What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Libertarian loser can't get back into US (1 Viewer)

Lutherman2112

Footballguy
'Bitcoin Jesus' Renounced His American Citizenship — So Now The US Isn't Letting Him In

Roger Ver, a high-profile member of the Bitcoin community who is commonly known as "Bitcoin Jesus," has been denied a US visa — despite having been born in the country.

Ver is well known in the Bitcoin community as an entrepreneur and angel investor, having funded products including Blockchain, Ripple, and Blockpay. He became known as "Bitcoin Jesus" after giving thousands of coins of the virtual currency away for free. Ver was born in the US, making him a citizen there, but he renounced his citizenship in March — and now he says the government isn't letting him back in.

As Coindesk is reporting, Ver posted on Twitter that the US government had refused his recent request for a non-immigrant visa, leaving him "effectively locked out of his native USA."

Ver complains that the decision has forced him to miss speaking appointments at conferences and that the US embassy in Barbados refused to even consider the evidence for his application.

The official reasoning behind Ver's rejection is that he doesn't have sufficient "ties" to his country of residency in the Caribbean and has not demonstrated he has "the ties that will compel [him] to return to your home country after your travel to the United States," according to a picture he tweeted of a letter that appears to be from the embassy.

In short, US officials are worried that Ver might choose to stay in his native country illegally.
Ver can't appeal the decision, but he is able to apply all over again, according to Coindesk. He has an American criminal record that could count against him, however — he has previously been jailed for 10 months for selling illegal firecrackers to farmers.

The fiercely libertarian entrepreneur has also appealed for others to follow his lead on citizenship, in June launching a website that helps wealthy people pay their way to citizenship on his new island home of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis in the West Indies.

He surrendered his American citizenship a month after moving to the islands, in February 2014.
So a guy goes Gault, and now wants the benefits of a society that he renounced...just like Ayn Rand taking SS and Medicare in her old age.

Hilarious.

'Bitcoin Jesus' Renounced His American Citizenship — So Now The US Isn't Letting Him In

Roger Ver, a high-profile member of the Bitcoin community who is commonly known as "Bitcoin Jesus," has been denied a US visa — despite having been born in the country.

Ver is well known in the Bitcoin community as an entrepreneur and angel investor, having funded products including Blockchain, Ripple, and Blockpay. He became known as "Bitcoin Jesus" after giving thousands of coins of the virtual currency away for free. Ver was born in the US, making him a citizen there, but he renounced his citizenship in March — and now he says the government isn't letting him back in.

As Coindesk is reporting, Ver posted on Twitter that the US government had refused his recent request for a non-immigrant visa, leaving him "effectively locked out of his native USA."

Ver complains that the decision has forced him to miss speaking appointments at conferences and that the US embassy in Barbados refused to even consider the evidence for his application.

The official reasoning behind Ver's rejection is that he doesn't have sufficient "ties" to his country of residency in the Caribbean and has not demonstrated he has "the ties that will compel [him] to return to your home country after your travel to the United States," according to a picture he tweeted of a letter that appears to be from the embassy.

In short, US officials are worried that Ver might choose to stay in his native country illegally.

Ver can't appeal the decision, but he is able to apply all over again, according to Coindesk. He has an American criminal record that could count against him, however — he has previously been jailed for 10 months for selling illegal firecrackers to farmers.

The fiercely libertarian entrepreneur has also appealed for others to follow his lead on citizenship, in June launching a website that helps wealthy people pay their way to citizenship on his new island home of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis in the West Indies.

He surrendered his American citizenship a month after moving to the islands, in February 2014.

So a guy goes Gault, and now wants the benefits of a society that he renounced...jutst like Ayn Rand taking SS and Medicare in her old age.

Hilarious.
The Rand analogy is poor. She was forced to pay into SS and Medicare. Taking the benefits from a system that you had no choice to participate in doesn't make you a hypocrite. But carry on with your poor logic.

