What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movies or tv shows that capture the 1980s well? (1 Viewer)

Are we looking at movies/shows that captured the 80s culture or movies/shows that we think helped define it? Something like Die Hard is a classic 80's film but I wouldn't say it reflects any of the 80s culture all that much same with something like Ghostbusters aside from some aerobics on TV and indoor smoking I wouldn't say it has an 80s cultural feel to it.

---------------Free ranging kids

16 Candles

Last American Virgin

Better off Dead

Goonies

Back to the Future

Breakfast Club

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

ET

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Karate Kid

Lost Boys

Weird Science

-------------anti-Russia/commie theme

Rambo

Rocky IV

Red Dawn

War Games (fits both categories really)

For trends and styles all 'brat pack' movies.  Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink

Computers coming of age: War Games, Weird Science

Big

Wall Street

Are we looking at movies/shows that captured the 80s culture or movies/shows that we think helped define it? Something like Die Hard is a classic 80's film but I wouldn't say it reflects any of the 80s culture all that much same with something like Ghostbusters aside from some aerobics on TV and indoor smoking I wouldn't say it has an 80s cultural feel to it.

---------------Free ranging kids

16 Candles

Last American Virgin

Better off Dead

Goonies

Back to the Future

Breakfast Club

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

ET

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Karate Kid

Lost Boys

Weird Science
Add License to Drive to that list.

The Americans was a truly awesome show, and portrayed the 80's pretty accurately IMO.  Even to the point where I found myself thinking "Holy crap was this stuff actually happening in Washington back then and we just didn't know/hear about it?!"

explorers was a pretty great movie where they rode around in a spaceship tiltowirl and that my friends is about as 80s as supply side economics and trying to overthrow the sandoneestas take that to the bank bromigos

also who can forget the lost boys with that lovable scamp corey hame putting on a tour de force using holy water baloons to kill the head vampire and save his scrappy pal mike and that my friends is the true meaning of thanksgiving take that to the bank brochachos 

Most of the movies and shows that came to mind, such as "Wall Street" and "Feris Bueler's Day Off" have been mentioned.  The 80s were also about the cold war so "Target" and "No Way Out" are a couple of movies that I thought of.

What about The Goldbergs episode that was merged with scenes from The Wedding Singer? ;)   :scared:
No idea if that actually exists or not.
Ask and ye shall receive! (Can't find video)

Season 6 Episode 11

This episode crosses over with the 1980s-themed movie The Wedding Singer (1998). The stories overlap with those of the movie as Beverly attends a couple of the events at which Robbie Hart performs. The climax of the episode happens in the same scene from the movie where Robbie wooes Julia on an airplane. This is achieved with footage from the movie, except for when Beverly talks with Jimmie Moore (Jon Lovitz) and when Barry and Lainey interact with Flight Attendant #3 (Shanna Moakler), where both actors reprise their roles from the film.

I was 8/9 in 1980.

Goldbergs is great nostalgia.  Love it.

Americans was great realism.  Love it because of the acting and the story, not as much because of the setting.

Stranger Things does the best at capturing the feel of the 80s, IMO.  Love it because of the authentic 80s feeling more than anything else.  Not saying it's the most authentic, but the feeling is the most authentic to how it felt to live it at the time imo.  I think it has to do with the synthesizers, the music selection, and the visual aesthetics.  This show does those things better than any.

I was 8/9 in 1980.

Goldbergs is great nostalgia.  Love it.

Americans was great realism.  Love it because of the acting and the story, not as much because of the setting.

Stranger Things does the best at capturing the feel of the 80s, IMO.  Love it because of the authentic 80s feeling more than anything else.  Not saying it's the most authentic, but the feeling is the most authentic to how it felt to live it at the time imo.  I think it has to do with the synthesizers, the music selection, and the visual aesthetics.  This show does those things better than any.
This. All of this and so much more. I'm rewatching the first season with my two oldest and it's even better the second time around. 

For trends and styles all 'brat pack' movies.  Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink
Once funny (in retrospect) cultural scene in Pretty in Pink: rich-kid Blaine (Andrew McCarthy) was so well-off, his Mom packed his lunch with real live JUICE BOXES! I guess they were pricey when they first came out. No slummin' it with the school milk for Blaine!

Users who are viewing this thread