What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Johnson to Cincinnati (1 Viewer)

I think LJ's a good signing for the Bengals. I watched the game yesterday and it seemed liked Scott got dinged a few times himself and came out for a bit. Granted, it's only the first time I've seen Scott for an extended period, but I don't think the Bengals can run the same offense with him as an every down back. LJ would at least give them a workhorse body and a goal line guy if Benson's out. More passing for Carson and Co.?

I also don't agree with comments that LJ wouldn't come into a situation where he was promised a chance to start. He was just cut mid-season from a crappy team.....
Yeah I don't see that either, I also don't see a LJ signing with a team where he thinks that he's going to sit on the bench the whole time as "insurance". I think that you're right that the most likely scenario is that Cedric Benson will be missing some time.

The Roc is supposed to refer to Roc-a fella, better known as the Rapper Jay-Z's record label. I think I remember seeing LJ being in one of his videos so I think they are friends.

Hypothetical: Let's say the Vikings didn't have Chester Taylor and are standing at 8-1. AP is dinged but not going to miss any time and has been getting a heavy workload recently. Their backup is an unproven rookie w/ less than 25 career carries. Would it not make sense to sign Larry Johnson? Seems like that is the situation here. Agreed?
if that's the case, why not sign him last week? They had the same need right? The difference between last week and this week was their starting RB left the game with an injury.
Johnson's agent said last week that he wouldn't sign until Monday at the earliest. Plus, Johnson didn't clear waivers until Tuesday, which means that Johnson probably wouldn't have been ready for Sunday's game anyway.

Nothing personal, I don't think because you happen to be a fan and season ticket holder gives you any special knowledge if Benson is wearing down or not.The dude has a boatload of carries through nine games (leading the league with 205 even after missing most of last week's game) and a hip injury, that reportedly has been a nagging issues for a few weeks, may well be a sign that he is in fact wearing down a bit.
Understood and nothing personal taken. My comment about being educated on the Bengals were more to the point of that I understand how much the Bengals value Benson (i.e. they aren't going to promise LJ a shot at the starting position). The reason I dispute that he's wearing down is more common sense. A 25 year old RB in week 9 isn't wearing out. I'll bet the house on it. It just doesn't happen especially considering he wasn't used all that much in his years with Chicago.Would the workload take its toll and hurt him being effective by playoff time? Maybe (I'd still say no but could see it possible). A heavy workload is usually a cumulative thing that takes place over the years and shows at that magical "30 year" point that we read in so many preseason threads. At this point I completly reject the idea that he's breaking down mid-season with 205 carries. Is SJax ready to break down at 191? Is Peterson at 181? This isn't the reason Cincy is looking at LJ.

When Benson was held out of the game, as much as I like Scott I really felt very concerned about their ability to grind up the clock and finish the game. They did move the ball some and Scott did get a key first down but they also had to settle for a field goal and Pittsburgh got the ball back down 6. If Ced is in worse shape or doesn't heal as quick as expected (or takes one wrong shot in the hip) I'd be genuinely concerned about how the running game would function without him (I don't see Scott as being quite the bruiser that Benson is). LJ as a cheap alternative to build depth makes sense IMO. If he ends up acting like the guy he was at the end of his tenure in KC, you just cut him. I don't think the Bengals would have any problem with that given the minimal investment. If he's got something left, then it turns out to be a shrewd move.

The more practical question is what happens with the game-day roster next week. It's pretty much impossible that Scott will come out after his kick returns this week and I really don't want to see Leonard deactivated (though that would seem to be the most likely outcome) unless of course they choose to go shy at WR. Of course if Benson really is fine it'd be interesting to see if they even activate LJ this week.

