What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

Has the NCAA ever disciplined a program for transgressions that didn't enhance its competitiveness?
Just wait until the Foundation for those kids was a money laundering front for recruiting or something. There's a lot of stuff yet to be uncovered, IMO.
That would certainly bring the house down. But what does the NCAA do if there's no dirty recruiting or player compensation going on?
Initiate a personal conduct policy?

Hate to be late and repeat anything already said but I haven't seen much discussion of this yet...

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS

If I told you Pennsylvania authorities released Sandusky w/ out asking him to put up one thin dime in bail, would you believe me?

Sandusky's bail for 40 counts of child rape was already a laughably low $100,000. Of which he paid authorities in State College exactly zero

Understandable though, it's not like Sandusky's house is literally 1,000 feet from an elementary school .

State College, PA: Where your good standing at Penn State earns you absolutely free release from 40 criminal counts of child rape.
How did he get out?

Hate to be late and repeat anything already said but I haven't seen much discussion of this yet...

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS If I told you Pennsylvania authorities released Sandusky w/ out asking him to put up one thin dime in bail, would you believe me?SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS Sandusky's bail for 40 counts of child rape was already a laughably low $100,000. Of which he paid authorities in State College exactly zeroSPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS Understandable though, it's not like Sandusky's house is literally 1,000 feet from an elementary school .SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS State College, PA: Where your good standing at Penn State earns you absolutely free release from 40 criminal counts of child rape.
Wow. How is this possible?

Unless Joe was actively involved with the cover up, whats to say Curley didnt tell him that after an investigation was done, no wrong doing was discovered to have occurred? Thats the lie he told Second Mile. He could have told that same lie to others. Why the lies and perjury by Curley is the major question right now in my opinion.
I can see Curley doing that in 1998, but not in 2002. If Curley told Paterno that no wrongdoing was discovered in 2002, then it would mean that Mike McQueary is not only a liar, but he lied right to Paterno's face and sparked an investigation that could have brought down the whole administration.But if Mike McQueary is a liar, why would Joe Paterno hire him, promote him, and keep him on staff for the next 9 years?
Well Curley did tell second mile that about the 2002 incident.

Has the NCAA ever disciplined a program for transgressions that didn't enhance its competitiveness?
not yet.....I have to think that the NCAA sticks its nose in this before its all said and done
On what grounds and to what purpose?
I gotta think this is one instance the NCAA stays as far away from as they possibly can. They probably don't even want to remind anyone that PSU is under the NCAA umbrella.

If I told you Pennsylvania authorities released Sandusky w/ out asking him to put up one thin dime in bail, would you believe me?

Sandusky's bail for 40 counts of child rape was already a laughably low $100,000. Of which he paid authorities in State College exactly zero

Understandable though, it's not like Sandusky's house is literally 1,000 feet from an elementary school .

State College, PA: Where your good standing at Penn State earns you absolutely free release from 40 criminal counts of child rape.
How did he get out?
He probably put up the deed to his house.

'Chase Stuart said:
Tyoka: McQueary went to coach. The buck stops with coach. Everything goes through him. Once it goes to him, that's the end of it. So I don't blame McQueary. I don't know how he sleeps at night. I don't know how he sees Sandusky every day for years. I have a feeling he's in his own personal hell. But I don't blame him as much as Paterno. At Penn State, everything goes through coach, and once you tell him, you're done.
How does the buck stop at coach Paterno? SANDUSKY WAS NO LONGER ON THE COACHING STAFF. He was NO LONGER PART OF THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM.
no. he had an office there. he used the facilities to rape young boys. he brought his victims with him as part of the traveling party with the team. he brought the victims to practices. He was most definitely part of the program even if he wasn't collecting checks from them.
So when a staff member goes off the deep end we should consider him part of the FBG program and hold the rest of the staff accountable?
If he uses the FBG site to perpetrate violent crimes and they're aware and cover it up, then yes.
Absolutely...but how is it "covering it up" to report it to your boss? And if an on campus investigation happens and declares no problem, how is it then still on Paterno? HE DIDN'T SEE IT. HE'S NOT THE WITNESS.
So a guy who you knew had been previously been investgated for showering with young boys and is now witnessed in the act by a reliable witness. You tell you AD. That same guy continues to show up at practices, games and raod trips in the company of young boys - buying them expensive gifts etc and your response is to do nothing? really?

How did he get out?
That's not "exactly zero."

So why isn't McQueary fired again?

Anyone think that the U is afraid if he's fired, then all bets are off and he blabs everything, and possibly more than we know. Therefore throwing a lot more people into the fire? Are they still protecting themselves??
He's the star witness against the PSU officials. Firing him would look like retaliation

JoePa deserves better than he's gotten to this point.
You make me sick.
WHy? Because I'm more pissed at McQueary, Sandusky, and the AD than at Paterno? REALLY? Did you read the other link, the ONE link given in here that's not written by someone advocating butchering Paterno, but still says he should have been fired?I agree Paterno had to be fired, but think the bulk of the anger directed at him is misplaced.ETA: If it comes out that Paterno ACTIVELY PARTICIPATED in a cover up...then he should be charged as an accomplice...but there's not one shread of evidance supporting that assumption that I've seen. PAterno has done so much good for so long that real evidance is rquired, not suppositions and assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

How did he get out?
It's also not "paid".

