What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MJD Injury? (1 Viewer)

From http://twitter.com/vitostellino

Maurice Jones-Drew missed practice for the second day in a row. Del Rio isn't announcing injuries so we don't know why
Have a draft tonight, just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this?
Well, if it were anything earth shattering, Shefter and the gang probably would have reported it. My guess is when you have one guy that pretty much is the engine to your entire offense, you want to be careful with him. If I were the coach, and someone farted in the general direction of MJD, I would fine them and sit them for the rest of practice.

Maurice Jones-Drew missed practice for the second day in a row. Del Rio isn't announcing injuries so we don't know why
Well, if it were anything earth shattering, Shefter and the gang probably would have reported it. My guess is when you have one guy that pretty much is the engine to your entire offense, you want to be careful with him. If I were the coach, and someone farted in the general direction of MJD, I would fine them and sit them for the rest of practice.
This is what I figured, just was wondering if there was anything more to the story. Have been going back and forth between MJD and Rice, an injury to start out the season could be a deciding factor.Thanks for the input.

:goodposting: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lmao: :lmao: :bye:

they did sign kolby smith today... probably just as a precaution with karim out as well.

i'd draft jennings as a cuff if you get MJD to be on the safe side.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone drafting 5th on Saturday, I hope there is an abundance of wild speculation about the severity of this injury over the next few days.

they did sign kolby smith today... probably just as a precaution with karim out as well.
They signed Kolby Smith you say? Uh-oh :coffee:

they did sign kolby smith today... probably just as a precaution with karim out as well.i'd draft jennings as a cuff if you get MJD to be on the safe side.
Would Jennings really be a decent starting RB on a fantasy team if MJD were down? Better than a RB3 like LT, McFadden, Sproles (just to name a few)? I'm not convinced he's really worth drafting if I have some decent depth on my team.

I am not saying he is injured, but MJD is the type of player that wants to be out practicing. I am picking up Jennings off the waiver wire in many leagues right now, just in case. Could be a gold mine move if something happened to MJD in a closed practice.

:excited: :rant: ;) :lmao: :lmao: :bye:
:lmao: For a second I thought his username said Fartaholic!

they did sign kolby smith today... probably just as a precaution with karim out as well.i'd draft jennings as a cuff if you get MJD to be on the safe side.
Would Jennings really be a decent starting RB on a fantasy team if MJD were down? Better than a RB3 like LT, McFadden, Sproles (just to name a few)? I'm not convinced he's really worth drafting if I have some decent depth on my team.
I'm probably the only one who thinks Jennings is a pretty solid back. He's a big dude

I'm probably the only one who thinks Jennings is a pretty solid back. He's a big dude
I think he is OK, but if you are really looking for someone near that ADP, I would gor Ringer before Jennings. At this point (unless this turns into something real for MJD), Ringer is just more talented and on a better team. I am in a keeper league with limits on years you can keep players and had to dump ADP for MJD (and a swap in picks in my favor)...even after I did the deal I was nervous. There is just something about him (healthy or not), i don't feel comfortable with. Maybe it is because he gets his numbers in a "less conventional" way (high TD rate for # of carries). i thought the same about Westbrook and literally never owned him (and missed out on a lot of goodness), so maybe it is just me...

According to Fanball (saw on news app - site blocked @ work so no link), he's "dealing with a number of nagging injuries, and won't play in Jax's preseason game on Saturday". Doesn't sound too serious, but being dinged up in the preseason isn't the ideal way to start the year.

:lmao: :goodposting:

:thumbup: A handcuff is only worth it if they will produce like the starter or at least a decent facsimile. I doubt jennings is anything near MJD production.

Insein said:
DerwoodG said:
:shrug: A handcuff is only worth it if they will produce like the starter or at least a decent facsimile. I doubt jennings is anything near MJD production.
I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect a backup RB to play up to a top 5 FF running back. So to say "it's only worth it" is a bit of a reach IMO. What a RB with major upside(such as Jennings) does do is soften the blow of losing such an intregal part of your fantasy team. Waive wire fodder probably isn't going to match the level of talent you are going to get with a solid handcuff and there's no competing with other managers for him. Well worth it IMO.

it's the preseason people. why would Jacksonville even come close to risking anything when HE IS THEIR WHOLE OFFENSE?

if it were anything serious you would have heard by now.

it's the preseason people. why would Jacksonville even come close to risking anything when HE IS THEIR WHOLE OFFENSE?if it were anything serious you would have heard by now.
I can understand being held out of a meaningless preseason game but three consecutive practices? I can't remember the last time I heard of any player being held out of preseason practice for consecutive days to "not risk anything" when there wasn't anything apparent (health) to risk in the first place.

