What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MJD to Holdout (1 Viewer)

I already said in my previous post, the one you quoted.Whether you realize how insulting it is - is on you. Its demeaning and from my perspective its pretty clear no one has ever talked down to you in the workplace.If my boss ever talked to me like that id be looking for a lawyer and a job, because I would have punched him right in the throat.
What's demeaning? 'Train is leaving'? Really? Or is it the other loosely translated quotes that you are referring to, that I have never read, anywhere?This MJD thread is like a time warp. It's like no one has ever encountered an NFL holdout before. Holdouts get nasty all the time, much worse than 'train is leaving', and everything gets forgiven when a player returns. A lot of players have more leverage than MJD, and don't get a new deal. MJD isn't getting one, and frankly, shouldn't be expecting one.
There is no difference between what Khan said and any other confrontation escalating to a point. Two people coming to a head.Then one decides to walk away (MJD preparing to cave and report) and the other says "yeah thats what I thought".You are directly questioning a persons pride, you are taking the money out of the equation and making it all about power. Intentionally trying to make MJD feel smaller than he is. No pun intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
'12punch said:
'GDogg said:
What are you talking about? A signing bonus is paid before you perform.
I'm pretty sure if you paid for a good or service up front and it wasn't delivered you'd be looking to get your money back.mjd took his money up front -- kind of hard to say he 'outperformed' a 5 yr deal when he only delivered on 3 years.
With all due respect, this smacks of naivete. This is the NFL. This isn't hiring a gardener. Teams generally do not expect to pay players for the last year or two on second and third contracts. The tools in contract disputes are hold outs (for individual players), strikes (for the entire union) and lockouts (for the owners). And, if a player is not performing as the organization likes and thinks it is worth, they can cut the player. The owners used one of their weapons last year when they locked out the players. The players have used strikes in the past and individual players hold out all the time with varying degrees of success. It's as if you just starting following the NFL and know nothing about their contracts.

Maurice Drew wouldn't have signed with the Jaguars if he hadn't gotten that signing bonus. It was an inducement to sign.

a signing bonus is a means to pay the player more while ducking around the cap consequences.I thought you knew something about the nfl.

and I don't care what you want to call it -- it is payment up front.

if you want to call it an 'inducement to sign', it was an inducement to sign a 5 yr deal -- not a 3 yr deal.

which is why they will be able to collect part of it back when he fails to honor the remainder of the contract.

if you want to be an authority on something maybe learn a little about it first.

Also, I'm sick of reading the same #### about Khan being a self-made billionaire or what not so everyone needs to listen to him and he knows better. Not every owner is like Mark Cuban. There are owners that are self-made billionaires that have failed at owning a team. It's too early to tell but Khan isn't starting too well.

'GDogg said:
'stbugs said:
'GDogg said:
'yellowdog said:
Question for those that say he deserves to paid: IF MJD had failed to produce the first 3 years of his deal, do you think he would've given money back to the Jags? I thought not. I'm with the owner on this one.
He would have been cut or traded.
Right, hence the almost $18M guaranteed. Even if he got cut, he would have been rewarded handsomely. Heck, if MJD thought he would play so well and rates for RBs would be so much better, why not get franchised the first two years and then sign a better market deal after that? Why not sign a 3 year deal and be a FA now? He signed a great deal at the time and was pretty much golden that he would get paid for all 5 years barring a catastrophic injury. His deal was team friendly in years 4 and 5.He is just pissed that other (much younger) RBs are now showing him up contract wise and he wants a big deal for an aging RB and I agree with JAX's stance. As said above, Jacksonville doesn't become a playoff team again signing MJD to a fat deal. With the rookie cap in place now, their best shot is to trade him and be awful and get a great player at a decent price next year. Heck, if they play well without him, all it means is that Gabbert turned the corner, which is the single biggest thing that could turn them into a playoff contender. That or the #1 spot in the draft and some stud QB is available in the draft.
I completely understand how contract negotiation works. I'm not really sure what you're arguing here. I suppose I shouldn't have responded to the previous poster because I don't really care one way or the other. I'm generally in favor of players, particularly in the NFL which is a sport that essentially destroys a person's body, getting paid as much as they possibly can while they can, but I also can see it from the team's perspective.And, I also think the argument someone above made of, "well, I'm just an average joe and $4.5M is a boatload of money to me, so Maurice should just take it and like it," is one of the dumbest arguments fans can make. Sports and athletes (and entertainers) are unique from most of the rest of the working world in that they are not only employees, but they are the product. Of course they get paid more than the average fan. Think about it, fans pay to go watch them do their job. Does anyone pay to watch you do yours? And, the owners and the league make a ton of money off of the work these guys do and the stuff they do to their bodies for our entertainment.That being said, I don't think the Jaguars pay and they probably shouldn't. On the flip side, Maurice is a player who has entertained me for the last decade. Like most players, he's probably going to have some physical problems when he retires and the league doesn't exactly take care of these guys once they are done with them. For running backs, the window to earn money is even smaller. For his sake, I hope he gets paid and I understand why he's doing it.
Good post. I feel the same way. Calling the athletes greedy or what not is just ludicrous. Once they are done with football, the NFL will not help them out with medical issues directly related from playing football. Owners make way more than the players in most cases. It's mind-boggling to me some of these broke ### Joes side with the owners. I suppose the hate stems from jealousy...
jealousy of the players or the owners?

