What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music and Goosebumps (1 Viewer)

Mr. Ected

Footballguy
Interesting article about how people who get goosebumps from music have a better connection to music.

People who get goosebumps while listening to music are more in touch with their emotions, study shows
A new study shows music-induced chills point to structural differences in the brain

We all react to music differently. For some, it’s a soothing wave, a blanket that mellows us out. For others, it’s a cathartic thing, a way to shake off the shackles of everyday life. A small portion of those might even see a physical reaction to their favorite songs in the form of goosebumps—for this writer, pretty much anything by Sharon Van Etten will do it.

Turns out that those goosebumps can actually tell you something about the structure of your brain. A study by USC PhD student Matthew Sachs, published in Oxford Academic, argues that those who get chills from music have structural differences in the brain. What this means, as explained by Neuroscience, is that these individuals “have a higher volume of fibers that connect their auditory cortex to the areas associated with emotional processing, which means the two areas communicate better.” Basically, you’re subject a wider, richer range of emotions.

The study was only conducted with a small group of 20 people, but Sachs hopes to put his findings to the test in the future, using them as a means of exploring “individual differences in sensory access” to aesthetic reward sensitivity. In an interview with Quartz, Sachs said these revelations could have an impact on the treatment of depressive disorders.

“Depression causes an inability to experience pleasure of everyday things,” he says. “You could use music with a therapist to explore feelings.”

Embrace those goosebumps, people. It means you feel more than the everyday person. And that’s a good thing.
This results in a question about what song(s) gives you goosebumps? Does the same song give you goosebumps at the same time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I've always found that certain voices in music give me goosebumps. Experienced it yesterday as a matter of fact and commented to my daughter. Of the ones I can think of, most of them are rich, soulful, strong female voices. But there have been a few cases where the lyrics caused it. I guess it was something that really hit home at the time. 

For me, a particular Rush song (enough of the nasty comments Rush-haters!! ;) ), called Countdown from their 1982 Signals album almost always hits me, and in the exact same point in the song. For those that don't know, Countdown is a song that describes a Space Shuttle launch; it is the result of the guys from Rush being invited to the first Shuttle launch in 1981. There is a large use of the NASA Public Affairs Announcer's descriptions of the events, as well as communications with the Shuttle crew.

Back at this time, I was a huge space nerd, being 10 at the time of the first launch and 15 at the time of the Challenger disaster. Almost every time I hear the song at about 0:30 in when you hear the sound of the helicopters flying from ear to ear to the PAA saying "This is Shuttle Launch Control" it hits me and I get goosebumps.

two screams (Cocker in "With a li'l Help From Me Friends & Daltrey's "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE") and two opening chords (LNyro's "You Dont Love Me When I Cry" & Prince's "How Come U Dont Call Me Anymore") are positively Pavlovian. the rest is situational

Didn't listen to the whole song, some of the language in the beginning wasn't fit for my little girl in the room!

What I heard was very good, and I love songs where there's just a guy and a guitar!
apologies. there's an F-bomb in the first verse, and then a whole lot of dust in the room. check it out when the little one isn't around. 

Ok, this happened to me this morning while driving to work and listing to "Not Coping" by Clowns.  Below is a description of the song from PunkNews.org:

Of course, I would be remiss not to mention the nine minute closer, “Not Coping”... as far at the back half of the record goes, it certainly steals the show. But the appeal of this track doesn’t lie solely in its length... “Not Coping” has a pretty consistently epic atmosphere to it and a pulsating energy, which doesn’t rely on constant screaming to convey it. Five of “Not Coping”’s nine minutes are devoted to a grand breakdown, with multiple jaw-dropping solos, that, despite their large airtime, never come off as showy or gimmicky.
I realized near the end of that breakdown that I was not only nodding my head pretty significantly, but that I had the goosebumps.  It was neat, I was loving it... then just after the breakdown ends and the and the energy is about to peak... I got a freakin' phone call over bluetooth that completely ruined the moment :hot:   :angry: :wall:  

Jaysus said:
Ok, this happened to me this morning while driving to work and listing to "Not Coping" by Clowns.  Below is a description of the song from PunkNews.org:

I realized near the end of that breakdown that I was not only nodding my head pretty significantly, but that I had the goosebumps.  It was neat, I was loving it... then just after the breakdown ends and the and the energy is about to peak... I got a freakin' phone call over bluetooth that completely ruined the moment :hot:   :angry: :wall:  
I absolutely loathe when this happens but will have to listen to the Clowns now.  

eta*  :thumbup:

eta* liking this album. Like punk news said, it's a bit of a psych rock freakout.  

Too many songs to mention have done this to me at one point or another, but Johnny Cash's version of Hurt probably has the highest goosebumps per listen ratio.

Didn't listen to the whole song, some of the language in the beginning wasn't fit for my little girl in the room!

What I heard was very good, and I love songs where there's just a guy and a guitar!
The use of the f-bomb is so jarring and unexpected in this instance that I consider it one of the greatest uses of profanity in music history.  The rest of the song is brilliant too.

The use of the f-bomb is so jarring and unexpected in this instance that I consider it one of the greatest uses of profanity in music history.  The rest of the song is brilliant too.
Not criticizing in any way, just caught me off guard (as it was probably meant to ;) ) playing it in a room with my 11 y.o. girl! Great song.

Users who are viewing this thread