What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

League member wants to drop Peterson.....moral issue!.. Commish ne (1 Viewer)

I disagree with the people that say he should have to field offers from other teams and accept one. This person probably doesn't want to gain anything from a guy he feels beats his child, this person probably would have a knot in his stomach if Peterson got him any fantasy points or even brought him a player that did. Unless you paid his entry fee for him or it is a free league, let him run his team how he wants to run his team.

This is the kind of thing I open up to the league because feelings on this are going to be diverse. I'm not sure if it's possible per your leagues particular setup but since the guy wants to drop him (presumably to pick up someone he believes to be useful to himself right now) you consider adding him to IR manually until the league decides what action to take. It puts him out of the player pool and allows the guy who owns him to have the extra spot.
Excellent. Problem solved. Let this guy snag whoever he wants and just say this is a special case and we need to make sure everyone is treated with respect here including the other 11 owners.
no it's not a good solution at all. ADP's situation is not at all unique. This is not the first time an active player is facing a suspension.
How often does a player drafted in the top 5 have this hanging over their head after 1 week of football? He doesn't want him to be able to drop AP because if he plays, the person who picks him up gets a huge advantage for being top waiver priority, but the guy wants to drop him. To open up a slot. I mean you could allow the drop and put out a league wide message stating no one can pick him up until a league wide vote too. Does the same thing.

The guy with AP probably will not be able to pick up much of anyone in a waivers priority system at this point anyways. Both AP backups are probably already rostered considering waivers already processed and this broke last night. He's almost certainly not going to get anyone he can play this week. In the meantime you are not allowing him on waivers for someone to "accidentally" pick up
The guy that has the top waiver priority has earned the right to pick up any free agent or any player that is dropped. That's how rolling waivers works. He didn't jump at the first waive of waiver wire all stars and therefore he gets the benefit. Simple as that.The best commisioners are the ones that let everyone run their team the way they want to and doesn't step in unnecessisarily when there are clear rules/proceudres in place.
I have already stated their is no waiver priority after initial waiver run Wed am......
Dropped players midweek don't go on waivers for a day or 2? You need to really go over your league rules for next year, it's a bit of a mess.

Don't overthink it. Its not your job to place values on guys. You make special concessions for AP, you will create more problems.

I disagree with the people that say he should have to field offers from other teams and accept one. This person probably doesn't want to gain anything from a guy he feels beats his child, this person probably would have a knot in his stomach if Peterson got him any fantasy points or even brought him a player that did. Unless you paid his entry fee for him or it is a free league, let him run his team how he wants to run his team.
Agreed and that's why you allow him to cut Peterson or simply put him in a special IR pool off the guy's team and then figure out what to do with him in the free agent pool. No one wants the owner of Peterson to have to feel like he MUST keep him. He doesn't have to and nobody else has to profit on it either.

If it were my league I wouldn't do anything as commish to bar the owner dropping him unless I thought the motivation was an attempt to ruin the league for others.

But I would speak to the owner. Point out that causing a bunch of arguments and bad feelings amongst our owners would only increase the harm done by Peterson's actions. If he really needs a way to air his feelings on the matter, invite him to write a message board post or a league article about the moral dilemma of supporting athletes whose conduct he can't condone. And that if he can't stomach owning Peterson, to please trade him for the good of the league rather than cut him.

That would be my action. But if a league decided balance was too disrupted by it and something had to be done, I'd suggest going with the "require him to trade him rather than drop him" solution.

This is the kind of thing I open up to the league because feelings on this are going to be diverse. I'm not sure if it's possible per your leagues particular setup but since the guy wants to drop him (presumably to pick up someone he believes to be useful to himself right now) you consider adding him to IR manually until the league decides what action to take. It puts him out of the player pool and allows the guy who owns him to have the extra spot.
Excellent. Problem solved. Let this guy snag whoever he wants and just say this is a special case and we need to make sure everyone is treated with respect here including the other 11 owners.
no it's not a good solution at all. ADP's situation is not at all unique. This is not the first time an active player is facing a suspension.
How often does a player drafted in the top 5 have this hanging over their head after 1 week of football? He doesn't want him to be able to drop AP because if he plays, the person who picks him up gets a huge advantage for being top waiver priority, but the guy wants to drop him. To open up a slot. I mean you could allow the drop and put out a league wide message stating no one can pick him up until a league wide vote too. Does the same thing.

