What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Brown Hype Train- Not as bad of reach as I thought (1 Viewer)

What do you think about his underwhelming results thus far? With Larry Fitzgerald looking like he as been showering in the fountain of youth, is Brown going to start producing any time soon?

Is he a trade candidate or are you going to wait and hope?

What do you think about his underwhelming results thus far? With Larry Fitzgerald looking like he as been showering in the fountain of youth, is Brown going to start producing any time soon?

Is he a trade candidate or are you going to wait and hope?
Why would you trade when he HASN'T had a big week. Wait for a big game and trade high if you have no faith in him.

I think it's coming. He's been agonizingly close but just hasn't happened yet. It definitely doesn't help that Fitz is looking like his old self.

I have him as my 4th and definitely waiting on him. He looks great and Fitz is running at an unsustainable rate. He's the #2 passing option in an explosive passing offense and he's a big play receiver that has been close on a number of occassions.

Wide Receiver

NAME G TARG REC YD Y/R TD FPT

Larry Fitzgerald 3 28 23 333 14.5 5 63.3

John Brown 3 17 12 153 12.8 1 21.3

Jaron Brown 3 4 3 28 9.3 1 8.8

Michael Floyd 3 7 2 30 15.0 0 3.0

Brittan Golden 1 0 0 0 0 0.0

J.J. Nelson 2 4 0 0 0 0.0

At the end of the day it may not work out for him but I'm happy to take my bets on up and coming talented players that are highly thought of, main targets in their offense and on high powered offenses. No one predicted Fitz's resurgence and he's a HOF receiver but he's not going to keep up this pace and if he gets dinged up Brown could be huge. He's definitely a hold/buy low to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
His targets each game are 7, 5, 5

Hard to be more than a WR3/4 with so little action, especially since we don't get points for pass interference penalties he draws.

His targets each game are 7, 5, 5

Hard to be more than a WR3/4 with so little action, especially since we don't get points for pass interference penalties he draws.
The Cardinals have been an odd team this year....everything is just breaking perfectly for them and despite Palmer playing until the end of several blowout games and having scored the most points in the NFL they are tied for 28th in passing attempts with 18.6/game. Whereas the Pats are #2 in scoring and they have the 2nd most pass attempts. It's only a 3 game sample and they played what may end up being the worst 3 teams in the NFL in NO, Chi and SF...things will normalize over the course of the season and they will have to throw the ball more, probably starting this weekend vs. St. Louis.

5-6 targets average over 3 games, with Floyd not back to full health, is hardly what I was hoping for. I wonder if JB isn't one of those player that are more valuable in real-life than in FF.

He certainly looks like the real deal when running routes, tracking the ball or shifting through traffic. Yet I can't shake the feeling he is too small and brittle. Antonio Brown supposedly has similar measurables, but you definitely don't think "This guy looks small" or "This guys is one big pop away from a serious injury"

EDIT: But I do get that same feeling with Sanders...and he seems to be holding up quite fine, so what do I know.

5-6 targets average over 3 games, with Floyd not back to full health, is hardly what I was hoping for. I wonder if JB isn't one of those player that are more valuable in real-life than in FF.

He certainly looks like the real deal when running routes, tracking the ball or shifting through traffic. Yet I can't shake the feeling he is too small and brittle. Antonio Brown supposedly has similar measurables, but you definitely don't think "This guy looks small" or "This guys is one big pop away from a serious injury"
again...I don't think you should view this situation in a vacuum...they've had an absurdly low number of pass attempts through 3 games. If you extrapolate the 18.6 pass attempts across the year you'll end up with 298 attempts which is more than 150 fewer attempts than the last place Seahawks had last year and 276 fewer pass attempts than the Cards had last year. I think the best way to view this situation is to look at the % of targets he's getting and so far it equates to 30% of the attempts and if you assume they end up near the same number of attempts this year as they had last year (568 which was in the middle of the pack at 14th) and if Brown can maintain that 30% target rate your talking about 170 targets which is 2 more than Antonio Brown had last year and he led the NFL last year.

