What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Stock Value Strategy Starts Now (1 Viewer)

Remember when the US rally was over, China/EM play was becoming a bubble, and the USD snaped back vs the trend?

Remember when the US rally was over, China/EM play was becoming a bubble, and the USD snaped back vs the trend?
Unpack this please.
CNBC crowd discussed the recovery of the USD and the popping of a Commodity/China equities bubble all day yesterday. Today everything has recovered and then some.The one big fly in the ointment today could be the 7 year US treasury auction. Yesterdays 5 year was lame and the interest rate paid was higher then expected. I'm expecting similar results today.

BDI got a bit beat up today

Baltic Indices

Baltic Dry 3,445 (-1.54%)

Baltic Capesize 5,585 (-2.09%)

Baltic Panamax 3,282 (-2.38%)

Baltic Supramax 2,089 (-0.10%)

Baltic Handysize 888 (+0.45%)

As of 07/30/09

Frustrated that FREE won't take off. HEB seems destined to go lower before some level of news breaks it out. Aaargh. Holding both of these through August though as I expect earnings from FREE and some news from HEB to change these outcomes. I suppose it's only paper losses if I don't sell.

I'd like to fish for some opinions from you technical guys if I could (this means you Siff).

We hit as high as 996 on the S&P today. If you look at the chart, this brings us back to the highs of 11/4 (1,006) and/or 10/13 (1,003). These are the highest of hi's on the chart after the market went south from 1,300 last September.

I'd really like to hear some thoughts on what this means from a technical standpoint. What happens if we get over 1,006? Do we head back down if we don't and what the support would be....

Seems like this is just as critical if not more then when the market was held up at 940ish.

I did not want to get a lot deeper in this market, but bought 2,000 SBLK here at 3.62. This news is HUGE in my opinion:

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/keyD...=20090730125400
I saw this as a negative. The Ypsilon was their best ship making 100K a day on the contact that expires in 2011. In a conference call they said is was being dry docked this quarter for 48 days which I thought was a little suspect. Turns out to be a broken contract. Selling the ship was ok I guess as they could never get that cape fully chartered.

None_More_Black said:
David Dodds said:
I did not want to get a lot deeper in this market, but bought 2,000 SBLK here at 3.62. This news is HUGE in my opinion:

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/keyD...=20090730125400
I saw this as a negative. The Ypsilon was their best ship making 100K a day on the contact that expires in 2011. In a conference call they said is was being dry docked this quarter for 48 days which I thought was a little suspect. Turns out to be a broken contract. Selling the ship was ok I guess as they could never get that cape fully chartered.
My take is this: They sold the ship for $20M which stops the bleeding of a ship that is not being chartered. This also makes the legal case regarding the contract a slam dunk. Obviously the company that broke the contract is in the wrong, but they are breaking the contract because they know they can get another company to do the work for 1/2 the money now. So SBLK gets a $20M cash infusion now, a likely settlement soon for another $5-10M or so for the broken contract and they actually diversify out of a Cape (which are big money makers if you can get chartered, but are big drags on the bottom line when things like this happen). The rest of the news in this release talked about locking up another Cape in 2010. To me this is a management team that gets it. They sold the ship to solidify their case for a settlement. And since the breaching company isn't going out of business (to my knowledge), I think a settlement is coming very soon. The stock should jump once this gets announced.

David Dodds said:
Frustrated that FREE won't take off. HEB seems destined to go lower before some level of news breaks it out. Aaargh. Holding both of these through August though as I expect earnings from FREE and some news from HEB to change these outcomes. I suppose it's only paper losses if I don't sell.
They had 21mm shares outstanding. 5mm were held by insiders. That leaves 16mm on the market. They just added another 10mm to the market.Anyone who wanted to own this company at these leaves could have. There can not be much demand for this stock in the market at this time. I wouldn't expect a rocketship. It will be interesting to see what they do with all the cash they just raised.

OK I dumped the SBLK at 3.60 as I am just unclear what their news means. It really could be quite awful. Small loss of $52.

I have an order in to buy 10,000 FREE at 1.83 here. Damn I am getting in way deeper than I want to be right now here. With just 13 minutes to go, I doubt I get all of these shares.

As for what FREE will do with the money, they owe quite a bit of debt (and have a huge balloon payment due in 2012). I am guessing they rework their debt to be in compliance with covenants and to get themselves healthier in this current market. This was a company that some feared would go under when the BDI was under 1,000.

Not that anyone asked, but I am officially 50% out of the market. I just sold half my two largest posisitons (MSCI International and MSCI Emerging)

Now in..

22.25% MSCI International

22.25% MSCI Emerging

6.5% Metals

49% Cash/Bonds

This is outside of my trading account and a cash fund pension account.

I'm not looking to be out for long if we cross/hold 1,010 on the S&P. It's been such a good run, i wanted to bank some of the gains.

Mark Davis said:
KGB said:
Any SRSR holders not kill themselves yet?
Can you tie the noose if I buy the rope?
Well, we bounced off resistance @ 8 cents several times today. The fact that we closed above should be good news. Hopefully, the downside is now over.
I like to think had I been here at lunch Monday on the run up to $.188 I would have sold...likely at $.18 or $.185. Losing 57% in 72 hours has taken a bit of the wind out of the sails here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCNF will release earnings after bell 8/5 with CC pre-market 8/6.

You guys think this will run up 10-20% in the days prior?

Hopefully each of these shippers releases and beats and it each boosts all the others. Could be an awesome two weeks for PRGN...

I'd like to fish for some opinions from you technical guys if I could (this means you Siff).

We hit as high as 996 on the S&P today. If you look at the chart, this brings us back to the highs of 11/4 (1,006) and/or 10/13 (1,003). These are the highest of hi's on the chart after the market went south from 1,300 last September.