-QG

CinBengalsNFL Twitter

Bengals have talked to larry johnson and he will visit

But lewis says if he signs it would be only as a fourth back for insurance

Lewis says it has no affect on benson scott or leonard and that if do sign him he d be inactive

Beetlejuice said:
Nothing to see here beyond pushing Bernard Scott out until next year as the primary backup to Benson. This ends no differently than the Shaun Alexander stint in Washington. Age, declining YPC...many similarities between the two. If Ced is truly injured now or in the future LJ being the bellcow will not end well for the Bengals.
this is so wrong on so many levels. LJ is stil a heck of a power back. SA was cooked when he signed with Wash. LJ is better than Benson. Benson runs behins a sick line. LJ ran behind a a 2 inch high picket fence. I think CIN is better with LJ than Benson.

CinBengalsNFL TwitterBengals have talked to larry johnson and he will visit But lewis says if he signs it would be only as a fourth back for insuranceLewis says it has no affect on benson scott or leonard and that if do sign him he d be inactive
If this is the straight goods, I don't think that LJ signs with the Bengals.

CinBengalsNFL TwitterBengals have talked to larry johnson and he will visit But lewis says if he signs it would be only as a fourth back for insuranceLewis says it has no affect on benson scott or leonard and that if do sign him he d be inactive
exactly. There is no way LJ signs with Cinccy to ride pine behind players he is better than.

Beetlejuice said:
Nothing to see here beyond pushing Bernard Scott out until next year as the primary backup to Benson. This ends no differently than the Shaun Alexander stint in Washington. Age, declining YPC...many similarities between the two. If Ced is truly injured now or in the future LJ being the bellcow will not end well for the Bengals.
this is so wrong on so many levels. LJ is stil a heck of a power back. SA was cooked when he signed with Wash. LJ is better than Benson. Benson runs behins a sick line. LJ ran behind a a 2 inch high picket fence. I think CIN is better with LJ than Benson.
The notion that Benson is just running through huge holes and is some kind of product of the system is flat out incorrect. If you watch the team and him run, I don't how anyone can come away with that opinion. The "Benson Blows" stuff may have had some validity back in the day, but he's been a flat out stud this season, and his skillset has been pretty apparent during this run.

Beetlejuice said:
The notion that Benson is just running through huge holes and is some kind of product of the system is flat out incorrect. If you watch the team and him run, I don't how anyone can come away with that opinion. The "Benson Blows" stuff may have had some validity back in the day, but he's been a flat out stud this season, and his skillset has been pretty apparent during this run.
I didnt say he was running through huge holes. I said he had a sick line and that LJ had one of the worst.Benson was thought of as WASTE until his resurgence. behind a good line. Why can't this happen to LJ?

Beetlejuice said:
Both agree and disagree.Agree that LJ is still a heck of a back and that comparisons to LJ and SA aren't apples to apples. LJ still has tread left while SA had one foot in the retirement grave.Disagree that LJ is better than Benson and that Cincy is better off with LJ. What makes you think Benson isn't better than LJ? His stint with Chicago? He's still a young bull and was drafted #4 overall for a reason. The guy is a stud who simply didn't fit in Chicago. I understand that Cincy's O-line is worlds better than KC's. No disputing that. I also think Benson is just now hitting his stride and that we are seeing the player that was drafted #4. In addition you also need to consider chemistry. How'd Benson do in Chicago? Putting LJ in Cincy just might result in a similar circumstance. Benson has found a home here. His work effort is phenomenal, the coaches love him, his teammates love him and he's producing. I don't see anything that would suggest that Cincy would be better off with LJ.He is nothing more than an insurance policy. Benson is going nowhere.

exactly. There is no way LJ signs with Cinccy to ride pine behind players he is better than.
again, who else is offering?

Benson will miss some time....that partly explains the signing. I don't think LJ would want to sign and ride the pine.

The Benglas made themselves much better. Even if Benson (who has been great thus far) is ok....they have a one two punch that can rival the Panthers, Dolphins, and the Cowboys (if they ever figure out they should give MBIII the ball 20 touches a game and Choice at least 10 touches a game). Most teams are now getting themselves 2 very solid RB's....it is the trend. I would not be surpised to see the Ravens start to sprinkle McGahee back into the fold to ease up on Rice's touches to keep him fresh for a post season run as well.