The guy with AP probably will not be able to pick up much of anyone in a waivers priority system at this point anyways. Both AP backups are probably already rostered considering waivers already processed and this broke last night. He's almost certainly not going to get anyone he can play this week. In the meantime you are not allowing him on waivers for someone to "accidentally" pick up
The guy that has the top waiver priority has earned the right to pick up any free agent or any player that is dropped. That's how rolling waivers works. He didn't jump at the first waive of waiver wire all stars and therefore he gets the benefit. Simple as that.The best commisioners are the ones that let everyone run their team the way they want to and doesn't step in unnecessisarily when there are clear rules/proceudres in place.
I have already stated their is no waiver priority after initial waiver run Wed am......
Dropped players midweek don't go on waivers for a day or 2? You need to really go over your league rules for next year, it's a bit of a mess.
This.

You have already failed as the commish of your league if dropped layers go straight to free agents as a free for all.

This problem is on you, if that's the case. And I don't know what the answer to that is, because it's going to be a continuous season long problem, but making rule changes mid-season is best avoided.

Maybe if he drops Peterson you set it so that Peterson runs with the waivers at the end of week 2 (this Tue night likely), that way waiver priority determines who gets him, everybody is pretty much guaranteed to have plenty of time and opportunity to know he is out there, and whoever does put a claim in for him will do so at the expense of other players that emerge after week 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
How often does a player drafted in the top 5 have this hanging over their head after 1 week of football? He doesn't want him to be able to drop AP because if he plays, the person who picks him up gets a huge advantage for being top waiver priority, but the guy wants to drop him. To open up a slot. I mean you could allow the drop and put out a league wide message stating no one can pick him up until a league wide vote too. Does the same thing.The guy with AP probably will not be able to pick up much of anyone in a waivers priority system at this point anyways. Both AP backups are probably already rostered considering waivers already processed and this broke last night. He's almost certainly not going to get anyone he can play this week. In the meantime you are not allowing him on waivers for someone to "accidentally" pick up
This.You have already failed as the commish of your league if dropped layers go straight to free agents as a free for all.

This problem is on you, if that's the case. And I don't know what the answer to that is, because it's going to be a continuous season long problem, but making rule changes mid-season is best avoided.

Maybe if he drops Peterson you set it so that Peterson runs with the waivers at the end of week 2 (this Tue night likely), that way waiver priority determines who gets him, everybody is pretty much guaranteed to have plenty of time and opportunity to know he is out there, and whoever does put a claim in for him will do so at the expense of other players that emerge after week 2.
Pretty harsh words Spartan.......I don't feel I have "failed" as commish.......after our ranked waiver run We'd we have always had immediate add/ drops.....this is not some Antsports league but 12 passionate owners who take things pretty seriously. No one has ever complained about our waiver process...ever. So is we had ongoing waiver priority one owner would still be unfairly lucky due to this "Haley's Comet " event of the dropping of a non injured top 4 player..

I will institute a rule involving dropping of top draft choices unless injured for an extended period next year.

Most waiver leagues also have first come first served after the waivers process... but only for unclaimed players. Dropped players should have to pass through a waiver period. Why would you restrict that to only top draft picks? It doesn't even solve the alleged problem you claim to find here. What if this same story happened to Foster late in his breakout season?

I don't think you've failed. As a commish things come up. You have to do what you feel is right for your league. It aint always easy.

You could do a league vote. You say this is long running, serious league......get the guys to vote and go with it. Just make sure you league rules make it clear on how to handle this kind of situation for the future.

As a sidenote, this is why I like blind bidding waivers. This would be a non-issue. Whoever valued him most would pay for him.

