What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Knowshon Moreno (1 Viewer)

eaglezzz

I kind of think Moreno has a chance to bounce back and live up to the hype that he had coming into the league. I feel this Denver RB situation is comparable to last years Raiders one entering the season. McFadden and M. Bush were both kind of in the same situation as Moreno and McGahee this year. People are down on Moreno almost throwing him to the gutter much as they were with McFadden last year. In a 2010 draft people were drafting M. Bush (until he got hurt) before they were taking McFadden.

With Moreno going to be in a John Fox running offense I think he is a value pick this year especially in PPR leagues.

Anyone else think Moreno could pull a McFadden???

Willis McGahee is a perfect example of what John Fox likes in a runner, a big guy who can pick up the tough yards. He eventually gave DeAngelo the opportunity, but only after he was pretty much forced to based on his performance (and the fact that DeAngelo has the ability to pick up the tough yards as well).

I think Mcgahee is the value play in Denver this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one of the few who think people are going to miss the boat on Moreno this year.

I'm on team Moreno. :popcorn:

I'm with you OP...just make sure you put on your flame-resistant suit cause you will likely get flamed on this one...

I'm with you OP...just make sure you put on your flame-resistant suit cause you will likely get flamed on this one...
:goodposting: I have been saying that Moreno is getting over looked by many and is really taking an ### kicking on these boards.He is a young all purpose RB that is not in the elite tier but he has the chance to be a very solid RB going forward in the NFL and fantasy football.Way to many people have hate for a guy who has not been as bad as people make him out to be.

The way I remember it last year...

It seemed like close to a RBBC 50-50 split in oakland and with the injury riddled DMC it seemed like a situation to avoid. ADP for DMC was round 8-10 or so. Bush got banged up week 3 or 4 of preseason. McFadden was forced to be the bell cow and he blows up and the RBBC went down the drain. The situation with Moreno is not at all similar, 3-4 round ADP and a healthy McGahee. Still though, I like Moreno this year.

:shrug: I like both guys this year, but McGahee a little more given his ADP. For example, I got McGahee @ pick 9.11 in a 12 team redraft. It was probably about 12 picks too soon, but I still feel like I got good value. Moreno went 3 rds earlier.

The problem with your comparison is that McFadden has more talent in one of his fingers than Moreno has in his whole body. Other than that, you might be on to something.

I think Moreno is very undervalued this year, Ive seen him go in the 6th round fairly often, but I dont think he is capable of a Top 8-10 season in that offense and with McGahee, ie put up a DMC type year (IIRC, DMC was going a lot later last year than Moreno this year as well).

At the same time, I think McGahee is a huge value considering the other RBs available when he gets picked. He's averaged 8.4 TDs/year over his career, and I dont see that changing this year. He's gonna get his share of yards, and I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up with more rushing TDs than Knowshon

There's a huge difference between Darren McFadden last year and Knowshon Moreno this year. Going into last year, McFadden had 217 career carries. Moreno had more than that just in his first season (247), and has double that total through two years (429). Moreno also has nearly double the number of starts. Moreno spent his rookie year getting wildly outperformed by a 31 year old Correll Buckhalter, while McFadden spent his rookie putting identical production to Bush. In other words, after 2 years, Darren McFadden's grade was an "incomplete"- we hadn't seen enough to draw sweeping conclusions. That's not the case with Moreno- we have far more evidence in, so we're much safer in saying he is what he's shown to date. And this isn't a case where, now that I have the benefit of hindsight, I'm saying "wow, we should have known it was too early to give up on McFadden". To quote myself from October 2009: "Trade for Darren McFadden. Now. Yes, the Raiders are a mess, and he's been a huge disappointment so far this year. I don't care."

A year and a half ago, there was still reason to believe that Darren McFadden could be a high-caliber RB in the NFL. Today, I'm not convinced that there's any reason to hold out a similar hope for Moreno. I didn't like his talent coming into the league, and all he's done since then is reinforce that opinion- he's slow, he has no burst, and he lost the creativity that made him so interesting to watch in college. Plus he has a complete and total lack of big plays on his resume- which is fine if you're Jerome Bettis, but Knowshon Moreno is no Jerome Bettis.