Great pick up for the the upstart Bengals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my take after thinking about it. Marvin is being truthful when he says the LJ signing would be for depth. How can you promise anything to him now? What might happen is that although he starts out as RB4, he wows everyone in practice and keeps getting promoted all the way up to RB2. If Benson holds up, LJ is a great backup and will maybe get 8-12 carries a game to keep Benson fresh for the end of season/playoffs. If Benson is really injured, he gives the Bengals a grind it out starting running back with some tread on the tires for the league minimum. That way Lewis doesn't risk upsetting the Bengals chemistry.

seems odd. Why not just sit on the sidelines then and wait for a better opportunity?

Beetlejuice said:
I know its hard to let go...but 2006 was so long ago. LJ is not still a "heck of a power back". LJ is not better than Benson. CIN is not better with LJ than Benson.

again, who else is offering?
You apparently dont know LJ very well. he just wont sign anywhere. He's to proud. for bettor or worse.

Beetlejuice said:
Seriously. First time I've ever heard anyone refer to the Bengals OL as "sick" in a good way.

Beetlejuice said:
I know its hard to let go...but 2006 was so long ago. LJ is not still a "heck of a power back". LJ is not better than Benson. CIN is not better with LJ than Benson.
people said the same thing about benson. Actually people were harder on Benson. Dont make me drag out the old benson threads.

Beetlejuice said:
Seriously. First time I've ever heard anyone refer to the Bengals OL as "sick" in a good way.
are you saying that the Bugles O-Line isnt sick?

Beetlejuice said:
people said the same thing about benson. Actually people were harder on Benson. Dont make me drag out the old benson threads.
Are you saying a young RB like Benson with virtually no mileage is comparable to LJ's ~800,000 career carries? Unfortunately Earl Campbell threads don't exist.

A lot of speculation here, but remember, as of right now, he hasn't SIGNED with anyone yet, including Cincy. Right now he is just "visiting", which is more serious than just "looking" but less serious than "signing"

Beetlejuice said:
Are you saying a young RB like Benson with virtually no mileage is comparable to LJ's ~800,000 career carries? Unfortunately Earl Campbell threads don't exist.
Since when is 1,375 a ton of carries?

Beetlejuice said:
People said what about Benson? That he had a good 2006 season? Benson never did much of anything before coming to the Bengals. That is well documented and nobody is disputing that fact. But you are without question in a very small minority that thinks a 30 year old LJ almost 3 seasons removed from being truly effective should be playing in front of a 27 year old Benson in the Bengal lineup. That's cool....I get the strategy of not letting the facts get in the way of a good story. Keep selling it and somebody might overpay you for LJ in a trade. Good luck with that.

chidoy said:
steviey said:
Sammy Traveller said:
according to Ocho Cinco Network:mad:OGOchoCinco OCNN BREAKING NEWS: LJ hasn't signed with Bengals, when and if he does ill tweet the ROC is n bldg
Translation of ROC please?
I'll take a shot....When LJ scores, he does a "diamond" symbol with his hands... Jay-Z does the same thing and say's the "Roc is in the buildin"
Its been so long since we've seen him score, dont think anyone really remembers seeing it

From Bengals.com

"Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has told former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson that if the club agrees to sign him it will be purely for insurance purposes, that it won't affect the status of the other three backs, and he won't be active for games "initially," as he performs back-up duties such as working on the scout team and special teams."

To this I say :unsure:

They are being upfront so if LJ signs he knows exactly what he's getting into.

