What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jermichael Finley (1 Viewer)

jdoggydogg said:
I drafted him in the last round of a keeper league for next year. If Donald Lee doesn't get traded I honestly don't know how long it will be before I drop him for a Defensive bye filler. The kid does have potential tho.
I can't decide who to keep Finley or Keller?Finley could be a top 5 te in an explosive offense or he could be a total non factor. I will say he has looked like an absolute beast in the pre-season.My best guess is that Finley is the man in G.B. and he puts up very solid numbers.
Let's not get carried away here. Keller is a much safer option.
48/535/3 is a decent season for a rookie TE, but he downgrades from Favre to Sanchez, and moves to a run oriented coach who comes from a team whose TEs combined for 422 yards and 5 TDs last year in an 11-5 season with a different rookie quarterback. I'm not advocating either one, but I wouldn't call Keller a "safe" option. He's got potential, and so does Finley.
But Keller's also a talented receiver on a team without a lot of established WR talent. I am glad to have Finley on my team, but I wouldn't take Finley over Keller right now.

jdoggydogg said:
I drafted him in the last round of a keeper league for next year. If Donald Lee doesn't get traded I honestly don't know how long it will be before I drop him for a Defensive bye filler. The kid does have potential tho.
I can't decide who to keep Finley or Keller?Finley could be a top 5 te in an explosive offense or he could be a total non factor. I will say he has looked like an absolute beast in the pre-season.My best guess is that Finley is the man in G.B. and he puts up very solid numbers.
Let's not get carried away here. Keller is a much safer option.
48/535/3 is a decent season for a rookie TE, but he downgrades from Favre to Sanchez, and moves to a run oriented coach who comes from a team whose TEs combined for 422 yards and 5 TDs last year in an 11-5 season with a different rookie quarterback. I'm not advocating either one, but I wouldn't call Keller a "safe" option. He's got potential, and so does Finley.
But Keller's also a talented receiver on a team without a lot of established WR talent. I am glad to have Finley on my team, but I wouldn't take Finley over Keller right now.
Well, between Cotchery, Jones and Washington. there are a lot of dumpoff targets competing for a piece of a smaller pie this year with Sanchez. It also depends on the league. I think Keller gets more receptions for more yards in a worse offense, but Finley gets more TDs in a better one. They're both decent sleeper TEs who will probably be drafted earlier in 2010 and beyond.

I was down on keller until i saw Sanchez...kid looks real good. No way I'd take Finley over Keller.

Okay, I took a late-round flyer on Finley in my dynasty league . . . but seriously, the man-love for this yet-unproven TE has goten a bit carried away. His athleticism is on par with guys like Martellus Bennett and Jared Cook, but, like those two, Finley is raw. He is a great stash player for dynasty purposes, and he could emerge as soon as this season. I'd bet you dollars to donuts he will not finish in the top 5 at TE this season, however. Tame your enthusiasm, folks.

Okay, I took a late-round flyer on Finley in my dynasty league . . . but seriously, the man-love for this yet-unproven TE has goten a bit carried away. His athleticism is on par with guys like Martellus Bennett and Jared Cook, but, like those two, Finley is raw. He is a great stash player for dynasty purposes, and he could emerge as soon as this season. I'd bet you dollars to donuts he will not finish in the top 5 at TE this season, however. Tame your enthusiasm, folks.
The enthusiasm surrounding Finley this year is similar to the hype B. Watson received a few years ago. I hope the results are not the same as I drafted Finley as my #1.

6 yard catch , hopefully he does better next week
I would view him as a work-in-progress. It would have been nice to have seen him getting looks by Rodgers in the first game, but will probably take some patience to see if his role expands.I would certainly not go with him as one's primary TE.

The Packers oline was a bit of a mess last night. Finley is a talent and will have some very good games this year. I think its going to be 2010 before he can be counted on to be a consistently good fantasy starter.

