What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Vick gets hit late all the time anybody cant see that youre bl (1 Viewer)

His complaining shows that the hits are getting in his head. I expect it to get worse, so he'll probably get more flags, then he'll be happy.

'GroveDiesel said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
Sal thinks so and I also feel that hit where he almost had his helmet come off and reached for his head...if that hit happens on Tom Brady a yellow flag is thrown immediately.
Well, both Mike Golic and Merril Hoge have disagreed with Vick and Sal so far this morning. And with Sal being a Philly guy, I think taking his bias into account is probably proper.
Ditka agreed pretty strongly that Vick does not get the calls that "all the other Qbs get."FWIW

'TobiasFunke said:
Just want to make sure I've got this straight ...The Eagles and their fans are whining about the league's treatment of a player that wouldn't even be on their team if the league hadn't intervened on their behalf when that player was a free agent, right? Same guy?Awesome.
*CHUCKLE*

'GroveDiesel said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
Sal thinks so and I also feel that hit where he almost had his helmet come off and reached for his head...if that hit happens on Tom Brady a yellow flag is thrown immediately.
Well, both Mike Golic and Merril Hoge have disagreed with Vick and Sal so far this morning. And with Sal being a Philly guy, I think taking his bias into account is probably proper.
Ditka agreed pretty strongly that Vick does not get the calls that "all the other Qbs get."FWIW
And Dilfer said Vick doesn't get unfair treatment. Went on to say QBs he's spoken to from the 80's and 90's think the new QB protection rules have taken away part of what separated the elite QBs from the rest, the ability to take hit after hit and still step up and deliver the ball when you know another hit is coming. But that's about the rules, the issue of Vick getting different treatment? I don't know, I haven't viewed enough games to see how they are calling it this year. It's been said they aren't going to throw a flag as often as last year when any contact to the head was flagged.

good move by Vick , Now that the refs are on the spotlight , expect flags to fly if anyone comes within 3 ft of him

good move by Vick , Now that the refs are on the spotlight , expect flags to fly if anyone comes within 3 ft of him
The NFL may review to see if he has a legit complaint but they won't want to create the precedent that a player can complain and cause refs to drastically change how they call a game.

'GroveDiesel said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
And Dilfer said Vick doesn't get unfair treatment. Went on to say QBs he's spoken to from the 80's and 90's think the new QB protection rules have taken away part of what separated the elite QBs from the rest, the ability to take hit after hit and still step up and deliver the ball when you know another hit is coming. But that's about the rules, the issue of Vick getting different treatment? I don't know, I haven't viewed enough games to see how they are calling it this year. It's been said they aren't going to throw a flag as often as last year when any contact to the head was flagged.
Sure, everyone has an opinion. I was just pointing out that it's not only Philly homers who think he takes more hits that other Qbs would get calls on.In order to really give an objective opinion you'd have to watch tape of Vick and other Qbs this year and see what is and isnt being called.Either way, it doesnt really matter much in the grand scheme of things. It's something for the media to talk about this week and maybe Vick gets more of the benefit of the doubt once he returns to the lineup. But to me it's just a frustrated guy blowing off some steam. No big deal

'TobiasFunke said:
Just want to make sure I've got this straight ...

The Eagles and their fans are whining about the league's treatment of a player that wouldn't even be on their team if the league hadn't intervened on their behalf when that player was a free agent, right? Same guy?

Awesome.
'TobiasFunke said:
Report: Vick likely out through at least Week Six. Link

Tough break for the Eagles, who will likely have to play at least three games with the team they would have had if Goodell hadn't improperly intervened to steer Vick to them.
FYIIf it isn't funny the first time it will not be funny the second.

:reported:

'Dizzy said:
'dawhole9 said:
'Dizzy said:
What's with the sudden shock about Mike Vick being injury prone. He's always been reckless, small, and skinny... that doesn't change now that he's older and a little slower.Dream Team! :banned:
He got hurt in the pocket Einstein, both injuries.
Correct. Being small and skinny don't help you there either.Shouldn't you be changing your avatar?
And your name - to Dunghole.

