What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones any good or no? (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
led the league second half of last year right?This year he's flopped.Same junky QB last year(Harrington) as this year, same coach, same O. Folks here were pretty high on him for 05, how do you feel about him for 06?

Here's the possibilitiesThey get a top notch head coach:He works the offense hard and Kevin Jones bursts onto the scene at the beginning of next yearThey get a good head coach:He starts the year off slowly but then picks it up considerably in the second half of the seasonThey get a crappy head coach:He continues to wallow in mediocrity until he changes teams

why does the coach matter so much for his stats in your opinion. Some sure but you seem to have him only as good as his coach

Here's the possibilities

They get a top notch head coach:

He works the offense hard and Kevin Jones bursts onto the scene at the beginning of next year

They get a good head coach:

He starts the year off slowly but then picks it up considerably in the second half of the season

They get a crappy head coach:

He continues to wallow in mediocrity until he changes teams
As stated before it depends on who the HC is going to be but at this point with the offensive line and QB play the way it is, I do not see how he will ever live up to the expectations of him being a every week player. I would only draft him as a flex of third RB (10 team league).

I think he easily falls to the third round in most fantasy drafts. Often injured, horrible offensive line, and who is chucking the ball to make the DBs honest?

why does the coach matter so much for his stats in your opinion. Some sure but you seem to have him only as good as his coach
If he has a bad head coach who doesn't get him a good offensive line he'll forever be dancing behind the line like he has been every carry.If he has a good, coached-up line he'll be able to hit the hole. The guy is a speeding tank once he starts moving, but if he has no momentum he'll get stuffed like he has all year.

If he has a bad head coach who doesn't get him a good offensive line he'll forever be dancing behind the line like he has been every carry.If he has a good, coached-up line he'll be able to hit the hole. The guy is a speeding tank once he starts moving, but if he has no momentum he'll get stuffed like he has all year.
He showed he had Pro-Bowl caliber talent in the second half of his rookie season...that talent most likely didn't vanish. If he can stay healthy next year and if the offense can give him some room to run he can be a force, but those are two big ifs.

This is a wait and see.

The parrallels (sp) with Mean Willie Green are striking. I like Jones a lot, but he's not going to do much in the current state of Detroit's foooooooball Lions.

The parrallels (sp) with Mean Willie Green are striking. I like Jones a lot, but he's not going to do much in the current state of Detroit's foooooooball Lions.
Made this comparision before the year to the fanatic. Willie and Kevin had almost the exact same rookie year #'s now true I think Kevin has a much better upside but than again I loved Willie going into his second year. I think if things ever got clicking Jones could be a very good back but nothing better than a #3 right now with potential.

I think Jones has talent. I predicted very early on that Jones was going to have a rough year after watching several of Detroits preseason games and seeing that their offensive line was horrid. I think Jones can bounce back and I think the biggest things Detroit needs to do is:1) Get their offensive line some continuity. They just need to keep playing together to improve. They've got some individual players with some talent in Backus and Woody. Dominic Riaola seems like more of a role-player than a starter. Rick Demulling looked great with the Colts and can obviously play at a high level with the proper supporting cast. But he isn't even starting. Kelly Butler is a former 7th rounder. He might not have what it takes to play at this level. D'Brickashaw Ferguson would be a great addition and would help Kevin Jones immediately.2) Consistency at quarterback. I think Kurt Warner is a free agent. He'd be a nice addition to the Lions because he's a leader. Say what you will about his ability but he's got some leadership qualities and this team sorely lacks leaders. I don't know who will be available but it's pretty obvious that Harrington and Garcia aren't taking this team anywhere.3) Improvement from the receiving corps. This groups was supposed to be one of the best in the league. They aren't even in the top three of their own division. Roy Williams is the real deal. Mike Williams looks like a tight end out there. Scotty Vines has punched his card and showed up as their most consistent player. I doubt Charles Rogers is a Lion next season. They need to bring in a guy like Rod or Jimmy Smith or somebody similar because, as Roy Williams has stated, these guys don't have a veteran leader in this area. As we all know, a good defense also helps a runner and Detroit's defense is fine. They have a pretty solid group when healthy. They hawk the ball pretty well and those big mooses up front clog up the run. The linebackers need a lot of help. Boss Bailey needs to stay on the field, having only player 27 of 47 possible games. But he looks like a player. Teddy Lehman has also struggled with injuries. Wali Rainer, Nate Wayne, and James Davis are just guys. Earl Holmes is solid if not spectacular in the middle. The d-backs are a bit lacking in stature but they play the ball pretty well.

