What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miles Austin or Vincent Jackson (1 Viewer)

Hank Mardukas

Footballguy
Even with a healthy Romo, Austin seemed to struggle after the start of the year. He still has all the speed and ability that he did in '09, so it seems likely to me that he'll end up a top 10 WR again this year, though I didn't follow him that closely last year so I don't know what his struggles were generally blamed on. VJax' production in games he played last year seemed to pick up where he left off, but after all this time off, it's not so easy to say he'll be as dominant as he once was.

So, I'm curious which one people think is more likely to have a big year. I'm more confident in Philip Rivers, and VJax doesn't have anyone nearly as talented as Dez Bryant to compete with for targets, so I'm leaning towards him, but it's a tough call.

Between the two, I'd take Jackson in a heartbeat. However, I don't think I'd consider Austin an overvalue risk. I don't there's any reason not to expect a top 10 WR performance from him this season. Dez and Witten will only help keep the defense from focusing solely on him and I fully believe that the ball will be flying around plenty down in Dallas so there will be no shortage of targets.

Even with a healthy Romo, Austin seemed to struggle after the start of the year. He still has all the speed and ability that he did in '09, so it seems likely to me that he'll end up a top 10 WR again this year, though I didn't follow him that closely last year so I don't know what his struggles were generally blamed on. VJax' production in games he played last year seemed to pick up where he left off, but after all this time off, it's not so easy to say he'll be as dominant as he once was.

So, I'm curious which one people think is more likely to have a big year. I'm more confident in Philip Rivers, and VJax doesn't have anyone nearly as talented as Dez Bryant to compete with for targets, so I'm leaning towards him, but it's a tough call.
Wrong on the bolded, gates is dominant

Wrong on the bolded, gates is dominant
Whiten + Bryant >> Gates + whoever

Easily Miles Austin. Before Romo got injured Austin was on pace for 96 1397 5, better than VJax has ever done. Austin was a lot better than VJax in 2009 also, to me we're comparing apples & oranges here.

Easily Miles Austin. Before Romo got injured Austin was on pace for 96 1397 5, better than VJax has ever done. Austin was a lot better than VJax in 2009 also, to me we're comparing apples & oranges here.
:goodposting:
To be fair, when Jackson played last season, he caught 3 touchdowns in one game. He had a fourth disallowed for some reason that escapes me. So he was on pace for like 48 touchdowns or something like that when he got hurt again.

To be fair, when Jackson played last season, he caught 3 touchdowns in one game. He had a fourth disallowed for some reason that escapes me. So he was on pace for like 48 touchdowns or something like that when he got hurt again.
You're so clever! Have anything to say about 2009?

VJax.... Austin will suck
Why?This isn't the first time I've said this, but how about some depth from your posts? Some insight? Some reasoning or argument? You post constantly, all over these forums. Normally, one-word responses or short, definitive statements.Are you just padding your post count? You don't seem to come back to most theads you post in, so you aren't looking for a discussion...so why post?Hell, you probably won't even ever see this. Jesus, I just checked, and you've got over two THOUSAND posts in just 6 months. Almost all look like this one. I just don't see the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suck? Based on what? He nearly matched Jackson's best season with Kitna throwing to him. Both have dominant TEs & neither has very reliable running game. Jackson is #1 WR with no clear #2, while Bryant could be a force for Dallas. However, Jackson had only 1 good game with Rivers last year while Austin was putting up historic numbers before Romo went out. Austin is Romo's go to guy. I've seen him force ball to him & Austin can be strong after the catch. I've never been that impressed with Jackson. Due to situations they are both top 10 but I'd much rather have Austin.

This just drives me crazy. Please do just a little research before you make asinine statements.

VJax is a tease as he just looks like he should end up in the top5 but there are always these excuses after the season is over by his dynasty owners

Austin is simply a better WR ... better YAC, better routes, and stronger and faster

Austin doesnt have the knucklehead factor either

bet on production over potential EVERY single time

that being said VJax is in an offense that will allow him to post top15 WR numbers as long as he keeps the knucklehead factor down and stays healthy

The Cowboys to me are going to play a lot like the Packers of last year. Felix and Choice are good, but neither is going to be a 20 carry guy, so this team will extend it's run via a lot of slant routes and hooks (short and intermediate passing game).

