What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McNabb - What to do with him (1 Viewer)

Rounders

Footballguy
At the risk of making this a WDIS thread. I wanted to gather some feedback about McNabb. I took a gamble and drafted him as my #1 QB. Well that hasn't worked out through 2 games so far.

QB Rating: 68.6

Yards: 424

TD: 1

Int: 1

Comp Pct 54.4

Is it time to bench McNabb until he shows us that he can play at a high level again? Do we ride it out with a nice schedule coming up that includes DET & NYG in the next two games? If we do bench him, who are the kind of QBs that we are playing in his place?

What say you?

At the risk of making this a WDIS thread. I wanted to gather some feedback about McNabb. I took a gamble and drafted him as my #1 QB. Well that hasn't worked out through 2 games so far. QB Rating: 68.6Yards: 424TD: 1Int: 1Comp Pct 54.4Is it time to bench McNabb until he shows us that he can play at a high level again? Do we ride it out with a nice schedule coming up that includes DET & NYG in the next two games? If we do bench him, who are the kind of QBs that we are playing in his place?What say you?
If he's gonna get straightened out those are the two best teams to face. Both have horrendous pass defenses.

McNabb suffered a very bad knee injury. Its gonna take him time to knock the rust off. Palmer started the first half slowly as well. The question is can you afford to be patient with him at this time? He does have a very nice schedule in the next 2 games so thats a plus.

I'm thinking about benching him and going with Delhomme but my fear is that he'll get it right vs the Lions while Delhomme comes back to earth in week 3.

piston pete griffin said:
I'm thinking about benching him and going with Delhomme but my fear is that he'll get it right vs the Lions while Delhomme comes back to earth in week 3.
I'm in the exact same situation. Luckily the rest of my team has picked up the slack and I'm sitting at 2-0 with the most points scored in Wk1 and Wk2 despite McNabb starting and Delhomme on my bench, but this week facing another 2-0 teams whose scored the 2nd most points Wk2 and 3rd most Wk1, so every point is going to count. The fourth quarter did show some signs of life for McNabb, my concern is that they can't get the ball into the endzone.

piston pete griffin said:
I'm in the exact same situation. Luckily the rest of my team has picked up the slack and I'm sitting at 2-0 with the most points scored in Wk1 and Wk2 despite McNabb starting and Delhomme on my bench, but this week facing another 2-0 teams whose scored the 2nd most points Wk2 and 3rd most Wk1, so every point is going to count. The fourth quarter did show some signs of life for McNabb, my concern is that they can't get the ball into the endzone.
I'm in the opposite situation. I'm 0-2 to start the season and I have an huge divisional game this week. My head is telling me to bench him until he proves that he's worthy, but my gut says that the matchups are just what he needs to get back on track.

I'm waiting for the first good game in redraft before I try to move him. In dynasty I'm stuck, unfortunately.

Andy Reid takes him for granted, he expects him to do WAY too much. He needs to balance things out w/ the run like he did for Garcia. Philly fans were never really big supporters of his anyhow, with a young QB breathing down his neck, I don't think McNabb finishes the season as the starter.

I'm waiting for the first good game in redraft before I try to move him. In dynasty I'm stuck, unfortunately.
i've had delhomme, and the owner of McNabb hasn't even played him, has peyton, long story, but regardless i'm lookin to pick up McNabb bargain basement prices, but still on the bubble of whether its worth the risk or not down the stretch? i dont want him to "come-back" vs. detroit and have his price shoot up...i was at the game last night and he just looked dreadful, like really really bad...the line has been severely underachieving giving him no time, theyre supposed to be really good...dont now whats going on there...but McNabb let me down, i've been a pro-McNabb guy forever, and last night i honestly questioned it for the first time...i'm just scared of the Detroit game...its a make or break game for him, if he no-shows i honestly don't know what the eagles do moving forward, just bleed slowly i suppose, as far as fantasy, the homer in me wants me to get him on my bench for cheap, and play delhomme till McNabb comes back, delhomme goes down...but my gut tells me its not even worth the RB depth it would cost

i've been a pro-McNabb guy forever, and last night i honestly questioned it for the first time.
i am in the same boat, but just try to remember that mcnabb has had strange accuracy problems in the past and has gotten things straightened out. well, he has never been consistantly accurate, but he has had games like last night and bounced back from them before. i'm giving him the detroit game to get it back on track. if he doesnt, then i will consider putting him on the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked gimpy at times yesterday but definitely got in a rhythm in the second half. I think he'll be fine.