The Packers oline was a bit of a mess last night. Finley is a talent and will have some very good games this year. I think its going to be 2010 before he can be counted on to be a consistently good fantasy starter.
Barbre was getting beat pretty badly last night, so they may need to use Finley and Co. to block more often right now until Barbre becomes more acclimated and confident, which he was in the second half. Hard to put your eggs in a rookie TE's basket, just such a demanding position.

Now that the cat is back in the bag, who do you cut him to pick up?
I think that'd be a week 1 overreaction and a mistake to cut Finley already. Rodgers did not look like he did last year back there against that physical Bears D. I'd expect Finley to pick it up when Rodgers has some more time and is more comfortable in the pocket not worrying about a smackdown from Urlacher.

they needed lee to help with the protection. chicago was putting tremendous pressure on rodgers all night. not every team they will face can put up that kind of defensive pressure for an entire game.

No doubt Finley has been overrated by some on this board; consequently, there will be some rather disappointed owners who were counting on Finley to be "uncoverable" and weekly rank among the top 5 or 10 TE's. He is a raw talent who is going to take time to develop. Sheer athleticism does not guarantee one will be a dominant Tight End. Ask those of us who carried Johnny Mitchell or Rickey Dudley on or fantasy rosters, or more recently, Vernon Davis. That said, the jury is still out on Finley. He could blossom into the next Antonio Gates, or he could be a tease and fizzle out. For Dynasty leagues, he is worth stashing. For deeper redraft leagues, he is worth stashing away, as well, provided you do not have to rely on his production for now. It is only week #1, and the Green Bay offense was certainly not firing on all cylinders. If you can afford to be patient, hold onto him. If you need an immediate weekly starter, look elsewhere.

Well, between Cotchery, Jones and Washington. there are a lot of dumpoff targets competing for a piece of a smaller pie this year with Sanchez. It also depends on the league. I think Keller gets more receptions for more yards in a worse offense, but Finley gets more TDs in a better one. They're both decent sleeper TEs who will probably be drafted earlier in 2010 and beyond.
Keller's not a sleeper.

socrates said:
No doubt Finley has been overrated by some on this board; consequently, there will be some rather disappointed owners who were counting on Finley to be "uncoverable" and weekly rank among the top 5 or 10 TE's. He is a raw talent who is going to take time to develop. Sheer athleticism does not guarantee one will be a dominant Tight End. Ask those of us who carried Johnny Mitchell or Rickey Dudley on or fantasy rosters, or more recently, Vernon Davis. That said, the jury is still out on Finley. He could blossom into the next Antonio Gates, or he could be a tease and fizzle out. For Dynasty leagues, he is worth stashing. For deeper redraft leagues, he is worth stashing away, as well, provided you do not have to rely on his production for now. It is only week #1, and the Green Bay offense was certainly not firing on all cylinders. If you can afford to be patient, hold onto him. If you need an immediate weekly starter, look elsewhere.
Rickey Dudley and Vernon Davis have bad hands. I don't think that's an apt comparison.

Wadsworth said:
Well, I did before the season and cut him for Caddy as soon as our draft was over and Caddy had just been named #1. Had 2nd waiver priority so I got him.

socrates said:
Rickey Dudley and Vernon Davis have bad hands. I don't think that's an apt comparison.
Your point is taken. Nor does Finley have their speed. It was not meant as a comparison of their skill sets, but rather as examples of Tight Ends who have teased fantasy owners with their athletic potential, yet failed to translate that althleticism into production. I am not suggesting, mind you, that Finley will necessarily follow suit. I am merely cautioning that he is yet raw and should not be considered an immediate fantasy starter. Finley is on my dynasty roster, so count me among those who believe he has the potential to make some noise, just maybe not with any consistency right away.

Patoons said:
Wadsworth said:
I think that'd be a week 1 overreaction and a mistake to cut Finley already. Rodgers did not look like he did last year back there against that physical Bears D. I'd expect Finley to pick it up when Rodgers has some more time and is more comfortable in the pocket not worrying about a smackdown from Urlacher.
:wall: Finley still has value if you can wait on his potential. I've got him backing up A Gates in my money deep-keeper ... hoping that Finley can emerge this later this year or next as Gates continues his (hopefully slow) decline.