Top players or not, there are guys that get dropped midweek that are valuable. It isn't fair that the first person to log onto the site gets a crack them. Every league I have ever played in had a 1-2 day waiver clearance for dropped players. It also prevents potential collusion because team A can't tell team B, "I will drop the player at 1:30 so log on and grab him right away."

I don't think you've failed. As a commish things come up. You have to do what you feel is right for your league. It aint always easy.

You could do a league vote. You say this is long running, serious league......get the guys to vote and go with it. Just make sure you league rules make it clear on how to handle this kind of situation for the future.

As a sidenote, this is why I like blind bidding waivers. This would be a non-issue. Whoever valued him most would pay for him.
Exactly, blind bidding and dropped players hitting waivers solves the problem. A guy cutting Peterson becomes no different then the emergence of a Julius Thomas last year. Every team has an equal shot to make a move for a potential game changer.

How often does a player drafted in the top 5 have this hanging over their head after 1 week of football? He doesn't want him to be able to drop AP because if he plays, the person who picks him up gets a huge advantage for being top waiver priority, but the guy wants to drop him. To open up a slot. I mean you could allow the drop and put out a league wide message stating no one can pick him up until a league wide vote too. Does the same thing.The guy with AP probably will not be able to pick up much of anyone in a waivers priority system at this point anyways. Both AP backups are probably already rostered considering waivers already processed and this broke last night. He's almost certainly not going to get anyone he can play this week. In the meantime you are not allowing him on waivers for someone to "accidentally" pick up
This.You have already failed as the commish of your league if dropped layers go straight to free agents as a free for all.

Pretty harsh words Spartan.......I don't feel I have "failed" as commish.......
You have not failed. Just try to make the best decision you can make with everyone on board. If Peterson is dropped, then don't let anyone pick him up this year if it would cause an issue otherwise.Then, for 2015, make the move to blind bid waivers. It is a great system.

Allow him to cut Peterson and not allow players to pick up and start him for the season.

Allowing him to gift a top 5 player to whoever has top waiver priority is effectively the same as collusion.

Allow him to cut Peterson and not allow players to pick up and start him for the season.

Allowing him to gift a top 5 player to whoever has top waiver priority is effectively the same as collusion.
He's a top 5 player in your opinion. I define the top 5 players as those who will score fantasy points, which I believe Peterson won't.

Making up rules as you go along is what ruins "competitive balance".

First off, Peterson could be suspended or cut. We have no idea how valuable he will actually be. Secondly, people pick up elite players because they have the top waiver spot all the time. It is never fair. It should be blind bidding.

Maybe this is me with a hook in my mouth. I dunno. Commish stuff is not my favorite thing.

If the owner wants to drop him because he's disgusted, that's his choice as an owner. Just like it is for the Vikings.

If another team is not disgusted and wants to pick him up, that's their choice too. Just like real life.

If I were the commish, I would let the owner drop him. And not do anything.

J
Joe, it's odd you run this place yet know little about how FF leagues operate. There's a reason why there's usually a "can't cut" list. The integrity of the game requires it sometimes. If some owner got upset at a commissioner for a ruling he disagreed with, and decided to drop all his players to free agency, like Peyton Manning on the waiver wire, it would screw up the league. Can't start making decisions like this willy nilly.
I agree 100% with Joe. My long-standing league eliminated the "can't cut" list years ago. This was to create the most freedom in each person being able to manage their own team, without interference from ESPN's list of who they think is valuable, and without waiting for ESPN to change a player's status, costing valuable time in waiver wire drop/pickups. If the owners in a league aren't smart enough to manage their team, it's time to start looking for new owners. Any league member should be free from Commish micromanagement in roster decisions, period.

Most waiver leagues also have first come first served after the waivers process... but only for unclaimed players. Dropped players should have to pass through a waiver period. Why would you restrict that to only top draft picks? It doesn't even solve the alleged problem you claim to find here. What if this same story happened to Foster late in his breakout season?
Agreed.

Having dropped players go to waivers is pretty basic stuff that event he free hosting sites' public leagues get right.