Now, why did someone say VJax was the same old player last year? He played 4 games, 3 with 54 yards or less lol that's terrible. I do think VJax has a big year, mainly because I think he's going to (shock shock) be at his best during his contract year.

A week ago I would've said Austin, easily. However he now has 2 extra games with Nnamdi, while Vjax loses those two games. And week 16, fantasy championship, Austin gets philly. Now of course things change, injuries happen, trades, Nnamdi might not cover him (Nnamdi tended to only play one side of the field in Oakland, but its possibly Philly will just let him shadow other teams best receiver- who knows maybe they think that's Dez Bryant), etc etc. I'm just saying, Austin did get bumped down a notch, and VJax moved up a notch. I think both these guys can have great years. If a gun is put to my head, I'd take VJax just because he has less competition for catches and plays in an easier division. I don't think taking one or the other will lose someone a league.

Suck? Based on what? He nearly matched Jackson's best season with Kitna throwing to him. Both have dominant TEs & neither has very reliable running game. Jackson is #1 WR with no clear #2, while Bryant could be a force for Dallas. However, Jackson had only 1 good game with Rivers last year while Austin was putting up historic numbers before Romo went out. Austin is Romo's go to guy. I've seen him force ball to him & Austin can be strong after the catch. I've never been that impressed with Jackson. Due to situations they are both top 10 but I'd much rather have Austin.
I expect for the Cowboys to continue not to have a reliable running game this year.

Tolbert/Matthews >>>>>>> Felix, Choice, Murray

Tolbert is a BEAST. Matthews if he ever plays to his potential.. BEAST.

Enjoying this thread, as I'm picking 1st overall in a 12 teamer and seem to see Austin, Jackson, & Wallace a lot and am having trouble picking which 2 I prefer out of those 3 when faced with all 3 of them. PPR, start 3 WR league, so its very important to me to grab 2 big pass-catchers.

Was a huge Austin supporter last year (drafted him 8th overall as the 2nd WR taken) and while I was smitten with his first 2 games, he was maddening the rest of the season, dropping 2 reception games seemingly every other week. Granted, he DID help win me my Championship with that Saturday Night game v Arizona with the long TD at the end of the game, but I still soured on him a bit. The fact that Dez Bryant is looking like a real option for me at the 4/5 turn also makes me lean away from Austin, as I don't want both. Is that last bit a silly line of thinking?

Can't help but believe that, statistically, everything will come together for Jackson this season. Something close to 80-1200-16. It's rare the way he makes the game look so easy. Probably the most/best physically coordinated athlete in the NFL.

Why?This isn't the first time I've said this, but how about some depth from your posts? Some insight? Some reasoning or argument? You post constantly, all over these forums. Normally, one-word responses or short, definitive statements.

Are you just padding your post count? You don't seem to come back to most theads you post in, so you aren't looking for a discussion...so why post?

Hell, you probably won't even ever see this.

Jesus, I just checked, and you've got over two THOUSAND posts in just 6 months. Almost all look like this one. I just don't see the point.
I'm not sure what more you want from him. Fantasy football isn't about "why," it's about "what," and he's already informed you that Austin will suck. Now that you know that you can drop him from your draft sheets. Put his auction value to zero and move on.You're looking a gift horse in the mouth. He's giving you actionable information, not some pansy opinion backed up by stats or reason. Just the end result wrapped in a bow for you. be more thankful, will you?

:sarcasm:

Tough call, I think Vincent Jackson.

I'm not sold on Dallas throwing the ball all over the place either.

I also think Dez takes a step forward.
What?

If they arent going to throw the ball all over the place who do you think is going to run it then??

... and I ask this as both a Felix Jones & Miles Austin owner.... b/c I sure as hell am not counting on Jones to put up scorching numbers on the ground...

Tough call, I think Vincent Jackson.

I'm not sold on Dallas throwing the ball all over the place either.

I also think Dez takes a step forward.
What?

If they arent going to throw the ball all over the place who do you think is going to run it then??

