What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mock Draft with Bloom, Waldman, Bramel at 10am 08/01/2011 (1 Viewer)

There's thinking outside the box, and then there's silly. Sorry Matt, Witten at 1.1 was silly, regardless of scoring system. When there are so few 'feature' RBs in fantasy ball, if you have a chance at one, you take it, then be 'sneaky' with your 2nd rounder if you want to attract attention. But then again, I'm not an expert.
not sure if you read Matt's post, if you did you should read it again.
I did. And I still think it was silly. What am I missing?
that Witten was the #3 overall player in the league and the position turnover analysis. I think his explanation is very rational and methodical. I can possibly see debating a different TE but based on the scoring system TE's are valuable and he's looking for a consistent and reliable one and while Gates would fit the bill ordinarily his injury history knocked him down.
Whether it works out or not, I appreciate you understand the logic behind it. Because it is pretty logical.
lol, logic is my life... :nerd:

I think you are failing to consider the impact that a healthy Miles Austin and presumably better Dez Bryant will have on Witten's numbers. One reason Witten got so many receptions was because those two guys were not what they will be this year. I'd be very surprised if Witten comes close to either his receptions or TD numbers from last year.
That and the fact that Dallas D was attrocious last year leading to shootouts etc... Has to improve this year.

Witten's last two years with Romo

2009 - 1030 yards 2 TDs

2010 - 900 yards 3-4 TDs (extrapolated full season using first six weeks when Romo played)

Last edited by a moderator:
(I don't even know why I am commenting since it a mock draft. It not like it counts for anything.)
While we're not playing for fabulous cash and prizes, there may or may not be significant bragging rights and/or interesting side bets in play. The twelve of us are taking this pretty seriously as it's likely to generate discussion on Twitter, podcast circuits, and probably a number of message boards and industry outlets along the way.

Witten at #1 is a ridiculous pick due to the fact that he was a guarantee to be there at #24.

0 value even if he produces as Waldman hopes.

Convincing Waldman to join FBG was one of the best moves you guys have made in a long time. He adds a ton to this site. Please keep him happy.

-- not Matt's mom

Witten at #1 is a ridiculous pick due to the fact that he was a guarantee to be there at #24. 0 value even if he produces as Waldman hopes.
Would love to hear where other participants had him going.
I have four TEs in my top tier. I don't know that I'd have drafted one with a later first round pick, but they'd have been considered. Had I had one significantly above the rest, they'd have been a consideration for sure.This draft is going exactly as I'd hoped. We've got a group of owners not afraid to buck established consensus and stay true to the values on the draft board based on the parameters of the league. Four backs, a quarterback, two defensive ends, and a tight end are now off the board in the first eight picks. I honestly think this system allows an argument (depending on your positional rankings) for a RB, TE, DE, DT as your first round pick and very possibly a QB or WR or LB as well. The only positions I'd not consider in the first round are CB and S, though someone might argue that one safety might deserve first round consideration. I had five RBs, two DEs, and a DT with grades close enough to consider as the 1.01. One WR, three DEs, two QBs and a LB were just outside that tier. Had I thought one TE stood out above the other three, he'd have had a 1.01-ish potential grade, too.And you better believe it pained me to take an offensive player in this setup.

I'll give credit for having the courage of your convictions, but wow. By its nature, a "balanced" scoring league shouldn't have a bunch of Tight Ends taken in the 1st 2 rounds. Therefore, I just can't see Witten being the best pick unless you think Witten is far and away the best TE. If you do, then I suppose it's a good pick.

LHUCKS posted Witten's numbers with Romo in 2009 and extrapolated 2010. They amount to somewhere near 80 catches for 1,000 yards and 4 TDs. In that scoring system and if I was as averse to Gates's foot, I'd still have Clark and Finley above Witten, and I'd be giving consideration to Vernon Davis and Owen Daniels. I just can't see how the better move wouldn't be to wait until the 2nd to take Witten/Clark/Finley/Gates/VD/Daniels and if none were available, you take a Zach Miller or Kellen Winslow in the mid-rounds.

