What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for a family car under $30k (1 Viewer)

Look for a Honda Pilot that's a couple of years old and buy it used.

I'm at 10 years and 130k miles on mine and it's awesome. Easy to drive, huge inside, reliable, can carry a lot, inexpensive to own, etc.

My former law partner who has two kids just bought a new one and raves about his.
Same here. I bought a 2007 in 2010 and have been driving it since. Roomy, decent pickup too. It has 3rd row seating if you ever need it, also. comes in handy when we're driving another family or bunch of my daughter's friends somewhere.

i have not driven the new cherokee, but my car before the Pilot was the Cherokee. also a great car that i drove into the ground.

I've always leased. Just the way I prefer to do it. It's cheaper
Is it?
Hard to imagine it being cheaper to lease, absent a tax break he's able to take advantage of.
It all depends on how you look at it. Wasn't really trying to have a "which is better" discussion here, but by cheaper, I meant that the monthly payments are lower and I don't have to put any money down. On the upside, I have a new car every three years that is always under warranty.

My buddy has 3 kids and he bought an '08 Acura TL that he loves.

I have an older TL ('04) that isn't as big but it's also a great car.
I bought a '13 Acura TL back in September it's without a doubt the best car I've ever owned.
It's true. I'm not one to usually try and push products on other people, but the Acura TL's I had were the greatest cars I ever had. They had everything I wanted and were very fun to drive. I recommend it to anyone who asks.

Is it?
Hard to imagine it being cheaper to lease, absent a tax break he's able to take advantage of.
I mean, when you factor in length of ownership/maintenance/other costs later down the road (liability vs full coverage)... You could argue either side forever.
What's the advantage of buying if it's not cheaper in the long run?

I'm at 10 years and 130k miles on mine and it's awesome. Easy to drive, huge inside, reliable, can carry a lot, inexpensive to own, etc.

My former law partner who has two kids just bought a new one and raves about his.
Again. A new car that I'll end up leasing. I'm not interested in buying a used car. I like new things.
You can find 1-2 year old cars that are like new and a hell of a lot better value. I'm not sure I'll ever buy new again unless I win the lottery. :shrug:

Again. A new car that I'll end up leasing. I'm not interested in buying a used car. I like new things.
You can find 1-2 year old cars that are like new and a hell of a lot better value. I'm not sure I'll ever buy new again unless I win the lottery. :shrug:
I'm sure. But I prefer the warranty and the feeling that I'm the only owner. I may not be filthy rich anymore, but my taste hasn't changed.

Is it?
I mean, when you factor in length of ownership/maintenance/other costs later down the road (liability vs full coverage)... You could argue either side forever.
It won't always be cheaper... A lot of people run into cars that breakdown and cause a lot of problems...

Personally I like leasing better so I'm not the right guy to debate this one.

VW Passat. We picked one up two weeks ago and love it. The "new" body style (2012 and newer) looks really nice and the thing drives really smooth. The rear seating area is huge - much bigger than the 2012 Altima for example - and the trunk is cavernous. I'm more of a XXL kinda guy and fit comfortably in the driver's seat.

We went with the mid-level SE model, and it came standard with alloy wheels, Bluetooth connectivity (iPhone syncs directly to entertainment console), heated front seats, and a whole bunch of other bells and whistles. MSRP was around $24k, and got a good deal on a used 2013 model. The higher end SEL model will come in right around $30k if you want wood trim, Navigation system, etc.

This car rides like you might think: a little heavy but feels solid. Turning radius is better than I would have guessed and it does move pretty well when you hammer the pedal. Road noise is decently muffled at freeway speeds. My only two knocks would be a lack of adjustments for the front passenger seat (it's not power) and vision out the rear window is somewhat mitigated by the rear seat headrests (they're not adjustable or removable).

Might be worth at least a test drive and VW does have a Sign and Drive offer for the Passat which is zero down and zero % on leased vehicles IIRC.
This.

Just got one of these recently and very happy with it. My wife recently had a BMW 5 series and this car is very similar in many aspects. Very large, comfortable interior, great trunk space, drives smoothly at only half the cost and, with the diesel engine, gets from 30-40 mpg.

Highly recommend trying one out.

Is it?
It won't always be cheaper... A lot of people run into cars that breakdown and cause a lot of problems...

I think everyone likes leasing better. Who wouldn't want a new car every 3 years, along with the confidence of always driving a new car and the reliability that comes with that.

The idea that you get all that AND it's cheaper seems silly.

VW Passat. We picked one up two weeks ago and love it. The "new" body style (2012 and newer) looks really nice and the thing drives really smooth. The rear seating area is huge - much bigger than the 2012 Altima for example - and the trunk is cavernous. I'm more of a XXL kinda guy and fit comfortably in the driver's seat.