Patoons said:
Wadsworth said:
:goodposting: Finley still has value if you can wait on his potential. I've got him backing up A Gates in my money deep-keeper ... hoping that Finley can emerge this later this year or next as Gates continues his (hopefully slow) decline.
Okay, you got me . . . what is it they say in China? ( As they say in China: 真的吗 )

socrates said:
Your point is taken. Nor does Finley have their speed. It was not meant as a comparison of their skill sets, but rather as examples of Tight Ends who have teased fantasy owners with their athletic potential, yet failed to translate that althleticism into production. I am not suggesting, mind you, that Finley will necessarily follow suit. I am merely cautioning that he is yet raw and should not be considered an immediate fantasy starter. Finley is on my dynasty roster, so count me among those who believe he has the potential to make some noise, just maybe not with any consistency right away.
Absolutely. We agree. I knew I wanted to draft Finley early this summer, and I always intended to snag him as my #2 TE. So I plan on starting Chris Baker until Finley makes it impossible for me to bench him.

Nice game for Finley in week 2. I am very torn about putting him in my lineup for week 3.

If the Packers dominate the Rams like they should, then I think Finley could have a zero catch game. But I have a sneaky suspicion that the Rams are going to build up a big lead early in this game and the Pack will be forced to throw the ball a lot. I know that sounds crazy, but you have to re-assess the Pack after getting beat by Cincy in Green Bay.

It was definitely promising to see the targets go up in week 2, but it probably remains to be seen whether he's becoming a big part of the passing game (and well above and beyond Donald Lee).

As has been said, lots of passing options in that offense.

Would any of you trade Finley for Celek? I have the opportunity to do so. I have Zack Miller as my #1 TE right now.

Donald Lee got his bell rung and said he was actually numb for a moments after being hit. If he doesn't play, that obviously helps Jermichael. The bad offensive line hurts Finley though, because he is kept in to pass block more. I expect this to be a very tough game for Green Bay. St. Louis is an underrated team who hasn't played a home game yet. I don't know if that really matters as far as Finley's fantasy prospects are concerned though.

Would any of you trade Finley for Celek? I have the opportunity to do so. I have Zack Miller as my #1 TE right now.
For redraft definitely. Curtis doesn't seem to be catching much, while Jackson, Avant and Celek have been getting the passing love. Kolb seems to love Celek a little more than McNabb but McNabb likes his TE's just fine. All in all Celek is a better TE2 than Finley in redraft. If it's dynasty and you are going for a win this year Celek gives you a more consistent option to pair with the boom or bust Miller. Finley and Miller will likely have similar boom or bust production. As a longer term hold in dynasty I would have said Finley out right a week ago. After the way Celek played last week he might have similar long term upside. You have to wonder why the Eagles keep trying to replace him (Trading for Gonzelez last year and drafting Ingram this year)

Donald Lee got his bell rung and said he was actually numb for a moments after being hit. If he doesn't play, that obviously helps Jermichael. The bad offensive line hurts Finley though, because he is kept in to pass block more. I expect this to be a very tough game for Green Bay. St. Louis is an underrated team who hasn't played a home game yet. I don't know if that really matters as far as Finley's fantasy prospects are concerned though.
The one flip side to that is if Aaron Rogers has protection problems, the underneath routes to Finley and Lee are easier and take less time to develop.

link to packer blog

so with Lee going out last week, JMF looked good racking up +50 yards and getting a red zone target or two. Not sure why FBGS list him so low (expecting 30 yards) when he's playing the rams, who have lately sucked at covering the TE.

Might be a sharky play this week.

link to packer blog

so with Lee going out last week, JMF looked good racking up +50 yards and getting a red zone target or two. Not sure why FBGS list him so low (expecting 30 yards) when he's playing the rams, who have lately sucked at covering the TE.

From your link.Monday, September 21, 2009

McCarthy: Packers preparing to play without Clifton

Coach Mike McCarthy is set to speak to reporters shortly in the Lambeau Field media auditorium. We'll post the newsy stuff as it comes. Refresh for the latest.