'Run It Up said:
'ericttspikes said:
If having a RB lead the league in rushing only nets you a 5-11 record I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay him even more money either. It's a bad business decision for a franchise in need of a lot of talent. I see MJD's point, he's a talented back on a bad team, but business is business. Their home attendance slipped last year, winning is the only thing that fans care about, not stats. The Jags should cut bait and move on. It's Gabbert/Blackmon's team now.
Lol and do you think they are more likely to win without MJD?Jennings not only isnt MJD, he will never be MJD... the money you "save" not paying him isnt gonna buy 1/2 the talent they lost...
Does it matter? They're not Super Bowl bound. They are rebuilding for the future. They got a potential stud at WR in this years draft, and they'll have another top pick next year with or without MJD. I'm sure there will be RB talent available in the second round, like where they got MJD at #60. Heck, trading MJD might give them the worst record and they can have a shot at Barkley if they don't like Gabbert's development this year. I don't see the upside for them to pay MJD more money. Get draft picks and build from there.

I already said in my previous post, the one you quoted.Whether you realize how insulting it is - is on you. Its demeaning and from my perspective its pretty clear no one has ever talked down to you in the workplace.If my boss ever talked to me like that id be looking for a lawyer and a job, because I would have punched him right in the throat.
What's demeaning? 'Train is leaving'? Really? Or is it the other loosely translated quotes that you are referring to, that I have never read, anywhere?This MJD thread is like a time warp. It's like no one has ever encountered an NFL holdout before. Holdouts get nasty all the time, much worse than 'train is leaving', and everything gets forgiven when a player returns. A lot of players have more leverage than MJD, and don't get a new deal. MJD isn't getting one, and frankly, shouldn't be expecting one.
There is no difference between what Khan said and any other confrontation escalating to a point. Two people coming to a head.Then one decides to walk away (MJD preparing to cave and report) and the other says "yeah thats what I thought".You are directly questioning a persons pride, you are taking the money out of the equation and making it all about power.
Keep on paraphrasing. It sounds better that way, right? Sounds kind of silly to type 'train is leaving' and take the position that those horrible words warrant a punch in the throat. Also, saying that MJD decided to walk away (whoops, paraphrasing here--I mean cave in and report) is simple speculation. MJD was packing his duffel bag, was he? He had his car keys, was walking out the door, then heard Khan's awful insult (train is leaving?!?!? That sonofabi--), and turned around, to resume his 30 grand a day holdout?I don't believe that.