He showed he had Pro-Bowl caliber talent in the second half of his rookie season...that talent most likely didn't vanish. If he can stay healthy next year and if the offense can give him some room to run he can be a force, but those are two big ifs.

This is a wait and see.
I posted on this several times in the offseason when everyone was gaga over him heading into this year. The 2nd half of last year he faced a ridiculously easy schedule (I think the avg defense ranking was near 25 or 26). He didn't have a good game against any of the decent/good teams he's faced and I don't think he did this year either. To me, he's a back that can feast on the bad teams and gets stuffed by the good ones which = an avg back....

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a wait and see.
I posted on this several times in the offseason when everyone was gaga over him heading into this year. The 2nd half of last year he faced a ridiculously easy schedule (I think the avg defense ranking was near 25 or 26). He didn't have a good game against any of the decent/good teams he's faced and I don't think he did this year either. To me, he's a back that can feast on the bad teams and gets stuffed by the good ones which = an avg back....
I would agree save for the fact he stunk against bad teams this year. It's a bit too early to see where he'll be drafted next year but unless the team makes significant and obvious improvements, he deserves to be drafted where Barlow was this year.

I think he'll be alright. He seemed to actually start running pretty well as the season wore on and I think he would've put up a big game or two if it hadn't been for the miserable coaching. I swear, the coaching got so bad that I honestly wondered during the Thanksgiving game if Mariucci was trying to lose.Anyhow, Jones needs to do a better job of staying healthy, but he should benefit greatly from the coaching change once he gets back to 100%. I still think he's an above average starter and a guy who's capable of having some monster seasons if things fall into place. I don't think the William Green comparison is a very good one. As I've pointed out in the past, Jones was much better during his hot streak than Willie was (a difference of over 1 YPC). That's not to mention that Jones doesn't appear to have the kind of character issues that have caused problems for Green in the past. Would I take KJ as my #1 RB next year? Not a chance, but he should represent a solid gamble wherever his ADP places him.

Remember Willie Green .

That is all i have to say.
More like Thomas Jones, a player with talent on a bad team who may need a change of scenery or two before he lands in an offensive system he can thrive in.

KJ has all the talent in the world (speed/size). injuries have always been an issue with him going back to his VaTech days. as a Lions fan and a Jones owner i hope he's a stud.

KJ has all the talent in the world (speed/size). injuries have always been an issue with him going back to his VaTech days. as a Lions fan and a Jones owner i hope he's a stud.
I disagree he has all the talent in the world. Looks to be a wuss and a mediocre one at that. Mooch drafted another Barlow.

It's all about the offensive line.I had a really, really bad feeling about the Lions trying to start the season with Kelly Butler at right tackle. That was a huge weakness. However, he wasn't the worst player on the Lions line. Early in the season I made an effort to watch the O-line for at least a few plays per game and every time I did, Rick DeMulling just got manhandled. I don't know why he was so bad after having a good rep coming from Indy, but he eventually lost his starting job.Jones certainly has the talent to be productive, but the Lions line was probably the worst in the league this past season. It needs to be overhauled. Problem is, OL is a position where Millen has made some of his worst decisions, so even if the Lions revamp the line I don't know if I could trust his judgment.

He ran better than most would have been expected.He played harder than I thought he would against a tough Pittsburgh D.I think Bryson going out early may have inspired him to play better.

Users who are viewing this thread