* On Collins: Has clavicle sprain. Will see how he is on Wednesday. Too early to give prognosis.

* On Clifton: Has sprain; too early to tell how long he might miss. X-ray negative. That's a positive. Preparing to play without him. Likely will stick with group that finished Sunday's game.

* On Rouse: Neck stinger.

* On Donald Lee: He's fine. All tests negative.

Picked him up again this week after cutting him following his 1 target in week 1.

I'm gonna have a ridiculous roller coaster ride with this guy all season long -- behind Dallas Clark anyway -- but I just have huge man-love for this dude.

link to packer blog

From your link.Monday, September 21, 2009

McCarthy: Packers preparing to play without Clifton

Coach Mike McCarthy is set to speak to reporters shortly in the Lambeau Field media auditorium. We'll post the newsy stuff as it comes. Refresh for the latest.

* On Collins: Has clavicle sprain. Will see how he is on Wednesday. Too early to give prognosis.

* On Clifton: Has sprain; too early to tell how long he might miss. X-ray negative. That's a positive. Preparing to play without him. Likely will stick with group that finished Sunday's game.

* On Rouse: Neck stinger.

* On Donald Lee: He's fine. All tests negative.
Oh I know. But he's coming off an injury. And JMF certainly has looked more explosive, and "uncoverable" than Lee (ergo the kind of TE they'd use to exploit the weaknesses in the Rams LB's. And coming off an injury likely means JMF will spend more time with the first team.

Still going to stash him on my roster, but zero points is unacceptable.
It was acceptable enough to keep him on your roster. :goodposting:
Excited about his potential. Frustrated at zero points on a day where Rogers had a huge day.The worst part is I targeted Brent Celek in my dynasty draft this year, but couldn't pass up a bargain in DeSean Jackson. So now I have a great WR corps and a crap TE corps.

Fact is the Packers have a lot of weapons to choose from. Donald Driver is playing out of his mind so far.

Finley played a lot yesterday, but wasn't really involved in the passing game. It will be a roller coaster ride for him this year.

jdoggydogg said:
TommyGilmore said:
jdoggydogg said:
Still going to stash him on my roster, but zero points is unacceptable.
It was acceptable enough to keep him on your roster. :)
Excited about his potential. Frustrated at zero points on a day where Rogers had a huge day.The worst part is I targeted Brent Celek in my dynasty draft this year, but couldn't pass up a bargain in DeSean Jackson. So now I have a great WR corps and a crap TE corps.
Rodgers only had 13 completions in the game. He passed up an open Finley on a shorter route a couple times to throw it deep instead. Also, it looked to me like Donald Lee got significantly more playing time in this game.too many options in Green Bay.

With GB's Oline being a mess and Lee being the better blocker, I'm not sure how Finley is going to get a chance to make an impact this year. Looking ahead to next week and how VD abused the Vikings I would like to think that he has a real chance to do something but no way do I insert him onto a starting line-up.

I have V Davis, Finley, Scaife, and Jared Cook on my dynasty.

Started Davis first two weeks, benched him for Finley yesterday. Only solace is that I would have lost with him anyway. Total points are first tiebreaker.

:pickle:

With GB's Oline being a mess and Lee being the better blocker, I'm not sure how Finley is going to get a chance to make an impact this year. Looking ahead to next week and how VD abused the Vikings I would like to think that he has a real chance to do something but no way do I insert him onto a starting line-up.
I was looking at that, and looks like the top receivers on teams vs MIN D have been the TE position.CLE - Royal: 4 rec, 60 yds, TDDET - Pettigrew?: 4 rec, 40ydsSF - Davis: 7 rec, 96 yds, 2 TD

What do Packers homers think about him this weekend. As just posted above me Minn has let up the 3rd most points to TE's this year. I have Finley and owuld have to play him this week, because of Tony G's bye week. I was thinking about dropping him for a TE from Buffalo but not even sure which one would be the play this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread