What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old (2 Viewers)

Pretty amazing thread here... Usually I'd expect a bunch of idiots ranting in a thread like this, instead there are a bunch of intelligent posters pretty divided. All I've been able to uncover on this story is (which isn't enough to make any judgement):

- 18 year old kid shot to death by cop (kid is black)

- cop may have acted too aggressively, but what actually happened is still TBD (white cop)

- kid might not have been perfect, but def didn't deserve to die

Is this all we have?
This is almost accurate, though I'd go a little further than "kid might not have been perfect." He seemed downright scummy.

Isn't the video important because Ferguson is likely under the impression the cop is taking him down for the robbery? Ferguson may have reacted to the cop in a much different manner as opposed to him just walking down the street on a normal day.

Not saying the actions of the cop were justified or not. Don't know enough yet nor likely ever will. Just that the cop ran into an altercation with someone who just robbed a liquor store and it went sideways.

The video is important because it may show Ferguson's state of mind.
Yup. It also shows the kid sure wasn't shying away from confrontation that afternoon.

More looting overnight. Pretty comical seeing a huge crowd out in front of the Target at 2am with their hands up doing the "don't shoot I'm Mike Brown" shtick as they're looting the joint. Why doesn't some community organizer go down there and explain to these people that they're a total embarrassment?

Why the need to protest at 1 am? I guess it's easier to loot?....
If by "protest" you mean "rob and steal," it's just easier to do that at 1am.

They've basically milked this tragedy to turn this town into a party every night. Nice to see the good folks of Ferguson get it.

Isn't the video important because Ferguson is likely under the impression the cop is taking him down for the robbery? Ferguson may have reacted to the cop in a much different manner as opposed to him just walking down the street on a normal day.

Not saying the actions of the cop were justified or not. Don't know enough yet nor likely ever will. Just that the cop ran into an altercation with someone who just robbed a liquor store and it went sideways.

Yeah, it's definitely Ferguson in that video. I'd recognize Ferguson anywhere.

So yesterday morning the police chief felt it was smart to release the incident report and video from the store robbery but not the incident report from the shooting. Still no incident report release from the shooting.

I already said that my wife is a rural carrier. I have an interest in what happens, especially when it comes to union contracts. If you would have dug a little deeper, you would have found a post of mine on that website that states my wife works for the Post Office. Not very good police work there Columbo.

As far as chasing people, you should do some more research. I would love to find a way to make a bet. If you had any money, I'd take everything you have. Not only did we apprehend shoplifters, but we also used handcuffs on shoplifters at JCPenney's. I'm sure you'll call that BS too. I also know people at other retail stores here in town and they are still making apprehensions. Some places have made a change to diversion, but not all.

You should probably quit while you're behind.
My wife worked in LP at both Target and BB. They were strictly forbidden to try and apprehend a shoplifter. They were allowed to approach them, and ask them, but not physically apprehend them. This goes back to the 90's. Not sure when you worked in LP, but PitBull is spot on with what he said.
I already agreed that Target no longer apprehends shoplifters. They changed their rules sometime in the mid-90's after I left. BB puts their LP at the front desk, they are more of a door greeter than loss prevention. I know there are stores that don't chase or physically apprehend shoplifters any longer. But there are stores that still do. Usually the policy and procedures state they can pursue if the suspect can be apprehended in a quick and safe manner, and within a reasonable distance.

If retail stores no longer apprehend shoplifters, then how are people being charged with shoplifting?

No physical altercation in this video. Doesn't look like they are using handcuffs either.

No need to worry about stupid criminals that have no regards for LP personnel.

Here is another

Who would stab a Loss Prevention Agent?

So the video of the Brown robbery led to new rioting?
I think it's probably more the community thinking that the police are trying to blame the deceased for his own death. That Ferguson chief of police who talked to the press yesterday is a complete ####tard.

Even still, it was only a small minority of looters again, but you still hate to see it.

I think it's probably more the community thinking that the police are trying to blame the deceased for his own death. That Ferguson chief of police who talked to the press yesterday is a complete ####tard.

Even still, it was only a small minority of looters again, but you still hate to see it.
Looters are lame. I read this morning that there were a lot of protestors guarding stores last night, just standing in front of them with their arms up and warning potential looters away saying things "this better be about Mike, not you" or somesuch.

Apparently they robbed the store that Brown robbed. Maybe it was a solidarity thing.

Strange.

Looters are lame. I read this morning that there were a lot of protestors guarding stores last night, just standing in front of them with their arms up and warning potential looters away saying things "this better be about Mike, not you" or somesuch.
If they want to honor mike shouldn't they be going to a quickie mart, stealing some grape flavored swisher sweets and some corn chips then slap the owner around a bit after he tries to get them to pay for it?

If they want to honor mike shouldn't they be going to a quickie mart, stealing some grape flavored swisher sweets and some corn chips then slap the owner around a bit after he tries to get them to pay for it?
Yes, good point. And to honor you, we will shoot some more unarmed black kids.

Yes, good point. And to honor you, we will shoot some more unarmed black kids.
How does that honor me? You don't see Greggity Greg in the news shooting anyone. lol

Yup.
Who is Ferguson?

Yup.
Who is Ferguson?
He used to catch for the LA dodgers in the mid 70's. YW

So yesterday morning the police chief felt it was smart to release the incident report and video from the store robbery but not the incident report from the shooting. Still no incident report release from the shooting.
Maybe they're working on different versions of the initial report.

Going back to the Supreme Court cases I cited earlier, it said an officer has the right to shoot a fleeing suspect if he has reasonable basis to believe the suspect was guilty of a felony.

Is shooting a cop a felony?

How about assault & battery of a police officer?

If either one of those is a potential felony, then according to the Supreme Court, the officer had the right to shoot to avoid letting him get away.
When was the cop shot?

And simple assault on an officer is a misdemeanor in Missouri.
Then there's this:

Assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree, definition, penalty.

565.082. 1. A person commits the crime of assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree if such person:

(1) Knowingly causes or attempts to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(2) Knowingly causes or attempts to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means other than a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(3) Recklessly causes serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer; or

(4) While in an intoxicated condition or under the influence of controlled substances or drugs, operates a motor vehicle or vessel in this state and when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer;

(5) Acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(6) Purposely or recklessly places a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in apprehension of immediate serious physical injury; or

(7) Acts with criminal negligence to create a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer.

2. As used in this section, "emergency personnel" means any paid or volunteer firefighter, emergency room or trauma center personnel, or emergency medical technician as defined in subdivisions (15), (16), (17), and (18) of section 190.100.

3. As used in this section the term "corrections officer" includes any jailer or corrections officer of the state or any political subdivision of the state.

4. When used in this section, the terms "highway worker", "construction zone", or "work zone" shall have the same meaning as such terms are defined in section 304.580.

5. As used in this section, the term "utility worker" means any employee while in performance of their job duties, including any person employed under contract of a utility that provides gas, heat, electricity, water, steam, telecommunications services, or sewer services, whether privately, municipally, or cooperatively owned.

6. As used in this section, the term "cable worker" means any employee, including any person employed under contract of a cable operator, as such term is defined in section 67.2677.

7. Assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree is a class B felony unless committed pursuant to subdivision (2), (5), (6), or (7) of subsection 1 of this section in which case it is a class C felony. For any violation of subdivision (1), (3), or (4) of subsection 1 of this section, the defendant must serve mandatory jail time as part of his or her sentence.

Yup.
Who is Ferguson?
Loved that guy.

Yup.
Who is Ferguson?
Loved that guy.
I remember when he was in right field, caught that ball in right center and gunned the A's player out at the plate in the W.S :cool:

Yup.
Who is Ferguson?
Loved that guy.
I remember when he was in right field, caught that ball in right center and gunned the A's player out at the plate in the W.S :cool:
1974. But the Dodgers lost that series.

Yup.
Who is Ferguson?
Loved that guy.
1974. But the Dodgers lost that series.
Yes but my earliest memories of watching baseball. The A's were incredible back then!

Many of the protesters were guarding businesses from looting.

I already said that my wife is a rural carrier. I have an interest in what happens, especially when it comes to union contracts. If you would have dug a little deeper, you would have found a post of mine on that website that states my wife works for the Post Office. Not very good police work there Columbo.

As far as chasing people, you should do some more research. I would love to find a way to make a bet. If you had any money, I'd take everything you have. Not only did we apprehend shoplifters, but we also used handcuffs on shoplifters at JCPenney's. I'm sure you'll call that BS too. I also know people at other retail stores here in town and they are still making apprehensions. Some places have made a change to diversion, but not all.