You make me sick.
WHy? Because I'm more pissed at McQueary, Sandusky, and the AD than at Paterno? REALLY? Did you read the other link, the ONE link given in here that's not written by someone advocating butchering Paterno, but still says he should have been fired?I agree Paterno had to be fired, but think the bulk of the anger directed at him is misplaced.
Reread what I quoted. You can still be pissed at the other guys. To say JoePa deserves better than he's gotten to this point shows a complete lack of understanding of the atrocities he allowed to take place. Your head is so buried in the sand on this that you have absolutely no clue and are likely going to look back at this and be embarrassed.Please go and tell the victims or their families that this happened to over the last decade that "JoePa deserves better than he's gotten to this point".I'd argue easily that he deserves far worse and will unlikely get worse. Again, the reason JoePa is getting so much "hate" by the media and others is because he's the only scumbag out of the group you listed that is getting any support. It's disgusting and so are some of your posts.

This is taken directly from the Grand Jury report. I found this interesting/peculiar. Pay attention to the parts I bolded...

The graduate assistant and his father decided that the GA had to promptly report what he had seen to coach Paterno. The next morning, a Saturday, the GA telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno’s home, where he reported what he had seen. Paterno testified to receiving the GA report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the GA was very upset. Paterno called Curley to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the GA had seen Sandusky in the Lasch building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy. Approximately one and a half weeks later, the GA was called to a meeting with Penn State AD Curley and VP Schultz. The GA reported to Curley and Schultz that he had witnessed what he believed to be Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the Lasch building showers. Paterno was not present for this meeting.
So they put into detail what McQueary told Curley and Schultz, while they only say McQueary "reported what he had seen" to Paterno. And Paterno reports to Curley about fondling or doing something of a sexual nature.

Subsequently, Curley and Schultz are charged with perjury because of this, while Paterno isn't. Is this even a case of the attorney general or grand jury protecting Paterno by giving him an out with saying McQueary "reported what he had seen" without detail?? Why didn't they go into detail about what McQueary told Paterno, but yet they detail the convo between McQueary, Curly and Schultz?

Is this possible or am I :tinfoilhat:

'Kenny Powers said:
'johnnycakes said:
'Brock Middlebrook said:
The name of the book is Touched.....Touched!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Available in signed, leatherbound edition on Ebay... just in time for Christmas.
Jesus :lmao: Im actually interested to see how much it will sell for. At $51 with 6 days left. Guaranteed soem weirdo out there will have a winning bid in the $150+ range
Its $212.50 already now!!!I think Im going to start bidding just to bump the price and have whatever sick person that wants this book pay even more for it :lol:

You make me sick.
WHy? Because I'm more pissed at McQueary, Sandusky, and the AD than at Paterno? REALLY? Did you read the other link, the ONE link given in here that's not written by someone advocating butchering Paterno, but still says he should have been fired?I agree Paterno had to be fired, but think the bulk of the anger directed at him is misplaced.

ETA: If it comes out that Paterno ACTIVELY PARTICIPATED in a cover up...then he should be charged as an accomplice...but there's not one shread of evidance supporting that assumption that I've seen. PAterno has done so much good for so long that real evidance is rquired, not suppositions and assumptions.
I guess his own words aren't enough for you. Odd that you wouldn't accept them considering how high in esteem you hold him.

This is taken directly from the Grand Jury report. I found this interesting/peculiar. Pay attention to the parts I bolded...

The graduate assistant and his father decided that the GA had to promptly report what he had seen to coach Paterno. The next morning, a Saturday, the GA telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno’s home, where he reported what he had seen. Paterno testified to receiving the GA report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the GA was very upset. Paterno called Curley to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the GA had seen Sandusky in the Lasch building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy. Approximately one and a half weeks later, the GA was called to a meeting with Penn State AD Curley and VP Schultz. The GA reported to Curley and Schultz that he had witnessed what he believed to be Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the Lasch building showers. Paterno was not present for this meeting.
So they put into detail what McQueary told Curley and Schultz, while they only say McQueary "reported what he had seen" to Paterno. And Paterno reports to Curley about fondling or doing something of a sexual nature. Subsequently, Curley and Schultz are charged with perjury because of this, while Paterno isn't. Is this even a case of the attorney general or grand jury protecting Paterno by giving him an out with saying McQueary "reported what he had seen" without detail?? Why didn't they go into detail about what McQueary told Paterno, but yet they detail the convo between McQueary, Curly and Schultz?