Now, I'm not much of a McGahee fan, either (that's putting it mildly- I've called him a "garbage RB" before), so I'm not convinced he's going to take the job and run away with it, either. I really don't think there's much value anywhere in the Denver backfield. What little value there is, however, probably resides more with McGahee, who is a much better fit for the scheme and is, in my opinion, a better NFL runner.

I am on board with Moreno as well. I have liked what I have seen this preseason. He looks like a completely different player.

I am on board with Moreno as well. I have liked what I have seen this preseason. He looks like a completely different player.
This.While I respect SSOG's opinion immensely, I think Moreno was not "wildly outperformed" by Buck in his rookie season - the two were used differently. IIRC he has also been hampered by some nagging albiet minor injuries. He appears to be healthy and running with purpouse.

While it may be tempting to look at his first two seasons #s and extrapolate, he is going to be in a different offensive system this season under Fox and looks to be well prepared for it. IMHO, Moreno's first two season's stats are his floor - and his cieling is significantly higher. It's similar to the way I view Wells - only Denver didn't go out and draft an uber-talented rookie RB - they brought in a 30 year-old journeyman who is past his prime.

i like moreno as a solid value this year. people do this all the time with players. they want the new rookie the new fr sure "bust-out" candidate, ignoring the fact that moreno was having a pretty solid year last year.

mcgahee will probably get more tds, but in a ppr league I expect moreno to have far more catches and yards then old willis.

I expect good years from beanie and knowshon.

FYI according to MFL ADP he is going middle of round 5. I think that is great potential value.

We aren't talking first 3 rounds here.

A Moreno love thread, cool.

All of you can be on board all you want, he just aint that good. McGahee is the guy to own in Denver, hence, he is gonna score the TDS and get 3rd down work.

A Moreno love thread, cool.All of you can be on board all you want, he just aint that good. McGahee is the guy to own in Denver, hence, he is gonna score the TDS and get 3rd down work.
There is pretty much no chance McGahee gets 3rd down work. He isn't even close to Moreno's talent in the receiving game. I get a lot of people being down on Moreno, he hasn't shown a ton and its possible Denver might suck this year, but what really gets me is people who are down on Moreno but high on McGahee. McGahee backers...have you watched the Ravens the past 3 years? McGahee is done as a quality RB and that was the case 2 years ago. He's a decent short yardage runner and that's it at this point. Baltimore went out and upgraded from him this offseason. McGahee doesn't catch well, has no breakaway speed and might not even be a better short-yardage runner than Moreno. I think what he did in Baltimore is exactly what to expect in Denver.Basically I think either Moreno will break out and have a good year, or Denver will have a lousy running game, I don't see any other realistic option.

There's a huge difference between Darren McFadden last year and Knowshon Moreno this year. Going into last year, McFadden had 217 career carries. Moreno had more than that just in his first season (247), and has double that total through two years (429). Moreno also has nearly double the number of starts. Moreno spent his rookie year getting wildly outperformed by a 31 year old Correll Buckhalter, while McFadden spent his rookie putting identical production to Bush. In other words, after 2 years, Darren McFadden's grade was an "incomplete"- we hadn't seen enough to draw sweeping conclusions. That's not the case with Moreno- we have far more evidence in, so we're much safer in saying he is what he's shown to date. And this isn't a case where, now that I have the benefit of hindsight, I'm saying "wow, we should have known it was too early to give up on McFadden". To quote myself from October 2009: "Trade for Darren McFadden. Now. Yes, the Raiders are a mess, and he's been a huge disappointment so far this year. I don't care."

A year and a half ago, there was still reason to believe that Darren McFadden could be a high-caliber RB in the NFL. Today, I'm not convinced that there's any reason to hold out a similar hope for Moreno. I didn't like his talent coming into the league, and all he's done since then is reinforce that opinion- he's slow, he has no burst, and he lost the creativity that made him so interesting to watch in college. Plus he has a complete and total lack of big plays on his resume- which is fine if you're Jerome Bettis, but Knowshon Moreno is no Jerome Bettis.

Now, I'm not much of a McGahee fan, either (that's putting it mildly- I've called him a "garbage RB" before), so I'm not convinced he's going to take the job and run away with it, either. I really don't think there's much value anywhere in the Denver backfield. What little value there is, however, probably resides more with McGahee, who is a much better fit for the scheme and is, in my opinion, a better NFL runner.
I agree his rookie year was not very good.But can you elaborate on how last year he was not a very good RB?