There's thinking outside the box, and then there's silly. Sorry Matt, Witten at 1.1 was silly, regardless of scoring system. When there are so few 'feature' RBs in fantasy ball, if you have a chance at one, you take it, then be 'sneaky' with your 2nd rounder if you want to attract attention. But then again, I'm not an expert.
not sure if you read Matt's post, if you did you should read it again.
I did. And I still think it was silly. What am I missing?
that Witten was the #3 overall player in the league and the position turnover analysis. I think his explanation is very rational and methodical. I can possibly see debating a different TE but based on the scoring system TE's are valuable and he's looking for a consistent and reliable one and while Gates would fit the bill ordinarily his injury history knocked him down.
Whether it works out or not, I appreciate you understand the logic behind it. Because it is pretty logical.
lol, logic is my life... :nerd:
It could perhaps move from 'silly' to 'outside the box' if he had, say the 1.5+. But at the top of the draft, you grab a guy who's going to tote the rock on a regular basis, because there are only a couple of them anymore. If you want a "consistent" TE in a featured scoring system, I guarantee you one will be there in the 2nd round.You don't just look at the numbers at 1.1 and say "TE". You just don't.

Witten's last two years with Romo2009 - 1030 yards 2 TDs2010 - 900 yards 3-4 TDs (extrapolated full season using first six weeks when Romo played)
We don't see eye-to-eye very often, but we are on the same page here. As I noted earlier, Kitna favored Witten at the expense of Austin. Also Dez Bryant was a rookie and not fully in the mix all season. Add to this, if Felix Jones is not in some sort of RBBC, he also should see some targets on passing downs. All of these factors suggest to me than Witten is unlikely to put up the numbers he did last year. I may be wrong on this, but this appears to me as an example of looking at the numbers, but not what's behind the numbers.

I love the system. Nothing is more boring than playing in multiple leagues all with the same scoring format.
I agree.And I'm going to neither attack nor defend Matt's selection, but I think a large part of the negativity toward it can be attributed to the "not-the-kind-of-league-I-play-in-so-it's-unfamiliar-and-therefore-nuts/wrong" groupthink.It's an "oddball" scoring system that pretty much throws most generic, conventional wisdom out the window. I like it.

It could perhaps move from 'silly' to 'outside the box' if he had, say the 1.5+. But at the top of the draft, you grab a guy who's going to tote the rock on a regular basis, because there are only a couple of them anymore. If you want a "consistent" TE in a featured scoring system, I guarantee you one will be there in the 2nd round.You don't just look at the numbers at 1.1 and say "TE". You just don't.
Maybe all this debate can be solved if someone will just look at the scoring and do a VBD analysis on the top couple picks at each position for this draft. I feel pretty confident that half the people drafting have a VBD up on their computers right now, so it shouldn't be too hard. If Witten is within +/- 5% of the VBD scores for top few RBs, then it's a defensible pick. If he's not, then ... well maybe Waldman was just trying to make a splash.

Maybe all this debate can be solved if someone will just look at the scoring and do a VBD analysis on the top couple picks at each position for this draft. I feel pretty confident that half the people drafting have a VBD up on their computers right now, so it shouldn't be too hard. If Witten is within +/- 5% of the VBD scores for top few RBs, then it's a defensible pick. If he's not, then ... well maybe Waldman was just trying to make a splash.
If your convinced your strategy is right, then you go for it. This kind of league, your either 1st or it doesn't matter. It's all about the bragging and no one cares about the losers.

According to the parameters to which I have me DD set, Witten was the #17 overall selection (using Dodds' projections). He's the #1 overall TE, ahead of Gates (by 20 pts, 10 VBD slots overall) and Clark (22 pts, 12 VBD slots). Depending on what you think of Dodds' projections (85-935-7) relative to the top TEs and your feeling about the other positions (see Matt's defense), there's room for movement in the VBD parameters. I won't be drafting strictly by the VBD suggested by Dodds' projections. I'd have the top TE around the VBD 12th overall looking loosely at the list.

This is the kind of league, even in just hearing those observing the draft, that shows those who understand how to determine the value of a player in any league format, versus those who have learned what works in their league but don't truly understand why it works in their league, and so don't understand when it doesn't work.