I can't believe that after years this is the first time it's even come up, or that you would only want to bother doing it the right way for a "top 4" player

Top players or not, there are guys that get dropped midweek that are valuable. It isn't fair that the first person to log onto the site gets a crack them. Every league I have ever played in had a 1-2 day waiver clearance for dropped players. It also prevents potential collusion because team A can't tell team B, "I will drop the player at 1:30 so log on and grab him right away."
Exactly.

I would hate a league like that, I would feel like I would need to set up instant email notifications for everything and then live at my email. It's really not much better than allowing players to be added during the middle of their game.

On a related note I think rolling waivers basically suck and a FAAB (free agent acquisition budget) is the only way to go. I mean, you are so concerned about "fairness" in everybody getting a shot at the guy, but that's super easy to do. Dropped players go onto waivers and you use FAAB for making waiver claims. Done.

As has been stated here, it's not the commish's role to determine if its "ok" to drop a certain player. If your rules allow for someone to pick him up on a FCFS basis and that may pose a problem, then you should look to adjust your league settings next season for waiver runs each night.

ETA: As this is a unique case, as commish you certainly should have the ability to determine and implement a fair solution (freeze him, auction of some sort, putting him on hold until next weeks waivers)

Maybe I'm in the minority here but what happened to manage your own team? They are fake fantasy players gaining points. You have no moral obligation to remove any player from any league. Everyone is all up in arms about the latest incidents, but a mob mentality sure won't help. The media is inciting feelings into many people playing fantasy football and it's creating rash decisions. Making owners remove players like Rice, Peterson, Hardy, etc certainly is not going to help at all and is going to piss off owners in your league. If I put money forth in a league and had to drop Peterson because of some idiot commissioner, the commish would probably get a beating far worse that what Janay Rice got. Nobody here is condoning what the players did. Did any of this happen when Vick was fighting dogs or Stallworth hit and killed someone?

Maybe I'm in the minority here but what happened to manage your own team? They are fake fantasy players gaining points. You have no moral obligation to remove any player from any league. Everyone is all up in arms about the latest incidents, but a mob mentality sure won't help. The media is inciting feelings into many people playing fantasy football and it's creating rash decisions. Making owners remove players like Rice, Peterson, Hardy, etc certainly is not going to help at all and is going to piss off owners in your league. If I put money forth in a league and had to drop Peterson because of some idiot commissioner, the commish would probably get a beating far worse that what Janay Rice got. Nobody here is condoning what the players did. Did any of this happen when Vick was fighting dogs or Stallworth hit and killed someone?
It started a riot in the SP fyi...

But I hear you Hubie ;)

I still don't see how this thread isn't closed and the OP directed to the AC forum though

This was my first thought, too. But I see the merit in letting everyone make a trade offer for him.

All owners make a trade offer and the owner picks the one he likes best. If an owner doesn't want him he doesn't offer anything. If the AP owner doesn't like any offers, he drops him and picks up someone he likes on the waiver wire.

In reality, this in line with existing league rules. The owner could contact every owner and offer him in trade, and if he didn't like any of them he could drop him. So no special rules or twisting of protocol.

The only difference is the commish is hand-holding the owner's through the normal procedures. And that shouldn't be necessary, I agree. But that's a small accommodation to ensure it's handled as fairly as possible. In the end, all normal league rules were in place and uncompromised. That's a win, I think.
This was my thinking in my original proposal. It is hand-holding by the commish to maintain balance, but it is not a violation of the league's rules or process.

Where I had trouble is what to do if none of the trades is acceptable (perhaps because the current owner of ADP has no interest in benefiting from a trade as another poster suggested). In this situation, it would have helped for the league to have had a waiver period for dropped players, blind bidding, etc. and I agree with the other posters suggesting these are changes that should be considered in the offseason.

Given that the league does not have a "can't cut" list, I think the owner absolutely should be able to drop ADP if there are no acceptable trades. The only question becomes the process by which other franchises could pick up ADP after the drop. I proposed an announced lottery. But I guess that is no more or less random than having ADP suddenly appear available on FCFS waivers and whomever happens to be refreshing the website at that moment wins.