You should probably quit while you're behind.
My wife worked in LP at both Target and BB. They were strictly forbidden to try and apprehend a shoplifter. They were allowed to approach them, and ask them, but not physically apprehend them. This goes back to the 90's. Not sure when you worked in LP, but PitBull is spot on with what he said.
I already agreed that Target no longer apprehends shoplifters. They changed their rules sometime in the mid-90's after I left. BB puts their LP at the front desk, they are more of a door greeter than loss prevention. I know there are stores that don't chase or physically apprehend shoplifters any longer. But there are stores that still do. Usually the policy and procedures state they can pursue if the suspect can be apprehended in a quick and safe manner, and within a reasonable distance.

If retail stores no longer apprehend shoplifters, then how are people being charged with shoplifting?

No physical altercation in this video. Doesn't look like they are using handcuffs either.

Canada, and questionable whether those are actually in house LP guys or Undercover Cops. I'm betting on the latter.

No need to worry about stupid criminals that have no regards for LP personnel.

Oh look, Canada Again! And, I guarantee if that LP person was employed by a large company he isn't anymore.

Here is another

Cops

Who would stab a Loss Prevention Agent?

Pretty sure that LP guy doesn't have a job after that one.
Nobody said they aren't apprehending. I'm saying you are full of #### in general about the risk of your job, or that you are chasing and scuffling with criminals so many times as to need a career change. It ain't happening. You are apprehending people a lot. People who throw their arms up and quit as soon as you meet them at the front door. You aren't apprehending people who put up any kind of fight, because you would lose your job. Please refer to my first post.

So I know the know the police chief can't keep his foot out of his mouth, but the actions of some of the protesters are inexcusable at this point.

I find it absolutely humorous that there are numerous quotes in the media today from the residents there complaining that the police aren't stopping the looting whereas earlier in the week the police were criticized for being out in a show of force. So at this point, what can they do?

Going back to the Supreme Court cases I cited earlier, it said an officer has the right to shoot a fleeing suspect if he has reasonable basis to believe the suspect was guilty of a felony.

If either one of those is a potential felony, then according to the Supreme Court, the officer had the right to shoot to avoid letting him get away.
When was the cop shot?And simple assault on an officer is a misdemeanor in Missouri.
Then there's this:
Assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree, definition, penalty.

565.082. 1. A person commits the crime of assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree if such person:

(1) Knowingly causes or attempts to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(2) Knowingly causes or attempts to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means other than a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(3) Recklessly causes serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer; or

(4) While in an intoxicated condition or under the influence of controlled substances or drugs, operates a motor vehicle or vessel in this state and when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer;

(5) Acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;

(6) Purposely or recklessly places a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in apprehension of immediate serious physical injury; or

(7) Acts with criminal negligence to create a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer.

2. As used in this section, "emergency personnel" means any paid or volunteer firefighter, emergency room or trauma center personnel, or emergency medical technician as defined in subdivisions (15), (16), (17), and (18) of section 190.100.

3. As used in this section the term "corrections officer" includes any jailer or corrections officer of the state or any political subdivision of the state.

4. When used in this section, the terms "highway worker", "construction zone", or "work zone" shall have the same meaning as such terms are defined in section 304.580.

5. As used in this section, the term "utility worker" means any employee while in performance of their job duties, including any person employed under contract of a utility that provides gas, heat, electricity, water, steam, telecommunications services, or sewer services, whether privately, municipally, or cooperatively owned.

6. As used in this section, the term "cable worker" means any employee, including any person employed under contract of a cable operator, as such term is defined in section 67.2677.

7. Assault of a law enforcement officer, corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer in the second degree is a class B felony unless committed pursuant to subdivision (2), (5), (6), or (7) of subsection 1 of this section in which case it is a class C felony. For any violation of subdivision (1), (3), or (4) of subsection 1 of this section, the defendant must serve mandatory jail time as part of his or her sentence.
Thanks, new statute. Again, when was the cop shot? And what "serious physical injury" was caused to the cop?

When was the cop shot?And simple assault on an officer is a misdemeanor in Missouri.
Then there's this:

Thanks, new statute. Again, when was the cop shot? And what "serious physical injury" was caused to the cop?
The cop's gun was definitely discharged inside the car. We don't know who was responsible for that. I heard early reports the perp was trying to get control of the gun. If he did indeed get enough control of the gun to cause it to discharge, we can probably add another felony on top of that.

And there were early reports the cop was beat about the face.

So I find it entirely plausible that the officer believed there was probable cause the suspect had committed a felony.

After that, it becomes a question of department policy and when use of lethal force is authorized.