This is the kind of league, even in just hearing those observing the draft, that shows those who understand how to determine the value of a player in any league format, versus those who have learned what works in their league but don't truly understand why it works in their league, and so don't understand when it doesn't work.
exactly. And now 3 TE are off the board by pick 2.4. So perhaps Matt W is crazy like a fox......

I remember a similar thread last year (not sure which staffer was in the draft) but it was the same thing where the staffer was ripped for his picks in an oddball scoring system league. I forget the exact record but toward the end of the year the staffer was nearly or was undefeated and absolutely crushed the league. To make snap judgements based on one pick, let alone an entire draft is silly...you have to watch how it plays out but ultimately it's like the NFL draft or free agency, everyone has their "winners and losers" but they are rarely right in the end. I think Waldman is a terrific talent evaluator and he knows his stuff much moreso than 99% of the posters on here.
The thread you're remembering from last year was ripping John Norton, and yes, he absolutely crushed that league when it was played out.

exactly. And now 3 TE are off the board by pick 2.4. So perhaps Matt W is crazy like a fox......
I don't have a problem with TE, I just have a problem with the particular TE he chose.

I don't have a problem with TE, I just have a problem with the particular TE he chose.
Which was the same issue I had.

What's wrong with some of you guys? How about asking him for his rationale instead of the smartass comments? How old are some of you? I mean damn, as much knowledge as there is in the Shark Pool, unfortunately there's just as much who rather piss in the pool rather than contribute something useful.

The first thing I said to myself when I saw Witten go #1 was WTF. The second thing I did was click on the scoring system. Once I saw the scoring system for TEs, it wasn't that hard to eliminate guys like Gates, Finley (injury concerns), Vernon Davis (QB) and Dallas Clark who has a combination of both due to injury and Manning's questionable health.

Witten is clearly the lowest risk at the TE position. The above mentioned TEs would probably all go in the top 2 or 3 rounds and all of them can single handedly destroy a draft if their injuries or QB situations net them a down year.

Would I draft Witten #1? No, but it's not as ridicilous as some of you make it out to be.

Waldman is the best staffer this site has IMO. Due to the scoring system being so heavily skewed towards TE, the pick seems more than fine to me. 90 for 1000 typical Witten numbers equates to 135 for 1500 which is a safe bet to beat all receivers. Go Matt Go. I also believe Waldman feels that the few catches Roy managed to make might go to Mr. Witten.

Witten at #1 is a ridiculous pick due to the fact that he was a guarantee to be there at #24. 0 value even if he produces as Waldman hopes.
21 picks in - 5 TEs gone, 4 DEs gone, only 6 RBs gone, and one DT. not your father's FF scoring system. doesn't look like witten would have been there, does it?

I think you are failing to consider the impact that a healthy Miles Austin and presumably better Dez Bryant will have on Witten's numbers. One reason Witten got so many receptions was because those two guys were not what they will be this year. I'd be very surprised if Witten comes close to either his receptions or TD numbers from last year.
Im not so sure about this.With those guys getting the D's attention, Witten should money in the middle all year.He might not get the TD's, but he'll get plenty of receptions. I think Witten might actually benefit from the situation.AND, Romo spreads the ball around. AND, besides, Witten is a big part of the offense.

(I don't even know why I am commenting since it a mock draft. It not like it counts for anything.)
While we're not playing for fabulous cash and prizes, there may or may not be significant bragging rights and/or interesting side bets in play. The twelve of us are taking this pretty seriously as it's likely to generate discussion on Twitter, podcast circuits, and probably a number of message boards and industry outlets along the way.
All of which added to the reasoning behind the pick, I'm sure. Not a bad idea.

So far as usual I am loving Jene's picks!! Ray Rice is poised to be the #1 RB in this format, landing Finley in the mid 2nd is robbery if he can play all season!!! Johnson in the third is sick and I think he will out score Jared Allen taken in the first round. Cant wait to see the next couple rounds!!

Also all those giving Waldman crap about taking a TE that has averaged 90 rec and 1000 yards in this format, I will say one thing!!! CAN I JOIN YOUR LEAGUE!!! read the scoring before you make an ### out of your self on the forum!!

