I knew he was a special player after I saw his first carry.He has that wow factor like Barry.

OK, so far we have:

a) Det's OL only looked bad last year because Kevin Smith and their QBs were bad

b) Rob Sims (an average LG) will save the day

c) Jahvid Best doesn't need an OL at all, because of how super awesome he is

Is there anything else?

I like Best, but I have to agree that the hype train is WAY out of control. At least the Finley hype can be tied to pretty impressive production the second half of the season last year. Dynasty wise, I'd go all in on Best. Redraft, this is still a 2-14 team with a second year qb, below average o-line and a pretty difficult schedule vs. the run. I see improvement from Detroit but Best is officially being drafted at his ceiling. Certain people are making it sound like Detroit is going to have a jauggernaut offense. These guys aren't going to average 28 points a game. I have him in 1 league, and honestly, I'm excited about his potential, but I was able to get him I in the 6th round. He is starting to go in the low 2nd.

OK, so far we have:a) Det's OL only looked bad last year because Kevin Smith and their QBs were badb) Rob Sims (an average LG) will save the dayc) Jahvid Best doesn't need an OL at all, because of how super awesome he isIs there anything else?
Stafford was a rookie. QB's make their biggest leap from their first to second year. Stafford will be a much better QB this year. Kevin Smith got holes last year, just had no breakaway ability. Sure, the improvements to the Offensive Line seems only a small step, but when you have a back who can break big runs at any time, you motivate the line to block a little harder and you keep the defense on their heels. The Lions will easily one of the most improved teams in the NFL, despite the naysayers. Winning is contagious, and as the Lions climb back to respectability, players will start performing to their true potential instead of just mailing it in. There is real hope for a decent football team in Detroit, something that hasn't been there in many of years.

For the people citing the concussion, here it is.

I think he fell on his head from about 10'-0" high. I don't know if one concussion leads to getting others easier, but this one seemed like a fluky play where he leaped over the goal and got flipped.

For the people citing the concussion, here it is.

One concussion does lead to others....I did research on it. It wasn't Best's first concussion however....so they are even more likely now.

The concern with Best is he has had multiple injuries....concussions, dislocated elbow, and I think i'm forgetting another.

I guess since this thread's reached double digits it must mean he's the shark pool fav, happy to see that since the last 2 have been Chris Johnson and Percy Harvin and like those 2 I went after and got Best too. :confused:

This is why I'm happy I college ball, my rookie drafts are the first week of May so I can get these guys before the hype machine takes them up to their appropriate value.

Best's going to be huge.

timschochet said:
I have Finley, Best, Spiller, and Stafford to go with Moss, Nicks, and Sjax in my money league this year. Unfortunately that's the only team I have Best on.One thing to think about that everyone on this thread should consider. The Bears in recent years have been just awful when it comes to stopping electric backs. The way AP has torn them a new one is becoming epic:2008:22 121 5.5 54 28 131 4.7 59 12009:25 85 3.4 15 124 94 3.9 10 2MJD 2008:12 55 4.6 14 0 7 47 6.7 19 1I think Best is going to tear the Bears a new one and possibly go off for 100+ rushing, 50+ receiving, and maybe multiple TDs. It will be hard for his value to get any higher than that. The smart move is to trade him if that happens. It will be hard to do but if one of Gore, Sjax, Mendenhall, or D-Will has a bad game week 1, you could get one of them straight up. Then it really becomes a question of just how special you think this kid is going to be.

Ive been trying to get Best off the guy in 1 of my money leagues not only because I really like Best, but because he has Turner and Greene ahead of Best and is real weak at WR with Hines and Floyd as his top 2 WR's.

My initial offer: Santana Moss and Marshawn Lynch for Best - he declines

His counter: Miles Austin and Lynch for Best - I decline

My counter: Hakeem Nicks and Lynch for Best - he declines

His counter: Santana Moss and McGahee for Best :shrug:

I love Nicks this year, and he actually said he'd rather have Moss so thats why he countered with that. I thought it was a steal for me as soon as I saw it, but double checked with a buddy just in case. He agreed. Consider me STOKED!