You're not crazy. This has been brought up many times before in this thread. The problem is, we don't know what the grand jury meant by "reported what he had seen". It could just mean that Paterno's testimony matched McQueary's testimony, so there was no need to repeat it.My personal opinion: the grand jury wasn't interested in going after Paterno, so they let him off easy.

Unless Joe was actively involved with the cover up, whats to say Curley didnt tell him that after an investigation was done, no wrong doing was discovered to have occurred? Thats the lie he told Second Mile. He could have told that same lie to others. Why the lies and perjury by Curley is the major question right now in my opinion.
I can see Curley doing that in 1998, but not in 2002. If Curley told Paterno that no wrongdoing was discovered in 2002, then it would mean that Mike McQueary is not only a liar, but he lied right to Paterno's face and sparked an investigation that could have brought down the whole administration.But if Mike McQueary is a liar, why would Joe Paterno hire him, promote him, and keep him on staff for the next 9 years?
Lot of space between "McQueary gave you all the exact info" and "McQueary lied". Look, let's face it. No one wants to hear that their good friend is a pedophile. So it wouldn't be that difficult to find something in between that gets Paterno to drop it. Maybe something like Mike was confused, Jerry was just rubbing the kids back. He did that before (if Paterno knew about 98, or maybe they skip that). He just likes to get close to the kids but it's inappropriate and we're not going to let him do that anymore. Presto. Sandusky isn't a pedo and McQueary isn't a liar.
Just one problem: Paterno has testified that McQueary said Sandusky was "doing something of a sexual nature" with a young boy.That rules out "just rubbing the kids back" and I'm pretty sure it rules out "Mike was confused", also.
Yes but no. I mean, yes he has testified he was told it was of a sexual nature. But that doesn't mean Curley didn't come to him later and say that Mike was confused. Again, we don't have the court transcripts. It wasn't a trial yet in which any decent lawyer would follow up on those questions. I don't think the grand jury was that concerned with whether there was a conspiracy, just that there was enough evidence to go forward (and that they think Curley and Schultz lied on the stand). Anyway, should be a nerve wracking time as PSU fans wait for the whole truth to come out.

How did he get out?
It's also not "paid".
Since when? If what you say is true, he paid his bail by transferring his deed.

The graduate assistant and his father decided that the GA had to promptly report what he had seen to coach Paterno. The next morning, a Saturday, the GA telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno's home, where he reported what he had seen. Paterno testified to receiving the GA report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the GA was very upset. Paterno called Curley to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the GA had seen Sandusky in the Lasch building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy. Approximately one and a half weeks later, the GA was called to a meeting with Penn State AD Curley and VP Schultz. The GA reported to Curley and Schultz that he had witnessed what he believed to be Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the Lasch building showers. Paterno was not present for this meeting.
So they put into detail what McQueary told Curley and Schultz, while they only say McQueary "reported what he had seen" to Paterno. And Paterno reports to Curley about fondling or doing something of a sexual nature. Subsequently, Curley and Schultz are charged with perjury because of this, while Paterno isn't. Is this even a case of the attorney general or grand jury protecting Paterno by giving him an out with saying McQueary "reported what he had seen" without detail?? Why didn't they go into detail about what McQueary told Paterno, but yet they detail the convo between McQueary, Curly and Schultz?

You're not crazy. This has been brought up many times before in this thread. The problem is, we don't know what the grand jury meant by "reported what he had seen". It could just mean that Paterno's testimony matched McQueary's testimony, so there was no need to repeat it.My personal opinion: the grand jury wasn't interested in going after Paterno, so they let him off easy.
See I'm thinking Paterno's and McQueary's testimonies didn't match, which is why they didn't detail what McQueary told Paterno. And I'm with ya, I don't think they were interested in Paterno either, but perjury is perjury, no matter who you are.

In 14 pages I'm going to be furious about the fact that Sandusky is out on bail for raping children, while his house is less than 1000 feet from an elementary school.

How did he get out?
It's also not "paid".
Sorry, when I said "put up", I did not mean "transferred". I meant that he probably put it up as collateral, which is an acceptable form of bail in many states. That would mesh with Brooks' description of Sandusky posting bail without having "paid" any money.

The graduate assistant and his father decided that the GA had to promptly report what he had seen to coach Paterno. The next morning, a Saturday, the GA telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno's home, where he reported what he had seen. Paterno testified to receiving the GA report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the GA was very upset. Paterno called Curley to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the GA had seen Sandusky in the Lasch building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy. Approximately one and a half weeks later, the GA was called to a meeting with Penn State AD Curley and VP Schultz. The GA reported to Curley and Schultz that he had witnessed what he believed to be Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the Lasch building showers. Paterno was not present for this meeting.

See I'm thinking Paterno's and McQueary's testimonies didn't match, which is why they didn't detail what McQueary told Paterno. And I'm with ya, I don't think they were interested in Paterno either, but perjury is perjury, no matter who you are.
The language used made it look like they were falling all over theirselves to make Paterno look better."Paterno called Curley to his home the very next day". Any where else in the report it would just say the next day.

