What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Penn State Football (1 Viewer)

Seems to happen just about every year, with the main difference this time being that Helton is actually gone and there is actually an opening.

When he was hired, I remember Franklin saying something like “I’m a Pennsylvania boy with a Penn State heart”.  Guess we will see.  His goal is to win a national championship and if he thinks USC is an easier path to doing so I could see him leaving.  He has already been @ PSU longer than any other stop in his career I think.

I don’t think he jumps yet, but I also doubt he will be here all that much longer whether he leaves for another college job or jumps back to the pros.  If/when he does leave, I appreciate what he has done to help “Restore the Roar”.
I could see him taking a pro job, but I have a hard time seeing another college job as a better job. 

It’s the first time I ever saw international grounding called when a receiver ran the wrong route. :loco:  
...then the one they completely missed going the other way where there actually was no receiver in the area, and the QB wasn't outside the tackle box.

Over the last few days, I have been listening to national sports talk radio to see if there would be any scrutiny over the egregious SEC Officials calls and there has been nothing but crickets.  The sports media is more concerned about the Purdue Drum not being allowed in at Norte Dame.  One sports talk host said officials, like players, are still working through things this early in the season.  Not sure why we can stand by and let this happen. We all saw it…but yet again, nothing gets done.  

Over the last few days, I have been listening to national sports talk radio to see if there would be any scrutiny over the egregious SEC Officials calls and there has been nothing but crickets.  The sports media is more concerned about the Purdue Drum not being allowed in at Norte Dame.  One sports talk host said officials, like players, are still working through things this early in the season.  Not sure why we can stand by and let this happen. We all saw it…but yet again, nothing gets done.  
It would only matter if an ESPNSEC team got screwed.

Eh, at least none of that cost us the game. 

Clearly Franklin had it on his mind when the final seconds ticked off.  You can quite clearly read his lips on the live broadcast shot.  "Those Mother #######."  My guess is the "those" in question are the refs.

Didn't chime in here. Great win for PSU but again, Franklin's dumbassery almost cost us. When we went up 27-20 and could have gone for 2, he went for 1. He always does that. 

Tom Servo said:
gcoast3 said:
It would only matter if an ESPNSEC team got screwed.

Not exactly super mainstream, but it was addressed extensively on the VSiN streaming/radio network (focused on sports gambling).  They tend to point out egregious officiating more than normal since it impacts wagering in a major way.  And yes, the eye-rolling at the egregious homerism of the SEC refs was significant.

Defense was absolutely dominant today. Offense played a good ball control game but still feels a bit inefficient. Getting stuffed on 4 straight runs from the 5 doesn't bode well. 

Next week is a really the season. Win and we are on the track towards the playoff. Lose and Iowa gets that. Huge game. 

Defense was absolutely dominant today. Offense played a good ball control game but still feels a bit inefficient. Getting stuffed on 4 straight runs from the 5 doesn't bode well. 

Next week is a really the season. Win and we are on the track towards the playoff. Lose and Iowa gets that. Huge game. 
:hifive:  You and I saw the game the same way.  

Right now, CFP talk is a little early for me.  I want the B1G title first.  

:hifive:  You and I saw the game the same way.  

Right now, CFP talk is a little early for me.  I want the B1G title first.  
I remember a “We Want ‘Bama” chant starting in the student section of Beaver Stadium back in 2017.   Right before we lost back-to-back games to tOSU & Michigan State.

Iowa has spoiled many seasons for us, including 2008 & 2009.  Kinnick is always a tough place to play.  Will be happy to get out of there with a win Saturday.  Then use the bye week to prepare for a tough closing stretch with 3 more teams currently ranked in the top 11.

If we somehow make it to the B1G championship game this year, we certainly will have earned it.

Going to miss the Iowa game because some neighbors with girls at Auburn are taking us down to the Auburn - Georgia game. Can't really complain too much but was hoping for the night game in Auburn. I'll be checking my phone a lot and hopefully cheering at some inappropriate times in the game I am attending.  :)

ConstruxBoy said:
Going to miss the Iowa game because some neighbors with girls at Auburn are taking us down to the Auburn - Georgia game. Can't really complain too much but was hoping for the night game in Auburn. I'll be checking my phone a lot and hopefully cheering at some inappropriate times in the game I am attending.  :)
Let's face it - college football in the south is a whole different animal.  I'd love to attend a couple of SEC games someday.