I like Best, but I have to agree that the hype train is WAY out of control. At least the Finley hype can be tied to pretty impressive production the second half of the season last year. Dynasty wise, I'd go all in on Best. Redraft, this is still a 2-14 team with a second year qb, below average o-line and a pretty difficult schedule vs. the run. I see improvement from Detroit but Best is officially being drafted at his ceiling. Certain people are making it sound like Detroit is going to have a jauggernaut offense. These guys aren't going to average 28 points a game. I have him in 1 league, and honestly, I'm excited about his potential, but I was able to get him I in the 6th round. He is starting to go in the low 2nd.
Best went first overall in your draft?

Best went first overall in your draft?
I am taking this as a joke

OK, so far we have:a) Det's OL only looked bad last year because Kevin Smith and their QBs were badb) Rob Sims (an average LG) will save the dayc) Jahvid Best doesn't need an OL at all, because of how super awesome he isIs there anything else?
a) No, Kevin Smith looked bad because Kevin Smith was badb) Nobody said Sims would save the day even if I knew what saving the day equates to in football. He's an improvement.c) Nobody said Jahvid Best doesn't need an offensive line but great running backs tend to make an average line look pretty damn good.

Last edited by a moderator:
a) No, Kevin Smith looked bad because Kevin Smith was badb) Nobody said Sims would save the day even if I knew what saving the day equates to in football. He's an improvement.c) Nobody said Jahvid Best doesn't need an offensive line but great running backs tend to make an average line look pretty damn good.
You don't understand. The next letter is "d"

ROBOPUNTER said:
shnikies said:
ROBOPUNTER said:
It'd be great if your next post had some sort of substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
ROBOPUNTER said:
shnikies said:
ROBOPUNTER said:
What else is there to say? You are going nuts over a guy from his youtube college and preseason highlights. You want to ignore my own opinion on how poorly Det's OL played last year and got your feelings hurt when I told you FO said the same thing. You want to blame failures of Det's OL on Kevin Smith and assume they are going to not cause issues in 2010. You automatically assume Stafford is going to get better this year, but that's no guarantee either. People are even citing a three years removed free agent el-busto Nate Burleson as reasons for the Det offense to improve. I think I even read some insanity suggesting Pettigrew and Scheffler were the most talented (or among the most talented, whatever that means (considering there are only 32 teams in the league, it's easy to be top 10 in anything) Hell, you are already calling Jahvid Best a "great" running back before he has taken a single NFL snap yet. I went back and re-read your posts, and I initially thought you were just using hyperbole to have fun with the other posters here, but now I do see that you are just swept up in this nutcassery that is the Jahvid Best fanclub. I don't think you even entertain the idea that he may not have a great season. Substance? Of course I'm not giving you substance. Would you know what a substantive post that disagrees with you look like anyway? This is a Jahvid Best fanclub headed by a homer dressed in expert's clothing. This gives the rest of the folks posting in this thread license to run away with the craziness. You don't want substance anyway. You want people to agree with you. You want people to go :scared: to your silly McDonald's shake post, or think you actually made a point with your comparison of a writer's piece two years ago with something that he said this year, because, you know... if a writer gets something wrong once, he should just change his profession. But please, tell me what you think I should say, besides "Jahvid Best is perhaps the most powerful force in the universe" because that's all there is really left to say in this thread.

ROBOPUNTER said:
shnikies said:
ROBOPUNTER said:
OK, so far we have:

a) Det's OL only looked bad last year because Kevin Smith and their QBs were bad

b) Rob Sims (an average LG) will save the day

c) Jahvid Best doesn't need an OL at all, because of how super awesome he is

Is there anything else?
a) No, Kevin Smith looked bad because Kevin Smith was badb) Nobody said Sims would save the day even if I knew what saving the day equates to in football. He's an improvement.