"Paterno was not present for this meeting." They never said anything about anyone else not being present at any meeting.

I know someone mentioned this early in the thread but when I read the 23 pages tonight these struck me as odd.

How did he get out?
It's also not "paid".
It was 100K unsecured bail...No payment necessary unless he fails to show for court

The language used made it look like they were falling all over theirselves to make Paterno look better.

"Paterno called Curley to his home the very next day". Any where else in the report it would just say the next day.

"Paterno was not present for this meeting." They never said anything about anyone else not being present at any meeting.

I know someone mentioned this early in the thread but when I read the 23 pages tonight these struck me as odd.
Agreed, I thought the same thing about your quotes as well. I guess they were taking mercy on an 84 year old legend? Pretty pathetic, IMO.

The language used made it look like they were falling all over theirselves to make Paterno look better.

"Paterno called Curley to his home the very next day". Any where else in the report it would just say the next day.

Agreed, I thought the same thing about your quotes as well. I guess they were taking mercy on an 84 year old legend? Pretty pathetic, IMO.
So if was the next day they should have said years later?

"Cars.com withdraws

In the wake of Penn State's sex abuse scandal, Cars.com has withdrawn its "Presenting Sponsorship" of Saturday Afternoon College Football on ESPN for the next two weeks. Those afternoon games include Penn State vs. Nebraska at noon this Saturday and Penn State at Ohio State next Saturday."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7215664/penn-state-nittany-lions-mike-mcqueary-not-attend-game-weekend

I find this interesting - how many other companies/organizations/etc. will not want anything to do with Penn State?

ETA - also link with info about McQueary not attending game.

Yeah, that's obviously what he's saying.

No, they just said "the next day" everywhere else in the report. Just like you just said it in your own post. It seems like they are trying to imply he was being overly dilligent by saying "the very next day". And why say Paterno wasn't at a meeting, when they had just said who was at the meeting the previous sentence.

No, they just said "the next day" everywhere else in the report. Just like you just said it in your own post. It seems like they are trying to imply he was being overly dilligent by saying "the very next day". And why say Paterno wasn't at a meeting, when they had just said who was at the meeting the previous sentence.
Hard to put together a twenty three page report without specific details.

Penn State child sex-abuse scandal: When we had the facts, we ran the story

Published: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 11:54 AM

Updated: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 4:50 PM

By DAVID NEWHOUSE, The Patriot-News

On Friday, The Patriot-News was the first news organization to report that former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky had been charged with child sex abuse. Since then, the national media have descended on Happy Valley and our own coverage has drawn 6 million page views on PennLive.com.

While many readers have expressed their appreciation for our coverage, some have asked: Forget Joe Paterno or Graham Spanier. Why didn’t The Patriot-News investigate these allegations sooner?

That’s an important question. Here is the answer:

The Patriot-News broke the story that Jerry Sandusky was being investigated for child sex abuse back in March. We told the stories of two victims in detail.

We wrote additional stories in April and August, including one that reported the grand jury had heard testimony from multiple victims.

Any of the national news media who were shocked by Sandusky’s indictment last week evidently don’t read our newspaper or look at our website. They should have.

But could we have reported the story sooner than March?

Until 1998, none of the young victims came forward to tell their story — not to the police or to anyone. It is a terrible cruelty that the trauma of sex abuse often drives victims into silence when sharing their story could help them and others.

In 1998, a boy who was 12 at the time told police that Sandusky had showered with him in the Penn State football locker room during a tour. The boy claimed Sandusky assaulted him during the shower.

During our own investigation, years later, the mother told us that she had been specifically instructed by state police not to speak with reporters.

No charges were filed against Sandusky in 1998. With the mother cowed into silence, the incident remained buried.

No further victims or witnesses spoke up until the 2002 incident that involved Mike McQueary, Paterno and other top university officials.

It appears from the grand jury presentment that the school’s aim was to handle this report very quietly. They succeeded. No one who had been directly involved talked about it at the time. No one.

Sandusky flaunted the so-called “ban” on his bringing kids to campus — in fact, he held Second Mile camps on other Penn State campuses as recently as 2008. We never noticed any sanctions against the former coach because they didn’t really exist.

In the years that followed, still more victims maintained their silence.

That changed in 2009, when a Clinton County boy and a wrestling coach who had witnessed an incident came forward with new allegations. This time, word leaked out in the form of rumors that caught the attention of two reporters: Jan Murphy of The Patriot-News and Sara Ganim, then a reporter with the Centre Daily Times in State College.

Now here’s what a news organization like ours thinks about rumors:

In one sense, they’re worthless. We don’t report a rumor that someone has broken the law.

Would you like it if your neighbor called to tell us that you had been involved in sex abuse and we printed it? We demand at least two or even three independent and highly credible sources to print any anonymous allegation of criminal behavior.

