What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Stock Value Strategy Starts Now (1 Viewer)

A lot of money to be made today. I was watching DXO, UCO, FAS, and UMPQ closely starting at 11 est.

I set my limits all too low and whiffed on everything. DXO and UCO will close up 10% from then, FAS will close up 20%, UMPQ up 16%.

I guess I need to work on my timing!

After two solid days, I am a little leery of jumping in now.

Year to date profit = $10,387

Today:

Sold 2,000 EXM for a $628 profit

sold 2,000 UCO for a $1,672 loss

Sold 2,000 UCO for a $1,332 loss

Net = $2,936 loss

I now hold only these upside down positions (unrealized gains and losses):

5,000 shares of UCO @ $8.08 (current loss of $4,050)

3,000 shares of SBLK @ $3.04 (current loss of $4,500)

But for as violent as this market has been lately and for all the mistakes I have made in the past two months, I am actually thrilled today to just be slightly ahead. I was able to reduce my exposure greatly today with the big uptick in oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of money to be made today. I was watching DXO, UCO, FAS, and UMPQ closely starting at 11 est.I set my limits all too low and whiffed on everything. DXO and UCO will close up 10% from then, FAS will close up 20%, UMPQ up 16%.I guess I need to work on my timing!After two solid days, I am a little leery of jumping in now.
This has been the worst thing for me being so upside down in the oil stuff as it locked me out of some huge gains in the financial sector that I know I would have made.If oil can climb a tad bit higher, I likely am going to dump the rest of my UCO at a loss and play this market a lot different going forward. I plan to buy everything with stop losses and to look for things that appear WAY off what I think make sense. FAS at $4.00 range, DXO at $1.85 area both should have been powerplays by me had my cash been better freed up. Right now I think the Dry Shipping stocks have been ravaged beyond belief. The BDI isn't moving higher yet though so this might just be a sector I look for that great buying day. That usually happens on a day where the NASDAQ melts down and usually towards the end of the trading day.

Ten Yard Fight said:
bigfishboy said:
FAS will close up 20%, UMPQ up 16%.
:banned:
That is hilarious. I constructed that post with numbers from 3:30, thinking that nothing would change much. And they both tanked in the last half hour.Goes to show you what I know!
For the last 6 months the volatility in the last 20 minutes has been much higher than the remainder of the day. That's when all the crazy stuff has been happening.

Ten Yard Fight said:
bigfishboy said:
:)
That is hilarious. I constructed that post with numbers from 3:30, thinking that nothing would change much. And they both tanked in the last half hour.Goes to show you what I know!
For the last 6 months the volatility in the last 20 minutes has been much higher than the remainder of the day. That's when all the crazy stuff has been happening.
I should go back and look before I stick my foot in my mouth, but from what I remember they were relatively static after 2:30 est.Actually, I can't look at intra-day graphs prior to the last 5 busines days on Yahoo. I have looked at a couple other sites and found this as well. Does anyone have a website that lets you see price intra-day fluctuations for longer than five days prior?

Ten Yard Fight said:
bigfishboy said:
:blackdot:
I should go back and look before I stick my foot in my mouth, but from what I remember they were relatively static after 2:30 est.Actually, I can't look at intra-day graphs prior to the last 5 busines days on Yahoo. I have looked at a couple other sites and found this as well. Does anyone have a website that lets you see price intra-day fluctuations for longer than five days prior?
Not from a free service that I know of.

Ten Yard Fight said:
bigfishboy said:
:rant:
Not from a free service that I know of.
Thanks.And DXO and UCO are pretty much stable after 2:30. But your right, financials...no so much.

David Dodds said:

Today:

Net = $2,936 loss

But for as violent as this market has been lately and for all the mistakes I have made in the past two months, I am actually thrilled today to just be slightly ahead. I was able to reduce my exposure greatly today with the big uptick in oil.
Does this mean that, including unrealized gains, your profit for the year is $1,837? Why not include unrealized gains in your profit/loss year-to-date? No mark-to-market accounting for you David? :goodposting:

David Dodds said:

Today:

Net = $2,936 loss

Does this mean that, including unrealized gains, your profit for the year is $1,837? Why not include unrealized gains in your profit/loss year-to-date? No mark-to-market accounting for you David? :unsure:
Not trying to hide anything at all, but I think it makes the most sense to say it the way I do (gains / losses that are in the books and stocks that are held).

sold 5,000 UCO @ $7.75. I just did not want to chance this falling way back further. Lost 33 cents a shares or $1650 - 12 commissions.

Pleased beyond words regarding getting out of everything but SBLK now with some of my year to date profit intact.

sold 5,000 UCO @ $7.75. I just did not want to chance this falling way back further. Lost 33 cents a shares or $1650 - 12 commissions. Pleased beyond words regarding getting out of everything but SBLK now with some of my year to date profit intact.
:lmao:I've heard a few people say that there should be a rally soon, followed closely by another steep sell-off. Glad you cut your losses. Hope all the others in here are doing alright as well.

I'm still holding 4,000 shares of UCO at an ave price of 8.99. Not sure what to do...I sure don't want to take a 4K loss, but I don't want to sit and hold this forever either as I have far too much capital exposed. I keep thinking that Oil has got to get back up to the $50 range and then should be able to get out at a profit, but this is a funny little ETF.

Any thoughts will be considered and appreciated.

I'm still holding 4,000 shares of UCO at an ave price of 8.99. Not sure what to do...I sure don't want to take a 4K loss, but I don't want to sit and hold this forever either as I have far too much capital exposed. I keep thinking that Oil has got to get back up to the $50 range and then should be able to get out at a profit, but this is a funny little ETF.Any thoughts will be considered and appreciated.
Crome, have you considered doing a covered call today on UCO? With the price back up you can get a pretty decent premium on those. Write them for a strike price when figuring in your premium you will collect that will get you close to even or make you a little profit. If UCO were to fall again, at least you'd still have the premium collected to average down your cost. I did this by writing some covered calls with a strike of 9. If you're wanting more up front money with a lower strike, you could write March 7.50 contracts right now that would pay you $1.10/share. If it falls below $7.50 on the expiration day you keep the $1.10. If UCO closes above $7.50 that day then essentially you've sold the shares for $8.60 and are out with a minimal loss.

I'm still holding 4,000 shares of UCO at an ave price of 8.99. Not sure what to do...I sure don't want to take a 4K loss, but I don't want to sit and hold this forever either as I have far too much capital exposed. I keep thinking that Oil has got to get back up to the $50 range and then should be able to get out at a profit, but this is a funny little ETF.Any thoughts will be considered and appreciated.
It's at 8.06 right now. Although the inventory report was good, I did not think it was outstanding. Inventories still rose. So the next week utilization will improve to get more gasoline in the market, but I still think there are many unknowns. Like what happened to all the oil that was on the Super Tankers. Remember they bought that oil for between $33-35 / barrel two months ago. One has to think with oil now at $45 / barrel, they are going to want to offload it. My gut feel is that although oil will likely go higher in June / July (or if a war breaks out soon), this seems like a rally that is at or very near it's peak for March. Personally I would sell it and look to make the money back elsewhere in the market.

Whoever suggested BAC. :goodposting:

Made myself a nice little profit of $32.76 so far with my 25 shares.

God I wish I had more money to invest! I have to resort risk taking with penny stocks to make anything. At least it takes away the stress of losing a ton of money.

Mark Davis said:
Cromedog said:
Crome, have you considered doing a covered call today on UCO? With the price back up you can get a pretty decent premium on those. Write them for a strike price when figuring in your premium you will collect that will get you close to even or make you a little profit. If UCO were to fall again, at least you'd still have the premium collected to average down your cost. I did this by writing some covered calls with a strike of 9. If you're wanting more up front money with a lower strike, you could write March 7.50 contracts right now that would pay you $1.10/share. If it falls below $7.50 on the expiration day you keep the $1.10. If UCO closes above $7.50 that day then essentially you've sold the shares for $8.60 and are out with a minimal loss.
David Dodds said:
Cromedog said:
It's at 8.06 right now. Although the inventory report was good, I did not think it was outstanding. Inventories still rose. So the next week utilization will improve to get more gasoline in the market, but I still think there are many unknowns. Like what happened to all the oil that was on the Super Tankers. Remember they bought that oil for between $33-35 / barrel two months ago. One has to think with oil now at $45 / barrel, they are going to want to offload it. My gut feel is that although oil will likely go higher in June / July (or if a war breaks out soon), this seems like a rally that is at or very near it's peak for March. Personally I would sell it and look to make the money back elsewhere in the market.
Thanks for the input guys...I think I'm gonna just sit tight and have some patience here...someone once told me that patience was a good virtue and I'm hoping it proves so here.

Mark Davis said:
Cromedog said:
Did this today with the 7.50 contracts. Will look to Buy to Close at some point in the next 2~3 weeks before expiration and lock in some of the premium to lower my cost basis. I'm wondering if it would have been better to sell the 9's. We'll see.

+1.64% today.

Gold ETFs had a great rally and Silver stocks up nicely. Shorts on the Dow were basically flat. Dow fighting hard not to close under 7552.
I gave my cousin (yes, I have A LOT of cousins) 10k to invest in physical gold & silver this summer. I know he bought me a 1000 gram bar of silver for just under 6k, I haven't gotten around to find out what he did with the rest of it.So I always hope you make a fortune but now even more so.

