What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch arrested (1 Viewer)

And anyone (like Imthescientist) treating it as though Lynch driving the freeway drunk is less of a big deal if it was "only" .09 obviously has never had a close friend or family member killed by a drunk driver.
Give it a rest, guy.
No, I don't think so.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/17/marshawn-lynch-almost-hit-two-cars-before-dui-arrest/

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch was observed swerving through traffic and nearly hitting two different vehicles before he was finally pulled over and arrested for driving under the influence before 4 a.m. on Saturday.

And anyone (like Imthescientist) treating it as though Lynch driving the freeway drunk is less of a big deal if it was "only" .09 obviously has never had a close friend or family member killed by a drunk driver.
Give it a rest, guy.
No, I don't think so.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/17/marshawn-lynch-almost-hit-two-cars-before-dui-arrest/

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch was observed swerving through traffic and nearly hitting two different vehicles before he was finally pulled over and arrested for driving under the influence before 4 a.m. on Saturday.
My link
:fishing:

I do this well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Ross Tucker via a NFL exec with knowledge of Lynch's contract any conduct detrimental or substance abuse suspension voids his guarantee and defaults the contract signed in March.

This was under the news section of My Fantasy League.com section when you look up Lynch.

(TheHuddle) Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch is likely to be disciplined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after driving recklessly and failing a field sobriety test Saturday, July 14. In 2008 Lynch hit a pedestrian and drove off, and he was suspended three games in 2009 after a weapons charge.

Analysis: The Seattle Times reports Lynch had two near collisions in his Ford Econoline van, which led to his arrest for DUI. He is scheduled for a court appearance Aug. 14. Dude is out of control and it's possible that he always has been. Goodell will slap him hard.

This was under the news section of My Fantasy League.com section when you look up Lynch.(TheHuddle) Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch is likely to be disciplined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after driving recklessly and failing a field sobriety test Saturday, July 14. In 2008 Lynch hit a pedestrian and drove off, and he was suspended three games in 2009 after a weapons charge.Analysis: The Seattle Times reports Lynch had two near collisions in his Ford Econoline van, which led to his arrest for DUI. He is scheduled for a court appearance Aug. 14. Dude is out of control and it's possible that he always has been. Goodell will slap him hard.
fwiw the Seattle Times HATES sports and hates athletes. They do a ####ty job in this town and shouldn't be quoted.

per Ross Tucker of ESPN:

Uh-oh, Marshawn. An NFL exec told me suspension for conduct detrimental/substance abuse defaults contract & voids guarantee.

For Marshawn Lynch, that is $17M on the contract he signed in March. OUCH!

per Ross Tucker of ESPN:Uh-oh, Marshawn. An NFL exec told me suspension for conduct detrimental/substance abuse defaults contract & voids guarantee.For Marshawn Lynch, that is $17M on the contract he signed in March. OUCH!
I guess it shows how seriously he takes his job. Drinking and driving worth risking 17 million?.....I guess it was!

Rotoworld

An NFL executive tells ESPN's Ross Tucker a suspension for conduct detrimental or substance abuse defaults Marshawn Lynch's four-year, $31 million contract and voids guaranteed money.If true, it was a prudent move by Seattle, realizing the suspension risk inherent in locking up a player who had already run afoul of the league's personal conduct policy. The Seahawks brass may have to confer with ownership to determine the future of their offensive focal point after his recent DUI. The contract Lynch signed in March contains $17 million in guarantees. Rookie Robert Turbin should be owned in all fantasy leagues while we await Lynch's fate with the organization and the NFL.
per Ross Tucker of ESPN:Uh-oh, Marshawn. An NFL exec told me suspension for conduct detrimental/substance abuse defaults contract & voids guarantee.For Marshawn Lynch, that is $17M on the contract he signed in March. OUCH!
I guess it shows how seriously he takes his job. Drinking and driving worth risking 17 million?.....I guess it was!
Dude should have quit drinking for 17 mil. This has to be huge news right? I mean what does seattle do, can they back out of the contract, trade him, restructure, cut him?Eta: could u imagine if they want to restructure for less then he holds out.