'Run It Up said:
'ericttspikes said:
If having a RB lead the league in rushing only nets you a 5-11 record I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay him even more money either. It's a bad business decision for a franchise in need of a lot of talent. I see MJD's point, he's a talented back on a bad team, but business is business. Their home attendance slipped last year, winning is the only thing that fans care about, not stats. The Jags should cut bait and move on. It's Gabbert/Blackmon's team now.
Lol and do you think they are more likely to win without MJD?Jennings not only isnt MJD, he will never be MJD... the money you "save" not paying him isnt gonna buy 1/2 the talent they lost...
Does it matter? They're not Super Bowl bound. They are rebuilding for the future. They got a potential stud at WR in this years draft, and they'll have another top pick next year with or without MJD. I'm sure there will be RB talent available in the second round, like where they got MJD at #60. Heck, trading MJD might give them the worst record and they can have a shot at Barkley if they don't like Gabbert's development this year. I don't see the upside for them to pay MJD more money. Get draft picks and build from there.
That was my only point, was do you think they win more without him.I would prefer he played somewhere else in the NFL and Jags floundered.But Khan has said he wont trade him, which creates a situation. He either wont be traded and they are gonna sit on mjd. Or no team in the NFL will give them a reasonable offer.If he just went about it like any other team, blah blah blah player troubles, looking to move him. They could have easily gotten a first for MJD.There is noway even if they said they would trade him today someone makes that offer.

Kahn might be a great businessman but so far he has not notched a single regular season game yet as the owner of this team. I understand when the Rooneys do this and you look in the trophy case and you understand. It's not like the Jags brand is solid to start with. Then this guy takes the one player fans might want to pay to see and treats him like a dog. He could have said something like "I was a big MJD fan before I took over the team, I want him with us but at this time we have a lot of pressing needs and I can't honor the contract demands he is looking for." Then quietly trade him with a heavy heart because if Kahn were really as smart as some say, he would realize he needs to not alienate fans who own MJD jerseys and are still buying $10 beers at the stadium.

Kahn is not serving himself well and I also don't think future potential FA and players are going to want to play for him.

MJD has made $20m over the last 3 years, that's pretty good money. Judging Kahn and MJD separately might do some good. They can both be at fault here...not always a winner and loser in everything. Right now I think they both are losing.

There is no difference between what Khan said and any other confrontation escalating to a point. Two people coming to a head.Then one decides to walk away (MJD preparing to cave and report) and the other says "yeah thats what I thought".You are directly questioning a persons pride, you are taking the money out of the equation and making it all about power.
Keep on paraphrasing. It sounds better that way, right? Sounds kind of silly to type 'train is leaving' and take the position that those horrible words warrant a punch in the throat. Also, saying that MJD decided to walk away (whoops, paraphrasing here--I mean cave in and report) is simple speculation. MJD was packing his duffel bag, was he? He had his car keys, was walking out the door, then heard Khan's awful insult (train is leaving?!?!? That sonofabi--), and turned around, to resume his 30 grand a day holdout?I don't believe that.
Great discussion your having with yourself.

He's actually owning you at every turn, but don't let that get in the way.

Bottom line, Khan needs a good publicist and keep his mouth shut. Then deal with his players privately and not spew some crap to yahoo sports or espn reporters...

'Run It Up said:
'ericttspikes said:
That was my only point, was do you think they win more without him.I would prefer he played somewhere else in the NFL and Jags floundered.But Khan has said he wont trade him, which creates a situation. He either wont be traded and they are gonna sit on mjd. Or no team in the NFL will give them a reasonable offer.If he just went about it like any other team, blah blah blah player troubles, looking to move him. They could have easily gotten a first for MJD.There is noway even if they said they would trade him today someone makes that offer.
It's posturing. I'm sure the Jags are getting calls, and if a good deal came in they'd take it. Look at the haul the Bengals got for Palmer. I can easily see this playing out like that situation. At this point, it seems like the Jags have the leverage. MJD can play on his contract for a crappy team, or force their hand to trade him. In the end, I think a trade makes the most sense for both parties. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also, I'm sick of reading the same #### about Khan being a self-made billionaire or what not so everyone needs to listen to him and he knows better. Not every owner is like Mark Cuban. There are owners that are self-made billionaires that have failed at owning a team. It's too early to tell but Khan isn't starting too well.
:shrug: He's in a better situation to make an educated decision than people on a fantasy football forum.

'GDogg said:
'stbugs said:
'GDogg said:
'yellowdog said:
Question for those that say he deserves to paid: IF MJD had failed to produce the first 3 years of his deal, do you think he would've given money back to the Jags? I thought not. I'm with the owner on this one.
Right, hence the almost $18M guaranteed. Even if he got cut, he would have been rewarded handsomely. Heck, if MJD thought he would play so well and rates for RBs would be so much better, why not get franchised the first two years and then sign a better market deal after that? Why not sign a 3 year deal and be a FA now? He signed a great deal at the time and was pretty much golden that he would get paid for all 5 years barring a catastrophic injury. His deal was team friendly in years 4 and 5.He is just pissed that other (much younger) RBs are now showing him up contract wise and he wants a big deal for an aging RB and I agree with JAX's stance. As said above, Jacksonville doesn't become a playoff team again signing MJD to a fat deal. With the rookie cap in place now, their best shot is to trade him and be awful and get a great player at a decent price next year. Heck, if they play well without him, all it means is that Gabbert turned the corner, which is the single biggest thing that could turn them into a playoff contender. That or the #1 spot in the draft and some stud QB is available in the draft.
I completely understand how contract negotiation works. I'm not really sure what you're arguing here. I suppose I shouldn't have responded to the previous poster because I don't really care one way or the other. I'm generally in favor of players, particularly in the NFL which is a sport that essentially destroys a person's body, getting paid as much as they possibly can while they can, but I also can see it from the team's perspective.And, I also think the argument someone above made of, "well, I'm just an average joe and $4.5M is a boatload of money to me, so Maurice should just take it and like it," is one of the dumbest arguments fans can make. Sports and athletes (and entertainers) are unique from most of the rest of the working world in that they are not only employees, but they are the product. Of course they get paid more than the average fan. Think about it, fans pay to go watch them do their job. Does anyone pay to watch you do yours? And, the owners and the league make a ton of money off of the work these guys do and the stuff they do to their bodies for our entertainment.That being said, I don't think the Jaguars pay and they probably shouldn't. On the flip side, Maurice is a player who has entertained me for the last decade. Like most players, he's probably going to have some physical problems when he retires and the league doesn't exactly take care of these guys once they are done with them. For running backs, the window to earn money is even smaller. For his sake, I hope he gets paid and I understand why he's doing it.
Good post. I feel the same way. Calling the athletes greedy or what not is just ludicrous. Once they are done with football, the NFL will not help them out with medical issues directly related from playing football. Owners make way more than the players in most cases. It's mind-boggling to me some of these broke ### Joes side with the owners. I suppose the hate stems from jealousy...
Jealousy of the players.

:shrug: He's in a better situation to make an educated decision than people on a fantasy football forum.
Like I said not every self-made billionair owners are like Mark Cuban.

Mark Cuban is barely Mark Cuban. But I agree completely.

'Run It Up said:
'ericttspikes said:
That was my only point, was do you think they win more without him.I would prefer he played somewhere else in the NFL and Jags floundered.

But Khan has said he wont trade him, which creates a situation. He either wont be traded and they are gonna sit on mjd. Or no team in the NFL will give them a reasonable offer.

If he just went about it like any other team, blah blah blah player troubles, looking to move him. They could have easily gotten a first for MJD.

There is noway even if they said they would trade him today someone makes that offer.
:no: Maybe I'm forgetting something, but when was the last time a RB was traded for a 1st round pick?

I'm guessing Ricky Williams in '02, which is even more crazy as he was actually traded for 1st round picks on 2 separate occasions

Not technically a 1st, but Portis ('04) was traded for Bailey and a 2nd, so that was obviously quite a haul.

I'm sure Redskins fans are really glad that trade happened.

No RB is worth a 1st round pick, imo, but if you are going to waste one on a RB, at least go draft a young, cheap one instead of using it on an old, expensive one.