Murphy tracked down sources who confirmed that the rumors were serious but found no one with firsthand, verifiable knowledge of the case.

Sara Ganim had more luck. After a great deal of work, Ganim eventually located and spoke with the victim’s mother. But we needed much more if we were to accuse a Penn State coaching legend of an abhorrent crime.

After Ganim came to The Patriot-News, she continued her reporting in Centre, Mifflin, Clinton and Dauphin counties. She interviewed more than 26 people, often three or four times.

We confirmed their statements in other ways, as well. Sara tracked down a second victim, witnesses and other sources who could talk not only about the Clinton County victim but about what had happened back in 1998.

With enough evidence that we were confident of its accuracy, we published the story on March 31.

The national media ignored it. Locally, we mainly received anger from some readers.

“It truly is troubling to me to see a ‘reputable’ newspaper such as The Patriot-News carrying this type of sensationalist story,” wrote one.

“Shame on those who have tried to defile the legacy that Jerry Sandusky has worked so hard to build,” wrote another.

We stood by the story and more stories followed. We have been told by those with knowledge of the grand jury investigation that our stories prompted additional victims to come forward.

Many of my colleagues here at The Patriot-News are Penn State alumni. Many more of us are Lions fans or have simply admired Joe Paterno. This has been an unbelievably sad week for us along with hundreds of thousands of Penn Staters and millions of Americans who feel the same way.

If we had any inkling of this alleged conduct before 2009 — from any victims, witnesses or those who knew them — we would have investigated it with all the vigor we possess. And we would have been no less careful to deal not in rumors or speculation, but in facts.

I am a Penn State alumnus. I live in State College, PA and am employed by the university. In fact, my office window looks down on Old Main, the campus administration building. I am also a season ticket holder.

With that out of the way, I wanted to share the following. I'm not familiar with the author's work prior to this, but I think this article speaks to many of the sentiments that I've been hearing from people I know and interact with in this community all week. For better or worse (as the FFA will surely determine it), it echos my feelings as well.

The End of Paterno

by Joe Posnanski

Let me start with this: I am writing a book about Joe Paterno. I am getting paid a sizable amount of money to do so, some of which I plan to donate to the charity of Joe’s choice, some of which I plan to keep. I have been working on this book, on and off, speed bumps and traffic jams, for a couple of years now. I moved away from my family, to State College, for the football season. I had many hard feelings about that. But I believed — as my wife believed — that it was the right thing to do. I came here to write about one of the giants of sports. And my wife and I both felt that the only way to tell the story, for better and worse, was to be around it every day.

The last week has torn me up emotionally. This doesn’t matter, of course. All that matters are the victims of the horrible crimes allegedly committed by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. I cannot say that enough times. Sometimes, I feel like the last week or so there has been a desperate race among commentators and others to prove that they are MORE against child molesting than anyone else. That makes me sick. We’re all sickened. We’re all heartbroken. We’re all beyond angry, in a place of rage where nothing seems real. The other day, I called it “howling.” I meant that in the purest sense of the word — crying in pain.

So, two points to get out of the way:

1. I think Joe Paterno had the responsibility as a leader and a man to stop the horrific rapes allegedly committed by Jerry Sandusky, and I believe he will have regrets about this for the rest of his life.

2. Because of this, Joe Paterno could no longer coach at Penn State University.

Beyond these two points, though, I said I wasn’t going to write about this because I feel like there’s still a lot of darkness around. I don’t know what Joe Paterno knew. I don’t know how he handled it. I don’t know if he followed up. I don’t know anything about Paterno’s role in this except for what little was said about that in the horrifying and stomach-turning grand jury findings. People have jumped to many conclusions about Paterno’s role and his negligence, and they might be right. I’ll say it again: They might be right. But they might be wrong, too. And I’m writing a book about the man. I can’t live in that world of maybes.

It hasn’t been easy to stay silent — nor is it my personality. As anyone who knows me will tell you, I will write 5,000 words about an infomercial I don’t like. But I thought it was important that I stay out of the middle of this, observe the scene, and I still think that’s important.

But — well, I’ve already said that my emotions don’t matter here, that they are nothing like what the victims went through, but for the purposes of this essay I’ll tell you them anyway: I’ve been wrecked the last week. Writing a book comes from the soul. It consumes you — mentally, emotionally, spiritually, all of it. I have thought about Joe Paterno, his strengths, his flaws, his triumphs, his failures, his core, pretty much nonstop for months now. I have talked to hundreds of people about him in all walks of life. I have read 25 or 30 books about him, countless articles. I’m not saying I know Joe Paterno. I’m saying I know a whole lot about him.

And what I know is complicated. But, beyond complications — and I really believe this with all my heart — there’s this, and this is exclusively my opinion: Joe Paterno has lived a profoundly decent life.

Nobody has really wanted to say this lately, and I grasp that. The last week has obviously shed a new light on him and his program — a horrible new light — and if you have any questions about how I feel about all that, please scroll back up to my two points at the top.