Rotoworld

An NFL executive tells ESPN's Ross Tucker a suspension for conduct detrimental or substance abuse defaults Marshawn Lynch's four-year, $31 million contract and voids guaranteed money.If true, it was a prudent move by Seattle, realizing the suspension risk inherent in locking up a player who had already run afoul of the league's personal conduct policy. The Seahawks brass may have to confer with ownership to determine the future of their offensive focal point after his recent DUI. The contract Lynch signed in March contains $17 million in guarantees. Rookie Robert Turbin should be owned in all fantasy leagues while we await Lynch's fate with the organization and the NFL.
Dude should have quit drinking for 17 mil. This has to be huge news right? I mean what does seattle do, can they back out of the contract, trade him, restructure, cut him?
Impossible to say without knowing how it was all set up, but my guess would be they would drastically reduce the guaranteed portion at least (if they can).

Rotoworld

Dude should have quit drinking for 17 mil. This has to be huge news right? I mean what does seattle do, can they back out of the contract, trade him, restructure, cut him?
Impossible to say without knowing how it was all set up, but my guess would be they would drastically reduce the guaranteed portion at least (if they can).
If they void the K would he be a free agent? That would be kinda nuts.

Rotoworld

Technically yea, but realistically I can't see them doing that. Lynch was a vital part of their offense last year and with their still questionable passing game, they will need Lynch. I'd imagine they could tinker with his contract in some capacity but i'm not even sure they'd go down that path. Washington, Lumpkin, and Turbin are not the answer. At least at this point.

Rotoworld

Technically yea, but realistically I can't see them doing that. Lynch was a vital part of their offense last year and with their still questionable passing game, they will need Lynch. I'd imagine they could tinker with his contract in some capacity but i'm not even sure they'd go down that path. Washington, Lumpkin, and Turbin are not the answer. At least at this point.
restructuring would be best for both sides, BUT is marshawn the type of guy that would hold out if he was offered a lot less? just a crappy situation for seattle.if they are going to make a move on a guy like grant or benson they would probably do it soon because camp is right around the corner.

Rotoworld

An NFL executive tells ESPN's Ross Tucker a suspension for conduct detrimental or substance abuse defaults Marshawn Lynch's four-year, $31 million contract and voids guaranteed money.

If true, it was a prudent move by Seattle, realizing the suspension risk inherent in locking up a player who had already run afoul of the league's personal conduct policy. The Seahawks brass may have to confer with ownership to determine the future of their offensive focal point after his recent DUI. The contract Lynch signed in March contains $17 million in guarantees. Rookie Robert Turbin should be owned in all fantasy leagues while we await Lynch's fate with the organization and the NFL.
per Ross Tucker of ESPN:

Uh-oh, Marshawn. An NFL exec told me suspension for conduct detrimental/substance abuse defaults contract & voids guarantee.

For Marshawn Lynch, that is $17M on the contract he signed in March. OUCH!
There's the rub I guess. If they pick up somebody or one of these guys on the roster shows something pretty good, how coud the organization NOT think heavily about putting the kabosh on this guaranteed jack? After all, it was obviously in their mind enough to be sure to put the provision in the contract so it can't be like this is a new subject to them. For them to have that in the contract suggests someone has thought about this a lot already. Pure seculation, but it could be a matter of someone said at some point in time "the only way we offer this contract is if we protect urselves by doing this...".

The craziest thing about all this is you have a guy that signed a contract with so much money and $17M guaranteed. He KNEW that. And he knew what would unravel it. How can a guy with that knowledge not be sitting somewhere and saying AS SOON AS the first beer coes to the table "hold up. I gotta make a call and get a driver." Dude!

I believe what this means is if Seattle want to cut ties with him from this point on they can, but I don't see how they could force him to repay what they already gave him. It sounds like his deal featured the following: a $6 million signing bonus, $4 million in guaranteed 2012 salary, and $6 million in 2013 salary. I would guess that means the Seahawks could opt to cut him and NOT have to pay him that $10 million in 2012 and 2013 salary. Again, I am no lawyer, but I would guess he would get to keep the signing bonus. If so, I don't see Seattle being so eager to cut ties with him and give him a free $6 million.