Let's face it - college football in the south is a whole different animal.  I'd love to attend a couple of SEC games someday.
Oh yeah. Lots of sites on my CFB bucket list. Did Bama back in 2010 when PSU played there. It was awesome. Excited to see Auburn, although I'm hoping to go next season for the PSU game as well. 

Still on the list:

LSU at night

Ole Miss

Florida

Georgia

Clemson

Agree Penn St wins by double digits if Clifford plays.  Too bad Levis transferred to UK. Maybe had a better chance.  Penn State Defense deserves a lot of credit. They are really good.  Best in a long time…maybe best ever!

So frustrated with Franklin for the complete mismanagement of the QB room for years to the point that we end up with a backup that cannot throw a forward pass.  After tonight, I have a whole new appreciation for Clifford.

Roberson honestly should have played himself right off the team with that performance.  Just run a Wildcat with a guy who can actually run instead of playing a "QB" who they say can run but actually runs just slightly better than he throws...I give the defense credit for keeping us in it as long as they did honestly.

That was…not good.

Poor gameplay and poorer adjustments by both coordinators.  When you get outcoached by Bret Bielema it is time to take a hard look at the man in the mirror.

That was…not good.

Poor gameplay and poorer adjustments by both coordinators.  When you get outcoached by Bret Bielema it is time to take a hard look at the man in the mirror.
1. How does it effect the players and recruits when they constantly hear their coaches name mentioned to be the best candidate for the LSU or USC?

2.  Why are injuries always a secret?  Hasn’t and doesn’t work.

3.  Coaches should have known teams are going to attack with the run now that Mustipher is out.

4.  Running game is awful.  

Franklin needs to announce publicly he is staying for the long term or not.  Too many head games for these kids to handle. 

Was at the game today with the kids. Fun atmosphere and we had a good time. The game however was miserable. Refs were awful. Defense made no adjustments. You would think after the 40th running attempt, you would put 9 in the box and not even worry about the pass. But I guess not. 

Was at the game today with the kids. Fun atmosphere and we had a good time. The game however was miserable. Refs were awful. Defense made no adjustments. You would think after the 40th running attempt, you would put 9 in the box and not even worry about the pass. But I guess not. 
Did you tell them that was how football was played back when you were a kid back when they had leather helmets and before they invented the forward pass?

Did you tell them that was how football was played back when you were a kid back when they had leather helmets and before they invented the forward pass?
No but I did tell them it was back when OT rules made sense and didn't suck. 

It’s probably going to take a long time for the stink of yesterday’s performance to wear off.

We are suddenly back to losing to teams we should (easily) beat which was a hallmark of the early Franklin years.

Rumor is that he has spent most of the past couple of weeks trying to leverage more concessions out of the AD…hopefully the AD will hold the line on a raise for Franklin himself based on what we’ve seen since the start of the 2020 season.  If he wants more money, tie it to bonuses for B1G & CFP appearances and victories.  Make him earn it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any hard evidence to back this up but... the more and more I think about it... I think Franklin is leaving.

I asked a friend of mine if he thought maybe Franklin was checking out other job openings during the 2 weeks off and it took him away from focusing on Illinois.  My friend proposed a scenario where he wondered if the players found out Franklin was looking around at the other jobs, potentially met and interviewed, and that's why the were so unprepared, distracted, opposite of fired up, disengaged.  They were so incredibly flat it was crazy.  It was, as I've seen in some headlines, baffling.  But I feel like this is one scenario that could explain the overall lack of focus.

Then I listened to a presser where Franklin was asked "Do you get tired of hearing your name mentioned when all of these coaching vacancies come up?".  If you listen to Franklin's answer to that question, it just sounds like he is gone.  He didn't even deny anything about it.  He just kept talking about handling things right and the golden rule of treating others the way you want to be treated.  But he never denied in any way he was leaving.  It sounds like he was saying, yes I am leaving and I want to make sure I handle it right.

The more I thought about it, I feel like this is perfect timing for him to leave (for him personally).  He has 2 major programs very interested in him which could create a bidding war and he has a top (maybe top 3 or 5) recruiting class going into 2022 that he could sell flipping them if he leaves.  USC or LSU could pay him, most likely, more than double what he could make at PSU.  I just think this is it for him and I feel like the Illiniois loss was related to these distractions.  And I think, like many of you on this board, would not be sad in any way to see him go.

I just know that I have always been a Franklin supporter.  I've always thought that what he lacks in game management he makes up for with recruiting and culture.  But after watching that Illinois game, for the first time ever, the thought crossed my mind that maybe it would be best for him to move on.  That game was just... I don't even have words really???

Users who are viewing this thread