-QG

From Bengals.com"Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has told former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson that if the club agrees to sign him it will be purely for insurance purposes, that it won't affect the status of the other three backs, and he won't be active for games "initially," as he performs back-up duties such as working on the scout team and special teams."To this I say :unsure:They are being upfront so if LJ signs he knows exactly what he's getting into.-QG
If that's the case, does LJ hold out to see who else comes knocking? I'd have to imagine he wants to start. I'd also have to imagine that there are teams out there who feel he would be an upgrade (if his attitude is in check).

From Bengals.com"Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has told former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson that if the club agrees to sign him it will be purely for insurance purposes, that it won't affect the status of the other three backs, and he won't be active for games "initially," as he performs back-up duties such as working on the scout team and special teams."To this I say :lol:They are being upfront so if LJ signs he knows exactly what he's getting into.-QG
If that's the case, does LJ hold out to see who else comes knocking? I'd have to imagine he wants to start. I'd also have to imagine that there are teams out there who feel he would be an upgrade (if his attitude is in check).
None have stepped forward

From Bengals.com

"Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has told former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson that if the club agrees to sign him it will be purely for insurance purposes, that it won't affect the status of the other three backs, and he won't be active for games "initially," as he performs back-up duties such as working on the scout team and special teams."

To this I say :thumbup:

They are being upfront so if LJ signs he knows exactly what he's getting into.

-QG
None have stepped forward
I would assume that the main reason LJ would want to play this season is to showcase his talent to try to get a big contract next season. Sitting on the bench in the stands on gameday behind Brian Leonard won't further this goal.If I were him, I'd wait for a major injury to a RB on a contender.

Bengals interested in RB Larry Johnson as backup

By JOE KAY - AP Sports Writer

2009-11-16 13:36

CINCINNATI (AP) -Running back Larry Johnson is expected to visit the Bengals, who are interested in signing him as a backup only.

Coach Marvin Lewis says Johnson would be fourth on the team's depth chart at running back if he decides to try to revive his troubled career in Cincinnati. Kansas City released him a week ago, on the day he was due back following his second suspension in the last year.

Cedric Benson couldn't finish an 18-12 win in Pittsburgh on Sunday because of a strained hip muscle. Lewis, speaking Monday, says Benson might be available to play next week in Oakland. But Lewis says the interest in Johnson isn't related to Benson's injury.

AND THIS:

Larry Johnson - RB, Kansas City

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Monday that free agent Larry Johnson will be inactive on game days if he signs with the club.

Fantasy Source spin: Lewis said the decision to bring L.J. in for a tryout has no bearing on Cedric Benson or Bernard Scott's stance on the depth chart. Johnson would simply be an insurance policy as the Bengals' No. 4 tailback. This is another good indication that the club still expects Benson (hip) to play in Week 11.

Source: Bengals on Twitter

Beetlejuice said:
are you saying that the Bugles O-Line isnt sick?
Well, when I watched Hard Knocks their line was a big issue. Big enough to convert a defensive lineman to an offensive lineman out of desperation. Hell, they even spent their 1st round pick to address their offensive line issues and the guy hasn't even played snap yet. Clearly they are playing well enough to pass protect and allow Benson to rack up lots of yards, but it would be be a stretch to attribute Bensons success to the offensive line soley. This dude was a high 1st round pick and has apparently re-dedicated himself to the game. Surely his skills are coming into play.

ESPN's Michael Smith reports that free agent Larry Johnson is en route to Cincinnati and slated to sign with the Bengals on Monday.

The Bengals don't weigh character into personnel decisions, so this is an ideal fit. It remains to be seen if L.J.'s addition is a sign that Cedric Benson (hip) won't be ready for Week 11. The team said Sunday that Benson's injury wouldn't cost him any time, so Johnson may only be an "insurance" pickup. He's unlikely to be a big factor in the backfield immediately.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Why would LJ sign on to be a backup when so many RBs are down with injuries? Unless there has just been absolutely no interest in him, which is certainly possible.

Amazing to me that SEA hasn't signed this guy. It made sense last week, and makes even more sense with JJ banged up. JMO.