Last year he averaged 89 total yards per game and .61 tds' per game

Over a season that is 1417 yards and 10 tds. Not elite but pretty effective none the less. And all indications show he has again improved from year 2 to 3. So those numbers could very well go up.

A Moreno love thread, cool.All of you can be on board all you want, he just aint that good. McGahee is the guy to own in Denver, hence, he is gonna score the TDS and get 3rd down work.
There is pretty much no chance McGahee gets 3rd down work. He isn't even close to Moreno's talent in the receiving game. I get a lot of people being down on Moreno, he hasn't shown a ton and its possible Denver might suck this year, but what really gets me is people who are down on Moreno but high on McGahee. McGahee backers...have you watched the Ravens the past 3 years? McGahee is done as a quality RB and that was the case 2 years ago. He's a decent short yardage runner and that's it at this point. Baltimore went out and upgraded from him this offseason. McGahee doesn't catch well, has no breakaway speed and might not even be a better short-yardage runner than Moreno. I think what he did in Baltimore is exactly what to expect in Denver.Basically I think either Moreno will break out and have a good year, or Denver will have a lousy running game, I don't see any other realistic option.
Ummmmm McGahee has always been a good receiver , always been a good short yardage runner , while not blazing speed has shown some burst at least , he's also a solid blocker. Now he is no stud by any means but neither is Moreno

This.While I respect SSOG's opinion immensely, I think Moreno was not "wildly outperformed" by Buck in his rookie season - the two were used differently. IIRC he has also been hampered by some nagging albiet minor injuries. He appears to be healthy and running with purpouse.

While it may be tempting to look at his first two seasons #s and extrapolate, he is going to be in a different offensive system this season under Fox and looks to be well prepared for it. IMHO, Moreno's first two season's stats are his floor - and his cieling is significantly higher. It's similar to the way I view Wells - only Denver didn't go out and draft an uber-talented rookie RB - they brought in a 30 year-old journeyman who is past his prime.
Reports from Lammey are that he does look like a completely different player- in a bad way. He shed a lot of weight, which reduced his power without increasing his burst. He's also been struggling in the blocking scheme.Also, I stand by my "wildly outperformed" assertion. Their usage was slightly different, but not as much as people made it out to be. Buckhalter averaged ONE POINT SIX MORE YARDS PER CARRY. There is no usage pattern that can explain away the difference between 5.4 ypc and 3.8 ypc behind the same line. Next you're going to tell me that Jamaal Charles didn't "wildly outperform" Thomas Jones last year, they were just used differently.

If you want to go by different stats that better account for the differences in usage, CBuck had 6.3% DVOA vs. -4.9% for Moreno (remember, DVOA accounts for situation). Moreno's success rate was a respectable 50%, but Buckhalter actually led the NFL with 58%. In terms of receiving, Buckhalter had 4.2% DVOA (240 yards on 38 targets), while Moreno had -13.8% (217 yards on 41 targets). Buckhalter gained almost 3 times as much total DYAR (112 vs. 40) on about half as many touches, despite the fact that DYAR is a counting stat. Outside of the statistics, I watched every game, and frequently commented on the forums on how it was a bloodbath and Buckhalter was just radically more effective than Moreno (I can dig up some links if you need verification).

I agree his rookie year was not very good.

But can you elaborate on how last year he was not a very good RB?

Over a season that is 1417 yards and 10 tds. Not elite but pretty effective none the less. And all indications show he has again improved from year 2 to 3. So those numbers could very well go up.
Last year he was a passable fantasy RB, but a mediocre-or-worse NFL RB. His fantasy numbers were propped up by the fact that his competition was Lawrence Maroney, who was in the middle of one of the most epically awful seasons I can ever remember an RB having. With McGahee siphoning off value, his production will fall.In terms of advanced statistics, Moreno ranked 28th with -4.4% DVOA last year, and a brutal 33rd with a 43% success rate. He just wasn't an effective running back, although some of that falls on his supporting cast, too.