We went with the mid-level SE model, and it came standard with alloy wheels, Bluetooth connectivity (iPhone syncs directly to entertainment console), heated front seats, and a whole bunch of other bells and whistles. MSRP was around $24k, and got a good deal on a used 2013 model. The higher end SEL model will come in right around $30k if you want wood trim, Navigation system, etc.

This car rides like you might think: a little heavy but feels solid. Turning radius is better than I would have guessed and it does move pretty well when you hammer the pedal. Road noise is decently muffled at freeway speeds. My only two knocks would be a lack of adjustments for the front passenger seat (it's not power) and vision out the rear window is somewhat mitigated by the rear seat headrests (they're not adjustable or removable).

Might be worth at least a test drive and VW does have a Sign and Drive offer for the Passat which is zero down and zero % on leased vehicles IIRC.
This.

Just got one of these recently and very happy with it. My wife recently had a BMW 5 series and this car is very similar in many aspects. Very large, comfortable interior, great trunk space, drives smoothly at only half the cost and, with the diesel engine, gets from 30-40 mpg.

Highly recommend trying one out.
Good to see two new Passat owners falling in love with the body styling the way I did way back when. I will never get another Passat again. The build quality sucks. VW customer service sucks.

It's the only car I've ever owned that ended up with a puddle on the floorboards during a rainstorm with all of the doors and windows closed and with the water level outside the car never amounting to more than ordinary run-off.

Why is everyone trying to change his mind away from leasing a new car? He has his price range and a comfort level. Why not just answer the question posed rather than coming up with a new question.

BTW - I am not sure that a Ford is a good car for this. American cars are still not as good for the price IMO

tommyGunZ said:
fantasycurse42 said:
tommyGunZ said:
fantasycurse42 said:
tommyGunZ said:
Ignoratio Elenchi said:
TheIronSheik said:
Is it?

I think everyone likes leasing better. Who wouldn't want a new car every 3 years, along with the confidence of always driving a new car and the reliability that comes with that.

The idea that you get all that AND it's cheaper seems silly.
Leasing is only worth it (financially) if you're an independent contractor who can write off the lease payments.

If you're looking to lease, why do you care about the MSRP anyways? One $30k car could lease for X and another for Y. It really depends on the value of the car when it comes back, some hold and others fall quick.

You need to state the payment you're looking to be around to really find your sweet spot.

If you don't care about gadgets, get an entry model Kia Optima. You can get one for $20k, they're roomy, get good mileage (23/34) and the standard features on a base Kia are better than most other brands. bluetooth, cruise, steering wheel audio and phone controls, USB/Aux input, power windows and locks, keyless entry, ABS are all included on even the "stripped models".

Kia made #### cars for a long time but they've really turned it around in the last 5 years.

If you're looking to lease, why do you care about the MSRP anyways? One $30k car could lease for X and another for Y. It really depends on the value of the car when it comes back, some hold and others fall quick.

You need to state the payment you're looking to be around to really find your sweet spot.
While I think that you want to focus on the difference between sales price and residual vale, I think the rest of this is crap.

No one pays MSRP, so focus on what you can get for a sales price.

DO NOT focus on the payment amount. That is a trick for salesmen. You need to understand what you are paying for and how it translates to a monthly payment BEFORE you walk in the door.

While I think that you want to focus on the difference between sales price and residual vale, I think the rest of this is crap.

No one pays MSRP, so focus on what you can get for a sales price.

DO NOT focus on the payment amount. That is a trick for salesmen. You need to understand what you are paying for and how it translates to a monthly payment BEFORE you walk in the door.
We are talking about a lease... So I'm just saying why would Sheik care about the price of the car? What's important in this situation is monthly payments if it is a lease.

While I think that you want to focus on the difference between sales price and residual vale, I think the rest of this is crap.No one pays MSRP, so focus on what you can get for a sales price.

We are talking about a lease... So I'm just saying why would Sheik care about the price of the car? What's important in this situation is monthly payments if it is a lease.
Wrong. The price of the car matters the same whether buying or leasing. You negotiate the price of the car, not the lease payments.

While I think that you want to focus on the difference between sales price and residual vale, I think the rest of this is crap.No one pays MSRP, so focus on what you can get for a sales price.

Wrong. The price of the car matters the same whether buying or leasing. You negotiate the price of the car, not the lease payments.
But a $30k Ford will lease for a different price then a $30k Honda...

But you negotiate both the selling price and residual value. Deal with them separately and get a better deal. If you focus on payment, then you might as well give them your wallet.

Just leased a brand new Escape with all the bells and whistles for $31k-ish... so pull off a couple of the bells or stretch a little bit and you get one hell of a vehicle.