Beetlejuice said:
LJ doesnt have much mileage.

footballsavy said

Well, when I watched Hard Knocks their line was a big issue. Big enough to convert a defensive lineman to an offensive lineman out of desperation. Hell, they even spent their 1st round pick to address their offensive line issues and the guy hasn't even played snap yet. Clearly they are playing well enough to pass protect and allow Benson to rack up lots of yards, but it would be be a stretch to attribute Bensons success to the offensive line soley. This dude was a high 1st round pick and has apparently re-dedicated himself to the game. Surely his skills are coming into play.

Again, I am not saying it is JUST the O-Line, but a huge reason for his success is because it has "come together"

hard knocks was 5 months agao. Things change fast in the NFL.

Stop talking about Benson being a first round pick. All of the draft results mean squat when it comes to really playing.

Don't kid yourself, Benson was TRASH until the end of last year until now. He seems to have figured things out.

Larry Johnson was a 1st Rounder too. And has put up 2 of the most prolific back to back fantasy seasons by a running back in recent memeory.

yoadrian said:
steviey said:
If Benson's injury is minor like they are letting on there is no way they are bringing in LJ to replace him as the starter is there? The guy is running lights out, is quite a bit younger and has way less mileage on him. So if he is healthy he may lose some carries to LJ but surely he will remain the feature back. Someone please agree with me on this :)
Facts:-LJ is 30 yrs olds

-Bernard Scott seems to be locked in the special teams role

-Benson is no spring chicken - Benson is only 26

-Benson was averaging 25 carries per game in the first 8 games even with other backups who could have spelled him

-Benson has been running with a stout OL all season Benson is averaging 4.2 behind that line - Scott 3.3 and Leonard 2.7

I think if anything, barring a season ending injury from Benson (which I doubt), LJ will split with Benson or take some of his carries away. Which honestly doesn't make either choice look great IMO
Actually I think LJ wanted to go to a team that he thought he could win a championship with and possibly play some role on. He will get an opportunity, but only if Benson is hurt and hurt more seriously than originally thought - Scott and Leonard have been fair at best (see their YPC above). If Benson is healthy, he will likely still get a serious majority of the carries.

yoadrian said:
steviey said:
If Benson's injury is minor like they are letting on there is no way they are bringing in LJ to replace him as the starter is there? The guy is running lights out, is quite a bit younger and has way less mileage on him. So if he is healthy he may lose some carries to LJ but surely he will remain the feature back. Someone please agree with me on this :kicksrock:
Facts:-LJ is 30 yrs olds

-Bernard Scott seems to be locked in the special teams role

-Benson is no spring chicken - Benson is only 26

-Benson was averaging 25 carries per game in the first 8 games even with other backups who could have spelled him

-Benson has been running with a stout OL all season Benson is averaging 4.2 behind that line - Scott 3.3 and Leonard 2.7

I think if anything, barring a season ending injury from Benson (which I doubt), LJ will split with Benson or take some of his carries away. Which honestly doesn't make either choice look great IMO
Actually I think LJ wanted to go to a team that he thought he could win a championship with and possibly play some role on. He will get an opportunity, but only if Benson is hurt and hurt more seriously than originally thought - Scott and Leonard have been fair at best (see their YPC above). If Benson is healthy, he will likely still get a serious majority of the carries.
I agree with this. LJ is outspoken but not a fool. How could he possibly think he could be both (a) on a contender and (b) the lead back this year? He would take a role on a championship-calibur team and try to expand that role when given the chance. Overall, I wouldn't be surprised to see Benson / LJ share carries in some 55/35 combo with Scott taking the last 10. Unfortunately both Benson and LJ are momentum runners and need to carry the ball a lot to get into the game and be productive. Therefore, they might sustain the Bengals attack, but lose any top tier FF value (ie, get used to 15 carry, 50 yard games with an occasional TDs).

Users who are viewing this thread