I know the "black QB scrutinty" comment is moved to the Free for All... but from a FANTASY perspective, I'd be concerned that this becomes a small whirlwind, and thusly a distraction.... as the media pins their ears back, get defensive. Much less fans turning on him, a la a little malcontention of sorts.

0-2 in Philly with two 2-0 teams above you... going to Green Bay. Their season could end on Sunday. Seriously.

$.02...

What do you do?

Very tough spot.

If you have him, you obviously spent what now is a way to high of a draft pick on him. Everyone knows they are 0-2. Everyone knows that at least part of that reason is either he's rusty, still banged up or you can blame his receivers. Any of those reasons mean he's not getting fantasy points.

So.......

You either hold on to him and complain on here every week that he's not getting the job done or

You make a calculated risk and drop to shop him now what in your mind is damaged goods and go after someone you see is potential.

You're not getting Bulger, Brady, Manning, Kitna or Romo for this guy. You can try, you can wait 2 to 3 days for a response from the owner to find out it's not getting done.

If you indeed want to trade him, you need to dig deep and try to find someone you think you can get and will get you more points than McNabb. That's the bottom line here. Don't worry about where you drafted him now, that's over. You need to focus on what points he's going to get and who you're after.

That really is your call. You may be able to get a Matt Schaub. Before the draft that would be comical.........but you know what. I'm not going to be surprised if in 15 weeks Schaub has more points than McNabb now. You may be able to get Ben Rothlisberger......you'd definately get Campbell or possibly Garrard.

Those are the types of guys you could get. You aren't going to get the Palmer's of the world. If you don't like those guys I mentioned, you're stuck with him. If you don't want to be stuck, think about who you want to go with out of that group and make a move.

I know the "black QB scrutinty" comment is moved to the Free for All... but from a FANTASY perspective, I'd be concerned that this becomes a small whirlwind, and thusly a distraction.... as the media pins their ears back, get defensive. Much less fans turning on him, a la a little malcontention of sorts.

0-2 in Philly with two 2-0 teams above you... going to Green Bay. Their season could end on Sunday. Seriously.

$.02...
They play DET

I think McNabb's struggles are 90% mental. He had a major knee injury that is probably distracting him, even if it feels relatively healthy. The team drafted a potential replacement for him and he's not happy about it. He feels like he doesn't get enough respect from the fans, and even pulls the race card out.

McNabb strikes me as a guy who can go into a slump because he's thinking too much and it's spiraling out of control. Last year during A-Rod's slump Yankee fans booed him, which I always thought made it worse, cause A-Rod is another one who I believe can be mentally distracted from the game. Until McNabb settles down and is able to concentrate on the moment and not feel all this pressure, I don't think he'll break out. Although the moment he has a great game it could all come off his shoulders and he could be a fantasy force again...

my .02

We wouldn't be having this thread if he were white. Where is the Harrington-what to do with him thread?

:)

yesitsme said:
What do you do?Very tough spot.If you have him, you obviously spent what now is a way to high of a draft pick on him. Everyone knows they are 0-2. Everyone knows that at least part of that reason is either he's rusty, still banged up or you can blame his receivers. Any of those reasons mean he's not getting fantasy points.So.......You either hold on to him and complain on here every week that he's not getting the job done orYou make a calculated risk and drop to shop him now what in your mind is damaged goods and go after someone you see is potential.You're not getting Bulger, Brady, Manning, Kitna or Romo for this guy. You can try, you can wait 2 to 3 days for a response from the owner to find out it's not getting done.If you indeed want to trade him, you need to dig deep and try to find someone you think you can get and will get you more points than McNabb. That's the bottom line here. Don't worry about where you drafted him now, that's over. You need to focus on what points he's going to get and who you're after.That really is your call. You may be able to get a Matt Schaub. Before the draft that would be comical.........but you know what. I'm not going to be surprised if in 15 weeks Schaub has more points than McNabb now. You may be able to get Ben Rothlisberger......you'd definately get Campbell or possibly Garrard.Those are the types of guys you could get. You aren't going to get the Palmer's of the world. If you don't like those guys I mentioned, you're stuck with him. If you don't want to be stuck, think about who you want to go with out of that group and make a move.
:) This is the reality of the situation right now. IMO, I think you wait until he has a good game, evaluate your league and see if you can/want to move him for what you think is fair.

McNabb's struggles may be partly psychological as one poster pointed out.

Maybe his mechanics are out of tune because his leg feels different.