I've bled green since I was 6 years old and I'm not sure I saw any egregious violations of the ridiculous protections QBs get right now during yesterday's game. This is more likely just a media ploy to put pressure on the refs since teams are going to continue to blitz like crazy until Vick proves he can adjust to it meaning he's going to keep taking hits. If the team can get a few flags from it I suppose it's beneficial...

Vick is trying to change his passing style and is going through growing pains and isn't getting help he needs from our motley crew of an offensive line. In reality, he's far better being mobile and they should let him remain mobile. That's what makes him such a threat. He just needs to learn to get rid of the damn ball rather than trying to make every play a big one.

Also, it was just reported he only has a contusion and not a broken hand so that bodes well for his status but nonetheless, I very well may be yelling Kafka to Maclin! this weekend.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/09/26/reid-vick-has-hand-contusion-no-fracture

Last edited by a moderator:
The linked hit was in the grey area, IMO.

Brady, Manning, Rivers all probably get a flag there.

Vick, Roethlisberger probably don't get a flag there.

Rodgers, Brees are 50-50.

The rest of the leagues QBs won't see a flag on this play, IMO.

I think the star pocket QBs get some ticky-tack calls of roughing the passer. OTOH, the mobile QBs get fewer calls, and the non-elite guys don't get the close ones, for the most part.

Officials making calls based on a "star system" is hardly novel. Vick will continue to take borderline hits as long as he poses a threat to run, and few will be called.

I can't decide who's the bigger crybaby here ... Vick or dawhole.

Either way it's immensely entertaining.

'TobiasFunke said:
Just want to make sure I've got this straight ...

The Eagles and their fans are whining about the league's treatment of a player that wouldn't even be on their team if the league hadn't intervened on their behalf when that player was a free agent, right? Same guy?

Awesome.
'TobiasFunke said:
Report: Vick likely out through at least Week Six. Link

Tough break for the Eagles, who will likely have to play at least three games with the team they would have had if Goodell hadn't improperly intervened to steer Vick to them.
FYIIf it isn't funny the first time it will not be funny the second.

:reported:
Wasn't meant to be funny. Was meant to highlight that the Eagles and their fans are acting like whiny crybabies. Let me guess- Eagles fan? Just a guess, since you're acting like a whiny crybaby.

'dawhole9 said:
Every big play he makes in the pocket he is constantly getting pummelled every down. Its B.S Dont feed me some crap about every qb gets hit like Vick because its b.s. Nobody in the league gets hit more than Vick in the pocket and i challenge anyone to tell me otherwise.I suggest you review his games. This dude gets hit on every single throw on every single down. The refs dont throw a flag or anything. People claim hes a running back, when hes trying to pass out of the pocket. Both of his injuries happened while he was in the pocket.For people that want to say he runs around to much. On both injuries he made big plays in the air and completed them.NFL needs to take notice of this crap. If Defenses fear him this much where they have to get illegal hits on him. They must fear the guys playmaking ability.Keep this football related i dont care about his past. These refs need to treat him like a QB.
Have you ever watched a Pittsburgh game? Big Ben takes a beating in the pocket, out of the pocket wherever only difference is he man's up and doesn't whine on national tv about it.

'Nifty said:
Here is the play where Vick broke his hand. I don't know the exact definition in the late hit rule for what makes it late or not but it looks to me like the refs could have thrown a flag on this play if they wanted to.

Post Game Press Conference on broken hand
Not even close to a flag, I am a Giants fan however the time stamp on the video between the ball release and the hit is less than one second. Half a second late between ball release and hit is simply not a flag.

Add Ben to the QB you can pretty much decapitate after the play list, get over it pal, it's part of his playing style.