c) Nobody said Jahvid Best doesn't need an offensive line but great running backs tend to make an average line look pretty damn good.
What else is there to say? You are going nuts over a guy from his youtube college and preseason highlights. You want to ignore my own opinion on how poorly Det's OL played last year and got your feelings hurt when I told you FO said the same thing. You want to blame failures of Det's OL on Kevin Smith and assume they are going to not cause issues in 2010. You automatically assume Stafford is going to get better this year, but that's no guarantee either. People are even citing a three years removed free agent el-busto Nate Burleson as reasons for the Det offense to improve. I think I even read some insanity suggesting Pettigrew and Scheffler were the most talented (or among the most talented, whatever that means (considering there are only 32 teams in the league, it's easy to be top 10 in anything) Hell, you are already calling Jahvid Best a "great" running back before he has taken a single NFL snap yet. I went back and re-read your posts, and I initially thought you were just using hyperbole to have fun with the other posters here, but now I do see that you are just swept up in this nutcassery that is the Jahvid Best fanclub. I don't think you even entertain the idea that he may not have a great season. Substance? Of course I'm not giving you substance. Would you know what a substantive post that disagrees with you look like anyway? This is a Jahvid Best fanclub headed by a homer dressed in expert's clothing. This gives the rest of the folks posting in this thread license to run away with the craziness. You don't want substance anyway. You want people to agree with you. You want people to go :goodposting: to your silly McDonald's shake post, or think you actually made a point with your comparison of a writer's piece two years ago with something that he said this year, because, you know... if a writer gets something wrong once, he should just change his profession. But please, tell me what you think I should say, besides "Jahvid Best is perhaps the most powerful force in the universe" because that's all there is really left to say in this thread.
Congrats, you finally wrote a post that actually tries to make a point. That's all I was asking for.I have a strange feeling the only analysis you've done on the Lions offensive line is look up Kevin Smith's YPC average. You know what really helps a YPC average? The ability to make someone miss.

If Nate Burleson is an improvement over Bryant Johnson then wouldn't that mean he'll improve the offense?

Yes, football players can be great football players before they play in the NFL. I didn't know the NFL only allowed good football players into the league. Is there a league above the NFL where the great players play?

Of course there's a chance he might not have a great season. There's a chance for anyone to have any type of season. The point is that people think he will have a great season, nobody knows for sure.

If you haven't noticed there are a lot of exaggerations in the bandwagon threads, get used to them or don't read them.

You guys think Best is a good start over Marion Barber this week?? I'm itching to see what this guy can do and would hate to have him explode on my frigging bench!!!!!!

You guys think Best is a good start over Marion Barber this week?? I'm itching to see what this guy can do and would hate to have him explode on my frigging bench!!!!!!
ummm without doubt. I benched CHI D this week in anticipation of it..I have Best as well lol

Im rolling with Best this week, no doubt

What better week to start him then his 1st game ever; the Bears have no tape on the kid and no experience against him

i have to start 2 of Charles, P.Thomas, & Best .... i could be crazy & havent totally made up my mind, but im leaning towards Thomas & Charles .... part of me wants to see Best do it for 4 quarters in NFL.

:excited:

i have to start 2 of Charles, P.Thomas, & Best .... i could be crazy & havent totally made up my mind, but im leaning towards Thomas & Charles .... part of me wants to see Best do it for 4 quarters in NFL. :excited:
I wouldnt even think twice about starting Best over Thomas.Id go best and charles. EXPLOSIVE

i have to start 2 of Charles, P.Thomas, & Best .... i could be crazy & havent totally made up my mind, but im leaning towards Thomas & Charles .... part of me wants to see Best do it for 4 quarters in NFL. :lmao:
I am in same boat.I am starting Charles and Best. Not thinking twice about it either. I also love the fact the Chiefs play Monday night 10:15pm. Im hoping my game is already wrapped up by then :D

CBS saying he was taking snaps today as wildcat QB
Now that he'll probably get a few passing td's is he as valuable as guys like 4.24/adp/mjd types in dynasty leagues?Is a stat line of 1,500 rushing/500 receiving/20 total td's with a couple hundred passing yards realistic?

Users who are viewing this thread