'travdogg said:
'JuSt CuZ said:

All of you can be on board all you want, he just aint that good. McGahee is the guy to own in Denver, hence, he is gonna score the TDS and get 3rd down work.
There is pretty much no chance McGahee gets 3rd down work. He isn't even close to Moreno's talent in the receiving game. I get a lot of people being down on Moreno, he hasn't shown a ton and its possible Denver might suck this year, but what really gets me is people who are down on Moreno but high on McGahee. McGahee backers...have you watched the Ravens the past 3 years? McGahee is done as a quality RB and that was the case 2 years ago. He's a decent short yardage runner and that's it at this point. Baltimore went out and upgraded from him this offseason. McGahee doesn't catch well, has no breakaway speed and might not even be a better short-yardage runner than Moreno. I think what he did in Baltimore is exactly what to expect in Denver.
You do realize he had 14 TDs 2 years ago, right? He has 3 TDs this preseason on limited touches.

'SSOG said:
'DoubleG said:
'whodeywhodey said:

Reports from Lammey are that he does look like a completely different player- in a bad way. He shed a lot of weight, which reduced his power without increasing his burst. He's also been struggling in the blocking scheme.Also, I stand by my "wildly outperformed" assertion. Their usage was slightly different, but not as much as people made it out to be. Buckhalter averaged ONE POINT SIX MORE YARDS PER CARRY. There is no usage pattern that can explain away the difference between 5.4 ypc and 3.8 ypc behind the same line. Next you're going to tell me that Jamaal Charles didn't "wildly outperform" Thomas Jones last year, they were just used differently.

If you want to go by different stats that better account for the differences in usage, CBuck had 6.3% DVOA vs. -4.9% for Moreno (remember, DVOA accounts for situation). Moreno's success rate was a respectable 50%, but Buckhalter actually led the NFL with 58%. In terms of receiving, Buckhalter had 4.2% DVOA (240 yards on 38 targets), while Moreno had -13.8% (217 yards on 41 targets). Buckhalter gained almost 3 times as much total DYAR (112 vs. 40) on about half as many touches, despite the fact that DYAR is a counting stat. Outside of the statistics, I watched every game, and frequently commented on the forums on how it was a bloodbath and Buckhalter was just radically more effective than Moreno (I can dig up some links if you need verification).

'Carter_Can_Fly said:

Last year he was a passable fantasy RB, but a mediocre-or-worse NFL RB. His fantasy numbers were propped up by the fact that his competition was Lawrence Maroney, who was in the middle of one of the most epically awful seasons I can ever remember an RB having. With McGahee siphoning off value, his production will fall.In terms of advanced statistics, Moreno ranked 28th with -4.4% DVOA last year, and a brutal 33rd with a 43% success rate. He just wasn't an effective running back, although some of that falls on his supporting cast, too.
All due respect to Lamney, but there are multiple reports from other reporters who've watched the same practices and games who've said he looks better and more comfortable than he has before, with more explosion and more decisiveness. You can believe whoever you want, really. The mind sees what it wants to see. I think Moreno is going to rack up a lot of yardage, maybe 1300 or 1400 total yards, but only score maybe 5 to 7 total TDs.

He's going to be exceptional value for where he'll be drafted.

'travdogg said:
'JuSt CuZ said:

There is pretty much no chance McGahee gets 3rd down work. He isn't even close to Moreno's talent in the receiving game. I get a lot of people being down on Moreno, he hasn't shown a ton and its possible Denver might suck this year, but what really gets me is people who are down on Moreno but high on McGahee. McGahee backers...have you watched the Ravens the past 3 years? McGahee is done as a quality RB and that was the case 2 years ago. He's a decent short yardage runner and that's it at this point. Baltimore went out and upgraded from him this offseason. McGahee doesn't catch well, has no breakaway speed and might not even be a better short-yardage runner than Moreno. I think what he did in Baltimore is exactly what to expect in Denver.
You do realize he had 14 TDs 2 years ago, right? He has 3 TDs this preseason on limited touches.
I don't think that means he's got anything left. Its not like it took any special skill to score those TD's, I mean Ray Rice could have scored those TD's and more if Baltimore had given him the chance. I don't doubt that McGahee will get goal-line work and has a decent chance of having more TD's than Moreno, I just think he's almost no threat whatsoever to Moreno's starting job, and I would be shocked if Moreno saw less than 65% of the RB touches.