It looks like I'm going to be just about all in on DXO tomorrow, FML.
Good luck on DXO. I don't have the stomach to touch that one anymore. I'm holding 500 UCO and will probably just hold on to it since it's down nearly 50% since I bought it, but I got all out of the DXO. FML too.
Thanks GB. I added another 1100 DXO this morning at $1.85.
Good luck. I'm getting kilt today.
ANNNND OUTBought 3600 DXO @$2.10 Sold @2.47 +$1332.00

Bought 1000 UCO @$7.99 Sold @8.20 +$210.00

Whoever suggested BAC. :yes: Made myself a nice little profit of $32.76 so far with my 25 shares. God I wish I had more money to invest! I have to resort risk taking with penny stocks to make anything. At least it takes away the stress of losing a ton of money.
DXO is still a bargain at $2.44, IMO.

+1.64% today.

Gold ETFs had a great rally and Silver stocks up nicely. Shorts on the Dow were basically flat. Dow fighting hard not to close under 7552.
I gave my cousin (yes, I have A LOT of cousins) 10k to invest in physical gold & silver this summer. I know he bought me a 1000 gram bar of silver for just under 6k, I haven't gotten around to find out what he did with the rest of it.So I always hope you make a fortune but now even more so.

It looks like I'm going to be just about all in on DXO tomorrow, FML.
Good luck on DXO. I don't have the stomach to touch that one anymore. I'm holding 500 UCO and will probably just hold on to it since it's down nearly 50% since I bought it, but I got all out of the DXO. FML too.
Thanks GB. I added another 1100 DXO this morning at $1.85.
Good luck. I'm getting kilt today.
ANNNND OUTBought 3600 DXO @$2.10 Sold @2.47 +$1332.00

Bought 1000 UCO @$7.99 Sold @8.20 +$210.00
Amazed UCO ran that high up and kicking myself a bit I did not wait. Very good job Bob.

Year to date profit = $8,725

Today:

sold 5,000 UCO for a $1,662 loss

3,000 shares of SBLK @ $3.04 (current loss of $4,560)

300 shares of SCO @41.27 (current loss of $171)

Just waiting and holding more here. Upset that I did not take the $500+ profit on SCO today (Had it set to trigger at $650). And UCO went all the way to $8.20 which would have also been very nice as well (I sold at $7.75). But after weeks of being very upside down here, I am thankful to have survived this stretch with my dollars intact.

I still think the Dry Shipping sector looks the juiciest to me right now, but waiting for a great day to buy in (when NASDAQ plummets and BDI shows signs of improving).

I cost averaged down my SBLK holding to $2.19. Although the run-up on OIL and DCO was nice today, I'm still upside down on those since I own at $19.30, and $9.23 respectively. I'm gonna wait a bit more to sell, as I meant to go long when I started, so here I am. Unfortunately, the economic news has been more grim than I thought a month ago, and I'm not so sure that I'm gonna recoup back to even.

I sold off about 30% of my OIL holdings at $17.75 today, just to get some breathing room.

BTW, has anyone used Charles Schwab for a brokerage account? They have a 2% cash-back VISA card that drops directly into a brokerage account. Since I'm in the market for a new CC, I figure this might be a nice option, especially since I'm gonna have to leave Zecco (they raised the min for 10 free trades to $25k, and I don't have nearly that in there).

So thoughts on Charles Schwab?

Here's a link to the card: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/bankin...vl2=credit_card

=

I shopped for a new broker to establish a separate day trading gambling account that makes it difficult to access funds I shouldn't be playing with and as I recall Schwab was expensive if you are trading regularly. I took Wells Fargo up on a 100 free trades, fwiw. I was already a checking, credit and savings customer and it was a fast and simple transfer.

On another note, just listened to the CEO of the Courage Marine Group discuss shipping. Very pessimistic. The guy interviewing him said, "Why don't you just close shop?" :shrug:

His answer was telling. His company has cash. He can last this out. He expects a third of the global fleet to be scrapped in the next two years and heavily leveraged companies to go down. Then it should be smooth sailing for the streamlined companies (like his). Again, I think this is bad new for EXM, but SBLK's balance sheet looks good.

I ordered FAZ @ 50 today and it filled and gained 9% (small exposure here). I locked profits with a trailing stop at 5% and feel right shorting something. I've been mostly on the sidelines but FAS and FAZ have made the most sense to me (as far as how and when they move) for the last month. The trend is still down so going long is beating into the wind.

Although the Elliot Wave is predicting a big rally.

There's another 2% cash back CC offer that links to a Fidelity brokerage account. Link to Application

Can anyone chime in on Fidelity?

Aside from the rise in the bottom limit for free trades, Zecco has been doing just fine by me.