Just heard MJD on his show. He said he is not injured, but did say he is "healthy as I'm gonna be." He said he could play in five minutes if there was a game. He also said "I just ran in the parking lot to escape the rain." This seems to infer there may be something with his legs (?). He also had ice on his knee earlier this year at practice. Trying to decide between MJD and Gore for my draft tomorrow.

Trying to decide between MJD and Gore for my draft tomorrow.
Oh yeah, no injury concerns here! :lmao:
I'm more concerned about injuries THIS YEAR than I am about previous years.
You are right. Being injury prone has no affect on the prognostication process. :thumbup:
dude shutup
I'll stop making legitimate points when you start making them. :lightbulb:ETA: This was your first post of thread as well. Way to contribute. :lmao:

gore has played in 59 of 64 games since becoming the full time running back in 2006. there arent too many starting running backs you can say that about.

gore has played in 59 of 64 games since becoming the full time running back in 2006. there arent too many starting running backs you can say that about.
Now see, that wasn't hard. Way to contribute. :lmao: I'm going to venture a guess that there's a whole handful of those played games where but was knocked out of that game early. I'll allow you to do the leg work on that as well if you want, because I'm not going to. Here's what I do know.

MJD has missed one game in his 4 years.

MJD has played 4 years and amassed 54 total TDs with 1041 total touches.

Gore has played 5 years and amassed 39 total TDs with 1392 total touches.

Summary: We can argue about durability till we're blue in the face. The cold hard facts are that with 351 less touches of the football, MJD has 15 more TDs and is on the field more. End of story for me.

Spanker, fwiw I draft tomorrow. MJD seemed like it was no big deal on his show, and wondered why everyone was so worried, he even played the Allen Iverson "practice" rant. I probably won't be able to decide until my turn in the draft...

I'd rather have a player who USED TO BE injured than one who is INJURED NOW.
Just heard MJD on his show. He said he is not injured, but did say he is "healthy as I'm gonna be." He said he could play in five minutes if there was a game. He also said "I just ran in the parking lot to escape the rain." This seems to infer there may be something with his legs (?). He also had ice on his knee earlier this year at practice. Trying to decide between MJD and Gore for my draft tomorrow.
No one has shown any proof that he's truly "injured" including yourself with this post. I'm trying to understand your point.

Now see, that wasn't hard. Way to contribute. :lmao: I'm going to venture a guess that there's a whole handful of those played games where but was knocked out of that game early. I'll allow you to do the leg work on that as well if you want, because I'm not going to. Here's what I do know.

Summary: We can argue about durability till we're blue in the face. The cold hard facts are that with 351 less touches of the football, MJD has 15 more TDs and is on the field more. End of story for me.
i wast comparing the two. you made a wiseass comment about gore's durability and i just showed you that he is actually quite dependable. i'd be willing to bet that 59 games played of 64 since 2006 is near the tops for starting runnings backs.

Spanker, fwiw I draft tomorrow. MJD seemed like it was no big deal on his show, and wondered why everyone was so worried, he even played the Allen Iverson "practice" rant. I probably won't be able to decide until my turn in the draft...
I'm in the same exact boat and it's killing me. If the draft goes as predicted, I'll have to make a choice between MJD, Rice, and possibly Gore.Who is your 2nd choice after MJD?