The main point being Brown is the clear #2 in the offense but just that the offense is throwing the ball at ridiculously unsustainably low clip. Once they start to throw more, which they will, he will catch more because he's a main target in the offense.

again...I don't think you should view this situation in a vacuum...they've had an absurdly low number of pass attempts through 3 games. If you extrapolate the 18.6 pass attempts across the year you'll end up with 298 attempts which is more than 150 fewer attempts than the last place Seahawks had last year and 276 fewer pass attempts than the Cards had last year. I think the best way to view this situation is to look at the % of targets he's getting and so far it equates to 30% of the attempts and if you assume they end up near the same number of attempts this year as they had last year (568 which was in the middle of the pack at 14th) and if Brown can maintain that 30% target rate your talking about 170 targets which is 2 more than Antonio Brown had last year and he led the NFL last year.

The main point being Brown is the clear #2 in the offense but just that the offense is throwing the ball at ridiculously unsustainably low clip. Once they start to throw more, which they will, he will catch more because he's a main target in the offense.
This makes a lot of sense. I have Brown on my bench but I am definitely holding. He is in a real good spot.

Is anyone getting any decent trade offers for him in re-drafts?

Right now all I am getting are garbage offers for him right now (basically improved waiver wire priority offers)

Right now all I am getting are garbage offers for him right now (basically improved waiver wire priority offers)
He hasn't lived up to the hype. Not sure what you should be expecting.

I have not received a single offer for him in dynasty. In redraft 'm hoping to scoop him up for a league minimum bid in the auction tomorrow night. If not, no biggie.

He's a 2nd year guy with upside but no real track record so his value is all based on what could be so he won't have trade value until he does something valuable.

True but I expected more than “hey you are 9th in the waiver wire order this week I am 4th. Give me John Brown and we can swap places”

Those are the only type of offers I have gotten for the guy since my league drafted in Mid-August

True but I expected more than “hey you are 9th in the waiver wire order this week I am 4th. Give me John Brown and we can swap places”
Is that even possible?

Yeah, you have to be careful projecting what might have been. James Jones could easily have another touchdown too if his butt hadn't barely touched the ground on a play. Point being a lot of players are "this close" to putting up bigger stats. So I only go off the stats he does have.
Couldn't disagree more with this.

Big difference between Jones being out of bounds on a possible TD and Brown drawing multiple deep DPI penalties and just missing on deep targets and TDs. It's just a bad comparison.

There is no breakout coming for Jones, it has already happened, whether you think that was this year or his previous big year with the Packers or both. I also think it is fairly obvious that Jones is made by Rodgers and does not have any particularly impressive talent or potential without him or a similarly strong situation.

There is a breakout coming for Brown, and those who ignore useful information that didn't result in bigger stats already run the risk of missing it.

Yeah, you have to be careful projecting what might have been. James Jones could easily have another touchdown too if his butt hadn't barely touched the ground on a play. Point being a lot of players are "this close" to putting up bigger stats. So I only go off the stats he does have.

Big difference between Jones being out of bounds on a possible TD and Brown drawing multiple deep DPI penalties and just missing on deep targets and TDs. It's just a bad comparison.

There is no breakout coming for Jones, it has already happened, whether you think that was this year or his previous big year with the Packers or both. I also think it is fairly obvious that Jones is made by Rodgers and does not have any particularly impressive talent or potential without him or a similarly strong situation.

There is a breakout coming for Brown, and those who ignore useful information that didn't result in bigger stats already run the risk of missing it.
You missed my point. My point was that most players have close plays that don't go their way. It is t just john brown that left points on the field. All guys do that. James jones was just an example I used because it came to mind.

There could be a breakout or he could be Torrey Smith, by which I mean a guy that catches one of those deep ones every so often but generally isn't this reliable fantasy WR.

In 2014 2 players had 170 or more targets.

2013 2 players had 170 or more targets.

2012 4 players had 170 or more targets.

Unlikely John Brown has 170 targets over the course of the season even if the Cardinals do throw the ball more in games ahead. FWIW Palmer has 88 pass attempts which is 29.3/game. This is on pace for 469 over the course of the season. I agree that number will likely be higher as some games they will throw 35 or more times.

Brown had 102 targets as a rookie. I can buy that he might be targeted a bit more than that in 2015. That is one of the reasons why I have Brown on a lot of teams. But right now he is on pace for 91 targets. He has caught a higher percentage of his targets (70.5%) thus far this season than he did last season (47%). As no surprise it helps to have a better QB.

I would be happy with 100 targets with his improved completion percentage.

In 2014 2 players had 170 or more targets.

2013 2 players had 170 or more targets.

2012 4 players had 170 or more targets.