'travdogg said:
'JuSt CuZ said:

I don't think that means he's got anything left. Its not like it took any special skill to score those TD's, I mean Ray Rice could have scored those TD's and more if Baltimore had given him the chance. I don't doubt that McGahee will get goal-line work and has a decent chance of having more TD's than Moreno, I just think he's almost no threat whatsoever to Moreno's starting job, and I would be shocked if Moreno saw less than 65% of the RB touches.
35% of the RB touches + GL work sounds like a recipe for McGahee = value

'SSOG said:
'DoubleG said:
'whodeywhodey said:

'Carter_Can_Fly said:

Moreno on the move

Running back Knowshon Moreno is the healthiest, fittest and fastest he has been in his NFL career, and he showed that to thousands of fans Saturday at Invesco Field at Mile High. The former Georgia star produced the most electrifying play of the scrimmage when he caught a screen pass from Kyle Orton and gained 44 yards, including an open-field move to spin away from safety Darcel McBath.

Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post

Read more: Defensive end Elvis Dumervil steals show at Denver Broncos' scrimmage - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18632407?source=pkg#ixzz1WvXXk93n

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
BTW McGahee looks extremely slow to me this preseason.Still think the value here is Moreno.

All due respect to Lamney, but there are multiple reports from other reporters who've watched the same practices and games who've said he looks better and more comfortable than he has before, with more explosion and more decisiveness. You can believe whoever you want, really.

The mind sees what it wants to see. I think Moreno is going to rack up a lot of yardage, maybe 1300 or 1400 total yards, but only score maybe 5 to 7 total TDs.

That is the gospel truth. I understand how someone could be high on Moreno, and I totally see how his path is clear to put up bigger numbers, I'm just saying that I'm not one of them. I think the guy's an NFL never-will-be.

All due respect to Lamney, but there are multiple reports from other reporters who've watched the same practices and games who've said he looks better and more comfortable than he has before, with more explosion and more decisiveness. You can believe whoever you want, really.

The mind sees what it wants to see. I think Moreno is going to rack up a lot of yardage, maybe 1300 or 1400 total yards, but only score maybe 5 to 7 total TDs.

That is the gospel truth. I understand how someone could be high on Moreno, and I totally see how his path is clear to put up bigger numbers, I'm just saying that I'm not one of them. I think the guy's an NFL never-will-be.
I was able to pick him up 2 weeks ago at 7.5 in a 14 man PPR league. I will take that value any day. Hightower was also available, but I just don't trust the Redskins.

Ryan mathews is right around the same adp and falling in some drafts. Similiar situation but we will see. I gambled on mathews. Who has the better opportuniity to emerge? Cant remember who was better talent wise, iirc mathews. Mathews is on a better offense as well...

Ryan mathews is right around the same adp and falling in some drafts. Similiar situation but we will see. I gambled on mathews. Who has the better opportuniity to emerge. Cant remember who was better talent wise, iirc mathews. Mathews is on a better offense as well...
Mathews >>>> Moreno

I'm starting the hell out of Moreno this week vs OAK. If gives me 60+30yds rushing/receiving, I am content. And I will take that production all season with some TDs sprinkled in, of course.

Sorry to bring this up but I will never forget your Ron Dayne campaign ... so based on your track record with Denver RBs I am now very high on Knowshon.

DVOA ??? Holy crap I am having flashbacks ... Wasn't that the crazy stat you came up with that made Ron Dayne look like the best RB in the NFL