Now see, that wasn't hard. Way to contribute. :thumbup: I'm going to venture a guess that there's a whole handful of those played games where but was knocked out of that game early. I'll allow you to do the leg work on that as well if you want, because I'm not going to. Here's what I do know.

i wast comparing the two. you made a wiseass comment about gore's durability and i just showed you that he is actually quite dependable. i'd be willing to bet that 59 games played of 64 since 2006 is near the tops for starting runnings backs.
I understand the premise of our conversation very well. You provided a nice stat and I'm just emphasizing another point that even if Gore did start that # of games, he certainly didn't finish close to that many. The eyeball test, and the fact that I've owned him in the past, tells me he isn't as reliable as comparable RBs at the top of the draft board. Keep in mind, the premise of the this thread is MJD's "injury" and then someone stated they were debating between Gore and MJD. To me, they are not very comparable as far as durability and results thus far. :shrug:

Now see, that wasn't hard. Way to contribute. :thumbup: I'm going to venture a guess that there's a whole handful of those played games where but was knocked out of that game early. I'll allow you to do the leg work on that as well if you want, because I'm not going to. Here's what I do know.

I understand the premise of our conversation very well. You provided a nice stat and I'm just emphasizing another point that even if Gore did start that # of games, he certainly didn't finish close to that many. The eyeball test, and the fact that I've owned him in the past, tells me he isn't a reliable as comparable RBs at the top of the draft board. Keep in mind, the premise of the this thread is MJD's "injury" and then someone stated they were debating between Gore and MJD. To me, they are not very comparable as far as durability and results thus far. :shrug:
Fair enough.

I understand the premise of our conversation very well. You provided a nice stat and I'm just emphasizing another point that even if Gore did start that # of games, he certainly didn't finish close to that many. The eyeball test, and the fact that I've owned him in the past, tells me he isn't a reliable as comparable RBs at the top of the draft board. Keep in mind, the premise of the this thread is MJD's "injury" and then someone stated they were debating between Gore and MJD. To me, they are not very comparable as far as durability and results thus far. :shrug:
I agree, Gore is definitely outside of that first RB tier. And he's constantly banged up. I do give him props for being tough and getting out there, the problem is that he'll get out there in those games where he clearly isn't going to produce and/or finish the game, and you're stuck trying to decide whether to play him or not. If he'd just sit out a couple, at least you could feel confident about starting someone else. But when he's on, you'd better have him in the line up..

Jude's intro to this thread epitomizes his contribution to the forum.. Not worth the effort, just leave him spout..

I agree, Gore is definitely outside of that first RB tier. And he's constantly banged up. I do give him props for being tough and getting out there, the problem is that he'll get out there in those games where he clearly isn't going to produce and/or finish the game, and you're stuck trying to decide whether to play him or not. If he'd just sit out a couple, at least you could feel confident about starting someone else. But when he's on, you'd better have him in the line up..

Jude's intro to this thread epitomizes his contribution to the forum.. Not worth the effort, just leave him spout..
as opposed to your contributions, which are a mix between a peter king fluff-piece and a matt berry man-crush article.

I'm in the same exact boat and it's killing me. If the draft goes as predicted, I'll have to make a choice between MJD, Rice, and possibly Gore.Who is your 2nd choice after MJD?
My 2 cents here ... Rice then MJD then Gore

Jaguars Notebook: Maurice Jones-Drew misses another practice, but claims no injury

Posted: August 26, 2010 - 10:55pmPhotos

By Tania Ganguli

Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew sent fantasy football drafters into a tizzy with his absence from three consecutive practices this week. Jones-Drew missed practice on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

But the running back said Thursday that he does not have an injury, he is being held out as a precautionary measure.

"It's like Allen Iverson said, it's practice," Jones-Drew said. "In the preseason. ... There's no worries."

Early in his career, training camp was for winning a roster spot, but now it's more about staying healthy.

Related: Jaguars singled out for tickets woes, but another Florida team is faring worse

That's why the Jaguars held him out of several practices during camp. Jacksonville also limited Jones-Drew's carries throughout the preseason to six in two games. He's netted -2 yards. Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said he'd like the running game to be more of a focus in the third preseason game Saturday in Tampa.

Jones-Drew said he does not know if he will play against Tampa Bay and that the decision will be left up to Del Rio.
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/ja...nother-practice

it's the preseason people. why would Jacksonville even come close to risking anything when HE IS THEIR WHOLE OFFENSE?if it were anything serious you would have heard by now.
I can understand being held out of a meaningless preseason game but three consecutive practices? I can't remember the last time I heard of any player being held out of preseason practice for consecutive days to "not risk anything" when there wasn't anything apparent (health) to risk in the first place.
Brian Westbrook. Pretty much sat out the preseason for 07 and 08. No "apparent" injury. Started game 1 for both no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread