What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for a family car under $30k (1 Viewer)

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

Best interior in its class

The only negative is there are tons of these out there so you'll see yourself coming and going a lot.

I'm a fan.
I think we got ignored. I'd go for a Ford Edge (same as my MKX aside from options) any day of the week with a family over a Fusion, Accord, Passat or Altima. I have owned SUVs and mini-vans and I like the fuller sized SUV for my wife (3 boys) since we drive to most of our vacations (even Disney is only 8 hours). For me, no way I would go back to a car. The Costco runs, Lowe's runs, etc. where I need more room is so easy with a crossover and the hatchback, especially if you can't squoosh the kid going with you.
I am just not a fan of the Edge. And I'm sure this is due to me not really being an SUV fan. I'm sure it's a great vehicle, but SUV's just aren't my thing.
Hardly an SUV...
If this isn't an SUV, I guess I'm not a fan of whatever they call this either.And I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not for me.
The Edge, CRV, Nissan Rogue, etc. are referred to as "crossovers". Built on car platforms with extra room. Think modern day stationwagons.
EXaaaactly. Not sure where, "It's not for me." comes from on these. It's not like making the leap from a coupe to an Excursion or something...
:confused:

I had no idea I couldn't have my own opinion on vehicles and what I like. Weird.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

The only negative is there are tons of these out there so you'll see yourself coming and going a lot.

I'm a fan.
I think we got ignored. I'd go for a Ford Edge (same as my MKX aside from options) any day of the week with a family over a Fusion, Accord, Passat or Altima. I have owned SUVs and mini-vans and I like the fuller sized SUV for my wife (3 boys) since we drive to most of our vacations (even Disney is only 8 hours). For me, no way I would go back to a car. The Costco runs, Lowe's runs, etc. where I need more room is so easy with a crossover and the hatchback, especially if you can't squoosh the kid going with you.
I am just not a fan of the Edge. And I'm sure this is due to me not really being an SUV fan. I'm sure it's a great vehicle, but SUV's just aren't my thing.
Hardly an SUV...
If this isn't an SUV, I guess I'm not a fan of whatever they call this either.

And I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not for me.
I think that picture makes it look bigger than it really is. Compared to the Fusion, it is 5 inches taller, 4 inches wider and 7 inches shorter (yes shorter). Because of the shape, the storage is the big difference. The trunk volume of the fusion is 16 cu ft. The Edge has 32 cu ft behind the second row and 69 cu ft with the second row down.

The Edge is not an Explorer, even though it sort of looks like it and it definitely doesn't drive like it.

Hey, we aren't trying to convince you. If you like cars, get a car, but I would say that if you haven't tried one, give it a chance. If you go on a family vacation, the roominess and cargo holding is a vast difference IMHO.

Also, feel free to lease to your heart's content. ;)

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
If this isn't an SUV, I guess I'm not a fan of whatever they call this either.And I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not for me.
The Edge, CRV, Nissan Rogue, etc. are referred to as "crossovers". Built on car platforms with extra room. Think modern day stationwagons.
OK. So I'm not a fan of Crossovers, either. Didn't realize they had their own category now. But, no, I am not a fan of most cars that are not cars. SUV, Trucks, Crossovers, Crossunders, Station Wagons, Crucks, Tars or El Caminos.
Fair enoughm. Just wanted to clarify for you, in case it made a difference to you.

Grump.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
OK. So I'm not a fan of Crossovers, either. Didn't realize they had their own category now. But, no, I am not a fan of most cars that are not cars. SUV, Trucks, Crossovers, Crossunders, Station Wagons, Crucks, Tars or El Caminos.
You have a boat to tow?

I"m surprised you're not just writing a check and buying something under 30K like that.

None of the cars you are talking about are going to be able to tow your boat though.
My boat? :confused:

Is this in reference to a joke I made at one point? Because if so, I don't remember it.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
Fair enoughm. Just wanted to clarify for you, in case it made a difference to you.