Maybe his receivers aren't seperating enough.

IMO it's likely a combination of factors at play.

I've had McNabb in a keeper from year one, and bottom line to me is that this doesn't look like a small issue.

Even if Detroit is a tasty match-up, I can't imagine McNabb lighting up anyone this weekend.

He's going to my bench until I see differently. Meanwhile, I'll consider whether I should pursue trading him.

I was all set to bench McNabb for Roethlisberger until further notice...until I saw McNabb plays Detroit. I feel like even a gimpy McNabb with poor pass protection and mediocre WRs can put up numbers on the Lions "defense". I'll probably end up flipping a coin.

We wouldn't be having this thread if he were white. Where is the Harrington-what to do with him thread?

:)
Nobody picked Harrington as their starting QB in round 5 :lmao:
I haven't seen a "Brees - What to do with him" thread either :goodposting: Edit to add: I just looked at my league site and the QBs immediately below mcnabb in the standings are Philip Rivers and Drew Brees. :lmao:

Andy Reid takes him for granted, he expects him to do WAY too much. He needs to balance things out w/ the run like he did for Garcia. Philly fans were never really big supporters of his anyhow, with a young QB breathing down his neck, I don't think McNabb finishes the season as the starter.
Is Kolb white? Are McNabb's comments some sort of pre-emptive strike to keep him in the starter's spot all year?I honestly can't see McNabb get benched. Reid is in the Holmgren mode of sticking with a guy through struggles and with the WCO, few rookies are going to come in and be effective. You're 100% right about the running game, without seeing the stats, it seemed to me that they threw much more than ran and that's key to making the Philly QB work. He also needs a little more time to get used to Curtis, as they were just off on a few plays early on and seemed to be much mor ein sync on the final drive. WCO is all about timing and McNabb was and is still getting used to playing at 75-80% through TC and now. I really think he'll start pulling things together as he gets more confidence in himself and Curtis and a healthy Smith wouldn't hurt either.One thing's for sure though, he should keep his mouth shut and concentrate on the game. I'm not saying he's wrong about black QBs because I have no idea if it's true or not. I know I could care less what color their skin is and prior to last year if you asked me which QB took the most crap despite being good it would've been Manning. And quite frankly it's the other Manning that I think has the biggest burdn on his shoulders this year. So I'm quite confused about his latest comments and look forward to seeing the interview.

yesitsme said:
What do you do?Very tough spot.If you have him, you obviously spent what now is a way to high of a draft pick on him. Everyone knows they are 0-2. Everyone knows that at least part of that reason is either he's rusty, still banged up or you can blame his receivers. Any of those reasons mean he's not getting fantasy points.So.......You either hold on to him and complain on here every week that he's not getting the job done orYou make a calculated risk and drop to shop him now what in your mind is damaged goods and go after someone you see is potential.You're not getting Bulger, Brady, Manning, Kitna or Romo for this guy. You can try, you can wait 2 to 3 days for a response from the owner to find out it's not getting done.If you indeed want to trade him, you need to dig deep and try to find someone you think you can get and will get you more points than McNabb. That's the bottom line here. Don't worry about where you drafted him now, that's over. You need to focus on what points he's going to get and who you're after.That really is your call. You may be able to get a Matt Schaub. Before the draft that would be comical.........but you know what. I'm not going to be surprised if in 15 weeks Schaub has more points than McNabb now. You may be able to get Ben Rothlisberger......you'd definately get Campbell or possibly Garrard.Those are the types of guys you could get. You aren't going to get the Palmer's of the world. If you don't like those guys I mentioned, you're stuck with him. If you don't want to be stuck, think about who you want to go with out of that group and make a move.
This is very solid analysis and a good strategy, but it assumes that you didn't draft adequate backups for McNabb. I did in my redraft league (Romo; Campbell), so where I would want to upgrade is a different position, in my case likely WR. That makes things more tricky, but as with your Schaub example, there have to be some moderately priced but promising WR's our there. I have one on my team already who'd fit that in Santonio Holmes.

yesitsme said:
This is very solid analysis and a good strategy, but it assumes that you didn't draft adequate backups for McNabb. I did in my redraft league (Romo; Campbell), so where I would want to upgrade is a different position, in my case likely WR. That makes things more tricky, but as with your Schaub example, there have to be some moderately priced but promising WR's our there. I have one on my team already who'd fit that in Santonio Holmes.
If that's the case your best bet is proably to go after someone who is equally disappointing that you think will bounce back and help you in the long run...maybe someone like lee evans, or like you said, someone else who was drafted late and is doing well that you think can sustain it - you might get someone thinking they are "selling high." Another approach might be to go after an underperforming RB that might be a bit more tradeable down the road like maybe a thomas jones.

