What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

league concept - redraft trading future picks (1 Viewer)

FUBAR

Footballguy
There are a lot of different varieties of leagues, salary cap, dynasty, keeper, redraft, etc. one thing I haven't seen is a league where each year is a redraft but you could trade future picks for this year's picks or players.

This wouldn't have to operate all that different from a normal redraft, except you would be able to trade 2014 or maybe even 2015 picks to win in 2013. If you wanted to sell out to win now, you could. If you wanted to trade this year in the hopes for a great 2014, go for it. You would have to pay in advance, and it's easy to see how getting a new owner could be an issue, but we deal with those issues with bad dynasty teams already.

This could either be done where every year is equal, or in 3 year increments something like 20-20-20-40 (40% total points over three years) which would give incentive to balance your years.

It doesn't require a longer commitment than dynasty, and bad luck would be somewhat off set, such as career ending injury or your star TE going to jail.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your payouts should be guaranteed even if the league does not have all the teams return year two and three regardless of replacement teams (just play with less teams.)

You'd have to push the trade deadline up to avoid upsetting the balance of power too much right at the end. Because lets face it, the teams who aren't making the playoffs are accepting any offer they get to improve for the next season. I think a team who tries to win every year is going to have an uphill battle.

Interesting idea that would be fun to try, but I wouldnt play it for big money.

You'd have to push the trade deadline up to avoid upsetting the balance of power too much right at the end. Because lets face it, the teams who aren't making the playoffs are accepting any offer they get to improve for the next season. I think a team who tries to win every year is going to have an uphill battle.

Probably week 10 or so. Playoffs start week 14. Assuming 12 teams with 6 in the playoffs.

Another thought is to stop trading when a team is eliminated each year. Meaning if your team is eliminated, you can't trade. Not sure how practical that is though.

Probably week 10 or so. Playoffs start week 14. Assuming 12 teams with 6 in the playoffs.Another thought is to stop trading when a team is eliminated each year. Meaning if your team is eliminated, you can't trade. Not sure how practical that is though.
Hmm. What would be better... eliminated teams can't trade... or once the first team is eliminated (or 2nd or 3rd), no one can trade?

Trade deadline would have to be much earlier for the picks. Later than that, you're going to really increase the possibility of severly pissed off competing owners who won't return.

I would say no later than end of Week 5. :shrug:

Interesting idea.

We do it in our league and it actually works pretty well. First of all, you would want to make sure it is a stable league - the last thing you need is someone trading away picks and then leaving the league. We've had pretty much the same guys for 15 years and just started doing this 3 or 4 years ago.

The rules for our league are that nobody can trade away more than 2 picks and nobody can acquire more than 2 picks. All picks are for the following year only. Our trade deadline is week 10 or 11 (can't remember exactly) so there are always teams that are looking to sell out for next year. It definitely adds another element to the league and has been fun for us. Being a Footballguy, I've been a buyer the last couple of years and have traded picks to get that one player I think I need at the time. I have confidence that I can make up a draft pick and it has worked out well so far.

Hope this helps!

the teams who aren't making the playoffs are accepting any offer they get to improve for the next season.
This is the reason why I wouldn't play in a re-draft league that allowed future picks to be traded. The incentive for bad teams to trade away their studs is too great. And owner activity would go way down, too, for teams that traded their studs.

For all the reasons mentioned above, this would not work well in a complete redraft league. My keeper league allows for trading picks but only for the following year. Teams wount trade their studs since they will most likely use them as their keepers.

the teams who aren't making the playoffs are accepting any offer they get to improve for the next season.
This is the reason why I wouldn't play in a re-draft league that allowed future picks to be traded. The incentive for bad teams to trade away their studs is too great. And owner activity would go way down, too, for teams that traded their studs.
What do your bad teams do in your redraft leagues? In mine they usually lose interest once they look to be out of it.

FUBAR said:
TheCommish said:
What do your bad teams do in your redraft leagues? In mine they usually lose interest once they look to be out of it.
In the league I run, I have incentives to keep people active. They may lose interest, but they are still very active because there is still money to be won each week. I've had teams with 2 or 3 wins in week 12 paying waiver wire fees to help them win another game.

Users who are viewing this thread