I believe what this means is if Seattle want to cut ties with him from this point on they can, but I don't see how they could force him to repay what they already gave him. It sounds like his deal featured the following: a $6 million signing bonus, $4 million in guaranteed 2012 salary, and $6 million in 2013 salary. I would guess that means the Seahawks could opt to cut him and NOT have to pay him that $10 million in 2012 and 2013 salary. Again, I am no lawyer, but I would guess he would get to keep the signing bonus. If so, I don't see Seattle being so eager to cut ties with him and give him a free $6 million.
Different circumstances, but the Dolphins were able to recover 8.6 mil of a signing bonus from Ricky Williams. If his conduct voids the contract, I would think they would have a chance to recover that signing bonus.

Different circumstances, but the Dolphins were able to recover 8.6 mil of a signing bonus from Ricky Williams. If his conduct voids the contract, I would think they would have a chance to recover that signing bonus.
IIRC, RW opted to retire, so he was the one that effectively opted out of the contract and left the Dolphins hanging. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Same thing with Barry Sanders. He only played one of the 6 years he was signed for, so a judge ruled since he voluntarily backed out, he had to return 5/6th of the signing bonus.In Lynch's case, we obviously don't know the full extent of the langauge and what Lynch agreed to, but a signing bonus is tough for a team to get that back. There may be language in there that says Lynch has to return his bonus on a schedule or a pro rata basis depending upon how many years he played on the contract. I guess we'll find out at some point.

I don't know if the NFL will view a DUI (which most times falls under the league's substance abuse policy) compared to felony gun possession and a hit and run incident. If this is considered a strike in the league's substance abuse policy, Lynch may not have any other strikes.

I doubt Lynch will get a 6-8 game suspension. I would guess he will get 3-4 games and then have one game reduced on appeal.
I've heard that as well. If it does, can Goodell double dip on the suspension. In other words, if he is only subject to a small suspension under the substance abuse rules, can Goodell cite the conduct policy and tack on more?

I don't know if the NFL will view a DUI (which most times falls under the league's substance abuse policy) compared to felony gun possession and a hit and run incident. If this is considered a strike in the league's substance abuse policy, Lynch may not have any other strikes.

I doubt Lynch will get a 6-8 game suspension. I would guess he will get 3-4 games and then have one game reduced on appeal.
:goodposting:

I've heard that as well. If it does, can Goodell double dip on the suspension. In other words, if he is only subject to a small suspension under the substance abuse rules, can Goodell cite the conduct policy and tack on more?
Per the CBA rules on substance abuse, if Lynch was a first time offender (and I don't believe there is even a way to look it up), the league should not be able to suspend him for that. To briefly recap the league's substance abuse policy (unless it changed with last year's new CBA),- First strike, mandatory enrollment in the league's substance abuse counseling program, no suspension.

- Second strike, 4 game suspension. Potentially 6 games if he did other things that did not comply.

- Third strike, minimum yearlong suspension and the player has to ask for reinstatement.

However, the strikes carry a shelf life, meaning that if a player continues to go to counseling and stays clean, after a certain point the strikes go away. I believe that is a two year cycle, but I can't remember exactly.

As far as Lynch goes, Goodell has made use of the conduct unbecoming clause, and that's where he would likely strike again this time. Given that the league SEEMS to view a player's first DUI or drug related infraction as a less severe offense, that MAY enter into the penalty phase this time.

However, IIRC, in the past Lynch was investigated for:

Sexual assault and domestic violence (case dropped and never charged)

Hit and run (plead guilty to failure to exercise due care to avoid striking a pedestrian)

Possession of marijuana and felony gun possession (reduced to 3 misdeamonr charges with no drug charges filed).

Stealing money from the wife of a police officer (no charges ever filed)

I don't know what Goodell will do this go round, but that's an outline of Lynch's police blotter.