But you negotiate both the selling price and residual value. Deal with them separately and get a better deal. If you focus on payment, then you might as well give them your wallet.
No you don't negotiate the residual value. The residual value is set on a table as a % of the MSRP and will vary by year of the car and/or how many miles you choose and/or the length of time you choose in the terms of your lease. It's actually to your benefit to have a higher MSRP for your lease agreement (drives up the residual).

However, you negotiate the purchase price of the car. You do this typically by knowing the invoice and working up (not working down from MSRP). That said, now with the internet, it's easy to see what others are paying for cars. Go to Truecar.com to see what your car is selling for in your area. My mother just leased a new car right before New Year's and actually got it for below invoice due to the promotions running at that time.

Usually, luxury cars are going to have higher residuals than lower price cars. You don't want to lease a vehicle that doesn't retain value well. There are pros and cons for buying and leasing. One isn't necessarily more expensive than the other as it completely depends on which car you're buying and how long you typically keep/use your vehicle.

If you want to truly understand leasing, read The Lease Guide. It's 15 pages long but is very well written and will help you calculate your lease payments. Once you get the concept down, it's very easy to negotiate a good lease. The only things you need to know are the MSRP, the purchase price of the car (this is what you negotiate), any fees associated (can sometimes get this lowered, but depends on the company), the residual based on the length and mileage of the terms of the lease, and the money factor or interest rate (this can be negotiated as well, although if they have a lease special, it's going to be hard to get it lower).

ETA--Thread here on leasing with some good info

Last edited by a moderator:

No you don't negotiate the residual value. The residual value is set on a table as a % of the MSRP and will vary by year of the car and/or how many miles you choose and/or the length of time you choose in the terms of your lease. It's actually to your benefit to have a higher MSRP for your lease agreement (drives up the residual).

However, you negotiate the purchase price of the car. You do this typically by knowing the invoice and working up (not working down from MSRP). That said, now with the internet, it's easy to see what others are paying for cars. Go to Truecar.com to see what your car is selling for in your area. My mother just leased a new car right before New Year's and actually got it for below invoice due to the promotions running at that time.

Usually, luxury cars are going to have higher residuals than lower price cars. You don't want to lease a vehicle that doesn't retain value well. There are pros and cons for buying and leasing. One isn't necessarily more expensive than the other as it completely depends on which car you're buying and how long you typically keep/use your vehicle.

If you want to truly understand leasing, read The Lease Guide. It's 15 pages long but is very well written and will help you calculate your lease payments. Once you get the concept down, it's very easy to negotiate a good lease. The only things you need to know are the MSRP, the purchase price of the car (this is what you negotiate), any fees associated (can sometimes get this lowered, but depends on the company), the residual based on the length and mileage of the terms of the lease, and the money factor or interest rate (this can be negotiated as well, although if they have a lease special, it's going to be hard to get it lower).
I negotiated my residual value when one dealer was offering 2% more than another for the same new car, although I suspect that may have been due to lease rate. Dealers will look for any opportunity to make money. Just look at all of the fees that they try to slip by at signing.

Last edited by a moderator:

I negotiated my residual value when one dealer was offering 2% more than another for the same new car, although I suspect that may have been due to lease rate. Dealers will look for any opportunity to make money. Just look at all of the fees that they try to slip by at signing.
That would be extremely rare from what I've learned about leasing as the residuals are set from the financial side, not the dealer, and is based on previous models and selling prices as an estimation. You can always ask, but I highly doubt it'll make a difference. Plus, I'd rather use my "bargaining" on the purchase price of the car and any trade-in value than adding more things to try and negotiate.

If you don't care about gadgets, get an entry model Kia Optima. You can get one for $20k, they're roomy, get good mileage (23/34) and the standard features on a base Kia are better than most other brands. bluetooth, cruise, steering wheel audio and phone controls, USB/Aux input, power windows and locks, keyless entry, ABS are all included on even the "stripped models".

Kia made #### cars for a long time but they've really turned it around in the last 5 years.
I have a 2012 Optima and it sounds like something you at least want to check out - as said above, it's roomy with a lot of features. It has a large trunk as well. It's a lot of car for the price. The one drawback for me - I'd prefer that the engine be a little peppier but it's not a dealbreaker.

Telling you, Fusion. Give it a shot.
This is actually my frontrunner right now. I really love the way it looks. Do you have one? How is it on the inside?
My wife drive a 13 Fusion and loves it! Lots of bells and whistles for the buck. Usually have great lease deals as well.
I bought a 2014 Fusion Hybrid in August. 8k miles and I couldn't be happier. I shopped all the sedans mentioned in this thread and went for gas mileage and style of the Fusion. I like that it's a Ford. I get a kick out of hyper-miling over 50mpg around town. 40mpg on the highway is more realistic than the EPA figure, but I've set the cruise on 90 and hurried to the hospital and was impressed with it at that speed too. Mine's white with tan leather. I'd do it again.