My plan right now is play him against Detroit and NYG and hope he has big games...then sell him fast.

My plan right now is play him against Detroit and NYG and hope he has big games...then sell him fast.
Probably what I'm going to do too. Let's not forget that on top of his struggles, he's also been a big time injury risk. I was planning on trading him mid-season anyway.

yesitsme said:
:goodposting: This is the reality of the situation right now. IMO, I think you wait until he has a good game, evaluate your league and see if you can/want to move him for what you think is fair.
Aye, and thanksBTW, this is me when I'm at work. For whatever reason I can't get IWwanna on there and I get 10 min timeouts.

I would be worried about him long term.

He looked way off his game last night.

If he explodes next week, trade him immediately after the game.

His best days may sadly be behind him.

McNabb is not who I'm worried about. It's his WR's who can't get open or seperate in bump and run coverage. Teams are going to play that a lot on them and blitz McNabb if they watched the first two games. None of his WR's are fast, not even Curtis is that fast. None are particularly quick either. They need to run them in motion or something to get them open quickly and away from aggressive corners. They showed it several times last night that they were just not open!

He's not 100% yet. I think we are looking at his floor right now and he will only get better. I'll suffer through for now and hope my other guys can pull me through, and hope McNabb steps it up come play off time.

McNabb looks hobbled by his knee. He can't run or plant his leg like he used to. His accuracy is way down, and the injury has affected his judgement (he's thinking too much). He'll have some good games, but the inconsistency is going to kill your team.

At age 30 it takes longer to recover from an ACL. He came back too soon. For those trying to compare him to Palmer, remember Palmer is younger and has less wear and tear on his knee.

I put myself in a position where I can't really do anything but start him and hope for something positive going forward. It's obvious now that he came back too soon and he's still not comfortable on that knee. Between him and Jacobs my team is sinking :)

Teams are honoring his pass skills and not his running skills. His passing success depends on his mobility, and he's not there yet to where he was before the injury. Next two games are not the best time to bench him. My 3 cents.

He better get well soon... cause a 1-4 Philly team, reaction to his comments and swirl thereof, health, Philly fans.... grab that rudder pilot, otherwise that plane could spiral.

I used to think Donovan was the good guy across a number of "instances"... but after sometime, why does controversy follow this cat year-in year-out?

We wouldn't be having this thread if he were white. Where is the Harrington-what to do with him thread? :lmao:
Nobody picked Harrington as their starting QB in round 5 :P
Ok. How about Drew Brees?
Two QBs ranked in the top 5 preseason (McNabb and Brees), who breaks out of the early season slump to have the best year?I have not watched any Saints games but after watching the Eagles on Monday night, it doesn't look good for McNabb. Even if he improves his accuracy, will the WR do much? Plus he won't be getting those extra rushing points.

McNabb was traded in one of my leagues today for Ahman Green and Derrick Ward.

A bit of info for those interested.

Da Guru said:
Rounders said:
At the risk of making this a WDIS thread. I wanted to gather some feedback about McNabb. I took a gamble and drafted him as my #1 QB. Well that hasn't worked out through 2 games so far.

QB Rating: 68.6

Yards: 424

TD: 1

Int: 1

Comp Pct 54.4

Is it time to bench McNabb until he shows us that he can play at a high level again? Do we ride it out with a nice schedule coming up that includes DET & NYG in the next two games? If we do bench him, who are the kind of QBs that we are playing in his place?

What say you?
These sound like racists remarks...
There are several threads about McNabb and the HBO race thing elsewhere. Please keep this one on football. TIA.J

A a QB can "get well" quickly against those 2 teams. Personally he just looks rusty and hobbling to me. Last week he had few receivers open deep and had to dump off a lot of passes due to the defense. As an NFL fan I'd give him half a season to see how he looks before deciding if he's definitely "back" or "declining". For fantasy ball I'd start someone else until he looks better.

shakeybarn said:
He better get well soon... cause a 1-4 Philly team, reaction to his comments and swirl thereof, health, Philly fans.... grab that rudder pilot, otherwise that plane could spiral.

I used to think Donovan was the good guy across a number of "instances"... but after sometime, why does controversy follow this cat year-in year-out?
Because he is in Philly

Users who are viewing this thread