:goodposting:
Agree here also.The 3 years between incidents has to be considered as well as the fact that this is Lynch's first substance related incident with the law.

I think the precedent for first time DUI offenses is a league fine...in fact, I would not be at all surprised if that is the only repercussion Lynch faces.

With the Vilma lawsuit hanging out there and the ill will from the NFLPA Goodell has curried with his heavy handed tactics, this may be the perfect opportunity for Rog to lay down something of an olive branch.

In no way am I trying to minimize the seriousness of what Lynch is being accused of, but, for me, I simply can't see this rising to the level of more than a couple of games, if any.

Regardless, I imagine that in this situation the outcome of the case will have to be decided before Goodell acts. If the charges end up being diverted or dropped, ala Eric Wright, that's just more fuel for the NFLPA's fire if Lynch is suspended before the legal outcome is determined.

Per the CBA rules on substance abuse, if Lynch was a first time offender (and I don't believe there is even a way to look it up), the league should not be able to suspend him for that. To briefly recap the league's substance abuse policy (unless it changed with last year's new CBA),- First strike, mandatory enrollment in the league's substance abuse counseling program, no suspension.

- Second strike, 4 game suspension. Potentially 6 games if he did other things that did not comply.

- Third strike, minimum yearlong suspension and the player has to ask for reinstatement.

However, the strikes carry a shelf life, meaning that if a player continues to go to counseling and stays clean, after a certain point the strikes go away. I believe that is a two year cycle, but I can't remember exactly.

As far as Lynch goes, Goodell has made use of the conduct unbecoming clause, and that's where he would likely strike again this time. Given that the league SEEMS to view a player's first DUI or drug related infraction as a less severe offense, that MAY enter into the penalty phase this time.

Hit and run (plead guilty to failure to exercise due care to avoid striking a pedestrian)

Possession of marijuana and felony gun possession (reduced to 3 misdeamonr charges with no drug charges filed).

I don't know what Goodell will do this go round, but that's an outline of Lynch's police blotter.
Yeah, I'm mainly wondering if it's an either / or situation. If it's covered by substance abuse rules, is Goodell even allowed to do anything under the personal conduct policy?

Yeah, I'm mainly wondering if it's an either / or situation. If it's covered by substance abuse rules, is Goodell even allowed to do anything under the personal conduct policy?
Conduct unbecoming is the catch all method that was written into the rules to allow commissioners a broad brush to pursue disciplinary action against players. However, it's very vague and ambiguous, does not really outline any situations when the commissioner can step in, and does not specify what the penalties might be. It's basically a get out of jail free pass for the commissioner to wield as he sees fit.So to answer your question, Goodell certainly can opt to play that card, and it would be up to the NFLPA to scream bloody murder as a response if that were the commissioner's justification for a suspension. I can't remember if there is a precident already out there where a player had legal issues followed up with a pending DUI charge (which may not even stick for all we know). Most repeat offenders in a criminal vein had bigger and bolder charges attached to their name. I can't recall a similar situation off the top of my head.

there's an entry in the NFL personal-conduct policy that also may apply in this case: "Persons who have had previous violations of law or of this policy may be considered repeat offenders."That comes from PFT's Mike Florio.

I think the rose-colored glasses/optimists/homers/lawyaer wannabes may be picking nits on both sides of this but what it will eventually come down is the not-oft beaten "eyeball test". Common sense dictates in this case that this is a besmirchment of the Shield's image and all these things past and present are close enough to say "looks like a duck, quacks like a duck". I expect nothing less than 4 games, with citing of "ongoing and/or repeated behavior". In fact, I think that because of the nit picking in a situation like this, it has the potential to be even worse for Lynch because Its reasonable that Lynch's side will make the same type of argument being discussed here. So, does that make the commissioner more inclined to go heavier on the penalty, cite a repeat, with anticipation that it will be appealed and he can drop a game or two off of it and still get what he intended?

i'm not saying that will happen or that's even the mind-set but what I do KNOW is that, in the Roger Goodell era, the players in the league are "0-for" when it comes to staining the image of the NFL. He comes down hard and always seems to have ALL the angles figured out. People need to quit fighting it and just appreciate how smooth this guy is. If common sense tells you it was a screw up, then let common sense tell you that there is a price to pay.