The way I remember it last year...It seemed like close to a RBBC 50-50 split in oakland and with the injury riddled DMC it seemed like a situation to avoid. ADP for DMC was round 8-10 or so. Bush got banged up week 3 or 4 of preseason. McFadden was forced to be the bell cow and he blows up and the RBBC went down the drain. The situation with Moreno is not at all similar, 3-4 round ADP and a healthy McGahee. Still though, I like Moreno this year.
I thought DMAC was the one that had the lingering hammy all pre-season. And then all the expert sites were basically writing him off and of course he did great. But he could be had for peanuts right up until the beginning of the season.There is a lot of opinions flowing in this thread and a bunch of it seems to be the recency effect in high gear. But the facts, to me at least, look like this:-Moreno has been dinged up a lot so far (and so had DMAC).-Moreno, when he played was putting up high RB2 (borderline RB1) numbers in my PPR. Seems like he was getting 16-18 points each week and that is pretty good.-People really piled on Moreno about being too light this pre-season. But with DMAC, it was always "he has chicken legs..he is too thin"...Now its "He is SOOOO fast". Point being: if you don't look proto-typical, you get slighted until you do something; then you get called unique and special. Reminds me of how the "expert" sites used to say Jamal Charles was too light and thin to make a FF impact as anything more than a change of pace back....ok....-I see a lot of "stats" and numbers tossed around and direct conclusions made from them but I've watched these games in Denver the past few years and, to be simple about it, I just say the whole story isn't there in the stats. There was so much going on and maybe best described as McDaniels was trying to put circles in square holes when it came to the running game. It was just a total mismatch of skills with philosophies. But now comes John Fox, a man that, if nothing else, is going to run the ball. Actually, if you want a TRUE stat, look at this: Fox teams run the ball when they are tied AND behind more than any other team in the NFL. So, they ARE going to run the ball: when they are leading, when they are even, and when they are behind. So who is going to run the ball? Everyone will I guess but there is enough to go around. But I seriously doubt if McGahee is going to be resurected. If nothing else, we ahve to remember there was a reason why he wasn't good enough several years ago and a RB that was supposed to complement him took his job. And there is a reason why Ricky Williams (who is NOTHING compared to what he used to be...little verification here dolphins fans??) is expected to give them as much as Willis did.The reality is the Ravens are a very good team that gave LOTS of opportunities. But Willis doesn't play on a team as good as the Ravens anymore, so its not going to be the same deal.

I foresee a lot of statlines like this:Moreno 17-79-0McGahee 5-12-2
McGahee is going to rush for 32 TDs? Wow. :excited:
What a wasted post. "A lot" doesn't equate to "100% of weeks".Ironically, I ended up taking Moreno when he fell to me past his adp.
it was a joke there Sparky. For what it's worth, as a Moreno owner I do fear McGahhe taking some easy TDs away - but that's about it. I do agree about your predicted staline once in a while - but I also think Moreno will typically add on 20-40 yars receiving. I'll take 100+ all-purpouse yards and about 8-10 TDs sprinkled in, and Mcgahee can still have his 6-8 TD plunges.

Moreno fun facts:

- among all RB, WR, TE in PPR last year, Moreno ranked 28th with 15.1 points per game. that's the same as Mendenhall. Bradshaw scored 14.9.

- in PPR, Moreno scored 0.86 pts per touch. that is more than Rice, CJ, AP, and Gore. what he lacks in carries and TDs, he makes up for with productive receptions.

- despite finishing the season with 20 touches in 3 games, Moreno averaged 17 touches per game. that's the same as Charles, and only slightly less than Forte and McCoy. being a good pass catching back helps make up for a lack of touches.

certain players are better in fantasy than reality and I think Moreno qualifies, specifically in PPR. sometimes it's tough to stomach drafting players we don't believe in, but Moreno is a productive player in PPR as long as he gets ~17 touches/game.

'qimqam said:
Sorry to bring this up but I will never forget your Ron Dayne campaign ... so based on your track record with Denver RBs I am now very high on Knowshon.
Bring it up all you want. The front office said Dayne was the starter. I said that the starter in Denver is a fantasy stud, so if Dayne is the starter, then Dayne will be a fantasy stud. Obviously that one didn't play out the way I expected it to, but if Dayne *HAD* remained the starter, I still think he would have produced great fantasy stats (just look at what he did with the starting job in Houston back when Houston was a weaker running team than Denver). Oh well- if you take some big swings, you're going to see your share of embarrassing whiffs. The question is whether you'll hit enough home runs to compensate for your strikeouts.Of course, if you want to talk about my track record with Denver RBs, you have to discuss my entire history of predictions on the subject, not just the one prediction that blew up in my face. As I remember it, I have made three bold calls regarding the Denver backfield. The first was to declare that Tatum Bell would never be anything more than a CoP back... back when many experts were advocating drafting him in the first two rounds (he was actually on the cover of one national fantasy magazine). The second was to say that Mike Anderson was going to win the starting RB job in 2005 and, moreover, that he would be a top 10 fantasy back... back when his ADP was in the 18th round. The third was that Ron Dayne would win the starting job in 2006 and would likewise be a top 10 fantasy back. Yeah, that third pick was a real stinker- Dayne didn't even wind up making the team- but the first two were right on the money. I said a preseason top-10 guy would be a complete afterthought, I said a preseason afterthought would be a top-10 guy, and I said a second preseason afterthought would also be a top-10 guy... and I was right on 66% of those calls. I'll take that track record to the bank and deposit it all day long.

