What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

\\m// Official Dealer's Choice Music Mixtape Draft (1 Viewer)

Hopefully, this will take a day or two to get moving, as I'm kind of swamped heading to Friday. I have to admit that I'm not relishing some of these categories (although I accept the challenge of trying to find a Rush song that doesn't suck). The attempt to find a black female metal singer led me down some pretty depressing paths last night..

OK - as long as you brought Rush into this, I'll stay in. Just with my workload, can't be as active a participant as in past drafts.

My category combines the aforementioned deep tracks/#1 albums. songs that did not chart, but are on albums that hit number one on the Billboard 200 album chart

So it could be an unreleased single, or a released single that did not chart in any country nor on any Billboard chart out there (pop/rock/R&B/dance/death metal, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - as long as you brought Rush into this, I'll stay in. Just with my workload, can't be as active a participant as in past drafts.

My category combines the aforementioned deep tracks/#1 albums. songs that did not chart, but are on albums that hit number one on the Billboard 200 album chart

So it could be an unreleased single, or a released single that did not chart in any country nor on any Billboard chart out there (pop/rock/R&B/dance/death metal, etc.)
That sounds like a lot of research. Deep tracks on #1 albums seems like a decent idea, but I'm not sure I'd even know how to check whether Computer Blue ever charted in Korea.

OK, I'm changing mine. My new category is sad songs.
This is the sort of category I was hoping for. I can probably the rare Norwegian gay folk deep cut with Geddy Lee vocals if I have to, but I was kinda hoping for something a little broader.

That sounds like a lot of research. Deep tracks on #1 albums seems like a decent idea, but I'm not sure I'd even know how to check whether Computer Blue ever charted in Korea.
Easy to Google a list of #1 albums. Pick one and then grab a lesser known tune from it. Wiki will tell you whether the album and song charted.

I wasn't overtly criticizing yours, but I do think perhaps more general topics work best (I'm open to revising myself).

I can now reveal I guess, that my Google searching led me to a black female lead singer who sang with "Van Helsing's Curse" which was a "heavy metal orchestra" created by Dee Snider in the idea of doing something similar to Transiberian Railroad for Halloween. It was, quite possibly, the worst thing ever produced for human listening.

I wasn't overtly criticizing yours, but I do think perhaps more general topics work best (I'm open to revising myself).

I can now reveal I guess, that my Google searching led me to a black female lead singer who sang with "Van Helsing's Curse" which was a "heavy metal orchestra" created by Dee Snider in the idea of doing something similar to Transiberian Railroad for Halloween. It was, quite possibly, the worst thing ever produced for human listening.
I didn't think my category fit what Eephus was going for. No worries.

oh and :link:

Jebus, this moved fast. Wanted to be IN.

Just jump in and give a category?

EDIT: NM ... I see my name in post #3 :D

I'll go with songs that reference at least 1 famous athlete by name/nickname

Note that references to a specific player's nickname (example: "the Great One" rather than specifically saying "Gretzky") count. References to generic athletes or fake athletes (example: the generic football game verse in "American Pie") don't count.

On second thought I'm going to retract what I put, as that was more or less a category in one of tim's recent drafts, and hold off for a bit

My category is a blues song sung by a female artists over the last 10 years. That should be easy enough.

Let me catch up with the categories. I'll post an update.

Let's try to nail down categories by tonight.

Just to be clear, my category is Songs with Awful Lyrics That You Nevertheless Love (this could easily be co-extensive with the Rush category for many people, I suspect). It could feature strained metaphors, awful puns, incredibly clunky rhyme schemes, pretentious lyrics, anything by Judas Priest. Whatever. But please post the offending passage.

Official category:

Rock songs with at least three movements (clear changes in any or all of instrumentation, tempo, meter)

Three movements means two changes within the song, e.g. Movement A / Movement B / Movement C

It's OK for a movement to be reprised, e.g. Movement A / Movement B / Movement A (reprise) is fine.