I have very little sympathy for this guy. Any US immigration attorney will warn you of the dangers of renouncing your citizenship, which usually in my experience (I am NOT an attorney and this is not legal advice) includes a caveat that the US government could potentially bar you from re-entering the country once you renounce.

He then served 10 months in federal prison for selling firecrackers used by farmers to scare deer and birds away from their cornfields.
I then became the only person in the entire nation to be prosecuted for selling this firecracker that farmers use to scare birds from cornfields. I wound up doing 10 months in federal prison and did three years of federal probation.
I'm all for the lil' does and sweet sparrows but, uh... isn't that a bit extreme?

Last edited by a moderator:
Step 1: Buy plane ticket and fly to Mexico.

Step 2: Assemble travel gear.

Step 3: Get in tight with a group of coyotajes.

Step 4: Jump the border.

Problem solved.

He then served 10 months in federal prison for selling firecrackers used by farmers to scare deer and birds away from their cornfields.
I then became the only person in the entire nation to be prosecuted for selling this firecracker that farmers use to scare birds from cornfields. I wound up doing 10 months in federal prison and did three years of federal probation.
I'm all for the lil' does and sweet sparrows but, uh... isn't that a bit extreme?
He's clearly a terrorist.

It's stunning how many people here hate freedom and love the state.

He's being punished for being prominent in the Bitcoin community, not for renouncing his citizenship.

If there's one thing the state hates, it's anyone who dares to defy one of its monopolies.

That includes the Fed and the banksters.

Now, actions have consequences, so I'm sure he knew -- or should have expected -- that the state would punish him and bar him from re-entering the country.

Does that make him a "libertarian loser"? Nah, just another victim of the reward-your-friends-and-punish-your-enemies gang of thieves writ large known as the state.

Problem solved.
you forgot the part where he brings in the terror baby and backpack of Ebola.

Seriously this is what happens when you start to believe your own bull#### a little too much and overstep your bounds.

He's being punished for being prominent in the Bitcoin community, not for renouncing his citizenship.

If there's one thing the state hates, it's anyone who dares to defy one of its monopolies.

Now, actions have consequences, so I'm sure he knew -- or should have expected -- that the state would punish him and bar him from re-entering the country.

Does that make him a "libertarian loser"? Nah, just another victim of the reward-your-friends-and-punish-your-enemies gang of thieves writ large known as the state.
Terrible shtick

Unsubscribe

The US government doesn't take too kindly to people who renounce their citizenship purely out of tax avoidance. Senator Chuck Schumer introduced the Ex-PATRIOT Act (which was not passed) in the wake of Eduardo Saverin's tax-motivated renunciation.

Given that this "Bitcoin Jesus" guy has started a website trying to get people to renounce and become citizens of St. Kitts for tax avoidance, I can't imagine the US government is too pleased with him.

Call me crazy, but I don't think this has all that much to do with Bitcoin itself. It has to do with a guy giving up his citizenship to avoid taxes who actively tries to get people to do the same. He wants to come back into the US and earn money? #### that. Why should the US let him back in? Renunciation can certainly result in tax avoidance, but it comes with a whole host of other consequences, not the least of which being that your ability to travel to and to work in the United States becomes severely limited. He gambled and looks to have lost. I'm sorry, I'm a pretty libertarian guy in most respects, but it is what it is. It's not a libertarian world sometimes. I'm sure he's not hurting for money and he'll be fine.

So a guy goes Gault, and now wants the benefits of a society that he renounced...just like Ayn Rand taking SS and Medicare in her old age.

Hilarious.
Did Willie run a fly pattern again? Where's Ditka?

Um, yeah no.

Problem solved.
you forgot the part where he brings in the terror baby and backpack of Ebola.
Nah. The other 1-2 million people freely crossing each year will take care of that.

Seriously this is what happens when you start to believe your own bull#### a little too much and overstep your bounds.
Reading the interview with him he seems like a genuine dck, which is probably his biggest problem.
Yes, the fact that he is a #### is much more a factor here than is his Libertarianism. 99.99999999% of Libertarians aren't renouncing their citizenship, they are trying to reform the country through persuasion and the ballot box ( doing a *&%$-poor job of it!).