He's actually owning you at every turn, but don't let that get in the way.
:goodposting:

'12punch said:
'GDogg said:
What are you talking about? A signing bonus is paid before you perform.
I'm pretty sure if you paid for a good or service up front and it wasn't delivered you'd be looking to get your money back.mjd took his money up front -- kind of hard to say he 'outperformed' a 5 yr deal when he only delivered on 3 years.
With all due respect, this smacks of naivete. This is the NFL. This isn't hiring a gardener. Teams generally do not expect to pay players for the last year or two on second and third contracts. The tools in contract disputes are hold outs (for individual players), strikes (for the entire union) and lockouts (for the owners). And, if a player is not performing as the organization likes and thinks it is worth, they can cut the player. The owners used one of their weapons last year when they locked out the players. The players have used strikes in the past and individual players hold out all the time with varying degrees of success. It's as if you just starting following the NFL and know nothing about their contracts.

Maurice Drew wouldn't have signed with the Jaguars if he hadn't gotten that signing bonus. It was an inducement to sign.

a signing bonus is a means to pay the player more while ducking around the cap consequences.I thought you knew something about the nfl.

and I don't care what you want to call it -- it is payment up front.

if you want to call it an 'inducement to sign', it was an inducement to sign a 5 yr deal -- not a 3 yr deal.

which is why they will be able to collect part of it back when he fails to honor the remainder of the contract.

if you want to be an authority on something maybe learn a little about it first.
What is it exactly that you think you are refuting?Signing bonuses are good for the team because they can spread the cap hit over the years of the contract. They are good for the player because they get the money up front. If they were not included in the contract, the player would not sign with that team.

I like your posting style. One sentence, hit enter. One sentence, hit enter. It looks very nice.

'GDogg said:
'stbugs said:
'GDogg said:
'yellowdog said:
Jealousy of the players.
but don't the owners make way more money?

Please let me know how he can "succeed" with this whole contract dispute.

'Run It Up said:
'massraider said:
I wouldn't go so far as to call it taunting. I would say Khan is making his position clear: He is not going to cave in. Is what he said that insulting? Is MJD so sensitive to get all butt-hurt because Khan said what he said?
Has your boss ever insulted you?In front of coworkers?In front of everyone?Its always beyond insulting.I think Khan is a joke of an owner. I also think MJD caves and still plays. But I want nothing more for him to land on any other team. Sorry Jax fans, your franchise is quickly approaching the Jets in terms of being just a complete joke of a franchise.
Lol young'n, this isn't like your boss @ k-mart yelling at you for fetching carts wrong.And you couldn't be more wrong about Jax, I don't know where you get your so called 'opinions' from, but they are about as far off base as could be possible.I bet you're a tebow lover aren't you? splains alot.

So any of you actually have any real INFO on this situation or you ladies just in here comparing purse sizes still?

Avoiding MJD like the plague. Jennings has looked fantastic and has at least earned significant playing time. In a 12 team I would not take him until at least 3.01.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Maurice Jones-Drew's holdout appears far from over.

His agent, Adisa Bakari, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the Jacksonville Jaguars running back is upset with owner Shad Khan's recent public comments about his client's 27-day holdout.

In light of Khan's remarks, Jones-Drew is also now open to being traded, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"Maurice wants to play for an organization that wants him and for an owner who respects him and values what he brings to a team -- on the field, in the locker room and in the community," Bakari said.

When asked Tuesday whether he would trade Jones-Drew, Khan said he is "not going to get into all the theses and hypotheses." Khan added that Jones-Drew is "a great player, and we would love for him to be back."

Last week, however, Khan said MJD's absence "doesn't even move the needle" in terms of stress. Khan reiterated his stance Tuesday by saying, "This is not a team about one person."

His message to Jones-Drew?

"Train's leaving the station. Run, get on it," Khan said.

Bakari made it clear that those statements don't sit well with Jacksonville's biggest star.

"Obviously, he's not happy that what started as a very cordial and private conversation is now public and contentious," Bakari said.

Now, with both sides seemingly digging their heels in as deeply as possibly, it is unclear when or if Jones-Drew will show up in Jacksonville. The Jaguars open the season Sept. 9 at Minnesota.

