What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Top 25,000 Songs (1 Viewer)

Digging Theologians and Handshake Drugs

Gonna have to break out a spreadsheet one day. Leaning strongly towards outsourcing top 100 picks from Beatles, Stones, Bowie, and Dylan.  Who am I to quibble within a context of the top 25,000.  Well, pretty sure it's safe to say Tim made a customary awful pick or two.  I can sort through that.

ETA: ####, the words in my brain never, ever match the text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly posting this as a placeholder to remind me to add more Old 97's/Rhett Miller songs.  When it comes to turning a phrase, or saying a lot with a few words, he's up there and he comes across as a nice guy's Ryan Adams. And ultimately a better singer-songwriter.

Busted Afternoon

Weightless

Buick City Complex

Weightless and Buick City Complex are things of beauty.

Mister CIA said:
Mostly posting this as a placeholder to remind me to add more Old 97's/Rhett Miller songs.  When it comes to turning a phrase, or saying a lot with a few words, he's up there and he comes across as a nice guy's Ryan Adams. And ultimately a better singer-songwriter.

Busted Afternoon

Weightless

Buick City Complex

Weightless and Buick City Complex are things of beauty.
Rethinking the highlighted text above.  Ryan Adams pretty good.  It's close.

I have similar inner-debates about Lucero vs Drive-By Truckers.  Consensus is that DBT rules, but Lucero checks more boxes.

First-World Blues, I got'em.

Any James Levy fans in the world? I can only imagine daydream about the NYC hipstress tail this guy reels in.

Fall For You - Brilliant song, this acoustic version does not do it justice. The song I got from iTunes is rich with a bass riff somewhat reminiscent of Spacehog's In the Meantime.

Don't Do It

Rotten Love

Except You
Every couple of years I throw James Levy in the Google. He still pumps out few good tunes every now and again.   I'm typically averse to the Damien Rice's of the world, but this guy strikes all the right guilty pleasure notes.

Songs of Love

Bell

Somebody

NYC

Mister CIA said:
Every couple of years I throw James Levy in the Google. He still pumps out few good tunes every now and again.   I'm typically averse to the Damien Rice's of the world, but this guy strikes all the right guilty pleasure notes.

Songs of Love

Bell

Somebody

NYC
This is good stuff.  Will investigate further.

This is good stuff.  Will investigate further.
This guy, and his band, Levy, first hit my radar back in the early oughts. They had a very minor hit, Rotten Love, which I liked.  Saw a blurb that the song was written about his girlfriend, Regina Spektor, after she saddled up with Julian Casablancas (frontman for The Strokes). ...segue ... the band, Levy, rides on a spectrum that sways back and forth between the sounds of Coldplay and The Strokes, which is to say there are some guilty pleasure indulgences going on when I listen to them.

He's since transitioned quite nicely into the singer/songwriter mold.  His voice and acoustic guitar pair nicely.

And now I have a bee in my bonnet.  I tend to have OCD tendencies about songs I love - will play them back to back many times until finally I move on. Levy had one such song and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the song.  I'm going hunting.  Pretty sure I first pulled it from Apple iTunes back in the days when my kids would buy me $15 iTunes gift cards. ... Have not used iTunes in over 10 years.

Will see if I can pull more up on teh youtubes too.  Search seemed pretty sparce last night, but on my youTube subscription I can pull up a few albums, where the specific song titles might help with my gen-pop youTube searches.

Continuing with my attraction to the band Low Cut Connie,  I've discovered they have an ongoing Friday night live stream, Tough Cookies, playing on YouTube. The weekly shows are themed (sample size = 2) - last week was devoted to Sly Stone, and this week's stream was all about Richard Hell and the Voidoids.

Besides being an energetic talented frontman, Adam Weiner is quite the rock historian and a budding interviewer.

Nothing but love.

Just stumbled across this band for the first time and I'm digging 'em.  JJ Grey and Mofro.

At first I though they were very popular cover band-esque, but I could not quite put them down.  I can't place who the singer and the band remind me of.  I hear bits of Elvin Bishop, Robert Palmer, Mason Ruffner, and Delbert McClinton; and the sounds of Memphis too.  He's got a speech characteristic that reminds me of the Robert Bradley.  I'm sure there is a technical term that escapes me.  Ultimately its the bass and drum rthythm that I crave.  Just a super cool groove going on a lot of the time.  

...and there are horns

Maybe he's not breaking any new ground, but man his band is always going in the right direction.

Brighter Days

The Sweetest Thing ... with Toots Hibbert

Lochloosa

Write a Letter

Just stumbled across this band for the first time and I'm digging 'em.  JJ Grey and Mofro.

At first I though they were very popular cover band-esque, but I could not quite put them down.  I can't place who the singer and the band remind me of.  I hear bits of Elvin Bishop, Robert Palmer, Mason Ruffner, and Delbert McClinton; and the sounds of Memphis too.  He's got a speech characteristic that reminds me of the Robert Bradley.  I'm sure there is a technical term that escapes me.  Ultimately its the bass and drum rthythm that I crave.  Just a super cool groove going on a lot of the time.  

...and there are horns

Maybe he's not breaking any new ground, but man his band is always going in the right direction.

Brighter Days

The Sweetest Thing ... with Toots Hibbert

Lochloosa

Write a Letter
Good stuff.  Write A Letter sounds like it could be a Black Crowes song.

I'm gonna stop cluttering Shuke's thread and keep the rest of my Tanita Tikaram love right here.  I've been in love with her since 1991, so she has been around for a while.  I think she's approaching Van Morrison status, where she moan about anything and sound great.

Exhibit A:  Food on My Table

Users who are viewing this thread