Grump.
:lol:

I"m surprised you're not just writing a check and buying something under 30K like that.

None of the cars you are talking about are going to be able to tow your boat though.

Is this in reference to a joke I made at one point? Because if so, I don't remember it.
He's not really funny anymore, what after Lost ended and he got married.
:goodposting:

Both those things happened in the same year and it's been an absolute downward spiral from there

You're a FBG and you're upper elite tier, I just assumed it.. my bad
Poor people have boats. I thought FBGers had yachts?

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...
EXaaaactly. Not sure where, "It's not for me." comes from on these. It's not like making the leap from a coupe to an Excursion or something...
:confused:

I had no idea I couldn't have my own opinion on vehicles and what I like. Weird.
Of course you can. We're just here to hold your hand. ;)

Wife and I just bought a Fusion last month (we have a 6 mo. old baby). I like it a lot. Lots of space in the interior, good value, good milage compared to our Jeep Liberty, and the traction control is great for the Chicago weather, so we end up driving it a lot more often than the Jeep (which is RWD). It's also rated well in safety. Really haven't felt like we've given up much space compared to our SUV. It's not the most powerful car, but it gets the job done.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're a FBG and you're upper elite tier, I just assumed it.. my bad
Poor people have boats. I thought FBGers had yachts?
But they pronounce it "yat-chets"

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...

I think that picture makes it look bigger than it really is. Compared to the Fusion, it is 5 inches taller, 4 inches wider and 7 inches shorter (yes shorter). Because of the shape, the storage is the big difference. The trunk volume of the fusion is 16 cu ft. The Edge has 32 cu ft behind the second row and 69 cu ft with the second row down.

The Edge is not an Explorer, even though it sort of looks like it and it definitely doesn't drive like it.

Hey, we aren't trying to convince you. If you like cars, get a car, but I would say that if you haven't tried one, give it a chance. If you go on a family vacation, the roominess and cargo holding is a vast difference IMHO.

I have friends who have them and I've both ridden in and driven them. Just not my thing. I've always been a car guy. I love cars. I've raced cars and I've always had cars. I just really love the feeling of a nice, small vehicle. Even when I got older and needed a bigger car to drive people I work with around, I still chose cars that were small in size, comparably.

There are a couple vehicles other than cars that I've liked in my lifetime, but they are few and far between. But I have not been a fan of the Crossovers for the same reason I was never a fan of SUV's: They look like station wagons to me.

I'm sure they are great cars (or Crossovers), but I'm just not a fan of the way they look.

Wife and I just bought a Fusion last month (we have a 6 mo. old baby). I like it a lot. Lots of space in the interior, good value, good milage compared to our Jeep Liberty, and the traction control is great for the Chicago weather, so we end up driving it a lot more often than the Jeep (which is RWD). It's also rated well in safety. Really haven't felt like we've given up much space compared to our SUV. It's not the most powerful car, but it gets the job done.
I love the look of this car. The outside, I should say. I'm really hoping I fall in love with this car because, as I've said, as of right now, this is probably my first choice.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...

I have friends who have them and I've both ridden in and driven them. Just not my thing. I've always been a car guy. I love cars. I've raced cars and I've always had cars. I just really love the feeling of a nice, small vehicle. Even when I got older and needed a bigger car to drive people I work with around, I still chose cars that were small in size, comparably.

There are a couple vehicles other than cars that I've liked in my lifetime, but they are few and far between. But I have not been a fan of the Crossovers for the same reason I was never a fan of SUV's: They look like station wagons to me.

I'm sure they are great cars (or Crossovers), but I'm just not a fan of the way they look.
But you are here looking for a "family" car, not a race car. What is the difference between the car of you youth and a "family" car? Carrying more people and stuff on a regular basis, no?