... and I ask this as both a Felix Jones & Miles Austin owner.... b/c I sure as hell am not counting on Jones to put up scorching numbers on the ground...
I'd say Dallas is probably one of the safest passing offenses to bet on in the NFL. I like Felix, but I think they pass, pass, and pass some more

Jackson

I have Austin on overvalued alert.
Ive had to come to this head in every draft ive been in and ive only taken Miles once. Just too much talent in Dallas. Also, I dont think its debatable, Rivers is better than Romo.I think the most important part of this is that the Chargers are one of the most balanced offenses in the NFL, im really low on Mathews and really high on Tolbert but either way they will both finish top 20. A good running game opens up the passing game a lot.

Miles Austin is a much safer bet. I just do not trust VJax and Sidney Rice this year....2 WRs that did not play much last year but had solid seasons the year before.

Austin easily, Jackson is 28 and has never caught 70 balls in a season. This guy has supposed to be top ten for four years now.

Austin easily, Jackson is 28 and has never caught 70 balls in a season. This guy has supposed to be top ten for four years now.
Lol?Miles is 27 (not that age is relevant at all not even in dynasty between these two specific players), in his 5 years in the NFL hes only caught more than 70 balls once.They ran an identical 40 yd dash, but Vjax is 6'5" and Miles is only 6'2".

'degenerate said:
the answer is jackson based on upside potential
I have to say... I've taken a lot of flak over the last two years for being the president of the Vincent Jackson Fan Club, but more upside potential? Than the guy who went for 76/1239/10 in just 12 games in 2009? That pace pro-rates to 101/1652/13. I have a hard time believing Vincent Jackson has more "upside potential" than that.
What? Vincent Jackson wasn't supposed to be top 10 last year, since he was threatening to hold out for the entire season. Vincent Jackson was supposed to be top 10 the year before... and he delivered, finishing 10th despite missing a game. And the year before he wasn't "supposed to be" top 10, but he nearly finished there, anyway (he came in at 12th).The fact that he's never caught 70 balls would also be slightly more relevant if he didn't average 17.2 yards per reception. Guys who average 12 ypc have to catch a ton of balls to be fantasy relevant. Guys who average 17 ypc do not. Desean Jackson and Mike Wallace have never topped 70 receptions, either. They haven't even topped 65. And the 70 reception threshold is arbitrary and silly, anyway, since Jackson caught 68 in 15 games back in 2009- one more game and he tops 70, and you'd probably be complaining about how he's never had 75 catches in a season.

Based on thread title ("return to glory") I don't think either is more or less likely than the other to return to their '09 stat lines. If it were "mostly likely to take it to another level", I would say VJax solely based on Romo having more mouths to feed.

Lol?Miles is 27 (not that age is relevant at all not even in dynasty between these two specific players), in his 5 years in the NFL hes only caught more than 70 balls once.They ran an identical 40 yd dash, but Vjax is 6'5" and Miles is only 6'2".
Right, but Miles is an undrafted stud who worked hard to get where he's at. He has tremendous lower body strength with tree-trunky type legs which allows him to break tackles etc... I'll take the came-from-nowhere workhorse who has had multiple double-digit catch games over the 2nd round prima donna who underachieved until his breakout in 2009.I do think both are top 10, however. In fact my rankings have Austin at 6 and Vjax at 7.

Right, but Miles is an undrafted stud who worked hard to get where he's at. He has tremendous lower body strength with tree-trunky type legs which allows him to break tackles etc... I'll take the came-from-nowhere workhorse who has had multiple double-digit catch games over the 2nd round prima donna who underachieved until his breakout in 2009.I do think both are top 10, however. In fact my rankings have Austin at 6 and Vjax at 7.
Yeah, that prima-donna who came from the juggernaut of... Northern Colorado. Jackson was drafted as a project. It's not surprising it took him some time to reach his potential, and it definitely took hard work. In fact, both sort of have similar career paths. Small schools, took 4 seasons to reach their stride.

I think Austin is the safest, and he would be my choice, but V-Jax probably has a slightly higher ceiling. V-Jax has a lot of potential but he hasn't had one season close to Austin's. I wouldn't be shocked if V-Jax went for 1,600 and 15 but he's starting to feel like one of those guys who is given credit for being dominant before he actually is, and may never get there. I think a lot of casual FF'ers and even a couple on this board would be surprised to see how pedestrian V-Jax's numbers are.