First let me say I hate the Cowboys!!! Witten has had talent around him most of his career and still produces the targets!!! Why you ask because who is going to cover him when everyone is focused on Dez and Austin? Some poor SLB that is way miss matched and thanks to the field being spread out by Dez and Austin he can low crawl 5 yards before a defender contest him!!!

Witten's last two years with Romo2009 - 1030 yards 2 TDs2010 - 900 yards 3-4 TDs (extrapolated full season using first six weeks when Romo played)
We don't see eye-to-eye very often, but we are on the same page here. As I noted earlier, Kitna favored Witten at the expense of Austin. Also Dez Bryant was a rookie and not fully in the mix all season. Add to this, if Felix Jones is not in some sort of RBBC, he also should see some targets on passing downs. All of these factors suggest to me than Witten is unlikely to put up the numbers he did last year. I may be wrong on this, but this appears to me as an example of looking at the numbers, but not what's behind the numbers.
2008 - 1145 yards 7 TD, also with Romo.No sense in utilizing an unnecessarily small sample size to prove a point.I came here to post that I thought Witten's 9 TD's were too much of a statistical outlier to be considered for a repeat but decided to check the numbers first and I'm wrong. 4 out of his 7 seasons as a starter and focal point of the offense, he has 6+ TDs. Throw that in with averages of 91 receptions for 1032 yards the last 4 years and I'll be the one over here in the corner with his foot in his mouth. Not sure I would have made that pick but certainly can't slam it considering the scoring format and that level of production over the last 4 seasons.

Would love to be in a league like this. :thumbup:
I transitioned both of my leagues to a format that this is similar to in that it provides more parity across the positions, though we did more of it with more roster spots than with that kind of bump in scoring. 1 QB, 2 RB, 1 flex QB/RB. 4 WR, 2 TE, 1 flex WR/TE. Plus a full 4-3 defense like here, with DE and CB separate from DT and safety. Though we don't have our defensive scoring quite equal to the offense... it's slightly below because I think defensive players are harder to predict than offensive players, so I didn't want them exactly on par. I wanted the offensive/defensive scoring to be a 60/40 ratio.End result was you could really tell the people who understood how to determine value vs those who didn't. Even though I gave the entire league heads up that each position would be closer to RB in value, people stuck with what they'd learned in old leagues. The best RB went for $170 when I had the top player (a QB) valued at just over $100, and the top RB I had being worth around $90 that season.6 years later, after everyone has had enough time in the system to learn through experience what the value should be? Top RBs are $94 and $90 and there are a QB and TE in the $90 range as well. There should be WRs up there as well but the top ones had low priced contracts from before they hit elite that are just ending this year.

While there is no way I draft Witten at 1.01, it is far from a ridiculous pick. Matt has his reasons and since he's the one drafting those are the reasons that matter most.

Going into this draft, he obviously felt it was necessary to get a top tier TE. Witten, Gates, Finley, whoever you have at #1 is going to give you an edge every week. He went the safe route and there is nothing wrong with that.

I think because of how balanced every position is, that he didn't get any value with Witten at 1.01. The top TE's are going to be spread out because other owners are going to try and acquire top players at other positions too. Granted, it's completely up in the air at this point, but if Graham, Daniels or even Zach Miller are there at the 4/5 turn, then I think Matt would like to change the 1.01. Obviously depending on how he has those guys projected. I personally don't see a big enough gap between those TE's and Witten to justify Witten at #1. I see a big difference between the top RB's and what RB's are going to be available at the 4/5 turn.

The bottom line is that you can't completely write off a draft after one pick. Especially if the drafter is a respected fantasy football owner.

Bump.

Bloom destroyes this league. Drafted 4 of the top scorers.

Witten ended up being TE5 for Waldman - only finished 153 points behind Gronk! lol

I don't know about the rest of you, but it means a lot to me to know Matt Waldman thinks Witten will be the #1 TE of 2012.

'The Comedian said:
Bump.Bloom destroyes this league. Drafted 4 of the top scorers.Witten ended up being TE5 for Waldman - only finished 153 points behind Gronk! lol
Sigmund Bloom.....absolutely destroyed this league.... lol

Users who are viewing this thread