What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most hopeless franchise? (1 Viewer)

Which team will not make the playoffs in the next 5 years?

• Lions

Votes: 76 26.9%
  • Titans

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 49ers

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • Bucs

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Bears

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Jags

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Texans

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Browns

Votes: 97 34.3%
  • Raiders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Redskins

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • Chargers

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Which team of those listed has no chance at all of making the playoffs for the next 5 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Browns have the unfortunate combination of being allergic to franchise quarterbacks and hilariously inept and drafting talent, while being stuck in a division with two model franchises and the suddenly lethal Bengals. The don't have a hope.

Your missing my team for this poll

San Diego Chargers

Here is why:

1) most of the teams above have started turning their clubs around, example Jacksonville with an offense that is improving

2) San Diego is in the unfortunate position of being with the up and coming Raiders and a Chiefs team that is and will continue to improve and play up to their higher level of talent than results have shown

3) questions about their QB staying with them after a move to LA

4) aging TE that gets way to many targets and will continue to hamper the offense along with them likely losing a great young TE prospect in Green

4) Allen will be like Calvin has been in Detroit as one of the only weapons of note on the team

5) Defense that has no easy fix to be a top 10 unit to overcome the lack of ability to win shootouts

I should point out that while the Lions look to suck right now, they will have the benefit of just flat out losing and being able to stock up on top young talent while San Diego will be stuck in the mid tier purgatory of just missing the playoffs each year.

Raiders don't belong on the list.

I voted Lions....though call between them and the Browns.

The Lions have talent, they are just a rudderless ship right now. The Browns, now that's a mess.

Anybody with hope at QB has an advantage. I wouldn't bet on Tampa or Tennessee for that reason alone.

Cleveland and Chicago right there at the top.

Lions aren't in bad shape in competing for a playoff spot in future years. A competent coaching staff is all they need. They have 30+ million free cap space this off season with no big name guys to resign. Sign a few guys, a couple high draft picks, a last place schedule and a competent coaching and they can compete for a playoff spot next year.

If we're talking about winning a super bowl in the next 10 years then move the lions to the top of the hopeless list. No chance until a new owner is in the box.

Which team of those listed has no chance at all of making the playoffs for the next 5 years?
If you have a young franchise qb you have a better chance of making the playoffs in the next 5 years. So I'll remove the Bucs, Titans, Raiders, and jags.

Same if you have a good coach.

Right now it's hard to say any of these teams have a good coach but the most incompetent coaches (of the remaining teams) appear to be the Lions and bears. I could be very wrong but I think pettine could be a decent coach if he gets talent to work with.

But really, with a 5 year window all of these teams should make the playoffs.

If I had to pick one, I'd bet against the Lions mostly because of their owner.

The Browns have the unfortunate combination of being allergic to franchise quarterbacks and hilariously inept and drafting talent, while being stuck in a division with two model franchises and the suddenly lethal Bengals. The don't have a hope.
Hard to argue with this. Their drafting is always a facepalm. They came out of the stacked 14 draft with Johnny ####head and a bust at CB.

49ers in same boat in a tough division and the talent cupboard is looking thin on both sides of ball.

Titans are really putting forth a fabulous effort here to become the winner of this poll.

Agree with others that QB is #1. #2 which I think is being underrated here is other QBs in your division. I would eliminate the Browns just based on the likelyhood of Flacco being the best QB they'll have to deal with in the division 3-5 years from now. Think I would give the edge to the 49ers & Texans.

Browns. Lions actually made the playoffs twice in the last 5 years. Browns are never getting there. Never.

I voted Texans - no QB and their top RB may have had a career-ending injury. Combine that with Luck and Mariotta in their division and they don't look too good.

Having said that I think others have convinced me that Cleveland is the right answer.

Texans. No QB, no direction in the organization.
How do you have that as your logo, beat the Titans, and then claim this?

Titans messed up 'winning' the first pick in the draft last year. They're determined to 'win' it this year.

What do you want? What's the key here? Draft a top RB? top T? top FB? Maybe followup drafting one of the fastest ILBs with another in consecutive drafts? A couple big fast highly drafted WRs? maybe one of the prized QBs of the draft? Well when ya get all that and still lose...then you let me know.

Each year the Titans get one win. No one knows where it comes from, it's just suddenly in the NFL standings. Titans fans just look at each other like "Do you remember a win? I don't do you" then decide to shush and hope no one notices.

Will your franchise hire a guy who is 1-500 in his last 20 games?

You won the "which franchise from Houston is worst bowl" you are "not allowed" to claim this today!

ETA no reply, hope you realized I was joking around here

Lions have won one playoff game since 57, Browns have 7 in that span and an NFL championship. Sorry Browns fans, you may not have won a damn thing in any sport in a half century but you cant claim to be the worst NFL franchise until you go 0-16 and the Lions win a playoff game.

How far the Raiders have come in just half a year to not only have zero votes, but to have folks in this thread saying they shouldn't even be on this list.

Fwiw, I voted Browns.

Raiders and TB look to be making good strides. JAX might be able to rise from the heap in that AFC south in the next two seasons.

You have almost the whole Afc South in there which is self defeating, because if they're all so bad then the other two can defeat them, and then they just have to get past the Colts, who are proving a franchise QB really can't do it all.

Has to be the Browns. They have serious problems drafting talent. You have to build most of your team through the draft. You cannot keep missing on the first rounds of the draft. Last season's first round draft pick should not be on the sidelines holding a clipboard while the battered journeyman QB is on the field. As a long time Raider fan, I know what terrible drafting looks like.

I voted the New Browns. I know bad football and I can tell you it all starts with the owner. The way they have botched several premium draft opportunities stinks of owner interference and a dummy owner at that. Can't fix stupid. Having said that I pull for that team all the time because of it's incredible fan base.

Futz, on 01 Nov 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:The Lions have talent, they are just a rudderless ship right now. The Browns, now that's a mess.
Where? They have a couple of talented players but the team is not talented overall.

fantasycurse42 said:
Power Monster said:
Raiders and TB look to be making good strides. JAX might be able to rise from the heap in that AFC south in the next two seasons.
The Colts will address their OL in the offseason.
No they won't, they will draft a 2nd rd rated WR in the first round.

Has to be the Browns. Jimmy Haslam looks and acts like Jerry Jones dopey little brother. He will never get it right. Most of us would be better GM's than Farmer.

Chargers. Instead of improving, they're getting worse and just re-signed an older franchise QB who won't have a winning team around him for the rest of his career.

I voted Lions. There is and has been talent there for some time but it is coated in a pasty film of stink. They reek with the stench of disfunctionalizm and are stained with the mud of pervasive losing...

Anybody with hope at QB has an advantage. I wouldn't bet on Tampa or Tennessee for that reason alone.

Cleveland and Chicago right there at the top.
Cutler > Stafford, and I hate Cutler.
Agreed. I usually agree with massraider on stuff - but the anti-Bears (or anti-Cutler) thing makes no sense to me. Except for the Chragers (and Raiders - who don't even belong on the list) Cutler is the best current QB of teams on the list.

It is the Browns or Lions.

Here is the case for the Lions.

Stafford - He just isn't that good. He had one magical year and has been below average since then.

Calvin is getting older, he isn't the dominate receiver that will make everyone else better for much longer.

The offensive line, they have spent multiple early picks on the line and it still stinks.

The defense, they have a couple of nice pieces, but no depth and injuries always happen.

The coaches, we can assume that they will be fired soon, but let's remember this franchise gave Matt Millen a contract extension.

The front office and when they fired Millen they hired his right hand man. Their drafting record is awful.

The ownership - it doesn't matter which Ford is running the team, they don't get it right ever. Even of they do hire all new front office and coaches what are the odds they get it right? Even if they do get it right the new regime is going to want their own people in place so they means 2 more years wasted after this year. So they have 2 chances to make the playoffs if the e new regime gets it right.

Browns. Any organization that thinks Johny Manziel was worth a 1st day (much less 1st round) pick doesn't have a clue. Then as soon as his second season, they bring in a late-30's journeyman QB. At least nab some promising, young toolsy QB off another team's practice squad & try to develop him.

Every other organization at least has hope, as far as I'm concerned. The Browns are ####ed.

49ers.

they were once great. dynasty level greatness.

then they suck. suck for a while. and finally they get a coach that makes them good again. really good. so they run that coach out of town.

now they are tanking games on purpose.

49ers

I'm A fan but Jed York has really has no clue on how to own/run A NFL team.

Kaep has one foot out the door.

Tomsula might last two seasons.Should have never been hired.

Ballka is the real problem.Paraag Marathe too.

Lions have won one playoff game since 57, Browns have 7 in that span and an NFL championship. Sorry Browns fans, you may not have won a damn thing in any sport in a half century but you cant claim to be the worst NFL franchise until you go 0-16 and the Lions win a playoff game.
:lmao:

I forgot about the "defeated season". It was funny listening to Rome that year, he was so excited each week to discuss the Lions' latest loss and their quest for imperfection.

Users who are viewing this thread