Also, had the officer not shot the suspect, then had the suspect gone to commit more violent acts in the community, the community would probably be questioning why the suspect was not apprehended when he assaulted the cop.

Biggest lesson here may be to the police force as a whole to hire more minority officers, even if it means hiring less qualified officers. Then that opens another can of worms when more qualified whites get passed over because it's more important to hire minority candidates.

So I know the know the police chief can't keep his foot out of his mouth, but the actions of some of the protesters are inexcusable at this point.

I find it absolutely humorous that there are numerous quotes in the media today from the residents there complaining that the police aren't stopping the looting whereas earlier in the week the police were criticized for being out in a show of force. So at this point, what can they do?
stop killing black people that have hands up.

Oscar Grant. Shot & killed while handcuffed. Sitting down. Hands behind back.

Eric Garner. Choked to death & killed by police on YouTube for the world to see. Unarmed.

Wendell Allen. Unarmed high school basketball star in N.O. Shot & killed. Police admit coverup.

Can we treat a black guy jaywalking with stolen cigars the same way we treat a white guy shooting a congresswomen, or a white guy shooting up a theater, or a white guy blowing up a building, or a white guy eating people.

Eric Garner. Choked to death & killed by police on YouTube for the world to see. Unarmed.

Wendell Allen. Unarmed high school basketball star in N.O. Shot & killed. Police admit coverup.

Can we treat a black guy jaywalking with stolen cigars the same way we treat a white guy shooting a congresswomen, or a white guy shooting up a theater, or a white guy blowing up a building, or a white guy eating people.
All three of those cases, apples & oranges. No comparison or relevance to the Brown shooting. Sorry.

Then there's this:

The cop's gun was definitely discharged inside the car. We don't know who was responsible for that. I heard early reports the perp was trying to get control of the gun. If he did indeed get enough control of the gun to cause it to discharge, we can probably add another felony on top of that. And there were early reports the cop was beat about the face.

So I find it entirely plausible that the officer believed there was probable cause the suspect had committed a felony.

After that, it becomes a question of department policy and when use of lethal force is authorized.

Also, had the officer not shot the suspect, then had the suspect gone to commit more violent acts in the community, the community would probably be questioning why the suspect was not apprehended when he assaulted the cop.

Biggest lesson here may be to the police force as a whole to hire more minority officers, even if it means hiring less qualified officers. Then that opens another can of worms when more qualified whites get passed over because it's more important to hire minority candidates.
I just want to know if this means the cops can shoot Rick Perry.

I think he was looking for things the St. Louis Highway Patrol could do without a time machine.

Goes back to the old story of STOP COMMITTING CRIMES and chances are you wont have any run ins with the law. Its worked for me for 40 plus years.....

Then there's this:

The cop's gun was definitely discharged inside the car. We don't know who was responsible for that. I heard early reports the perp was trying to get control of the gun. If he did indeed get enough control of the gun to cause it to discharge, we can probably add another felony on top of that. And there were early reports the cop was beat about the face.

I just want to know if this means the cops can shoot Rick Perry.
That's in Texas. Of course they can shoot him.

Goes back to the old story of STOP COMMITTING CRIMES and chances are you wont have any run ins with the law. Its worked for me for 40 plus years.....
Which crimes did the peaceful protesters commit when they had their tear gas and rubber bullet full run in with the law of Ferguson?

I think he was looking for things the St. Louis Highway Patrol could do without a time machine.
Exactly.

The cops pull back because they don't want to be on the cover of CNN for appearing to be abusive and this is what happens and I bet tonight there will be more of the same until there is nothing left to loot.

It is like LZ Granderson's piece earlier in the week where he was calling for less police presence as a whole in poor neighborhoods and instead they need more doctors and teachers. Yeah, let's see how that works out there LZ.

Or treat black people jay walking the same we treat Jeffrey Dahmer, timothy mcveigh, James Holmes, or Jared Loughner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Or treat black people jay walking with stolen cigars the same we treat Jeffrey Dahmer, timothy mcveigh, James Holmes, or Jared Loughner.
I would have no problem with the police shooting those guys. Sounds like we reached a consensus on police protocol going forward. :P

Or treat black people jay walking the same we treat Jeffrey Dahmer, timothy mcveigh, James Holmes, or Jared Loughner.
This kid was anything but an innocent jay walker, stop....

This kid was anything but an innocent jay walker, stop....
when the cop engaged it was for jay walking the PD had no idea that it was related to the robbery.

Users who are viewing this thread