BTW, has anyone used Charles Schwab for a brokerage account? They have a 2% cash-back VISA card that drops directly into a brokerage account. Since I'm in the market for a new CC, I figure this might be a nice option, especially since I'm gonna have to leave Zecco (they raised the min for 10 free trades to $25k, and I don't have nearly that in there).

Here's a link to the card: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/bankin...vl2=credit_card
:thumbup: I've already got my Schwab cards, just waiting for the electronic deposit stuff to go through to set everything up. I just ordered these because the Countrywide 2% cards are going away (boo on them).

I'm also with Zecco, but don't plan on leaving them. I'll just move a bit to satisfy Schwab and probably move a holding or two that are fairly static (JNJ or something similar).

:goodposting: I've already got my Schwab cards, just waiting for the electronic deposit stuff to go through to set everything up. I just ordered these because the Countrywide 2% cards are going away (boo on them).

I'm also with Zecco, but don't plan on leaving them. I'll just move a bit to satisfy Schwab and probably move a holding or two that are fairly static (JNJ or something similar).
Thanks for the link. Was your approval instant? Mine wasn't. Kinda scratching my head, because in some credit card applications, no instant approval means no approval. My fico score is 720... We'll see. 2% is pretty solid.

sold 300 shares of SCO at $43 for 1.73 per share profit less 12 commissions = $507 profit.

added 5,000 shares of SBLK at an average price of $1.48

I ordered FAZ @ 50 today and it filled and gained 9% (small exposure here). I locked profits with a trailing stop at 5% and feel right shorting something. I've been mostly on the sidelines but FAS and FAZ have made the most sense to me (as far as how and when they move) for the last month. The trend is still down so going long is beating into the wind.
The trailing stop exectuted with a 20% winner. WIsh I was more confident and made a bigger trade. Still,banked 2k last Friday and $500 this morning, just poking it with a stick. GL everyone.

DD, I'm terribly averse to long positions but if SBLK keeps getting hammered, it's going to pay big. I learned the hard way how dumb cost averaging can be in this volatility, but... I don't blame you for chasing/fixing that one.

added 4,000 NM (another Dry Shipping Company) at $2.11

I plan to hold onto these Dry Shipping Companies through May (adding / deleting positions on the ups and downs of the market). I feel this sector has been ravaged beyond any sense or reasonableness and plan to hold large positions waiting for the inevitable large bounce.

:hifive: I've already got my Schwab cards, just waiting for the electronic deposit stuff to go through to set everything up. I just ordered these because the Countrywide 2% cards are going away (boo on them).

Thanks for the link. Was your approval instant? Mine wasn't. Kinda scratching my head, because in some credit card applications, no instant approval means no approval. My fico score is 720... We'll see. 2% is pretty solid.
Mine was, and for a ridiculously high monthly limit (who said credit is hard to come by?). I'll never come close to using the limit.I'd call them about the status - you can link the Schwab One account at the same time. You need that linkage to get the 2%. In the Fatwallet forum there were several that didn't get instant approval that were approved.

Man DXO looks good at $2 but I think it goes lower tomorrow. I really hope I'm right.
Similar to me and DBO. I'm accumulating shares of it in my SEP. I thought about going in today but figure in this market I have a lot more to gain by waiting another day or two and watching the action. Nothing we've seen lately indicates we're about to run out of buying opportunities.

Let's hope that the Dry Shipping Sector rebounds.

Also, oil is under $40/bbl again. I reloaded some of the $$ into OIL@15.75 that I sold off (at a loss mind you) last week.

added 1,000 PRGN @ 3.02

added 2,000 EXM @ 3.17

and I find myself upside down again in the Dry Shippers, but I am not selling. In fact if it goes lower tomorrow with the BDI near 2,000 I will be adding to these positions.

I still suspect the oil inventory report could be a bad one and will wait until after Wednesday to determine what to do there. Both DXO and UCO appear cheap though and I may jump in if they fall much on Tuesday pre-report just hoping for the huge gainer should the inventory report be good news.

I will summarize where I am later. Market is clearly hurting here though.

Year to date profit = $9,232

Holding these positions:

1000 PRGN @ 3.02 (current price 3.15)

4000 EXM @ 3.36 (current price 3.33)

8000 NM @ 1.99 (current price 1.87)

8000 SBLK @ 2.065 (current price 1.37)

Upside down here (mostly in SBLK), but today is making a rally. I am holding until April/May based on the BDI which was up slightly today. I expect all of these to rebound significantly from these lows.

MLPs getting crushed today - bought some more KMP and EPD.

Also bought a bit of BBT hoping for a bounce - woops. Pure panic out there as BBT is about the strongest bank in the country and has been raising its dividend. But I'll take 12% until it pops.

Users who are viewing this thread