Movement changes can be gradual -- no need for hard breaks or momentary silence between movements.

My category. Will not final it yet. It can be open for discussion

Acoustic Songs from 1990-2014

** MTV unplugged series is not eligible (unless someone can convince me otherwise)

IN - Jeez, thought I was already listed in the other thread as in. Oh well, will try again next time.

Not sure why there's a limit on the number of drafters. Who cares about CD length or LP length? Go double-CD or box-set length ... why not?

zamboni: are you in or out?

zamboni said:
The more this expands, the more I realize I should bow out as well. I know myself from past years, and I tend to commit way too much time to these things.

Feel free to swap me out as well.
zamboni said:

I think the nominator should be the final authority on every pick but their own in their category.* And people who were ##### can be judged harshly in the potentially brutal final round.

* With Eephus having supreme overrule power of course

Here's what I have so far:

Uruk Hai ------------------------ OUT - need replacement (ilove80s or Hell Toupee?)
Mister CIA ------------------------ Specific small town
John Madden's Lunchbox ------------------------ Scandinavians
Fennis ------------------------ Sad
higgins ------------------------ Rush
Doug B ------------------------ Rock w/ 3+ movements
Steve Tasker ------------------------ Name/nickname of athlete
timschochet ------------------------ Mandolins
El Floppo/BobbyLayne ------------------------ Gay folk
Time Kibitzer ------------------------ formerly Chaos Commish
simey ------------------------ Female blues 2003-2014
John Bender ------------------------ Ex-Beatles solo
zamboni ------------------------ Deep track off #1 album
Binky The Doormat ------------------------ Chill bumps
Ramsay Hunt Experience ------------------------ Awful lyrics that you still love
AcerFC ------------------------ Acoustic 1990-2014
eephus ------------------------ 99 seconds or less
Bonzai ------------------------
JZilla ------------------------
GrOOvus ------------------------
Usual21 ------------------------

Do we have a time frame for drafting in mind?

I'm getting out of town for the weekend and am planning on avoiding the computer as much as possible, so I wouldn't be able to make selections until Tuesday.

I'll figure out a category here soon. I think I have it down to:

A) Songs about/involving the ocean/sea

B) Your favorite song of all time

Any preference?

ETA: I can already tell you I'm really going to struggle with some of these categories (Scandinavians, gay folk, 99 seconds or less, mandolins, small town), it'll be like Scooby said - just a Google search for a candidate, probably not a song I like much or care about.

Uruk Hai ------------------------ OUT - need replacement (ilove80s or Hell Toupee?)

Ramsay Hunt Experience ------------------------ Awful lyrics that you still love

Solo a capella unless you don't like that

Do we have a time frame for drafting in mind?

I'm getting out of town for the weekend and am planning on avoiding the computer as much as possible, so I wouldn't be able to make selections until Tuesday.

I'll figure out a category here soon. I think I have it down to:

A) Songs about/involving the ocean/sea

B) Your favorite song of all time

Any preference?

ETA: I can already tell you I'm really going to struggle with some of these categories, it'll be like Scooby said - just a Google search for a candidate, probably not a song I like much or care about.
No big deal about the weekend. We can autoskip you until then and you can catch up.

Your call on the category.

Added

ETA: these are not going to be high energy mixes :shrug:

Any recommended Gay Folk artists I can study up on?

ETA: ...so I can mulligan Rush

Added

ETA: these are not going to be high energy mixes :shrug:
We'll call it the chill bumps mix featuring Rush and some other prog ####

Kinda tricky to come up with a category that's both broad enough that people don't have to google up to find a song, but specific enough that it's possible for people's favourites in the category to get sniped.

Was thinking of making my category post-1990 instrumental tracks. Hopefully the classic rockers don't find that too restricting.

If you want to change gay/queer folk to the broader bluegrass/country/folk I'm cool with that.

Nordic folk is out, though. And I don't mean that kind of out (NTTAWWT).

Users who are viewing this thread