But I have seen some things in the last few days that have felt rotten, utterly wrong — a piling on that goes even beyond excessive, a dancing on the grave that makes me ill. Joe Paterno has lived a whole life. He has improved the lives of countless people. I know — I’ve talked to hundreds of them. Almost every day I walk by the library that he and his wife, Sue, built. I walk by the religious center that tries to bring people together, and his name is on the list of major donors. I hear the stories, the countless stories, of the kindnesses that came naturally to him, of the way he stuck with people in their worst moments, of the belief he had that everybody could do a little bit better — as a football player, as a student, as a human being. I’m not going to tell you these stories now, because you can’t hear them. Nobody can hear them in the howling.

But I will say that I am sickened, absolutely sickened, that some of those people whose lives were fundamentally inspired and galvanized by Joe Paterno have not stepped forward to stand up for him this week, have stood back and allowed him to be painted as an inhuman monster who was only interested in his legacy, even at the cost of the most heinous crimes against children imaginable.

Shame on them.

And why? I’ll tell you my opinion: Because they were afraid. And I understand that. A kind word for Joe Paterno in this storm is taken by many as a pro vote for a child molester. A quick, “Wait a minute, Joe Paterno is a good man. Let’s see what happened here” is translated as an attempt to minimize the horror of what Jerry Sandusky is charged with doing. It takes courage to stand behind someone you believe in when it’s this bad outside. It takes courage to stand up for a man in peril, even if he stood up for you.

And that’s shameful. I have not wanted to speak because it’s not my place to speak. I’m Joe Paterno’s biographer. I’m here to write about the man. I’m not here to write a fairy tale, and I’m not here to write a hit job, and I hope to be nowhere near either extreme. I’m here to write a whole story. I’ve had people ask me: “Will you include all this in the book?” Well, OF COURSE I will — this is the tragic ending of a legendary career. I’m going to wait for evidence, and if it turns out that Joe Paterno knowingly covered this up, then I will write that with all the power and fury I have in me.

I will wait, though. I will have to wait.

But then, yeah, I opened my big mouth. On Thursday morning, I went to speak at the “Paterno and the Media” class on the Penn State campus — I have spoken at the class the last two or three years. This was obviously one day after Paterno had been fired, and the campus had been turned inside out. I woke up wondering if I really should go. But I decided I had to go.

And when I was asked questions, I had to say how I felt. It spilled out of me. I suppose it caused a bit of a Twitter uproar — I say “I suppose,” because for the first time in memory I am not checking Twitter, and I think I’ll stay away for a while — but what I remember saying is:

1. Joe Paterno is responsible for what happens on his watch. Period.

2. People are making assumptions about what Joe did or didn’t know, what Joe did or didn’t do, and I can’t tell you that those assumptions are wrong. But I can tell you that they are assumptions based on one side of the story.

3. We are in a top-you world where everyone is not only trying to report something faster but is also trying to report something ANGRIER. One guy wants Joe Paterno to resign, the next wants him to be fired, the next wants him to be fired this minute, the next wants him to be fired and arrested, the next wants him to be fired, arrested and jailed, on and on, until we’ve lost sight of who actually committed the crimes here.

4. I think the University could not possibly have handled this worse. It was disgusting and disgraceful, the method in which they fired Joe Paterno after 60 years of service, and yes, I do think Paterno was a scapegoat. Of course he was. I’ve already said that he had to be let go. But to let him dangle out there, take up all the headlines, face the bulk of the media pressure, absolutely, that’s the very definition of scapegoat. Three people were indicted and arrested. A fourth, I hear, will be indicted soon. Joe Paterno is not one of the four.

5. It is still unclear what Paterno did in this case. It will remain unclear for a while. You might be one of the hundreds and hundreds of people I’ve heard from who know EXACTLY what Paterno did. He HAD to know this. He DEFINITELY knew that. He COULD have done something. I respect that. Joe Paterno’s a public figure. You have every right to believe what you want to believe and be absolutely certain about it. But since we have not heard from Joe, not heard from former athletic director Tim Curley, not heard from GA/assistant coach Mike McQueary, not heard from anyone who was in the room, I’ll repeat: It’s unclear. A determined grand jury did not charge Joe Paterno with any crime. A motivated reporting barrage, so far, anyway, has not uncovered a single thing that can tell us definitively what Joe Paterno knew.

You can say that he knew enough to stop this, and I’d say you were right. I have tried so hard to make it clear that I am not defending Joe Paterno’s actions or inactions, but I know that won’t be enough. You may be writing an email right now telling me how terrible child molestation is, how awful a person Joe Paterno is, how awful a person I am for wanting to wait and see. I understand. This case hits emotions that are unstoppable.

But I will say this: Paterno has paid a price here. His job is gone. His life’s work has been soiled. His reputation is in tatters. Maybe that should be the price. Maybe there should be more of a price. You don’t have to type: “Well, his price is nothing like the price of those victims…” I already know that.