I love the look of this car. The outside, I should say. I'm really hoping I fall in love with this car because, as I've said, as of right now, this is probably my first choice.
I know why this sounds familiar. It reminds me of the Property Virgins episodes on HGTV wherein the house hunter turns his/her nose up at a property that is the right price, size, and hits most of their bullet list... but it has carpeting in the living room. Or the color of the walls is all wrong. Or it has ceiling fans in the bedrooms... :wall:

I do like the look of the Fusion a lot. It seems like they took some styling cues from the Jaguars with that grill more open in the front than previous models and the body.

Its no crossover...

But you are here looking for a "family" car, not a race car. What is the difference between the car of you youth and a "family" car? Carrying more people and stuff on a regular basis, no?
I am looking for a family car. And I've found a lot of family cars.

I know why this sounds familiar. It reminds me of the Property Virgins episodes on HGTV wherein the house hunter turns his/her nose up at a property that is the right price, size, and hits most of their bullet list... but it has carpeting in the living room. Or the color of the walls is all wrong. Or it has ceiling fans in the bedrooms... :wall:
Actually, what I'm saying is I haven't driven it or seen the inside of one, so I don't know if I like it. I'm not going to buy a car simply because I like the way the outside looks.

Ford edge -

Fast as ####

Roomy

I'm a fan.
Hardly an SUV...

Understood, makes more sense than just not liking SUVs. I think we were trying to point out that crossovers are far from SUVs even if they keep some of the look of them. If you don't like them, you don't like them. This was my first one and I definitely like it better than an SUV, although I like my wife's Highlander as well. Probably like the Pilot, it feels more responsive driving it like a car.

I do like the look of the Fusion a lot. It seems like they took some styling cues from the Jaguars with that grill more open in the front than previous models and the body.
I think they were going more for the Aston Martin. And I think they nailed it.

Actually, what I'm saying is I haven't driven it or seen the inside of one, so I don't know if I like it. I'm not going to buy a car simply because I like the way the outside looks.
Absolutely not. But you kind of are ruling out crossovers by looking at them.

Absolutely not. But you kind of are ruling out crossovers by looking at them.
Yes. My point still remains the same. I'm looking for a car that meets all three of my criteria: Outside looks, inside looks and how it feels driving it.

I think they were going more for the Aston Martin. And I think they nailed it.
I agree on the grill, looks like the AM Rapide, but I think the body itself takes more cues from the Jaguar XJ. While Ford doesn't fully own either anymore, I would bet a lot of the concepts of both were still in Ford's hands before they sold them.

Hyundai Sonata will come in at <$30k easily. 190hp standard, 274hp if you upgrade to the turbo. Lots of extras in other brands are standard in this car. Lease special at 199 a month for 36M. Warranty is close to double something like the Fusion, which will help when the lease is over. Use the extra cash to get a topper for the extra space you want for the family's stuff.

Ford sucks!

My wife and I before we bought our Subaru, I wanted to make sure she test drove everything that was around or close to what we were looking for. I figured the Ford Focus hatchback would be a slam dunk, I liked the look of them and even though I had bought Japanese cars the last 15+ years I thought we should look hard at the Ford.

Wife absolutely hated it and mostly because the interior felt cheap and the handling was nowhere close to the AWD of the Subaru. Prices were pretty close, and it continues to stump me how people go buy vehicles that will not hold their value and tend to really go South after 5 years. I see many of you lease them for 2-3 years and turn them in, maybe that's the way to do it but we prefer to buy and get 8-10 years out of a car before we would trade in or buy something newer to help bring down the monthly cost of owning them.

We avg about $150-$200 a month over the life of a Honda/Toyota and I cannot say I have ever gotten anything close to that out of American made cars. I think if you want the least problems you should probably look at Honda and Toyota, very dependable and its major news when they have a mini meltdown or recall. When is the last time someone said they were having problems with a Ford or Chevy 3-5 years in and someone says "Are you kidding? You should get an easy 150k miles out of a Ford."

Never hear that but you do hear most Honda owners saying that at 100k miles their cars are just getting broken in. But go buy the Ford and have fun until you turn it back in. What is the cost to lease for 2-3 years? I imagine with the down payment, all the fees, extra insurance, gotta be in the $400-$500 a month range and then you start again in 24-36 months, that gets pretty costly.

