What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

League Scoring Rules (1 Viewer)

Wild Young Billy

A Crazy Cat
As our league looks to next year we want to see how a 'normal' league does its scoring. We have complaints that Receivers are overvalued. I just think that our owners have subscribed to the RB-RB-RB draft theory for 20 years and don't want to change, but I digress.

Here is our scoring. Is it fairly normal?

Pass TD - 4 pts

Rush/Rec TD - 6 pts

RBs

Rush yards - 1 per 10

Rec yards - .05 per 10

WR

Receptions - 1 pt per rec.

Rush Yards - 1 per 10

Rec yards 1 per 10

If you could post your scoring for my research, I would appreciate it.

Passing TD - 3.4 points

Rushing TD - 5.9 points

Receiving TD - 3.8 points

Passing Yards - 0.8 pts per 7 yards

Rushing Yards - 1.7 pts per 12 yards

Receiving Yards - 2.1 pts per 18 yards

Reception - 0.4 pts per catch

As our league looks to next year we want to see how a 'normal' league does its scoring. We have complaints that Receivers are overvalued. I just think that our owners have subscribed to the RB-RB-RB draft theory for 20 years and don't want to change, but I digress.Here is our scoring. Is it fairly normal?Pass TD - 4 ptsRush/Rec TD - 6 ptsRBsRush yards - 1 per 10Rec yards - .05 per 10WRReceptions - 1 pt per rec. Rush Yards - 1 per 10Rec yards 1 per 10If you could post your scoring for my research, I would appreciate it.
I would say the complaints are coming mainly because receivers have taken on a larger part of the offense and the phasing out of the 3 down RB.We are considering changing our system that was from way back in the 90's. It includes bonus points for TDs based on distance. The original one form 1992 had TDs in the 1-9 range at 6 for everyone, 10-39 was 9pts, 40+ was 12 points. Before we made slight modificatiosn, it also required RBs & WRs to get 100 yards before they got any points. FF scoring systems have changed a lot since then, including ours.

Passing TD - 3.4 pointsRushing TD - 5.9 pointsReceiving TD - 3.8 pointsPassing Yards - 0.8 pts per 7 yardsRushing Yards - 1.7 pts per 12 yardsReceiving Yards - 2.1 pts per 18 yardsReception - 0.4 pts per catch
:headexplode: The owners would revolt, if that is real.

As our league looks to next year we want to see how a 'normal' league does its scoring. We have complaints that Receivers are overvalued. I just think that our owners have subscribed to the RB-RB-RB draft theory for 20 years and don't want to change, but I digress.Here is our scoring. Is it fairly normal?Pass TD - 4 ptsRush/Rec TD - 6 ptsRBsRush yards - 1 per 10Rec yards - .05 per 10WRReceptions - 1 pt per rec. Rush Yards - 1 per 10Rec yards 1 per 10If you could post your scoring for my research, I would appreciate it.
You do over value WR since RB's only get .05 a point per 10 yards, why is it not 1 per 10 like the WR's. From what you're saying a 20 yard run by Desean Jackson is 2 points yet a 20 yard catch by Lesean Mccoy is .1 point. Doesn't add up.

Last edited by a moderator:
.05 per 10 yards for RB catches vs 1pt per 10 yards for WR catches?

If that's not a misprint, it's part of your problem.

Here's ours:

TD = 6pts

Pass Yard = .03

Pass 1st = .3

Rush Yard = .08571

Rush 1st = .8571

Rec Yard = .12

Rec 1st = 1.2

Punt Ret = .08571

Kick Ret = .075

You do over value WR since RB's only get .05 a point per 10 yards, why is it not 1 per 10 like the WR's. From what you're saying a 20 yard run by Desean Jackson is 2 points yet a 20 yard catch by Lesean Mccoy is .1 point. Doesn't add up.
let me clarify, all positions get 1 pt per reception and RB are .5 pts per 10 yards. Sorry.

Don't forget that how many at each position you start has as much to do with how valuable a position does as the scoring system does. The more of a position you start, the more valuable the position.

Don't forget that how many at each position you start has as much to do with how valuable a position does as the scoring system does. The more of a position you start, the more valuable the position.
We start:1 QB2 RB2 WR1 TE1 Flex (RB, WR, or TE)

I think that combination probably makes WRs more valuable than most leagues, yes.You underscore RB receiving yards compared to most common scoring for them. And 1 pt receptions for WR but nothing for RB would further that.A flex in a 2 RB, 3 WR league normally bumps up RB value since the 12 highest scoring players after RB25 and WR36 (the last normal starters) are mostly RBs. In a 2 RB, 2 WR league, it favors RB less, and with your scoring system favoring WR it would favor RB even less beyond that. How far exactly you'd need to just check it with your actual scoring. To do that, dump the top 24 RB and WR into excel (I'm assuming 12 team league, 2 starters * 12 teams = 24... if not 12 teams, adjust accordingly) along with their average points per game. Then add in to each position the remaining players who would be the flex starters - the 12 total players at either position who score the most after the top 24. So you might end up with 30 of each, or you could have 27 RB and 33 WR, or vice versa.Once you have that, take the lowest scoring player at each position and subtract his average points from each player at his position. The number that results is his approximate value as a starter, normalized so you can directly compared across the positions. Those steps I walked you through are basically the last starter VBD value.So if RB1's VBD value is higher than WR1's VBD value, the top RB is more valuable. You'll want to compare all the way down the positional list, as they likely won't stay consistent. It might be that the top RBs are still more valuable, but then as you go down the list, the same ranked WR starts becoming more valuable. Your league will just need to look at the results and see if overall they are happy with them.Also, this obviously changes from year to year as the crop of players changes, so you may wish to do the same thing with the last 2 years of results to get a better feel for how it may vary from year to year. When I designed my own league, which is very non-standard in both scoring and setup, I did this to test each setup until I found a mix that did what I wanted... making the top players at each position close enough in value that every position's top player would be a legitimate first round pick, and RB wouldn't rule the roost.

Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX

Passing tds-4

Rushing/recieving tds-6

Passing yards- 1 per 25 yards

Rushing/receiving- 1 per 10 yards

1 point per reception

3 point bonus @ 100 yards rushing/receiving

3 point bonus @300 yards passing

Pretty standard, the yardage bonuses and PPR evens it out so its not so TD dependent. Devalues QB's a bit since you start 6 RB/WR and just 1 QB, but someone like Brees who reaches 300 yards pretty much every week still are among the highest scorers in the league.

I think that combination probably makes WRs more valuable than most leagues, yes.You underscore RB receiving yards compared to most common scoring for them. And 1 pt receptions for WR but nothing for RB would further that.A flex in a 2 RB, 3 WR league normally bumps up RB value since the 12 highest scoring players after RB25 and WR36 (the last normal starters) are mostly RBs. In a 2 RB, 2 WR league, it favors RB less, and with your scoring system favoring WR it would favor RB even less beyond that. How far exactly you'd need to just check it with your actual scoring. To do that, dump the top 24 RB and WR into excel (I'm assuming 12 team league, 2 starters * 12 teams = 24... if not 12 teams, adjust accordingly) along with their average points per game. Then add in to each position the remaining players who would be the flex starters - the 12 total players at either position who score the most after the top 24. So you might end up with 30 of each, or you could have 27 RB and 33 WR, or vice versa.Once you have that, take the lowest scoring player at each position and subtract his average points from each player at his position. The number that results is his approximate value as a starter, normalized so you can directly compared across the positions. Those steps I walked you through are basically the last starter VBD value.So if RB1's VBD value is higher than WR1's VBD value, the top RB is more valuable. You'll want to compare all the way down the positional list, as they likely won't stay consistent. It might be that the top RBs are still more valuable, but then as you go down the list, the same ranked WR starts becoming more valuable. Your league will just need to look at the results and see if overall they are happy with them.Also, this obviously changes from year to year as the crop of players changes, so you may wish to do the same thing with the last 2 years of results to get a better feel for how it may vary from year to year. When I designed my own league, which is very non-standard in both scoring and setup, I did this to test each setup until I found a mix that did what I wanted... making the top players at each position close enough in value that every position's top player would be a legitimate first round pick, and RB wouldn't rule the roost.
Great stuff. Thanks!

I personally think that with the NFL becoming a pass first league .5 ppr makes things more balanced. I also prefer to lump recieving and rushing yards together into one 10 for 1 point category.

Just to throw my scoring out there for the league I think is the most fun to play in:

.1 pts for each 1 rushing yard

.14 pts for each 1 receiving yard (WR)

.2 pts for each receiving yard (TE)

5 pts for each passing TD

6 pts for each rushing TD

7 pts for each receiving TD (WR)

8 pts for each receiving TD (TE)

1 pt per reception

2 pts for each 5 carries

2 pts for each 5 completions

This produces high scoring games where each position can effectively score the same amount of points. Right now the QBs have the highest point totals on average, but TE is highly valued as well.

Starting rosters:

1 QB

1 RB

2 WR

2 Flex (RB, WR, TE)

1 TE

1 K

1 DST

Most of the people in this league (14 teams) say it is their favorite league to play in (anecdotal, but at least people don't think the system is really out of whack).

My long running big money league has a similar devaluation of RB scoring.

1pt for every 25 yrds (rushing/receiving)

1pt for every 50 yrds passing 5pt per TD pass

WR/TE get full PPR

RB's get 1 point per every 2 rec no decimal scoring so odd numbers screw you(3 receptions is only 1 point etc)

I've fought and fought to get this changed to full PPR for RB's, explaining that its not going to increase the overall scoring all that much but it will help get RB's a little more even with WR's. But enough owners don't want the scoring any higher to shoot it down every year. At this point I think its hillarious as this is where they have chosen to draw the line on as one longtime owner called it all this "unrealistic" scoring. This league started off as TD only and progress in the evolution of our scoring system has been slow, painfull and just plain funny IMO.

With all the RBBC's, how pass happy the league is and our line up (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, K, D) its weird but I've actually started to really like this set up. Only 2 RB's were taken in the first round this year and neither of those teams even made the playoffs. This opens up a lot of different strategies and it makes the draft a lot more organic when everyone isn't trying to hoard one postition the frist 2-3 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread