What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Stock Value Strategy Starts Now (1 Viewer)

Mose said:
Mark Davis said:
Mose said:
FavreCo said:
Mose said:
I shorted 20,000 shares of SIRI at .22 just now.
:thumbup:
? please elaborate.
How much are you trying to make? Risk/reward seems out of whack on that trade to me.
I have under $4500 invested, if I get $500-$1000 in a few hours I will be jumping for joy. If it goes up to 25 cents, I'm out. with my $600 loss.
How did you find a borrow on this?

Mose said:
Mark Davis said:
Mose said:
FavreCo said:
Mose said:
:lmao:
? please elaborate.
How much are you trying to make? Risk/reward seems out of whack on that trade to me.
I have under $4500 invested, if I get $500-$1000 in a few hours I will be jumping for joy. If it goes up to 25 cents, I'm out. with my $600 loss.

Mose said:
Mark Davis said:
Mose said:
FavreCo said:
Mose said:
:pics:
? please elaborate.
:lol:
Hard to believe, but I just asked for 50K from Goldmand and it's out there. I'll be damned.I'm out of DXO completely. Sold 5K at 2.00. I took a pretty big hit on this one. Glad I sold half at 2.54 last week, but by and large, this position worked against everything else I have going for me. Hanging on to UCO at the moment.

Bought more AGQ, DOG, CEF this morning and added a new position - DXD, another short agains the Dow. Watching 7552 level like a hawk.

Mose said:
Mark Davis said:
Mose said:
FavreCo said:
Mose said:
? please elaborate.
:wub:
Hard to believe, but I just asked for 50K from Goldmand and it's out there. I'll be damned.I'm out of DXO completely. Sold 5K at 2.00. I took a pretty big hit on this one. Glad I sold half at 2.54 last week, but by and large, this position worked against everything else I have going for me. Hanging on to UCO at the moment.

Bought more AGQ, DOG, CEF this morning and added a new position - DXD, another short agains the Dow. Watching 7552 level like a hawk.
Why? You don't have the time to wait this one out? :thumbup:

Mose said:
Mark Davis said:
Mose said:
FavreCo said:
Mose said:
? please elaborate.
:goodposting:

Why? You don't have the time to wait this one out? :goodposting:
I bought it with the mindset that oil was poised to head higher, but it's fallen apart and I don't know enough about the futures contracts or the cantango or OPEC or anything else for that matter to stay married to this loser. I'd rather feed my winners than hope for a turn around in my biggest loser YTD.

Mose said:
Mark Davis said:
Mose said:
FavreCo said:
Mose said:
:no:
? please elaborate.
:goodposting:

Why? You don't have the time to wait this one out? :pirate:
I bought it with the mindset that oil was poised to head higher, but it's fallen apart and I don't know enough about the futures contracts or the cantango or OPEC or anything else for that matter to stay married to this loser. I'd rather feed my winners than hope for a turn around in my biggest loser YTD.
Dang.I'm waiting this one out. Russia isn't going to let these prices stay this low forever.

Waiting it out over here too.

I planned to make these investments with hopes of selling in June of July. Time to let it ride and not check on prices for a while.

I hold both OIL and DXO, which are down 21% and 31% from where I bought them.

Bought a bit of DBO today at $16.50. I will average down a bit if need be, but I missed the last time oil hit $35. I'm going to dip a toe in here.

Boy this UCO pummeling this week is non-stop. Looks like my put option I wrote will be executed at 9. Planning on writing a covered call as soon as it executes to help defray even more cost.
I know you are interested in gold plays.Here is one. Sante Fe Gold Corp...SFEG. It is a otc stock. I've owned this for a number of years at around $.10. Though I sold a large position at near $2.00 a while back (maybe 2 years ago...I forget) and all shares I have are essential a lottery ticket for me. Currently it is trading at $1.00. The recent breakout is due to the actual beginning of mining at the Summit mine in N. Mexico. THIS HAS BEEN A LONG DELAYED PROCESS! Estimates of 2 million oz of gold are contained in the mine. In addition they have silver and other industrial minerals in their mining properties. If mining begins ON SCHEDULE the stock should move upwards pretty fast. It is a HIGHLY speculative play. Here is a link to the most recent news...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Santa-Fe-Gol...w-14323461.html

BTW: not sure how anyone here is determining buy and sell points on these oil plays. My opinion on UCO...attractive buy around $6.90 (give or take $.20) and DXO @ $2.15 (give or take $.05)...at least that what my charts say.
Not sure if anyone took a look at SFEG. It's now trading at $1.24. Here is additional information. http://www.beaconrockresearch.com/files/SF...te.09.02.13.pdf

Never know with these kinds of things...should be some kind of pullback but penny stocks can get wild on the ups AND the downs.

Sand DBO at $16.50 is a dang good price.

Bought a bit of DBO today at $16.50. I will average down a bit if need be, but I missed the last time oil hit $35. I'm going to dip a toe in here.
I'm in a little DBO now at an average cost of $18, or will be when options expire. This is a long term holding for me in my IRA. I feel pretty comfortable at these levels. I don't own a lot of it so if it keeps going lower I'll add a bit more.

I don't post in these stock/market threads often. But I just want to say that given this bill hitting Congress today - things could get a lot worse if this bill actually passes. Sure this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. But if this bill passes, it will limit stock repurchases. (This is bad b/c stock repurchases generally help move the market up. Without them, it becomes harder to go up.)Moreover, this bill will hurt dividends. It is my understanding that dividends will still be paid out, but they would be taxed at a higher rate, which leaves yet another reason for people to want to w/draw from the market (thereby again making it hard to move the market up).Generally speaking, long terms holders like to get in the market b/c they think it will go up AND b/c they like dividend payouts.Hopefully this bill won't pass. But if it does - be careful!If someone disagrees with this, I would love to hear why.
Btw, if the bill does pass and I am right about the above, gold could become a good play. But I'd rather the bill just doesn't pass.
Just an FYI since I know so many people just love to jump into trades (and usually (though not always) they do so by going long). Sometimes it is truly better to sit on the sidelines with some cash. I know a lot of guys here love getting in on things. But please consider the comments I made above (only one week ago) and see what's happened overall to the market since.The Dow went from approximately 8150 at the time of the above posts to 7520 now. (Down 7.5%.)Gold (GLD) went from approximately 89.50 to 94.95 now. (Up 6%.)

Last edited by a moderator:
BR33ZE said:
General Malaise said:
Put a sell order on my UCO at .25 cents. Should get there friday at this rate. :rolleyes:
Just put in a buy order for 10,000 units of UCO at .25 cents. Hoping I pick up your lucky shares.
:shrug: I'm green on the day. Gold and Silver are the place to be and shorting the Dow is about to work too.

Profit today = $448 (PRGN)

Year to date profit = $17,565

I hold these positions into tomorrow:

7,000 shares of UCO @8.70 (added 1,000 shares today)

1,000 shares of ESEA @5.49

2,500 shares of EXM @8.25

3,000 shares of SBLK @3.04

At current prices, I am upside down on these securities to the tune of $6,650. As I type this, I am riding this out without stop losses. I hate being upside down, but frankly don't believe the evaluations are correct. I have 6,000 shares set to sell when UCO hits 9.25. I am not going to put sell orders in on Dry Shipping until the BDI shows signs of slowing down.
Now down by about $11,500. Gulp.
Now a loss of about $12,500. Hope he's not watching this.
At the risk of being called a buzzkill, the loss is now ~ $14,500. I'm long oil myself, so this is not fun.
Down $23,675.
Down $31,200.

+1.64% today.

Gold ETFs had a great rally and Silver stocks up nicely. Shorts on the Dow were basically flat. Dow fighting hard not to close under 7552.

+1.64% today.Gold ETFs had a great rally and Silver stocks up nicely. Shorts on the Dow were basically flat. Dow fighting hard not to close under 7552.
I gave my cousin (yes, I have A LOT of cousins) 10k to invest in physical gold & silver this summer. I know he bought me a 1000 gram bar of silver for just under 6k, I haven't gotten around to find out what he did with the rest of it.So I always hope you make a fortune but now even more so.It looks like I'm going to be just about all in on DXO tomorrow, FML.

+1.64% today.Gold ETFs had a great rally and Silver stocks up nicely. Shorts on the Dow were basically flat. Dow fighting hard not to close under 7552.
I gave my cousin (yes, I have A LOT of cousins) 10k to invest in physical gold & silver this summer. I know he bought me a 1000 gram bar of silver for just under 6k, I haven't gotten around to find out what he did with the rest of it.So I always hope you make a fortune but now even more so.It looks like I'm going to be just about all in on DXO tomorrow, FML.
Good luck on DXO. I don't have the stomach to touch that one anymore. I'm holding 500 UCO and will probably just hold on to it since it's down nearly 50% since I bought it, but I got all out of the DXO. FML too.

Been a painful few weeks for me here. I set a stop loss on EXM at 6.25 and it was triggered. My ESEA also was triggered at 4.80 Ouch. The fact that both are even lower though makes this kind of feel right. The BDI is back up at 2,000+ though so I still expect a big rally on these shippers by May/June. I will likely try and add EXM soon as it feels like it is approaching a bottom. Going to watch the shorting action and try and time the rally. I added 2,000 UCO yesterday (once at 5.95 and another at 5.85) on a hunch that the inventory report can't be much worse than expected.

I am officially all in on oil as I ever want to be.

Realized Losses last few days = 5,726

Year to date profit = $11,839

sold 1,000 shares of ESEA - Lost $690 +12

sold 2,500 EXM - Lost $5,000 + 24

I now hold these positions:

9,000 shares of UCO @ $8.08

3,000 shares of SBLK @ $3.04 (too stubborn to set a stop loss...lol)

I stopped trying to figure what I am down regarding UCO and SBLK, but it is substantial. I do not plan on selling at a loss though. I may have to wait for a war for oil to rebound.

A little good news for oil this morning.

U.S. commercial crude oil inventories (excluding those in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve) decreased 0.2 million barrels from the previous week.
We need it that's for sure. Hope it holds up!
This is HUGE news people. Just a few weeks ago the inventory increased 9+ million barrels in a week. OPEC will cut production again at their March meeting. There is still some pressure on the front month oil (March) due to capacity issues at Cushing. Friday is when deliveries are set. I can easily see China and possibly investors gobbling up this inventory though as I think this inventory report + OPEC figured cut is going to drive prices North. I think the next few weeks could be great ones for oil stocks. UCO has also rolled into the May contract so the front month means very little these days. But I still expect the biggest part of this rally to take place early next week before the next inventory report. Despite being extremely upside down here on this stuff I remain optimistic that oil is due for a nice recovery soon.

In its weekly inventory report, the Energy Information Administration said the nation's supplies of crude oil fell 200,000 barrels in the week ended Feb. 13.

Analysts were expecting oil supplies to have grown by 3.5 million barrels, according to a survey by research firm Platts.

It was the first decline in crude stocks since the week ended Dec. 19, when oil inventories shrank by 3.1 million barrels.

Been a painful few weeks for me here. I set a stop loss on EXM at 6.25 and it was triggered. My ESEA also was triggered at 4.80 Ouch. The fact that both are even lower though makes this kind of feel right. The BDI is back up at 2,000+ though so I still expect a big rally on these shippers by May/June. I will likely try and add EXM soon as it feels like it is approaching a bottom. Going to watch the shorting action and try and time the rally. I added 2,000 UCO yesterday (once at 5.95 and another at 5.85) on a hunch that the inventory report can't be much worse than expected.

I am officially all in on oil as I ever want to be.

Realized Losses last few days = 5,726

Year to date profit = $11,839

sold 1,000 shares of ESEA - Lost $690 +12

sold 2,500 EXM - Lost $5,000 + 24

I now hold these positions:

9,000 shares of UCO @ $8.08

3,000 shares of SBLK @ $3.04 (too stubborn to set a stop loss...lol)

I stopped trying to figure what I am down regarding UCO and SBLK, but it is substantial. I do not plan on selling at a loss though. I may have to wait for a war for oil to rebound.
I sure wish that I had set some stops...

General Malaise said:
St. Louis Bob said:
Good luck on DXO. I don't have the stomach to touch that one anymore. I'm holding 500 UCO and will probably just hold on to it since it's down nearly 50% since I bought it, but I got all out of the DXO. FML too.
Thanks GB. I added another 1100 DXO this morning at $1.85.

General Malaise said:
St. Louis Bob said:
Thanks GB. I added another 1100 DXO this morning at $1.85.
Good luck. I'm getting kilt today.

Down to the wire here on my GE put options I wrote for February with a strike of 10. They are only about a nickel out of the money now. I am kind of pulling for those to execute so I can hold that one and write some covered calls while possibly collecting some dividends.

Down to the wire here on my GE put options I wrote for February with a strike of 10. They are only about a nickel out of the money now. I am kind of pulling for those to execute so I can hold that one and write some covered calls while possibly collecting some dividends.
:lmao:

:hophead:
I wrote put options on GE that expire in February. Basically I committed to buying GE for $10/share on February's options expiration, which is the end of trading tomorrow. Obviously if the price was over $10 then the option wouldn't execute. If it's under $10 then I buy 100 shares per contract I wrote at $10. For that promise I made earlier, I was paid about $.65/share. So if it executes, my cost is around $9.35 ($10 purchase price - $.65 collected on each share by writing the put option).I'm saying at that price I like owning some GE. To further reduce cost I can then write" covered" call contracts for say a strike of $10 or $11/share. By covered I mean if I own 500 shares I can write 5 call contracts, which are promises to sell at a certain price. I'll get paid a premium for that as well. If GE rises above the strike price then I have a tidy 10-20% gain in a couple of months. If it doesn't, again my cost is below $9/share and I rinse and repeat to reduce costs even further.

:hophead:
I wrote put options on GE that expire in February. Basically I committed to buying GE for $10/share on February's options expiration, which is the end of trading tomorrow. Obviously if the price was over $10 then the option wouldn't execute. If it's under $10 then I buy 100 shares per contract I wrote at $10. For that promise I made earlier, I was paid about $.65/share. So if it executes, my cost is around $9.35 ($10 purchase price - $.65 collected on each share by writing the put option).I'm saying at that price I like owning some GE. To further reduce cost I can then write" covered" call contracts for say a strike of $10 or $11/share. By covered I mean if I own 500 shares I can write 5 call contracts, which are promises to sell at a certain price. I'll get paid a premium for that as well. If GE rises above the strike price then I have a tidy 10-20% gain in a couple of months. If it doesn't, again my cost is below $9/share and I rinse and repeat to reduce costs even further.
I've never felt dumber... thank you...

Users who are viewing this thread