:fishing:

Maybe he should have thought twice before renouncing his citizenship. Whoops.
I am not sure I understand the logic here.

If you renounce your citizenship, you can never come back...even though we allow people who aren't citizens to come here everyday, legally and illegally?

Why should the US let him back in?
Because it lets every other Tom, **** and Harry in as well?

Why should the US let him back in?
Because it lets every other Tom, **** and Harry Tomas, Ricardo y Enrique in as well?
Fixed

Reading the interview with him he seems like a genuine dck, which is probably his biggest problem.
Yes, the fact that he is a #### is much more a factor here than is his Libertarianism. 99.99999999% of Libertarians aren't renouncing their citizenship, they are trying to reform the country through persuasion and the ballot box ( doing a *&%$-poor job of it!).
I ran as a Libertarian candidate for a couple of local elections when the Libertarian Party was recognized in WV. (NOTE: I hate ballot access laws, as they differ from state to state and make it nearly impossible for anyone but Democrats and Republicans to gain access to the ballot). I worked for a senate candidate and covered an area that included 4 different counties.

After the election, the candidate held a conference call and thanked all the volunteers. When one volunteer asked if we needed to go out and remove campaign signs, the candidate said, "#### it, let the state road crew clean them up." I set out the following weekend and removed all the signs I had placed...I considered it my responsibility. I didn't care for the cavalier attitude of the candidate.

I was in my early 20s and have since realized the the national LP was nothing more than a cottage industry. BUY OUR BOOKS! BUY THE WORLD'S SMALLEST QUIZ AND GIVE IT TO FRIENDS! It took 2 years to get completely removed from the LP mailing list. Now I am in my 40s and I'm a GDI. While I lean left and totally despise the hypocritical Republicans (small government except for the things we love!), I still support independent candidates like the Mountain Party. I will vote 3rd party governor candidate in WV over a D or R...a third party in WV gains access to ballot when a candidate receives 1% of gubernatorial vote after petition access.

This dude mentioned in my OP really isn't a libertarian...he's just a ########.

So a guy goes Gault, and now wants the benefits of a society that he renounced...jutst like Ayn Rand taking SS and Medicare in her old age.

Hilarious.
The Rand analogy is poor. She was forced to pay into SS and Medicare. Taking the benefits from a system that you had no choice to participate in doesn't make you a hypocrite. But carry on with your poor logic.
She could have stuck to her principles, but she didn't now did she? She lived her entire life railing against government benefits, and then she just shuts up and signs the checks. That makes her a hypocrite and a whore.

Hilarious.
She could have stuck to her principles, but she didn't now did she? She lived her entire life railing against government benefits, and then she just shuts up and signs the checks. That makes her a hypocrite and a whore.
Nice hyperbole. But let's let Rand speak for herself on the subject:

"The victims do not have to add self-inflicted martyrdom to the injury done to them by others; they do not have to let the looters profit doubly, by letting them distribute the money exclusively to the parasites who clamored for it. Whenever the welfare-state laws offer them some small restitution, the victims should take it. [...] The same moral principles and considerations apply to the issue of accepting social security, unemployment insurance or other payments of that kind."

Hilarious.
Nice hyperbole. But let's let Rand speak for herself on the subject:

"The victims do not have to add self-inflicted martyrdom to the injury done to them by others; they do not have to let the looters profit doubly, by letting them distribute the money exclusively to the parasites who clamored for it. Whenever the welfare-state laws offer them some small restitution, the victims should take it. [...] The same moral principles and considerations apply to the issue of accepting social security, unemployment insurance or other payments of that kind."
People are obsessed with Rand, attacking her and defending her.

But yeah, SS & MC are our money, right, that's allegedly a "trust" account we pay into taken straight from our paycheck, supposedly that money is being held in our name, like a bank account?

Apparently the guy is rich, but not that rich. Was counting on making his fortune helping others avoid taxes with his website, which didn't pan out. Poor *******.

Users who are viewing this thread