Jones-Drew's holdout is fairly simple. He wants a new deal after leading the NFL with 1,606 yards rushing last season. He has two years remaining on a five-year, front-loaded contract worth $31 million. He is scheduled to make $4.45 million this season and $4.95 million in 2013.

Khan and general manager Gene Smith insist they have no plans to negotiate a new deal with MJD, not wanting to set a precedent of paying players with two years remaining on lucrative deals that included large signing bonuses.

Jones-Drew skipped the team's entire offseason workout program, including a mandatory, three-day minicamp last month. If new coach Mike Mularkey is fining Jones-Drew the maximum allowed under the collective bargaining agreement -- $20,000 for each day of minicamp and $30,000 for each day since training camp opened -- the total is up to $870,000.

Mularkey said Tuesday he has had no recent contact with Jones-Drew or his agent.

I guess now that he's actually open to getting traded they can go ahead and proceed with that

Lolz

He's also open to getting paid more, right?

'Run It Up said:
'massraider said:
I wouldn't go so far as to call it taunting. I would say Khan is making his position clear: He is not going to cave in. Is what he said that insulting? Is MJD so sensitive to get all butt-hurt because Khan said what he said?
Has your boss ever insulted you?In front of coworkers?In front of everyone?Its always beyond insulting.I think Khan is a joke of an owner. I also think MJD caves and still plays. But I want nothing more for him to land on any other team. Sorry Jax fans, your franchise is quickly approaching the Jets in terms of being just a complete joke of a franchise.
Lol young'n, this isn't like your boss @ k-mart yelling at you for fetching carts wrong.And you couldn't be more wrong about Jax, I don't know where you get your so called 'opinions' from, but they are about as far off base as could be possible.I bet you're a tebow lover aren't you? splains alot.
Cute, its like I really am in the FFA board.

'yellowdog said:
He would have been cut by now. That is why I have no problem with players holding out in these scenarios. MJD has vastly outplayed his contract, so he wants more. On the flip side, players who vastly underplay their contracts usually get cut. It goes both ways.
CJ2K grossly underperformed his contract. I don't recall seeing any news where the Titans cut him. :rolleyes:

'yellowdog said:
He would have been cut by now. That is why I have no problem with players holding out in these scenarios. MJD has vastly outplayed his contract, so he wants more. On the flip side, players who vastly underplay their contracts usually get cut. It goes both ways.
CJ2K grossly underperformed his contract. I don't recall seeing any news where the Titans cut him. :rolleyes:
Im sure there was a clause in there about him getting less than 2000 yards.

I usually tend to agree with the player in these situations but often times it's a player on their rookie deal that's being underpaid. In this case, MJD was paid generous up front and he's performed very well...now the money is leveling off and he wants to reup...I don't blame him for trying but I don't side with him in this situation.
This is where I disagree. MJD wasn't paid generously upfront. When he signed this deal, he was basically the second most valuable RB in football. If they had a redraft of every player in the NFL at that time, my guess is MJD goes second after Peterson (which is where he was going in fantasy drafts). On the open market, he would have gotten a huge deal.But the Jags had him for pennies on the dollar, so he had to negotiate an extension that was nowhere near generous. It was a great deal -- for the Jags. And they've consistently come up under the cap since then, so it's not like his deal was hurting the team.

Somewhere on the outskirts of the standoff between Maurice Jones-Drew and the Jacksonville Jaguars, the collective psyche of millions of fantasy football enthusiasts hangs in the balance.Fantasy owners want concrete answers -- not theories -- about Jones-Drew's status for Week 1. The running back, largely silent in recent months, voiced optimism Wednesday."I think things are going to work out ... everything's going to be good," Jones-Drew told NFL.com's Marcas Grant during a DirecTV-sponsored video teleconference.Perhaps more telling, MJD -- a rabid fantasy player -- promised to draft himself first, as he's done every season. Unless he's out to tank his league, this is encouraging chatter.

"I think things are going to work out ... everything's going to be good," Jones-Drew told NFL.com's Marcas Grant
Translation: "I now realize they called my bluff. Hopefully in time people will forget I was a jackass."