The lawyer or Lynch said today he blew a .08 and feels the case could get thrown out in court. :banned:
The attorney for Marshawn Lynch believes his client's DUI has a good chance to be thrown out due to "discrepancies" in BAC tests.Per attorney Ivan Golde, Lynch was at 0.08 -- the California legal limit -- during a preliminary alcohol screening performed by officers. Later retested at the Alameda County (CA) jail, Lynch blew higher than a 0.08. "We think we have a really strong case," Golde declared. It's the attorney's job to think that, of course. Lynch's next court date is scheduled for August 14

I mentioned it only because Imthescientist was and is continuing to make a big deal about .09 not being the same as .15, my point being we don't know that he was .09, .15, .20, or something else. Your reply implies that my post suggests I was downplaying the significance of the matter. Quite the opposite. Yes, he broke the law and put lives in danger, regardless of the level above .08. That IS my point throughout this thread.And anyone (like Imthescientist) treating it as though Lynch driving the freeway drunk is less of a big deal if it was "only" .09 obviously has never had a close friend or family member killed by a drunk driver.
I accept your apology.
The attorney for Marshawn Lynch believes his client's DUI has a good chance to be thrown out due to "discrepancies" in BAC tests.Per attorney Ivan Golde, Lynch was at 0.08 -- the California legal limit -- during a preliminary alcohol screening performed by officers. Later retested at the Alameda County (CA) jail, Lynch blew higher than a 0.08. "We think we have a really strong case," Golde declared. It's the attorney's job to think that, of course. Lynch's next court date is scheduled for August 14.

Didn't the same thing happen with Blackmon and it was basically explained as him still having alcohol in his system that hadnt entered his bloodstream yet?

FWIW, Chris Mortensen sounds pretty certain that Lynch isn't subject to personal conduct policy repercussions.

Seems to more or less indicate he is facing a fine but not a suspension.

I have no dog in the fight and don't know if Mort is correct or not. Thought I'd share it tho.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8177533/marshawn-lynch-seattle-seahawks-officially-charged-dui
John Clayton was just saying the same thing on local radio. Clayton said even if he was the case probably won't be heard till later in the season and he doesn't expect anything more than a fine. :banned:

From Lynch's Lawyer on the radio:

More from Lynch's lawyer: Lynch blew .08 at the scene 15 minutes after being pulled over. He blew .10 at the station 1 hour and 15 min later. Therefore he was below .08 while driving.

Found this on Rising BAC Defense. Seems legit.

http://www.duicentral.com/dui/faqs/rising_bac_defense.html

Looking forward to seeing you play all 16 Games Beast Mode!!

Are people really celebrating blowing a .08?

I think he gets a couple games. He hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

FWIW, Chris Mortensen sounds pretty certain that Lynch isn't subject to personal conduct policy repercussions.

I have no dog in the fight and don't know if Mort is correct or not. Thought I'd share it tho.

http://espn.go.com/n...lly-charged-dui
John Clayton was just saying the same thing on local radio. Clayton said even if he was the case probably won't be heard till later in the season and he doesn't expect anything more than a fine. :banned:

More from Lynch's lawyer: Lynch blew .08 at the scene 15 minutes after being pulled over. He blew .10 at the station 1 hour and 15 min later. Therefore he was below .08 while driving.

http://www.duicentra...ac_defense.html

Do you not realize you can get a DUI even if you are under .08? If it has influenced his driving, like say, swerving between lanes, he can still get convicted of DUI.

Do you not realize you can get a DUI even if you are under .08? If it has influenced his driving, like say, swerving between lanes, he can still get convicted of DUI.
Yes, I do realize that. Do you realize that the report of "Swerving between Lanes" was what the CHP said? Doesn't mean it is true. Those cares are all equipped with cameras. Lynch's lawyer said he would challenge that report as well and they will see what the tape really reviles. God I hope people don't believe everything Cops write down.

Yes, I do realize that. Do you realize that the report of "Swerving between Lanes" was what the CHP said? Doesn't mean it is true. Those cares are all equipped with cameras. Lynch's lawyer said he would challenge that report as well and they will see what the tape really reviles. God I hope people don't believe everything Cops write down.
looks like someone already drafted beast mode ore has him in dynasty...i thought scientists were supposed to be unbiased

Wonder how far this drops his ADP short term. I'm thinking 4th round until people realize he'll only miss a couple games, if any at all. His ADP might probably settle back into late 2nd or the 3rd once people hear confirmation.

As for handcuffs, everyone's quick to anoint Turbin but I don't see a clear handcuff in SEA as of right now.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hoosier16 said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'treat88 said:

:lmao:

Yeah, those cops are all out to get us.

Maybe it's all an elaborate conspiracy to enable him to buy low on Lynch.

'treat88 said:
FWIW, Chris Mortensen sounds pretty certain that Lynch isn't subject to personal conduct policy repercussions.Seems to more or less indicate he is facing a fine but not a suspension.I have no dog in the fight and don't know if Mort is correct or not. Thought I'd share it tho.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8177533/marshawn-lynch-seattle-seahawks-officially-charged-dui
Which is one of my main problems with Goodell's punishments.As many of these guys that get busted for DUI's and are putting themselves and others in danger...and they don't punish it harsh enough in the NFL.Even after one of its players killed a person while drunk driving.

As many of these guys that get busted for DUI's and are putting themselves and others in danger...and they don't punish it harsh enough in the NFL.Even after one of its players killed a person while drunk driving.
He was below .08 when he was driving. Please, lets not act like he was at .20.

As many of these guys that get busted for DUI's and are putting themselves and others in danger...and they don't punish it harsh enough in the NFL.Even after one of its players killed a person while drunk driving.
Whatever you say...you can try arguing he was not endangering himself and others all you want...you are just coming off as completely foolish in this thread.

Whatever you say...you can try arguing he was not endangering himself and others all you want...you are just coming off as completely foolish in this thread.
Im more concerned over people texting and driving, someone talking on their cell phone and driving, or a teenage driver then someone at .08. If .08 was truly endangering people's lives that would not be the minimum legal limit. While you should never drink and drive I feel many are being unrealistic about his specific case. Im sorry I don't agree with you? I guess that makes me foolish. :violin:

Im more concerned over people texting and driving, someone talking on their cell phone and driving, or a teenage driver then someone at .08. If .08 was truly endangering people's lives that would not be the minimum legal limit. While you should never drink and drive I feel many are being unrealistic about his specific case. Im sorry I don't agree with you? I guess that makes me foolish. :violin:
Well, texting and talking while driving has absolutely nothing to do with this...take it to the FFA to complain about that.That you just take the agents story and not the whole story and keep defending him is laughable and what makes you foolish.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Hoosier16 said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'treat88 said:

:lmao:

Yeah, those cops are all out to get us.

Maybe it's all an elaborate conspiracy to enable him to buy low on Lynch.
Obviously they are not all out to get us, but I had the same thought as the other guy when I read "swerving between lanes". Cops are not immune from hyperbole. A buddy and I got pulled over in high school with some sticky in the car. It was maybe a quarter of regs, but he told my buddy's mom it wasn't the normal kind, it was the "fry your brain" kind. :rolleyes: That was not the only time I've heard a cop exaggerate. And to some extent, it's their job. What are they supposed to write down? "Suspect blew a 0.10 but was driving perfectly so we actually pulled him over based solely on racial profiling." I'm not saying that's what this is at all, but just saying to take the police report with a grain of salt. Those "near misses" they mention were probably not half as bad as what we'll see some jerk pull today on the drive home.

Dude is going to miss some games. The August 14th hearing will determine how many. Even if he gets off, he will probably miss games.

Users who are viewing this thread