You could take the difference of $250 a month over lifetime ownership then invest the difference and have a nice little pile of cash when you reach your later years. Just saying...

Not to mention getting UP and out of a car. Don't get me wrong, I loved me a nice car back in the day. My last new car was an '85 Celica GTS 5 speed stick. But after tweaking my back, nothing beats stepping into and out of my '00 Isuzu Trooper or anything similar. My 81 year old Mom has a 2010 Toyota Camry and I have no clue how she gets in and out of that thing. That flat out sucks.
I was in the market for a car a year ago. I was just about to pull the trigger on a sweet 2010 Accord that was loaded, when the wife got a huge bonus and wanted a new car. We were about ready to finalize the deal, trading her 2010 Forester in for a 2013 Tribeca. A friend of mine pointed out, "Why would you want to crawl into a Honda with your bad back, when you can step into a Forester that you basically own?"

A year later, I don't regret opting for the Forester. Easy to get in and out, and the AWD in low gears coupled with decent clearance, and this vehicle has taken me everywhere without a problem. That 1994 Subaru wagon I mentioned in the thread linked above, really turned our family into Subaru drivers.

Wife: Tribeca

Me: Forester

Son: Outback Sedan

Daughter: 15 and has little interest in driving....she's petrified scared of driving.

ETA: To TISk:

This post is not an endorsement of Subaru vehicles for your use. AWD vehicles get crappy mileage. We rely on AWD quite often.

Mazda6, don't sleep on it, it's really nice and probably big enough.

Forrester is nice if the Mazda or the Fusion isn't quite big enough and you want just a little more space.

Then again I have a '10 Rav4 and don't mind the 'crossover' at all.

Mazda6, don't sleep on it, it's really nice and probably big enough.

Forrester is nice if the Mazda or the Fusion isn't quite big enough and you want just a little more space.

Then again I have a '10 Rav4 and don't mind the 'crossover' at all.
NO!! NO CROSSOVERS!!! ENOUGH WITH THE GOD#### CROSSOVERS!!!

:FLIPSDESK:

Crossovers are the modern equivalent of station wagons. U-G-L-Y. No thanks.

I'd rather take public transportation than be caught dead driving a station wagon or minivan. My condolences to those who drive one of those ugly ### things.

I'd rather take public transportation than be caught dead driving a station wagon or minivan. My condolences to those who drive one of those ugly ### things.
Sheik likes them, though. I think he's looking to lease a used one.

Not to mention getting UP and out of a car. Don't get me wrong, I loved me a nice car back in the day. My last new car was an '85 Celica GTS 5 speed stick. But after tweaking my back, nothing beats stepping into and out of my '00 Isuzu Trooper or anything similar. My 81 year old Mom has a 2010 Toyota Camry and I have no clue how she gets in and out of that thing. That flat out sucks.
I was in the market for a car a year ago. I was just about to pull the trigger on a sweet 2010 Accord that was loaded, when the wife got a huge bonus and wanted a new car. We were about ready to finalize the deal, trading her 2010 Forester in for a 2013 Tribeca. A friend of mine pointed out, "Why would you want to crawl into a Honda with your bad back, when you can step into a Forester that you basically own?"

A year later, I don't regret opting for the Forester. Easy to get in and out, and the AWD in low gears coupled with decent clearance, and this vehicle has taken me everywhere without a problem. That 1994 Subaru wagon I mentioned in the thread linked above, really turned our family into Subaru drivers.

Wife: Tribeca

Me: Forester

Son: Outback Sedan

Daughter: 15 and has little interest in driving....she's petrified scared of driving.

ETA: To TISk:

This post is not an endorsement of Subaru vehicles for your use. AWD vehicles get crappy mileage. We rely on AWD quite often.
Is watching or playing softball big in your household?

Cool story BRAH. Let's do some KEGSTANDS!

Users who are viewing this thread