What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kickers in snow, ice, and wind... (1 Viewer)

gtdmb1

Footballguy
What is the thought on the Kickers in the games that will be affected by the horrible weather in the NE this weekend?? Several "every week starter" Kickers will be affected.

Avoid them completely??

:goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tempted to go Graham over Gostkowski that's for sure...

...but I have to pull the trigger on that by tonight. :goodposting:

Fortunately, the Pats play at noon, and my lineups aren't due until then, so I plan to wait until just before kickoff to decide on Gostko. If the wind and snow/sleet/rain is as bad as predicted, I'll bench him for Longwell, kicking in the dome at home. I just don't think you can take the chance on starting anybody in a blizzard if you have a reasonable alternative.

I am praying it slows the Patriots down just enough to give Gostowski some more FG opportunities.

Wishful thinking. . .

I just picked up Longwell (dome against the Bears) in case the weather is bad for Gostkowski. I see the Pats going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a questionable field goal.

IMO, the kicking game is most subject to bad weather. I benched Gostkowski and picked up K Brown and was rewarded with 8 fp which is slightly above average for a kicker. Bad footing and wind both affect the kicking game.

Bad weather also negatively affects the passing game, especially with receivers who are prone to concentration lapses and drops. Guys like Hines Ward seem to do very well in bad weather. I'm guessing (being from GB) that cold weather QBs do much better in bad weather than dome and warm weather QBs when faced with bad conditions.

As far as the running game is concerned, bad footing affects the speed backs and backs who rely on making cuts much more than the straight-ahead and power backs. Bad weather also hurts the backs who are more fumble prone and prone to drop passes out of the backfield.

That said, I'd much rather play H Ward than fast Willie this weekend, and I'd stay away from any kicker who has to kick in bad weather this weekend.

if you're talking about 25-30 MPH winds like the ones predicted for the Jets/Pats game, I'd probably avoid the kickers in that game, at all costs..

and what generally happens in other bad weather games, is that the head coaches are more apt to go for it on 4th down even if they are within FG range, they don't want to take a chance on any kind of slip up or fumbled ball placement..

so you won't see a large number of attempted FGs anyways..

just look at the Steelers/Dolphins game a few weeks back...how many times did Miami and Pitt go for it on 4th down?

how many missed FG's were there?

you can expect similar results in high winds and driving snow/rain/sleet..

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanner9919 said:
if you're talking about 25-30 MPH winds like the ones predicted for the Jets/Pats game, I'd probably avoid the kickers in that game, at all costs..and what generally happens in other bad weather games, is that the head coaches are more apt to go for it on 4th down even if they are within FG range, they don't want to take a chance on any kind of slip up or fumbled ball placement..so you won't see a large number of attempted FGs anyways..just look at the Steelers/Dolphins game a few weeks back...how many times did Miami and Pitt go for it on 4th down? how many missed FG's were there?you can expect similar results in high winds and driving snow/rain/sleet..
;) I picked up Matt Bryant and will start him vs Atl over the NE K.

Users who are viewing this thread