If you want to talk about my track record, perhaps you should start with this thread.

'qimqam said:
DVOA ??? Holy crap I am having flashbacks ... Wasn't that the crazy stat you came up with that made Ron Dayne look like the best RB in the NFL
I didn't "come up with" DVOA, and it's not a crazy stat. It was developed by a group called Football Outsiders, and it later became so big that FO currently has a contract with ESPN. It measures a player's effectiveness compared to league average, adjusted for down, distance, situation, and quality of opposition. It's not the be-all, end-all to player evaluation (it makes no effort to tease player performance out from supporting cast), but it's a pretty good measure of how effective a player is in his specific role. Moreover, some people happen to like the advanced stats, so I provided it in addition to several other standard stats in order to reinforce a point that was already strong enough to stand on its own two feet. You can pick whatever metric you like- whether it's a standard one like YPC or an advanced one like DVOA- and they all show CBuck outperforming Moreno by a substantial margin.
'Shutout said:
-I see a lot of "stats" and numbers tossed around and direct conclusions made from them but I've watched these games in Denver the past few years and, to be simple about it, I just say the whole story isn't there in the stats. There was so much going on and maybe best described as McDaniels was trying to put circles in square holes when it came to the running game. It was just a total mismatch of skills with philosophies.
What? Knowshon Moreno was the very first draft pick Josh McDaniels ever made. He drafted Moreno very high despite having gaping holes on defense. Moreno was the player he hand-picked to run his very, very specific offensive vision. Moreno's skills were about as good of a match for McDaniels' scheme as they possibly could be. The problem wasn't that Moreno was a square peg in Josh McDaniels' "round hole offense", the problem is that Moreno's skills might have been sufficient qualitatively, but they were insufficient quantitatively. In other words, he had the correct skills, but an insufficient amount of them. Translation: he just wasn't as good as McDaniels thought he was.If anything, Fox's offense is more of a mismatch for Moreno's particular skills than McDaniels' was. Moreno lacks the power that Fox loves, while Fox has never been too keen on using his RBs in the passing game (which was a big reason why Moreno was drafted so high). Regardless, I think the shape of Moreno's skills is pretty universal- I think he'd be equally good in any offense. Or equally bad in any system, if you'd rather.

'qimqam said:
Bring it up all you want. The front office said Dayne was the starter. I said that the starter in Denver is a fantasy stud, so if Dayne is the starter, then Dayne will be a fantasy stud. Obviously that one didn't play out the way I expected it to, but if Dayne *HAD* remained the starter, I still think he would have produced great fantasy stats (just look at what he did with the starting job in Houston back when Houston was a weaker running team than Denver). Oh well- if you take some big swings, you're going to see your share of embarrassing whiffs. The question is whether you'll hit enough home runs to compensate for your strikeouts.Of course, if you want to talk about my track record with Denver RBs, you have to discuss my entire history of predictions on the subject, not just the one prediction that blew up in my face. As I remember it, I have made three bold calls regarding the Denver backfield. The first was to declare that Tatum Bell would never be anything more than a CoP back... back when many experts were advocating drafting him in the first two rounds (he was actually on the cover of one national fantasy magazine). The second was to say that Mike Anderson was going to win the starting RB job in 2005 and, moreover, that he would be a top 10 fantasy back... back when his ADP was in the 18th round. The third was that Ron Dayne would win the starting job in 2006 and would likewise be a top 10 fantasy back. Yeah, that third pick was a real stinker- Dayne didn't even wind up making the team- but the first two were right on the money. I said a preseason top-10 guy would be a complete afterthought, I said a preseason afterthought would be a top-10 guy, and I said a second preseason afterthought would also be a top-10 guy... and I was right on 66% of those calls. I'll take that track record to the bank and deposit it all day long.

If you want to talk about my track record, perhaps you should start with this thread.