Where would you take Jennings in a dynasty rookie draft. I have one coming up in about 30 minutes and I am considering him. I'm having a hard time finding a reason to take Hillman before him. He's free agent next year right?

I usually tend to agree with the player in these situations but often times it's a player on their rookie deal that's being underpaid. In this case, MJD was paid generous up front and he's performed very well...now the money is leveling off and he wants to reup...I don't blame him for trying but I don't side with him in this situation.
This is where I disagree. MJD wasn't paid generously upfront. When he signed this deal, he was basically the second most valuable RB in football. If they had a redraft of every player in the NFL at that time, my guess is MJD goes second after Peterson (which is where he was going in fantasy drafts). On the open market, he would have gotten a huge deal.But the Jags had him for pennies on the dollar, so he had to negotiate an extension that was nowhere near generous. It was a great deal -- for the Jags. And they've consistently come up under the cap since then, so it's not like his deal was hurting the team.
HUH??At the time that contract was signed, he was the 3rd highest paid RB in football with a $17.5M check put in his pocket (guaranteed portion).

2009 Rushing Yds/Game

1. Chris Johnson*+ · TEN 125.4

2. Cedric Benson · CIN 96.2

3. Steven Jackson* · STL 94.4

4. Thomas Jones · NYJ 87.6

5. Maurice Jones-Drew* · JAX 86.9

6. Adrian Peterson*+ · MIN 86.4

7. DeAngelo Williams* · CAR 85.9

8. Ray Rice* · BAL 83.7

9. Frank Gore* · SFO 80.0

10. Michael Turner · ATL 79.2

He signed that contract in April of 2009, so before the star of the season. Meaning, he signed that contract after the 2008 season, after he was RB13 in terms of yards from scrimmage and RB16 in total touches (Thanks to Hoosier16 for that info). But yet was paid as the NFL's RB3. He got a good deal..Jacksonville didn't hold him over anything.

So, what can you tell me about Rashad Jennings?
He is the Javon Ringer of the Jaguars.Hes had a good game and has been absolutely lack luster everywhere but training camp during MJD's holdout.
:no: Jennings has a 5.4 career YPC. Ringer isn't anywhere near that.Jennings was a good flex option down the stretch during 2010. From week 12 on he scored less than double digits only once in a standard .5 PPR league (only 2 of those games he started due to an injury to MJD). He's a decent receiver and a 3-down RB. I seem to remember talk of his COP role possibly expanding prior to landing on IR least year. If he fills in for MJD I expect him to produce decent RB2 numbers due both to his ability and his opportunity (he should get the lion's share of the RB touches while MJD is out). If MJD is back I expect Jennings to be a borderline flex play toward the beginning of the year with the chances of his touches lessening as MJD gets into the flow.

HUH??At the time that contract was signed, he was the 3rd highest paid RB in football with a $17.5M check put in his pocket (guaranteed portion).

2009 Rushing Yds/Game

1. Chris Johnson*+ · TEN 125.4

2. Cedric Benson · CIN 96.2

3. Steven Jackson* · STL 94.4

4. Thomas Jones · NYJ 87.6

5. Maurice Jones-Drew* · JAX 86.9

6. Adrian Peterson*+ · MIN 86.4

7. DeAngelo Williams* · CAR 85.9

8. Ray Rice* · BAL 83.7

9. Frank Gore* · SFO 80.0

10. Michael Turner · ATL 79.2

He signed that contract in April of 2009, so before the star of the season. Meaning, he signed that contract after the 2008 season, after he was RB13 in terms of yards from scrimmage and RB16 in total touches (Thanks to Hoosier16 for that info). But yet was paid as the NFL's RB3. He got a good deal..Jacksonville didn't hold him over anything.
In the summer of 2009, the only person more valuable than Jones-Drew on your list would be Peterson. You think Thomas Jones was a more valuable commodity than MJD? Do you think the Jaguars would have traded MJD for Cedric Benson? Come on.And his large signing bonus came with a huge anchor -- a five year deal. Do you think that might cause a problem for him one day? It was nowhere near a market deal or a good deal for MJD.

Users who are viewing this thread