Let the guy run his own team. It is a bad precedent to change rules midseason. If you want to prevent something like this in the future vote on a rule in the offseason.

Jeesh, this might be the most pertinent message of the entire thread. Why on earth wouldn't you have a 48 hour waiver wire after weekly waivers run? What a terrible omission.

The guy that has the top waiver priority has earned the right to pick up any free agent or any player that is dropped. That's how rolling waivers works. He didn't jump at the first waive of waiver wire all stars and therefore he gets the benefit. Simple as that.

The best commisioners are the ones that let everyone run their team the way they want to and doesn't step in unnecessisarily when there are clear rules/proceudres in place.
I could be wrong but I think this is just a straight cut and into the FCFS portion of the week. Waiver ran on Wed or Thurs is my assumption but perhaps that is false.
Well, maybe. Dropped players should always go into the next waiver run IMO - but if it is FCFS then those rules apply.

The guy that has the top waiver priority has earned the right to pick up any free agent or any player that is dropped. That's how rolling waivers works. He didn't jump at the first waive of waiver wire all stars and therefore he gets the benefit. Simple as that.

The best commisioners are the ones that let everyone run their team the way they want to and doesn't step in unnecessisarily when there are clear rules/proceudres in place.
Next year you should set up a second waiver run on Saturday Night for players that were dropped. FCFS for dropped players has an element of unfairness to it - but if that's your rules now, then that rule should apply.

This has probably been said already, but the best commish is one who doesn't use the commish tools after the season starts.

Next year you should set up a second waiver run on Saturday Night for players that were dropped. FCFS for dropped players has an element of unfairness to it - but if that's your rules now, then that rule should apply.
I would think that in any league where the owners are more than half checked out, if Adrian Peterson was released, and the first person who refreshed the site got him, that would immediately lead to a rule change the next season where after weekly waivers, if a player is released, they instantly go to a 48 hour waiver wire. Sometimes you have to have a huge thing happen to make people realize what an abomination a bad rule is, or in this case, a terrible omission from a league.

This has probably been said already, but the best commish is one who doesn't use the commish tools after the season starts.
Great point.

Oh, totally. Cause you know, #### doesnt happen.

While the rules of this league obviously need updating, lets not pretend that weird and new situations dont find a way into just about every commissioners season. Seriously.

I don't putsch value in Peterson right now. Let the league run as the rules state. The owner is making a perfectly rationale move. Maybe will motivate adding new rules next year.

I don't think you have anything to worry about here. This is not a situation where AP is saying he did not do anything. I cannot see a way where he will play this year, too explosive of an issue. He will need to let this play out, then do an apology tour. That will take pretty much the balance of the year. There is a reason why Minnesota deactivated him so quickly, and that reason is that Minneapolis as a city has a weird mix of progressive activist types and pseudo-conservatives that lean left of social issues. None of this plays well to that crowd. I can't see how this get explained away. Let him get dropped.

I don't think you have anything to worry about here. This is not a situation where AP is saying he did not do anything. I cannot see a way where he will play this year, too explosive of an issue. He will need to let this play out, then do an apology tour. That will take pretty much the balance of the year. There is a reason why Minnesota deactivated him so quickly, and that reason is that Minneapolis as a city has a weird mix of progressive activist types and pseudo-conservatives that lean left of social issues. None of this plays well to that crowd. I can't see how this get explained away. Let him get dropped.
You seem to be the only other person on this forum that recognizes what Minnesota is like. I don't care how many people in Texas think you need to reserve judgment... If the Vikings confirm the authenticity of those texts, photos, and alleged statements to the police, the best case scenario for Peterson is they deactivate him the entire year.

Koya said:
Alkahsu said:
Oh, totally. Cause you know, #### doesnt happen.

While the rules of this league obviously need updating, lets not pretend that weird and new situations dont find a way into just about every commissioners season. Seriously.
Oh they do, of course.

But this shouldn't be one of them.

Having dropped players go to waivers is basic stuff

Joe Bryant said:
Maybe this is me with a hook in my mouth. I dunno. Commish stuff is not my favorite thing.

If the owner wants to drop him because he's disgusted, that's his choice as an owner. Just like it is for the Vikings.

If another team is not disgusted and wants to pick him up, that's their choice too. Just like real life.

J
I agree 100%. IMO, the only sticky part of this is the FCFS free agency. Someone is going to luck their way into picking him back up. Or, worse... The current ADP owner could tip off his best bud in the league.

Joe Bryant said:

J
I agree 100%. IMO, the only sticky part of this is the FCFS free agency. Someone is going to luck their way into picking him back up. Or, worse... The current ADP owner could tip off his best bud in the league.
Well I will admit the problem here is he told the commisioner first he was going to do it giving him "inside information". That does put the commisioner/OP in a bad spot as he either will be the first person to jump on Peterson, which honestly could cause a #### storm, or have to recluse himself (which is a bit unfair to him). That's the problem with FCFS waivers on players that have been dropped. I still think they need to follow the rules, as is - but this situation is a little different admittedly.

Joe Bryant said:

J
Well I will admit the problem here is he told the commisioner first he was going to do it giving him "inside information". That does put the commisioner/OP in a bad spot as he either will be the first person to jump on Peterson, which honestly could cause a #### storm, or have to recluse himself (which is a bit unfair to him). That's the problem with FCFS waivers on players that have been dropped. I still think they need to follow the rules, as is - but this situation is a little different admittedly.
Agreed. The commissioner should probably just deny all knowledge of the situation and hope it plays itself out...

:cool:

I hate to say it but probably letting him drop him is best. If his reasons are trully moral then getting something in a trade basically goes a bit against those morals. However tjst only covers his end. Having peterson or anyone else not go through waivers is bad for everone else, except the lucky guy who logs on first after the drop.plus to play devil's advocate what if he emails someone first to let them know when he is dropping him?

Rolling waivers......first come first serve. This would be an unprecedented drop of a top 4 player whose disposition we are not aware of

As Commish i am confused as to what to do......freeze him.....have a lottery.... do not allow the drop.

We are a serious long standing league.....feel this would disrupt the leagues competitive balance

Thanks in advance.
dont sound too serious if someone is dropping ADP for punishing his kid...

I would not intervene... Isn't the emergence of any player the boon of whoever is on top of the waiver wire?

His choice to drop ADP... not sure why he wouldn't go the trade route but it isn't the commissioner's role to make special cases...

ETA: Incidentally, doesn't a dropped player go on waivers rather than FCFS?

I would not intervene... Isn't the emergence of any player the boon of whoever is on top of the waiver wire?

His choice to drop ADP... not sure why he wouldn't go the trade route but it isn't the commissioner's role to make special cases...

ETA: Incidentally, doesn't a dropped player go on waivers rather than FCFS?
Have you read the thread?

OP did not set this league up that way. Dropped players are first come first serve. That's the problem...the league rules are not very good. But they are what they are.

I'd get a league vote going ASAP to let you change the rules ASAP so this crap doesn't happen again.

Just so silly IMO. Fantasy means having nothing to do with real life. It's a game. There is no moral issue.

I'm Jewish , but if Adolf Hitler averaged 2 TDs a game, he might have been my first pick. Because it's all make believe.

Just so silly IMO. Fantasy means having nothing to do with real life. It's a game. There is no moral issue.

I'm Jewish , but if Adolf Hitler averaged 2 TDs a game, he might have been my first pick. Because it's all make believe.
Everyone is affected differently by different issues. Let's say, for example, someone was abused as a child. Every time they set they're lineup with AP on their roster they think of the abuse.

Maybe Hitler was too long ago to emotionally have an impact on you but maybe a more current issue would affect you in some way. Or maybe not. But the point is people should be able to drop a player in certain situations, such as this.

Users who are viewing this thread