But I think the way Joe Paterno has lived his life has earned him something more than instant fury, more than immediate assumptions of the worst, more than the happy cheers of critics who have always believed that there was something phony about the man and his ideals. He deserves what I would hope we all deserve — for the truth to come out, or, anyway, the closest thing to truth we can find.

I don’t think Joe Paterno has gotten that. And I think that’s sad.

And with that, I’m going back underground to wrestle with my book and doubts and emotions and everything that goes with that.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/11/10/the-end-of-paterno/

This whole investigation needed to hire Lisbeth Salander. She would have knocked this out in a week with national coverage not knowing what hit them. Where is Salander?

I am a Penn State alumnus. I live in State College, PA and am employed by the university. In fact, my office window looks down on Old Main, the campus administration building. I am also a season ticket holder.With that out of the way, I wanted to share the following. I'm not familiar with the author's work prior to this, but I think this article speaks to many of the sentiments that I've been hearing from people I know and interact with in this community all week. For better or worse (as the FFA will surely determine it), it echos my feelings as well.***The End of Paternoby Joe PosnanskiLet me start with this: I am writing a book about Joe Paterno. I am getting paid a sizable amount of money to do so, some of which I plan to donate to the charity of Joe’s choice, some of which I plan to keep. I have been working on this book, on and off, speed bumps and traffic jams, for a couple of years now. I moved away from my family, to State College, for the football season. I had many hard feelings about that. But I believed — as my wife believed — that it was the right thing to do. I came here to write about one of the giants of sports. And my wife and I both felt that the only way to tell the story, for better and worse, was to be around it every day.The last week has torn me up emotionally. This doesn’t matter, of course. All that matters are the victims of the horrible crimes allegedly committed by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. I cannot say that enough times. Sometimes, I feel like the last week or so there has been a desperate race among commentators and others to prove that they are MORE against child molesting than anyone else. That makes me sick. We’re all sickened. We’re all heartbroken. We’re all beyond angry, in a place of rage where nothing seems real. The other day, I called it “howling.” I meant that in the purest sense of the word — crying in pain.So, two points to get out of the way:1. I think Joe Paterno had the responsibility as a leader and a man to stop the horrific rapes allegedly committed by Jerry Sandusky, and I believe he will have regrets about this for the rest of his life.2. Because of this, Joe Paterno could no longer coach at Penn State University.Beyond these two points, though, I said I wasn’t going to write about this because I feel like there’s still a lot of darkness around. I don’t know what Joe Paterno knew. I don’t know how he handled it. I don’t know if he followed up. I don’t know anything about Paterno’s role in this except for what little was said about that in the horrifying and stomach-turning grand jury findings. People have jumped to many conclusions about Paterno’s role and his negligence, and they might be right. I’ll say it again: They might be right. But they might be wrong, too. And I’m writing a book about the man. I can’t live in that world of maybes.It hasn’t been easy to stay silent — nor is it my personality. As anyone who knows me will tell you, I will write 5,000 words about an infomercial I don’t like. But I thought it was important that I stay out of the middle of this, observe the scene, and I still think that’s important.But — well, I’ve already said that my emotions don’t matter here, that they are nothing like what the victims went through, but for the purposes of this essay I’ll tell you them anyway: I’ve been wrecked the last week. Writing a book comes from the soul. It consumes you — mentally, emotionally, spiritually, all of it. I have thought about Joe Paterno, his strengths, his flaws, his triumphs, his failures, his core, pretty much nonstop for months now. I have talked to hundreds of people about him in all walks of life. I have read 25 or 30 books about him, countless articles. I’m not saying I know Joe Paterno. I’m saying I know a whole lot about him.And what I know is complicated. But, beyond complications — and I really believe this with all my heart — there’s this, and this is exclusively my opinion: Joe Paterno has lived a profoundly decent life.Nobody has really wanted to say this lately, and I grasp that. The last week has obviously shed a new light on him and his program — a horrible new light — and if you have any questions about how I feel about all that, please scroll back up to my two points at the top.But I have seen some things in the last few days that have felt rotten, utterly wrong — a piling on that goes even beyond excessive, a dancing on the grave that makes me ill. Joe Paterno has lived a whole life. He has improved the lives of countless people. I know — I’ve talked to hundreds of them. Almost every day I walk by the library that he and his wife, Sue, built. I walk by the religious center that tries to bring people together, and his name is on the list of major donors. I hear the stories, the countless stories, of the kindnesses that came naturally to him, of the way he stuck with people in their worst moments, of the belief he had that everybody could do a little bit better — as a football player, as a student, as a human being. I’m not going to tell you these stories now, because you can’t hear them. Nobody can hear them in the howling.But I will say that I am sickened, absolutely sickened, that some of those people whose lives were fundamentally