Over 16 games Knowshon's stats last year project to over 1400 yds and 10tds ... that includes the last 3 games which he averaged 6 touches per game.

970 yds rushing & 6 tds

457 yds receiving & 4 tds

The first 10 games of last season (minus the last 3 games which he barely played) project to 1700 yds & 13 tds over 16 games

1142 yds rushing & 8 tds

556 yds receiving & 5 tds

Where would that rank him in FF 2010? Just ahead of AP and 2nd only to Foster

'qimqam said:
I didn't "come up with" DVOA, and it's not a crazy stat. It was developed by a group called Football Outsiders, and it later became so big that FO currently has a contract with ESPN. It measures a player's effectiveness compared to league average, adjusted for down, distance, situation, and quality of opposition. It's not the be-all, end-all to player evaluation (it makes no effort to tease player performance out from supporting cast), but it's a pretty good measure of how effective a player is in his specific role. Moreover, some people happen to like the advanced stats, so I provided it in addition to several other standard stats in order to reinforce a point that was already strong enough to stand on its own two feet. You can pick whatever metric you like- whether it's a standard one like YPC or an advanced one like DVOA- and they all show CBuck outperforming Moreno by a substantial margin.
'Shutout said:
-I see a lot of "stats" and numbers tossed around and direct conclusions made from them but I've watched these games in Denver the past few years and, to be simple about it, I just say the whole story isn't there in the stats. There was so much going on and maybe best described as McDaniels was trying to put circles in square holes when it came to the running game. It was just a total mismatch of skills with philosophies.
What? Knowshon Moreno was the very first draft pick Josh McDaniels ever made. He drafted Moreno very high despite having gaping holes on defense. Moreno was the player he hand-picked to run his very, very specific offensive vision. Moreno's skills were about as good of a match for McDaniels' scheme as they possibly could be. The problem wasn't that Moreno was a square peg in Josh McDaniels' "round hole offense", the problem is that Moreno's skills might have been sufficient qualitatively, but they were insufficient quantitatively. In other words, he had the correct skills, but an insufficient amount of them. Translation: he just wasn't as good as McDaniels thought he was.If anything, Fox's offense is more of a mismatch for Moreno's particular skills than McDaniels' was. Moreno lacks the power that Fox loves, while Fox has never been too keen on using his RBs in the passing game (which was a big reason why Moreno was drafted so high). Regardless, I think the shape of Moreno's skills is pretty universal- I think he'd be equally good in any offense. Or equally bad in any system, if you'd rather.

Over 16 games Knowshon's stats last year project to over 1400 yds and 10tds ... that includes the last 3 games which he averaged 6 touches per game.970 yds rushing & 6 tds457 yds receiving & 4 tdsThe first 10 games of last season (minus the last 3 games which he barely played) project to 1700 yds & 13 tds over 16 games1142 yds rushing & 8 tds556 yds receiving & 5 tdsWhere would that rank him in FF 2010? Just ahead of AP and 2nd only to Foster
Cool. If you pro-rate his talent over 16 games and subtract the games where he was hurt and barely played, he's still nowhere near as good as Darren McFadden. If he was, the Broncos wouldn't have been trying to sign DeAngelo Williams this offseason.

Over 16 games Knowshon's stats last year project to over 1400 yds and 10tds ... that includes the last 3 games which he averaged 6 touches per game.970 yds rushing & 6 tds457 yds receiving & 4 tdsThe first 10 games of last season (minus the last 3 games which he barely played) project to 1700 yds & 13 tds over 16 games1142 yds rushing & 8 tds556 yds receiving & 5 tdsWhere would that rank him in FF 2010? Just ahead of AP and 2nd only to Foster
Cool. If you pro-rate his talent over 16 games and subtract the games where he was hurt and barely played, he's still nowhere near as good as Darren McFadden. If he was, the Broncos wouldn't have been trying to sign DeAngelo Williams this offseason.
actually his numbers are better then DMCs over his first 2 seasons both real and pro rated (though i'm not going to even bother running out mcfadden's numbers because the sample size in year 1 and 2 were far too low to actually include based on the small number of games played). people seem to forget how much everyone had given up on mcfadden at this time last year. moreno is good value this year based upon his ADP.

Users who are viewing this thread