'ConnSKINS26 said:
'sihaokills said:
Why?This isn't the first time I've said this, but how about some depth from your posts? Some insight? Some reasoning or argument? You post constantly, all over these forums. Normally, one-word responses or short, definitive statements.Are you just padding your post count? You don't seem to come back to most theads you post in, so you aren't looking for a discussion...so why post?Hell, you probably won't even ever see this. Jesus, I just checked, and you've got over two THOUSAND posts in just 6 months. Almost all look like this one. I just don't see the point.
Sorry for the hijack, but I've been noticing the same thing. There really isn't much point in posting unless your contributing to the discussion. Ok, back on track. I don't understand the apples to oranges comment from adrenaline. I think both guys are going to finish this year pretty close; both top 15. Both could be top 10. From a dynasty standpoint, I like Jackson because he doesn't have another top talent at WR across from him. I also like Jackson more because Gates injuries are starting to catch up with him. A healthy Witten and Gates are going to draw about the same amount of targets. Jackson gets a huge bump if Gates misses time. Lets not forget that Jackson is still in search of that big payday. Austin had his last year. Sure Jackson will make great money this year after he signed his tender, but I'm talking long term contract with a boat load of guaranteed money. While I like them both, I'd prefer Vincent Jackson. Both this year and long term. Granted, I don't predict injuries, just like I don't predict if the knucklehead factor will kick in.

Yeah, that prima-donna who came from the juggernaut of... Northern Colorado. Jackson was drafted as a project. It's not surprising it took him some time to reach his potential, and it definitely took hard work. In fact, both sort of have similar career paths. Small schools, took 4 seasons to reach their stride.
He was still a 2nd round draft pick - far cry from being undrafted. And he's a prima donna because he held out all last season. He's had DUIs (I believe he's had 2). He's a good player and like I said I have him 7th overall for WRs - but I still think he's an entitled doosh.

Lol?Miles is 27 (not that age is relevant at all not even in dynasty between these two specific players), in his 5 years in the NFL hes only caught more than 70 balls once.

They ran an identical 40 yd dash, but Vjax is 6'5" and Miles is only 6'2".
Vincent Jackson ranked 12th in 2008 (his 4th season in the league). 12th is now underachieving? 4-year breakouts are now somehow uncommon for WRs?
He was still a 2nd round draft pick - far cry from being undrafted. And he's a prima donna because he held out all last season. He's had DUIs (I believe he's had 2). He's a good player and like I said I have him 7th overall for WRs - but I still think he's an entitled doosh.
Fact: Vincent Jackson has never once in his entire career held out. That is a straight up, plain and simple, inarguable FACT. Vincent Jackson signed a 5-year, $3.495mil contract as a rookie. He then played in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. Count them- that's five years. He played out his entire rookie contract without holding out or threatening to hold out. Then he no longer had a contract- his contract was over, done, finished. Unfortunately, an obscure provision of the former CBA (which was not in place when he signed his original rookie contract) prevented him from negotiating with any other teams. As a result, since he was not under contract for anyone, Vincent Jackson did not play in the first 10 or so games of 2010. Eventually, he signed a contract so he could accrue another year of service, and then he honored the terms of that contract that he signed- just like he honored the terms of the contract he had signed before.

Vincent Jackson was screwed. He entered the league and signed a 5-year contract when the rules were you could become a free agent after 4 years. Then the NFL changed the rules so you had to have 6 years to become a free agent. Vincent played out the terms of his contract, anyway. He then refused to sign a new contract with San Diego because the sum of money they offered him was far too low to risk a career-ending injury (and therefore risk his huge free agent payday). That was his right- nobody has to sign any contract that they don't like, they simply have to honor the terms of the contracts that they do sign. Which Vincent Jackson did. Twice. And will do a third time this season.

Hardly sounds like the actions of an "entitled doosh", if you ask me. In fact, you could say the "entitled doosh" in this entire drama is the guy who refused to pay him market value and refused to trade his rights to someone who would.

Hardly sounds like the actions of an "entitled doosh", if you ask me. In fact, you could say the "entitled doosh" in this entire drama is the guy who refused to pay him market value and refused to trade his rights to someone who would.

Lol?Miles is 27 (not that age is relevant at all not even in dynasty between these two specific players), in his 5 years in the NFL hes only caught more than 70 balls once.