'dawhole9 said:
Every big play he makes in the pocket he is constantly getting pummelled every down. Its B.S Dont feed me some crap about every qb gets hit like Vick because its b.s. Nobody in the league gets hit more than Vick in the pocket and i challenge anyone to tell me otherwise.I suggest you review his games. This dude gets hit on every single throw on every single down. The refs dont throw a flag or anything. People claim hes a running back, when hes trying to pass out of the pocket. Both of his injuries happened while he was in the pocket.For people that want to say he runs around to much. On both injuries he made big plays in the air and completed them.NFL needs to take notice of this crap. If Defenses fear him this much where they have to get illegal hits on him. They must fear the guys playmaking ability.Keep this football related i dont care about his past. These refs need to treat him like a QB.
Have you ever watched a Pittsburgh game? Big Ben takes a beating in the pocket, out of the pocket wherever only difference is he man's up and doesn't whine on national tv about it.
Part of the reason that some guys take a beating is that they don't throw the ball away or go down easily. Guys like Brady, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers essentially take a knee when they're about to get sacked ... and that's only if they haven't already thrown the ball away. It's unreasonable to ask for the best of both worlds. Either the QB is different from everyone else on the field, or he isn't. He can't play like he's a running back and expect to be treated like a quarterback.

'GroveDiesel said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
It's going to be a divided issue but if you think Vick's past doesn't play a role when you had church members like Dilfer and Hoge leading the charge, c'mon. I think Dilfer was so out of line it's not funny. That guy was a hack and probably the worst QB to ever wear a Super Bowl ring and he should apologize to Vick. Look, I think the NFL is a glorified flag football game at this point but since it is and that's what we have to watch then the rules should be the same for everyone. Chad Henne got a personal foul call from the referees yesterday for a Cleveland Brown player basically grazing his helmet and then the play where Vick's helmet almost came off, you have seen that called with a yellow flag repeatedly but yet Vick didn't get the call. Dilfer has a double standard obviously and for some it seems to be justified based on the fact Vick is a felon. If Brady complains that's OK but if Vick complains then the all mighty and proper Dilfer/Hoge guys have to come up to a mic and say a bunch of BS.

I saw Brees get crushed with a helmet to helmet hit yesterday. No call.

Roethlisberger was bloodied with a cheap shot last year. No call.

But yes, Michael Vick, every QB gets protected well except you.

Let's be serious.

I'm confused what your argument is. Yes he gets hit a lot, it's because he holds the ball too long and his O line is awful. What's your point?

'GroveDiesel said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
It's going to be a divided issue but if you think Vick's past doesn't play a role when you had church members like Dilfer and Hoge leading the charge, c'mon. I think Dilfer was so out of line it's not funny. That guy was a hack and probably the worst QB to ever wear a Super Bowl ring and he should apologize to Vick.

Look, I think the NFL is a glorified flag football game at this point but since it is and that's what we have to watch then the rules should be the same for everyone. Chad Henne got a personal foul call from the referees yesterday for a Cleveland Brown player basically grazing his helmet and then the play where Vick's helmet almost came off, you have seen that called with a yellow flag repeatedly but yet Vick didn't get the call.

Dilfer has a double standard obviously and for some it seems to be justified based on the fact Vick is a felon.

If Brady complains that's OK but if Vick complains then the all mighty and proper Dilfer/Hoge guys have to come up to a mic and say a bunch of BS.
There is the difference. I don't believe I have ever heard another QB whine after a game about getting tackled. I've seen harder hits in peewee football then the one Vick is moaning about.His whining is going to incite the "D" players even more now that they know he is so easily rattled.

His hand might be ok, so it'll come down to how Vick's vag is feeling if he can play. That's a good sign, it seems that those things can take a pounding.

'GroveDiesel said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
It's going to be a divided issue but if you think Vick's past doesn't play a role when you had church members like Dilfer and Hoge leading the charge, c'mon. I think Dilfer was so out of line it's not funny. That guy was a hack and probably the worst QB to ever wear a Super Bowl ring and he should apologize to Vick.

Look, I think the NFL is a glorified flag football game at this point but since it is and that's what we have to watch then the rules should be the same for everyone. Chad Henne got a personal foul call from the referees yesterday for a Cleveland Brown player basically grazing his helmet and then the play where Vick's helmet almost came off, you have seen that called with a yellow flag repeatedly but yet Vick didn't get the call.

Dilfer has a double standard obviously and for some it seems to be justified based on the fact Vick is a felon.

If Brady complains that's OK but if Vick complains then the all mighty and proper Dilfer/Hoge guys have to come up to a mic and say a bunch of BS.
Everyone I've read or seen talk about it seems to say it's because he's such a run threat. Maybe I'm watching different channels or reading different boards than you are.