I'd really like to hear some thoughts on what this means from a technical standpoint. What happens if we get over 1,006? Do we head back down if we don't and what the support would be....

Seems like this is just as critical if not more then when the market was held up at 940ish.
3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)3 Members: The Ref, This is LJ, siffoin

Ahem...

Keep an eye on SYNJ. Sitting at .003, up 60% today. 4 single orders of 5M shares or more on heavier volume but there was no news. Bullish chart. This could run some more. If you want to gamble, take a look.

Check out this SRSR 60m chart. Holy crap. We've got the holy trinity of extra-bullish indicators. Pincher play (ADX>40, PPO<-10, RSI2,5 <30), MACD bullish cross imminent, and support validation with the MA50. As hard as this has fallen, I think it can roar back up just as easily. We've got to hope I'm right for once; if we fall below the support, we're in for a world of pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that anyone asked, but I am officially 50% out of the market. I just sold half my two largest posisitons (MSCI International and MSCI Emerging)Now in..22.25% MSCI International22.25% MSCI Emerging6.5% Metals49% Cash/BondsThis is outside of my trading account and a cash fund pension account. I'm not looking to be out for long if we cross/hold 1,010 on the S&P. It's been such a good run, i wanted to bank some of the gains.
I just went to move some of my 401k to cash (up almost 10% ytd AND missed the huge tumble last year :thumbup: ) and was informed I am now only allowed to make ONE TRANSACTION PER QUARTER :bag: . WTF. Anything I can do about this?

GDP Data not good...looks like it could get ugly today for us Bulls.
so you think the "not as bad as we expected" train derails now?
July 31 (Bloomberg) -- The first 12 months of the U.S. recession saw the economy shrink more than twice as much as previously estimated, reflecting even bigger declines in consumer spending and housing, revised figures showed. The world’s largest economy contracted 1.9 percent from the fourth quarter of 2007 to the last three months of 2008, compared with the 0.8 percent drop previously on the books, the Commerce Department said today in Washington.

Anyone with a few hundred bucks and some patience may want to check out MSTF. They keep PR’ing new contracts with the state of Cali. There is an SEC filing which confirms revenues of 5-25 million. They do medical/healthcare staffing. Stock is stuck at .0001/.0002 and there are billions of shares outstanding, but when it finally gets out of the 0001/0002 rut you could flip for an easy 3-4 bagger.

July 31 (Bloomberg) -- The first 12 months of the U.S. recession saw the economy shrink more than twice as much as previously estimated, reflecting even bigger declines in consumer spending and housing, revised figures showed. The world's largest economy contracted 1.9 percent from the fourth quarter of 2007 to the last three months of 2008, compared with the 0.8 percent drop previously on the books, the Commerce Department said today in Washington.
This is just a revision of last year's GDP data. The government revises data every 5 years, so this info is basically meaningless. The real info is:4Q08: (5.4%)1Q09: (6.4%)2Q09: (1.0%)The decrease was expected to be (1.5%), so it's actually very good news....

Not that anyone asked, but I am officially 50% out of the market. I just sold half my two largest posisitons (MSCI International and MSCI Emerging)Now in..22.25% MSCI International22.25% MSCI Emerging6.5% Metals49% Cash/BondsThis is outside of my trading account and a cash fund pension account. I'm not looking to be out for long if we cross/hold 1,010 on the S&P. It's been such a good run, i wanted to bank some of the gains.
I just went to move some of my 401k to cash (up almost 10% ytd AND missed the huge tumble last year :goodposting: ) and was informed I am now only allowed to make ONE TRANSACTION PER QUARTER :thumbup: . WTF. Anything I can do about this?
Take out a loan?

LJ...do you see .10 as any kind of emotional resistance for SRSR or have most of the people in it been holding long enough to not even be thinking about it?

I just went to move some of my 401k to cash (up almost 10% ytd AND missed the huge tumble last year :goodposting: ) and was informed I am now only allowed to make ONE TRANSACTION PER QUARTER :thumbup: . WTF. Anything I can do about this?
Sure, have you plan administrator give me a call! You're in a crappy 401k plan!

Not to beat this into the ground, but PGNE is back up again.
i am pretty annoyed I sold my free shares at .085.
I too have the annoyance. Was talking to my stepfather on the phone telling him that i'm going to take possession of my 2.50 calls LVS options next month, about 20 minutes before the bell. While i'm talking I see LVS dropping after a nice run up all day. Had a chance to ####can it with over 200%+ profit. Sold at the bell this morning for just over 100%. Still holding the 2.50 calls (will still take possession next month) but lessened my exposure on the 10 calls and 12.50 calls to 10 legs and 5 legs respectively. I hate when cramer is right. Bulls make money, bears make money, and i lost 100%+. NOt quite a slaughter making money, but definetly piggish.

Anyone still invested in SPNG?

link

JERSEY DEAL: A day after commenting on their partnership with the Ohio Lottery, the Bengals announced that they have a deal with SpongeTech to be a sponsor on their practice jerseys. The Jets, Bears and Colts are among the teams that have recently signed the same type of deal with sponsors.

July 31 (Bloomberg) -- The first 12 months of the U.S. recession saw the economy shrink more than twice as much as previously estimated, reflecting even bigger declines in consumer spending and housing, revised figures showed. The world's largest economy contracted 1.9 percent from the fourth quarter of 2007 to the last three months of 2008, compared with the 0.8 percent drop previously on the books, the Commerce Department said today in Washington.
This is just a revision of last year's GDP data. The government revises data every 5 years, so this info is basically meaningless. The real info is:4Q08: (5.4%)1Q09: (6.4%)2Q09: (1.0%)The decrease was expected to be (1.5%), so it's actually very good news....
OK...good.

Users who are viewing this thread