Unlikely John Brown has 170 targets over the course of the season even if the Cardinals do throw the ball more in games ahead. FWIW Palmer has 88 pass attempts which is 29.3/game. This is on pace for 469 over the course of the season. I agree that number will likely be higher as some games they will throw 35 or more times.

Brown had 102 targets as a rookie. I can buy that he might be targeted a bit more than that in 2015. That is one of the reasons why I have Brown on a lot of teams. But right now he is on pace for 91 targets. He has caught a higher percentage of his targets (70.5%) thus far this season than he did last season (47%). As no surprise it helps to have a better QB.

I would be happy with 100 targets with his improved completion percentage.
My point was not to suggest that he'd get 170 but rather that even though his target count is low its due to the absurdly low number of pass attempts. On a % basis he's getting a fine number of targets, they just aren't throwing the ball much which will change. Basically JB owners need to root for more competitive games not blowouts.

You missed my point. My point was that most players have close plays that don't go their way. It is t just john brown that left points on the field. All guys do that. James jones was just an example I used because it came to mind.
No, I didn't miss your point. IMO Brown is going to break out, and the evidence is in front of us. You choose to ignore it. I don't. One of us will be right. :shrug:

After 3 games, Cardinals are on pace for 949 plays, 49% pass. KIM Arians averages running 983 plays, 56% pass. Fitzgerald gets 32% of targets, John Brown 19%; pretty high for #1 and pretty low for #2. Fair to assume those numbers merge a little closer.

Arians play calls ROS: 970 plays - 53% pass - #1 28% of targets - #2 22% of targets

Said scenario gives Brown 113 targets for a full season, 7 per game. His ytd efficiency (9.0 y/t, 0.059 td/t) on such workload gives him 1017 yards, 7 tds. Pretty reasonable expectation in my opinion, or a little conservative even.

Just Win Baby said:
Sabertooth said:
Just Win Baby said:

No, I didn't miss your point. IMO Brown is going to break out, and the evidence is in front of us. You choose to ignore it. I don't. One of us will be right. :shrug:
What do you mean by breakout?

Just Win Baby said:
Sabertooth said:
Just Win Baby said:

I mean I think he will end up with at least 80/1200/8 this season. That would have ranked him in the top 15-20 range last season, depending on scoring system.

as long as he's your wr3 or less you should be fine with how his season has started.... a lot of close calls as far as big plays go

The shots Brown are getting are usually bombs, he's drawn a few long PI calls already, they will keep going to him as DBs can't keep up. Unfortunately a 40 yard PI doesn't factor into FF

I mean I think he will end up with at least 80/1200/8 this season. That would have ranked him in the top 15-20 range last season, depending on scoring system.
Well, then he is overdue for a big game. Just not sure it will be today. :confused:

I've got to choose between Brown and Moncrief in two leagues. Thinking brown now with luck out.
I am similarly faced with the choice of TY Hilton or Brown. Hilton without Luck gives me pause. I am thinking Hass is veteran enough to pepper Hilton with high percentage passes. Leaning slightly to Hilton but would not be surprised if Brown has a better day. ETA that if my choice was Moncrief v. Brown, I would go with Brown so long as Hass is filling in on short notice for Luck.

I decided after much over analysis and mulling, that I am rolling with Brown today at home against the Rams in lieu of starting Hilton at home with Hasslebeck as his QB. :football:

Who played him? Sat him for Moncrief and James Jones. But this week he gets the Lions coming off a loss where he got some targets. Best score of the season for him at 15.2. He's in for me. Over If you can't get him in your lineup vs. the Lions, you might want to get rid of him.

I played him 4 straight weeks, 4 straight weeks with no tds...

I think I am one year too early on john brown...

He had a TD Wk1. But I understand where you're coming from. You're looking for that explosion. I guess it depends on what you paid for him. Luckily, I don't have a whole lot invested, so what he's giving me is pretty good ROI.

He had a TD Wk1. But I understand where you're coming from. You're looking for that explosion. I guess it depends on what you paid for him. Luckily, I don't have a whole lot invested, so what he's giving me is pretty good ROI.
Yep, forgot about that one, it's been so long...

I played him over Moncrief yesterday non PPR, think he out scored him by 0.1 points. Again, a close one in the end zone that just went awry. I've been starting him in flex as my WR3 but he be losing out soon when Luck is back and/or RB health clears up with Foster

Users who are viewing this thread