I have a 2012 Optima and it sounds like something you at least want to check out - as said above, it's roomy with a lot of features. It has a large trunk as well. It's a lot of car for the price. The one drawback for me - I'd prefer that the engine be a little peppier but it's not a dealbreaker.
You can go with the Optima SX and get the 275HP engine (mileage takes a small hit, down to 20/31) and still stay under $25k.

If you're looking for a sedan that's quick and fun to drive, I recommend the Altima V6. It has the same size engine as the Maxima, and is much more fun to drive than the Accord or the Camry.

This will be probably the 9th car I've leased. Thanks everyone for giving me advice on how to do it and why not to. <_<

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

Best interior in its class

The only negative is there are tons of these out there so you'll see yourself coming and going a lot.

I'm a fan.
I think we got ignored. I'd go for a Ford Edge (same as my MKX aside from options) any day of the week with a family over a Fusion, Accord, Passat or Altima. I have owned SUVs and mini-vans and I like the fuller sized SUV for my wife (3 boys) since we drive to most of our vacations (even Disney is only 8 hours). For me, no way I would go back to a car. The Costco runs, Lowe's runs, etc. where I need more room is so easy with a crossover and the hatchback, especially if you can't squoosh the kid going with you.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

The only negative is there are tons of these out there so you'll see yourself coming and going a lot.

I'm a fan.
I think we got ignored. I'd go for a Ford Edge (same as my MKX aside from options) any day of the week with a family over a Fusion, Accord, Passat or Altima. I have owned SUVs and mini-vans and I like the fuller sized SUV for my wife (3 boys) since we drive to most of our vacations (even Disney is only 8 hours). For me, no way I would go back to a car. The Costco runs, Lowe's runs, etc. where I need more room is so easy with a crossover and the hatchback, especially if you can't squoosh the kid going with you.
I am just not a fan of the Edge. And I'm sure this is due to me not really being an SUV fan. I'm sure it's a great vehicle, but SUV's just aren't my thing.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
I am just not a fan of the Edge. And I'm sure this is due to me not really being an SUV fan. I'm sure it's a great vehicle, but SUV's just aren't my thing.
Hardly an SUV...

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
If this isn't an SUV, I guess I'm not a fan of whatever they call this either.

And I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not for me.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Not to mention getting UP and out of a car. Don't get me wrong, I loved me a nice car back in the day. My last new car was an '85 Celica GTS 5 speed stick. But after tweaking my back, nothing beats stepping into and out of my '00 Isuzu Trooper or anything similar. My 81 year old Mom has a 2010 Toyota Camry and I have no clue how she gets in and out of that thing. That flat out sucks.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
If this isn't an SUV, I guess I'm not a fan of whatever they call this either.

And I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not for me.
It's on a car platform, not a truck platform. Same with the Honda Pilot for that matter.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
Agreed, to me it is like a RAV4/CR-V, just nicer and bigger. It is a lot different driving than an SUV. It definitely rides higher than cars I had (ES 330, Accord Coupe, Legacy), but it drives a lot nicer than my last SUV (Explorer).

To Shiek, if you prefers cars, I understand, but if you haven't ever been in one, I would highly recommend checking it out. I have had to drive my FIL's CR-V and I didn't care for it, but I love my MKX. I'm more of an SUV guy, but I loved my Accord and my ES. I just really like the Edge/MKX as a sweet spot for a guy that owns a home (always getting something) and has 3 boys with sports equipment from baseball bags/pitching machines to a bunch of golf bags.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
If this isn't an SUV, I guess I'm not a fan of whatever they call this either.And I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not for me.
The Edge, CRV, Nissan Rogue, etc. are referred to as "crossovers". Built on car platforms with extra room. Think modern day stationwagons.

I"m surprised you're not just writing a check and buying something under 30K like that.

None of the cars you are talking about are going to be able to tow your boat though.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
If this isn't an SUV, I guess I'm not a fan of whatever they call this either.And I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not for me.
The Edge, CRV, Nissan Rogue, etc. are referred to as "crossovers". Built on car platforms with extra room. Think modern day stationwagons.
EXaaaactly. Not sure where, "It's not for me." comes from on these. It's not like making the leap from a coupe to an Excursion or something...

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
OK. So I'm not a fan of Crossovers, either. Didn't realize they had their own category now. But, no, I am not a fan of most cars that are not cars. SUV, Trucks, Crossovers, Crossunders, Station Wagons, Crucks, Tars or El Caminos.

Users who are viewing this thread