'TobiasFunke said:
Just want to make sure I've got this straight ...The Eagles and their fans are whining about the league's treatment of a player that wouldn't even be on their team if the league hadn't intervened on their behalf when that player was a free agent, right? Same guy?Awesome.
:lmao:In all seriousness though, Mangini read the stats on M&M this morning. If anything, Vick is getting preferrential treatment by the refs, as he's getting 10%+ more roughing the passer/late hit calls than the average nfl qb this season.

'netnalp said:
'tdoss said:
Him and Rothlisberger get hit late all the time...they hold onto the ball too long and are always tough to get down...so there's usually going to be an extra player or two converging on them because of that.
People would be complaining if the refs blew a play dead anytime a defender grabbed a hold of them. Escapability invites nasty hits as much as it does big plays.
This. You know that defenders are coached up all week to play to the whistle against these guys. You have to. The minute you pull up and assume they're going down, they escape and toast you.

1st things 1st, he is not Tom Brady so get part that. Ask Kerry Collins about not getting calls, that was a worse hit than Vick's and no call. Last he hurt is hand falling down. Now how are we suppose to stop that, put some mattresses around him so when he hits the ground he doesn't get hurt. STOP THE WHINING

'GroveDiesel said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
It's going to be a divided issue but if you think Vick's past doesn't play a role when you had church members like Dilfer and Hoge leading the charge, c'mon. I think Dilfer was so out of line it's not funny. That guy was a hack and probably the worst QB to ever wear a Super Bowl ring and he should apologize to Vick. Look, I think the NFL is a glorified flag football game at this point but since it is and that's what we have to watch then the rules should be the same for everyone. Chad Henne got a personal foul call from the referees yesterday for a Cleveland Brown player basically grazing his helmet and then the play where Vick's helmet almost came off, you have seen that called with a yellow flag repeatedly but yet Vick didn't get the call. Dilfer has a double standard obviously and for some it seems to be justified based on the fact Vick is a felon. If Brady complains that's OK but if Vick complains then the all mighty and proper Dilfer/Hoge guys have to come up to a mic and say a bunch of BS.
I tend to agree with a lot of this even though it's not a popular opinion in the SP or elsewhere. As someone who officiates sports, I have a lot of perspective and respect for the job NFL officials do. People want uniformity and consistency on penalties which is fair but you can't remove the subjective nature of calls when you have guys this big and fast flying around and the Ref has a moment to make a decision. Different players are officiated differently in all sports, that's just human nature and the way it is. Do I think Vick doesnt get some calls that other QBs would? Yes, but it is what it is.The much bigger issue to me is that Vick is clearly not gonna make it through the season at this pace. People can foolishly call him brittle and make all the jokes they want. The fact is that he is a VERY small QB by today's standards and b/c of his playing style (even in the pocket) he takes more hits the most QBs, and it's gonna be difficult for him to hold up.Vick speaking out is just frustration from a guy who had a concussion last week, severely bruised his hand this week, and is 1-2. People going on and on about it just want to have something to argue about and is the reason that ESPN pushes it as their LEAD story today. Kinda silly IMO but not surprising at all.

The linked hit was in the grey area, IMO. Brady, Manning, Rivers all probably get a flag there.Vick, Roethlisberger probably don't get a flag there. Rodgers, Brees are 50-50. The rest of the leagues QBs won't see a flag on this play, IMO. I think the star pocket QBs get some ticky-tack calls of roughing the passer. OTOH, the mobile QBs get fewer calls, and the non-elite guys don't get the close ones, for the most part. Officials making calls based on a "star system" is hardly novel. Vick will continue to take borderline hits as long as he poses a threat to run, and few will be called.
This is spot on! :goodposting: Michael Irvan touched on this last night... as long as Vick is a threat to break out of the pocket and run, expect the hits to keep coming. He hangs on to the ball longer than most QB's because he CAN make something out of nothing with his legs and the threat to run.Quite honestly I want to see him running more... a LOT more. If he's going to just stay in the pocket then he is dead to me as a FF QB... I won't even be able to trade him to the pair of Iggles homers in my league.

I guess I'm blJust looks like a qb playing behind a really crappy line. :shrug:
Just saw the stat on ESPN.Cutler leads the NFL in hits and sacks..don`t hear him crying. Vick was one behind . Three guys were one behind Vick with Brees being one of them.As far at penalties Vick is in the top 3 since he began starting last season in late hit being called on the QB. Vick gets hit because he holds the ball too long and because they have to bring him down because of his ability to escape and run.Get rid of the ball faster and stop running and his hits will go down.

Terrell Suggs on Jim Rome just said Vick is not getting the calls.

Rome asks why...

Suggs kind of makes up an answer but is dancing around the real issue.

New Eagles mentality of not being even possible of nickle and diming teams, they have some success with the run and immediately shut it off and go for the deep ball. Convert a 3rd and short followed up by a deep ball. They try to force every play into a huge gain. Vick holds the ball for a few extra seconds he gets hit, then complains about it.

I smile everytime he gets hit, let out a little chuckle every time no flag is thrown and lol everytime he gets hurt. Can add cry baby to the laundry list that is Vick's #### personality.

The Eagles just need to take a cheap shot at the opposing teams QB any time Vick gets one. So far they have played Bradford, Ryan, and Manning. I'm sure those teams would think twice if they knew those guys were going to take one in retaliation.

The Eagles just need to take a cheap shot at the opposing teams QB any time Vick gets one. So far they have played Bradford, Ryan, and Manning. I'm sure those teams would think twice if they knew those guys were going to take one in retaliation.
Could you link videos of the cheap shots on Vick by the Rams, Falcons and Giants?TIA

The linked hit was in the grey area, IMO. Brady, Manning, Rivers all probably get a flag there.Vick, Roethlisberger probably don't get a flag there. Rodgers, Brees are 50-50. The rest of the leagues QBs won't see a flag on this play, IMO. I think the star pocket QBs get some ticky-tack calls of roughing the passer. OTOH, the mobile QBs get fewer calls, and the non-elite guys don't get the close ones, for the most part. Officials making calls based on a "star system" is hardly novel. Vick will continue to take borderline hits as long as he poses a threat to run, and few will be called.
This is spot on! :goodposting: Michael Irvan touched on this last night... as long as Vick is a threat to break out of the pocket and run, expect the hits to keep coming. He hangs on to the ball longer than most QB's because he CAN make something out of nothing with his legs and the threat to run.Quite honestly I want to see him running more... a LOT more. If he's going to just stay in the pocket then he is dead to me as a FF QB... I won't even be able to trade him to the pair of Iggles homers in my league.
The stars of the NBA get the foul calls too, it's how it is in sports.

I agree that Vick's comments relate to the frustration of the pounding he's taking so far this year. With his style and new OL coach/personnel, he's going to take big hits. I personally don't think he should change his style - it's high risk and high reward.

At least he didn't throw his OL under the bus like some other QBs who are whiners of a worse sort.

I'm still trying to figure out what a couple of 15 yard penalties does here. They wont protect his hands and his concussion was from his own guy. He'd still be in the exact same situation.

Vick is going to get hit all year because of his style and terrible offensive line. Some of the hits will draw penalites and others will be legit. I don't think the hit that supposedly broke his hand was dirty or illegal. He's frustrated but he shouldn't be airing those frustrations in public. Big Ben may even get hit more than Vick (several are illegal and don't draw a flag) but you don't hear comments like this from him. If he doesn't want to get hit, he better change his style ASAP.

Could you link videos of the cheap shots on Vick by the Rams, Falcons and Giants?TIA
I don't keep the games archived on my computer. Collinsworth was talking about the one hit on SNF, and said Reid should be lobbying for calls more. This also goes back to last year. If you watch every Eagles game like I do and watch other games around the league, it's clear Vick doesn't get the calls he should. So either the Refs need to make the calls or imo the Eagles should police the game themselves if that isn't going to happen.

'DiStefano said:
'Short Corner said:
'dawhole9 said:
'Dizzy said:
What's with the sudden shock about Mike Vick being injury prone. He's always been reckless, small, and skinny... that doesn't change now that he's older and a little slower.Dream Team! :banned:
He got hurt in the pocket Einstein, both injuries.
So the two injuries were getting hit by his own player, and, him trying to break his fall with his hand (guess he never played basketball.) Sounds like the refs fault to me. :violin:
Correct. If the ref had thrown a flag, then he wouldn't have the booboo. I wonder if bl could kiss it to make it better.
If the flag was thrown just right, it would have cushioned Vick's fall. Clearly the ref is at fault here.

Nice breakdown of Vick's hits from the Giants by an Eagles beat reporter - he concludes that there were two questionable no-calls, but neither was a slam-dunk:

Play 1: The Giants only rushed four. Vick had plenty of time in the pocket, couldn’t find a receiver, took off and was tripped up after a gain of 10. He didn't really take a big hit, but fell to the ground.

Play 2: Vick’s pass bounced off of Steve Smith’s hands and was intercepted by Aaron Ross. Once the Giants had possession, Vick became a defensive player, and Giants defensive lineman Dave Tollefson didn’t miss a chance to shove Vick to the ground. Vick was pressured initially on the play. The Eagles had an empty backfield, sending Brent Celek and four wide receivers into their pass routes. The Giants blitzed six. There was no breakdown with the offensive line. They just didn’t have enough guys to block the defenders. You can either blame the design of the play for the pressure, or Vick for not getting rid of the ball quickly enough.

Play 3: The offensive line takes some blame on this one. The Giants only rushed three, but Jason Peters got beat by Jason Pierre-Paul, and LeSean McCoy did a poor job attempting to help him. Vick escaped the pocket and had time to either throw the ball away or take off and run, but he tried to buy time and eventually took a huge hit to the head from Pierre-Paul. There was no penalty for a blow to the head because Vick actually ducked low on the play.

Play 4: The Giants only rushed four, and the Eagles had a breakdown in the interior of their line. Vick had time initially before finding Jason Avant for 8 yards. Rocky Bernard was already taking Vick down as he released the ball. He crushed him, but it was a clean hit.

Play 5: In the red zone, the Giants sent six, and the Eagles had only five men to block them. Vick was looking for Smith, but Pierre-Paul deflected the ball and ran into him. Vick fell to the ground, but it wasn’t much of a hit. Not a crushing blow like many of the others on this list.

Play 6: I can’t tell you what happened here. The Giants sent a four-man rush, and the Eagles had six guys in to block, including Brent Celek. But somehow, Celek got matched up one-on-one with Pierre-Paul, probably New York’s most dangerous pass-rusher. Vick had time, got rid of the ball (incomplete to DeSean Jackson), but took a hit from Pierre-Paul. This one was questionable and could have warranted a flag, but it wasn’t a blatantly late hit. Vick might have felt otherwise though, as cameras caught him talking to one official after he got up.

Play 7: This looked like a designed run. Vick picked up the first down, but then was hit and fumbled. Peters recovered in what ended up being a 21-yard gain. Obviously, with Vick being a runner here, he's not going to get a flag unless the defense grabs his face-mask or hits him late.

Play 8: This is the play where Vick got injured. The Eagles ran play-action and Vick rolled to his right. Celek was originally lined up against Chris Canty, but then released into his pass route. Vick delivered a throw on the money to Jeremy Maclin, but paid for it, taking a big hit from Canty. This one definitely could have been a flag. Vick had released the ball when Canty hit him. It wasn’t blatant helmet-to-helmet though. Slowing it down on replay, it looked like Canty’s helmet hit Vick in the chest, right below the chin. Again, a flag could have been thrown, but it was far from a slam dunk.

What's the point here? Vick was hit 13 times on Sunday, and there were two questionable no-calls. So does he have a case?

Not really. Refs miss calls all the time. In Week 2, Jason Babin had a pretty blatant late hit on Matt Ryan, but there was no flag. Just yesterday, Babin grabbed Manning's facemask as he sacked him, but there was no penalty.

I don't think refs are targeting Vick. The truth is, he's probably just a difficult player to officiate, just like he's a difficult player to block for and a difficult player to defend. Vick does things no other player in the league is capable of, which might be part of the reason he thinks he's being targeted.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/Examining-the-13-hits-Vick-took-Sunday.html

Users who are viewing this thread