Vincent Jackson ranked 12th in 2008 (his 4th season in the league). 12th is now underachieving? 4-year breakouts are now somehow uncommon for WRs?
Fact: Vincent Jackson has never once in his entire career held out. That is a straight up, plain and simple, inarguable FACT. Vincent Jackson signed a 5-year, $3.495mil contract as a rookie. He then played in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. Count them- that's five years. He played out his entire rookie contract without holding out or threatening to hold out. Then he no longer had a contract- his contract was over, done, finished. Unfortunately, an obscure provision of the former CBA (which was not in place when he signed his original rookie contract) prevented him from negotiating with any other teams. As a result, since he was not under contract for anyone, Vincent Jackson did not play in the first 10 or so games of 2010. Eventually, he signed a contract so he could accrue another year of service, and then he honored the terms of that contract that he signed- just like he honored the terms of the contract he had signed before.

Vincent Jackson was screwed. He entered the league and signed a 5-year contract when the rules were you could become a free agent after 4 years. Then the NFL changed the rules so you had to have 6 years to become a free agent. Vincent played out the terms of his contract, anyway. He then refused to sign a new contract with San Diego because the sum of money they offered him was far too low to risk a career-ending injury (and therefore risk his huge free agent payday). That was his right- nobody has to sign any contract that they don't like, they simply have to honor the terms of the contracts that they do sign. Which Vincent Jackson did. Twice. And will do a third time this season.

It sounds like you know more about his situation than I. My question is why didn't another team offer him a contract? Is it because he was asking more than anyone was willing to pay?

It sounds like you know more about his situation than I. My question is why didn't another team offer him a contract? Is it because he was asking more than anyone was willing to pay?
Because the GM wanted a stupid price and was not really interested in dealing.

Wow, you sure were making some bold assumptions upthread if you have to ask that question.

NFL rules prevented any teams from making him any offers. Typically, a player is capable of becoming a UFA after 4 years of service. Because of the uncapped year last year, an obscure provision changed that so players had to have 6 years to reach UFA status. As a result, Vincent Jackson was restricted from negotiating with other teams, and San Diego retained his rights even though he didn't have a contract (sort of like how a team owns the rights to players they draft even though those players don't have contracts, and how only that one particular team is allowed to negotiate).Vincent Jackson was only allowed to negotiate with San Diego. San Diego gave him a ridiculously low-ball offer (originally $3 million, and then when he balked, they reduced it to $600,000). Vincent Jackson knew that he was in line to make tens of millions of dollars based on his play to date (and he was right- he signed an $11 million franchise tender this offseason, and has at least $20-30 million more coming his way in the next couple years unless he gets injured), and figured it was ridiculous to risk a $30 million payday by playing on a $600,000 tender, so he refused to sign. He wound up signing in week 10 so he could accrue an extra year of service in case free agency rules didn't change (so he'd have six years of service this offseason and would be guaranteed to either get franchised or become a UFA).San Diego could have also traded his rights to any other team at any time if they really had no interest in paying Jackson, but they first refused to entertain offers for him, then they entertained offers but dramatically restricted who they'd take offers from, and eventually they just changed their minds entirely and refused to trade him to anyone. Basically, last year's 8-8, home-for-the-playoffs choke job couldn't have possibly happened to a nicer GM.Like I said, Vincent Jackson was the victim of a major-league screwjob after the league changed the rules on him in the middle of his rookie contract and his GM refused to negotiate in good faith. It's a travesty that people think that he's somehow an "entitled doosh" based on last offseason. You want to hate him for the DUIs, that's one thing, but the guy's no malcontent.

I am struggling with this as well:

Miles is safer, but VJax seems to have the higher ceiling. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either, but I would probably go Miles right now.

I like Vjax here. Namely Gates has plantar fasciitis. He was struggling with this last year and he was put on PUP this year for the same thing. Now while Gates was a beast last year, he did it because of the lack of another dependable receiver. When Vjax came back, that changed. This year VJax is the healthy one over Gates.

Miles on the other hand also has a competitor in Dez. I think Dez continues to improve and take away some of Austin's numbers. Plus some of the great earlier posting on Miles having to deal with Nnamdi in the future, whereas VJax gets to be Nnamdi-free.

So all-in-all, I'd buy Vincent this year over Miles.

Users who are viewing this thread