inspired and galvanized by Joe Paterno have not stepped forward to stand up for him this week, have stood back and allowed him to be painted as an inhuman monster who was only interested in his legacy, even at the cost of the most heinous crimes against children imaginable.Shame on them.And why? I’ll tell you my opinion: Because they were afraid. And I understand that. A kind word for Joe Paterno in this storm is taken by many as a pro vote for a child molester. A quick, “Wait a minute, Joe Paterno is a good man. Let’s see what happened here” is translated as an attempt to minimize the horror of what Jerry Sandusky is charged with doing. It takes courage to stand behind someone you believe in when it’s this bad outside. It takes courage to stand up for a man in peril, even if he stood up for you.And that’s shameful. I have not wanted to speak because it’s not my place to speak. I’m Joe Paterno’s biographer. I’m here to write about the man. I’m not here to write a fairy tale, and I’m not here to write a hit job, and I hope to be nowhere near either extreme. I’m here to write a whole story. I’ve had people ask me: “Will you include all this in the book?” Well, OF COURSE I will — this is the tragic ending of a legendary career. I’m going to wait for evidence, and if it turns out that Joe Paterno knowingly covered this up, then I will write that with all the power and fury I have in me.I will wait, though. I will have to wait.But then, yeah, I opened my big mouth. On Thursday morning, I went to speak at the “Paterno and the Media” class on the Penn State campus — I have spoken at the class the last two or three years. This was obviously one day after Paterno had been fired, and the campus had been turned inside out. I woke up wondering if I really should go. But I decided I had to go.And when I was asked questions, I had to say how I felt. It spilled out of me. I suppose it caused a bit of a Twitter uproar — I say “I suppose,” because for the first time in memory I am not checking Twitter, and I think I’ll stay away for a while — but what I remember saying is:1. Joe Paterno is responsible for what happens on his watch. Period.2. People are making assumptions about what Joe did or didn’t know, what Joe did or didn’t do, and I can’t tell you that those assumptions are wrong. But I can tell you that they are assumptions based on one side of the story.3. We are in a top-you world where everyone is not only trying to report something faster but is also trying to report something ANGRIER. One guy wants Joe Paterno to resign, the next wants him to be fired, the next wants him to be fired this minute, the next wants him to be fired and arrested, the next wants him to be fired, arrested and jailed, on and on, until we’ve lost sight of who actually committed the crimes here.4. I think the University could not possibly have handled this worse. It was disgusting and disgraceful, the method in which they fired Joe Paterno after 60 years of service, and yes, I do think Paterno was a scapegoat. Of course he was. I’ve already said that he had to be let go. But to let him dangle out there, take up all the headlines, face the bulk of the media pressure, absolutely, that’s the very definition of scapegoat. Three people were indicted and arrested. A fourth, I hear, will be indicted soon. Joe Paterno is not one of the four.5. It is still unclear what Paterno did in this case. It will remain unclear for a while. You might be one of the hundreds and hundreds of people I’ve heard from who know EXACTLY what Paterno did. He HAD to know this. He DEFINITELY knew that. He COULD have done something. I respect that. Joe Paterno’s a public figure. You have every right to believe what you want to believe and be absolutely certain about it. But since we have not heard from Joe, not heard from former athletic director Tim Curley, not heard from GA/assistant coach Mike McQueary, not heard from anyone who was in the room, I’ll repeat: It’s unclear. A determined grand jury did not charge Joe Paterno with any crime. A motivated reporting barrage, so far, anyway, has not uncovered a single thing that can tell us definitively what Joe Paterno knew.You can say that he knew enough to stop this, and I’d say you were right. I have tried so hard to make it clear that I am not defending Joe Paterno’s actions or inactions, but I know that won’t be enough. You may be writing an email right now telling me how terrible child molestation is, how awful a person Joe Paterno is, how awful a person I am for wanting to wait and see. I understand. This case hits emotions that are unstoppable.But I will say this: Paterno has paid a price here. His job is gone. His life’s work has been soiled. His reputation is in tatters. Maybe that should be the price. Maybe there should be more of a price. You don’t have to type: “Well, his price is nothing like the price of those victims…” I already know that.But I think the way Joe Paterno has lived his life has earned him something more than instant fury, more than immediate assumptions of the worst, more than the happy cheers of critics who have always believed that there was something phony about the man and his ideals. He deserves what I would hope we all deserve — for the truth to come out, or, anyway, the closest thing to truth we can find.I don’t think Joe Paterno has gotten that. And I think that’s sad.And with that, I’m going back underground to wrestle with my book and doubts and emotions and everything that goes with that.http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/11/10/the-end-of-paterno/
Thats sweet that a guy getting paid to write a fluff bio on Paterno thinks he lived a super decent and awesome life, even though at least a decade of it was spent enabling child rape and protecting a child rapist so that he could continue to rape children and bring them to PSU events, practices, games and banquest, right in Paterno's face, and then go rape them some more. Which Paterno admitted under oath he knew was happening but did nothing to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread